Top Emo band

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

hp024024
Who do you think is the top emo band?

eggmayo
There are good ones?

Alpha Centauri
Fugazi.

-AC

PINBALL
Emo bands blow....

BackFire
Originally posted by hp024024
Who do you think is the top emo band?

The one with the shortest songs.

Clone
Taking Back Sunday

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by PINBALL
Emo bands blow....

The bands you are thinking of probably aren't emo.

-AC

Outcesticide
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
The bands you are thinking of probably aren't emo.

-AC Care to elaborate?

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Outcesticide
Care to elaborate?

I'm informing him that the bands he is thinking of as emo, probably aren't emo.

Not sure how much further it needs to, or can be, elaborated.

-AC

Outcesticide
I'm informing him that the bands he is thinking of as emo, probably aren't emo.

Not sure how much further it needs to, or can be, elaborated.

-AC

I noticed your first post in this thread....just thought the post I quoted you in, before this one, meant something deeper....maybe something about the past and the current Emo wave. Never mind then.

Bloigen
Never liked Emo music so I'll have to say

Originally posted by PINBALL
Emo bands blow....

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Outcesticide
I noticed your first post in this thread....just thought the post I quoted you in, before this one, meant something deeper....maybe something about the past and the current Emo wave. Never mind then.

The current emo wave isn't actually emo. It's music labelled as emo by kids who know no better.

-AC

Phat J
can you define emo for me ac? maybe give me some examples of the so called emo bands and the ones that actually are emo?

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Phat J
can you define emo for me ac? maybe give me some examples of the so called emo bands and the ones that actually are emo?

There were two main waves of emo. The first included: Fugazi (the most influential to the second wave), Jawbreaker, Rites of Spring, possibly Minor Threat, Embrace, Grey Matter etc.

Then other bands such as Jimmy Eat World, The Get Up Kids, Sunny Day Real Estate etc started encorporating influences from the aforementioned bands into what they were making. That being a soft rock kind of thing. This is where emo ends, really. Jimmy Eat World had emotional songs and lyrics, but it spiralled out of control and now everybody labels certain bands as emo when they're not. With the second wave of emo (as it's known), you could at least trace back to the originals.

Bands that are labelled emo today, mostly, are not emo and never have been. As stated here:

"Correctly or not (AC's note: Not, for the record), emo has often been used to describe such bands as AFI, Alexisonfire, A Static Lullaby, Brand New, Coheed & Cambria, Fall Out Boy, Finch, From Autumn to Ashes, From First to Last, Funeral for a Friend, Hawthorne Heights, Matchbook Romance, My Chemical Romance, Panic! at the Disco, Silverstein, Something Corporate, The Starting Line, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Thrice, and Thursday. Fans of several of these bands have recoiled at the use of the 'emo' tag, and have gone to great lengths to explain why they don't qualify as 'emo'. In many cases, the term has simply been attached to them because of musical similarites, a common fashion sense, or because of the band's popularity within the 'emo' scene, not because the band adheres to emo as a music genre."

Wikipedia has a massive page on it, and as I've done this more times than I wish to count, I'll link you to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28music%29

-AC

RedAlertv2
Jawbreaker and Jimmy Eat World are both great bands and recently Ive been listening to some Minor Threat

Outcesticide
The current emo wave isn't actually emo. It's music labelled as emo by kids who know no better.

-AC I know.

...not much to discuss then.

Bardiel13
Emo is a subgenre of hardcore called Emotive/Emotional Hardcore. It contains many basic hardcore riffs with clean and occasional harsh vocals. The lyrics usually have to do with a sensual or depressing topic, usually romance. Examples of Emotional Hardcore are:
Rites of Spring
Embrace
Grey Matter
Beefeater
Fugazi
Hawthrone Heights

I don't listen to emo, just setting the record straight
(total genre nazi ^^)

nick1811
**** hawthorne heights mad

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Bardiel13
Emo is a subgenre of hardcore called Emotive/Emotional Hardcore. It contains many basic hardcore riffs with clean and occasional harsh vocals. The lyrics usually have to do with a sensual or depressing topic, usually romance. Examples of Emotional Hardcore are:
Rites of Spring
Embrace
Grey Matter
Beefeater
Fugazi
Hawthrone Heights

I don't listen to emo, just setting the record straight
(total genre nazi ^^)

Emo isn't a subgenre of emotive hardcore, emo is emotive hardcore. It's the shortened name of it. Emotive hardcore was changed to emocore, to emo. Hawthorne Heights are not an emo band. If you're going to claim the pathetic title of a genre nazi then at least get the shit right.

-AC

ladygrim
Originally posted by eggmayo
There are good ones? laughing out loud the same thought came into my head

Bardock42
Emo isn't a subgenre of emotive hardcore, emo is emotive hardcore. It's the shortened name of it. Emotive hardcore was changed to emocore, to emo. Hawthorne Heights are not an emo band. If you're going to claim the pathetic title of a genre nazi then at least get the shit right.

-AC

Well, except for the Hawthorne Heights thing, it's what he said, didn't he?

Scythe
There were two main waves of emo. The first included: Fugazi (the most influential to the second wave), Jawbreaker, Rites of Spring, possibly Minor Threat, Embrace, Grey Matter etc.

Then other bands such as Jimmy Eat World, The Get Up Kids, Sunny Day Real Estate etc started encorporating influences from the aforementioned bands into what they were making. That being a soft rock kind of thing. This is where emo ends, really. Jimmy Eat World had emotional songs and lyrics, but it spiralled out of control and now everybody labels certain bands as emo when they're not. With the second wave of emo (as it's known), you could at least trace back to the originals.

Bands that are labelled emo today, mostly, are not emo and never have been. As stated here:

"Correctly or not (AC's note: Not, for the record), emo has often been used to describe such bands as AFI, Alexisonfire, A Static Lullaby, Brand New, Coheed & Cambria, Fall Out Boy, Finch, From Autumn to Ashes, From First to Last, Funeral for a Friend, Hawthorne Heights, Matchbook Romance, My Chemical Romance, Panic! at the Disco, Silverstein, Something Corporate, The Starting Line, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Thrice, and Thursday. Fans of several of these bands have recoiled at the use of the 'emo' tag, and have gone to great lengths to explain why they don't qualify as 'emo'. In many cases, the term has simply been attached to them because of musical similarites, a common fashion sense, or because of the band's popularity within the 'emo' scene, not because the band adheres to emo as a music genre."

Wikipedia has a massive page on it, and as I've done this more times than I wish to count, I'll link you to it:

-AC

With this being said, you've helped spread the much needed knowledge that needed to be spread. Now that the deed is done, shall we allow these people who enjoy their sub-catagory to speak amongst themselves?

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Bardock42
Well, except for the Hawthorne Heights thing, it's what he said, didn't he?

No, read what he said, then read my reply.

He claimed emo is an offshoot of emotive hardcore. This is impossible.

-AC

Bardiel13

-AC

Emo is a subgenre of hardcore called Emotive/Emotional Hardcore.

That's what I said, bro. confused
Hawthorne Heights really is emotional hardcore. If you don't believe me, look it up. I'm not trying to be cocky, I have nothing against them, they simply are emo.

I could be a prick and sarcastically tell you to learn to read, but I'm above that.

Alpha Centauri
Emo is a subgenre of hardcore called Emotive/Emotional Hardcore.

That's what I said, bro. confused
Hawthorne Heights really is emotional hardcore. If you don't believe me, look it up. I'm not trying to be cocky, I have nothing against them, they simply are emo.

I could be a prick and sarcastically tell you to learn to read, but I'm above that.

Apologies there, my bad. I misread as I was quoting it. It doesn't equate to illiteracy, let's not get out of control. Moreover, doing it sarcastically would also imply that you are joking. So I could be a "prick" and tell you to learn the definitions of words, but I'm above that.

What I will tell you is to learn your music history and catagorisation.

Hawthorne Heights are nothing to do with emo at all, they're a generic, run of the mill metal band. Nothing about them is anything close to emo.

Look it up? I could look it up and find Fall Out Boy described as emo, it doesn't mean they are. What matters is what actually counts as emo, what actually fits in the genre. Opeth have harsh/clean vocals and heavy riffs, are they emo? No, so stop all this irrational labelling.

"In many cases, the term has simply been attached to them because of musical similarites, a common fashion sense, or because of the band's popularity within the 'emo' scene, not because the band adheres to emo as a music genre.".

This applies to Hawthorne Heights, they're not actually an emo band, fact.

-AC

Bardiel13
Apologies there, my bad. I misread as I was quoting it.

However, Hawthorne Heights are nothing to do with emo at all, they're a generic, run of the mill metal band. Nothing about them is anything close to emo.

Look it up? I could look it up and find Fall Out Boy described as emo, it doesn't mean they are. What matters is what actually counts as emo, what actually fits in the genre. Opeth have harsh/clean vocals and heavy riffs, are they emo? No, so stop all this irrational labelling.

"In many cases, the term has simply been attached to them because of musical similarites, a common fashion sense, or because of the band's popularity within the 'emo' scene, not because the band adheres to emo as a music genre.".

This applies to Hawthorne Heights, they're not actually an emo band, fact.

-AC

Now it seems even YOU have labeled a band by the wrong genre.Hawthorne Heights are nowhere NEAR metal! Nor do they even try to be. Fall Out Boy aren't emo, either.
Here is the URL to Hawthorne Height's wikipedia page.
You can check myspace music if that's not enough, it's usually labeled under either emo, screamo, post hardcore, or a combo of any.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawthorne_heights

Alpha Centauri
Now it seems even YOU have labeled a band by the wrong genre.Hawthorne Heights are nowhere NEAR metal! Nor do they even try to be. Fall Out Boy aren't emo, either.
Here is the URL to Hawthorne Height's wikipedia page.
You can check myspace music if that's not enough, it's usually labeled under either emo, screamo, post hardcore, or a combo of any.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawthorne_heights

I never said Fall Out Boy were emo, you tottering simpleton. I said I could look them up somewhere on the net and find them described as emo. Wikipedia describes them as alternative rock, which they aren't, by a million miles.

The hilarious part is, you actually refer me to their (Hawthorne Heights) MySpace as if that's some kind of credible statement. It's MySpace scene-sters who cause all this crap because they don't know anything. Screamo isn't a legitimate genre, that's another scene kid invention, solely to make themselves feel smart. Post-hardcore? After-hardcore? Makes no sense, musically or grammatically.

For your information, I checked that Wikipedia link before you even posted it and I noticed that on Wikipedia (which is an open encyclopedia that anyone can contribute anything to, leaving any definition open to fact or opinionated bullshit) it had them labelled as emo. So what? I already showed you why that is;

They're labelled as emo, they're not actually emo. You need to do some research before getting involved in this.

