Is Goku a ripoff of Superman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chickenlover98
superkronick92 believes he is. i think he's completely original. please post your views

Avalonofthewind
"Super" Saiyan... hmmmm

He's part old chinese mythology mixed with Superman.

Japanese Superman.

chickenlover98
nah

chickenlover98
super as in much stronger

chickenlover98
dude u and superkronick r in love

The Unknown
Originally posted by chickenlover98
superkronick92 believes he is. i think he's completely original. please post your views

Not exactly a rip-off, but more of copied qualities.

chickenlover98
some but not all. admitedly super strength and speed but mmost chars have that

chickenlover98
goku has a power most don't remember he can read minds

chickenlover98
supes doesn't

chase el

haha. Goku is nothing compared to Superman.

dvampire
supes doesn't

Supes has T-vo. And aren't you getting a little bit off topic? confused

chickenlover98
tvo?

superkronick92

yor just jealous because all you have to love are chickens big grin

Blaxican Hydra
Goku is based off an old japenase tale thingy.

And uh..Supes has got nothing on Goku.

Xman Unleashed
They are both extrodinary in thier own way. However which was around first? Besides Supes Would own Goku, provided he was fighting a namek leveled Goku, other wise Goku would kill him in a second. The question is which one is more of a boy scout? Supes or Goku?

MattDay
meh, boy scout or not, big blue all the way

olympian
No to a rip off.

The alien from a doomed planet part is a homage. But thats an added thing, not what the core character is all about.

If every small part of what a character is starts to be considered a rip off, then SM ripped off ALOT of parts here and there.

NPC
Goku is ABSOLUTELY a rip off of superman. The creator of DB/DBZ has said EXACTLY that in an interview.

An alien from a far away planet gets sent to earth as a child an barely escapes said planets destruction that then grows up on earth an orphan an becomes super strong and a savior. Then 3 super villains(raditz, vegeta, and napa) from said planet that happend to survive their planets destruction travel to earth to confront him? THAT WAS SUPERMAN 2 the movie's plot, HFS!

Blaxican Hydra
GOKUS BASED OFF AN OLD LEGAND MADE A HUNDRED FRIGAN YEARS BEFORE SUPES WAS EVEN THOUGHT OF. If anythign Supes is a rip off of Goku.

olympian
Originally posted by NPC
Goku is ABSOLUTELY a rip off of superman. The creator of DB/DBZ has said EXACTLY that in an interview.

An alien from a far away planet gets sent to earth as a child an barely escapes said planets destruction that then grows up on earth an orphan an becomes super strong and a savior. Then 3 super villains(raditz, vegeta, and napa) from said planet that happend to survive their planets destruction travel to earth to confront him? THAT WAS SUPERMAN 2 the movie's plot, HFS!

Link to that quote then, please.

Thats not what the core character is all about. Thats an added thing. Like Superman later flying, being able to time travel and having a bald mad scientist trying to kill him. They are all originals to Captain Marvel. Does that make SM a rip off too?

I dont belive for a second that the creator said his character is a rip off when it was taken from a old chinese legend that everyone in China grows up with. Thats what the character IS. A moderm Monkey King Goku and his companions.

If an adition to an already estabelized character, is to be consider a ripoff then SM ripped off blatantly CM. -Blantantly-

WrathfulDwarf
It's hard to say yes....but then again I wouldn't say no. There are similarities but they're not the same.

TheKahn
Originally posted by Avalonofthewind
"Super" Saiyan... hmmmm

He's part old chinese mythology mixed with Superman.

Japanese Superman.

Yea, I think that's pretty much it.

If you look at the original Dragon Ball you can really see all the similarities between Goku and Sun Wukong (aka Monkey King) from Journey to the West (or the translation Monkey by Arthur Waley). It is actually a very entertaining story in and of itself. Needless to say the Chinese legends on which the Monkey and later Goku were based predate Superman by a wide margin.

But when Dragon Ball Z came around you can see how they borrowed some of the science fiction elements from Superman. Still I think most of the similarities are superficial (no pun intended) and the two are very distinct characters.

The Unknown
Originally posted by Blaxican Hydra
GOKUS BASED OFF AN OLD LEGAND MADE A HUNDRED FRIGAN YEARS BEFORE SUPES WAS EVEN THOUGHT OF. If anythign Supes is a rip off of Goku.

That's DB Goku. We're talking about DBZ Goku.

Black Arachnid
first superman was based of an old Jewish folklore with surpassed the birth of Jesus and in alot of way was made to be more like Jesus like you only see superman 16 then all of a sudden he was 30 that was taken from the bible on of the creaters that made Dc new of the Folklore and tryed it out and that were superman came from.

Skeets
Originally posted by The Unknown
What the f**k?

The Unknown
Originally posted by Skeets
What the f**k?

In case you haven't noticed, there's a major difference between the two series...

Skeets
In case you haven't noticed, there's a major difference between the two series...
Sure but it's still the same character who's based on that legend of the monkey king.....erm

The Unknown
Sure but it's still the same character who's based on that legend of the monkey king.....erm

I know, but DB Goku is based on the monkey king. DBZ introduces the concept of Goku being an alien and all of the Superman stuff.

Skeets
I know, but DB Goku is based on the monkey king. DBZ introduces the concept of Goku being an alien and all of the Superman stuff.
Only the alien part,hardly makes him a rip-off.....erm

stunna1773

uh we are talking about Goku completely from all 3 series

Big Sexy
Wow, Rip off must be a loose term because similariteis does not mean rip off. Hell Superman isn't completly original and his traits were adapted from an earlier character.

Darth Martin
I don't think he is a rip-off, but it is the Japanese Superman. Goku is cool but Superman would destroy Goku in a fight tho.

NPC
Originally posted by Blaxican Hydra

Part of the story was taken from the ancient monkey PRINCE! An the monkey prince's adventures an the rest was taken directly from superman. An in one early DB episode they pay HOMAGE to superman by having a ripoff of him actually appear in the episode briefly an change in a phone booth an fly off.
I read that on a website a while back, that the creator was paying HOMAGE to superman as part of how he came up with DB/DBZ.
That is beyond similar, cry all you want, its the truth. It might even be on a DBZ/GT website if you look at the DB episode descriptions, look for the DB episode that superman appears in.

