Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
I just finished reading this book last night and I liked it quite a bit. I definitely recommend it to any SW fan who wants to know more about the Purge, Vader's thoughts, Palpatine's thoughts/motivations and so forth. It made for a good read.

Personally, I look at Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith, and Dark Lord as a trilogy by itself. And it was a damn good one.

Discuss.

smokin'

Lightsnake
Wait;ll Luceno's next book.....Plagueis ahoy

GM Nebaris

Archangelysses
I admit to really enjoying the book myself.

The thoughts of Darth Vader now freshly in the suit were very interesting to read. As well as the machinations of Sidious.

Roan Shryne would have to be one of the more interesting solo book Jedi's that I have read.

SnakeEyes
Yeah, I thought that Vader was interesting to read about so soon after ROTS, because he still thought like Anakin; you could see him slowly lose more and more of what Anakin was and become more Vader-ish.

I also liked how Tarkin and Chewbacca were both in the book. That was neat little surprise.

And yeah, Shryne was cool.

Archangelysses
Wonder if we will find out what happened to Starstone

jollyjim311
It's probably better if we don't find out. Just leave the mystery...

Anyway, immediately following ROTS when Vader was just complaining the whole time was interesting, but kind of pained me to read. The whole time I was thinking "This is not Vader." As the book went on, though, as a Vader fan, I really liked it more and more.

Did anyone else notice how their were lots of little comparisons and such between the movies and the book. Like when he was fighting the Master at the end, and, he did basically the same thing he did to Luke. Would it be reading too far into the scenario to think that Luke was on the level of that Jedi Master? Also, how it said that one day Vader and Sidious would be equals, and that with the help of an apprentice, he could defeat Sidious. Would it be too much of a stretch to say that Vader was very close to Sidious' level during the time of ESB when he tried to recruit Luke?

One thing I really liked was the theory that Vader, as a Sith, was influencing Palpatine the whole time during the Clone Wars. That made me laugh, kind of, out of irony.

Archangelysses
Actually, Jolly, I think that you have hit the proverbial nail on the head with that point.

Though I did like the way that Shryne escaped the purge so to speak. Shryne died more from his wounds (involving long distance falling) than he did from Vader himself.

Would still like to know where Starstone went.

jollyjim311
There was another reference like that, too, but I can't remember it, I lent it to my cousin...

I also liked this line from the book(not an exact quote, because I don't have the book): "Sidious knew better than to sleep."

During the PT he probably did all his Sith Mumbo-Jumbo at night, when decent people were sleeping.

DarthLazious
I love that book.

It is my new EU book along with Outbound Flight.

SnakeEyes
Does anyone know when Outbound Flight comes out in paperback?

DarthLazious
This fall I think.

jollyjim311
Anyone have anything more to offer on my theories? I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks Archangelyess for your insight on them.

Swirly Girl
I think that your theories underly a Christ-like euphemism which has never been applied to any published writings in the world. If one were to say "pass the salt", I would be presumed to be insane.

OCTOPUS!

GM Nebaris
Burn!!

Captain REX
I don't get it. no expression

Shryne was a neat Jedi. They had a picture of him in one of the Jedi articles in Insider.

http://starwars.wikia.com/images/e/ec/Shryne.JPG

jollyjim311

I don't have any salt...

Lord Saboteur
Originally posted by jollyjim311

I don't have any salt... And that's why you fail. no expression

Darth Callous
Originally posted by Archangelysses

The thoughts of Darth Vader now freshly in the suit were very interesting to read. As well as the machinations of Sidious.

thumb up

That was pretty tyte! Especially when describes how the med-droids especially screwed him whent it came to his respiratory needs.

DarthLazious
I can't wait to see what other books come out that fill in the gaps of ROTS and ANH.

FistOfThe North
A good read, I'd have to say. I loved how Sidious reprimanded Vader, earlier in the book before the invasion of Kashyykk. The revelations that confrontation unveiled, eh? I made me think. "whoa, so Vader isn't scared of Sidious."

Archangelysses
I believe it to be one of the tales comics, or possibly even one of the Clone Wars comics, but there was one of palpatine practising -and this is only what it appeared to be to me, I could be wrong - battle meditation. Influencing the war and creating a much larger darkness in the force that was making it harder and harder for the Jedi.

Even Mace Windu said in AOTC "Our ability to use the force has diminished".

So yes, Jolly, Palpatine probably did a lot of Sith stuff whilst no one else was around. Plus, he had to keep his knowledge of the force and his ability to use it secret. Not good if Jedi got wind of it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.