The Prestige

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Solo
http://imdb.com/title/tt0482571/
http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchstone/theprestige/

The plot didn't impress me much. Then I finally found the trailer and it looks promising.

Bale seems to have a little "Bill The Butcher" look going on.

buddha1822
This movie looks amazing!! It also looks like an early 1900's version of Batman Begins (haha, oh Michael Caine!) but, still, amazing. I'm definitely pumped for this!

Also, if anyone's missed it, there is an indy-ish film with the same "magician" like story as this one, called The Illusionist with Edward Norton - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443543/. Trailer is out for that, too.

Both of these "magician" movies look AWESOME! Let's hope this doesn't become a trend though and we have 2 years of crappy magician movies after these... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Dusty
There's a thread in the Sci-fi forum, but at YKF's request, lets have one for the MDF. smile

I want to see the trailer, but I can't on my grandma's 30 kbs dial-up. sad

Solo
I don't see how it's a sci-fi or a fantasy film...

Myth
If it is indeed "real magic", then it would be in fantasy. The thing is, that seems to be a mystery.

Dusty
Bump!

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Woo-hoo! That's all I have to say...

Well, actually I do have a little more:

The trailer looks great. The cast is fantastic, and the director is tip-top. Good stuff.

Tex
Looks very interesting, the "Illusionist" looks somewhat comparable.

Kram3r
Looks like an interesting flick to me. I'll be checking it out.

Murray
Christopher Nolan is amazing. I can't wait to see this film!

Plus, I love Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale.

Leggy_n_Merry
Originally posted by Murray

Me too yes and Scarlett Johansson (as you probably have gathered).

I said this in the other thread but yay this film looks so good I can't wait!

It looks much better than 'The Illusionist'.

fionalin7
i have seen the illusionist and i can say that the movie was beautifully mounted and it was thoroughly enjoyable. edward norton and paul giamatti are both at the top of their game. i wonder if the prestige would be this hit...

fantasygirl
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Woo-hoo! That's all I have to say...

Well, actually I do have a little more:

The trailer looks great. The cast is fantastic, and the director is tip-top. Good stuff. I agree. yes I'm excited, I can't wait to go see it. big grin

silver_tears
Originally posted by Murray

Second all of that.

Strangelove
Hugh Jackman is an amazing actor. I can't wait to see it

-Tired Hiker-
Anything by Chris Nolan is great.

crickey77
I agree -- if it has Chris Nolan's name on it, it is going to be good. I really looking forward to seeing this -- great cast. And really looking forward to David Bowie!

fantasygirl
I probably have to wait till it comes out on DVD to watch it though. erm

Leggy_n_Merry
Originally posted by fantasygirl
I probably have to wait till it comes out on DVD to watch it though. erm

How come?! The cinema experience is much better! I hate it when I miss a film that I really want to see in the cinema.

Mr Parker
I definetely want to see this movie.

crickey77
Have yall seen the new trailer yet? Saw it this morning during the Today Show -- awesome is all i have to say.

DeVi| D0do
Yes, this film will kick a great deal of arse...

The voice over on the new trailer is just way too lame though. And there's not much new stuff in it either.

http://mp3content02.bcst.yahoo.com/bus01root6/bus01share23/yahoomovies/9/28567868.mov?StreamID=28567868

crickey77
Really? It sounds like the same voice over in all movies...

Mr Parker
I cant wait to see this movie.I just saw the trailer for this movie last weekend and I had no idea Christopher Nolan one of my favorite directors in hollywood was directing this and that Christian Bale,Michael Cane and Hugh Jackman were in it as well.Its got to be a winner with that combo. Happy Dance

Silverstein
i agree mr parker, this movie looks amazing, looks like a natural competitor to the illusionist but way better

Leggy_n_Merry
Originally posted by Silverstein
i agree mr parker, this movie looks amazing, looks like a natural competitor to the illusionist but way better

Ya huh yes I love your sig by the way.

I clicked the link to the new trailer but it won't work sad I'll search for it now.

Edit: Oh it's worked now messed Oh I love that man's voice.. the voice over man. It makes trailers all the more exciting! Oh I can't wait any longer it looks so good!

crickey77
Yeah, it is going to be good -- you can't beat the cast. Have yall checked out the new website? If not, you should -- it has lots of photos and Bale and Jackman saying lines from the movie.

