Civil War vs. Infintie Crisis

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

the Darkone
Civil War

vs.

Infintie Crisis

which story arc is better right now, me personnally Civil War is kicking ass, so many twistes and turns and we are only up to Book 3.

Damn I want more! Give me more.

Psyquis52
Okay, I'm just going to say it and I don't care who I offend.

Infinite Crisis was a disappointment. It was (as usual) a weak excuse to involve everyone. It lacks Civil War's depth, reality (I mean that on a real world problem level), and controversy.

Civil War is a great excuse to throw in characters long time dead and kill off charcters as they see fit. It's the best idea to involve a lot of characters in one plot line that I think I've ever seen.

It beats the Infinity Guantlet, War, and Crusade. It's better than the Inferno and Onslaught. More interesting than the Secret Wars and twice as compelling as the whole Heroes Reborn line. It's funny to because it's so simple. It really is a simple idea with a lot of wicked twists.

thundercracker
Originally posted by Psyquis52

Civil War is a great excuse to throw in characters long time dead and kill off charcters as they see fit. It's the best idea to involve a lot of characters in one plot line that I think I've ever seen.

It beats the Infinity Guantlet, War, and Crusade. It's better than the Inferno and Onslaught. More interesting than the Secret Wars and twice as compelling as the whole Heroes Reborn line. It's funny to because it's so simple. It really is a simple idea with a lot of wicked twists.

yeah what he said

Lucid Lui
Infinite Crisis started out really well, but just lost it at the end.

Civil War has started out really well, and could still lose it at the end.

But really, Civil War is already alot better than IC was, IMO.

Psyquis52
Originally posted by Lucid Lui
Infinite Crisis started out really well, but just lost it at the end.

Civil War has started out really well, and could still lose it at the end.

But really, Civil War is already alot better than IC was, IMO.

I agree that Infinite Crisis showed promise at first.

If it ended with a real war between heroes and villains rather than just a random set of implied images then it could have been great.

For instance:
If we could have actually seen the fight between Deathstroke - Nightwing - Batman and Robin that would've been nice. Or if we could have seen how many people Black Adam takes down rather than just watching him pull off Amazo's head like it was a toy then it would have been nice.

But we don't get that. We get one showing of Bane breaking someone's back (not even sure who that was) and one or two pictures of total chaos. DETAILS MAN! I want @#$%ing details!

grey fox
If they ended infinite crisis on issue #6 then it would have been perfect....

Psyquis52
Originally posted by grey fox
If they ended infinite crisis on issue #6 then it would have been perfect.... Pretty much.

Rewmac
Let's wait for the end of Civil War, but I say Civil War has bigger blow by now.

smiley8
Civil war has started off good but like rewmac has said wait till the end it might be crap. IMO IC was brilliant, the end was a bit below standard but overall it did well.

willRules
Well I think its obvious how Civil War will end. I mean can anyone really see every superhero in the MU after this event, running around without secret identities? I can't.

I preferred Civil war (so far) to infinite crisis, but the infinite crisis tie ins (Villains united, Omac project) were great smile

Rewmac
I'll say the first 3 issues of Infinite Crisis were good too.

King KAM
Originally posted by Psyquis52
Okay, I'm just going to say it and I don't care who I offend.

Infinite Crisis was a disappointment. It was (as usual) a weak excuse to involve everyone. It lacks Civil War's depth, reality (I mean that on a real world problem level), and controversy.

It beats the Infinity Guantlet, War, and Crusade. It's better than the Inferno and Onslaught. More interesting than the Secret Wars and twice as compelling as the whole Heroes Reborn line. It's funny to because it's so simple. It really is a simple idea with a lot of wicked twists. this is well said but already pretty much universally known.

as for Civil war, yes it is good, great even....but its scale cant be compared to infinity gauntlet or other small cross-overs, this is a MAJOR crossover, and so far so good, so what???? I want it to end BETTER than it has started, or else i wouldve been better off waiting for the Ultimates.

marvelprince
I thought Infinite Crisis was good, but there a lot of things that keep it from being really great. There a bunch of tie-ins that you had to read to comprehend the entire story, it was fairly predictable IMO and at the end of the day despite all the supposedly huge changes that were gonna be made I have yet to see one. OMG, Wonder-woman was a founding JLA member! Yea, real exciting.