-AC

Bardiel13
I'm not saying that myspace and wikipedia are all that credible. I realize this, my point was that the numbers are kind of against you. And I didn't mean that you thought Fall Out Boy is emo, I was simply trying to prove that I'm not one of the people who randomly labels bands emo, because they seem to be within the same fanbase. And you have no right to name-call since you've made some mistakes on your part in this argument that prove a tad hypocritical.

Alpha Centauri
I'm not saying that myspace and wikipedia are all that credible. I realize this, my point was that the numbers are kind of against you. And I didn't mean that you thought Fall Out Boy is emo, I was simply trying to prove that I'm not one of the people who randomly labels bands emo, because they seem to be within the same fanbase. And you have no right to name-call since you've made some mistakes on your part in this argument that prove a tad hypocritical.

Wikipedia has some very credible and correct articles, like the one on emo. However, it is open to anyone.

It doesn't matter if the number are against me. 50 million opinions Vs Me wouldn't make a difference, because what I'm saying is a fact. It's a fact to anyone who is aware of and/or has studied musical history and evolution.

It's a fact that Hawthorne Heights are not emo, they're just catagorised as such by fans, that doesn't make it true. They're not emo in the true sense of the word and it doesn't matter whether you carelessly label or not, you're wrong for calling them emo.

-AC

Bardiel13
And you're wrong for calling them metal. no expression Notice how I don't suddenly jump all over you, spouting how you're really the "tottering simpleton." I don't see the point of you trying to prove to me that I'm labeling Hawthorne Heights the wrong genre, when you're doing the same.

Alpha Centauri
And you're wrong for calling them metal. no expression Notice how I don't suddenly jump all over you, spouting how you're really the "tottering simpleton." I don't see the point of you trying to prove to me that I'm labeling Hawthorne Heights the wrong genre, when you're doing the same.

They are factually a metal band though, if anything. They have much more in common with metal bands than they will ever have with emo. They're closer to bands like Atreyu and Aiden than they are to bands like Jimmy Eat World or Rites of Spring. Atreyu and Aiden are known as, and labelled as, metalcore. It's metal, shit, but still metal. I don't recognise this genre title either, but that's the area they factually fall into. They are a metal band before they'll ever be an emo band, buddy.

I can list metal bands and list emo bands, and they will always have much more in common with the metal bands than emo bands. They are quite simply a metal band, nothing more to it. Not metal in the sense of Metallica, metal nonetheless though. Shit, also.

Either way, they're not emo. That much is a fact. I'm not here to convince you that they are metal, I'm discussing emo, I.E: What Hawthorne Heights are not.

-AC

Bardiel13
No. Simply no. Thought hardcore sometimes within the same fandom as metal, Hawthorne Heights are not metal at all. They will never be metal. They would be closer to emo than metal for this reason:
Emo is a subgenre of hardcore. Hawthorne Heights is hardcore. If you'd like I'll call it Post Hardcore. Happy, now? Metal has certain features and quirks that hardcore lasks, thus HH is not even close to metal. You probably know this, but harsh vocals does not mean metal. Since emo and post hardcore are in the same base genre, Hawthorne Heights is closer to emo, even if they aren't like you say.
Is this internet fight settled, now?

Alpha Centauri
No. Simply no. Thought hardcore sometimes within the same fandom as metal, Hawthorne Heights are not metal at all. They will never be metal. They would be closer to emo than metal for this reason:
Emo is a subgenre of hardcore. Hawthorne Heights is hardcore. If you'd like I'll call it Post Hardcore. Happy, now? Metal has certain features and quirks that hardcore lasks, thus HH is not even close to metal. You probably know this, but harsh vocals does not mean metal. Since emo and post hardcore are in the same base genre, Hawthorne Heights is closer to emo, even if they aren't like you say.
Is this internet fight settled, now?

What do you mean no? It's not up to you. Go listen to music, learn how to label if labelling is what you wish to do, because you're not a very good genre nazi, you're a MySpace genre nazi right now. There is no singular hardcore genre either, what are you on about? Hardcore was used as a prefix to a genre name when the music contained therein was the same, but just harder. E.g; Hardcore punk.

The Sex Pistols were punk, Black Flag were punk, but due to being considerably harder, they were called hardcore punk. When bands started adhering more to the Black Flag template, but with a more emotive sound -- such as Fugazi -- emotive hardcore punk/emotive hardcore/emocore/emo was spawned. Do you see how it works?

They are not post-hardcore, that's a stupid shitty label that makes absolutely no sense. Post- means coming after, following. They didn't follow hardcore punk because they weren't even making music back then, or if they were, they certainly aren't making the same music now, because there's nothing remotely connected to hardcore punk about it. People started using "Hardcore" on it's own, which is also wrong. It can apply to anything. That's like saying hardcore metal, it's stupid.

Hawthorne Heights are not emo, fact. Stone cold fact, why are you not accepting that? Whether or not you accept the fact that they are a metal band of some form is not relevant, what is relevant is the fact that they are not emo, and you are repeatedly calling them such.

The more you talk, the more you prove how little you know. This lesson is over as far as I'm concerned.

-AC

RedAlertv2
AC, this is a hopeless argument. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it. wink

Bardiel13
No, I don't do much myspace and Postt Hardcore IS a legit subgenre. I'm not talking about my opinion, because I don't really have any biases. I don't have any bands I hate so much, I wish they weren't metal. But, Hawthorne Heights are not metal. Believe me, metal is my specialty. I have heard and studied more metal than you can wrap your brain around. Hawthorne Heights aren't metal. You can say all you want "Well, let's see. They're kinda thrashy and scream sometimes, so heck that's metal right there!" Because that's not how it works. Don't insult my intelligence.
If you want, I can stop calling Hawthorne Heights emo. But one thing I know is that they're hardcore. I'm not that stubborn, that I refuse to change the way I think, but one thing I know is that you are doing the same as me.

Alpha Centauri
Postt Hardcore IS a legit subgenre.

Maybe the idea of it is, but the literal label is not.

But, Hawthorne Heights are not metal. Believe me, metal is my specialty. I have heard and studied more metal than you can wrap your brain around. Hawthorne Heights aren't metal. You can say all you want "Well, let's see. They're kinda thrashy and scream sometimes, so heck that's metal right there!" Because that's not how it works. Don't insult my intelligence.

Oh so you're one of those guys who likes metal for the sake of liking metal and, as a result, thinks they know about it? You're funny. You can claim all the studies you want, your posts don't reflect the same idea, because they just prove you don't know anything. I know what metal is you little upstart.

Hawthorne Heights are a metal band, their general sound is metal music, whether you agree or not, that's how it is. I know I'm right, so I'm not going to sit here trying to make some ignorant kid-mind, who uses the term nu-metal, agree with me. This is a thread about emo, so let's discuss such.

If you want, I can stop calling Hawthorne Heights emo. But one thing I know is that they're hardcore. I'm not that stubborn, that I refuse to change the way I think, but one thing I know is that you are doing the same as me.

I'm not trying to change the way you think, just telling you that the way you think is wrong. You can continue holding that factually wrong belief, it's just stupid to do so. The fact that you call bands "hardcore" is another notch against you.

-AC

Bardiel13
-_- You know what... screw it. You can have all the witty language in the world, but it still won't make Hawthorne Heights not hardcore. No, I don't like metal for the sake of liking metal, so don't start. We're obviously never going to agree, so what's the point? But in every music forum and music site I've been to- you, sir, are the FIRST person to label Hawthorne Heights as metal. If you want to continue this via PM, be my guest.

Alpha Centauri
I don't need to continue it, I'm right, you're wrong. It ends there really.

-AC

Bardiel13
Thank God smile

Silverstein
All music is actually EMOtional

Hawthorne Heights are NOT freakin METAL, and they disgrace the current generation of 'emo' bands with their typical 'cut wrists/black eyes' lyrics. 90% of mainstream emo is crap.

some 'emo' bands of the current generation are:
-Taking Back Sunday (probably not labelled emo anymore)
-Silverstein (yes my kmc name, lost respect for them with their latest cd becoming so light and poppy)
-Funeral For A Friend

but nowadays most emo bands do not label themselves as 'emo' anymore: since all music is emotional.

i think it depends on where you live, whatever place you live, determines what is emo or not, here, here bands liek Silverstein and Hawthorne are emo.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Silverstein
All music is actually EMOtional

Hawthorne Heights are NOT freakin METAL, and they disgrace the current generation of 'emo' bands with their typical 'cut wrists/black eyes' lyrics. 90% of mainstream emo is crap.

some 'emo' bands of the current generation are:
-Taking Back Sunday (probably not labelled emo anymore)
-Silverstein (yes my kmc name, lost respect for them with their latest cd becoming so light and poppy)
-Funeral For A Friend

but nowadays most emo bands do not label themselves as 'emo' anymore: since all music is emotional.

i think it depends on where you live, whatever place you live, determines what is emo or not, here, here bands liek Silverstein and Hawthorne are emo.

It doesn't explicitly mean "Emotional", it originally meant "Emotive", first of all.

Secondly, yes, they are. Thirdly, there is no mainstream emo. Emo has been dead and buried for multiple years. It's only young kids like yourself that think it's not.

Funeral for a Friend are a metal band, they call themselves a metal band and here in the UK they are known and recognised as a metal band. This is why kids like you shouldn't touch the label gun.

Silverstein aren't emo, nor are Taking Back Sunday.

It doesn't matter where you live, kid. Facts are facts, you see. What matters is if you're stupid or not.

-AC

Silverstein
It doesn't explicitly mean "Emotional", it originally meant "Emotive", first of all.

Secondly, yes, they are. Thirdly, there is no mainstream emo. Emo has been dead and buried for multiple years. It's only young kids like yourself that think it's not.

Funeral for a Friend are a metal band, they call themselves a metal band and here in the UK they are known and recognised as a metal band. This is why kids like you shouldn't touch the label gun.

Silverstein aren't emo, nor are Taking Back Sunday.

It doesn't matter where you live, kid. Facts are facts, you see. What matters is if you're stupid or not.

-AC

mainstream emo...weezer, dashboard confessional... OLD emo has been dead. but whatever, maybe the new 'emo' is actually just post hardcore, or a blend of genres actually.

Funeral for a Friend, in my opinion have become 'too light' to be called METAL of all things, the OLD 7waystoscreamname FFAF could be called Metal. I guess you're right smile anyways, most bands today are a blend of genres. Combining Aspects of Emo/Metal/Hardcore/Grindcore/Indie/Rock/etc

then what is Silverstein?

lol dont call me kid cuz im not.

