Another dumb marketing move by Sony...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cerberus
http://ps2.gamespy.com/articles/716/716879p1.html

Thoughts on this? I thought the squirrels were pretty stupid but compared to THIS? no

Blaxican Hydra
Theirs more dumb stuff that their doing.

You know that Sony is thinking of putting some stuff in each PS3 CD so that you never rent, borrow, or buy used games? Once you play the CD in your PS3, it can only work on that one.

Cerberus
Originally posted by Blaxican Hydra

You know that Sony is thinking of putting some stuff in each PS3 CD so that you never rent, borrow, or buy used games? Once you play the CD in your PS3, it can only work on that one.

Good god! For real? Is this a reliable source? sad

Lana
It's been rumored for a loooooooooong time.

Blaxican Hydra
Originally posted by Cerberus
Good god! For real? Is this a reliable source? sad

I read it in my local newspaper. And it's not a rumor anymore, I guess. Sony actually DOES have the technoligy, and their considering doign it.

I think that if they do it though their sales are gonna get screwed.

Um...I'll check SFchronicle.com and see if theirs a link to the article.

Cerberus
Originally posted by Lana
It's been rumored for a loooooooooong time.

If its true im gonna take off my promise ring that Sony gave me and get a 360...or maybe a Wii big grin

Lana
I read it in my local newspaper. And it's not a rumor anymore, I guess. Sony actually DOES have the technoligy, and their considering doign it.

I think that if they do it though their sales are gonna get screwed.

Um...I'll check SFchronicle.com and see if theirs a link to the article.

I don't think they care about their sales, to be honest. They certainly are acting like it, between how much the games and system will cost, and then this.

If its true im gonna take off my promise ring that Sony gave me and get a 360...or maybe a Wii big grin

Meh, I no longer plan on getting a PS3.

crazy_shadow
wow racial? that's hilarious, i looked at the picture and was reading the article, i didn't see anything racial untill it mentioned people being offended. the only reason they find it racist is because they are still afraid of racist people or are a little racist theirselves.

wow, that's going to lose about 2 million fans

Blaxican Hydra
Originally posted by Lana
I don't think they care about their sales, to be honest. They certainly are acting like it, between how much the games and system will cost, and then this.

I dont think they realize that once this actually goes super public no ones gonna even BUY the console itself except for the hardcore Sony fans.

El_NINO
SONY is acting very ignorant and are only gearing their system to the hardcore fans. I for one cant wait when the system launches because I am eager to see if this will actually sell.

crazy_shadow
Legaia 3 had better not come on PS3 or imma KILLLLLLLL

General Kaliero
While plenty of people in the States can certainly take offense to the campaign, remember that it's their European campaign. There aren't a few hundred years of slavery-racist history that people pretend they'd rather forget while bringing it up every chance they get over there.

Frankly, the whole controversy is a bit silly if you ask me. If the people up in arms over this actually wanted to make everyone forget about those days, why are they making a big issue over it?

Plus, if both women were white and one was wearing white clothes and one black, there'd be no issue. If the campaign was in the reverse, and the black woman "dominating" the white, there'd be no issue, either.

Don't get me wrong, I don't approve of slavery, but if people actually wanted to move on from those times, the simplest course of action would be to move on.

El_NINO
Originally posted by General Kaliero
While plenty of people in the States can certainly take offense to the campaign, remember that it's their European campaign. There aren't a few hundred years of slavery-racist history that people pretend they'd rather forget while bringing it up every chance they get over there.

Frankly, the whole controversy is a bit silly if you ask me. If the people up in arms over this actually wanted to make everyone forget about those days, why are they making a big issue over it?

Plus, if both women were white and one was wearing white clothes and one black, there'd be no issue. If the campaign was in the reverse, and the black woman "dominating" the white, there'd be no issue, either.

Don't get me wrong, I don't approve of slavery, but if people actually wanted to move on from those times, the simplest course of action would be to move on.

Slavery... What the f**k? I thought we were discussing the PS3???

crazy_shadow
Originally posted by El_NINO
Slavery... What the f**k? I thought we were discussing the PS3???

the main reason for this thread is because of the link the first post was given. read it, look at the picture, then you'll understand.

Blaxican Hydra
Originally posted by General Kaliero

What the hell are you talking about? Their WAS an era of slavery in Europe. Especially in Portugal/Spain.

crazy_shadow
What the hell are you talking about? Their WAS an era of slavery in Europe. Especially in Portugal/Spain.

hell there's probably been slavery everywhre on this planet.

El_NINO
Originally posted by crazy_shadow
the main reason for this thread is because of the link the first post was given. read it, look at the picture, then you'll understand.

The only thing I see in the add is that we will soon see a white version of the PSP. Just another example of the media blowing things out of proportion.

crazy_shadow
The only thing I see in the add is that we will soon see a white version of the PSP. Just another example of the media blowing things out of proportion.

omg, you didn't read all of it. it's explaining how people are offended by the ad in thinking it is racial

darth_royke
whats wrong with that advertising campaign? if it was a black person in the white persons situation no-one would kick off about it. the thing for me with racism and rights is that if the black person is in teh uncompromising position, its wrong. other way round? who cares. equal rights? it shouldnt matter who or what is on the picture, they're humans. the models themselves had no problem with it so why should we?