Big Sexy
Originally posted by Darth Martin
I don't think he is a rip-off, but it is the Japanese Superman. Goku is cool but Superman would destroy Goku in a fight tho. Actually I disagree as goku done too many amazing things for me to think superman can deal with his speed. But thats the motiff of every DBZ thread

olympian
Only the alien part,hardly makes him a rip-off.....erm

People here dont know what a rip off is. An addition to a estabalized character, is not a rip off. Because if it is, then SM is a rip off of Captain Marvel. Why?

Because CM used fligth first.

Because CM had the original bald mad scientist as major enemy.

Because Cm had the first " superhero family" concept.

Because Cm had the ability of time travel first.

Not to mention, the things he got from Doc Savage. And with all this i still i bet the majority will say that SM isent a ripoff. And he isent in fact, but neither is Goku because of a later addition.

Use the same standarts at least people....

olympian
Originally posted by NPC
Part of the story was taken from the ancient monkey PRINCE! An the monkey prince's adventures an the rest was taken directly from superman. An in one early DB episode they pay HOMAGE to superman by having a ripoff of him actually appear in the episode briefly an change in a phone booth an fly off.
I read that on a website a while back, that the creator was paying HOMAGE to superman as part of how he came up with DB/DBZ.
That is beyond similar, cry all you want, its the truth. It might even be on a DBZ/GT website if you look at the DB episode descriptions, look for the DB episode that superman appears in.

So you dont even know if it was a fansite but you trow it anyway. The creator never said Goku was a rip off. He cant be because the major inspiration was the Monkey King from the ancient chinese tales that far predate SM.

But if thats a rip off just wait up, the SM creators did mentioned they wanted theyr character to be like Samson/Hercules of our days. What you make of it?

Who is the Monkey "prince" anyway?

P.S - and a "SM" showing up doesnt make it a rip off either because the character had nothing to do with Goku. It was the ep when the DB cast met the cast of an earlier work of Toryama.

olympian
Originally posted by Big Sexy
Wow, Rip off must be a loose term because similariteis does not mean rip off. Hell Superman isn't completly original and his traits were adapted from an earlier character.
Ding Ding.

I bet this post will be overlooked, tho.

NPC
Originally posted by Big Sexy
Actually I disagree as goku done too many amazing things for me to think superman can deal with his speed. But thats the motiff of every DBZ thread

Superman has done 1000 times more an cooler things, but you would have to read the comics to see them. Which is why people support DBZ cause they dont read, ANYTHING. If they did they would shut their traps. Im a huge DBZ fan but see I did read superman comics so I know better the DBZ fans dont know any better, so its alright. =)
An if you still dont believe me about the DBZ creator paying homage to Supes, then go troll a DBZ board an ask them about it. They will set you straight I asure you!

An if you dont think DBZ sayain saga ISNT a rip off of Superman II, then I want some of what your smoking.

The monkey princes adventures dealt with a monk that became immortal an fought evil forces seek immortality as well. The stuff with super speed, reflexes, flight, strength, being alien, only survivor from homeworld that blew up, that was all supes inspired*ripoff*. Any sane person realizes its a rip off. I mean its what the chinese do best they ripped off the automobile an made a better one, they ripped off the entire electronics industry an made better stuff. Its their thing, its what they do, if you knew anything about history you would know this.

olympian
1- Thats not what this thread is about. Leave the DB x SM crap to the proper threads.

2- Wich is for you then? A ripoff, or homage? Theyr not the same thing.

3- Just, no:

The super speed concept predates SM for centuries

The super strength concept predates SM for centuries

Being an "alien" among other people is a concept that predates SM for centuries

The concept of fligth predates SM for centuries and the concept of a comicbook superhero flying, was used before SM.

The one thing SM has for him here, its the lone survivor thing, wich granted while Toryama added later to his already estabelized character, its sligthy different in that Goku isent a lone survivor. At best you can call it homage because the concept its similiar.

And obviously, the Chinese rip off everything. After all they wer already a nation before countries like ours wer born.

Sparkz
Originally posted by NPC
Superman has done 1000 times more an cooler things, but you would have to read the comics to see them. Which is why people support DBZ cause they dont read, ANYTHING. If they did they would shut their traps. Im a huge DBZ fan but see I did read superman comics so I know better the DBZ fans dont know any better, so its alright. =)
An if you still dont believe me about the DBZ creator paying homage to Supes, then go troll a DBZ board an ask them about it. They will set you straight I asure you!

An if you dont think DBZ sayain saga ISNT a rip off of Superman II, then I want some of what your smoking.

The monkey princes adventures dealt with a monk that became immortal an fought evil forces seek immortality as well. The stuff with super speed, reflexes, flight, strength, being alien, only survivor from homeworld that blew up, that was all supes inspired*ripoff*. Any sane person realizes its a rip off. I mean its what the chinese do best they ripped off the automobile an made a better one, they ripped off the entire electronics industry an made better stuff. Its their thing, its what they do, if you knew anything about history you would know this.

How is the saiyan saga a rip off of Superman 2? I didn't know General Zod went to Earth to use the dragonballs of earth to gain immortality, i thought he went there to take over the planet stick out tongue. The only simularities was the fact that character's of the same race from another planet fought, which dosen't exactly make it a ripoff now does it?

NPC
Originally posted by Sparkz
How is the saiyan saga a rip off of Superman 2? I didn't know General Zod went to Earth to use the dragonballs of earth to gain immortality, i thought he went there to take over the planet stick out tongue. The only simularities was the fact that character's of the same race from another planet fought, which dosen't exactly make it a ripoff now does it?

The only similairities? are you insane?
More similairities
- There were 3 aliens that were survivors of their home world being destroyed in addition to the 1 hero
-They come to earth, the same planet the orphan hero escaped to and confront him in a big show down
-They lose
-They have superpowers as well
-The hero is an orphan
-The hero has a weakness(grabbing the tale) that the 3 alien villans share(for supes its kryptonite)
-Supes lures the villans away from populated area to finish the fight, so did Goku

Gregory
Wow! That's ... completely unconvincing.