Alpha Centauri
mainstream emo...weezer, dashboard confessional... OLD emo has been dead. but whatever, maybe the new 'emo' is actually just post hardcore, or a blend of genres actually.

Funeral for a Friend, in my opinion have become 'too light' to be called METAL of all things, the OLD 7waystoscreamname FFAF could be called Metal. I guess you're right smile anyways, most bands today are a blend of genres. Combining Aspects of Emo/Metal/Hardcore/Grindcore/Indie/Rock/etc

then what is Silverstein?

lol dont call me kid cuz im not.

Dashboard Confessional may be considered "emo" by some in the sense that Chris Carraba did, or tried to do, what Jimmy Eat World did a while back. Hardly emo anymore though, nor would I ever call them/him such. That was modern emo, as opposed to original emo; Jimmy Eat World, Sunny Day Real Estate etc. Not Taking Back Sunday and Funeral for a Friend.

I'll skip over the fact that you called Weezer emo, because that's actually too pathetic.

Funeral for a Friend are a metal band, just a metal band. They might not be making metal as heavy, but it's still metal.

Also, all these 'cores (Grindcore, hardcore et al) are just pointless and deserve not to be recognised.

Contrary to your belief, most bands aren't a blend of genres, they're actually just generic products of one genre. Scene kids don't like having a couple of genres, though. They have to make many up.

-AC

Silverstein
Dashboard Confessional may be considered "emo" by some in the sense that Chris Carraba did, or tried to do, what Jimmy Eat World did a while back. Hardly emo anymore though, nor would I ever call them/him such. That was modern emo, as opposed to original emo; Jimmy Eat World, Sunny Day Real Estate etc. Not Taking Back Sunday and Funeral for a Friend.

I'll skip over the fact that you called Weezer emo, because that's actually too pathetic.

Funeral for a Friend are a metal band, just a metal band. They might not be making metal as heavy, but it's still metal.

Also, all these 'cores (Grindcore, hardcore et al) are just pointless and deserve not to be recognised.

Contrary to your belief, most bands aren't a blend of genres, they're actually just generic products of one genre. Scene kids don't like having a couple of genres, though. They have to make many up.

-AC

so there IS more than one kind of emo? a modern one and an olde school one huh.

grindcore & hardcore is not pointless, they both have unique audiences, not your average muchMusic Viewers.

being the average scene kid i am roll eyes (sarcastic) i listen to more than one genre, and i do believe sub genres exist too. ive got Acoustic/Hardcore/Metalcore/Grindcore/Emocore/Emo/Indie/Rock/Post Hardcore/Ambience/Pop Punk as you can clearly see there are more than one genre, metalcore being metal+hardcore, emo+hardcore, made up or not, where i live, it means something to many people, not created by your little scene kids, but by musicians ages ranging from 17- your old age

some of its true, kids make up their own genres, like Electronicore, or Happycore, or Technocore, but what else would you call a blend of techno dance beats in a song that has breakdowns and is modelled to be hardcore?

Bardiel13
As much as I'd hate to reenter this argument.... Alpha Centauri... dude...
the "core" genres are actually very defined. Metalcore sounds nothing like Grindcore sounds nothing like Metalcore.
You know, guys. We should start a thread about this!

Silverstein
we should lol, you do it.

Alpha Centauri
so there IS more than one kind of emo? a modern one and an olde school one huh.

Not anymore, there was.

grindcore & hardcore is not pointless, they both have unique audiences, not your average muchMusic Viewers.

I didn't say the music was, I said the labels were.

being the average scene kid i am roll eyes (sarcastic) i listen to more than one genre, and i do believe sub genres exist too. ive got Acoustic/Hardcore/Metalcore/Grindcore/Emocore/Emo/Indie/Rock/Post Hardcore/Ambience/Pop Punk as you can clearly see there are more than one genre, metalcore being metal+hardcore, emo+hardcore, made up or not, where i live, it means something to many people, not created by your little scene kids, but by musicians ages ranging from 17- your old age

I'm 20, kid. It's silly little teens that go around naming genres, as you prove. However, let me show how uninformed, uneducated and frankly, silly, you are:

1) Acoustic is not a genre, that's the stupidest thing I've heard on the subject. You should be ashamed.

2) Hardcore/Grindcore/Metalcore are stupid scene kid labels, made up because they don't know any better.

3) Emocore/Emo as different genres? Hahahahaha. Emocore is emo, you ignorant boy. Emotive hardcore, shortened to emocore, then to emo. Learn something, will you?

some of its true, kids make up their own genres, like Electronicore, or Happycore, or Technocore, but what else would you call a blend of techno dance beats in a song that has breakdowns and is modelled to be hardcore?

Why do you NEED to call it anything? You don't NEED to. Call it what it closely applies to, oh...I forget, kids don't do that. They just slap a name on to be cool.

As much as I'd hate to reenter this argument.... Alpha Centauri... dude...
the "core" genres are actually very defined. Metalcore sounds nothing like Grindcore sounds nothing like Metalcore.
You know, guys. We should start a thread about this!

It's been done multiple times, and every time I've brought it to a close. Just a warning. You will have all the older, more sensible music fans, coming down on you like a load of bricks.

Second, I'm not saying the music made in the genres labelled with a "'core" are pointless, I'm saying the label itself is pointless.

You know nothing, either of you. It's sad.

-AC

Dr. Strangelove
Hey, since I'm such a hipster, I'm going to create a new meaningless genre. I'm going to call it CRYCORE with the leading band being My Chemical Romance. Crycore is going to be the next big thing in meaningless genres baby!!!

I bet if I put this on a bunch of band forums, Crycore would probably be legit to these people haha.

Alpha Centauri
Nah, because it's a bit derogatory.

Gloomcore, maybe. Then they'd say "Yeah, cos it's gloomy.".

-AC

Silverstein
Not anymore, there was.

I didn't say the music was, I said the labels were.

I'm 20, kid. It's silly little teens that go around naming genres, as you prove. However, let me show how uninformed, uneducated and frankly, silly, you are:

1) Acoustic is not a genre, that's the stupidest thing I've heard on the subject. You should be ashamed.

2) Hardcore/Grindcore/Metalcore are stupid scene kid labels, made up because they don't know any better.

3) Emocore/Emo as different genres? Hahahahaha. Emocore is emo, you ignorant boy. Emotive hardcore, shortened to emocore, then to emo. Learn something, will you?

Why do you NEED to call it anything? You don't NEED to. Call it what it closely applies to, oh...I forget, kids don't do that. They just slap a name on to be cool.

It's been done multiple times, and every time I've brought it to a close. Just a warning. You will have all the older, more sensible music fans, coming down on you like a load of bricks.

Second, I'm not saying the music made in the genres labelled with a "'core" are pointless, I'm saying the label itself is pointless.

You know nothing, either of you. It's sad.

-AC

1)well its a genre to me, and thats what counts big grin

2) yeaaah, they're stupid alright, those darn kids wink and they had to be made up by somebody. im 17 by the way, is that still considered a kid? metalcore, grindcore and hardcore sound very different to eachother.

3) emo whatever emocore. i consider emocore as emo, but with breakdowns

4) we call techno+hardcore, technocore, rather than calling it techno-hardcore. Cuz the music is unique enough to have its own name, like Nintendocore. And Yes, its cool. What's more comforting than your peers saying you're cool? cool

the only thing i dont like about old school and older music fans is that they disregard any new form of music similar to their beloved old music. Times change, music gets better. Those 'core' names are for kicks, but when a band that blends something together that is very unique, it deserves a new name, if the basis of it cannot be related to an existing genre.

my chemical romance is pussycore. The fact that the band looks so badass and dark but they're music is joyful and positive is just weird to me confused , not to mention being overplayed on every tv station.

Alpha Centauri
1)well its a genre to me, and thats what counts big grin

Then you're an idiot. Before you reply with "DON'T CALL ME THAT!", let me reply by saying this; If you didn't go around saying "It's a genre to me, that's what counts.", I'd not call you one.

Acoustic isn't a genre. Literally it means relating to sound, musically it means any instrument that isn't electric. It's not a different genre. You are getting everything wrong, it's sad.

2) yeaaah, they're stupid alright, those darn kids wink and they had to be made up by somebody. im 17 by the way, is that still considered a kid? metalcore, grindcore and hardcore sound very different to eachother.

"Very" different is arguable, different enough to warrent their own genres? Hardly. Second, I never had a problem with the music, just the labels, get it right.

3) emo whatever emocore. i consider emocore as emo, but with breakdowns

You said Emocore/Emo among other genres, they're not different. Emocore is emo, there is no difference. "Emo" is just a shortened version of the term "Emocore". There's no difference in the music.

4) we call techno+hardcore, technocore, rather than calling it techno-hardcore. Cuz the music is unique enough to have its own name, like Nintendocore. And Yes, its cool. What's more comforting than your peers saying you're cool? cool

It's not unique enough, you don't have the right to go around mislabelling music. What a childish and ignorant boy you are.

Nintendocore, haha. Get out of here, man.

the only thing i dont like about old school and older music fans is that they disregard any new form of music similar to their beloved old music. Times change, music gets better. Those 'core' names are for kicks, but when a band that blends something together that is very unique, it deserves a new name, if the basis of it cannot be related to an existing genre.

I love lots of modern and lots of old, I don't care when it was made. What I dislike is scene kids like you going around falsely labelling everything in some kind of dire attempt to be knowledgeable.

Music doesn't necessarily get better, but it does change. However, YOU aren't the ones who have the right to name these things. Especially when it's something dumb like "Techno-hardcore". Mislabelling bands, or labelling bands anyway, is disrespectful and pathetic.

Your kind are all the same. If something doesn't instantly fit, you feel you have to create a name. That's stupid and illogical. Screamo, for example, right? I asked someone, "So what is screamo to you?", "Like...harder emo.", "Well then that's just harder emo, isn't it? Why not just call it emo? It's emo, just harder. It's not a different genre, it's just heavier.", "Uh....".

Exactly.

my chemical romance is pussycore. The fact that the band looks so badass and dark but they're music is joyful and positive is just weird to me confused , not to mention being overplayed on every tv station.

To be fair, I wouldn't be calling any band pussies when you listen to Silverstein.

-AC

Silverstein
Then you're an idiot. Before you reply with "DON'T CALL ME THAT!", let me reply by saying this; If you didn't go around saying "It's a genre to me, that's what counts.", I'd not call you one.

Acoustic isn't a genre. Literally it means relating to sound, musically it means any instrument that isn't electric. It's not a different genre. You are getting everything wrong, it's sad.

"Very" different is arguable, different enough to warrent their own genres? Hardly. Second, I never had a problem with the music, just the labels, get it right.

