Oh, what a surprise ... no charges for Menezes officers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deano
Police officers shot this innocent man seven times in the head while others held him down and no-one is going to be charged for this blatant murder.

The fascist state: It's official

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5186050.stm

what are your opinions on this

PVS
****ed up messed what more is there to say?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PVS
****ed up messed what more is there to say?

scared I wouldn't say anything, they might put a bullet in your head. eek!

Deano
the verdict didnt surprise me at all though somehow.

witnesses say he saw the officers and had a look of terror in his eyes. he ran, but he had no bombs so why was he so afraid?.

Alpha Centauri
The part that disturbs me the most is the part where they had him down on the floor and still decided to kill him. Made all the worse by the fact that they shot him seven times.

-AC

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Deano
the verdict didnt surprise me at all though somehow.

witnesses say he saw the officers and had a look of terror in his eyes. he ran, but he had no bombs so why was he so afraid?.

He thought someone would put a bullet in his head, and he was right. eek! Victim mentality.

PVS
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
The part that disturbs me the most is the part where they had him down on the floor and still decided to kill him. Made all the worse by the fact that they shot him seven times.

-AC

thats it? people are killed in far worse ways all the time, every day. what disturbs me is the u.k. collectively cramming their heads up their own asses and letting them off...and they are STILL ON THE BEAT messed thats what i find most disturbing.

Deano
he obviously knew something he wasnt meant to. he went to flee the city but they caught up with him and blew him away. and they used the exuse they thought he had a bomb. they said he was wearing a think jacket but that turned out to be a lie....as usual.

theres definetly more to this but as usual the truth will probably never be known

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by PVS
thats it? people are killed in far worse ways all the time, every day. what disturbs me is the u.k. collectively cramming their heads up their own asses and letting them off...and they are STILL ON THE BEAT messed thats what i find most disturbing.

Yeah I know, I'm not saying it's better or worse, I'm saying that it's odd.

-AC

Capt_Fantastic
But at what price?

Ushgarak
Try taking a look at the law and you will see why there was a decision not to prosecute.

Legal experts are in agreement here- no case would have any chance of meeting the required standards to prosecute an individual person. You would have to prove it was gross negligence, and in turn for which you would have to prove it was malicious, which you could never, ever do.

So instead the legal action is being taken against the Police as a whole for allowing a situation in which such a mistake could be made. It is hardly fair to blame the officers in the ground who were told a. it is a suicide bomber and b. take him out. They did their jobs 100%.

"The part that disturbs me the most is the part where they had him down on the floor and still decided to kill him. Made all the worse by the fact that they shot him seven times."

Those are the guidelines for dealing with suicide bombers. Any hesitation with the genuine article there and then you are dead, your colleagues are dead and a load of the public is dead.

The error is in the identification, NOT the methods. Those methods are essential if it ever is the real deal.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Ushgarak
The error is in the identification, NOT the methods. Those methods are essential if it ever is the real deal.

I understand that, but what methods did they use to ID the guy? What aspect of his behavior was representative?

Ushgarak
It was a cock up from the surveillance area. They had a good lead that a dangerous person was inside the building concerned but a string of mistakes led to Jean Charles being wrongly fingered when he left it. It was a terrible run of bad luck, but it was also a cock-up in an area where cock-ups should not be allowed and that is why legal action is being taken against the police.

Ushgarak
he obviously knew something he wasnt meant to. he went to flee the city but they caught up with him and blew him away. and they used the exuse they thought he had a bomb. they said he was wearing a think jacket but that turned out to be a lie....as usual.

theres definetly more to this but as usual the truth will probably never be known

"They", of course, was the public. It was witnesses who made that claim, in error.

Capt_Fantastic
But, did he have a back pack or resist in some way, after they fingered him? It just seems like seven shots to the head is a bit much. I can't really comment on this since this link is the first I've heard of it. And was there an actual dangerous person there that they missed?

Ushgarak
Those shots to the head are simply what you do to a suicide bomber, and it was under thoser guidelines that those tailing him were ordered to stop him at all costs. That is simple faith in your superior officers, which is as essential in the police as it is in the army. Besides, wearing a backpack is hardly a relevant issue; suicide bombers can easily look innocuous.

And whether the actual suspect was missed or not is not known- the surveillance operation os not something open to public knowledge, of course. Though I would imagine any terrorist living there would be pretty silly not to work out he was being watched after all that.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Ushgarak

First off, they allegedly had him pinned down and were in no apparant danger, since he couldn't set off a bomb that way anyway. This is why I was curious as to why they shot him in the first place.