Sparkz
Originally posted by NPC
The only similairities? are you insane?
More similairities
- There were 3 aliens that were survivors of their home world being destroyed in addition to the 1 hero
-They come to earth, the same planet the orphan hero escaped to and confront him in a big show down
-They lose
-They have superpowers as well
-The hero is an orphan
-The hero has a weakness(grabbing the tale) that the 3 alien villans share(for supes its kryptonite)
-Supes lures the villans away from populated area to finish the fight, so did Goku

Wow 3 Alien survivors and a hero great...
They only went to earth to get the dragonballs not to take over...
Of course they lost thats generaly the point of any hero villain story, the villain looses.
The hero and 2 other villains didn't have that weakness.

Basicly there are minor simmularitys in the saga so your saying its a ripoff, and there are alot more differnces out weighing the simmularities...I'd list them but I can't be botherd right now.

olympian
Lets look at Superman:

He has a fortress of solitude like Doc Savage had

Hes named "Man of Steel", after Doc`s Savage " Man of bronze "

He has great strength like Hercules had

He has great speed like Mercury had

He came from the "heavens" like Jesus did

He died and came back like Jesus did, there was even a cult about him.

Doomsday shares so many similarities to Hulk, its crazy

Pre crisis Lex Luthor shares so many similarities to Silvana, its crazy

Captain Marvel used fligth first

Captain Marvel used time travel as power, first

Captain Marvel had the "superhero family" (CM jr, Mary Marvel) first

And thats on the top of my head.

So, Homages or rip offs?

MattDay
well that was the controversy of captain marvel and superman, many believe superman had the base abilities then marvel copied them while superman gained flight and time travel, they basically became more alike and huge feuds broke out over the characters... boring. They both rock!

olympian
The contraversy between both was only based in CM being more popular than SM back in the day.

Gladiator who is more of a actual rip off than anyone else discussed in this thread in my opinion, never had legal issues. Neither did Squadron Supreme Hyperion. And they are aliens, with Superman lite powers, costumes, and most of all backgrounds.

And SM still used those after CM. The question mantains here. Wich is Wich?

GODOFALL1
Goku is an UPGRADE from Superman, more powerful in almost every possible way! Superman is weak.

GODOFALL1
I take that back. Superman is a BADASS! But he's no goku

MattDay
goku's no superman tomcat

Ritoshi
Originally posted by olympian
Lets look at Superman:

So, Homages or rip offs?

Sparkz
Originally posted by MattDay
goku's no superman tomcat

didn't you just say Goku was a rip-off in the other DBZ thread here...

Big Sexy
Link to that quote then, please.

Thats not what the core character is all about. Thats an added thing. Like Superman later flying, being able to time travel and having a bald mad scientist trying to kill him. They are all originals to Captain Marvel. Does that make SM a rip off too?

I dont belive for a second that the creator said his character is a rip off when it was taken from a old chinese legend that everyone in China grows up with. Thats what the character IS. A moderm Monkey King Goku and his companions.

If an adition to an already estabelized character, is to be consider a ripoff then SM ripped off blatantly CM. -Blantantly- Happy Dance Exactly

NPC
Lol name another superhero thats
-Super fast
-Super strong
-Flys
-Has bullets bounce off him
-Comes from an Alien planet that was destroyed when he was young an barely esacped
-Has a weakness, despite being super strong, do to his alien hertiage
-3 Villans that share the same heritage an powers/weaknesses that also survived that same planets destruction
-3 Villans follow this hero to his new adopted planet
-3 Villans then threaten to kill him if he doesnt join them causing a showdown
-3 Villans then kidnap a close love one of the hero
-Only learns of alien heritage later in life an comes as a shock

Let's see the only thing goku is missing is super freezing breath an heat vision and thats not a a$$ load of similiarites that raises doubt as to goku's originality?
I dont know what your smoking but I want some

You people sound like the type that would argue whether the sky was blue, HFS

Broly92
Originally posted by NPC

-O
Goku weakness was cut off and grows back(it's his tail)

Who has kidnapped Goku's loved ones? (who is a major villian)

NPC
Originally posted by Broly92
Goku weakness was cut off and grows back(it's his tail)

Who has kidnapped Goku's loved ones? (who is a major villian)

Raditz kidnapped gohan remember? After Goku refused to join him

Its still a weakness an raditz shared it, its called similairities holy shit. Doesnt make a difference if its cut off or not it was still there an was still a weakness due to his heritage.

Broly92
Originally posted by NPC
Raditz kidnapped gohan remember? After Goku refused to join him

Its still a weakness an raditz shared it, its called similairities holy shit. Doesnt make a difference if its cut off or not it was still there an was still a weakness due to his heritage. He didn't exactly last long(major villian) even though I thought he was a cool charcter being Goku's BROTHER where is that in Supes rouge list

Sparkz
Originally posted by NPC
-Super fast
-Super strong
-Flys
-Comes from an Alien planet that was destroyed when he was young an barely esacped
-3 Villans that share the same heritage an powers/weaknesses that also survived that same planets destruction

Why are the powers super fast strong and the ability to fly a rip off of Superman???

Besides goku is Super strong due to his training not to his heritage.

Now lets see, Goku eliminated his weakness even before his tail was cut off...Did superman elimnate his weakness?

Only 1 Villain kidnapped a loved one, and didn't that loved one save the hero?? Did that happen in Superman 2?

Only 1 of those Villains wanted Goku to join him, the other 2 wanted eternal life.

So basicly there are slight simularities which then take completely differnt directions than Superman, thats not exactly a ripoff now is it,

olympian
Originally posted by NPC
-Super fast
-Super strong
-Flys

Let's see the only thing goku is missing is super freezing breath an heat vision and thats not a a$$ load of similiarites that raises doubt as to goku's originality?
I dont know what your smoking but I want some

You people sound like the type that would argue whether the sky was blue, HFS

I want an answer. What does Superman have of original of all those traits? Only the sole survivor part. And Goku while similiar, isent a sole survivor. Never was. Even the bullet bouncing part started with Doc Savage due to some garb he had.

