R.I.P. UMD - 6/05 - 7/06

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

C-Dic
Oh, dear dear Universal Media Disc, we hardly knew ye, much less ever cared about you.

Sony Discontinues Production of UMD Movies Indefinately

Nevermind
Haha, about time. I'm sure he's in home entertainment heaven with 8-track, mini disc & laser disc.

Solo
I don't think anybody really cares.

Wolfie
That article made me laugh. God, UMDs were terrible.

BackFire
Will Blueray suffer the same fate? Only time will tell!

Impediment
HA! I know a guy who bought tlike 40 of those things, thinking he was gonna build up a library. Good riddance, if you ask me.

C-Dic
Originally posted by BackFire
Will Blueray suffer the same fate? Only time will tell!

Well, it is Sony..so..

Dusty
I've got the 'Hellboy' UMD. cool

Maybe one day they will be worth something.

BackFire
Originally posted by C-Dic
Well, it is Sony..so..

Yeah, I know. They don't have a very good track record.

tabby999
the idea (and this new idea too) suck right from word go, they had one crap product, then to make their money back release another pretty crap product with a limited selection and massive price. god damn, most people learn from their mistakes, Sony seems to wallow in their own defeat on this one huh

WrathfulDwarf
Betamax...anyone?

Wolfie
I'm confused about the Duo Stick. So you buy it and can only choose one of four movies to watch?

tabby999
and it costs about a hundred bucks too...go figure!

thegreatrudini
when will sony learn, they are trying to hard to cover every market they are best off just staying with the stuff they are good at!

Matrix_4_ever
I liked UMDs I just wish they were sold at a lower price. $20 for a movie is way to much. $10 would have been perfect, for me at least.

Mišt
Originally posted by Nevermind
Haha, about time.

steverules
I'm glad I don't have to buy UMD's no more, I bought like 3 movies. I'm glad they will bring them out on a memory card though. That'll be cool

Wolfie
Originally posted by steverules
I'm glad I don't have to buy UMD's no more, I bought like 3 movies. I'm glad they will bring them out on a memory card though. That'll be cool
No one told you you had to. In fact, if you read about them here, you were almost told not to.

C-Dic
The only titles that will be made available are SONY's titles..so you've got blockbuster epics like "SWAT", "Hitch", "XXX" and it looks like "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", which is a stupid medium to be released on anyway.

steverules
Originally posted by Wolfie
No one told you you had to. In fact, if you read about them here, you were almost told not to.

I know I only bought them cause they were good movie's. Plus I wanted some movies for the long car journeys.

coolmovies
why did they make them in the first place

WrathfulDwarf
Well, it's official now. The UMD format is completely DEAD:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163328.html

The power of the PSP! No longer just a hand held gaming gadget.

The Core
Download service?? Nobody watches movies on these things!!

Wolfie
Depending on the price of the movie downloads, this could be better than the UMD.

However, Sony is full of shit. I'm losing respect for their Playstation by the minute. PS3, PSP, they're video game consoles, stop trying to pack in every other media form into these things and focus on making good games.

WrathfulDwarf
Oh dear....Sony is completely out touch with reality:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26420

The future of UMD is bright? BRIGHT? I understand it's their product and all....but to be that confident? Something acceptable would be like this:

"UMD maybe struggling right now but we'll get this ship sailing"

or

"The future is UMD is still unknown..but we're willing to keep trying"

Sony is gone cuckoo....

Wolfie
They can try, but UMD movies are still going to continue dying.

OB1-adobe
unless movies become $8 or less

Wolfie
I've seen them cheaper.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.