What is so great about AOTC???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
In my opinion its the movie I like the least out of the 6.

But I have seen many list it as their #1

Why???

What do you like about it so much?

JaehSkywalker
I've seen it many times because my bro loves it. I'm not really a fan of AOTC... i feel it's too cheesy... well, sometimes my mood likes cheesy movies so i watch AOTC... embarrasment

Mugen
the love scenes really bring it down, bad scritpting, but im not hatin, at least Lucas gave us Star Wars, take the good with the bad.

masterkit
I like it the least but its still enjoyable

Rampant ox
Personally I think it is the best. The reasons are:
-Story Line. People keep comparing its story line to the OT. This is a foolish thing to do because they are two completely different trilogies. AOTC has everything a great story line needs; action, love, mystery and humour. IMO AOTC displays all of these to a very high standard.

-Characters. The characters in AOTC I think are great. It has the best villan of the saga, Count Dooku who really makes the movie awesome. He is played by Christopher Lee who is the best actor of all time. People play down Anakins (Hayden Christianson) character by calling him a whiny brat. I agree. but this is exactly what he is meant to sound like. There is a lot of CGI characters but I think that was necessary. You couldnt have the sprawling scenes of Coruscant played out with puppets for example.

-SFX/CGI. AOTC has thebest graphics of all of the movies except perhaps ROTS. This adds th the SW experience. The Geonosian Arena is one of my favourite scenes of the saga and wouldnt have been possible without CGI. Yoda wouldnt have had his famous duel with Dooku without CGI. People keep saying that the CGI ruins the movie but that is a load of bullsh*t. Without it, many of our favourite scenes wouldnt have been possible.

-Battle scenes. AOTC easily has the best battles of the saga. Yodas fight with the Count is my all time favourite duel. The Geonosian arena with all the jedi is amazing to watch. Everyone in the movies was on the edge of their seat while watching the Battle of Geonosis unfold. We all sat entranced when Kenobi chased Jango through the asteroid field. IMO, AOTC was the most action packed of any of the movies.

That is just my opinion. AOTC isnt leagues above any of the other movies - they are all about even I think. But for the reasons stated above (especially because of Christopher Lee), AOTC is my fav.

Cerberus
I don't like Obi-Wan's mullet no expression

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
What is so great about AOTC???
Absolutely nothing.

JediRobin23
People who hate the love scenes in AOTC, are those who wish Luke and Leia were bastard kids

JaehSkywalker
Originally posted by Rampant ox
Personally I think it is the best. The reasons are:
-Story Line. People keep comparing its story line to the OT. This is a foolish thing to do because they are two completely different trilogies. AOTC has everything a great story line needs; action, love, mystery and humour. IMO AOTC displays all of these to a very high standard.

-Characters. The characters in AOTC I think are great. It has the best villan of the saga, Count Dooku who really makes the movie awesome. He is played by Christopher Lee who is the best actor of all time. People play down Anakins (Hayden Christianson) character by calling him a whiny brat. I agree. but this is exactly what he is meant to sound like. There is a lot of CGI characters but I think that was necessary. You couldnt have the sprawling scenes of Coruscant played out with puppets for example.

-SFX/CGI. AOTC has thebest graphics of all of the movies except perhaps ROTS. This adds th the SW experience. The Geonosian Arena is one of my favourite scenes of the saga and wouldnt have been possible without CGI. Yoda wouldnt have had his famous duel with Dooku without CGI. People keep saying that the CGI ruins the movie but that is a load of bullsh*t. Without it, many of our favourite scenes wouldnt have been possible.

-Battle scenes. AOTC easily has the best battles of the saga. Yodas fight with the Count is my all time favourite duel. The Geonosian arena with all the jedi is amazing to watch. Everyone in the movies was on the edge of their seat while watching the Battle of Geonosis unfold. We all sat entranced when Kenobi chased Jango through the asteroid field. IMO, AOTC was the most action packed of any of the movies.

That is just my opinion. AOTC isnt leagues above any of the other movies - they are all about even I think. But for the reasons stated above (especially because of Christopher Lee), AOTC is my fav.

agreed. though i don't like the love scenes very much.

greenangel
AOTC is where we see the greastest love story ever begin...... angel

masterkit
Genosis was so friggin cool roll eyes (sarcastic)

JediJim
Originally posted by greenangel
AOTC is where we see the greastest love story ever begin...... angel

laughing laughing laughing

Couldn't have said it better myself!

greenangel
Thank you JediJim~ angel

overlord
Originally posted by JediRobin23
People who hate the love scenes in AOTC, are those who wish Luke and Leia were bastard kids Anybody can dispise those crappy love scenes witnessed in AotC, you don't have to be a special kind of person for that.