In the end your reasoning fails because it works on the premise that every single one of those traits wer original from Superman. And they :

Lets look at Superman:

So, Homages or rip offs?

Simply werent. I even forgot another. More developded senses than any other man? Doc Savage, and pretty much alot who wer beyond the mere mortal. Super genious? Doc Savage.

Homage or rip off?

Superdude23
Problem is, Sun Wukong is a super strong, super fast, flying marital artist.

If anything, Goku is less powerful than Sun Wukong, exp some of his movie verisions.

Generic Hero
Goku and Superman share plenty of qualities. I consider Goku a mix of Journey to the West and Superman, but he has original qualities as well.

But Goku is nothing compared to Superman. Superman is an icon and Goku was just a character from an anime popular in the 90s. He's nothing too great now. In 50 years Superman'll still be as big as ever, and people will think "Goku who? Wasn't he one of the Teenage Power Rangers?".

Even in a fight, Goku is a child to Superman.

Sub_Mariner
No, It's just a storyline:

Last survivor of a planet(or something else), loads of powers and stuff, loads more come out of nowhere. Dies a few times, comes back.

aton_ra
What they did was take Superman's origin and improved it a 100 times to make it more badass.

Endless Mike
I think he is a combination of Superman and Sun Wukong

Kero_Co
I highly doubt Toriyama had superman in mind when he was thought up Goku. They have some similarities, but its not that great. Saying Goku is a superman rip is similar to saying King Arthur is a ripoff of Beowulf. I can't even imagine Superman in Journey to the West.

Ext@nt
Okay, there is next to NO similarities to GOku and Superman beyond the most superficial.

Does Superman know how to channel his spiritual energy into attacks?

Does Goku have X-ray vision? Does he has heat vision? Does he have Super-breath? Is he vulnerable to any one substance?

He IS NOT the last survivor of Planet Vegeta.

There was also
Vegeta
Brolly
Brolly's father
Nappa
Radtiz

Can Superman blow up the earth?

Does Superman's power incrase when he is healed from a fatal wound?

Can Superman ascend to the next level of a Kryptionian?

Does Superman turn into an ape during a full moon?

Thunder Angel
I doubt it

King Kandy
Using the patented "NPC" method, I will now "Prove" That Superman is a Rip off of the monkey king.

They both have superstrength, Superspeed, Flight, Allies with similar abbilities, Foes with similar abilities, Invulnerability, Breath powers, and they both fight for good.

What more proof do you need? Fortunatly, coicidences do not exist in the realm of the "NPC" method.

Ext@nt
NPC?

So they have 3 powers the same? Goku does not have a breath power.

Fighting for good? Okay if thats what your going for then everyone is a rip off.

Read my post above, they are WAYYY more different then they are the same.

All I count the same about them is

Super Strength
Flight
Super Speed

Another difference, Goku has to train to get his power up, Clark was born with his powers and their development was just a matter of aging, not training.

When Superman looks up at the moon, turns into a big ape, and fires a spiritual energy blast yelling "Kamehameha!" Then they would be the same.

King Kandy
???

I am not NPC. And the Monkey king, who DOES have a breath power, is not the same as Goku.

Endless Mike
Didn't Toriyama say that he got the idea for the Saiya-jin race from watching the movie Superman 2?

olympian
Whats the point of this thread, again?

MattDay
damn it, goku is an eastern creation that have some small similarities to some big similarities to superman, the asians love superman, so i would think goku is a stab at trying to have their own "superman" to love and stuff, that's the jist of goku, plus he's in an completely different comic stlye, everything is blown of of preportion, like their muscles are extremely huge sometimes, although this happens in most comics, much less nowadays though, and his head is too big for his body in most action shots, plus i hate the asian drawings of how people look, they look ill

King Kandy
GOKU=SUN WUKONG!

Get it through your heads!

Ext@nt
No, he has only minor similarites to Superman.

Superman died once,

Goku died multiple times.

read my post above and you'll see they have very little in common.

Superman has ice breath.

Goku's ape form fire energy balls out of its mouth. Do you see how that is different?

King Kandy
Did I say He was like Superman? No, I did not.

Ext@nt
Originally posted by King Kandy
Using the patented "NPC" method, I will now "Prove" That Superman is a Rip off of the monkey king.

They both have superstrength, Superspeed, Flight, Allies with similar abbilities, Foes with similar abilities, Invulnerability, Breath powers, and they both fight for good.

What more proof do you need? Fortunatly, coicidences do not exist in the realm of the "NPC" method.

Read above yes you did and I proved it wasnt true.

Okay, there is next to NO similarities to GOku and Superman beyond the most superficial.

Does Superman know how to channel his spiritual energy into attacks?

Does Goku have X-ray vision? Does he has heat vision? Does he have Super-breath? Is he vulnerable to any one substance?

He IS NOT the last survivor of Planet Vegeta.

There was also
Vegeta
Brolly
Brolly's father
Nappa
Radtiz

Can Superman blow up the earth?

Does Superman's power incrase when he is healed from a fatal wound?

Can Superman ascend to the next level of a Kryptionian?

Does Superman turn into an ape during a full moon?
Superman died once,

Goku died multiple times.

read my post above and you'll see they have very little in common.

Superman has ice breath.

Goku's ape form fire energy balls out of its mouth. Do you see how that is different?

King Kandy
I suppose It takes a inttelect better then you to realize that post was a sarcastic jab at NPC, using his tactics to "Prove" Something that obviously was not true.

If you put something in quotations when it is not a quote, it usualy implies sarcasm, that is to say that you should imagin when I said "Prove" It ment that it would not actualy prove anything.

And Monkey King Is not the same as Goku. I didn't even mention Goku in that quote.

Ext@nt
So your agreeing that they are not the same except on the most superficial levels.

MattDay
I'd say superman could destroy the world too, but not by using powers like the kaheamdnjfksa... how ever it's spelt

Ext@nt
Yeah but see thats what makes them different. They have only minor surface similarities.

Broly92
I'd say superman could destroy the world too, but not by using powers like the kaheamdnjfksa... how ever it's spelt
Ka-me-ha-me-ha it's not that hard big grin

MattDay
lol forgot again

Yea when u look at it, there are alot of characters that share supermans power set, so why is everyone singling out goku? sentry is the one I've got my eye on

Ext@nt
The only powers Goku shares with him are

Flight
Super Speed.
Invulnerablity

thats it.

