The New JOKER!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xkalybr
Straight from the floor of Comic-Con 2006 in San Diego, MovieWeb.com/SuperheroFlix.com has learned that Heath Ledger will be playing the Joker in the continuation of the Batman Begins franchise.

The film is currently in pre-production and does not have a title at this time.

Do you think he will make a good Joker????

LanceWindu
Old news to me. stick out tongue I posted this 5 hours ago.

chase el
WOW. That sucks

Punkyhermy
WTF?!

Xam
NO EFFIN WAY U GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!ID RATHER SEE CHAD MICHEAL MURRAY AS JOKER THAN HEATH LEDGER!

Cerberus
Originally posted by xkalybr
Straight from the floor of Comic-Con 2006 in San Diego, MovieWeb.com/SuperheroFlix.com has learned that Heath Ledger will be playing the Joker in the continuation of the Batman Begins franchise.

The film is currently in pre-production and does not have a title at this time.

Do you think he will make a good Joker????

jawdrop What.....THE.....****?

xkalybr
Originally posted by LanceWindu
Old news to me. stick out tongue I posted this 5 hours ago.

That's cool. wink

What do you think of Heath?

If he plays the Joker more sinister that comical or gay stick out tongue , then it should be okay.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by xkalybr
That's cool. wink

What do you think of Heath?

If he plays the Joker more sinister that comical or gay stick out tongue , then it should be okay.

I saw a photoshopped image of him in the costume, and he can pull off the grin at least.

Who knows, maybe he'll do good. I'll wait to pass judgement.

Mr Parker
Honestly I dont understand what the big deal is about Heath Ledger as The Joker.I dont know who he is by his name but just by looking at photos of him from a google net search I like the choice.He is tall and slim like the joker is suppose to be.what all do you guys want? you all want a short fat guy as joker again? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Now idfhe is an extremely horrible actor like chris o'donnel is,then I can understand what all the fuss is about.

.Dance_Inside.
I don't know what I think. You never know until you see it

Rafkins_Warning
Well if he does play the Joker I won't be seeing it... five more dollars I can spend on something else in '08!

The Tater
Originally posted by Rafkins_Warning
Well if he does play the Joker I won't be seeing it... five more dollars I can spend on something else in '08!
That's the spirit. Way to keep an open mind roll eyes (sarcastic).

Rafkins_Warning
I have a very open mind... and I also know something that does not interest me when I see it... maybe if the trailer looks decent I will consider it again... but as of right now I have no interest in seeing the sequel in theaters... just like I had no interest in seeing Begins in theaters... so once again, I shall wait till it comes out on video and rent it.

Doc Ock
I like this casting choice.

Alec Brood
We shall wait and see what he can pull off.

chase el
let me see this photoshopped image of him as joker. i dont buy it.

Silverstein
Heath Ledger, the dude from A Knights Tale? I've never seen him in much movies besides Knights Tale & a commercial of the brothers grim...

Superherovandal
and Casanova and Brokeback Mt. and the Patriot

MrHeavySilence
I thought it was just a rumor!

bakerboy
I think that he could do a good job. He could looks the part, he is a very good actor and is young enough to play the character. We have to wait until to pass judgment, but i think that he could be good as the joker.

Silverstein
"damit! why couldn't they have gotten jack black as the joker?!! he was fat, short and pudgy just like burton's joker, and he's ridiculously funny. what, the hell."
roll eyes (sarcastic)
laughing
-quote by typical burton-bat fanboy.

NoFate007
Jack Black would be even worse lol. Why not just cast Paul Reubens? haha.

xkalybr
A fat, pudgy, comical Joker would suck. IMO. no

Creepy, lean, sinister, deadly, and unpredictable would make for a better Joker character. big grin

Hopefully Heath understands this and plays him true to the comics.

Maybe a Joker like in the novel Arkham Asylum. evil face

Jimmy Buggs
glad joker will be real, not a mockery like the first one. uhoh you stabed a guy with a feather your insainoooooooooooooooow.