Prestige Official Website

Solo
This could definitely be good.

Leggy_n_Merry
Originally posted by crickey77
Yeah, it is going to be good -- you can't beat the cast. Have yall checked out the new website? If not, you should -- it has lots of photos and Bale and Jackman saying lines from the movie.

Prestige Official Website

Ooooh must visit that site!

crickey77
Yeah, there are a bunch of goodies on there -- let me know what you think.

Leggy_n_Merry
Ooooh it's a weird site. I didn't know what to click on to enter it and everything, it's all mysterious! There's some cool pictures on there, but not enough of Christian Bale for my liking disgust I love the one of Scarlett on her own. Oooh have you seen the little book thing? Where you have to collect pieces around the site. Oh this is fun haha. Oh no actually I don't get it haha. They tell you to click on that token thing and then click and view the clip and then collect the journal fragments.. but how do I do that? confused

Edit: Ooh it tells you when you've found one. I get it now lol.

And I just thought I'd say: Scarlett Johansson does a really good English accent, and Hugh Jackman does a great American one too. And oh I love the clips! They're so good! I want to watch it! I have to wait longer than you Americans sad Oooh I didn't realise Andy Srerkis was doing an American accent either! He's really good aswell.

Leggy_n_Merry
Ooooh!!! I didn't realise you could click on either Hugh or Christian and then there's different galaries! So now there's enough Christian pictures for my liking big grin

crickey77
Originally posted by Leggy_n_Merry
Ooooh!!! I didn't realise you could click on either Hugh or Christian and then there's different galaries! So now there's enough Christian pictures for my liking big grin

LOL, I was about to tell you about the galleries -- loving hearing them speak and I have to agree that Scarlett and Hughman sound great. Looking forward to seeing how they do through the film.

And what is the this little book thingy? I must have missed it . Off to check ...

Leggy_n_Merry
LOL, I was about to tell you about the galleries -- loving hearing them speak and I have to agree that Scarlett and Hughman sound great. Looking forward to seeing how they do through the film.

And what is the this little book thingy? I must have missed it . Off to check ...

Ermmm I think it was in the bottom right hand corner. It's a brown book and you just click on it and it tells you what to do. I still didn't find all the pieces so I haven't seen what happens yet. You've probably found it by now.

Oops realised I wrote Any Serkis' name wrong, but everyone probably knew it was a typo.

crickey77
Cool thanks -- I was actually just talking to my friend about this -- he has not found all the pieces either. Will let you know how I do...has anyone else checked it out?

Jim Reaper
Looks cool, no doubt.

crickey77
only one week left -- yall getting excited?? I know I am...

Wolfie
I like the director, the cast, everything. But... the plot sounds incredibly cheesy so I'll probably wait for a rental on this.

SnakeEyes
Wolfie... you'd go and see "The Covenant" in theaters, but this plot sounds too cheesy?!

Are you crazy or something?

Ultraman Baltan
To me, it looks lame. I have not seen or heard of one scene that excites me. A little bit of electricity. Soooo great. roll eyes (sarcastic) I remember the first time the plot was leaked. They said it would be two wizards fighting each other for the love of a girl. Man, THAT changed for the worst.
I would rather see "The Illusionist".

SnakeEyes
And that's why your opinion amounts to nothing.

Solo
Don't take opinions too seriously, to each their own.

Mr Parker
I cannot wait to see this movie.Looks like the best movie of the year.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Ultraman Baltan
To me, it looks lame. I have not seen or heard of one scene that excites me. A little bit of electricity. Soooo great. roll eyes (sarcastic) I remember the first time the plot was leaked. They said it would be two wizards fighting each other for the love of a girl. Man, THAT changed for the worst.

The Illusionist was an okay movie but nothing great.This movie at least from the previews,looks like it will be much better by far than The Illusionist.

crickey77

Actually, I am surprised you would rather see The Illusionist -- it is more a love story compared to the Prestige. Dont get me wrong, it is a great movie but the Prestige is more a thriller based on a rivalry between two magician friends where the Illusionist is more romantic...

Silverstein
i think i said this before, The Prestige looks absolutely amazing. i'd rather see a thriller over a love story any day

Ultraman Baltan
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
And that's why your opinion amounts to nothing.