King Kandy
Goku ain't invulnerable. A look at any given episode will so that to be true.

Superdude23
The only powers Goku shares with him are

Flight
Super Speed.
Invulnerablity

thats it.

And the funny thing is that those are the powers of Sun Wukong as well, so really Superman and Goku have nothing in common but maybe a nod in Superman's direction from AT.

And I love the way some of you guys are acting, one moment Goku is a rip-off with the exact same powers, the other he is not even in Superman's league.

You guys can not have it both ways.

MattDay
I want a new crossover where sentry and superman cross paths, sentry goes on about how he beat galactus on his own then superman punches him extremely hard because he thinks this guy could be telling the truth, sentry gets up with a broken nose and busted lip like "what the hell have I got myself into here???" u know it to be true

Broly92
I want a new crossover where sentry and superman cross paths, sentry goes on about how he beat galactus on his own then superman punches him extremely hard because he thinks this guy could be telling the truth, sentry gets up with a broken nose and busted lip like "what the hell have I got myself into here???" u know it to be true
Okay

no But would he lose based on feats yes!

james2099
I would love to see superman trying to hold coolers supernova or run up in cell or omega shenron face and get killed so fast that his fanboys will start crying like babies.... WHAT IN THE HELL CAN SUPERMAN DO TO GOKU BESIDES GET KILLED... HELL I WOULD LOVE TO SEE SUPES HIT WITH VEGETAS FINAL FLASH.. YOU FANBOYS HAVE LOST YOUR MINDS.

shortstickman
SM was the first superhero created as far as i know

Pete Beast
http: //supergoku .ytmnd. com/

Lol, sorry if this breaks the rules, but its a good YTMND comparison of the two. Pretty close big grin

DestinyGuy678
goku is obviously based on suprman with japanese values

how he arrived on earth,
similar powers (flight speed, and minimal but still super strength)

they gave him the ability to be bullet proof and the fact when he ascends he becomes a SUPER saiyan

Galvaclaw
And I'd like to see Goku try and survive the Omega effect, turn the wheels of Maggedon or grapple with with a black hole, shame we don't always get what we want. I'm sure the fanfic Goku that exists in your mind is powerful but the real one isn't nearly as powerful.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Pete Beast
http://supergoku.ytmnd.com/

Lol, sorry if this breaks the rules, but its a good YTMND comparison of the two. Pretty close big grin I don't think it breaks the rules, and that's a good link to compare the two. Nothing about who is better or any of that garbage, just similarities in their character and storylines.

Good link Pete. thumb up

Pete Beast
Lol, its just that I dont know how I can post scans or links, because it never lets me, so didn't know if posting a link would be something wrong :s

pr1983
Originally posted by james2099
I would love to see superman trying to hold coolers supernova or run up in cell or omega shenron face and get killed so fast that his fanboys will start crying like babies.... WHAT IN THE HELL CAN SUPERMAN DO TO GOKU BESIDES GET KILLED... HELL I WOULD LOVE TO SEE SUPES HIT WITH VEGETAS FINAL FLASH.. YOU FANBOYS HAVE LOST YOUR MINDS.

please calm down, and have some manners...

Sarutobi700
No Goku is 100000000 times stronger than Superman. Saiyan>>>>>>>>>Man/Kryptonian

Creshosk
Originally posted by Sarutobi700
No Goku is 100000000 times stronger than Superman. Saiyan>>>>>>>>>Man/Kryptonian The evidence says otherwise.

Soljer
Interesting....

When did Superman get depowered from lifting hundreds of thousands of tons to four ten-millionths of a ton?

Sarutobi700
No Goku is an upgrade of a cooler Superman with kids and a wife. Does Supes have a wife? and kids? no

Galvaclaw
Right... Do you even read what rubbish you type?

Superman is married to Lois lane and has a son named chris kent. Also I would rate Goku's marriage as an achievement for him. He was tricked into it after all, thinking it was a kind of food.

Sarutobi700
Lol Its Supes ADOPTED son. He cant procreate because he has a weak sperm count

Creshosk
That's funny, because in the Superman movies continuity he has a kid, in kingdom come he had a kid with wonder woman, precrisis superman had twins with lois, and in the A-Ko world he once again had kids with Wonder Woman.

Two different dispensations he's had kids with Lois, two other ones he had kids with Wonder Woman.

He has at least 5 different kids in different continuities...

Sarutobi700
^^But he doesnt in the continuity that matters

Galvaclaw
I'd also like to bring bring up Superman Secundus from JLA #1,000,000. Main continuity right there. I imagine it's still cannon as as soon as anyone lets Morrison near JLA or non all star superman he'll bring it up again.

ragesRemorse

there is no such thing as an original idea. There are some glaring similiarities between Goku and Superman. I wouldnt say Goku is a rip off though. I wouldnt even suggest that Superman had much influence in the creation of Goku's character. These type of savior-esque characters always share the same traits and in animation...,usually the same type of abilities as well.

If you want to see a prime example of what a rip off looks like. Look at Marvels Apocalypse. That character is blatant rip-off from DC's Darkseid. From the name of Darksied home planet to his character design. Marvel was not very inconspicuous in their rip off. Though, A-poc is much cooler so its all good

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Creshosk

He has at least 5 different kids in different continuities...

thats why comic books blow

Creshosk
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
there is no such thing as an original idea. There are some glaring similiarities between Goku and Superman. I wouldnt say Goku is a rip off though. I wouldnt even suggest that Superman had much influence in the creation of Goku's character. These type of savior-esque characters always share the same traits and in animation...,usually the same type of abilities as well.