You said Emocore/Emo among other genres, they're not different. Emocore is emo, there is no difference. "Emo" is just a shortened version of the term "Emocore". There's no difference in the music.

It's not unique enough, you don't have the right to go around mislabelling music. What a childish and ignorant boy you are.

Nintendocore, haha. Get out of here, man.

I love lots of modern and lots of old, I don't care when it was made. What I dislike is scene kids like you going around falsely labelling everything in some kind of dire attempt to be knowledgeable.

Music doesn't necessarily get better, but it does change. However, YOU aren't the ones who have the right to name these things. Especially when it's something dumb like "Techno-hardcore". Mislabelling bands, or labelling bands anyway, is disrespectful and pathetic.

Your kind are all the same. If something doesn't instantly fit, you feel you have to create a name. That's stupid and illogical. Screamo, for example, right? I asked someone, "So what is screamo to you?", "Like...harder emo.", "Well then that's just harder emo, isn't it? Why not just call it emo? It's emo, just harder. It's not a different genre, it's just heavier.", "Uh....".

Exactly.

To be fair, I wouldn't be calling any band pussies when you listen to Silverstein.

-AC

well then what do you call, the kind of music that City and Colour plays? i call it acoustic

listen to 'Horse The Band' they are nintendo core, and fyi the keyboard they use is made from the same soundcard from the original N.E.S. so ive been told

Technocore is like...hardcore, but with techno being the foundation of it. Its unique enough to be atleast a sub genre.

Screamo, doesnt necessary mean harder emo, some screamo bands arent all about depression and about losing their girlfriends. It's just post hardcore instrumentals with screaming as the main 'ingredient.' There's emo like Waking Ashland, who is all soft piano and whatnot, then there's emo with distortion, breakdowns, screaming, and they are categorized as the same?

for your information, i dont listen to Silverstein anymore. I've stopped listening to them for a while, i made this kmc acount a year ago when i did though.

Bardiel13
Alright, kids! The Great Genre Debate Thread is up!
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=413109
No more shall we plague this thread with off-topic squables!

Alpha Centauri
well then what do you call, the kind of music that City and Colour plays? i call it acoustic

It doesn't matter what you call it, why don't you understand that? It doesn't matter what anyone calls it. It's definitely not "Acoustic", because it's more or less impossible for that to be a genre.

listen to 'Horse The Band' they are nintendo core, and fyi the keyboard they use is made from the same soundcard from the original N.E.S. so ive been told

"Nintendocore" is the stupidest, most childish thing I've heard in a music debate. Whoever created it is stupid and you are stupid for adhering to it.

It's that simple. No further debate needed. It's people like you, using terms like "Nintendocore", that are damaging and disrespecting musical sounds and genres that actually do exist.

You don't create a genre just because of what the music was made on, you idiot. Why not call rock "Guitardrumsbassvocalscore"? Cos it's dumb.

Technocore is like...hardcore, but with techno being the foundation of it. Its unique enough to be atleast a sub genre.

No it's not, it's just harder Techno.

Screamo, doesnt necessary mean harder emo, some screamo bands arent all about depression and about losing their girlfriends. It's just post hardcore instrumentals with screaming as the main 'ingredient.' There's emo like Waking Ashland, who is all soft piano and whatnot, then there's emo with distortion, breakdowns, screaming, and they are categorized as the same?

Oh stop being such a moron, please. Post-hardcore is another label that needs to be erased, just call it what it is, don't call it some needless name.

Yes, they would all be emo, if emo actually existed today, which it doesn't, truly. In your situation, they would be different kinds of emo, but not different enough to warrant a new genre. The Cure are a rock band, Led Zeppelin were a rock band. Two totally different kinds of rock, but you don't see people going around labelling them all kinds of shit.

Maybe because generally people who are into great bands know better than to make up genres like "Nintendocore", and ignorant children who like Silverstein, don't.

for your information, i dont listen to Silverstein anymore. I've stopped listening to them for a while, i made this kmc acount a year ago when i did though.

Doesn't matter to me.

-AC

Bardock42
My favourite Emo Band is Simple Plan I think, they have some really sweet songs.

Cerberus

-AC

Oh great. Does this mean we have to wach out for "poser" emo bands too? roll eyes (sarcastic)

~Rad~
I like My Chemical Romance and The Used. confused

Silverstein
Simple Plan is not emo, they are pop

Alpha Centauri
He was joking.

Originally posted by ~Rad~
I like My Chemical Romance and The Used. confused

They're not emo.

-AC

Silverstein
what would you classify The Spill Canvas & The Early November as?Ac

Alpha Centauri
Softer rock bands that people classify as emo, because they're soft.

Why, what do you class them as? Oh, emo. Thought as much.

-AC

padmeXskywalker
What I don't get is on this site everyone needs to have an answer for everything. Emo screamo and punk rock are the best type of music, unlike hip hop which only goes on about how the persdon just killed the last ghetto gangster. Give me Emo anyday.
And i would class the bands as emo, because guess what Emo stands for! EMOtional. Blink 182, Hawthorne Heights, Amber Pacific, Taking Back Sunday ect ect all have EMOtional and gorgeous song lyrics.
Give them a break and stop being such hypocritical steryotypes, because if everyone was one then i would class this site as a Nerd Ghetto.
No offence if i offend. xxx

$noopbert
Stabby Rip Stabb Stab

Df02
http://www2.vans.com/warpedBBS/viewtopic.php?t=475

if the band you want to post isnt on this list, then they arent emo... give or take a few bands, but i can garuantee those few bands wont be any that you're thinking of.

this is a general post, 'you' refers to noone in particular

Df02
Originally posted by padmeXskywalker
What I don't get is on this site everyone needs to have an answer for everything. Emo screamo and punk rock are the best type of music, unlike hip hop which only goes on about how the persdon just killed the last ghetto gangster. Give me Emo anyday.
And i would class the bands as emo, because guess what Emo stands for! EMOtional. Blink 182, Hawthorne Heights, Amber Pacific, Taking Back Sunday ect ect all have EMOtional and gorgeous song lyrics.
Give them a break and stop being such hypocritical steryotypes, because if everyone was one then i would class this site as a Nerd Ghetto.
No offence if i offend. xxx

how many times would it have to be posted before you'd realise that emo doesnt stand for emotional?

give me a number please, because i'd gladly cover it aslong as it made 1 ignorant person in the world realise.

Bardock42
EMOtional. Blink 182, Hawthorne Heights, Amber Pacific, Taking Back Sunday ect ect all have EMOtional and gorgeous song lyrics.

So do The Smiths, Radiohead, Joni Mitchell, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pearl Jam, Neil Young, Iron and Wine, Frank Sinatra and Jeff Buckley ...all emo?

Neo_Version 7
Fall Out Boy
Taking Back Sunday
Dashboard Confessional
Hawthorne Heights
The All-American Rejects

no expression

Alpha Centauri
None of those are emo, Dashboard Confessional is the closest there to being emo, but that's a stretch even then.

-AC

Df02
Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
Fall Out Boy
Taking Back Sunday
Dashboard Confessional
Hawthorne Heights
The All-American Rejects

no expression

do people actually read my posts or just live in their own little worlds?

look a few posts up, youll find a link to a list... read it.

barbarossa
Good points AC. Although I'd say that Minor Threat would be more of an influence on Emotional Core, in lieu of actually being part of the movement themselves. They are mainly construed as being a integral part in the early Hard Core scene.

The only true "Emo" Band that I like, would be perhaps Jimmy eat World. But, I've come to respect the rest as well. But, I have found my true enemies....

I.E. Mainstream "Emo" dubbed Bands, What is popularly called "Hardcore" these days, which is in truth "Screamo" and all others similar to these.

Bardock42
After reading "the list" I have to say, I don't know one Emo Band.

barbarossa
After reading "the list" I have to say, I don't know one Emo Band.

Jimmy Eat World has been mentioned quite a few times. Thats one at least.

Df02
never heard of Fugazi, Off Minor, Embrace, Rites of Spring or Mohinder?

woulda thought they'd be quite well known

Bardock42
Originally posted by barbarossa
Jimmy Eat World has been mentioned quite a few times. Thats one at least.

Isn't on the list though...I basically meant what I said.

Originally posted by Df02
never heard of Fugazi, Off Minor, Embrace, Rites of Spring or Mohinder?

woulda thought they'd be quite well known

Well, I guess I am ignorant. Someone help me, what Emo is a MUST?

Df02
well if you want a broad spread of what emo covers then...

Fugazi - Self Titled
Embrace - Self Titled

Indian summer - anything you can get really
Rites of Spring - End on End

my personal favourite section from the emo genre...:
Heroin - Self Titled
Mohinder - Anything
Swing Kids - Anything
Antioch Arrow - In Love with Jetts

and if you want some proper screamo i can give you a couple dozen bands i think are brilliant.

Bardock42
well if you want a broad spread of what emo covers then...

Fugazi - Self Titled
Embrace - Self Titled

Indian summer - anything you can get really
Rites of Spring - End on End

my personal favourite section from the emo genre...:
Heroin - Self Titled
Mohinder - Anything
Swing Kids - Anything
Antioch Arrow - In Love with Jetts

and if you want some proper screamo i can give you a couple dozen bands i think are brilliant.

Hmm, yeah, would be nice. But lets say I'd like to order one Album (as for now) which could make me get into Emo? (Well, which would you think could is a good representation?)

Df02
difficult to say... problem is with emo, 90% of it was independant label stuff and now it's impossible to get hold of. Also, it covers such a large amount of ground... i mean Fugazi sound nothing like Swing Kids, who sound nothing like Indian Summer etc.

Fugazi are brilliant, i was seriously surprised you hadnt heard of them before, so i'd say if you want one album, go for Fugazi - Self Titled... but also i'd recommend finding a taster of it somewhere if you can (legally of course) to ensure its the sort of thing you want.

As for Screamo, my top 10 screamo bands (preference not fact):

Neil Perry
Saetia
Raein
pg 99
Joshua Fit for Battle
1000 Journeys of Jarwarharlal
Usurp Synapse
Welcome the plague year
Circle Takes the Square
Hassan I Sabbah.

RedAlertv2
Thanks for the post DF02 Ive been meaning to look into Fugazi and Rites of Spring.

Bardiel13
I'd say best screamo/hardcore band is Naiad, hands down.

barbarossa

I'd say the idea of good "Screamo" is Laughable. And thats NOT HARD CORE!

If you want the Real Hard Core, look for bands such as:
Agnostic Front.
Black Flag.
Bad Brains.
Minor Threat.
Discharge.