Because I have a different opinion? Go back into your little selfish world until you're ready to be human.

Ultraman Baltan
Actually, I am surprised you would rather see The Illusionist -- it is more a love story compared to the Prestige. Dont get me wrong, it is a great movie but the Prestige is more a thriller based on a rivalry between two magician friends where the Illusionist is more romantic...

Yeah, but "The Prestige" looks dull and focuses on one scene pretty much(from the looks of the trailer), while "The Illusionist" has a great plot, good acting, and looks to be a mind twisting film.

SnakeEyes
Because I have a different opinion? Go back into your little selfish world until you're ready to be human.

Alright, I was a little harsh. I honestly don't mind differing opinions... but the way you phrased it almost made it seem as though you were insulting the movie before it's even out. And I guess that's why I said your opinion amounts to nothing, because it's not valid. With that being said, I do realize it is an opinion, and I will respect that... but man, I definitely disagree.

Solo
There are six ratings for this right now, five of them say it's terrible.

It looks like my prediction may end up being correct. I'll still be seeing it, no matter what the outcome, though.

crickey77

Murray
Whoever says that this movie won't be fantastic, what are you thinking?

This is director Chris Nolan we're talking about here!!!!!!!

Look at Batman Begins and frickin' Memento, people!!

What the hell?! This movie looks spectacular!

Solo
Well, let's not forget Insomnia. That was ****ing terrible.

FistOfThe North
Yea, i went to go watch it this past weekend but it was sold out, cool thing is, is that i live Boston, where the movie takes place.

I like how the departed gun logo has the downtown Boston buildings right on the barrel, i actually work in one of the buildings on the gun, lol: the Prudential the second tallest building here.

But yea the movie ought to be good with it's all star line up, Martin's a excellent director, i liked "Goodfellas" and "Gangs of New York" so I'm looking forward to seeing it as soon as i can.

Ultraman Baltan
Alright, I was a little harsh. I honestly don't mind differing opinions... but the way you phrased it almost made it seem as though you were insulting the movie before it's even out. And I guess that's why I said your opinion amounts to nothing, because it's not valid. With that being said, I do realize it is an opinion, and I will respect that... but man, I definitely disagree.

Then be civilized about disagreeing.

Quincy
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Yea, i went to go watch it this past weekend but it was sold out, cool thing is, is that i live Boston, where the movie takes place.

I like how the departed gun logo has the downtown Boston buildings right on the barrel, i actually work in one of the buildings on the gun, lol: the Prudential the second tallest building here.

But yea the movie ought to be good with it's all star line up, Martin's a excellent director, i liked "Goodfellas" and "Gangs of New York" so I'm looking forward to seeing it as soon as i can.

confused

Different Movie

Leggy_n_Merry
I looked at (I didn't read the whole thing because I couldn't be bothered) the reviews and I was like nooo but as crickey77 said someone gave it 8/10 so hopefully there will be more of those to come. I'm usually not fussy with films anyway. And I've seen a few clips (I know I can't tell what it's like from those but still) and it seems good from those. And obviously from the trailer aswell. I really want to like it because this is the film I'm most looking forward to this year (out of the ones that are left I mean).

crickey77
I think we will like it -- it is one of most anticipated films as well. I have also seen positive reviews on MSN Movies, the Movie Reporter and Aint it Cool. I dont think we have anything to worry about -- going to be spectatular.

Grimm22
I saw it today wink

I really liked it

I mean its not going to de-throne Batman Begins as my fav. movie or anything like that, but Nolan is dead on with his directing in this film yes

And of course the acting is superb big grin

Hell, I didnt even realize Scarlet Johanson was in it erm

I guess I was too wrapped up in the whole, Wolverine vs Batman with magic thing stick out tongue

Some things are predictible in the movie (if you're smart), but I was completely blown away by the ending.

I really liked how the story focuses on the rivalry of two men who as time goes on become more and more consumed with their constant erge to better each other, while leaving behind their humanity and morals.

SnakeEyes
Does anyone want to describe the ending to me? (in spoiler tags of course).

I just saw it tonight and would like some clarification.

As for the film, I thought it was great. A lot different than how I thought it was going to be, but good nonetheless.

Grimm22
The trailers made it seem a lot different than it actually is erm

But I like the real version better anyhow big grin

Solo
A very different kind of Nolan. However, I thought it was good, nothing more, nothing less.