If you want to see a prime example of what a rip off looks like. Look at Marvels Apocalypse. That character is blatant rip-off from DC's Darkseid. From the name of Darksied home planet to his character design. Marvel was not very inconspicuous in their rip off. Though, A-poc is much cooler so its all good Because DC was the first to use the word Apocalypse... roll eyes (sarcastic)

You don't think that Apocalypse might have anything to do with the biblical apocalypse what with his horsemen and all?

ragesRemorse
Because DC was the first to use the word Apocalypse... roll eyes (sarcastic)

You don't think that Apocalypse might have anything to do with the biblical apocalypse what with his horsemen and all?

yeah, im sure the character design was purely coincidental too, as well as the personality and level of threat roll eyes (sarcastic)

Violent2Dope
yeah, im sure the character design was purely coincidental too, as well as the personality and level of threat roll eyes (sarcastic) Apoc and Ds don't look alike. erm

DestinyGuy678
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
Apoc and Ds don't look alike. erm I always thought thanos was the darkseid rip off

Sarutobi700
Jack Kirby made both characters u know

King Kandy
Originally posted by Sarutobi700
Jack Kirby made both characters u know
Um Jim Starlin made Thanos...

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by DestinyGuy678
I always thought thanos was the darkseid rip off Not really.

Creshosk
yeah, im sure the character design was purely coincidental too, as well as the personality and level of threat roll eyes (sarcastic) Yes because megalomanical was first thought up by DC

Apocalypse the same level of threat as Darkseid... Darkseid whom rules a planet and Apocalypse who can't seem to win?

Superman is greater than the X-men you know... in terms of power.

So what does that leave us with? Oh yeah they both have purple skin... roll eyes (sarcastic)

I guess if they have the same color skin they must be ripoffs of each other...

ragesRemorse
Apoc and Ds don't look alike. erm

Yes they do. Aside form some wires a bit more armor. Both look like different artistic interpretations of one another.

ragesRemorse
Yes because megalomanical was first thought up by DC

Apocalypse the same level of threat as Darkseid... Darkseid whom rules a planet and Apocalypse who can't seem to win?

Superman is greater than the X-men you know... in terms of power.

So what does that leave us with? Oh yeah they both have purple skin... roll eyes (sarcastic)

I guess if they have the same color skin they must be ripoffs of each other...

Darkseid imposes the same amount of threat to Superman, as Apoc does to the X-men. Darkseid was Supermans most threatening enemy at one time. Darkseid always brought a dreadful tone to the Superman comics. One that was appreciated by fans through sales. Marvel needed a new villain as the fans were losing interest in Magneto. Its been a common thing for MArvel and DC to both take a page out of each others character and sales strategies

By the way, A-poc also reigned over a planet. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Personally, the character design, traits and the time of which A-poc was introduced to Marvel is FAR to similar to one another. For me to think that A-poc was not influenced by Darkseid

Creshosk
Darkseid imposes the same amount of threat to Superman, as Apoc does to the X-men. None these days? That's like saying aunt may poses the same level of threat as either Apoc or DS therefore she's on their level...

Darkseid was Supermans most threatening enemy at one time. Darkseid always brought a dreadful tone to the Superman comics. One that was appreciated by fans through sales. Marvel needed a new villain as the fans were losing interest in Magneto. Its been a common thing for MArvel and DC to both take a page out of each others character and sales strategies

By the way, A-poc also reigned over a planet. roll eyes (sarcastic) You mean the non-canon and has now been wiped out Age of Apocalypse? Are you really comparing an alternate reality that required time manipulation

Personally, the character design,Oh noes! They both wear blue!

traits Shared with Dr Doom 1962 predates DS 1970..

and the time of which A-poc was introduced to Marvel is FAR to similar to one another. Oh yeah because 8 years is such a similar timeframe.

For me to think that A-poc was not influenced by Darkseid

Actually The designs were alot more different...
The only things you have going for your argument is that they both wear blue.

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Workshop/8051/darkseid.gif
http://image.comicvine.com/uploads/vol/4000/3657/3657-28473-1-x-factor_400.jpg

other than that what do you have? Darkseid has a nose, and a purpleish hue to his skin. Apocalypse doesn't have the same color of skin as DS as it turns out.

Megalomanical personality trait?

Guess Doom and Magneto of old were both ripoffs of DS as well... but oh wait... old Magnet butt first appeared in the 60s. DS was in 1970.

Guess DS ripped off Magneto (whose only similarity is their personality trait of a desire for power...

Or rather Dr. Doom whom came out a year before that...

Chakan22
Goku is such a rip-off of Superman! and here's why:

-His Father was a Scientist

-He was rocketed to earth as an infant from a doomed planet which blew up(even though it was because of Freiza, but it blew up none the less)

-He was raised, in the country, to be a humble, kind-hearted being, who later grew up to be Earth's greatest Protector.

-He has powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men.

-He even died and came back!(albeit like 4 times)

And since Goku is indeed a copy of Superman, and we all know that a rip-off, no matter how indavidually successful, is never greater than the original, Superman would win a fight. And besides, even if you didn't talk about the rip-off-osity, Superman would win because we can see that for all his blurred speed, Goku has never broken the sound barrier(Superman can do that walking). Goku had to struggle to stop that big rock Freiza threw at him(We all know Superman woulda' super-blew that thing back at him), and Superman can withstand flying through a star!, we al know goku would have no chance of doing that.

superkronick92
Originally posted by Chakan22
Goku is such a rip-off of Superman! and here's why:

-He was rocketed to earth as an infant from a doomed planet which blew up(even though it was because of Freiza, but it blew up none the less)

-He was raised, in the country, to be a humble, kind-hearted being, who later grew up to be Earth's greatest Protector.

-He has powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men.

And since Goku is indeed a copy of Superman, and we all know that a rip-off, no matter how indavidually successful, is never greater than the original, Superman would win a fight. And besides, even if you didn't talk about the rip-off-osity, Superman would win because we can see that for all his blurred speed, Goku has never broken the sound barrier(Superman can do that walking). Goku had to struggle to stop that big rock Freiza threw at him(We all know Superman woulda' super-blew that thing back at him), and Superman can withstand flying through a star!, we al know goku would have no chance of doing that.

thumb up Finally, a new guy who knows what he's talking about

Sarutobi700
^^Only cos he's a superman dickrider. if he said that Goku was stronger you would have benn like "OMG not another troll", "GTFO Troll", "are you a dupe"

King Kandy
No he's not, that's dub bullshit.

I think his first death may have predated the Desth of Superman...