As for why the movie is the worst of the saga. The only nice scenes were the Kamino one and the arena ones. Anything involving Padme and Anakin was boring. I didn't want to see Naboo or Tatooine again, especially when nothing interesting happens. Padme and Anakin playing between machines of a factory was unrealistic that nothing happened yet not exciting at all actually.
The beasts were fun but the jedi vs. the droid battle was chaotic and stupid. Then we have the supposed climax of the movie..
Yoda jumping around trying to impress the audiance with incredible CGI BS, wow.. And then they went away. The main villain didn't even kill anyone. Therefore Jango Fett will be the main villain who kills and the real climax will be Mace Windu chopping his head off.

I also imagined more from clones or the clone wars. Bah, anyway.. TPM and RotS are much better and much more exciting movies. That's plain obvious.

PVS
just an allout boredomfest.
remove fight scenes and whats left is a steaming pile of crap........sorry sad

Thorinn
Originally posted by Cerberus
I don't like Obi-Wan's mullet no expression

DeVi| D0do
The scenes on Tattooine are good. The rest is absolute rubbish. My 3-year-old nephew choreographs better saber duels than the ones in AOTC...

And the Clones barely do any attacking at all.

Stun
Shmi's death and the Tusken Slaughter was about the best part of the movie - saying that, i really dont mind the rest.

Sith Master X
It's my second favorite SW film, although when I watch it there are some things I like better about this one than ROTS. It's a really cheesy film, yes, but in my opinion that's what makes it fun to watch. I don't see what's wrong with the lightsaber fights in AOTC. It was more traditional to the OT than any of the other Prequel fights with the pacing. The scenes on Geonosis, Clones Vs, Droids...yes it's a CGI fest, but it's a beautiful CGI fest and I just can't help but like it.

Sith Master X
Double post, sorry about this.

Tangible God
Originally posted by masterkit
I like it the least but its still enjoyable

Stun
Originally posted by Sith Master X
It's my second favorite SW film, although when I watch it there are some things I like better about this one than ROTS. It's a really cheesy film, yes, but in my opinion that's what makes it fun to watch. I don't see what's wrong with the lightsaber fights in AOTC. It was more traditional to the OT than any of the other Prequel fights with the pacing. The scenes on Geonosis, Clones Vs, Droids...yes it's a CGI fest, but it's a beautiful CGI fest and I just can't help but like it.

when it comes to Star Wars SMX my friend, we think alike cool

Jedi Priestess
I personally dont have a problem with it. smile

chinabing
Me either.

If you don't like cheesy dialogue I suggest you find another saga.

Smoker Stevens
It was an exiciting story and I wasn't annoyed by the love scenes.
There is a lot of (lighsaber)action and the story unfolds nice.
Its a great begin of the clone wars and therefore I respect this movie...

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Holland>>> smokin' laughing out loud

Likewise, my friend!

aids_lol
AOTC IS SOO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FILM "DONT TELL MY DADDY"

sithsaber408
albert -"You're a f*cking idiot."

JaehSkywalker
Originally posted by aids_lol
AOTC IS SOO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FILM "DONT TELL MY DADDY"

mad leave this thread alone! mad

Akira99
I could go on forever why I give this film 2/10 but the question is what is good about it?
The Slave 1 versus Kenobi space duel was cool
The lightsaber duel with Yoda versus Count Dooku is the reason I bought the DVD
The ending scene with Sidious and Tyranus - that was magic!
Apart from that I can't think of anything else

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Akira99
I could go on forever why I give this film 2/10 but the question is what is good about it?
The Slave 1 versus Kenobi space duel was cool
The lightsaber duel with Yoda versus Count Dooku is the reason I bought the DVD
The ending scene with Sidious and Tyranus - that was magic!
Apart from that I can't think of anything else

Two little scenes at the beginning:

Obi and Ani in the club, where Ewan gets a few nice lines/moments.

Ani and Palps together for the first time, where Palps tells him to trust his feelings and he will be invincible, and that he sees him as more powerfull than Yoda.

I also enjoyed all the stuff back on Tattooine:

*Ani seeing Watto again, especially the animation/performance when Watto realizes its Anakin.

*Seeing the homestead, and young Owen and Beru, and seeing Anakin standing against the homestead at sundown was really cool, with the beginning part of the "Force Theme" playing as he rides off.

*Of course, the death of his mother, and his reactions to her in that scene, and his deadly outburst of anger after.

*The scene in the garage where he tells Padme that he killed them all "Not just the men, but the women" (He starts to break up) "and the children too" as the darkside chorus (Oh ohoh...) is playing in the backround.

Then its just the scenes that you mentioned (including the Jango v.s. Obi fistfight in there), plus the arena scenes after the Jedi arrive, Mace decapatating Jango Fett, and the Battle of Geonosis is cool.

Also, rarely mentioned, but the brief wedding scene is very well done.

As I watched them make those vows for the first time, (in theaters) and saw the pure, tender love that should have never been, and the blaring trumpets fortelling that things were about to get much crazier, I was left in my theater seat wanting 2005 right NOW.

It doesn't have quite the same impact now, but its still a great little scene.

LORD JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
In my opinion its the movie I like the least out of the 6.