Second, if you are saying the killing was necessary or can be, then fine, but seven times in the head is not. Body, maybe. Unless the man was a zombie or The Terminator (You can't kill him), then I will wait here while you explain why seven head shots were entirely necessary, because here I am thinking that one would suffice.

-AC

autumn dreams
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

-AC

Supposedly this was to prevent his fingers from moving on the trigger of his imaginary gun.

Those cops should be held accountable. Not only did they kill an innocent man, they tried to cover it up.

Alliance
I didnt even hear of this in the US. I think its pretty outrageous.

Lady_Depp
They shud have got their facts right before assuming he was a terrorist.. theyve taken an innocent persons life becoz of their own mistake.. and nothings gettin done about it thts why people are angry and upset.. fair enuff the officers were doin their job but the people above them shud have been 100% sure tht he was the terrorist

Deano
just dont run in the subway. dont wear a backpack, and a thick coat.

just warning to everyone.

eggmayo
From what I heard, he was merely running away from UNDERCOVER officers.

Dunno about everyone else, but I'd run if random men kept accosting me.

Unfortunately, we're never gonna know what they said to him, or what really happened.. I doubt the security cams have been released.

jaden101
and therin lies the problem...

Bardock42
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
bullet in your head.

This time the bullet cold rocked ya
A yellow ribbon instead of a swastika
Nothin' proper about ya propaganda
Fools follow the rules when the set commands ya
They said it was blue
When the boold was red
That's is how you got a bullet blasted through your head

Blasted through your head
Blasted through your head

I give a shout out to the living dead
Who stood and watched at the feds cold centralized
So serene on the screen
You was mesmerized
Cellular phones soundin' a death tone
Corporations cold
Turn ya to stone before you realize

They load the clip in omnicolor
They pack the 9, they fire it at prime time
Sleeping gas, every home was like Alcatraz
And mutha ****as lost their minds

Just victims of the in-house drive-by
They say jump, you say how high

They load the clip in omnicolor
They pack the 9, they fire it at prime time
Sleeping gas, every home was like Alcatraz
And mutha ****as lost their minds

No escape from the mass mind rape
Play it again jack and then rewind the tape
Play it again and again and again
Until ya mind is locked in
Believin' all the lies that they are tellin' ya
Buying all the products that they are selling ya
They say jump
Ya say how high
Ya brain dead
Ya gotta ****in' bullet in your head

Just victims of the in-house drive-by
They say jump, you say how high

Ya standin' in line
Believin' the lies
Ya bowin' down to the flag
Ya got a ****in' bullet in ya head

Julie
there might be more to this story than we're being told....media often skews things to suit their purposes....besides no one is always innocent....

autumn dreams
Originally posted by Lady_Depp
They shud have got their facts right before assuming he was a terrorist.. theyve taken an innocent persons life becoz of their own mistake.. and nothings gettin done about it thts why people are angry and upset.. fair enuff the officers were doin their job but the people above them shud have been 100% sure tht he was the terrorist

I agree, the cops rushed into it because they were panicked, which is really no excuse.

The_Fury
None of it surprises me.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Police officers shot this innocent man seven times in the head while others held him down and no-one is going to be charged for this blatant murder.

The fascist state: It's official

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5186050.stm

what are your opinions on this

Doesn't show Britain as a Fascist state, it just shows the police realise that if their armed officers are going to act confidently and properly they have to be protected, even when they make mistakes.

Deano
by shooting some civillian 7 times in the head? then not getting charged for it?

snoochyboochies
There is no basis for prosecution of any kind against the officers. Anyone with any idea about law would know that. As for slagging off the officers for how many times they shot him, they were trying to kill him thats why.

To say that britain is a facist state is ludicrous. The police have had their powers slowly stripped slowly over the years but the only powers that get publicised are terrorism powers which can only be used specifically. when the police do catch the bad guys, which is more often than you think, the courts and the pathetic justice system and whore like lawyers set them free again. Not to mention the politicans who let them free because they don't want to spend money on building more prisons to lock them up!!!

People who live in britain dont realise quite how soft their police are compared to most countires, especially countries with as much crime!

anyway, I diagress. If menezes was a suicide bomber, the officers wuold be heroes. And guess what, they'd have made their judgement based on exactly the same information and circumstances. They have the guts to put themselves in that situation, to protect the public and to protect other police officers, to ensure that the rest of them in Britain dont have to carry guns and thus scare the public more.

But hey. The police in the UK are all fascists. If so, move somewhere else!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.