Okay dude, anyone who's rational can realize that Goku=Sun Wukong. Superman really has nothing to do with it.

superkronick92
Dragon ball Goku= Son Wukong

DBZ Goku = Superman, the whole concept of the saiyans was based on Superman 2, Zod Ursa and Non were turned into Raditz, Nappa and Vegita

Creshosk
No he's not, that's dub bullshit.

I think his first death may have predated the Desth of Superman...

Okay dude, anyone who's rational can realize that Goku=Sun Wukong. Superman really has nothing to do with it. uh... kandy...

http://supergoku.ytmnd.com/

Violent2Dope
uh... kandy...

http://supergoku.ytmnd.com/ Some of those "similarities" are sketchy at best.

Creshosk
Some of those "similarities" are sketchy at best. Like what?

They both were sent to Earth before their planet was destroyed, they were both discovered and raised by kind people. They both grew up to become great defenders of their planets. They both fought the person who destroyed their home planet. They both fought people who were made from their own cells. They both fought killer androids. They both shoot energy.

Their stories are fairly similar in those regards. is it really so hard to accept that DBZ might contain at least partial homages to Superman?

I mean Sonic the hedgehog does have an homage to DBZ in the form of SuperSonic to the SuperSaiyan.. which by name might be another part of the homage to SuperMan...

Note I'm saying homage, not rip off. Both are great stories, there's no need for a negative conotation.

King Kandy
Okay, some of these reasons are just plain stupid.

SuperiorTech
Yup "everything" comes from superman.

Capt Spaulding
Toriyama has stated that big blue was a big influence on creating Goku...

Val
Yes

Bardock42
Not a rip off, certainly strongly influenced though.

Creshosk
Okay, some of these reasons are just plain stupid. Only to those in denial.

Of course then you're the last person who needs to be talking about who is and isn't a superman clone. Goku was an homage, cause toriyama liked Superman. What's sentry's excuse?

Bardock42
Only to those in denial.

Of course then you're the last person who needs to be talking about who is and isn't a superman clone. Goku was an homage, cause toriyama liked Superman. What's sentry's excuse?

To be fair, the majority of the reasons are rather vague or outright unimportant or stupid. I would say the following have more or less not much of a point in one way or another.

Adopted by some kind of parent

Ma and Pa Kent and Son Gohan....the parallels are mind boggling, aren't they?

Both began as a comic

Yeah, well, so what?

Superman powered by the sun, Goku powered by the moon

a) that's not true b) the sun and the moon are quite different

Kryptonite - Son Gokus tail

They both have a weak point, that's not actually ripping something off though, just realism, most guys have a pretty weak point between their legs, besides Goku lost this weakpoint by the time people claim he becomes more like Superman

Both have a dark friend

Vegeta and Batman....that's, just not that good of a comparison, is it?

Starred in a cartoon series

Again, so what, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Family Guy and Transformers are cartoon series...wouldn't say either is a rip off of any of the other.

Superman's laser beams, Goku's KameHameHa

Don't get that one....they both have...superpowers? C-cool

Enemy made out of their own cells

Bizarro and Cell have very, very little in common, I'd say.

They fought Androids

So, has every other Science Fiction character in the last 50 years...cause Androids are just freaking cool.

Majority of their games suck

Well.......that one is actually true.

I think it is funny to see that there are some funny coincidences, I think you could find those between most other Science Fiction based long lasting series too though. On topic it is not very helpful, I feel. Amusing though.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Bardock42
To be fair, the majority of the reasons are rather vague or outright unimportant or stupid. I would say the following have more or less not much of a point in one way or another.

Adopted by some kind of parent

Ma and Pa Kent and Son Gohan....the parallels are mind boggling, aren't they? I suppose Goku could have gone unadopted after being sent to earth as a baby... It's not like it's connected or anything...

Both began as a comic

Yeah, well, so what? This one is reaching and I don't really care about. That an the cartoon thing.

Superman powered by the sun, Goku powered by the moon

a) that's not true b) the sun and the moon are quite different And goku isn't really powered by the moon, He's powered by an internal energy source.

Kryptonite - Son Gokus tail

They both have a weak point, that's not actually ripping something off though, just realism, most guys have a pretty weak point between their legs, besides Goku lost this weakpoint by the time people claim he becomes more like SupermanI never said that Goku was a rip off. I said that some parts of him were an homage to Superman.

Sort of like Sonic the hedgehog's 7 chaos emeralds are a parrelel to the Dragon Balls and Super Sonic is an homage to Super Saiyan.

Both have a dark friend

Vegeta and Batman....that's, just not that good of a comparison, is it?An antihero who hangs out with the main character? How many people have that?

Cyclops and Wolverine I'll give you but other than them?

Starred in a cartoon series

Again, so what, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Family Guy and Transformers are cartoon series...wouldn't say either is a rip off of any of the other. See above.

Superman's laser beams, Goku's KameHameHa

Don't get that one....they both have...superpowers? C-cool*shrugs*

Enemy made out of their own cells

Bizarro and Cell have very, very little in common, I'd say.b You mean other than the main point of being an enemy made of the hero's cells which was the only comparison drawn between them and thus still valid as it's true?

They fought Androids

So, has every other Science Fiction character in the last 50 years...cause Androids are just freaking cool. It is rather pushing it.

Majority of their games suck

Well.......that one is actually true. Ha! While I agree that the majority of both games suck I felt this one was just added as a dig both by them and by you (which I'll agree with). It really has nothing to do with them being similar as a lot of non-video game originating characters have video games that suck.

I think it is funny to see that there are some funny coincidences, I think you could find those between most other Science Fiction based long lasting series too though. On topic it is not very helpful, I feel. Amusing though. The ones you didn't mention are probably more part of the homage.

Bardock42
I suppose Goku could have gone unadopted after being sent to earth as a baby... It's not like it's connected or anything...

This one is reaching and I don't really care about. That an the cartoon thing.

And goku isn't really powered by the moon, He's powered by an internal energy source.

I never said that Goku was a rip off. I said that some parts of him were an homage to Superman.

Sort of like Sonic the hedgehog's 7 chaos emeralds are a parrelel to the Dragon Balls and Super Sonic is an homage to Super Saiyan.