WrathfulDwarf
As much as I know he is only been offered the role. That's official..whether he will accept it or not is up in the air.

NoFate007
He'd be an idiot not to, lol. I mean its The Joker. There really isn't any more popular of a superhero villain out there besides possibly Luthor and Venom.

woody82
Not sure about this well Ledger has had a varied career, a knight, to a gay cowboy nwo to being the Joker, well suppose its not the worst.
Though Jack Black would of been better only saying this as someone mentioned it and thought well he's a crazy sought of guy.

Draco69
*cackles insanely*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

Heath Ledger?! Well that was certainly a surprise.

Personally I thought Robin Williams could have done the job. He's already crazy...

The Joker#1
Ledger is a great choice for Joker IMO.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Silverstein
"damit! why couldn't they have gotten jack black as the joker?!! he was fat, short and pudgy just like burton's joker, and he's ridiculously funny. what, the hell."
roll eyes (sarcastic)
laughing
-quote by typical burton-bat fanboy.

yep. laughing

Myth
Well, Heath wouldn't have been my first choice, simply because I've never seen him play something even remotely similar to the Joker. But then again, he is overall a pretty good actor and he could physically look pretty good as the Joker.

HellMaster93
I'm not sure yert... but I wanna see Bettany!!!!

Silverstein
Originally posted by woody82
Not sure about this well Ledger has had a varied career, a knight, to a gay cowboy nwo to being the Joker, well suppose its not the worst.
Though Jack Black would of been better only saying this as someone mentioned it and thought well he's a crazy sought of guy.

i said jack black. It was a joke thoughconfused . I know for a fact that Batman Begins will go for a serious Joker possibly resembling t.a.s., Not an over-the-top-try-desperately-to-be-funny, fat pudgy, half balding, 5 '5 Joker of the Burton films.

What burton and about maybe 60% of film makers out there dont get is. Just because the crew laughs at a joke from the script, doesnt necessarily mean the audience will laugh. Thats why we get so many meh-smirk jokes in movies. but there are some intended not to be a big laugh: but when you have an entire movie dedicated to one liner jokes and speechless scenes, it gets sad after awhile. im not sure if burton's batman movies was supposed to be funny or not erm

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by NoFate007
He'd be an idiot not to, lol. I mean its The Joker. There really isn't any more popular of a superhero villain out there besides possibly Luthor and Venom.

I'll betcha a Dr Pepper that we're gonna have threads like "Who is the better Joker: Ledger or Nicholson?" in two years. Then we gonna have polls, fights, fanboyism, etc happening here.

NoFate007
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I'll betcha a Dr Pepper that we're gonna have threads like "Who is the better Joker: Ledger or Nicholson?" in two years. Then we gonna have polls, fights, fanboyism, etc happening here.

Oh of course. We'll have 10 threads on it cause nobody will want to use the search button lol. I mean look how many threads we have that ask "What is your favorite out of all the Batman films?" and "Who is the best actor to play Batman?".

Although I like Nicholson's Joker, I know he didn't do it as well as it could have been done, and I really hope that Ledger goes all out on this (and not only does his best, but that his best is actually something good. You can have a total idiot do his best on the SATs but that doesn't mean his immense effort will give him a perfect score.)

Ledger...I'm worried about it...but I'm really, really hoping that he does so well that he surpasses Hamill.

Silverstein
difference between Hamill, is that i dont think mark hamill physically acted as the joker. or did he?

ledger will have to have the voice, the look as well as the movement(physical and verbal acting).

NoFate007
As far as I know, Hamill never was dressed up as the Joker and acted like that, but I read an interview before where they said over 50% of the movements that The Joker makes in the animated series are taken directly from what Mark does while he's recording.