Memento
Batman Begins
The Prestige
Following
Insomnia

srankmissingnin
Great movie, pretty predictable though. I figured out (and so did my kid brother who tagged along) the "twist" out as soon as bloody finger scene. But I heard a lot of people trying to explain to their dumber counter parts how Jackmans act worked (and that was pretty cut and dry obvious) in the lobby after the movie... so I guess the majority of people weren't able to piece it together *shrugs* Great movie though, easily worth the $10 ticket... I might even see it once more in theaters.

And Memento sucked hard.

SpaceMonkey
I loved it. I thought it was a "smart" movie. Not meaning that the movie was clevr, which it was, but that it was meant to be seen by actual smart people. Not too many movies like this out there anymore. I give it a 9/10

Myth
I predicted the twists very early on, but I still loved the film. Equal to the quality of The Illusionist, yet more entertaining.

Kelly_LS
It looks like a pretty decent movie but I don't know if I'll be seeing it in theater. I might rent it.

SnakeEyes
Alright, no need to explain anything to me. I read up a tiny bit and all the little things that were unclear now make sense.

Great movie though. I'll definitely be buying it.

Solo
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
And Memento sucked hard.
Right.
Originally posted by Myth
I predicted the twists very early on
Yeah, me too. Fifteen minutes in, I was like "shit man, I think I have it figured out", and I did.

Lord Evolution
This was an AMAZING movie. Just got home from seeing it, it was well over two hours long.

There were a few things I predicted in the end that wasnt actually true. The ending was so shocking though. I would have never thought of that.

Definitely Christian Bale's best movie to this day. Hugh Jackman was magnificent also, both of there acting gets two thumbs up.

Definitely see this movie. 9/10

Leggy_n_Merry
Yay I'm glad every single person who has seen it in this thread loved it. I can't wait until 10th November now even more!

Myth
Originally posted by Lord Evolution

Definitely Christian Bale's best movie to this day.

Haven't seen American Psycho, huh? wink

Solo
American Psycho was okay. I'd probably agree that this was Bale's best serious effort to date, considering American Psycho was practically a comedy.

Grimm22
I have to say a lot of the twists were predictible, however I dont think anyone saw the last twist coming erm

Murray
The movie was good; I expected maybe a bit more, but I give it 3 out of 4 stars.

I predicted about one fourth of the ending, but most of it was so shocking and amazing. The movie was long, but it was totally worth it to see the ending.

Lord Evolution
I have to go see this again, its one of those movies that you just have to see twice, or maybe even a third time.

Now that I know the ending I have to go back and say "ohhhhhh" in some of the scenes I was confused about before.

Solo

Lord Evolution
Yeah he was suspicious but you knew he was his twin brother? He could have been a look a like, a clone or anything else. When I was in the theatre every single person was shocked to learn that Borden had a twin.

I just dont see how people saw this, even with those things you mentioned.

Solo
Why would Bale care if his twin was buried alive? Jackman drowned his clones many times, he couldn't care less. Thus, I knew the guy looked just like him and that Bale cared for him. Leaving only one option left, he has a twin.

Lord Evolution
To me that was something I had to go back and picture in my mind after they revealed he was his twin, which was at the end of the movie. Im looking at those things also but if I just seen those parts I would have never guessed he was his twin. Someone he cared about? yeah, it seems like they were quite the entourage(Olivia, Fallon, and Borden).

Lord Evolution
If you think about it, the whole movie is one big magic trick, involving the pledge, the turn and the prestige.

Bordens- Pledge- At the start of the movie, it is his voice that asks "Are you watching closely." The Turn was his death (remember him saying "abracadabra" on the gallows?), and the Prestige was his "coming back to life" via the shocking revelation that he had a twin.

Tricky huh? There's more.

Angiers- Pledge: to do the trick better than Borden. Turn: HIS death. Prestige: coming back to life via the shocking revelation that his clone had died, not him.

SpaceMonkey
Lord Evolution, very good points. Bravo!! clap

Wolfie
My sister ran through the whole story with me yesterday. I'll probably rent it but it sounds incredibly cheesy.