Civil War on the other hand IMO is already better than anything we've seen from Infinite Crisis. Other than it being so grounded in reality which really makes you think, its been a wild ride so far with so many things that have happened already where you know that even if they end the war things won't be the same as they were before.

Juntai
Tie. Love em both. Love comics. Love good stories. Love good characters.

People didnt come with that "IC was a dissapointment" crap until after they saw Superman save the day again, and given that he's the most hated on the forum it's easy to understand why.

By the end of issue 3, then 4, then 5, then 6, everyone was still OMG OMG KGDSO STHIS IS SOOOO AWESSOMEEEEEEE. 7 comes... and then the story was crap? Bite me.

Civil War at this point is no better or worse than Crisis was at the same point.

pr1983
IC was being built up for years, so you have to look at it as a whole, not just seven issues, which imo makes it quite an achievement in comics...

and as for IC #7, if they were going to show all the fights (and believe me when i say i'd have loved to see em as much as anyone), it would have taken twice the amount of pages as the standard comic did, plus it would have been more expensive too... i don't think they could have split it though, i think the events in the last issue needed to be contained within one comic...

Civil War seems good, though Marvel seems to use these 'big events' a little too often imo... i mean, house of m (which was disappointing) is only a over a few months...

Rewmac
Originally posted by Juntai

People didnt come with that "IC was a dissapointment" crap until after they saw Superman save the day again, and given that he's the most hated on the forum it's easy to understand why.

By the end of issue 3, then 4, then 5, then 6, everyone was still OMG OMG KGDSO STHIS IS SOOOO AWESSOMEEEEEEE. 7 comes... and then the story was crap? Bite me.

Civil War at this point is no better or worse than Crisis was at the same point. We can't help that DC puts Superman always up to the job. In my opinion as a Superman fan it's sometimes annoying for me too. But he is hated because he is popular and coz of his fanboys and coz of the people who go the vs. thread and say "SPEEDBLITZ" every single time. Same thing with Wolverine. He was once cool. I even like him much. But now he is more disliked to me. IC wasn't that bad. But now Civil War is the case, so I'm just looking forward to it. Especially now coz "Thor" returned.

pr1983
Originally posted by Rewmac
We can't help that DC puts Superman always up to the job. In my opinion as a Superman fan it's sometimes annoying for me too. But he is hated because he is popular and coz of his fanboys and coz of the people who go the vs. thread and say "SPEEDBLITZ" every single time. Same thing with Wolverine. He was once cool. I even like him much. But now he is more disliked to me. IC wasn't that bad. But now Civil War is the case, so I'm just looking forward to it. Especially now coz "Thor" returned.

Thing i dont get is, Superman had very little in terms of appearences in IC, he only really came into it in the last two issues...

Rewmac
He always saves the day big grin You forget that mad shifty big grin

xmarksthespot
Not saying it hasn't been pretty good so far... but the basic premise of Civil War is kinda intrinsically flawed...

pr1983
Originally posted by Rewmac
He always saves the day big grin You forget that mad shifty big grin

Well he is Superman, thats what he's there for if nothing else... and Earth 2 Supes did some of the work too, including smacking doomsday after supes had been hit...

Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Not saying it hasn't been pretty good so far... but the basic premise of Civil War is kinda intrinsically flawed...

as in how it cant last?

HellMaster93
IC was good... Civil War's GREAT! And if you read tie ins, IC really is so much better...

A.J
I read comics for the fights, weve saw like 1 fight from cival war, so IC is better so far

marvelprince

Civil War at this point is no better or worse than Crisis was at the same point.