But I have seen many list it as their #1

Why???

What do you like about it so much?

There is absoutley nothing exelent about it, was beter then Phantom menace though.

overlord
Actually, only the planet Kamino was nice and the arena monsters were interesting. The clone concept sucked, Geonosis sucked as a planet. The not finished fight against Dooku was mildly entertaining.
Seeing Coruscant at night was boring, the return to Tatooine for the fourth time was boring and seeing Naboo again was boring. There, I've said it. All these negative points I adressed are outclassed by scenes from the other movies.
This is what makes AotC inferior to the others.

ESB -1138
Actually ATOC is very good; just remove the Anakin/Padme parts and you have a good movie

darthivader
perhaps its just about the bunch of perverts who think the scene in which Padme loses part of her costume is hot eek! laughing

for me personally the best parts are

Jango vs Obi Wan

Geonosis, all the Jedi helping them

The humor parts (not like there are tons of them)

Yoda vs Dooku

Council#13
^I completely agree with him

JediRobin23
K, people put down the prequal trilogy just cause there so in love with the OT, thinking, oh man, nothing can beat the OT.
Whatever...
I OT had its corney lines and stupid stuff in it.
in ANH, -Darth Vader looking down on his daughter and not knowing or feeling shit....
-Blood coming out of a severed arm with a lightbaber.
-Corney looking models of the death star where Luke seems to be making damage with his little x wing blasters.
-In ESB, Space creatures on an asteroid living in no atmosphere with temperature or pressure.
-In ROTJ, Primitive Ewoks can take the best Emperors troops in the galaxy.

The PT wasn;t perfect, but I really enjoyed them..

Rampant ox

-In ROTJ, Primitive Ewoks can take the best Emperors troops in the galaxy.

eek! Thats the thing that pisses me off most about the OT. Whenever I watch it im like WTF!!! The stormtroopers go down and stay down after getting hit with rocks.

DeVi| D0do
K, people put down the prequal trilogy just cause there so in love with the OT, thinking, oh man, nothing can beat the OT.
No, it's because the Original Trilogy are infinitely better movies...

JediRobin23
eek! Thats the thing that pisses me off most about the OT. Whenever I watch it im like WTF!!! The stormtroopers go down and stay down after getting hit with rocks.

yeah its pretty sad..

I just hate PT bashers, cause they think star wars should be perfect

JediRobin23
Theyre all good movies if you ask me

chinabing
Theyre all good movies if you ask me rock

overlord
yeah its pretty sad..

I just hate PT bashers, cause they think star wars should be perfect The PT doesn't get bashed, there are just some wimps who are dead afraid of any type of discussing quality compared to the other movies and... criticism.. Oh my..

AotC is a somewhat nice movie but is a bit boring to a lot of people.
But luckily there are always some people who can like movies like Gigli for example. Doesn't make it a superb movie though. erm

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by overlord
But luckily there are always some people who can like movies like Gigli for example.
You'd need a frontal lobotomy to enjoy something like Gigli... *cringe*

chinabing
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
You'd need a frontal lobotomy to enjoy something like Gigli...
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me.

Infinity
k listen up the star wars saga itself could quite possibly be some of the greatest and most revolutionary movies ever made. ESPECIALLY the original trilogy. ep1.3.4.5.6 are amazing. but 2 is HORRIBLE. they should've had a cooler battle at geonosis. and the battle between ani vs. dooku sucked. dooku vs. obi had some cool sequences but thats it. they completely ruined dookus high rep in that duel it was shit when he faced ani. no good moves, no flips, no great sequences.. nothing, nada. the pt is known for its amazing battles. that one is worse than the ep4 one, WOW i can't believe it. at least the yoda duel and jango obi fight was cool. coz if they weren't the movie would'Ve sucked SOOO MUCHH MORE THAN IT ALREADY DOES. ep2 is a disgrace to star wars saga. sorry for being offensive or very harsh but its true. GL U FCKKED UP!

DeVi| D0do
Agreed. Except for the part about Yoda's duel... it was awful. Yoda should have never taken out his lightsaber. He's too good for that. Seeing Yoda bouncing around like Kermit on speed was one of the saddest things I've ever seen.

Infinity
lmaooo

chinabing
Well, here I go again, defending AOTC . . .

I LOVED Aotc! The Yoda-Dooku was a highlight, the climax of the film. People were thrilled at that battle!

I love the way the film builds to it's multiple climaxes. It's one fantastic showcase after another! First the droid factory, then the monster mash, then the jedi attacks, then the rescue, then the actual clone wars (!), then the Dooku duels. It's a thrill ride, a rollercoaster ride, like from one theme park ride to the next, and each one tops the last!