Myth
Predicting that it was a brother was very easy. The camera angles made it obvious they were hiding something. So you knew it was his look alike. And you knew he looked identical based on what Jackman and Johansen(sp?) said. However, you also knew it wasn't a clone because if Bale used the same machine, then Jackman wouldn't have kept asking Bale how he did the trick while he was in jail. So it was obvious it was an identical, nonclone, which pretty much means its a twin. It was then easy to figure that the fingers were simply taken off the double.

Dusty
Originally posted by Wolfie
My sister ran through the whole story with me yesterday. I'll probably rent it but it sounds incredibly cheesy.

Your sister is a biatch for spoiling it for you.

It was an amazing movie. I expected nothing worse from Mr. Nolan. I really didn't see most of the stuff coming. I was always expecting someone else. Jolly good movie. It was so suspenseful and heart pumping. During one of the applause parts of the movie, I almost started clapping. Haha.

crickey77
Yay, so glad to read all the positive reviews. I was suppose to go it this weekend but had a change of plans so going to see it this week. Super excited -- everything I have heard is extremely positive: powerful, stimulating and clever. Looks like a film right up my ally -- not surprised since we are talking about Nolan.

Gannon
i predicted alot of it half way through but.....

***SPOILER****

what was the big twist? I know that christian bale had a double that lead half his life but when did they say they were brothers? I thought one was a clone.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I just got back from seeing this, I thought it was pretty good. Like a lot of people have said, it was quite predictable, but I still enjoyed it. I liked Bowie's character, he was fascinating.

I liked the idea that Jackman's character continually killed himself; you could feel the 'deadness' of his character by the end when you compared him to his former, pre-cloned, entertaining version.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I was discussing The Prestige with a friend earlier today, and he remarked about probably the most stupid loop-hole in the plot:

During Angier's final performance of The Real Transporting Man - when his clone/real-self dies - the whole audience witnesses that he is actually alive when he 'transports' to the other end of the theatre, yet Borden still gets sentenced for his death! Surely any lawyer could have merely pointed out this inconsistency? How ridiculous!

SpaceMonkey
I was discussing The Prestige with a friend earlier today, and he remarked about probably the most stupid loop-hole in the plot:

During Angier's final performance of The Real Transporting Man - when his clone/real-self dies - the whole audience witnesses that he is actually alive when he 'transports' to the other end of the theatre, yet Borden still gets sentenced for his death! Surely any lawyer could have merely pointed out this inconsistency? How ridiculous!

Hmm, never thought of that... except maybe he failed that time on purpose.

Solo
He failed that time on purpose. There was only one of him during his final performance, that clone died. Thus, no one was transported.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Solo
He failed that time on purpose. There was only one of him during his final performance, that clone died. Thus, no one was transported.

Oh, yeah. Me stupid. My friend stupider.

SpaceMonkey

Yeah, that makes sense to me.

Supreme being
Originally posted by Quincy
confused

Different Movie

laughing laughing

Leggy_n_Merry
I finally saw it today. It was meant to be out in the UK on the 10th but they had advanced screenings so I saw it today yay! I thought it was really good, it was as brilliant as I was anticipating it to be. Great performances from Mr Bale and Mr Jackman especially, as expected. I didn't see the twists coming either. And I loved the ending.

crickey77
Brillant indeed! What a great film -- I did not see the twist coming either. Wow. I was speechless. My friends and I were talking and it looks like I missed so much the first time around that I am going to have to see it again like the whole knot tying tying scene -- did not catch onto that and think seeing it for the second time will ease my mind. Did anyone else feel this way?

shugie99
Loved Loved Loved this movie...I had to see it a second time!

tlbauerle
SNORE...

This movie was such a bore. When you have the 'big twist' figured out halfway through the damn movie...something's missing.

The part where I began hating this film was where they realized the only way they could have a real 'twist' to this film was to invent some impossible story element that has no basis in fact or reality. Its almost as insulting as a McGuffen...an unspecified 'thing' whose single purpose is to drive the plotless story...i.e. M:I III

Myth
I figured the twist out halfway too, but the performance and not knowing 'how' the twist will unravel (as in how they reveal the twist)were enough to keep me into it.

zeuspower
Tihs was a good movie - one of the better Ive seen recently - Highly original I thought

Kayne Archeron
Originally posted by Myth
I figured the twist out halfway too, but the performance and not knowing 'how' the twist will unravel (as in how they reveal the twist)were enough to keep me into it.

i think they directed it that way on purpose -- you see the twist like a magic trick, and then the trick is exposed through the story

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Anything by Chris Nolan is great.