Not true. While I can't speak for everyone else I expected Superman to come in and save the day. In fact I was surprised he did as little as he did. But for something that was soo hyped up, that was planned for so long in advance the end left me very dissapointed. A bunch of D-listers and Superboy died? Nothing else has fundementally changed? Also did you really thing all the tie-ins were necessary. I have nothing against tie-ins, but when reading tie-ins are essential to understanding the main story is when I get angry. I thought it was a solid story with great characterizaton but it seemed to me that all that happened was that a bunch of heroes most people don't care about anyway died

Juntai
Originally posted by marvelprince
Not true. While I can't speak for everyone else I expected Superman to come in and save the day. In fact I was surprised he did as little as he did. But for something that was soo hyped up, that was planned for so long in advance the end left me very dissapointed. A bunch of D-listers and Superboy died? Nothing else has fundementally changed? Also did you really thing all the tie-ins were necessary. I have nothing against tie-ins, but when reading tie-ins are essential to understanding the main story is when I get angry. I thought it was a solid story with great characterizaton but it seemed to me that all that happened was that a bunch of heroes most people don't care about anyway died And the return of Donna Troy? And Specte killing off tons of characters who have shaped the DCU for years? Captain Marvel becoming the new Shazam? JLA falling apart? The Trinity losing complete faith in one another? LOTS happened in the Crisis or changed because of it or in its resolution.. People juse choose not to remember, or something... I dunno.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by pr1983
as in how it cant last? Sort of. As in Marvel seems to want to make the theme civil liberties.... with government control being the subtle bad guy...

The civil liberty to dress up and fight crime as a vigilante? (Way to diminish actual civil rights movements...) ... It's trying to apply a real world analogue to a situation where it doesn't really suit.

The mutant registration act was an okay civil liberties theme analogue because it was about a minority being discriminated due to something beyond their control and wanting to be treated with equal integrity.

In civil war the anti- people are fighting for their "right?" to be above the law... their "right?" to perform these activities by their own choice... just doesn't really fly and seems kinda silly if you really think about it.

It begs the question why have people even allowed this to go on at all? A question that doesn't seem to have been addressed in full as yet and probably won't. The status quo in comics is ordinary people have simply accepted heroes "just because". Civil War is no Watchmen

And yes it can't last, in the end they can't get rid of the heroes... this is the world of comic heroes... Marvel without heroes = bankrupt.. something will reconcile the two groups.

marvelprince
And the return of Donna Troy? And Specte killing off tons of characters who have shaped the DCU for years? Captain Marvel becoming the new Shazam? JLA falling apart? The Trinity losing complete faith in one another? LOTS happened in the Crisis or changed because of it or in its resolution.. People juse choose not to remember, or something... I dunno.

I meant the aftermath of Infinite Crisis. Donna didn't return during Infinite Crisis. Captain Marvel has not become the new Shazaam yet (if he did I missed it). JLA fell apart before the Crisis. Trinity lost faith in each beofre the Crisis. This my point. All these things happened in the tie-ins/lead ups, not in the series itself

Juntai
I meant the aftermath of Infinite Crisis. Donna didn't return during Infinite Crisis. Captain Marvel has not become the new Shazaam yet (if he did I missed it). JLA fell apart before the Crisis. Trinity lost faith in each beofre the Crisis. This my point. All these things happened in the tie-ins/lead ups, not in the series itself You mean the core 7 issues alone.. then? All of those things certainly happened while the Crisis was happening and are certainly part of it, given that much of what I named was directly influenced by Alexander Luthor and SBP and their machinations.

Captain Marvel pretty much replaced Shazam already, you missed it I giess, he had to go into the newly reformed Rock of Eternity because only his magic could bind it together in the Day of Vengeance Special that happened mid-Crisis. That's why he's seen in the new costume on the final pages of IC.

marvelprince
You mean the core 7 issues alone.. then? All of those things certainly happened while the Crisis was happening and are certainly part of it, given that much of what I named was directly influenced by Alexander Luthor and SBP and their machinations.

Captain Marvel pretty much replaced Shazam already, you missed it I giess, he had to go into the newly reformed Rock of Eternity because only his magic could bind it together in the Day of Vengeance Special that happened mid-Crisis. That's why he's seen in the new costume on the final pages of IC.

Yes I meant the core issues. Thinking about it again its kinda sad big things like those were relegated to tie in. Like I said, even though I read the tie-ins, I didn't like that I essentially had to in order to know what was going on. The event on the whole was very well done and I applaud DC for taking so much time into carefully crafting the story. Johns was stellar and I loved his take on the characters. What I don't like is that aftermath. For an event as big as Crisis something bigger should have come out of it all. Instead we have basically the same old status quo, with a few new faces in old roles to make it look interesting

willRules
I loved Villains united and I have read most of OMAC project and its great so far. I think i prefer the tie ins to infinite crisis itself at the moment......................

marvelprince
Originally posted by willRules
I loved Villains united and I have read most of OMAC project and its great so far. I think i prefer the tie ins to infinite crisis itself at the moment......................