It just blew me away when Yoda took out his sword and battled Dooku. And he took it out for defense, never for attack, so all those who thought he was "betraying" the jedi order by using a lightsaber, well, pfft. The battle was amazing, what a wonderful scene of Yoda away putting his lightsaber to save Obi-Wan & Anakin from the pillar, letting Dooku escape, and letting us see Padme look up into the sky as Dooku's ship pulled away. Now who didn't think of Leia in TESB at that moment, just like her daughter when Boba Fett pulled away with Han! You'd swear she looks the same, a different expression of course, but the close-up was intentional.

Then Yoda picks up his cane and hobbles away! What a payoff! Now that's filmmaking. Lucas is a giant!

And I swear, the finale of AOTC is one of the best in the entire series. There's just such impending doom with all the clones and the starships, and impending love, all in the same worldless moments. It's such a classic Star Wars moment, intentionally similar to the end of TESB. Mother/Father & droids, as compared to Sister & Brother & droids. The wedding was just incredible because it meant Anakin put love over his jedi vows, with drastic results for the galaxy, but true love for themselves. You can just feel the sadness and the joy in the same moment.

Infinity
hmm... basically u mean to say that its full of sht big grin

Rampant ox
Originally posted by chinabing

I LOVED Aotc! The Yoda-Dooku was a highlight, the climax of the film. People were thrilled at that battle!

I love the way the film builds to it's multiple climaxes. It's one fantastic showcase after another! First the droid factory, then the monster mash, then the jedi attacks, then the rescue, then the actual clone wars (!), then the Dooku duels. It's a thrill ride, a rollercoaster ride, like from one theme park ride to the next, and each one tops the last!

It just blew me away when Yoda took out his sword and battled Dooku. And he took it out for defense, never for attack, so all those who thought he was "betraying" the jedi order by using a lightsaber, well, pfft. The battle was amazing, what a wonderful scene of Yoda away putting his lightsaber to save Obi-Wan & Anakin from the pillar, letting Dooku escape, and letting us see Padme look up into the sky as Dooku's ship pulled away. Now who didn't think of Leia in TESB at that moment, just like her daughter when Boba Fett pulled away with Han! You'd swear she looks the same, a different expression of course, but the close-up was intentional.

Then Yoda picks up his cane and hobbles away! What a payoff! Now that's filmmaking. Lucas is a giant!

And I swear, the finale of AOTC is one of the best in the entire series. There's just such impending doom with all the clones and the starships, and impending love, all in the same worldless moments. It's such a classic Star Wars moment, intentionally similar to the end of TESB. Mother/Father & droids, as compared to Sister & Brother & droids. The wedding was just incredible because it meant Anakin put love over his jedi vows, with drastic results for the galaxy, but true love for themselves. You can just feel the sadness and the joy in the same moment.

I agree 114% cool

DeVi| D0do

The way you talk about it... I envy you. I wish I loved the film as much as you do. But I don't. I could into a thousand reasons why, but I think people are sick of hearing about it...

overlord
"Then Yoda picks up his cane and hobbles away! What a payoff! Now that's filmmaking. Lucas is a giant!"

Yeah, exactly my idea when Yoda walked away.. blink

But as for multiple climaxes or orgasms with some, RotS did a better job in that way although I'm not really sure it is possible to have multiple climaxes.

Infinity
hmm basically ep2 is the biggest sht thrown together in like 5minutes big grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

Akira99
I have to agree

chinabing
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
The way you talk about it... I envy you. I wish I loved the film as much as you do. But I don't. I could into a thousand reasons why, but I think people are sick of hearing about it...

I know what you mean, I'm sure people tire of me saying how wonderful it is. Not that I think it's Hamlet, or flawless. It's got such an epic scale on so many levels.

I just let myself love it, that's all.

Sith Master X
Wow, some of you people complain way too much. You have not a clue how many hours of work it takes to do the scale of work required for a Star Wars film to exist. The effort they put into all the effects. You know, it's not some garbage they threw together. It takes time and alot of skill. "The biggest sh*t thrown together in 5 minutes" WTF? Yeah, the really compares to 3 years. I'd love to see some of you guys hop in the director's chair and do better. No wonder the world sucks so much, everyone acts so ungrateful and b*tches about everything to no end, even over a damn movie thats made for you to enjoy. Everyone just takes everything too seriously. And for those that complain about the overuse of visuals, you need to understand something. George Lucas is a visual story teller. He uses visuals to tell his stories, not dialogue, and you know something else, that's what sets him apart from any other filmmaker. That's his style. You could literally watch an entire Star Wars film, with no dialogue, only visuals and the beautiful music composed by John Williams, and you would be able to follow the story quite well.

I like the prequels because they are fun films to watch. You're supposed to have "fun" when you're watching it, and not pick over stupid sh*t like the noises the droids make or the way Anakin's hair looks.

Until you guys ever get on a movie set and see the enormous work, time and effort that takes place, quit complaining. You don't have a clue how hard they work.

darthivader
well, sith master x does have a point, the movies are suppose to be watched to have fun,and yes, star wars does have excellent visuals and effects, and the story is amazing, its a whole new universe, so thats a score for Lucas

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by Sith Master X
I like the prequels because they are fun films to watch. You're supposed to have "fun" when you're watching it, and not pick over stupid sh*t like the noises the droids make or the way Anakin's hair looks.
Well, judging from the fact that we are bitching about the noises the droids make, I'd say Lucas failed...