Right off the bat, Five great bands. Something you'll be hard-pressed to find among the "Screamo" Garbage.

Df02
I'd say the idea of good "Screamo" is Laughable. And thats NOT HARD CORE!

If you want the Real Hard Core, look for bands such as:
Agnostic Front.
Black Flag.
Bad Brains.
Minor Threat.
Discharge.

Right off the bat, Five great bands. Something you'll be hard-pressed to find among the "Screamo" Garbage.

what a stupid post.

here we go, off the bat ill give you 20 brilliant screamo bands:

Raein, Saetia, Neil Perry, A Plot to blow up the eiffel tower, pg99, 1000 journeys of jarwarharlal, the kodan armada, hot cross, danse macabre, what price wonderland?, circle takes the square, heroin, cowboys become folk heroes, Wow Owls!, Funeral Diner, City of Caterpillar, Hassan I Sabbah, I Robot, Kaospilot, Love Like Electrocution.

care to tell me which of those you've heard and dont like?

barbarossa
what a stupid post.

What a stupid Genre of music. Your referring to a style, renowned for such lyrical brilliance as "RAWWWRGH", "ARRRRRGH" and we cannot forget the Classic "BLAAAAH". Great stuff, truly.

And, the second part of my post was pointing out that your beloved screeching, known as "Screamo", has absolutely NOTHING to do with Hard Core. Followed by excellent examples of true Hard Core.

I think my post was actually quite constructive, unlike yours. Which in Lieu of an argument or statement worth my attention, contains instead an insult. truly Mature.

Bardock42
what a stupid post.

here we go, off the bat ill give you 20 brilliant screamo bands:

Raein, Saetia, Neil Perry, A Plot to blow up the eiffel tower, pg99, 1000 journeys of jarwarharlal, the kodan armada, hot cross, danse macabre, what price wonderland?, circle takes the square, heroin, cowboys become folk heroes, Wow Owls!, Funeral Diner, City of Caterpillar, Hassan I Sabbah, I Robot, Kaospilot, Love Like Electrocution.

care to tell me which of those you've heard and dont like?

I liked I, Robot.

Df02
What a stupid Genre of music. Your referring to a style, renowned for such lyrical brilliance as "RAWWWRGH", "ARRRRRGH" and we cannot forget the Classic "BLAAAAH". Great stuff, truly.

And, the second part of my post was pointing out that your beloved screeching, known as "Screamo", has absolutely NOTHING to do with Hard Core. Followed by excellent examples of true Hard Core.

I think my post was actually quite constructive, unlike yours. Which in Lieu of an argument or statement worth my attention, contains instead an insult. truly Mature.

you truly are ignorant... both in your first point and your second.

first of all, Emo came from Hardcore, Screamo is a facet of Emo... see the connection there?
Screamo does have screaming vocals, well done for picking up on that *seal claps* but vocals are used as an instrument, if you dont like it, dont listen to it... but don't listen to it quietly.

as for lyrical genuis... lets have a look shall we?

I am the horizon.
I have dreamed of tracing rings around this world.
My arms are stretched to forever.
My fingers shake with the fear of control.
The fear I know you all know so well.
We all lay claim to our destinies.
Yet we all rise and fall with the current.
Saetia - Postlapsaria

raar raar indeed.

barbarossa
you truly are ignorant... both in your first point and your second.

first of all, Emo came from Hardcore, Screamo is a facet of Emo... see the connection there?
Screamo does have screaming vocals, well done for picking up on that *seal claps* but vocals are used as an instrument, if you dont like it, dont listen to it... but don't listen to it quietly.

as for lyrical genuis... lets have a look shall we?

I am the horizon.
I have dreamed of tracing rings around this world.
My arms are stretched to forever.
My fingers shake with the fear of control.
The fear I know you all know so well.
We all lay claim to our destinies.
Yet we all rise and fall with the current.
Saetia - Postlapsaria

raar raar indeed.

Yes, You can trace a lineage indirectly from Hard Core to "Screamo", but noting the painfully obvious lack of any real similarities between the two, I believe that point of yours is moot. It's like comparing England and Ethiopia. Yes, both were once controlled by a civilisation centered in Italy, but that is where the common-grounds end.

Very good! *Pats you on the head* Out of an entire Genre, you can produce one example of comprehensible Speech. Commendable. Although I daresay there is hardly a hint of Brilliance in that Verse. It sounds like something I've heard depressed children mumble to themselves.

And if you are going to make jabs at people's Intelligence, and throw names around. I simply ask, do so with a tad more Creativity.

Lastly, I will avoid listening to it at whatever level of Volume I choose. And there is not a bit you are going to do to change this.

Df02
Yes, You can trace a lineage indirectly from Hard Core to "Screamo", but noting the painfully obvious lack of any real similarities between the two, I believe that point of yours is moot. It's like comparing England and Ethiopia. Yes, both were once controlled by a civilisation centered in Italy, but that is where the common-grounds end.

Very good! *Pats you on the head* Out of an entire Genre, you can produce one example of comprehensible Speech. Commendable. Although I daresay there is hardly a hint of Brilliance in that Verse. It sounds like something I've heard depressed children mumble to themselves.

And if you are going to make jabs at people's Intelligence, and throw names around. I simply ask, do so with a tad more Creativity.

Lastly, I will avoid listening to it at whatever level of Volume I choose. And there is not a bit you are going to do to change this.

i made the link because it showed that noone has said Screamo IS Hardcore, if you read back everyone has said Screamo COMES from Hardcore. /end

See, this second bit just proves your ignorance of the genre, it's renowned for having overly poetic abstract lyrics... that was merely me choosing one of my favourite's as example and the fact that you have the misfits in your signature and ***** about lyrics is quite funny... if you want me to pull up the lyrics to a bunch of other songs i can...

why be creative for fear it would be wasted on them?

I said don't listen to it quietly as in you being quiet about it.

please, if you'd like to tell me which of the listed bands you've heard, and the albums you listened to... and then explain what parts of the music you didnt like, id then beleive you have a clue what you're talking about.

barbarossa
i made the link because it showed that noone has said Screamo IS Hardcore, if you read back everyone has said Screamo COMES from Hardcore. /end

See, this second bit just proves your ignorance of the genre, it's renowned for having overly poetic abstract lyrics... that was merely me choosing one of my favourite's as example and the fact that you have the misfits in your signature and ***** about lyrics is quite funny... if you want me to pull up the lyrics to a bunch of other songs i can...

why be creative for fear it would be wasted on them?

I said don't listen to it quietly as in you being quiet about it.

please, if you'd like to tell me which of the listed bands you've heard, and the albums you listened to... and then explain what parts of the music you didnt like, id then believe you have a clue what you're talking about.

When has it been said that Screamo is Hardcore?

Wow, took me long to spot that on again.

Now, what precisely does The Misfits have to do with the current discussion? And If you honestly take Danzig Era Misfits Lyrics seriously, I have lost whatever faith I initially had in your "Lyrical Expertise".

Ignorance in the Genre? It's not a Genre with a Reputation of Poetics, it's a Genre steeped in Guttural howls. They may have began their lives as Text-based Poetry, but by the time they've been through the singer's Vocal Chords, they are indeed, generally reduced to a level of undecipherable crap never before heard. So keep giving us the original Lyrics. How about some MP3 Files for REAL proof. Hmmm?

And I know what your comment meant, I was stating in response that I will continue to voice my opinion. Despite whoever's Opposition it may come unto, short of a Moderator.

Lastly, I do not need to make you believe anything. I do not need to prove my Ideas, Opinions nor thoughts to you. So I do not intend to. I have stated my position. Deal with it.

Df02
When has it been said that Screamo is Hardcore?

Wow, took me long to spot that on again.

Now, what precisely does The Misfits have to do with the current discussion? And If you honestly take Danzig Era Misfits Lyrics seriously, I have lost whatever faith I initially had in your "Lyrical Expertise".

Ignorance in the Genre? It's not a Genre with a Reputation of Poetics, it's a Genre steeped in Guttural howls. They may have began their lives as Text-based Poetry, but by the time they've been through the singer's Vocal Chords, they are indeed, generally reduced to a level of undecipherable crap never before heard. So keep giving us the original Lyrics. How about some MP3 Files for REAL proof. Hmmm?

And I know what your comment meant, I was stating in response that I will continue to voice my opinion. Despite whoever's Opposition it may come unto, short of a Moderator.

Lastly, I do not need to make you believe anything. I do not need to prove my Ideas, Opinions nor thoughts to you. So I do not intend to. I have stated my position. Deal with it.

if it's never been said, why did you feel the need to be so defensive in your initial post?

The Misfits have to do with this discussion because you're bitching about shit lyrics when Misfits have awful lyrics alot of the time.

see your next paragraph also proves your ignorance... it is a genre with a reputation for poetics and abstract lyrics, you just dont have a clue what you're on about and would rather stick to what you think it's about.
Screamo has screaming in it, oh dear god what a shocker, if you dont like that thats fair enough... but to try criticise the lyrics behind it purely because you dont like screaming vocals is stupid. why give mp3 examples when we're talking about LYRICS?

well if you dont want to prove anything to me, ill stick with my initial opinion that you're completely ignorant of the genre and have made a sweeping accusation based on minimal exposure... care to prove otherwise?

actually... care to provide me with a section of music provided via one of the bands on your list that you'd consider to be technically brilliant, or contain earthshattering lyrics?

Alpha Centauri
I'm still getting a chuckle at the idea of Minor Threat as hardcore.

Them of course being one of the first true emotive hardcore bands (Emo, for those watching at home).

-AC

Bardock42

Them of course being one of the first true emotive hardcore bands (Emo, for those watching at home).

-AC

Minor Threat I know....RATM covered theit "In my Eyes" ....YEAH...I'M AN EMO SPECIALIST.

barbarossa

-AC

From what I gather, the only real Reason Ian & Gang get classified as Hard Core, is due to the Time in which Minor Threat became Popular. Thats simply the way things work, however.

if it's never been said, why did you feel the need to be so defensive in your initial post?

The Misfits have to do with this discussion because you're bitching about shit lyrics when Misfits have awful lyrics alot of the time.

see your next paragraph also proves your ignorance... it is a genre with a reputation for poetics and abstract lyrics, you just dont have a clue what you're on about and would rather stick to what you think it's about.
Screamo has screaming in it, oh dear god what a shocker, if you dont like that thats fair enough... but to try criticise the lyrics behind it purely because you dont like screaming vocals is stupid. why give mp3 examples when we're talking about LYRICS?

well if you dont want to prove anything to me, ill stick with my initial opinion that you're completely ignorant of the genre and have made a sweeping accusation based on minimal exposure... care to prove otherwise?

actually... care to provide me with a section of music provided via one of the bands on your list that you'd consider to be technically brilliant, or contain earthshattering lyrics?