Yup. That's my thing with it. Seems like all the big things were happening outside of the main series itself

Juntai
Yes I meant the core issues. Thinking about it again its kinda sad big things like those were relegated to tie in. Like I said, even though I read the tie-ins, I didn't like that I essentially had to in order to know what was going on. The event on the whole was very well done and I applaud DC for taking so much time into carefully crafting the story. Johns was stellar and I loved his take on the characters. What I don't like is that aftermath. For an event as big as Crisis something bigger should have come out of it all. Instead we have basically the same old status quo, with a few new faces in old roles to make it look interesting And the old Gods are gone or destroyed , it's a new era of magic, the lords of chaos and order are gone...and donna is the harbinger, and the Monitors returned now, and basically another knot in time like in the Crisis, and new faces, and history changes.... the DCU took a major facelift. Like I said, most just choose to ignore it or didn't read the tie ins. You didn't have to read them, or may not have read them all, and I'll give you that everything you wanted to happen in the core issues might have happened in tie ines... but it doesn't mean they didn't happen/weren't part of Crisis and didn't change the entire DCU to its foundations.

Juntai
If we were to compare just the core issues of Crisis and core issues of Civil War, we have . .. . what cap jumped out of a window, Iron Man unmasks himself and proposes that heros should sign up, Spiderman unmasks himself... a little brawl in number 3, and Thor breaks it up?

How does that compare to the immensity of what happened in the Crisis core issies? The sheer scale of Crisis alone is daunting in comparison, without even considering what actually transpired.

Civil War is a good story, and I'm loving in, but don't critize one about the events, when the other has nothing that compares to it in immensity.

marvelprince
And the old Gods are gone or destroyed , it's a new era of magic, the lords of chaos and order are gone...and donna is the harbinger, and the Monitors returned now, and basically another knot in time like in the Crisis, and new faces, and history changes.... the DCU took a major facelift. Like I said, most just choose to ignore it or didn't read the tie ins. You didn't have to read them, or may not have read them all, and I'll give you that everything you wanted to happen in the core issues might have happened in tie ines... but it doesn't mean they didn't happen/weren't part of Crisis and didn't change the entire DCU to its foundations.

Dude, not disputing nothing happened, its that nothing mauch happened in the core issues. I don't know why we're going back to this. I did read all the tie ins except for Rann/Thannager War, which I'm looking into getting now, so I know what all happened. Its just that most of it was relegated to the sidelines. I'll give you that the DCU has foundamentally changed though, that no one can argue with. I'd also have liked to see some more reaction to the big 3 especially. At the end of the Crisis she seemed pretty chipper for someone whose race is gone forever. Clark didn't even seem to Bat an eye at Conner's death. And what about Batman feeling some sort of elation over the fact that Nightwing didn't die. Its not that nothing happened in the DCU after Crisis, its that I didn't get to see how all the heroes (mostly the big 3) have dealt with what happened

willRules
Yup. That's my thing with it. Seems like all the big things were happening outside of the main series itself

I bought the OMAC project tb this morning and it also includes the countdown to IC where Blue Beetle dies. I thought it was pretty decent thumb up big grin

marvelprince
If we were to compare just the core issues of Crisis and core issues of Civil War, we have . .. . what cap jumped out of a window, Iron Man unmasks himself and proposes that heros should sign up, Spiderman unmasks himself... a little brawl in number 3, and Thor breaks it up?

How does that compare to the immensity of what happened in the Crisis core issies? The sheer scale of Crisis alone is daunting in comparison, without even considering what actually transpired.

Civil War is a good story, and I'm loving in, but don't critize one about the events, when the other has nothing that compares to it in immensity.

Are you seriously trying to draw comparison between an event that involved countless Earth's and spanned the cosmo's to one where the US government is trying to regulate heroes. You can't just look at it, you most compare them relatively. First off Civil War is more real and more believeable than IC and hence why for many its better. Its something we can actually envision happening in a world where heroes exist. Crisis may have been huge but the big characters were rarely touched. Spider-Man unmasks to the world. How could you not see that as big? We are not just having some D-listers screwed with. We have Captain America being hunted by Iron Man. We don't have the Justice League breaking up just to form again tomorrow. We have the potential break down of a family, the Fantastic Four.