Silverstein
the only time ive seen mark hamill act. with a Joker voice was as 'Cock Knocker' in jay and silent bob lol

sithsaber408
laughing out loud

NoFate007
Haha. "Hey kids! It's Mark Hamill! "

miram
Heath Ledger, I've never seen him play anything as...animated as that. Well, if anything it aught to be interesting to see, I think he might do the character justice.

cain marko
hehehe sorry its shit but i got bored n saw this thread. am new to PS lol

WrathfulDwarf
To be honest...I'm not very sold on this Ledger as the Joker stuff. I'm sure he's a great actor and all that...but I'm not just convince enough.

Mr Parker
As far as I know, Hamill never was dressed up as the Joker and acted like that, but I read an interview before where they said over 50% of the movements that The Joker makes in the animated series are taken directly from what Mark does while he's recording.

I believe it.Until I heard Hamill do the voice of the joker,I had no idea he was such a great actor.I couldnt believe that was HIM talking.This is further proof to me what a great actor he is.

wuTa
When I 1st heard he was offered the part I was hoping he would turn it down, but the more i think about it the more I could see him doing a good job as the joker, He physically resembles the Joker , and he's a good actor....The only problem is that he's losing his hair but makeup can fix that problem, plus they did a good enough job with casting in BB for me to have enough faith in that the know what there doing

DarthLazious
I for one wished they had casted Mark Hamill as the Joker.

Silverstein
if there is any mention of Mark Hamill and the title Batman Begins some nut will pop out and say:

"ohohohoh you guys are gay, batman begins is gonna be serious, not campy, blaaah no mark hamill"

anyways. I think Heath ledger looks better without the long hair. He looks more fitting for the role with shorter hair.

chase el
if there is any mention of Mark Hamill and the title Batman Begins some nut will pop out and say:

"ohohohoh you guys are gay, batman begins is gonna be serious, not campy, blaaah no mark hamill"

anyways. I think Heath ledger looks better without the long hair. He looks more fitting for the role with shorter hair.

the hair is what makes him look more like the joker. no short hair please nolan you already messed up the casting choice on the joker. Adrien Brody was so perfect.

Jimmy Buggs
adrien brody is lame. This is the best way to go. I think that 75% of the film joker wont be the joker yet if ya know what im saying.

Silverstein
paul bettany, the albino from da vinci code looks the part.

and by short hair, i didnt mean really short, but im trying to say that, heath ledger looks different with different length hair, long hair vs shorter than that.etc.

edit: CHASE EL, how dare you!! how dare you bad mouth Nolan's casting decision. After he reached into the pile of sh*t Burton and Schumacher made; Nolan reached in, and pulled out a film like Batman Begins, it's like a fresh air of proper comic book adaptions. That 'fresh air' dont come around often.

last time i checked the joker didnt have long lockes of hair...

wuTa
Hamil would have been ideal, but i'm sure noone was suprised they didnt cast him.......It depends on the artist whether or not Joker has long or short hair, but the charactor who Kane and Finger modeled the Joker after actually had pretty long hair http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:The_Man_Who_Laughs.gif

NoFate007
Most of the time, Joker has a kind of mix of "wild short hair". He doesn't have his as short as Bruce's, but doesn't have it like Sentry. But Joker's hair length is one of the least of our concerns. If Ledger sucks at the role and doesn't look like him in the face, nor does he act like him or understand him, and is either not funny at all or too over the top and cheesy, OR (this could go on for a while so I'll just stop) - then the length of his hair will not matter. A Joker that is horrible in every way but has the perfect hair = a bad Joker. Bane looked like Bane for the most part but we all know how bad of an interpretation that was.

chase el
paul bettany, the albino from da vinci code looks the part.

and by short hair, i didnt mean really short, but im trying to say that, heath ledger looks different with different length hair, long hair vs shorter than that.etc.

edit: CHASE EL, how dare you!! how dare you bad mouth Nolan's casting decision. After he reached into the pile of sh*t Burton and Schumacher made; Nolan reached in, and pulled out a film like Batman Begins, it's like a fresh air of proper comic book adaptions. That 'fresh air' dont come around often.

last time i checked the joker didnt have long lockes of hair...

