New Tsunami in Indonesia

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

fini
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060717/ap_on_re_as/indonesia_earthquake

you would think that they would have a warning system up by now.

Soleran
Surf's up blink

OhILuvHP
no kidding

Flamboyant4Life
Dayum

PVS
note to self: never vacation in indonesia

botankus
Oh, come on, PVS, I just found you a weekend getaway travel package for Friday. You can even stop off and see Bardock on your layover if you take the Lufthansa flight:

PVS
what a bargain messed

Morgoths_Wrath
they said they have set up a warning system, but Java apparently wasn't apart of it roll eyes (sarcastic)

go figure

WrathfulDwarf
I was watching a video of the 2004 Tsunami film on youtube. It's just sooo friggin powerful. I can't see how can anyone outrun millions of gallons of sea water. It's like an Avalanche on turbo speed.

Found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4lpIaSraPE&search=Tsunami

fini
they were lucky that it was a much smaller one, well compared to the Dec 26th one, but Come on, water started receeding bout 30 mins before the wave hit, People should know that warning sign BY NOW.

frigging tribal people in the Andaman Islands knew something was up when the water started going out for the 2004 dec 26th tsunami, and they fled to safety( unlike the thousands of poor souls that didn't).People just dont use common sence any more

Magee
shame really.

allofyousuckkk
i always imagine a tsunami like the rogue wave from poseidon,,,,,,,it would be cooler if it were like that, but ti looks like white foam...which sux

fini
BUt thats what a tsunami is actually like.

Its not a big perfectly formed wave. Waves come in and then go back out in about the same time. As you saw in the video, the water keeps on coming and coming, thats the bad part about it.

Oh my I have a video I download of the water rushing through the streets of Banda Aceh, The water must have been at least 6-8 ft deep and it was black and moving really really fast. Only houses above that could have been seen. Seeing something like that right outside of ur window and feeling the force of the water shaking the house you are in must be absolutely terrifying.

tabby999
the indonesian governments detection system picked it up hours before it hit but they dont have a way to let the people know, they dont have speakers up to warn people, they dont have emergancy radio, they just had to watch it happen. and even if they had warned all the people living in the beach areas they probably wouldn't have had a). time to exacuate or b). anywhere to evacuate too. i guess this is large ammounts of karma slapping indonesia a few times

fini
The water only went inland at maximum for 500 m. People saw the water receed and stuff, they should know that warning sign by now. WAter starts going out and goes out much further than normal, turn and run the other direction, or at least get to somewhere higher.

jaden101
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
i always imagine a tsunami like the rogue wave from poseidon,,,,,,,it would be cooler if it were like that, but ti looks like white foam...which sux

you mean like this

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=6647674620768389045&q=big+wave

a tsunami works differently from a normal wave because a normal wave goes up at the front and then the sea level returns to normal at the back...a tsunami increases in height at the front and the sea level is maintained at this high level for miles behind the front of the wave...and thats why it reaches so far inland and causes so much destruction

musicislife
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I was watching a video of the 2004 Tsunami film on youtube. It's just sooo friggin powerful. I can't see how can anyone outrun millions of gallons of sea water. It's like an Avalanche on turbo speed.

Found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4lpIaSraPE&search=Tsunami
That video was intense and was a really powerful view of the tsunami, thanks for posting it.

Julie
it's so sad to hear of more and more natural disasters.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.