Uh-Oh! Registry Problems....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ILoveMyDaniel
Alright I'll start off by saying sorry for making so many threads in the Computer Help forum but my computer is a nuisance and I'll be one if I have to. I THINK I finally figured out what the problem is with my images and Windows Explorer and PSP program. I was googling some stuff and I noticed that missing/deleted registry files can cause images to mess up and screw up the computer and a while back I ran some registry programs and spybot and me being a retard didn't know what I was doing so I think (well, I know) I deleted some registry files but I don't know which I deleted, how to get them back, where exactly the registry files are, etc. I'd use system restore but that caused a big mishap on my old computer and we had to get a new one and I googled some information on it and it tells me that system restore isn't that effective anyway so can anyone help me out?

Please and Thanks.

Bloigen
Reformat your computer. srug

El_NINO
Originally posted by ILoveMyDaniel
Alright I'll start off by saying sorry for making so many threads in the Computer Help forum but my computer is a nuisance and I'll be one if I have to. I THINK I finally figured out what the problem is with my images and Windows Explorer and PSP program. I was googling some stuff and I noticed that missing/deleted registry files can cause images to mess up and screw up the computer and a while back I ran some registry programs and spybot and me being a retard didn't know what I was doing so I think (well, I know) I deleted some registry files but I don't know which I deleted, how to get them back, where exactly the registry files are, etc. I'd use system restore but that caused a big mishap on my old computer and we had to get a new one and I googled some information on it and it tells me that system restore isn't that effective anyway so can anyone help me out?

Please and Thanks.

Its simple.... your gonna have to reformat. The age old debate of why WINDOWS isnt more like a MAC where you cant touch the registry unless your the 'super-user'. Anyways to answer your question, once you delete registry keys thats it there gone forever. A system restore is only for going back to previous states such as before you installed DIVX lets say. Its just to prevent a bad install thats all. Your pretty lucky you didnt touch the 'kernel' which is the engine of WINDOWS because if youd have, you wouldnt have been able to even boot your PC to windows.

Recommendation: Burn any files that you dont want deleted permanently to a CD or USB Flash Drive and install windows again. Its the only solution left now that you had to touch the registry. Lesson learned: never touch the registry unless you know how to.

I hope that answers your question.

TOH
Originally posted by Bloigen
Reformat your computer. srug
thats pretty much it

Vinny Valentine
Use my Simple Step Program.

Dump Daniel.
Take your computer on a date.
Have Interdisk with it.
Have baby Drives
Get a Divorce.
Get a Good Computer.

ILoveMyDaniel
Originally posted by El_NINO
Its simple.... your gonna have to reformat. The age old debate of why WINDOWS isnt more like a MAC where you cant touch the registry unless your the 'super-user'. Anyways to answer your question, once you delete registry keys thats it there gone forever. A system restore is only for going back to previous states such as before you installed DIVX lets say. Its just to prevent a bad install thats all. Your pretty lucky you didnt touch the 'kernel' which is the engine of WINDOWS because if youd have, you wouldnt have been able to even boot your PC to windows.

Recommendation: Burn any files that you dont want deleted permanently to a CD or USB Flash Drive and install windows again. Its the only solution left now that you had to touch the registry. Lesson learned: never touch the registry unless you know how to.

I hope that answers your question.
mad Is there anyway I can reformat without losing all of my files? I have 6000+ files of my own and not enough cd's to burn them to. There are really important files so I can't exactly just forget about them.

El_NINO
mad Is there anyway I can reformat without losing all of my files? I have 6000+ files of my own and not enough cd's to burn them to. There are really important files so I can't exactly just forget about them.

There is a way to do it, if you place your windows installation cd in while in windows, you can select to create a backup file on your hard drive and what that does is simple take every file thats there right now and it will place it in save it to your hard drive and once your done reinstalling windows you can go into your C: drive and go into the backup files. You need to select to reinstall windows in order to do this. The downside is it will take up space but you can always delete the folder.

ILoveMyDaniel
There is a way to do it, if you place your windows installation cd in while in windows, you can select to create a backup file on your hard drive and what that does is simple take every file thats there right now and it will place it in save it to your hard drive and once your done reinstalling windows you can go into your C: drive and go into the backup files. You need to select to reinstall windows in order to do this. The downside is it will take up space but you can always delete the folder.
Sweet, would you mind explaining that really really well to me, like step by step?! I just want to get this right so I don't screw up and lose my important pictures/music because then I'd flip out. Thank you.

El_NINO
Sweet, would you mind explaining that really really well to me, like step by step?! I just want to get this right so I don't screw up and lose my important pictures/music because then I'd flip out. Thank you.

