God is greater

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wonderer
God is greater than any interpretation and religion about him. When it comes to the truth, we are all just as far or close to it than anybody else. Any religion that claims to have the only truth about God is arrogant and more misguided than anyone else, because God laughs at those who think they have knowledge. That's why Adam and Eve was punished! laughing

SelphieT
so....is god laughing at you because you know the truth about the truth?

Wonderer
Originally posted by SelphieT
so....is god laughing at you because you know the truth about the truth?
Probably. That's the point I'm trying to make. I'm not claiming I have the truth, I'm saying that we cannot have it, which is not stating 'The Truth', but more like saying like Socrates: I know that I don't know, get it?

.:Space Opera:.
no, you know what you don't give a shit about. thats different.

"Any religion that claims to have the only truth about God is arrogant and more misguided than anyone else, because God laughs at those who think they have knowledge."

hence the reason for faith. show me any biblical proof that god laughs at our own knowledge of him. the fact that you have no idea what the hell you are talking about is arrogant in itself. so before you make uneducated judgements on shit you obviously have no clue about, do your damn research.

JaehSkywalker
i don't really get it..

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Wonderer
Any religion that claims to have the only truth about God is arrogant and more misguided than anyone else, because God laughs at those who think they have knowledge.

Hmmm. Well that would be most religions then.

Personally I prefer gods (or figures) that encourage knowledge, the seeking of wisdom and enlightenment (in a concept kind of way) such Ganesh, Buddha, Thoth. And maybe Dionysus for the primal chaos of change and creativity he represents (as well as wine.)

No, not really. One way of interpreting some of the tings Socrates said in relation to wisdom and knowledge is that it is about realising how little you know, and can ever know. Any person who claims to "know it all/the ultimate truth" would be misguided and lack wisdom, as there is no way for a person to know everything.

Of course Socrates goes a lot deeper then that.

Well I guess then again there isn't really Biblical proof he doesn't laugh at us (being prepared to send people to Hell it doesn't seem that far fetched he might not laugh.) But then again if he did exist, and was anything like the prudish type represented in the Bible he doesn't seem like the laughing sort. Plagues and death yes, laughter no.

Wonderer
Originally posted by .messedpace Opera:.
no, you know what you don't give a shit about. thats different.

"Any religion that claims to have the only truth about God is arrogant and more misguided than anyone else, because God laughs at those who think they have knowledge."

hence the reason for faith. show me any biblical proof that god laughs at our own knowledge of him. the fact that you have no idea what the hell you are talking about is arrogant in itself. so before you make uneducated judgements on shit you obviously have no clue about, do your damn research.
It seems you're unaware of Christianity's superiority claim! The Bible condemns all other religions and it declares itself as the only truth. You are the ignorant one here.

Alliance
God is greater than any interpretation and religion about him. When it comes to the truth, we are all just as far or close to it than anybody else. Any religion that claims to have the only truth about God is arrogant and more misguided than anyone else, because God laughs at those who think they have knowledge. That's why Adam and Eve was punished! laughing

This dictats that god must exist.

Nellinator
I think its pathetic that people make up their own god. "God laughs at those who think they have knowledge". LAUGHING OUT LOUD. You totally made that up. You have made your imagination and wants be your god. That is truly sad and misguided because it makes you think you have some semblance of the truth, but absolutely nothing other than idiocy to base it on. Not that I'm judging or anything like that....

Alliance
You made up your god too.

Nellinator
Really? At the very least someone else made him up for me and at least took time to write a good book about Him.

Alliance
So did all the other religons of the book. Every god has their mythology. Its part of the deal.

Wonderer
Originally posted by Nellinator
I think its pathetic that people make up their own god. "God laughs at those who think they have knowledge". LAUGHING OUT LOUD. You totally made that up. You have made your imagination and wants be your god. That is truly sad and misguided because it makes you think you have some semblance of the truth, but absolutely nothing other than idiocy to base it on. Not that I'm judging or anything like that....
My dear friend, you seem confused and angered at my statement. I'm not trying to make up anything, but I'm merely expressing my feelings toward God. Please, I wish you no harm or judgement. To me, God or the ultimate truth does exist, in fact, it is existence. And in the face of this truth, it 'laughs' at us in a metaphorical sense, because we think we know the truth via concepts. The truth does exist, but we can only live inside it and truly know it without our proud conceptual systems through faith in its goodnes and absolute nature of God.