What, Precisely is it, that you claim I am Defensive of?

First, I'm not "Bitching" about poor Lyrics. I am voicing my opinion on Poor lyrics. Just because you are a hothead, gives you no reason to forget common Decency. However, As I went out of my way to make clear, The Misfits most certainly do not have inspiring lyrics. And I Never suggested they did. Nor, do they have any relevance to the Topic at Hand. Drop the Misfits already.

Thats the thing, however. I am doing nothing of the sort, because Screamo Does not have some incredible reputation for being full of lyrical strokes of brilliance. I have had discussions regarding Screamo with people, and to be blunt. You are the Only person to make such erroneous claims. Thats a rather odd Coincident. But naturally, they are all incorrect. Whereas, you are not? Hmmmm?

And taking it upon yourself to repeatedly make claims of my ignorance, do nothing to change the fact that I'm not without experiences with "Screamo". To be honest, I am not the type of person that blindly makes judgement upon things without first attempting to like it. At least not in music.

Yes, I dislike the Bloody Screeching. But It is possible for me to dislike the lyrics at the same time. In any event, it's impossible for me to enjoy the music, when to come to a conclusion as to what is being sung, I have to look up lyrics Online. That is ridiculous, what is the purpose of an artist pouring their creativity into a song that WILL NOT BE UNDERSTOOD?

Hmmm, a list eh? Of some of my Artists, eh? Well, here is a few that are on this Playlist.

John Lennon, Johnny Cash, Bad Religion, Stiff Little Fingers, Rage Against The Machine, A Perfect Circle.

Would you like some lyrics from one of these? Alright, We'll Start with Number One on the List, John Lennon.

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

Alright, let us move on to, Stiff Little Fingers.

Nothin' for us in Belfast
The Pound so old it's a pity
OK, there's the Trident in Bangor
Then walk back to the city
We ain't got nothin' but they don't really care
They don't even know you know
Just want our money
And we can take it or leave it
What we need is

(Chorus)
An Alternative Ulster
Grab it change it it's yours
Get an Alternative Ulster
Ignore the bores and their laws
Be an anti-security force
Alter your native Ulster
Alter your native land

Take a look where you're livin'
You got the Army on your street
And the RUC dog of repression
Is barking at your feet
Is this the kind of place you wanna live?
Is this were you wanna be?
Is this the only life we're gonna have?
What we need is

(Chorus)

They say they're a part of you
But that's not true you know
They say they've got control of you
And that's a lie you know
They say you will never be

Free free free

And Finally, I think we'll end with Johnny Cash.

I keep a close watch on this heart of mine
I keep my eyes wide open all the time.
I keep the ends out for the tie that binds
Because you're mine,
I walk the line

I find it very, very easy to be true
I find myself alone when each day is through
Yes, I'll admit I'm a fool for you
Because you're mine,
I walk the line

As sure as night is dark and day is light
I keep you on my mind both day and night
And happiness I've known proves that it's right
Because you're mine,
I walk the line

You've got a way to keep me on your side
You give me cause for love that I can't hide
For you I know I'd even try to turn the tide
Because you're mine,
I walk the line

Hmmm, Satisfied?

Alpha Centauri
First, why are you BOTH discussing lyrics? What the hell do they matter? Mindless Self Indulgence have shit lyrics mostly, but I'd still rather listen to them than probably either of your favourite bands (and I share tastes with both of you), who probably do have better lyrics. At least discuss the music.

Thats the thing, however. I am doing nothing of the sort, because Screamo Does not have some incredible reputation for being full of lyrical strokes of brilliance. I have had discussions regarding Screamo with people, and to be blunt. You are the Only person to make such erroneous claims. Thats a rather odd Coincident. But naturally, they are all incorrect. Whereas, you are not? Hmmmm?

Maybe you're talking to like-minded people who hate the idea of said music. The irony is that most "punk" fans or whatever keep saying how sucky emo is, etc, then they think they're the shit for listening to Fugazi or Minor Threat. Two of the first emo bands.

I don't agree with Df02, first off, about screamo being a legitimate tag. The music, fine, couldn't care less. The name itself I hate and don't recognise. I just think emo gets way too much wrongly attached stigma.

I know for a fact you hate anyone calling anything punk, nowadays. Even Green Day, who can at least have punk elements traced back. So I think it's a bit unfair that you pop off at him for defending a genre.

Yes, I dislike the Bloody Screeching. But It is possible for me to dislike the lyrics at the same time. In any event, it's impossible for me to enjoy the music, when to come to a conclusion as to what is being sung, I have to look up lyrics Online. That is ridiculous, what is the purpose of an artist pouring their creativity into a song that WILL NOT BE UNDERSTOOD?

If you are trying too hard to focus on the words that one member of the band writes, then I suggest you re-evaluate your entire outlook on the artform we call MUSIC.

I love Converge, they are one of my favourite bands. Do I understand the lyrics being screeched? No. I don't care either, because I don't buy it to know the words, I buy it to listen to what they are all producing as a sound. If the lyrics are what you are interested in, stop buying CDs and book mark metrolyrics.com.

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger

He was known for going on expensive personal splurges and massive self-indulgence. Hardly a consistent set of ethics from Mr. Lennon.

-AC

barbarossa

Maybe you're talking to like-minded people who hate the idea of said music. The irony is that most "punk" fans or whatever keep saying how sucky emo is, etc, then they think they're the shit for listening to Fugazi or Minor Threat. Two of the first emo bands.

I know for a fact you hate anyone calling anything punk, nowadays. Even Green Day, who can at least have punk elements traced back. So I think it's a bit unfair that you pop off at him for defending a genre.

If you are trying too hard to focus on the words that one member of the band writes, then I suggest you re-evaluate your entire outlook on the artform we call MUSIC.

-AC

Hmmm, In your shoes. I would of assumed the same myself, however. I've actually had discussion of this with rather diverse groups of people. I guess It could just be a Diverse group of coincendeces that lead us to agree on much. And, I am a Fan of Minor Threat (Which I do disagree with you on the point of it being Emotional Core) and Jimmy Eat World. I have problems with admitting this either. As I have no problems With Emo. I've worked my way through the Morass of mainstream Knockoff bands that claim to be Emo, and have found the real stuff to be enjoyable. Obviously that, is not trashtalk.

No, I don't hate people calling "Anything" Punk. I merely strongly disagree with someone using an all but dead Name, on massively Mainstream Bands, for nothing but overwhelming Profit. Theres a reason The Buzzcock's Steve Diggle thought nothing of Greenday.

I don't try too hard to focus on the Lyrics alone. As a Drummer, I actually invest much time following the Percussion. I simply am a Fan of cohearant Lyrics. I find it enjoyable to know what a song is about by simply listening to it.

Alpha Centauri
Hmmm, In your shoes. I would of assumed the same myself, however. I've actually had discussion of this with rather diverse groups of people. I guess It could just be a Diverse group of coincendeces that lead us to agree on much. And, I am a Fan of Minor Threat (Which I do disagree with you on the point of it being Emotional Core) and Jimmy Eat World. I have problems with admitting this either. As I have no problems With Emo. I've worked my way through the Morass of mainstream Knockoff bands that claim to be Emo, and have found the real stuff to be enjoyable. Obviously that, is not trashtalk.

Well it can be argued whether Minor Threat are a punk band or one of the earliest emo(tive hardcore) bands, but both are accepted, so I don't see any point in pressing the matter. If anything, Embrace are/were Ian Mackaye's first true emo band.

No, I don't hate people calling "Anything" Punk. I merely strongly disagree with someone using an all but dead Name, on massively Mainstream Bands, for nothing but overwhelming Profit. Theres a reason The Buzzcock's Steve Diggle thought nothing of Greenday.

The same for me and emo, then. The last wave of emo was bands like Clarity-era Jimmy Eat World, but that's long since gone.

I don't try too hard to focus on the Lyrics alone. As a Drummer, I actually invest much time following the Percussion. I simply am a Fan of cohearant Lyrics. I find it enjoyable to know what a song is about by simply listening to it.

I always maintain that it's much better to get what you want out of a song, unless it has some blindingly obvious meaning. That's up to you though.

From my point of view, it seems that you're not so much a fan of coherent lyrics, as you are not a fan of indecipherable vocals. I'm sure there are bands with vocalists who sing cleanly that you love, yet still have to look up the lyrics for to actually know what they say.

For example, Minor Threat had vocals that weren't exactly easy to decipher, due to the way Mackaye blasted them out, but the sound of his vocals clearly appeal to you. So it seems that the lyrical content isn't your problem, it's the way they vocals are delivered. You simply don't like screeching, which is nothing new, neither do millions of others. Just like there are people who don't necessarily find Johnny Cash to be that enthralling, and would rather listen to Grady Avenell or Jacob Bannon screaming their lungs up.

I like Johnny Cash, but I prefer Converge, just because that's what I prefer.

-AC

barbarossa

I always maintain that it's much better to get what you want out of a song, unless it has some blindingly obvious meaning. That's up to you though.

-AC

Yes, sometimes. However, there are times where I like to listen to something that requires me to not have to examine the Lyrics. To listen to music that simply, thinks for me. I don't know if that makes any sense to you.

But I essentially, can agree with everything in which you have just stated.

Df02
From what I gather, the only real Reason Ian & Gang get classified as Hard Core, is due to the Time in which Minor Threat became Popular. Thats simply the way things work, however.

Or because they are widely regarded as one of the first Emo bands

What, Precisely is it, that you claim I am Defensive of?
you made a whole post saying how certain bands were hardcore and other werent... i ignored the fact that you have an emo band in that list.

First, I'm not "Bitching" about poor Lyrics. I am voicing my opinion on Poor lyrics. Just because you are a hothead, gives you no reason to forget common Decency. However, As I went out of my way to make clear, The Misfits most certainly do not have inspiring lyrics. And I Never suggested they did. Nor, do they have any relevance to the Topic at Hand. Drop the Misfits already.
Drop the misfits already? i only mentioned them once then clarified it... but since you said you're voicing your opinion on poor lyrics, then said you know misfits have poor lyrics (paraphrasing) but you dont mind... why should lyrics be an issue?

i never said incredible reputation... but it DOES have a reputation for abstract poetic lyrics. i dont care how many people you know said otherwise.

And taking it upon yourself to repeatedly make claims of my ignorance, do nothing to change the fact that I'm not without experiences with "Screamo". To be honest, I am not the type of person that blindly makes judgement upon things without first attempting to like it. At least not in music.
so, like i said... what screamo have you heard and disliked? im just curious now.

ahhh so you just dislike the screaming... and claimed you couldnt hear what was being said, actually saying they just sung 'raawrh' etc, makes me think you didnt actually know the real lyrics.