El_NINO
omg, you didn't read all of it. it's explaining how people are offended by the ad in thinking it is racial

If the ad said 'WHITE POWER' then I would call that racist but it says 'Playstation portable white is comming' so scratch the slogan out. Second I see to people one is black and the other white, when I saw the ad the term 'racist' never came to mind and still doesnt after reading the article 3 times already. Like I said, only the media would give it a bad image.

H. S. 6
Well, I can see where the NAACP is coming from, in the very least. While I think they're blowing it way out of proportion, they do have a valid point. erm

However, I also agree with the posters on here. If the roles were reversed, nothing would be said about it.

Sony's trying to create controversy, simple as that.

crazy_shadow
If the ad said 'WHITE POWER' then I would call that racist but it says 'Playstation portable white is comming' so scratch the slogan out. Second I see to people one is black and the other white, when I saw the ad the term 'racist' never came to mind and still doesnt after reading the article 3 times already. Like I said, only the media would give it a bad image.

""""The same article also includes a statement from California Assembly Speaker Leland Yee, saying, "I am deeply disappointed in Sony's senseless decision to publish this racially-charged advertisement. I can't begin to determine Sony's motivation but I believe this marketing strategy is unnecessary and is clearly offensive to many in our community." Yee is best known for his attempts to push through laws against violent video games in California.""""

that is what this is about, how did the term "racist" never come to mind?? it says the word right there, you didn't read it correctly if you read it 3 times.

Cerberus
http://ps2media.gamespy.com/ps2/image/article/716/716879/psp-white-ad-stirs-naacp-20060706053716138.jpg

How could anyone at Sony NOT think there is something wrong with this picture? I mean im white and I DO live in the southern half of the US but I dont think like that. It kinda makes me sad that Sony gave their approval on this no

H. S. 6
http://ps2media.gamespy.com/ps2/image/article/716/716879/psp-white-ad-stirs-naacp-20060706053716138.jpg

How could anyone at Sony NOT think there is something wrong with this picture? I mean im white and I DO live in the southern half of the US but I dont think like that. It kinda makes me sad that Sony gave their approval on this no

I feel the same way.

I sincerely think that higher-ups in Sony have all become Tom Cruise disciples.

Cerberus
Originally posted by H. S. 6
I sincerely think that higher-ups in Sony have all become Tom Cruise disciples.

laughing out loud I wonder if my PS2 is transmitting my personal data to Tom Cruise's mothership, lol

SaTsuJiN

Thoughts on this? I thought the squirrels were pretty stupid but compared to THIS? no

its kinda hilarious that only america took offense to it...

I dunno.. I dont get all flustered by advertisements... I guess the way its presented could have been changed...

like a warrior in black vs a warrior in white or something?.. /shrug

or perhaps if the black models body language wasnt as submissive (although that would throw away the whole 'watch out cuz ceramic psp is coming' slogan)...

there are lots of ways to represent the idea of a new color psp arriving... just dont buy their product if you dont support their mindset.. thats really the only way you can punish them

El_NINO
""""The same article also includes a statement from California Assembly Speaker Leland Yee, saying, "I am deeply disappointed in Sony's senseless decision to publish this racially-charged advertisement. I can't begin to determine Sony's motivation but I believe this marketing strategy is unnecessary and is clearly offensive to many in our community." Yee is best known for his attempts to push through laws against violent video games in California.""""

that is what this is about, how did the term "racist" never come to mind?? it says the word right there, you didn't read it correctly if you read it 3 times.

Dude seriously, are you reading what Im saying or you just cant accept that I dont find it racist? What Yee said is not the same opinion as mine and you also need to stop saying 'I didnt read it' because your getting nowhere with that excuse.

PVS
sony should crash and burn...and they will.

StinkFist462
only america would find this offensive...

Blaxican Hydra
No... I know several english people on other forums, and they find it offensive as well.

Quincy Archer
I feel its got serious controversy behind it. It doesn't take a fanboy to realize that Sony's marketing move has a racism "ambience."

This is the kind of stuff that makes the government hate video games.

Cerberus
Originally posted by Quincy Archer

I agree, yet this is only ONE of the reasons the gov't hates videogames. They don't like them because they can't control them. All they can do is make the sellers check ID to make sure the buyer is the required age. I kinda support this. I think you shouldn't let a ten year go out and buy DOOM 3 or GTA because I have seen in the news(too many times might I add) where the investigators believe this is the reason the kid became violent. Im not hardcore on this policy, some kids are completely fine with violent games and dont take them into reality at all. It just worries me that someother(Yes, I am 16 also, but a good driver)16 year old who just got their license takes to the streets the same time I do is out with his friends driving like Burnout trying to get a high score...