There was so much more to Empire Strikes Back than fun... Why couldn't it be the same for these films?

Infinity
ep2 sucks ..

Rampant ox
ep2 rocks .. wink

darthivader
laughing laughing eek!

exanda kane
It's watchable...

FoxMeister
AOTC is a thin sucky thread in between the 1st and 3rd movie. It doesnt tell you much about darth vader and how anakin goes to the darkside apart from the few tantrums which were made suckier with bad acting over all it sucked mad

Red Superfly
It's the worst of the Star Wars movies by a country mile. Absolute garbage.

Rampant ox
Almost everything that has been posted is complete bullsh*t. stick out tongue

AOTC is the best movie out of all of them. Has the best lead villan, Count Dooku, who leaves you in awe when he fires sith lightning for the first time since Sids in ROTJ. And when he whipped out his lightsaber and pwned the duo and then went toe to toe with Yoda we were all looking at the screen in astonishment. Dont deny it.

Also it has the Battle of Geonosis. Easily the best battle in the saga, it has action, hundreds of jedi, swarms of droids and clones and great SFX. Stop saying that it could have been better if GL did '...' differently because it wouldnt have been. What we see on screen is the Battle of Geonsis the way it was meant to be - anything else wouldnt work.

I admit most of the scenes with Anakin and Padme sucked, but this is made up for with scenes like Kamino where Kenobi fights Jango. This is just another superb scene which took alot of time and effort to put together but has come out breathtaking. I mean, this is our introduction to Boba Fett, learning about his origins and history.

Sith Master X
I'm always amused when someone calls a 3 year work of art "Garbage." Spend 3 years, 19 hours a day, and see how it feels to have your film called "garbage," and act as if no effort was put into it. You'll feel like punching someone out.

chinabing
ep2 sucks ..
No, Ep 2 r00lz!

EPIIIBITES
Apart from the movie being the "coolest" of the prequels (meaning it had the coolest vibe and lots of the coolest stuff...characters/locations/action sequences), Ep II seemed to bring in more Star Wars fans than any other episode since ESB...and that includes Sith.

There were sooo many websites that popped up after Clones (in the the vein of "Anakin and his Angel" and the like)...and so much buzz around Star Wars that Menace failed to make...and Sith hasn't seemed to have made either.

For some reason, (and I don't know why considering it's not greatest movie) I think it struck a chord with a lot of people this generation.

I also kinda see it as a cult film...I think if it wasn't a Star Wars film (meaning Star Wars never existed), and it just came out on its own, I think it could be a cult classic...whereas the others on their own would just have normal film status...and I think that's part of it's appeal.

queeq
AOTC is no doubt the most obsolete of all SW films. Nothing in that film progresses the story in any meaningful way. It's a lot of sidetracked little bitty storylines with some not too perfect effects. It's one huge 2,5 hours piece of exposition that doesn't take us anywhere. It seemed to do that at the time, but when ROTS came around I really wondered what the point of that film was:
- It never showed anything that made OB1 in ANH believable when he said "And he was a great friend"
- the love story is totally unbelievable
- Anakin is a dickhead, with whom it's very hard to sympathise with, a whining brat without the youthful promisefilled chararcteristics of Luke.
- another Sith who is the best since Vader, but who has no point at all in story development. I still wonder what the whole film was about... Plus the key elements of Sidious using Tyrannus to destroy all the major power factions in the universe (Banking Guild, Techno Union and Trade Federation all joined in the Separartists movement) is lost in all the subtelties... Clever idea, but poorly executed. Very few people got that, but if anything is at stake in that film, it is Sidious setting up a clever scheme to create a power vacuum which he can fill.
But since we officially don't even know Palpatine=Sidious (a huge mistake in the PT in my mind) it doesn't even matter.

In my mind AOTC is entertaining, but missed out on all opportunities to make us like Anakin and understand him. ROTS should have been used as two movies in my mind. At least something would have been at stake.