<snip>/B] not satisfied really no, because i asked for portions of musical brilliance from the list you made earlier in the thread... ie the list of 'true hardcore'

i happen to enjoy screaming vocals, like i said i just see vocals as another instrument creating sound layers in the song... if im really interested i look up the lyrics to the songs... but it ruffles my feathers when someone says lyrics are just rawwrh rawwrh, when 'true hardcore' lyrics on the whole are, just as bad/good (depending on stance).

And AC i use screamo because it's easy, yea it's lazy of me, but i really dont care haha... it's descriptive and easily understood, it seperates the style differences between say Fugazi and Heroin/pg99 who otherwise would both just be stuck under emo.

padmeXskywalker
http://www2.vans.com/warpedBBS/viewtopic.php?t=475

if the band you want to post isnt on this list, then they arent emo... give or take a few bands, but i can garuantee those few bands wont be any that you're thinking of.

this is a general post, 'you' refers to noone in particular

Where did that person get all those bands from? I bet that's just one persons idea of what Emo is. Ok, so every one are like "Ahhh blink 182! burn them, they deserve to die!" but i think theyre awseome and in my world they count as Emo (and other bands too).
and also those bands on the website have really lame names like "i hate myself"? thats so stupid and cheesy!

Df02
Where did that person get all those bands from? I bet that's just one persons idea of what Emo is. Ok, so every one are like "Ahhh blink 182! burn them, they deserve to die!" but i think theyre awseome and in my world they count as Emo (and other bands too).
and also those bands on the website have really lame names like "i hate myself"? thats so stupid and cheesy!

no its quite clearly not one persons idea of what emo is... Emo is practically a dead genre and even when it was alive at its prime the majority of the bands were on independant labels, thats a list of all the bands that are genuinely Emotive Hardcore compiled together...

you think Blink 182 are emo, that's fair enough, you're wrong though Blink 182 are quite clearly pop-punk maybe punk on some records... but ive given up trying to convince people of their ignorance now.

Names arent really important are they though? the music they make is...

tabby999
indeed, i was telling a friend how i wanted to get a "Am I Alive Or Just Breathing?" tattoo done and was told "that is SOOOOO emo." actually thats Killswitch Engage, and most of their fans would bite off your head for calling them emo...sorry, off topic, just point out Emo is like Punk, not something to be labled easily (if at all)

barbarossa
Or because they are widely regarded as one of the first Emo bands

so, like i said... what screamo have you heard and disliked? im just curious now.

not satisfied really no, because i asked for portions of musical brilliance from the list you made earlier in the thread... ie the list of 'true hardcore'

That first comment makes little sense. They are thought to be Hardcore, Because they are thought to be Emo?

I have mainly heard what I have through a few friends that are rather big fan. One of them I'm actually hanging out with reletively soon, so I can get some names of things he has played while I'm around.

You never actually specified what lyrics you would like me to post. You simply said "your list" which is quite easily construed as meaning Playlist. Which I simply took to be a jab at my musical tastes. But, since you ask.

Black Flag:

THIS FEELING HAUNTS ME
BEHIND THESE EYES
THE SHELL SEEMS SO EMPTY
DOES ANYTHING LIVE INSIDE?

I WANT TO LIVE
I WISH I WAS DEAD

I DON'T EVEN WANT TO THINK I'M STUCK HERE
AND I KNOW IT
I DON'T WANT TO SEE
MAKE ME CLOSE MY EYES

I WANT TO LIVE I WISH I WAS DEAD

I LOOK IN YOUR EYES
AND SEE IT'S ALWAYS THIS WAY
LIVE THE LIE AND TAKE A DIVE
JUST TO MAKE IT DIE

I'VE JUST GOT TO CLOSE MY EYES
I'VE GOT TO CLOSE MY EYES
I'VE GOT TO CLOSE MY EYES

Sorry about the Caps. Thats what the Document was in when I saved it.

Df02
"I daresay there is hardly a hint of Brilliance in that Verse. It sounds like something I've heard depressed children mumble to themselves."

Alpha Centauri
It doesn't count then, see; Because it's by Black Flag.

(I agree with you, but that's the suggestion by many people, and I do love Black Flag.).

-AC

Victor Von Doom
There's no point raising actual lyrics with reference to vocal style.

Delivery and words don't necessarily inform each other.

barbarossa
"I daresay there is hardly a hint of Brilliance in that Verse. It sounds like something I've heard depressed children mumble to themselves."

Hmmmm, Your point is? Not once did I ever suggest that Actual Hard Core is that great Lyrically. My point the entire time has been that neither is Screamo, nor are those lyrics Intelligable.

Besides, It's Henry Rollins. He gets angry at Trees.

Alpha Centauri
It's not intelligible to place capital letters in the middle of your sentences without reason either.

On topic, why are you discussing lyrics? Plenty of great songs have shit lyrics, it's stupid to say a style of music is shit because SOME of the lyrics are shit. Furthermore, you seem to be saying that "screamo" has shit lyrics, what kind of assumption is that? That's like some ill-informed TRL-fed teenager saying that rock has shit lyrics and happens to be all screaming.

-AC

Df02
ive just resigned to the fact that he hates it, and no matter what i say he'll just keep saying he hates it.

if you dont like something, say you dont like it... dont slate it, especially when you dont have a leg to stand on.

btw i wouldnt say the lyrics i provided were shit... they arent ground breaking and theyre a touch on the soppy side, but they are psuedo-poetic and abstract, and i happen to like them quite a bit.

barbarossa
ive just resigned to the fact that he hates it, and no matter what i say he'll just keep saying he hates it.

if you dont like something, say you dont like it... dont slate it, especially when you dont have a leg to stand on.

btw i wouldnt say the lyrics i provided were shit... they arent ground breaking and theyre a touch on the soppy side, but they are psuedo-poetic and abstract, and i happen to like them quite a bit.

But I Do Have a leg to stand on. Simply saying I do not, does not make it so.

And yes, I do hate it. And no, You can't say anything to change this. The only thing that will, is me hearing something that proves my Oppinions wrong. But this is yet to happen.

Df02
But I Do Have a leg to stand on. Simply saying I do not, does not make it so.

And yes, I do hate it. And no, You can't say anything to change this. The only thing that will, is me hearing something that proves my Oppinions wrong. But this is yet to happen.

and what would that leg be? the factually bad lyrics or the factually bad music? or would it be that you just dont like it?

because if you just dont like it, you cant and shouldnt just say it's a terrible genre.

barbarossa
The factually bad lyrics and singing style, which tends to make it bad music. That is my leg.

Bardock42
The factually bad lyrics and singing style, which tends to make it bad music. That is my leg.

Factually bad lyrics?

Alpha Centauri

It's not factually bad, nor are the lyrics factually bad. You think they are, others think they are not. Taste and preference are subjective, so if that's your leg then you honestly haven't got one to stand on.

All you've seemed to do in this thread is make sweeping and often misinformed generalisations.

-AC

LBC&CTH
Taking Back Sunday
and
A True Story

Df02

thanks for, in one post, making me realise i should never have paid attention to your opinion, ever.

barbarossa
It's not factually bad, nor are the lyrics factually bad. You think they are, others think they are not. Taste and preference are subjective, so if that's your leg then you honestly haven't got one to stand on.

All you've seemed to do in this thread is make sweeping and often misinformed generalisations.

-AC

Generalisations? Yes, when I hear over fifteen examples of a Genre, and they all have the same pitfalls, I am of coarse, going to Stereotype the rest. As I have said, multiple times to you two. Show me something different, and there is a chance of me changing my opinion. In the meantime, find something better to do than attempting to change my mind with words. Just telling that there are good examples of a style of music, will do absolutely nothing. Prove that there is good in something that I have seen only bad. If you cannot do this, this conversation was for nothing. But to prove that you two are just another couple of people, out to find an argument.

thanks for, in one post, making me realise i should never have paid attention to your opinion, ever.

Thank you for one of the most pointless examples of poor English I've ever seen. If you intend on adressing me in a post, at least make that post worth the time and Energy I will commit to reading it.

Alpha Centauri
Generalisations? Yes, when I hear over fifteen examples of a Genre, and they all have the same pitfalls, I am of coarse, going to Stereotype the rest. As I have said, multiple times to you two. Show me something different, and there is a chance of me changing my opinion. In the meantime, find something better to do than attempting to change my mind with words. Just telling that there are good examples of a style of music, will do absolutely nothing. Prove that there is good in something that I have seen only bad. If you cannot do this, this conversation was for nothing. But to prove that you two are just another couple of people, out to find an argument.

Listen to yourself, it's pathetic.

I can't prove to you that music I like, or that Df02 likes, is good. Nobody can prove that music is "good" or better than another kind, purely based on preference. I can sit here and say "The Misfits make shit music", and you can't prove me wrong, because taste is always opinion, there's no objectivity to subjectivity, and that's exactly what your opinion of this kind of music is. It's just that; your opinion.

I'm not here trying to change your opinion, I don't even agree with Df02 on a lot of his thoughts on said genre, but you made the pathetic claim of it being factually bad, which is factually wrong. Bad to you? Yes. To Df02? No.

If you believe you can prove to someone what is and isn't good, from a subjective level, then you really need to rethink things. You can't prove that it's all bad any more than Df02 can prove it's all good.

Thank you for one of the most pointless examples of poor English I've ever seen. If you intend on adressing me in a post, at least make that post worth the time and Energy I will commit to reading it.

I swear you are the one who capitalises random words in the middle of a paragraph; a main cardinal sin of grammar. Why is "energy" capitalised? By grammatical standards, what he said isn't as bad as some of the things that pop up in your posts.

Yet, how relevant is all this? Not relevant at all, so why bring it up? I've got nothing against you, but throwing stones in glass houses isn't usually a good idea.

-AC

Df02

there was nothing wrong with the English in my post. except possibly that i didnt capitalise the first letter of the sentence, but then you are in no position to quibble about capitalisation.

Df02
double post, sorry...

might as well use this post as a place to say that ive never claimed opinion as fact in this thread. It's been fun having this argument, but there's no point continuing when you're resigned to portraying your opinions as factually correct.

jaden101
said the person who cant spell addressing correctly and also capitalises energy for no apparent reason

Kayne Archeron
let's face it, emo only works right now because girls have some odd fetish for whiny voices which will soon tide over for true talent

jaden101
Originally posted by Kayne Archeron
let's face it, emo only works right now because girls have some odd fetish for whiny voices which will soon tide over for true talent

but it's turning into more image based than anything to do with music...you see hordes of emo types walking the streets yet you ask them what they listen to and they wouldn't know an emo band if it smacked them in the face...

which i find totally bizarre

Kayne Archeron
Originally posted by jaden101
but it's turning into more image based than anything to do with music...you see hordes of emo types walking the streets yet you ask them what they listen to and they wouldn't know an emo band if it smacked them in the face...

probably why the music sounds worse than rap already, which is scary

Rare__Fox
I was emo...but i neaver realy liked the emo type mucie only if you count metail mucie emo...