Joker doesnt have short hair. period. And it was a poor choice considering how many other ppl would have suited that role better. I have faith in nolan to make it work but im also not going to give him the benefit of the doubt either. Heath Ledger has a lot to prove. Adrian Brody or lets say Mark Hamil are more logical choices... fact is fact, while Ledger might do a good job there was definately better choices. Hopefully nolans risk works, but definately doesnt get the benefit of the doubt and thats coming from a true Batmans Begins fan

NoFate007
Yeah. I absolutely loved Batman Begins (and I was so thrilled about the movie when I knew Nolan was doing it, cause I'm a huge Memento fan as well. Following was cool too - Insomnia could've been better though) and although I have faith in his vision, I just don't think he made the right choice here. Plus, he's done fantastic casting so far, which is why I think this is a bit odd.

wuTa
Originally posted by chase el
Joker doesnt have short hair. period. And it was a poor choice considering how many other ppl would have suited that role better. I have faith in nolan to make it work but im also not going to give him the benefit of the doubt either. Heath Ledger has a lot to prove. Adrian Brody or lets say Mark Hamil are more logical choices... fact is fact, while Ledger might do a good job there was definately better choices. Hopefully nolans risk works, but definately doesnt get the benefit of the doubt and thats coming from a true Batmans Begins fan

Artists like Alex Ross portray Joker with short hair, to say that he has long hair is anything but correct, and what makes you think that Adrian Brody would be such a better choice, I could see why Mark Hamil would be the better choice, but if Brody was to be cast as the Joker he would have just as much to prove as Ledger does. Hamil is the only actor with credibility to play the Joker, Brody doesn't have any more credintials than Ledger does other than pure speculations.

NoFate007
Well, although Brody and Ledger are on the same level of "they haven't played Joker before so we can't tell what they'll be like", and you're right about that, Brody does look a lot more Jokerish off the bat, and he plays weirder (and darker) characters, so it seems more plausible that he'd be better at the job. Joker shouldn't be handsome lol.

wuTa
well than Brody would be out, he's more of a pretty boy than Ledger, and I think Ledger looks more Jokerish...Just because he plays wierd dark charactors doesn't mean he would play a better or even a good Joker, if that the case than why not just cast Pee Wee Herman, and Crispin Glover has played way darker charactors than any of the actors mentioned for the role, and he looks the part more than anyone as well...Thats the actor i would have personally like to see get the part.(other than Hamil of course)

NoFate007
Glover was always one of the fan favorites too.

Silverstein
maybe they'll have some 'face prosthetics' to put on ledger once he goes through the jokers acid bath or something...not sure if he'll be smiling all the time like the burton one.lol

SpyCspider
first time I saw Heath Ledger was in "10 Things I Hate About You"....so already I've got that image of a teen in my mind. And I keep thinking he's got that strong accent.

But he smiles a lot in that movie so I can sort of picture him twisting it into an evil grin.

DarthLazious
So is this really offcial?

If so where is the sources?

Praylu
Some say he's merely been offered the role and others say he's already signed. I expect we will have to await an official announcement from Ledger or WB to be sure beyond any doubt. wink

Glover was always one of the fan favorites too.

Indeed, he was a favorite of mines.

Silverstein
SHH even has a pole asking, how people feel about Heath Ledger as the new Joker

DarthLazious
I just dont think he would make a good Joker thats all.

HellMaster93
I trust Nolan, I just don't trust his casting choices... smile

Sea King
if they use Heath Ledger they better use alot of make up cause he wouldent look the part

d@mn people trying to ruin the new batman movie mad

Altar[1stONE]
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/3567/heathisthejokerky5.jpg

Heres a manip i created, maybe people will have faith in nolans make up team and in heath.

Sea King
Originally posted by Altar
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/3567/heathisthejokerky5.jpg

Heres a manip i created, maybe people will have faith in nolans make up team and in heath.

i was just trying to do that myself big grin. but may i suggest trying to make the red on the lips a littel thicker not by much but a little.