For me, again all my opinion, I like Civil War better cause its involving Marvel's big characters and really throwing them for loops. We also get to really see how they feel through the whole thing. We got excellent characterization of the villian but not much else in IC. Civil War works on a much smaller scale and yet it directly involves its big characters. We see their thoughts, their feelings and motivation. Crisis was set on a much bigger scale but no matter how you slice it nothing that happened in Crisis can compare to Spider-Man unmasking to the whole world

Juntai
Are you seriously trying to draw comparison between an event that involved countless Earth's and spanned the cosmo's to one where the US government is trying to regulate heroes. You can't just look at it, you most compare them relatively. First off Civil War is more real and more believeable than IC and hence why for many its better. Its something we can actually envision happening in a world where heroes exist. Crisis may have been huge but the big characters were rarely touched. Spider-Man unmasks to the world. How could you not see that as big? We are not just having some D-listers screwed with. We have Captain America being hunted by Iron Man. We don't have the Justice League breaking up just to form again tomorrow. We have the potential break down of a family, the Fantastic Four.

For me, again all my opinion, I like Civil War better cause its involving Marvel's big characters and really throwing them for loops. We also get to really see how they feel through the whole thing. We got excellent characterization of the villian but not much else in IC. Civil War works on a much smaller scale and yet it directly involves its big characters. We see their thoughts, their feelings and motivation. Crisis was set on a much bigger scale but no matter how you slice it nothing that happened in Crisis can compare to Spider-Man unmasking to the whole world See, I felt that the return of the characters Earth 2 Superman, Alexander Luthor and Superboy Prime alone was equally as large. Killing Superboy was huge. Killing Earth 2 Superman, the character that built the company was huge. And that's just a few examples of what happened in core issues alone.

Like I said, the sheer scope is just completely different scales. Crisis was huge event after huge event, nearly every issue, even in tie ins, across nearly 2 years.

If we compared Civil War and Identity Crisis, which it is far more comparable to at this point... I'll say the way things are going now, Civil War could one up it, but I'll need to see it's conclusion first, since that story was strong from beginning to end.

Juntai
Dude, not disputing nothing happened, its that nothing mauch happened in the core issues. I don't know why we're going back to this. I did read all the tie ins except for Rann/Thannager War, which I'm looking into getting now, so I know what all happened. Its just that most of it was relegated to the sidelines. I'll give you that the DCU has foundamentally changed though, that no one can argue with. I'd also have liked to see some more reaction to the big 3 especially. At the end of the Crisis she seemed pretty chipper for someone whose race is gone forever. Clark didn't even seem to Bat an eye at Conner's death. And what about Batman feeling some sort of elation over the fact that Nightwing didn't die. Its not that nothing happened in the DCU after Crisis, its that I didn't get to see how all the heroes (mostly the big 3) have dealt with what happened That's what 52 is about, after the Crisis,...filling in those gaps... we didn't get to see that in characters titles because it skipped an entire year... and some are happening in character titles as we speak, like the relationship changes between Batman and Robin, how the characters mourn over Superboy in Titans and other titles, etc.

marvelprince
See, I felt that the return of the characters Earth 2 Superman, Alexander Luthor and Superboy Prime alone was equally as large. Killing Superboy was huge. Killing Earth 2 Superman, the character that built the company was huge. And that's just a few examples of what happened in core issues alone.

Like I said, the sheer scope is just completely different scales. Crisis was huge event after huge event, nearly every issue, even in tie ins, across nearly 2 years.

If we compared Civil War and Identity Crisis, which it is far more comparable to at this point... I'll say the way things are going now, Civil War could one up it, but I'll need to see it's conclusion first, since that story was strong from beginning to end.

