Mandarin as Iron Man movie villain!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deathstroke
What does everyone think of Favreau's decision to go with the Mandarin as the villain?

NoFate007
I thought he was saying that Mandarin had no chance of being the villain because he wanted it all to be realistic and magic rings makes no sense?

Praylu
No it's true, he's the new villain.

KillAll
i think its a great idea.

redcaped
We're not in the 80s or 90s...it's time to pop the comics.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by redcaped
We're not in the 80s or 90s...it's time to pop the comics.

I agree. This is getting out of hand.

roughrider
Mandarin is fine with me. Have to make the rings logical, though.
So - who's famous and Chinese, to get casted for this role?

KillAll
the guy that did shang tsung in mortal combat?

roughrider
Ken Watanabe - The Last Samurai, Batman Begins - is very famous and a good actor, but he's Japanese.
It would be typical Hollywood though, to cast any kind of Asian for the role. Look at all the Non-Japanese actresses in Memoirs Of A Geisha.

NoFate007
I don't think it matters what real ethnicity people are, as long as they look like the ethnicity of the character they're playing. I wouldn't be upset if they cast an Irish person to play a German part if they really looked German, would you? I mean, should they only get Jewish people to play prisoners in Holocaust films? lol

Idk who could play Mandarin...particularly cause I don't know how they can do Mandarin without totally killing off any realism that they want to build up. I'd have preferred a Justin Hammer + Spymaster + Titanium Man or something like that.

Silverstein
i know nothing about the ironman villains, describe this Mandarin villain

Adam Warlock
Mandarin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_%28comics%29

Jimmy Buggs
Ironman should fight fing fang

MuffinmanMike
It makes perfect sense. They can go for a "Technology vs Magic" thing.

The entire movie could be Tony insisting it's not MAGIC, and trying to fight like it's some sort of technology. Trying to "reverse engineer" his way around it, until finally accepting it might not be science after all.

roughrider
I didn't realize Mandarian was only half-chinese. His mother was an english noblewoman.

Silverstein
i got a cool idea:

Iron Man stops a bank robbery for example.

Robber#1: "who the hell are yooou?!"

Iron Man steps into frame: "I, AM IRON MAN!"

*cue the iron man song* lol

Scoobless
Mandarin???.... he would suck in a film

NoFate007
Well apparently he's gonna suck in 2008's Iron Man now haha.

roughrider
Here's the poster from Comicon.

Darth Vegas
It should've been Crimson Dynamo or Titanium man.

Hell, I'm not complaining.

I'm just glad they're coming out with an Iron Man movie PERIOD.

K3VIL
Two guys in armor who will just beat the crap out of each other in NY City would be cool, but come on, wanna make it a simple action sci-fi movie?
Mandarin is a criminal mastermind, a genious on par with Stark, and his mastery on martial arts plus his ten power rings granted him to give IM various run for his life.
It would be great to see IM breaking into the flyin fortress of the Mandarin and find him wearing a cape and an elegant, loyal costume, saying:
I've been waiting for you Iron Man, this ends now, you fool, you worshipper of technology!

I've been insulted at the Larry King show, but this is just crap!

Richv1
The Mandarin is a great villian. His son who is taking his place beat Iron Man without uses the rings. He just used his martial arts skills.

Deathstroke
I thought the power rings were just alien technology. I didn't think that they were magical.

roughrider
Since he's just half-asian, who are some famous half-asian actors?

Dean Cain, Russell Wong, and Keanu Reeves shifty ...there's a few.

NoFate007
Lol yeah imagine that. "Woah, Iron Man, like, I'm totally the Mandarin. Gnarly."

Validus
I wonder if they can pull off Mandarin without being cheesy.

Silverstein
Originally posted by roughrider
Since he's just half-asian, who are some famous half-asian actors?

Dean Cain, Russell Wong, and Keanu Reeves shifty ...there's a few.

Keannu is half asian?! whoa lol

i remember Keanu played an indian in a movie. He played Siddharta in 'The Little Buddha'

They put some stuff on his skin to make him dark, and he did one of those cheap indian imitations with his voice laughing , it was the worst...all the other 'indian characters' were played by actually indians (India indian)

roughrider
Yep - Keanu's father was chinese/hawaiian; his mother a caucasian canadian.

Ultraman Baltan
I vote 100% for Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa. He's the only guy I can see as Mandarin.

pulsar
Originally posted by Darth Vegas
It should've been Crimson Dynamo or Titanium man.

Hell, I'm not complaining.

I'm just glad they're coming out with an Iron Man movie PERIOD.

The Mandarin's rings weren't magic, but some kind of advanced science, like remote controls and laser beams might seem like magic to someone who doesn't know how they work. So the Mandarin should use super science and only pretend it is magic, as any illusionist would do.

If done correctly he'd be great, hope they get someone who looks chinese, more like Bruce Lee than David Carridine, who only pretended he was Chinese.

pulsar
They had John Wayne play a Mongolian in the Conguerer one of his less known roles they should have gotten a Mongolian or at least an oriental to play the part. Marlo Thomas played an oriental on an episode of Bonanza which looked silly when compared with Hop sing a real oriental. They also had Ricardo Montebon play an oriental on Star Trek even though he is Hispanic not oriental. A real oriental should play the part of the Mandarin.

Darth Vicious
When was the last time they even used the Mandarin in the comic books?

Scoobless
Originally posted by Richv1
The Mandarin is a great villian. His son who is taking his place beat Iron Man without uses the rings. He just used his martial arts skills.

Biggest sack of PIS crap ever written in an Iron Man (or any other) book.

Originally posted by Darth Vicious
When was the last time they even used the Mandarin in the comic books?

The original Mandarin is dead, his hands (with the rings still attached) were given to his son, Temugin, who is the new Mandarin

Arashi13
I think they need to steer away from the Mandarin and get another villian. I would suggest Magneto, but his magnetism would really frustrate the whole film with the two dudes stuck together like that.

GreatMuta
If memeory serves, Mandarin is Iron Man's earliest "real" foe! Why didn't people balk at the idea of scarecrow (not a a-list bat villan) appear in Batman begins. let mandarin have his fun in the sun. Let an Asian play....an Asian (< is that PC?) u get the idea. Mandarin should be loads of CG fun with all those rings. He was a pretty decent villan in the comics and with the right script he should translate well on screen!

Trolt
Actually i like the idea of Tech vs Something that is not tech.

IM vs guys like crimson dyanamo would be like robocop6 , whereas having Tech vs Magic...that would be interesting.

Cpt Fukwitchoo
Mandarin doesn't use magic ... it's just advanced alien tech

Ethereal
Originally posted by Arashi13
I think they need to steer away from the Mandarin and get another villian. I would suggest Magneto, but his magnetism would really frustrate the whole film with the two dudes stuck together like that.

lmao

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.