I take that back. I thought The Prestige was long and boring and the gimmick ending wasn't interesting or believable enough for me to feel satisfied for sitting through all that crap.

SnakeEyes
I thought this was the best movie of '06, personally.

Solo
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Insomnia was long and boring
I agree.

Strangelove
I thought this was the best movie of '06, personally. I liked it a lot, but if we're going Best of '06, I'd have to go with Casino Royale. Little Miss Sunshine is in the Top 3 hmm

=Tired Hiker=
I really liked Casino Royale, but I have to see it again since I saw it on a date and wasn't really paying too much attention to the movie. And Lil Miss Sunshine was great, Alan Arkin deserved the Oscar, his character was classic.

=Tired Hiker=
I agree.

It still liked it though, but it was long and boring.

Dusty
Watched it again last night. It reminded me of what a great film it was. Definitely going on my 'Shompy.com' top 20. Chris Nolan is one of the best directors out there today.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Dusty
Watched it again last night. It reminded me of what a great film it was. Definitely going on my 'Shompy.com' top 20. Chris Nolan is one of the best directors out there today.

thumb up

Lyna303
I liked this movie, but it was confusing...i'll probably have to watch it again.

exanda kane
I have to say I did see the twist at the end coming, but that is probably because the film led you around so much that you seemed to expect every possible twist in existence to come in.

I liked David Bowie in it too, I was expecting Jareth the Goblin King, but he was very subtle.

Phat_Crabs
I have not seen the prestige and I don't think I ever will. I heard it ends with a lame twist.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Phat_Crabs
I have not seen the prestige and I don't think I ever will. I heard it ends with a lame twist.

You're really missing out on a great film, then.

Dusty
Agreed.

Strangelove
Agreed. double agreed

exanda kane
You don't want to see a film that has Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, David Bowie, Micheal Caine, Andy Serkis, Scarlet Johanson in it and directed by, as Dusty said, Christian Nolan, one of the finest directors of his generation and working in Hollywood today, just because someone told you it had a lame twist at tthe end? smile

SpaceMonkey
This was an excellent movie!

Dusty
Originally posted by exanda kane
You don't want to see a film that has Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, David Bowie, Micheal Caine, Andy Serkis, Scarlet Johanson in it and directed by, as Dusty said, Christian Nolan, one of the finest directors of his generation and working in Hollywood today, just because someone told you it had a lame twist at tthe end? smile

Fine point. But, it's Christopher Nolan.

exanda kane
Oops! Christopher Bale and Christian Nolan! Erm..got me thinking of Christian's and Christopher's blah blah blah!

G U I T A R
Neato Movie TBH

jason maddox
This was easily one of the top movies of 2006 and that's saying something because 2006 was not the best year for movies I'd have to say the top three are The Prestige, Little Miss Sunshine and The Departed

ragesRemorse
I thought the illusionist was a far better film. I only compare these two because it seems as though two different movie studios were having a competition between a similar type of movie like they do oh so ofen.

I diddnt feel as though Nolan did a very good job at masking the mystery behind the film. The only true mystery of the film was how bale pulled off the orginal trick which started the rivalry between the fueding magicians. The overall movie i though was very well done with superb acting performances, but the direction that Nolan went with presenting the film felt un decided. Nearly half way through the film we as an aduience were informed that the trick of the teleporting man was fueled by science and not magic. However, the aim of the moie felt as though it were trying to confuse us on whether or not the trick was real or not.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
I thought the illusionist was a far better film.

No offense... but are you crazy, by any chance?

Just kidding around, but seriously, why did you like The Illusionist better?

To me, The Prestige was much better.

Solo
Chris Nolan is one of the best directors out there today.
Too inconsistent. Anyway, I can almost guarantee that SM3 will reign superior.

By the way, most people prefer The Illusionist.

Dusty
Too inconsistent.

Explain.

SM3? Spiderman 3? I don't understand the relevance.

Doesn't really matter.

manorastroman
the illusionist was lame. fake special effects, faker beards, and a lame montage ending.

Solo
SM3? Spiderman 3? I don't understand the relevance.
Don't be a cock, it's pretty obvious I thought I was in a different thread.