lord xyz
AOTC is the best movie out of all of them. Has the best lead villan, Count Dooku, Count Dooku is not the best villain, Darth Sidious is. Count Dooku to me is just a prick who never shuts up.Originally posted by Rampant ox
who leaves you in awe when he fires sith lightning for the first time since Sids in ROTJ. And when he whipped out his lightsaber and pwned the duo and then went toe to toe with Yoda we were all looking at the screen in astonishment. Dont deny it. We weren't "looking at the screen in astonishment" That phrase you just posted there, is probably the most bullshit in this thread. Originally posted by Rampant ox
Also it has the Battle of Geonosis. Easily the best battle in the saga, it has action, hundreds of jedi, swarms of droids and clones and great SFX. "Great SFX"? laughing And that battle was aweful, 1. You only saw specks of the battle, 2. The battle was over-board with far too many jedi, 3. The battle isn't what we all expected.Originally posted by Rampant ox
Stop saying that it could have been better if GL did '...' differently because it wouldnt have been. What we see on screen is the Battle of Geonsis the way it was meant to be - anything else wouldnt work. I'm sorry, do you know what out-takes are?Originally posted by Rampant ox
I admit most of the scenes with Anakin and Padme sucked, but this is made up for with scenes like Kamino where Kenobi fights Jango. Well, it was interseting...Originally posted by Rampant ox
This is just another superb scene which took alot of time and effort to put together but has come out breathtaking. I mean, this is our introduction to Boba Fett, learning about his origins and history. Okay, that bit was pretty good.

queeq
I hated the exposition on Boba.... why the hell did we need that.

In all fairness, AOTC did have quite a few good moments... but they were moments, separate, not connected to a greater story, those bits that were, were small and minute...

For instance, great scene with Ani and Obi chasing Zam, but think about that whole thing.
Why must Amidala die? Because the TF sort of is annoyed by her, what is the point for Sidious to make such about an unimportant senator? Why was she so important? Never made that clear.
Why hire Jango, who then hires Zam? Why doesn't Jango do it himself? Why all this complicated fuss when it has no bearing for the bigger story? Would Amidala's death have changed Sidious march to power? I don't think so? Maybe it would have changed Ani's, but then, he wasn't in love with her when taht assault on the landing pad takes place. All in all, a very very minor plot point that takes forever to work out. And all it does is lead to Kamino, some lame detective storyy this is... at the end they still don't know anything.... only that a war begins... Well, bleeeeh....

Ushgarak
I think the assassination plot was subject to some of the same problems ROTJ had with script re-writing, where things get lost.

vis a vis, Anakin's job is to bodyguard Amidala against the attempts.

At which point they promptly stop. No more attempts actually come at Amidala anyway.

It makes its use as an intro into a wider plot stick out, which is fine in The Simpsons but in a serious film should probably be better integrated.

queeq
Indeed.... I mean I understand the underlying ideas... there are many of them in AOTC, but most of them get lost.
In the end if you deduce what AOTC tells us is nothing more than that Anakin meets and falls in love withN Amidala and that a Clone Army is made. That's it!!!! It's minute for a film that takes almost 2,5 hours....

PVS
Originally posted by queeq
Indeed.... I mean I understand the underlying ideas... there are many of them in AOTC, but most of them get lost.
In the end if you deduce what AOTC tells us is nothing more than that Anakin meets and falls in love withN Amidala and that a Clone Army is made. That's it!!!! It's minute for a film that takes almost 2,5 hours....

wtf are you talking about? there are so many great moments in AotC. take this one for example:

"i wish that i could just wish this all away"

the most poignant moment of the film imho. really reaches out to the audience, since thats exactly what i was thinking

EPIIIBITES

Dead on...which is why I could kind of see it as a cult film...it's convoluted, visually driven, doesn't haven't a clear resolution at the end, and it's disjointed with a bunch of stuff that doesn't seem to connect or carry a story along (unless you really dig deep or have some bakground)...sounds like a lot of cult movies I know.

...still think it looks and feels cooler than any other SW movie...or most any movie ever made for that matter

queeq
It has moments.... that is it. Nothing more. No vision, it is not visually driven other than CGI and lots of bangs and stuff... It has a very clear resolution in the sense that nothing changed: they still don't know anything. Any film that has no change is CRAP.

It's nothing like a cult movie, because it isn't extraordinary in any way, doesn't show things in a different light. Blade Runner, that is a cult film for instance, somewhat in a similar genre. AOTC is way to flat and cheesy to be cult...

EPIIIBITES
Don't worry...I'm not saying it's a good movie...but it sounds like you're just trying to give the film zero credit.

Seems like a lot of people might not "get" Attack of the Clones.

You don't have to go much farther than the name to see where I'm coming from...this movie is the most self aware, campy, over-the-top film of the series...Maybe you think this movie is trying to take itself seriously...it's not. It takes the piss in a number of places and is over-the-top romantic, dramatic, and visually throughout...it takes everything to the "nth" degree. Kinda "cultish" I think.

Pretty much any review you'll read says this film is visually driven...it's definitely not driven by plot...what plot? Where?

And there is no resolution because not a whole lot is (as you said earlier) deduced...pretty much every non-Star Wars fan I saw this movie with was like "whuh?" at the end of the movie...they didn't know what the heck happened.

And this film is extraordinary...never before have we seen a film that takes place pretty much entirely in a "realistic" looking CG world...it's basically the first multi-million dollar (or by far the most expensive) art film ever made...and that kinda makes it cult IMO.

(and "realistic" is in quotes for a reason).

Rampant ox
Originally posted by lord xyz
Count Dooku is not the best villain, Darth Sidious is. Count Dooku to me is just a prick who never shuts up.

