Something that never made any sense in A New Hope.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr Parker
A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back IMO are the only good star wars films that have been made but something I have always wondered about in A New Hope is remember towards the end of A New Hope when Obi One and Darth Vader are fighting each other with their lightsabers and when Obi One looks over and sees Luke he then then stops fighting Vader and raises his light saber up in the air and clutches it and lets Vader cut him down? That never made any sense to me,why he did that.I have constantly over the years asked myself that question why he did that and all I can come up with is that he was maybe trying to impress Luke because he smiles at him before he does that but if thats what he was trying to do,he did a poor job of it because that was hardly impressive. laughing It makes no sense to me why he just gave up like that to me does it to you? confused

Captain REX
He sacrificed himself so that the Falcon could leave. Had he not done so, the Falcon would have had to wait for Kenobi to finish the fight, and it was a stalemate as it was. In the time that the Falcon would have been waiting, Luke and crew might have been noticed.

Kenobi knew he couldn't win, so let himself be cut down.

Also, wrong section. wink

Mr Parker
Damn its always so confusing.I was thinking it being the first one made it was episode one. I bet this happens to Ush quite a bit where he has to move it. big grin I was going to say that explanation doesnt make any sense because they could have left while Ben was having the fight especially since the fight brought the attention to the Storm Troopers and made them leave their post leaving the ship unguarded but then Ben knew Luke would not leave without him,so seeing there was no way out for Obi One,it makes sense now.Also as Vader said,Obi Ones powers as an old man were weak.Him being an old man and everything,he was near his time of death anyways.

Ushgarak
Look what happens just before. Obi-Wan looks at Luke.

Ben knew that Luke wasn't going to leave. He had to finish the issue NOW. Ben knee he had thr ghost trick ready to go, and on consideration, decided that he had now done his part, completed the mission he had set out to do so long ago- and that he would be more use now doing what he did. Furthermore, it would throw Vader off the scent (indeed, Vader is still saying that Obi-Wan cannot help Luke now in the next episode- he never does suss it out. Of course, that leads back to how he ghost tricks at all later on... but nvm that).

But he could not wait any more.

Moved.

Tangible God
The real question should be, why did Obi-Wan melt?

*-=Fat sacK=-*
Yeah why didn't he die like all the other deaths star wars why melting.

overlord
Very original question.. Probably has never been asked before!

Mr Parker
Maybe that was why he closed his eyes,that he had some kind of trick as a jedi knight to disappear like that once he got cut down and he was getting ready to do that so he was concentrating.

jollyjim311
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Maybe that was why he closed his eyes,that he had some kind of trick as a jedi knight to disappear like that once he got cut down and he was getting ready to do that so he was concentrating.

What a crazy theory... I don't think it will catch on!!!

Be serious, guys.

overlord
Well.. Lucas had the crazy idea of Obi Wan just returning in RotJ in the first rough draft of the movie so it wasn't such a far fetched theory for Lucas in the past apparently!
fear

Darth_Hexus
true...

Jam-Jul_Lison
this is an answer i knew since i was like 6. lol While I did not know becoming a spirit was some sort of technique, I did know that he sacrifised himself so that Luke and the others could escape and then he could later on help Luke when he needed it. It is not to complicated to comprehend. I do not know why people have trouble with it.

Also as for ANH and ESB being the only good ones. Uhh rewatch all the movies again kid. Below is the movies in order that I like them best.

1. ROTJ
2. ROTS
3. ESB
4. ANH
5. TPM
6. AOTC

overlord
Uh-oh, the very highly acclaimed opinion of Jam Jul.. fear

Mr Parker
yeah he about made me fall out of my chair laughing ranking ROTJ and ROTS ahead of ESB and ANH. laughing laughing laughing out loud laughing

greenangel
Obi-wan knew he would become more powerful if Vader struck him down......doh

moviefreak_173
overlord, In the original drafts of Star Wars, Obi-Wan returned because, he didn't fight vader and die. And he taught Luke instead of Yoda throughout the entire Star Wars script, but when the script was split into 3 parts he needed somekind of drama at the end of ANH so he killed Obi-Wan. But by doing this he had to have someone train Luke, and that is why Yoda was thought up. This is mentioned in the Empire of Dreams documentary.

The Overmaster
Actually, I always thought he and Yoda disapperead because they knew that Spirit Force technique thing. Noone else did, except for Qui Gon but I assumed he learned it later when he was dead.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by greenangel
Obi-wan knew he would become more powerful if Vader struck him down......doh

I at first thought about that explanation and thought maybe that was why but he didnt become anymore powerful when that happened.Rex's explanation is the logical one.

overlord
Originally posted by moviefreak_173
overlord, In the original drafts of Star Wars, Obi-Wan returned because, he didn't fight vader and die. And he taught Luke instead of Yoda throughout the entire Star Wars script, but when the script was split into 3 parts he needed somekind of drama at the end of ANH so he killed Obi-Wan. But by doing this he had to have someone train Luke, and that is why Yoda was thought up. This is mentioned in the Empire of Dreams documentary. No, you should read that rough draft of RotJ, Obi Wan just materializes as I remember correctly. Or did Lucas actually write the whole saga before finishing ANH? huh

Everything I've read so far is contradicting to that idea..

Jam-Jul_Lison
Originally posted by overlord
No, you should read that rough draft of RotJ, Obi Wan just materializes as I remember correctly. Or did Lucas actually write the whole saga before finishing ANH? huh

Everything I've read so far is contradicting to that idea..

It is obvious that Lucas did not plan out all the movies at once. If he had, then I doubt he would have had Luke and Leia kiss in ANH in the falcon. At the time I think he planned on those two getting together eventualy. I think he however changed his mind on that when he wrote ESB. It is obvious that Lucas changes his mind often. The greedo shooting first incident is proof of that.

overlord
Originally posted by Jam-Jul_Lison
It is obvious that Lucas did not plan out all the movies at once. If he had, then I doubt he would have had Luke and Leia kiss in ANH in the falcon. At the time I think he planned on those two getting together eventualy. I think he however changed his mind on that when he wrote ESB. It is obvious that Lucas changes his mind often. The greedo shooting first incident is proof of that. I don't think Leia and Luke ever kissed in ANH.

Mr Parker
No they never did kiss in ANH.He is confusing the kiss scene from ESB with ANH where in Empire,They kissed in the falcon towards the end when Lando and Leia rescued Luke from Cloud City.Yeah its obvious that Lucas did not plan out all the movies at once.If he had,he would never have had Leia kiss Luke with passion like she did in Empire when Luke was resting in the medical center on Tundra after Han rescued him.Yeah its obvious that Lucas in the beginning wanted Luke to hook up with Leia but changed his mind about it with solo and came up with that lame ass idea of Luke and Leia being brothers and sisters.That more than anything ruined the whole movie for me in Jedi.Because that was why Luke went off to the galaxy in the first place was he was so in love with this image of a princess he saw and then in a one a zillion chances,she happens to be his sister.yeah right. roll eyes (sarcastic) pitiful screenwriting.

Jam-Jul_Lison
You are right. The only kissing between the two in ANH is Leia kissing Luke on the cheek on the death star. lol. She also kisses him on the cheek just before he get's ready to get in his X-Wing in the hanger of the Rebel Base. lol They did not actualy french until ESB. Still my point remains. Lucas often changes his mind. lol

OB1-adobe
Isn't this topic like 4 threads down below this one?

sick

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.