Altar[1stONE]
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/4972/heathisthejokerts1.jpg

this better? im not going to make him all bright and gay like the last 2 batman movies. i want the gritty realism of batman begins, thats what i tried to portray.

Sea King
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/4972/heathisthejokerts1.jpg

this better? im not going to make him all bright and gay like the last 2 batman movies. i want the gritty realism of batman begins, thats what i tried to portray.

imo perfect

Altar[1stONE]
this will be my last manip upgrade, you could consider it the official. I even went further and made him even more accurate to the joker you know and love.

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/7347/heathisthejokerri2.jpg

Sea King
this will be my last manip upgrade, you could consider it the official. I even went further and made him even more accurate to the joker you know and love.

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/7347/heathisthejokerri2.jpg

i dident think he would fit the part at first but looking at that i think as long as his acting is on key it would be awsome.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Sea King
i dident think he would fit the part at first but looking at that i think as long as his acting is on key it would be awsome.

WTF?

He looks like a frickin' old granny witch.

Is it just me, or does anybody else see Phyllis Diller in that manip?

Altar[1stONE]
LMAO yeah i thought so too, so i fixed it right after.
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9703/heathisthejokerqm2.jpg

if your not satisfied well, you try doing better.

Silverstein
that pic is not a good example even being a manip. the dude has a goofy look on his face and that doesnt relate to the dark 'gritty' Joker that the movie is gonna go for.

Altar[1stONE]
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1548/heathisthejokerrr9.jpg

is this any better? i think you get the idea...im not even sure if it looks to much like heath ledger. But if they could pull it off or something like that , i guess it would be cool. Yeah its not his best picture, but he had a crazy stupid smile on so i worked with that.

NoFate007
Well the goal isn't to make it look like Heath Ledger in the movie. In fact, it should be so "The Joker" that we don't even realize that its Ledger, you know?

Altar[1stONE]
yeah i hope they make him loose weight and put a prostetic nose on . it should be pretty convincing, but who knows , some people are just saying he was offered the role. Maybe someone better will come around and take the job.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4462/bb2jokerkk0.jpg

sorry if there seems like spam, my image shack was having problems. it shouldnt be anymore, hopefully an admin will come around and delete the previous posts, because they look like they are taking up space.

NoFate007
Lazy ass mock up I did in like less than a minute. - you can tell how dedicated I was by the quality, haha.

Altar[1stONE]
i wonder if i should do a manip of that picture, ive seen some other attempts nothing to great but they were alright.

NoFate007
Eh it passes the time.

Altar[1stONE]
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/295/updateje2.jpg

yes it does laughing

NoFate007
Lol nice one. I'm glad to see someone puts more time into these than I do haha. If it were just me here we'd continue having shitty ones.

xmarksthespot
Ledger as Joker eh? shifty

cowboybatman

Batman: "I wish I knew how to quit you."

Xam
one word

EW

DarthLazious
I agree.

Bardock42
Not too bad. Ledger is a good actor. Kind of fits the body structure of Joker as well. Looking forward to it.

badabing
I thought I would post the article.

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Batman is heading into a sequel, titled "The Dark Knight," and he will face off against the Joker, this time played by Heath Ledger.

Christian Bale, the star of last year's "Batman Begins," will reprise his role as Bruce Wayne/Batman and Christopher Nolan is returning to the directing chair.

Ledger, Oscar-nominated this year for his role in "Brokeback Mountain," resurrects a murderous role memorably played in 1989 by Jack Nicholson in Tim Burton's "Batman."

"Batman Begins" was a critical and commercial hit, and relaunched the Warner Bros. franchise.

An early 2007 start date is being eyed for the sequel. Before then, Bale and Nolan will be in theaters this fall with the Disney release "The Prestige."

jgiant
yup just read that today at work...i dont know if he can pull that off, seriously he would be one of the last people on my mind EVER to play JOKER, i mean just look at his resume...

Silverstein
either:

BB2 comes out, and He's the best Joker by far, all the doubters are put to rest.

or he's Nolan's good friend.

Grimm22
I think Johnny Depp would make a better joker.