Explain.
What's to explain about calling someone inconsistent? I'll spell it out for you: I didn't like all of his work.

InnerRise
Too inconsistent. Anyway, I can almost guarantee that SM3 will reign superior.

By the way, most people prefer The Illusionist. Well the Illusionist must suck. I'll definitely like The Prestige then.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by manorastroman
the illusionist was lame. fake special effects, faker beards, and a lame montage ending.

For the most part, I agree. The movie wasn't very good... it seemed like it attempted but just fell way too short. Overall, it honestly just wasn't a very good film.

Edward Norton probably just agreed to do it because he got a sex scene with Jessica Biel out of it.

What's to explain about calling someone inconsistent? I'll spell it out for you: I didn't like all of his work.

Jeez! Why so cranky, Solo?

I doubt Dusty was purposely acting like a "cock." He was probably genuinely confused.

Originally posted by InnerRise
Well the Illusionist must suck. I'll definitely like The Prestige then.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Don't go picking fights, man.

I know you and Solo aren't on good terms, but you don't need to make things worse, do you?

InnerRise
If I want to post my opinion on some movies I'll do just that.

How about you not "make it worse" by not instigating any further.

Kthxbai. wave

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

SnakeEyes
Some people...

no

manorastroman
holy crap--THAT is his way of getting back at solo? using an offhand comment made against him earlier, but somehow totally incorrectly (how do you get something so simple wrong)? my god...yet he can still type...fascinating.

InnerRise
Originally posted by manorastroman
holy crap--THAT is his way of getting back at solo? using an offhand comment made against him earlier, but somehow totally incorrectly (how do you get something so simple wrong)? my god...yet he can still type...fascinating. Be quiet please. I don't know who you are but you seem to feel the need to snap at me every chance you get. Just stop it. Shhhhhhhh.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

exanda kane
First saw the promotional stuff for the Illusionist..."the American phenomenom"...ok, I'm not seeing that shizzle.

Dusty

Didn't know.

He had one sub-par movie. And that was Insomnia (which I liked). But he's still got Following, Memento, Batman Begins, and The Prestige under his belt.

exanda kane
Insomnia is the only movie of Nolan's that never really struck a cord with me, unlike the others. He's a top quality director too, British too, but doesn't seem to have done much for the industry.

Solo
He had one sub-par movie. And that was Insomnia (which I liked). But he's still got Following, Memento, Batman Begins, and The Prestige under his belt.
He's got talent, that's for sure. But saying he's one of the best out there (right now) is ridiculous, time will tell.

Although, it's understandable why you'd say that. I was just giving my opinion.

ragesRemorse
No offense... but are you crazy, by any chance?

Just kidding around, but seriously, why did you like The Illusionist better?

To me, The Prestige was much better.

It just seemed as though the illusionist was a better crafted film. Both movies are essentially the same story. The illusionist seemed to be more consistant in it's story teling. I think the subplots in the prestige only distracted from the main plot.

doomsday49
he's still got Following, Memento, Batman Begins, and The Prestige under his belt.

who gives a fcuk!! The Prestige has no point in it whatsoever. There aren't even any real motivation between the rivalry between bale and jackman. OVER-FREAKIN-RATED!!!! Pssshhhhh, i'm done.

exanda kane
Originally posted by doomsday49
who gives a fcuk!! The Prestige has no point in it whatsoever. There aren't even any real motivation between the rivalry between bale and jackman. OVER-FREAKIN-RATED!!!! Pssshhhhh, i'm done.

Don't watch any intelligent film outside of the mainstream, you'll have a shock.

The Hawk
I really dont see how everybody can think The Prestige was so great when halfway thru the movie you learn how Bale does his trick. After you know that, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out who the creepy silent guy is.... and knowing all of that ruins the whole movie... Is the ending supposed to be a 'surprise' ending?? lol... if you were surprised, you need to have your head examined.

in the book, Borden does not have Tesla build him a machine. I cant believe Nolan totally messed that up.

manorastroman
Originally posted by The Hawk
I really dont see how everybody can think The Prestige was so great when halfway thru the movie you learn how Bale does his trick. After you know that, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out who the creepy silent guy is.... and knowing all of that ruins the whole movie... Is the ending supposed to be a 'surprise' ending?? lol... if you were surprised, you need to have your head examined.

in the book, Borden does not have Tesla build him a machine. I cant believe Nolan totally messed that up.

i know. everytime an ancillary character is fairly silent and looks nothing like christian bale, i think "of course! he must have used tesla's machine to duplicate himself! that man who looks totally different must be in clever makeup!" then i realize that it wasn't confirmed that tesla actually built bale a machine, and that even if he did, where did bale keep it? in his pocket?

maybe it has something to do with the fact that you READ THE BOOK.

t wat.