Another reason they pick on videogames is just to get reelected by the parents who advocate no violence in games. Parents hear them rant on and on about the violence(Sometimes out of context, like a brief cutscene)and think, "Now he/she has the plan! Let's vote for them hunny!" Example? Liberman. The voice of satan when it comes to bashng video games. He just doesn't get it because he probably has no "Gaming age" kids or grandkids. Either that, or he somehow got that "gaming is bad" at a VERY young age...

I guess no matter how you slice it, videogames are gonna be picked on becuase of allegedy related crimes or suicides. Alas, but I hope that one day gamers of all ages can lift up their middle fingers to the gov't saying "HAHA! I WTFpwned U!!1!"

Thank you, and good night. bye

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Quincy Archer
I feel its got serious controversy behind it. It doesn't take a fanboy to realize that Sony's marketing move has a racism "ambience."

its interesting you should say that.. because contrary to this idea... sony seems to be pushing its system out with more RnB and hip-hop titles , as opposed to the usual dragon slaying and god killing...

how many RnB and hip hop titles can you find on gamecube and xbox?... I dont think nearly as much as ps2

Arahan
I am from Germany and i also think this is offensive.
I also wouldnt like it if the roles were changed.
You shouldnt make spots with such things.

It just creats anger and WTF feelings. There are many other ways to introduce a new color for the PSP.

Cerberus
Originally posted by Arahan
It just creats anger and WTF feelings. There are many other ways to introduce a new color for the PSP.

Well said thumb up

Tex

It's controversial, sexy, stylish and buzz worthy.
Very successful.

Tha C-Master
I agree, yet this is only ONE of the reasons the gov't hates videogames. They don't like them because they can't control them. All they can do is make the sellers check ID to make sure the buyer is the required age. I kinda support this. I think you shouldn't let a ten year go out and buy DOOM 3 or GTA because I have seen in the news(too many times might I add) where the investigators believe this is the reason the kid became violent. Im not hardcore on this policy, some kids are completely fine with violent games and dont take them into reality at all. It just worries me that someother(Yes, I am 16 also, but a good driver)16 year old who just got their license takes to the streets the same time I do is out with his friends driving like Burnout trying to get a high score...

Another reason they pick on videogames is just to get reelected by the parents who advocate no violence in games. Parents hear them rant on and on about the violence(Sometimes out of context, like a brief cutscene)and think, "Now he/she has the plan! Let's vote for them hunny!" Example? Liberman. The voice of satan when it comes to bashng video games. He just doesn't get it because he probably has no "Gaming age" kids or grandkids. Either that, or he somehow got that "gaming is bad" at a VERY young age...

I guess no matter how you slice it, videogames are gonna be picked on becuase of allegedy related crimes or suicides. Alas, but I hope that one day gamers of all ages can lift up their middle fingers to the gov't saying "HAHA! I WTFpwned U!!1!"

Thank you, and good night. bye Games are picked on simply because they're aimed at children, but now that more adults are playing them anyways, the cry is kinda being diminished.

BackFire
Personally I think creating that ad is the best decision Sony's made in sometime. I think the ad is genius, as has been proven by the ridiculous amount of press it's gotten. As they say, there's no such thing as bad press, or whatever.

The people who are branding the ad as 'racist' are just being overly sensitive.

SaTsuJiN
my sentiments exactly

Tha C-Master
Yea, I'm African American as well, and I can honestly say it doesn't make me lose sleep, but at the same time I can see where the complaints are coming from. I think its more of the "old fashioned" look of the black woman myself that gives it that, "slave" look. Nothing significant however.

WrathfulDwarf
That's pretty sad if Sony wanted to get attention this way. Why can't they just concentrate on getting quality games and cheaper prices rather than sneaky advertising contreversy. Weak Sony very weak.

Kayne Archeron
they have some interesting games on the line... if they'd just get with the freakin program and concentrate on games and not technology

PVS
the point of the ad was to piss people off for no good reason. sony has proven once again that they have nothing to offer and can only gain recognition for their product by whoring for attention. whether its the ps3 which will replace the internet or this ad, sony relies on gimmick.
so yes, they have all this attention, but do you honestly feel more or less compelled to buy the product? i just feel that much less compelled. not because of any racism, but because sony has yet to impress me by showing me what they have to offer with the psp. i, as a consumer, wish to see what i'm buying, rather than what some clever/idiotic wallstreet marketing exec pulled out of his ass.

next i guess sony will play on some holocaust theme for more attention. but is it really worth it?

El_NINO
I think SONY has stopped focusing on Games and started to focus more on Movies and Music. Just look at the PS3, the Blu-Ray is technology at the moment which nobody can afford as well as technology which relys on HDTVs which can cost in excess of $1000.

JKozzy

You know that Sony is thinking of putting some stuff in each PS3 CD so that you never rent, borrow, or buy used games? Once you play the CD in your PS3, it can only work on that one. Sony's flat out denied that, it was just a rumor.

ESB -1138
I hope Sony dies!! They deserve it for killing the Dreamcast. DOWN WITH SONY!!

They think too much of themselves. It's sad enough they actually thought they could top Nintendo in the handhelds. No one can beat Nintendo when it comes to handhelds.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.