He's a great actor and he was truely ambitious about the role.

He also looks like Joker in a way.

Ledger as the joker?!!? Ugh, thats almost as bad as Katie Holmes

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by jgiant
yup just read that today at work...i dont know if he can pull that off, seriously he would be one of the last people on my mind EVER to play JOKER, i mean just look at his resume... Gay cowboy, Joker... tomayto tomahto...laughing out loud

amity75
You can't doubt the guys acting skills and I'd have hated it if they'd given the role to an actor whose name would have been bigger than the movie itself. I'm so looking forward to this.

coolmovies
ya i'll go for Robin Williams hes funny anyway whoever plays the joker it wont be better then jack nicolsons .

The Joker#1
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5641/01coverxa2.jpg http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3393/jpgtx5.png

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/541/jokercomicqz9.jpg http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4743/knightpre3pn0.jpg

Mr Parker
Again I fail to understand why people dont like the choice of Ledger as The Joker especially after looking at these pics of him.I look at these pics that have been posted of him and compare them to the pics of the joker from the comics that have been posted and he screams Joker. thumb up

amity75
Mr Parker I agree with you 100%

Silverstein
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Again I fail to understand why people dont like the choice of Ledger as The Joker especially after looking at these pics of him.I look at these pics that have been posted of him and compare them to the pics of the joker from the comics that have been posted and he screams Joker. thumb up

cool itll be interesting to see Ledger as Joker. He does bare some resemblence. Ya know what annoys me? people that name the worst actors for this role.

sick Robin Williams, Steve Carrel, Jim Carey, Sam Rockwell, Micheal Keaton?? if anyone hasnt noticed, Nolan's Batmovies are meant to be serious, not a joke. Not a stupid lame attempt like Nicholson's Joker, who tries SO desperately to be funny. 89's Joker is a joke. Nicholson is a funny dude no doubt, but i didnt laugh at the lame jokes they wrote for him. i wouldnt be suprised if Burton wrote it himself

and aren't GAY people accepted now?? im not a homo lol but i was under the influence that they were accepted since its like 2006 confused

Mr Parker
Yeah I was under the impression that these days it was okay to be gay? Yeah I can only laugh over the choices that some people have come up with like Robin Williams and even Michael keaton. laughing I am so glad that Nolan is in charge of making these Batman flicks.So far he has hit the nail right on the head on casting choices casting people who fit the role.Bale for Bruce wayne and Ledger as Joker.yeah even though Nicholson was the best part about the first batman movie,I was never sold on him because The Joker is suppose to laugh non stop.When Nicholson laughed,it was only for very brief moments.He is suppose to go nonstop for long periods like carrey did as the riddler which is why I always thought that they should have swapped roles when they were cast.Should have been Nicholson for The Riddler and Carey as The Joker.Nicholson not laughing for long periods of time like the joker does and like romero did in the 60's show,the blame there goes to Burton.It was his job to tell Nicholson he needs to laugh longer.The thing I never really cared for about Nicholson is Jack was just being Jack in that movie.He was acting no different than he did in the shining. I didnt notice that so much about Nicholson as the joker trying so desperately hard to be funny.with devito as the penguin I did,but not with Nicholson.But yeah that was one of my complains I had about Burtons Joker was Joker while being evil,is suppose to be funny at the same time.The only time Jack ever made me laugh was when he said_where does he get those wonderful toys? I DID like that bit.but that was about it.Like you said,Burton probably wrote a lot of those corny lines for nicholson to say.I wouldnt put anything past him.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by amity75
Mr Parker I agree with you 100%

cool.check my pm to you I just sent. big grin

Silverstein
The thing I never really cared for about Nicholson is Jack was just being Jack in that movie.He was acting no different than he did in the shining.

exactly.

i just found the jokes to just be...not funny at all to me. Maybe i've just been exposed to better comedy. I mean, "you stole my balloons!" *kills a guy* - doesnt really make me laugh.