The Hawk
LOL.... what a joke. You cant be serious. Now I can see what kind of idiots it would appeal to...

So when Angier goes to Colorado Springs and asks Tesla to BUILD HIM A MACHINE LIKE HE DID FOR BORDON and that machine turns out to have a terrible side affect that CREATES CLONES. It never entered into your pea breain that Borden has a clone/double? and after figuring out that in all likelihood, he has a clone/double, its still a giant mystery of who his clone can be? I mean could possibly be the only other guy in the movie!!? The creepy mysterious guy that never says anything.... no way, couldnt be him!

Geez, how thick are you... half the people on this thread have already said it was too easy to figure out.. and thats because the story is different and the way its done ruins it.. or if youre not smart enough it would at least give you too many hints as to draw up conclusions, which basically still ruin the movie when you figure out whats what.

I actually never read the book, I merely read how that story goes AFTER watching and reading about the movie.

In the book, Borden has no connection with Tesla. ONLY Angier has a machine built for him that creates a clone, therefore he AND the reader have no clue how Borden is doing his illusion. It isnt til the end where you find out that Borden has a twin brother and they'd been living the life of the same man all that time.

Thats story is alot better than the films version which has Angier go to Tesla to figure out Borden's secret...

The Hawk
then i realize that it wasn't confirmed that tesla actually built bale a machine, and that even if he did, where did bale keep it? in his pocket?

Why would he have to keep it in his pocket? he had a machine built and created a clone once...

You dont have to be clear on whether he actually built Borden the machine, and you definitly dont have to see it.... just knowing that Angier is asking Tesla to build him a machine like the one he built for another magician... Thats enough to suggest "Hey, maybe he built this machine for Borden and Borden has a clone now?" I mean, heck, this machine that he might have built for Borden, has a terrible side affect of creating clones and now Borden has this great illusion of teleporting.

manorastroman
the pocket was a reference to the apparently hidden nature of the machine. did you see the bloody size of angiers' machine? it's not as if borden had it in his apartment. i'm not sure if you noticed, but borden's clone is in the movie for a good while before he shows us the disappearing man illusion. combined with the fact that angiers and borden were attempting to trick each other the whole movie, and that tesla was originally a red herring (because the diary was a fake), it was in no way obvious that borden had a cloning machine built. especially considering tesla's seeming terror at his creation for angiers. if thought it was obvious, you have no appreciation for subtlety.

i was busy admiring the structure of themovie; i got fooled by "the turn", and focused how angiers did his trick. which, coincidentally, i figured out about halfway through the movie (what with all the "nobody cares about the man in the box", the initial drowning shot, and the clincher being the forestful of hats).

The Hawk
Heres the thing that bothers me...

In the movie Borden/Fallon are brothers just like the book suggests... but the fact that, in the movie, Borden sends Angiers to Tesla messes things up because when you see what Tesla does for Angiers, you start to think thats what he might have done for Borden. Then you start to figure he might have a clone, then you figure it my be Fallon because he's the obvious choice. Youre not thinking 'when did he enter the movie'.. the reading of the diaries and flash backs have Angiers going to Tesla about 10 mins into the movie asking about a machine that was built for a colleague. Even though theyre flash backs that come after things that havnt yet been shown, showing them in the beginning confuses the viewer somewhat expecially since the characters havnt been well established yet.

I dunno, maybe he was trying to confuse or make things complicated, but by doing so, it makes you start coming up with your own conclusions and at the end when you see how it really is, its somewhat disappointing. Because all though you were completely wrong, you were still right about who Fallon was. Learning that they were in fact brothers (which they dont bother to mention) isnt enough to 'wow' me or to win me back, because for the last 45 minutes I was already convinced and sad thinking I had already figured it out.

I think never connecting Borden with Tesla is how he should have kept it...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.