Bullsh*t. Count Dooku is far better than friggin Sidious. I liked PT Palpatine but GL made PT Sidious look like crap. We are talking about the same Sidious who started giggling in his fight with Yoda for god sake. Not a trait you see very often in a movies most evil character.

Tangible God
Palaptine was better than Dooku in the visual department all the way up until he started his fight with Yoda. It got shitty from then.

chinabing
AOTC is a mystery. Once you know the mystery, it's like re-reading a whodunnit. But when I saw it the first time, I was blown away.

maddani
WHATS SO GREAT ABOUT AOTC???
its muckin STAR WARS!

Tangible God
So's Jar Jar Binks but that doesn't stop us from wanting to stab him in the neck.

ESB -1138
People say AOTC is bad. It's very good expect the parts with Anakin and Padme in them. Remove them and keep the Obi-Wan scenes and you have a good movie.

chinabing
It's very good except the parts with Anakin and Padme in them. Remove them and keep the Obi-Wan scenes and you have a good movie.

The fate of the entire galaxy rests in the heart of those cornball love lines! Ya can't take them out!

I especially like Anakin's palace dressing-down via Padme's icy stare. That look could cool off a moose at mating time.

queeq
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
Don't worry...I'm not saying it's a good movie...but it sounds like you're just trying to give the film zero credit.

Seems like a lot of people might not "get" Attack of the Clones.

You don't have to go much farther than the name to see where I'm coming from...this movie is the most self aware, campy, over-the-top film of the series...Maybe you think this movie is trying to take itself seriously...it's not. It takes the piss in a number of places and is over-the-top romantic, dramatic, and visually throughout...it takes everything to the "nth" degree. Kinda "cultish" I think.

Pretty much any review you'll read says this film is visually driven...it's definitely not driven by plot...what plot? Where?

And there is no resolution because not a whole lot is (as you said earlier) deduced...pretty much every non-Star Wars fan I saw this movie with was like "whuh?" at the end of the movie...they didn't know what the heck happened.

And this film is extraordinary...never before have we seen a film that takes place pretty much entirely in a "realistic" looking CG world...it's basically the first multi-million dollar (or by far the most expensive) art film ever made...and that kinda makes it cult IMO.

(and "realistic" is in quotes for a reason).

A film that is not plot driven is just a lot of money spent on nice effects. But nice effects and great visuals don't make a good film. It's as simple as that. It goes, in fact, against the very principles Lucas started SW with: the effects are merely the tools for storytelling. Now in AOTC the effects ARE the movie... Where did Lucas go wrong? He sinned against his own very principle, and a good one indeed.

And since the whole Anakin-Padem relationship is so terrible in this film. Anakin is an unsympathetic dickhead.... He only begins to get interesting at the beginning of ROTS... why wasn't he like that in AOTC. He is an a$$hole in AOTC, no wonder he turns Sith, but why Padme falls in love with him is a mystery to me. Again, bad storytelling. Magic CGI apples flying around doesn't make those scenes better.

AOTC is not a horrible film, it's just so damn obsolete... It doesn't take us any further, and the who-dunnit aspect... well, it's lame.... It doesn't create grand insights after TPM: a Sith is trying to meddle with the Republic.... we already knew that.

EPIIIBITES
AOTC is not a horrible film

I'd say it's a horrible film...I have no idea why in the world anybody whose not a Star Wars fan would like or even be interested in ROTS or AOTC...

...but there are a lot of nerdy people out there (me included).

I think Lucas et al have a strange perception in their head that the new generation of PT Star Wars movies has as much public interest as, say, the LOTR movies...that the general public is actually following the story and actually care about what will happen...that's just not true. It's not the same as it was with Star Wars in the 80's.

The biggest reason these movies are hits is because of the nauseating advertising blitzes, the popularity, and the hordes of fans that go and see the films 3 times each...

In interviews you always hear Lucas et el say "this is what everyone has been waiting for" and stuff like that...who's eveyone Lucas? Get your head out of your butt. People cared to see TPM because it was advertised as the second coming...but that's it. Not a lot of people care about the other prequels...Older folk realize how bad these movies actually are...most younger folk just think it's extremely nerdy...

Lucas has done the crapiest job imaginable in including the general audience in AOTC and ROTS...The only decent all around film in that respect was TPM...and it was just a mediocre film.

Truth hurts...sorry.

queeq
It always hated TPM... it got better after seeing ROTS. ROTS is not too bad, it at least has the old feel again. Bit of humor, excitement, something's clear at stake again.... Still the best of the PT in my mind.... But ANH en ESB rock big time still, and I still like Luke better than Anakin.