Myth
Happy Dance

Scarlet_Spidey
eek! Lol ... laughing

Alec Brood
My eyes!

bakerboy
I like a lot that choice of Ledgler as the Joker. First of all, he is a great actor. The people thinks that he only did brockback mountain, but he has made a variety of different roles in cinema and theather, he is an extremely talented actor.

Second, he looks like the joker. Only picture him with white skin and face, red lips, green hair and with that smile of the joker. Also, he is tall and he could lift some weight to do the part.

In one word, PERFECT. Nolan casting choices are fantastic.

amity75
cool.check my pm to you I just sent. big grin Mr Parker you've just sent me a photo of you defecating on a picture of Sam Raimi! stick out tongue

Alec Brood
Wow, some people do not know how to get over things they don't like that aren't that important.

NPC
exactly.

i just found the jokes to just be...not funny at all to me. Maybe i've just been exposed to better comedy. I mean, "you stole my balloons!" *kills a guy* - doesnt really make me laugh.

Are you kidding me?
He asks his number one gun to hand him his gun, THEN HE SHOOTS HIM WITH IT! LOL, I was rolling. Or the part when they shoot batman in the alley an he's laying still on the ground, an one of the goons says," Check his wallet". Everyone in the theater laughed at that one. EVERY scene with Nicholson was absolutely perfect, right down to the laugh. I think the make-up could have been done a little better but the performance was awesome.
An most of the jokes were meant to be morbidly funny, maybe you didnt ever read any of the comics.

Evolution-cubed
Live Action Series Joker: Campy, not really Psycho, just a clown gone bad

Comic Book Joker: Possibly The Greatest, Most Sinister, Malevolent, villian in comic book history. Does everything in his power just to get Batman to smile. In addition, he tests the code of the hero; Regardless of what the villian does I will not kill him. Death is the only way to stop the Joker, and he knows Bats will never do it.

'89 Joker: Jack Nicholson the embodiment of the Joker, just look at his eyes. Come on: Winged freak... Terrorizes? Wait'll they get a load of ME

Since '89, no one could or would try to attempt to play the Joker because of high precedent set by the first Joker. When Batman Begins ended, you are left with the question, Who can hope to attempt this? Because that brave soul can only hope to match Nicholson's performance or create his own Joker; topping it is out of the question. Heath Ledger does not strike as the, Crazy I'm ready to kill type. (Personally I think they should bring in Hugo E Blick, Young Jack Napier in Batman '89)

Evolution-cubed
Appearence is not the point. Given the timeline of the movie, I could see,"The Killing Joke" Joker in Heath Ledger. It's personality, Ledger does not come off like he can play the sinister type

Evolution-cubed
Yeah I was under the impression that these days it was okay to be gay? Yeah I can only laugh over the choices that some people have come up with like Robin Williams and even Michael keaton. laughing I am so glad that Nolan is in charge of making these Batman flicks.So far he has hit the nail right on the head on casting choices casting people who fit the role.Bale for Bruce wayne and Ledger as Joker.yeah even though Nicholson was the best part about the first batman movie,I was never sold on him because The Joker is suppose to laugh non stop.When Nicholson laughed,it was only for very brief moments.He is suppose to go nonstop for long periods like carrey did as the riddler which is why I always thought that they should have swapped roles when they were cast.Should have been Nicholson for The Riddler and Carey as The Joker.Nicholson not laughing for long periods of time like the joker does and like romero did in the 60's show,the blame there goes to Burton.It was his job to tell Nicholson he needs to laugh longer.The thing I never really cared for about Nicholson is Jack was just being Jack in that movie.He was acting no different than he did in the shining. I didnt notice that so much about Nicholson as the joker trying so desperately hard to be funny.with devito as the penguin I did,but not with Nicholson.But yeah that was one of my complains I had about Burtons Joker was Joker while being evil,is suppose to be funny at the same time.The only time Jack ever made me laugh was when he said_where does he get those wonderful toys? I DID like that bit.but that was about it.Like you said,Burton probably wrote a lot of those corny lines for nicholson to say.I wouldnt put anything past him.

