Will Eisner's 'The Spirit' - to be made by Frank Miller!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
Read this...

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20060719/115331503300.html

Miller has always been a big fan of Eisner's work (and vice versa.)

roughrider
Please don't tell me people haven't heard of Will Eisner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Eisner

WrathfulDwarf
It's a sad time indeed in the world of Comic book movies. You would get more reponses if you put on the title: "OMG!!!! Marvel Comics Spider Man Movie will have so many villains LOLOLOLOL"

Anyways, yes I heard of it and I was at the The Spirit Movie panel at Comic Con. I was thrill to hear Miller was working on it. This explains why All Star Batman and Robin series have been taking like forever to be released. Looking forward to this film.

Tptmanno1
I heard this at Comic-Con when Frank Miller was discussing his vision for the film.
Now I don't read comic books, I can never really get into them, but this looks very interesting and should be good.

Grimm22
Pray to god there isnt a "Im the goddamn Spirit" in it no expression

Endrict Nuul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1F-97xJ33E

http://www.superherohype.com/news/spiritnews.php?id=7094

The trailer looks cool.

roughrider
Originally posted by Grimm22
Pray to god there isnt a "Im the goddamn Spirit" in it no expression

Eisner will rise from his grave and cuff him behind the ear. evil face

"I don't care what you do with the 'goddamn Batman'! Don't bungle my character, or else; trust me, I got some pull up here." wink

Kazenji
The new trailer for it

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/new-disappointing-trailer-for-the-spirit-gets-leaked.php

nothing special

ragesRemorse
i'll see it for sure, but if i never did it wouldn't bother me.

ScarletSpeed
I think it looks good, I love Frank Miller's style

people say he's a one trick pony but I just see it as his own style of art,

it's amazing.

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by Kazenji
The new trailer for it

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/new-disappointing-trailer-for-the-spirit-gets-leaked.php

nothing special

anyone know the name of the song in this trailer?stick out tongue

Kazenji
Frank millers a hypocrite

After 10 years of him saying Hollywood doesn't respect his work and now he has gone and taken one of Comics most historical characters and made it a Frank Miller style thing.

roughrider
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
anyone know the name of the song in this trailer?stick out tongue

I know for the first teaser, they used music cues from THE UNTOUCHABLES film.

ScarletSpeed
I found the song

Hybrid - Choke

tom_servo
Yep. I will see this movie. That reminds me, I need to get the graphic novel of this series too.

roughrider
Frank millers a hypocrite

After 10 years of him saying Hollywood doesn't respect his work and now he has gone and taken one of Comics most historical characters and made it a Frank Miller style thing.

He does make it look like something he would draw. If he wants to continue making films, Miller is going to have to get out of the CGI studio and show he can use a location, go for some visual realism like in the new Batman series.

WrathfulDwarf
Well, time for the Spirit to debut...

I'm gonna go see it.

Anti-Monitor
Originally posted by roughrider
Please don't tell me people haven't heard of Will Eisner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Eisner

No but whos Frank Miller though?

Kazenji
And who's this Stan Lee that people keep going on about ?

BruceSkywalker
I saw this last week..

pretty good

Kazenji
I've only heard about all the bad reviews from this.

Doctor-Alvis
I saw a commercial for it for the first time like a week ago. It looked neat but I had little interest in seeing it.

BruceSkywalker
I've only heard about all the bad reviews from this.

Most of the scenes are good, but not all

SnakeEyes
Eh, a couple weeks ago, I had some sort of interest seeing this in theaters. Sicne then, my interest has waned; I think I'll wait until DVD. Like Kazenji, I've heard nothing but bad things about this movie.

ragesRemorse
As much as i like the Spirit it's not a story i would like to see adapted into a movie. I also hate these types of movie's that are filmed almost entirely infront of a bluescreen. I hate the feeling that even though the movie i am watching spans across numerous locations i am left feeling as though i've never left the studio. Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow is the most guilty of this. That movie has some of the most nauseating effects i've ever seen. I only bring this up because The Spirit, like Sin City and 300 utilizes that same technique of filmmaking. Although, those movie's movies at least used several partial sets.

Even though this style has worked for Miller in his last two outings. At some point it just comes off as lazy to me. I really think that the Spirits art design is going to hurt the audience attraction. I know that the art direction has hurt the movie's appeal for myself and friends.

It also worries me that Frank Miller has taken full control behind the camera for this one as well as a heavy hand in the editing department. Of course, Miller knows best how the actors should act in order to bring his characters to life but leave the technical aspect to professionals. I'll definitely be seeing this movie, eventually, and im sure it will turn out fine but with another sin city on the way i am already feeling an over saturation of this style of filmmaking and art direction. Redundancy is going to hurt Mr Millers Film career if he isn't careful.

WrathfulDwarf
So-so...film.

Wait for the DVD.

Kazenji
Imo Frank should just leave the black and white look for Sin City not every film he''s gonna decide to direct.

Grimm22
I saw The Spirit last night and honestly I think people are giving it a bad rap.

If you go into the movie with an open mind, you'll have alot of fun with it. One thing that Miller has definitly captured from the original comics is the fun.

Sure the scenery is dark and is very similar to Sin City, but thats just Frank Miller's style, and if you can get past that you'll find a good movie experience.

It's no Dark Knight, but it's definitely entertaining, and last I checked that was the main point of movies, to entertain.