Silverstein
Originally posted by jaden101

-its sad, i know people that THINK 'emo' is a fashion. They go buy youth size shirts and girls pants, and the latest fallout boy cd... confused

-90% of people @ my school dont even know the correct definition.

-those fashion 'emo's i think they're called posers. maybe?

souvinir
im not that into emo music but i say AFI

calvs
ALL EMO SUCKS, THREAD SOLVED.

SeptemberRain
-its sad, i know people that THINK 'emo' is a fashion. They go buy youth size shirts and girls pants, and the latest fallout boy cd... confused

-90% of people @ my school dont even know the correct definition.

-those fashion 'emo's i think they're called posers. maybe?

are you thinking of emo people or scene kids?

because emo kids,I thought wore rivers cuomo glasses. I didnt think they wear girl pants.

calvs
Originally posted by SeptemberRain
are you thinking of emo people or scene kids?

because emo kids,I thought wore rivers cuomo glasses. I didnt think they wear girl pants. Emo is more of an 'attitude', but what you are asking, the answer is they are one in the same.

~Da Rev~
Originally posted by calvs
ALL EMO SUCKS, THREAD SOLVED. Untrue.

Alpha Centauri
Emo is more of an 'attitude', but what you are asking, the answer is they are one in the same.

You're wrong, by the way. It's always funny seeing people try to act high and mighty while telling others what emo is, then getting it wrong.

-AC

SeptemberRain
Emo is more of an 'attitude', but what you are asking, the answer is they are one in the same.

well, im not asking about the personality exactly. Im speaking of fashion of emo vs. scene kids. They are, in fact, not the same thing.

Besides if your talking about attitude, emo kids are, well, emotional. They wear their hearts on their sleeves. Focusing on heart break would be the main form of being emo.

Scene kids feel they are better than everybody else. They are vain(sp?). Scene kids dye their hair black and white, wear bandanas, tight clothes, white leather spiky belts with the buckle to the side or back. But back to the music; emo kids listen to emo while scene kids are supposed to listen to hardcore, metal, emo, and indie music. But mainly hardcore and metal.

Alpha Centauri
well, im not asking about the personality exactly. Im speaking of fashion of emo vs. scene kids. They are, in fact, not the same thing.

Besides if your talking about attitude, emo kids are, well, emotional. They wear their hearts on their sleeves. Focusing on heart break would be the main form of being emo.

Scene kids feel they are better than everybody else. They are vain(sp?). Scene kids dye their hair black and white, wear bandanas, tight clothes, white leather spiky belts with the buckle to the side or back. But back to the music; emo kids listen to emo while scene kids are supposed to listen to hardcore, metal, emo, and indie music. But mainly hardcore and metal.

That's nothing to do with emo, you're wrong in every possible way.

Nor does emo mean "emotional".

-AC

SeptemberRain

-AC

well I am right about the scene kids.

if emo does not mean emotional than what is it? enlighten me.
I know as a musical genre, emo is an off shoot of punk.
But the term emo is wrong itself for the type of music, because there is emotion in every music genre.

Alpha Centauri
well I am right about the scene kids.

if emo does not mean emotional than what is it? enlighten me.
I know as a musical genre, emo is an off shoot of punk.
But the term emo is wrong itself for the type of music, because there is emotion in every music genre.

What do you mean AS a genre? That's all it WAS. Emo doesn't mean emotion or emotional, though. Stupid kids think it means that, hence why they think it's stupid.

It's short for emotive hardcore, a long dead genre. I've had to repeat this to about 15 people on this site.

-AC

SeptemberRain
What do you mean AS a genre? That's all it WAS. Emo doesn't mean emotion or emotional, though. Stupid kids think it means that, hence why they think it's stupid.

It's short for emotive hardcore, a long dead genre. I've had to repeat this to about 15 people on this site.

-AC

well people take it as a a fashion sense now, dont they?

How do you know this? Im not trying to be a dick but I read an article along time ago that stated that emo was "the emotional genre".
Ive nver herad of the term emotive hardcore.

and Ive only heard of hardcore being the type of music thats highly influenced by metal and the singers scream alot.

Alpha Centauri
well people take it as a a fashion sense now, dont they?

Yes, and they're wrong to do so. That's not what "emo" means.

How do you know this? Im not trying to be a dick but I read an article along time ago that stated that emo was "the emotional genre".
Ive nver herad of the term emotive hardcore.

Oh, you've never heard it so it must be wrong. All the music history that I've studied, all the emotive hardcore punk bands that spawned the term, they must all be wrong.

No, that's not what emo mean. Emo is a shortened term for emotive hardcore, and that genre is all but dead.

and Ive only heard of hardcore being the type of music thats highly influenced by metal and the singers scream alot.

So? What does this matter? You not having heard of it doesn't mean it's false.

"'Emo' is not short for 'Emotional.' 'Emo' does not mean Taking Back Sunday and Dashboard Confessional, despite what MTV has lead you to believe in the last few years. 'Emo' is not sidebangs, tight pants, and male vocalists who sing like little girls about their failed relationships. 'Emo' is not the use of diluted, meaningless metaphors and similes such as 'My arms are like pinecones.', and most definitely is not the rampant use of words such as 'autumn', 'heart', 'knife', 'bleeding', 'leaves', and 'razorblade.'.

I just thought I'd clear that up after all of these 'definitions' in which I have encountered an unbelievable amount of people who try to pass off their blatantly false pretenses as fact, and are slowly infecting others with their high-horse, holier-than-thou bullshit. Because honestly, with your ridiculous definitions, Beethoven, George Gershwin, and Britney Spears are/was 'emo bands.'.

Now, onto the real definition.

In the early 90s there was a movement in the hardcore genre that came to be known as 'emotive hardcore', spearheaded by Rites of Spring. Harder-core-than-thou kids, who swore by Dischord Records a la Minor Threat, actually coined the term 'Emo' as something of a put-down for the kids who really liked Rites of Spring, Indian Summer and this new wave of 'emotive hardcore' bands. That's right, 'Emo' was once not something kids called themselves. The field exploded outwards from there - Level-Plane Records has always been the most famous emo label. Acts like Yaphet Kotto, I Hate Myself, Saetia, Hot Cross, A Day In Black And White, Funeral Diner, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You, You And I, and hosts of others came in the next decade. Most emo bands have since broken up, but there's still the occasional hold-out (again, the majority of Level-Plane Records' roster has been a procession of emo acts). Like most DIY hardcore/punk of the time, a majority found its way onto vinyl and not much else. Some people consider bands like Fugazi, and later Sunny Day Real Estate, a progression of emo, but personally, I don't quite follow that philosophy.

Often, more recently, this gets intertwined with post-hardcore, and understandably so - that's nothing to make an issue of, since well shit, at least it's close.

Since the late 90s, though, bands have been emerging in the vein of Taking Back Sunday, Dashboard Confessional, and the thousands of their clones. As far as I can tell, some lazy journalist somewhere, writing an article about them, decided 'Well, f*ck, no one knows what emo is anyways, so I'll call these bands 'emo.' - sounds more appealing than bubblegum pop rock...' and the spiral continued downwards into the current amalgomation of bands MTV has told everyone is 'emo.'.

Somehow, people decided that 'emo' meant 'emotional', which is obviously bullshit, as 99% of bands make music to illicit emotion, which would make 'emotional' a completely all-encompassing genre from classical to opera to pop to rap.".

This was typed by someone else, but it's a mostly correct explanation. With the exception of Fugazi not being emo, but a case can be made either way there.

-AC

SeptemberRain
geez man,

I was just asking a damn uqestion because I was actually intersted in knowing what is really is. I wasnt saying that I was correct. I was stating what I know. calm down.

Alpha Centauri
geez man,

I was just asking a damn uqestion because I was actually intersted in knowing what is really is. I wasnt saying that I was correct. I was stating what I know. calm down.

I was calm, I just don't like ignorance.

-AC

SeptemberRain
I was calm, I just don't like ignorance.

-AC

well thats understandable, but i was trying to lose my ignorance on the subject.

Bardock42
well thats understandable, but i was trying to lose my ignorance on the subject.

Then read, understand and accept what he posted. That would be a first step.

SeptemberRain
Then read, understand and accept what he posted. That would be a first step.

done and done

Bardock42
done and done

....and done?

SeptemberRain
....and done?

yeah okay

calvs

-AC You're retarded.

Alpha Centauri
You're retarded.

No, you are.

-AC

§P0oONY
Emo (Music)

"Emo is a subgenre of hardcore punk music. Since its inception, emo has come to describe several independent variations, linked loosely but with common ancestry. As such, use of the term (and which musicians should be so classified) has been the subject of much debate.

In its original incarnation, the term emo was used to describe the music of the mid-1980s Washington, DC scene and its associated bands. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the DC scene and some of the regional scenes that spawned from it. The term emo was derived from the fact that, on occasion, members of a band would become spontaneously and strongly emotional during performances. The most recognizable names of the period included Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Gray Matter, Fire Party, and, slightly later, Moss Icon. The first wave of emo began to fade after the breakups of most of the involved bands in the early 1990s.

Starting in the mid-1990s, the term emo began to reflect the indie scene that followed the influences of Fugazi, which itself was an offshoot of the first wave of emo. Bands including Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas Is the Reason put forth a more indie rock style of emo, more melodic and less chaotic in nature than its predecessor. The so-called "indie emo" scene survived until the late 1990s, as many of the bands either disbanded or shifted to mainstream styles.

As the remaining indie emo bands entered the mainstream, newer bands began to emulate the more mainstream style, creating a style of music that has now earned the moniker emo within popular culture. Whereas, even in the past, the term emo was used to identify a wide variety of bands, the breadth of bands listed under today's emo is even more vast, leaving the term "emo" as more of a loose identifier than as a specific genre of music."

w00t

Alpha Centauri

§P0oONY
Meh, like I really give a shit... I just take any opportunity to quote my true love.... God bless you Wikipedia.

Alpha Centauri
You gave a shit enough to post.

-AC

§P0oONY

Bardiel13
*gasp!* This thread is still alive?!
Surprise, it looks like I'm not the only one who disagrees with AC! eek!

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>