If anyone laughs at the Joker's jokes, you must have a morbid sense of humor. The dude kills for fun. His "jokes" require someone losing his/her life, or a group of people losing their lives. The term "die laughing" is not a figure of speech for him. When the Joker takes you out, best to believe you're GOING to have a smile on your face. It doesn't matter if you get the joke or not, he's the one laughing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joker_(comics)

Just a quick refesher about what the Joker is in the world of comics

bakerboy
Originally posted by Evolution-cubed
Appearence is not the point. Given the timeline of the movie, I could see,"The Killing Joke" Joker in Heath Ledger. It's personality, Ledger does not come off like he can play the sinister type

How many Heart Ledger movies have you seen?

Have you seen some of his work in theather and tv?

Have you seen movies like the order with heath ledger? because in that movie, he was pretty sinister.

He is a great actor with a variety of roles. He doesnt play the same type of character twice, he could play any role. Only wait and give him a chance, and i think that he will surprise many people.

miroku
i didn't know there was a thread on this and now we all know it's heath

Kayne Archeron
Originally posted by Evolution-cubed

it's not all of it, but it is a big part of it... otherwise, Warner Bros. wouldn't have gone to such great lengths to get Jack to do the Joker in the '89 batman movie... to this day, the guy gets 10% of the money made from the batman franchise as part of his contract for doing the joker

roughrider
I think Heath will be great - he has a wide range, and a face well-shaped to be the Joker. Christopher Nolan knows what he's doing with casting.

FistOfThe North
I don't think this Joker will have any make-up or the green suit since this is during Batman's younger days and the "Joker falling into the chem vat" thing doesn't happen till way later in Waynes life....right?

But other than that I "may" be able to see Ledger with a black on black suit, hair slicked back with a sinister disposition and intelligent as all hell.

He needs to loose weight too.

chase el
Originally posted by NPC
Are you kidding me?
He asks his number one gun to hand him his gun, THEN HE SHOOTS HIM WITH IT! LOL, I was rolling. Or the part when they shoot batman in the alley an he's laying still on the ground, an one of the goons says," Check his wallet". Everyone in the theater laughed at that one. EVERY scene with Nicholson was absolutely perfect, right down to the laugh. I think the make-up could have been done a little better but the performance was awesome.
An most of the jokes were meant to be morbidly funny, maybe you didnt ever read any of the comics.

Nicholson's Joker is nothing like the Comic Joker. Have YOU ever read the comics. The Joker is a mastermind not just a madman.

Like somone said, that was Jack being Jack. Not the Joker.

Evolution-cubed
Originally posted by chase el
Nicholson's Joker is nothing like the Comic Joker. Have YOU ever read the comics. The Joker is a mastermind not just a madman.

Like somone said, that was Jack being Jack. Not the Joker.

He turned everyday items into a killing process, while the movie didn't say, who knows how many people he took out. Although it was a very brief battle of wits and very 1989-ish, battle of wits, it was a battle of wits nonetheless. And the whole Joker not being a madman....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joker_%28comics%29

Neutro
Seriously... I have to agree with the others. 89' Joker is Jack being Jack with some of the Joker's quirks. Nothing like the Joker in The Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum, or The Dark Knight Returns. Christopher Nolan realizes this, which is why he's making The Joker in The Dark Knight like the on in The Killing Joke. Sadistically evil with a mastermind plan to kill loads of people.

wuTa
Originally posted by bakerboy
How many Heart Ledger movies have you seen?

Have you seen some of his work in theather and tv?

Have you seen movies like the order with heath ledger? because in that movie, he was pretty sinister.

He is a great actor with a variety of roles. He doesnt play the same type of character twice, he could play any role. Only wait and give him a chance, and i think that he will surprise many people.

Besides porn, The Order had some of the worst acting I ever seen in my life.

wuTa
Originally posted by bakerboy

Besides porn, The Order had some of the worst acting I ever seen in my life.

Neutro
True dat holmes.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.