An antihero who hangs out with the main character? How many people have that?

Cyclops and Wolverine I'll give you but other than them?

See above.

*shrugs*

You mean other than the main point of being an enemy made of the hero's cells which was the only comparison drawn between them and thus still valid as it's true?

It is rather pushing it.

Ha! While I agree that the majority of both games suck I felt this one was just added as a dig both by them and by you (which I'll agree with). It really has nothing to do with them being similar as a lot of non-video game originating characters have video games that suck.

The ones you didn't mention are probably more part of the homage.

I figure we basically agree, my point is just that it doesn't support a rip off theory (as the thread proposed).

I know you don't mean to say that, but I can understand why it is refused on topics, cause, as we both agree, it is more of a homage than a "I want to make a character that is like Superman" thing.

BradBalboa
Originally posted by NPC

exept zod and his kryponian comrades where after supes for revenge for j locking them in the phantom zone, radditz just happened to remember his kid bro kakarot was sent to earth, he went to collect him, after radditz wasted nappa and vegeta come septely, Gku has many things in common with supesbut originally he was just a boy found in te woods, the inspiration for the charactr was the monkey god of china NOT superman

King Kandy
Originally posted by BradBalboa
the inspiration for the charactr was the monkey god of china NOT superman
Yup. I would like to see just how many "similarities" between Superman and Goku are not also shared by Sun Wukong.

zeel
Goku is but a grain of sand in the sahara desert.

and superman is the desert =)

nothin against Goku but he just reminds me to much of the power rangers and a cheap kung fu cartoon with shit animation.

weather hes stronger or not could care less.

Combat_Guru
I don't think Akira intended to rip off Superman, but he did. sad

Creshosk
Originally posted by Combat_Guru
I don't think Akira intended to rip off Superman, but he did. sad I think it was more of an homage to superman, like how supersonic was an homage to dbz...

Lord Feron
I don't hate superman but to say superman was 100% original would be a lie. Anyone hear of Gladiator? Predates superman by a couple of years. Someone gets a cookie if they can find the similarities between Gladiators real name and Kal-El/Clark Kent. Your gonna be shocked lol.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Lord Feron
I don't hate superman but to say superman was 100% original would be a lie. Anyone hear of Gladiator? Predates superman by a couple of years. Someone gets a cookie if they can find the similarities between Gladiators real name and Kal-El/Clark Kent. Your gonna be shocked lol. Oh god.. youRE talking about Kallark of Marvel whom first appeared in X-Men #107 in 1977?

How the hell does a character created in 1977 predate one created in 1938?

GTFO

Fuzzy Hawkeye
Oh god.. youRE talking about Kallark of Marvel whom first appeared in X-Men #107 in 1977?

How the hell does a character created in 1977 predate one created in 1938?

GTFO

Cresh, you stupidface furious, 1977 predates 1938 in many ways, I could list them, but you couldn't even begin to understand my bullshit. haermm

Galvaclaw
At first I assumed he meant the character from The Gladiator novel, who is believed to have inspired Superman. Though the only thing in common they have is Superhuman strength and durability. The novel Gladiator was given his powers by his mother being injected with a serum while he was in her womb.

And really now that novel didn't invent Super strength it's been around for thousands of years in strength the Character in the novel also didn't wear a costume or fight crime.

Then he said the name thing. Except his name is Hugo Danner. Not that close to Kal EL.

Raoul
I don't hate superman but to say superman was 100% original would be a lie. Anyone hear of Gladiator? Predates superman by a couple of years. Someone gets a cookie if they can find the similarities between Gladiators real name and Kal-El/Clark Kent. Your gonna be shocked lol.

get. out. please. for the love of GOD.

Badabing
I don't hate superman but to say superman was 100% original would be a lie. Anyone hear of Gladiator? Predates superman by a couple of years. Someone gets a cookie if they can find the similarities between Gladiators real name and Kal-El/Clark Kent. Your gonna be shocked lol. So 1977 is before 1938? dur
Superman

Gladiator

Please just rethink your opinion.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/untitled-2.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/untitled-4.jpg

Mr. Slippyfist

Completely agree.

Also, in the Wiki link someone posted, it says this:
"Gladiator's first appearance is often said to have been in X-Men, vol. 1, #107, however, this is not true. He actually appears in "Awesome Comics" vol. 1, issue number 2 in 1931. Marvel adopted the character when they were working on X-Men, and didn't put it out there, as the comic company they got the character from went under, and thought they could just take him as he was open at the time. They had a long legal dispute with DC about it (as DC wanted him, so no other company would have anyone predating Superman), and in the end, Marvel got him in 1976, and starred him in his first appearance back in 1977. It is an often forgotten fact, that even Marvel itself seems to want to forget."

confused

Creshosk
Originally posted by Mr. Slippyfist
Completely agree.

Also, in the Wiki link someone posted, it says this:
"Gladiator's first appearance is often said to have been in X-Men, vol. 1, #107, however, this is not true. He actually appears in "Awesome Comics" vol. 1, issue number 2 in 1931. Marvel adopted the character when they were working on X-Men, and didn't put it out there, as the comic company they got the character from went under, and thought they could just take him as he was open at the time. They had a long legal dispute with DC about it (as DC wanted him, so no other company would have anyone predating Superman), and in the end, Marvel got him in 1976, and starred him in his first appearance back in 1977. It is an often forgotten fact, that even Marvel itself seems to want to forget."

confused According to Wiki, Jubilee is an omega level mutant.

So got any proof to back up this wiki claim?

Mr. Slippyfist
Ya but, Wiki stated an actual comic appearance, not a statement. Why should I get proof to back up proof?

And I didn't even bring up the Wiki bio... someone else did... I just pointed out something in the bio that contradicted their claims...

And I edited it...

grey fox
The term is 'Homage' not 'Rip-off'.

xJLxKing
I think that Goku is just another cheap copy of Superman. For one both their world have been destroyed, then they had people come to them who also from the same planet their were(Raddits, Napa, Vegeta)(Zod, supergirl, Superboy).
I think Goku is rip off and a copy for Chinese, and Japanese people.(No offence to them tho)

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>