Its gonna cost you stick out tongue

Lets say... oh... a kiss maybe roll eyes (sarcastic)

ILoveMyDaniel
Its gonna cost you stick out tongue

Lets say... oh... a kiss maybe roll eyes (sarcastic)
Very funny...c'mon man...cry

Well, while you're writing this possibly loooooong and time consuming detailed description on instuctions....I have a bigger problem. I have to find my recovery cd (or disk, whichever.) I've looked high and low for the damn thing and can't find it.....

El_NINO
So you cant find the Windows Installation cd? If you cant find that we cant do anything.

ILoveMyDaniel
So you cant find the Windows Installation cd? If you cant find that we cant do anything.
My brother is getting it for me tonight....so...I can do it if you tell me how to when he gets the cd for me.

El_NINO
So lets get started then.

WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL:

If you have WINDOWS XP PRO then all you have to do is click on start>run and enter (Ntbackup.exe) no brackets.

Step 1) Then when the wizard comes up click next.

Step 2) Make sure 'Backup files and settings' is selected and click next.

Step 3) On this screen select 'Let me choose what to backup' and click next.

Step 4) Choose what Files and Folders you want to backup by checking them off. Once you have finished doing so click on next.

Step 5) Choose where to save the backup files by clicking on browse then name the backup file to what ever you want. (To do this step you need to make sure you know the final size of the entire backup because if you dont have enough Hard Drive space then you wont be able to save anything.)

Step 6) Click next and then click on finish.

WINDOWS XP HOME:

Step 1) Insert your Windows XP CD into the drive and, if necessary, double-click the CD icon in My Computer.

Step 2) On the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP screen, click Perform Additional Tasks.

Step 3) Click Browse this CD.

Step 4) In Windows Explorer, double-click the ValueAdd folder, then Msft, and then Ntbackup.

Step 5) Double-click Ntbackup.msi to install the Backup utility.

After you open up the backup wizard you can simple follow the steps in the WINDOWS XP PRO to backup your files.

Now all you have to do is burn the backup to a cd if it fits or dvd if you have a dvd burner.

El_NINO
If you want to know how to then get those backup files back let me know.

TOH
So lets get started then.

Now all you have to do is burn the backup to a cd if it fits or dvd if you have a dvd burner.

... I have 6000+ files of my own and not enough cd's to burn them to. There are really important files so I can't exactly just forget about them.

srug

El_NINO
its called WINRAR compress the files.

it could also be intrepreted as 6000 files = 1 mb each file = 6GB total

ILoveMyDaniel

Okay that went right over top of my head.

I have the program WinRAR. What do I do? Do I compress each and every folder containing my files or what? And then what? Lol.

El_NINO
Dont compress the files yet, do that after you have done the backup. Forget what I said before.

silver_tears
If you have an email address that allows you to transfer huge amounts, you could zip your folders and send them to yourself. I did that for all my picture files when I was moving it all to my laptop.

TOH

Winrar is useless if you have compressed files as avis, jpegs etc...

ILoveMyDaniel
Dont compress the files yet, do that after you have done the backup. Forget what I said before.
Originally posted by TOH
Winrar is useless if you have compressed files as avis, jpegs etc...
Well then....

Originally posted by silver_tears
If you have an email address that allows you to transfer huge amounts, you could zip your folders and send them to yourself. I did that for all my picture files when I was moving it all to my laptop.
Great idea! What will zipping the folders do though if I were to send them to myself?

silver_tears
Make them a fraction of their size allowing you to send more or larger ones.

El_NINO
I was about to suggest the same thing such as using GMAIL. WINRAR is better then WINZIP. Just compress the folders your using and send them to yourself, I have done that before too.

ILoveMyDaniel
Originally posted by silver_tears
Make them a fraction of their size allowing you to send more or larger ones.
Thanks!
I was about to suggest the same thing such as using GMAIL. WINRAR is better then WINZIP. Just compress the folders your using and send them to yourself, I have done that before too.
Alright, one more question. Compressing is zipping too and will not effect the images in any way will they when I am done with my computer and am able to restore the pictures to their original place?!

eggmayo
Alright, one more question. Compressing is zipping too and will not effect the images in any way will they when I am done with my computer and am able to restore the pictures to their original place?!

Yeah.

Also - if you use the Gmail method, it may well be easier to download this Gmail drive shell. It adds a new drive to your 'My computer' and you can just drag and drop the files, rather than emailing.

El_NINO

It wont affect your quality and you can place the files anywhere you like.

ILoveMyDaniel
Originally posted by eggmayo
Yeah.

Also - if you use the Gmail method, it may well be easier to download this Gmail drive shell. It adds a new drive to your 'My computer' and you can just drag and drop the files, rather than emailing.
It wont affect your quality and you can place the files anywhere you like.
Alright, thanks. I'll try right now.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.