Earth 2 Superman was for the most part forgotten. I know a lot of people who didn't even know who that was. Same with Alex and Superboy Prime. Only long times fans could really appreciatte them. Identity Crisis was nothing to Civil War. I'm not gonna try explain how Civil War is as huge as Infinite Crisis cause then that would branch into how each of the two companies are fundamentally different. For all intents and purposes IC and CW are the biggest things to happen to both companies. IC for the sheer scope of it all and CW for its realism and honesty. Obviously more stuff has happened as a result of IC and you feel thats what makes it so great. I feel that those changes are cosmetic cause I have yet to see the effect of those changes. You feel CW is ok but not much has happened yet. I agree not much has happened but the things that have happened have truly meant something. The scope is entirely meaningless if the implications aren't far reaching. Conversely a lot of things could have happened that left nothing much changed.

You feel Infinite Crisis was terrific, and I agree that it was an excellent story. But I feel nothing much has changed despite all the things that have changed (I hope that makes sense). I can respect that. Likewise I think Civil War is great and so far big things have happened. You feel that nothing much has gone on. Its all about personal opinion and tastes. I'd hazard a guess that are more of a DC fan fan no?

grey fox
Actually let me reiterate my earlier phrases , they should have left it at half of seven. None of this 'Take over the city crap' just SPB going nuts and taking out buildings while screaming he wants to go home .

The Supes and Kal L get involved as do the Gl's , the issue ends in the same way but just doesn't suck as much.

grey fox
For all intents and purposes IC and CW are the biggest things to happen to both companies.

Nah , Infinite crisis is a gnat compared to COIE.

marvelprince
Originally posted by grey fox
Nah , Infinite crisis is a gnat compared to COIE.

I meant recently. And I agree with what you said earlier. What was the need for a society if you have Superboy Prime willing to go all batsh** crazy for you?

pr1983
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Sort of. As in Marvel seems to want to make the theme civil liberties.... with government control being the subtle bad guy...

The civil liberty to dress up and fight crime as a vigilante? (Way to diminish actual civil rights movements...) ... It's trying to apply a real world analogue to a situation where it doesn't really suit.

The mutant registration act was an okay civil liberties theme analogue because it was about a minority being discriminated due to something beyond their control and wanting to be treated with equal integrity.

In civil war the anti- people are fighting for their "right?" to be above the law... their "right?" to perform these activities by their own choice... just doesn't really fly and seems kinda silly if you really think about it.

It begs the question why have people even allowed this to go on at all? A question that doesn't seem to have been addressed in full as yet and probably won't. The status quo in comics is ordinary people have simply accepted heroes "just because". Civil War is no Watchmen

And yes it can't last, in the end they can't get rid of the heroes... this is the world of comic heroes... Marvel without heroes = bankrupt.. something will reconcile the two groups.

Ah, i know what you mean, and i agree...

Validus
Comparing the first 3 issues of each, I like IC much more. IC hit its peak in #4 with the Flashes sacrifice and then kind of fell apart towards the end though #6 was also great.

Hindsight is 20/20 though. Everyone loves the big crossover as its happening and engulfing all their favorite books.

Big Sexy
Actually infinite crises to me seemed to fall apart at the end. Civil, so far has been excellent and has sparked a big political debate, for me its just more relatable in sense, and I like the art work better. Though I read both and more went down with IC, this grabs me more as a reader.

Darth Vicious
IC didnt leave up to the build up. Half way through the series I was either bored, didnt care or wondering were it was heading. Im not saying it was bad but it wasnt what I expected and the ending was kinda crappy. Superman is like Marvels X-men, for every new Xtitle that comes along a new Supersomething gets created. Superman,Superboy,OldSuperman,Supergirl,PowerGirl,
Superboy Prime, the could make the JLA just with them. Civil War is being great so far, I really dont know how is gonna end but pretty much everyone can say its been interesting and pretty entertaining so far. Each new issue being a bit better than the last.

Psyquis52
The best thing about Civil War is what it's done to the fans.

People are being split right down the middle. For/Against - Opposed/Supporting - Iron Man/Captain America.

Lot's of people are supporting totally different sides. This alone IMO makes Civil War a more intriguing story than IC. I was disappointed with IC but it had nothing to do with Superman. The primary bad guy was a Luthor and a Superperson! If Superman didn't shut them down I would have been disappointed. My disappointment is totally personal.
I like Civil War better because I prefer this type of conflict better.

Grimm22
Civil War is awesome, yet it has yet to top Infinite Crisis #4 or #6 big grin

I will admit issue's #5 and #7 were dissapointments but these are two of the greatest issues in comics I have ever read cool

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.