Peace and happiness to you, my fellow being. smile

Wonderer
My dear friend, you seem confused and angered at my statement. I'm not trying to make up anything, but I'm merely expressing my feelings toward God. Please, I wish you no harm or judgement. To me, God or the ultimate truth does exist, in fact, it is existence. And in the face of this truth, it 'laughs' at us in a metaphorical sense, because we think we know the truth via concepts. The truth does exist, but we can only live inside it and truly know it without our proud conceptual systems through faith in its goodnes and absolute nature.

Peace and happiness to you, my fellow being. smile

Alliance
Its my fellow ENITITY! ENTITY! ENTITY! ENTITY! laughing

Nellinator
I was being sarcastic and cynical. I hope you understand I didn't really mean any of it and I did understand your metaphor. My apologies.

Alliance
I never know. Some people hold that opinion.

Wonderer
Originally posted by Alliance
I never know. Some people hold that opinion.
Very true. To some people things are a joke(like God laughing out loud ), while to others it's very serious(us people). It's all good though.

Originally posted by Nellinator
I was being sarcastic and cynical. I hope you understand I didn't really mean any of it and I did understand your metaphor. My apologies.

cool It's ok, I'm sarcastic and cynical also sometimes, but I try not to be.

mahasattva

Does this God, a creator, not only get hate but also laughs? Does he smile a lot? what does he look like when he smile and get angry? confused

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by mahasattva
Does this God, a creator, not only get hate but also laughs? Does he smile a lot? what does he look like when he smile and get angry? confused

"He" looks like you and me, because "he" is you and me. big grin

Alliance
He looks like the imagination cool

Shakyamunison
He looks like the imagination cool

That too. cool

Alliance
laughing

debbiejo
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
"He" looks like you and me, because "he" is you and me. big grin Just look in the mirror..... yes

We are all part of what it is....just different parts of it...like a cell in a body...only on a grander scale....So, why would god throw parts of it's self in a place called hell......would I cut off my arm?...no, I would not because it is part of me...

Alliance
Show me your rusty innards! pirate

mahasattva
"He" looks like you and me, because "he" is you and me. big grin

So, God then is the true nature nature(reality) of all things? Which some kind to think that the Buddha is otherwordly ebing but is actually true nature or character of all living beings... what about those who teach that God is greater and apart from us?

Alliance
what about them?

Shakyamunison
So, God then is the true nature nature(reality) of all things? Which some kind to think that the Buddha is otherwordly ebing but is actually true nature or character of all living beings... what about those who teach that God is greater and apart from us?

Who are these people? Christians? confused

Alliance
Who are these people?

Ahh...the daily question.

debbiejo
What I would call god is much greater...............just is to us.......infact we can't even figure it out.

Alliance
if its permenantly beyond our comprhension, does it even have any consequence?

mahasattva
Who are these people? Christians? confused

Hmmm....is that apply to Christians alone? Perhaps, what we call the people of western faith....?glare

JaehSkywalker
mahattsava, do you really come from the same place as i do?

and i'm guessing not just Christians.

debbiejo
if its permenantly beyond our comprhension, does it even have any consequence? Hmmmmm maybe that would be part of the creative process of "Sowing and Reaping".....not a bad thing, but just a cause and effect......

Shakyamunison
Hmmm....is that apply to Christians alone? Perhaps, what we call the people of western faith....?glare

Ok, yes I understand. big grin

Alliance
I dont understand this permenatn distancing between western'eastern faiths.

Shakyamunison

I don't understand it either, but I think it is more a western fault then an eastern.

Alliance
Perhaps, but its a global problem that needs to be corrected. I'm sick of hemispherism.

Shakyamunison
Perhaps, but its a global problem that needs to be corrected. I'm sick of hemispherism.