Darth Martin
Well it's definitely at the bottom of my list this year for superhero films tied with The Icredible Hulk. The movie isn't totally bad though. It's no Sin City or definitely no 300. It has it's scenes most notably Eva Mendes nude and SLJ in nazi suit. I say wait for the rental. I'd give it a 6/10.

roughrider
While I was intially enthused about Miller doing this project - to honour his friend & mentor Will Eisner - I now feel the box office faliure is deserved. Miller has to show he can do more than Sin City-type filmmaking if he wants to have a future in movies. I wish he had gotten out of the digital backlot studio & shot this on location in Brooklyn or Manhattan.
I credit Miller for being much story realism to comics in the 1980's, but now he has gone too far out on a limb into impressionism & pulp; the medium is now articficial in his hands. Because in the same year, we see The Dark Knight set in as real a world as the one we're in, and it's a worldwide sensation.

Smasandian
I know its a bit late, but the Blu-Ray came out and I must say, one of the worst movies this year for me.

What was missing was Robert Rodriguez. The acting was bad, the characterization was bad and it was plain ridiculous. I understand they were going for that but with the art style, which cried out for a film noir atmosphere (aka Sin City), it came away as some crappy Dick Tracy remake. What I hate about movies is movies trying to be something that they are not.

Just awful, just awful. It sucked. Frank Miller should stick with comic books because even though its was his style, you still need to be able to direct actors, and be able to give pace to the movie.

The Nuul
Finally saw this and it was horrible. Cheesy script and music. Also the Mendez nude scene sucked, she was to far in the background and blurry.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Smasandian
Frank Miller should stick with comic books

Have you read any of his comics lately? The guy should just **** off and die. He seems to have completely lost it.

roughrider
Originally posted by Kovacs86
Have you read any of his comics lately? The guy should just **** off and die. He seems to have completely lost it.

He has lost it. And his defense against any criticism he gets is to say "I'm pushing boundaries, I don't expect critics to understand." Well, maybe box office failure + derision is something he can understand.

Smasandian
The funny thing is that he isnt pushing boundaries. Sin City pushed boundaries on the movie front and it was fantastic.

The reason?

Not Frank Miller directing it, but having a good director doing it like Robert Rodriguez.

This movie reminded me of Sin City and in a bad way. Kinda like, "I want to watch Sin City instead of this shit".

What turned me off was the first scence between the two characters. It was just awful. It tried to be campy, but the look of the movie did not compare well.

The Nuul
The first big fight scene was very cheesy, after that that set my tone for the movie and I watched it on FF.

Kovacs86
Speaking of declining careers... what is Sam Jackson doing? He is a terrific actor (great in Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, A Time to Kill etc.) but his choice in films of late has been woeful. I want to see him in great films which showcase his talents, not relying solely upon them. The man's just too good to be appearing in shit like The Spirit, the new Star Wars films, Snakes on a Plane, etc.

Smasandian
It pays.

And sometimes when you sign up for a movie, you don't know how it's going to turn out.

Also, I know with Snakes on a Plane, he wanted to do something stupid.

WO Polaski
i think that sam j is at the point in his career where he doesnt really care about furthering his career. hes got loads of money, loads of fame, loads of pretty much anything he wants. at this point i think he just wants to settle down and enjoy himself. And look at his roles, theyre fun. snakes on a plane? fun. the spirit? fun. star wars? jedi= fun.

look at john travolta. he did his share of movies, now hes a fat women in hair spray. actors like to just take it easy sometimes.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by WO Polaski
i think that sam j is at the point in his career where he doesnt really care about furthering his career. hes got loads of money, loads of fame, loads of pretty much anything he wants. at this point i think he just wants to settle down and enjoy himself. And look at his roles, theyre fun. snakes on a plane? fun. the spirit? fun. star wars? jedi= fun.

look at john travolta. he did his share of movies, now hes a fat women in hair spray. actors like to just take it easy sometimes.

That's fair enough. Doesn't stop me being annoyed that his talent is completely wasted. And how could making Pulp Fiction not be fun. Tarantino had better write something for that guy ****ing soon!

Kazenji
Originally posted by Smasandian
and I must say, one of the worst movies this year for me.

Even tho it did come out last year....

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Grimm22
I saw The Spirit last night and honestly I think people are giving it a bad rap.

No. The crap people are giving it is well deserved.

The Nuul
This movie is worst than Catwoman and DD.

The Nuul
Originally posted by Kovacs86
Speaking of declining careers... what is Sam Jackson doing? He is a terrific actor (great in Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, A Time to Kill etc.) but his choice in films of late has been woeful. I want to see him in great films which showcase his talents, not relying solely upon them. The man's just too good to be appearing in shit like The Spirit, the new Star Wars films, Snakes on a Plane, etc.

Lake View Terrace, IM 2 and more....

Kovacs86
I've heard Lakeview Terrace was good, yeah. I'd like to see that. I do hope Jackson does some more roles like that, and not just endless cameos in Marvel films now, though I doubt he'll ever complete all 9 films he's contracted to do.

Smasandian
I'm in the opinion that Marvel should hold off on any comic books movies.

Or start doing what DC is doing.

I must admit though, Batman is such a iconic character with a very interesting story and setting that it leads well for a movie while alot of Marvel comics do not. This is strictly my opinion and I do like Marvel characters especially X-Men.

jinzin
I actually liked this movie.

i was expecting another nonsensical melodrama and instead got an over-the-top joy ride. I don't see what's so bad about this film. confused

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.