I agree.

Alliance
cool

Regret

It isn't a distancing. It is a label given to distinguish between the philosophical differences between the belief systems. Eastern religions typically have a more internal locus of religious control while Western religions typically have a more external locus of religious control.

Problems arise because many people view their self worth by comparison to others. Thus, if another has a differing view it should be lower than one's own view. As such it is not the appropriate view, and should not be held. Given this people decide that the other view is a threat to their view and must remove it. The more unique an individual believes himself and his views to be the more risk of that individual becoming unstable in the community.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Regret
...The more unique an individual believes himself and his views to be the more risk of that individual becoming unstable in the community.

I agreed with you until that last sentence. Unique view does not always = unstable. This maybe the fear of the un-unique people, but it is often untrue.

Regret

Shakyamunison

Regret
thumbup

Alliance
Originally posted by Regret
It isn't a distancing. It is a label given to distinguish between the philosophical differences between the belief systems. Eastern religions typically have a more internal locus of religious control while Western religions typically have a more external locus of religious control.

Problems arise because many people view their self worth by comparison to others. Thus, if another has a differing view it should be lower than one's own view. As such it is not the appropriate view, and should not be held. Given this people decide that the other view is a threat to their view and must remove it. The more unique an individual believes himself and his views to be the more risk of that individual becoming unstable in the community.

Maybe, but it still doesnt work. Trancendentalism is a Western religious philosophy, it changed a lot of religoin in the US. BOth have east and west have made invaluable contributions to the other, there is no need for this segregation.

Regret
Maybe, but it still doesnt work. Trancendentalism is a Western religious philosophy, it changed a lot of religoin in the US. BOth have east and west have made invaluable contributions to the other, there is no need for this segregation.

It isn't segregation except for in the eyes of the narrow minded. More open minded individuals see the good and the benefit found in other religions. It isn't the all religious individuals that see this segregation, it is the poor ones.

It is a sad individual who does not recognize good where ever it is found.

Transcendentalism originated with the eastern religions. It came into being by a misguided understanding of various eastern religious forms of meditation and the purpose of these meditations. It exists in the western world, but it follows the Eastern religious manner of philosophy, not a Western religious philosophy.

Alliance
You misunderstand me.

All religions have their good points. Its stupid to lop them into categories and make statemtnes like "oh, well thats eastern so it has no value here in the west.

The whole eastern/western thing is arbitrary.

My point with trancednendatlism is that is is very similar to "eastern" religious philosophy, but it is itself a western movement. The Idea os an Islamic state is a very "western" idea, but has great power in the "eastern" nations.

The words "eastern" and "western" have no valid religous application. People hsoudl relaize that religions have global influnences and religious philosophies are gifts to all.

Regret
You misunderstand me.

All religions have their good points. Its stupid to lop them into categories and make statements like "oh, well thats eastern so it has no value here in the west.

The whole eastern/western thing is arbitrary.

My point with trancednendatlism is that is is very similar to "eastern" religious philosophy, but it is itself a western movement. The Idea os an Islamic state is a very "western" idea, but has great power in the "eastern" nations.

The words "eastern" and "western" have no valid religous application. People hsoudl relaize that religions have global influnences and religious philosophies are gifts to all.

Islam is not an eastern religion. Eastern religions are Jains, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, Taoists, Confucianists (whatever their called), Shinto, etc.

Islam is a western religion. Western religions include Zoroastrians, Jews, Muslims and Christians.

"All religions have their good points. Its stupid to lop them into categories and make statements like "oh, well thats eastern so it has no value here in the west."

Wholly agreed.

The categories allow for a better understanding as to the views of a religious person if one knows where his philosophy of religion originates. It also helps with a better understanding as to derivative religions and sects and the relationships that they have. Some might claim it is stupid to lump dogs into categories. I would, because I plain don't care, but then to someone who does it does have meaning. It does not separate, it merely describes.

mahasattva
Originally posted by JaehSkywalker
mahattsava, do you really come from the same place as i do?

and i'm guessing not just Christians.

Yes, MABUHAY!!!! wavey

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.