Quinlan_Vos
Best Parts:

- Introduction (the ambush at Coruscant was really surprising)
- Coruscant Speeder Chase
- Jango vs. Obi-Wan
- Dogfight in the Asteroid Field
- Anakin already wanting power
- Geonosis Arena
- Geonosis Battle
- Climax Duels (though Yoda vs. Dooku should have been longer)

Bad Parts:

- Storyline: Some planets want to leave the Republic, and some Seperatist movement under Dooku is underway. Padme wants to create a Grand Army for the Republic, and Dooku sends Jango Fett to kill her. Anakin protects Padme, and they fall in love. Obi-Wan finds out a Clone Army in Kamino waiting to be used. Blah blah blah. It was an okay storyline, but what I didn't like is that they didn't show Dooku at all until the end. I mean, in the introduction, they say:

"This Seperatist movement,
under the the leadership of the
mysterious Count Dooku, has
made it difficult for...."

Basically, Jango Fett was the main villain for more than half the film until Dooku is shown.

Love:

Anakin and Padme's love was okay. It was kind of weird as Anakin keeps thinking about her for 10 years. What did she do to him in TPM anyway? Somehow, he manages to get her to kiss him and so forth. How does she fall in love with him anyway? But it surely isn't as bad as people think it is. Though Han and Leia's seemed to be a lot better.

Overall my ranking is:

1.) ESB
2.) ROTS
3.) ANH
4.) AOTC
5.) ROTJ
6.) TPM

The CGI helped it out a lot!

overlord
AOTC is a mystery. Once you know the mystery, it's like re-reading a whodunnit. But when I saw it the first time, I was blown away. Hmm.. Only with the scene of the missing planet, I briefly thought "who was that?", doesn't make the movie a Poirot movie though..
The fate of the entire galaxy rests in the heart of those cornball love lines! Ya can't take them out!

I especially like Anakin's palace dressing-down via Padme's icy stare. That look could cool off a moose at mating time. Nah, the fate of the universe doesn't really lay in the scene of them talking loveable shit towards one another.
We didn't know at the time that Anakin wanted to go dark side because of visions of her death.

Ah.. what the hell. They could've just fallen in love after AotC for my concern. I yawn at their supposedly romantic scene.

queeq
Originally posted by Quinlan_Vos
Best Parts:

- Introduction (the ambush at Coruscant was really surprising)
- Coruscant Speeder Chase
- Jango vs. Obi-Wan
- Dogfight in the Asteroid Field
- Anakin already wanting power
- Geonosis Arena
- Geonosis Battle
- Climax Duels (though Yoda vs. Dooku should have been longer)

You forgot the end. stick out tongue

Alliance
Imp March!

queeq
That was ESB originally.

theshakl
dam... and i love the love scenes..i think i'm the only weird one that does... then again..i saw it when i was 13..... now at 17... i Still like them lol

queeq
You don't know much about love then, methinks.

Alliance
I often consider AOTC to be my favorite.

Tangible God
I often consider AOTC to my least favourite.

Alliance
I think thats unfortunate.

Tangible God
I'm not saying I hate it, but if it came down to picking an order of the SW movies to bring with me to a desert island, it would be at the bottom.

Alliance
ROTJ would be left at home.

queeq
I agree with Tangible God.

The scenes with Vader and Palpy are so damn good in ROTJ, that alone makes it rank fairly higher than AOTC.

Alliance
Those scenes are among the best in the saga...but the rest of the movie is diarrhea.

queeq
The ewoks suck... but hey, AOTC doesn't have scenes like that. It buys credit for crap...

Tangible God
Padme's line of "We're gonna need some help!" is what turned me against AOTC. I was enjoying it in the the theater until I heard that line. Every time I watch the movie now I seem to spot one more bit of corniness, or someone else promoting themselves to either "Captain Obvious" or "Colonel Cheesiness."

chinabing
Originally posted by Tangible God
Padme's line of "We're gonna need some help!" is what turned me against AOTC. In the name of... what's wrong with that line? Corniness? Star Wars is one big corn feed! There are cornier lines than that. How about when Obi Wan responds "There isn't time." I think in each movie somebody says that. It's like "I have a bad feeling."

But how about Padme was right? What if they had waited for some more of those jedi ships, full of clone troopers and jedi and stuff. Dooku wouldn'tna hada chance! Why didn't the jedi ship fire back at those two orangie ships? Just keep Dooku from escaping until more republic ships arrive.

Tangible God
It's got nothing to do about her being true or not. To the dismay of many, Jar Jar turned out to be essential to the plotline, but that doesn't stop us from despising him.

Not to mention that, since Natalie Portman, IMO, was bloody awful at points, bad at others, and acceptable in the rest, this line coming from her especially, is rather annoying. It's so whiny and high-pitched, she's a girl know, but that doesn't stop it from sounding dumb. Factor in the blatant obviousness, and you end up with an American cliche of aline, considering their circumstance. Couldn't she have said something more along the lines of, "You can't beat him," or "He's too powerful for you!" Something other than the freaking piece of cheese she spewed.

queeq
YEah.... poor Natalie.... what on earth caused so many fine actors to act so badly...

Alliance
...*ponders for about -2 seconds*...

chinabing
It's got nothing to do about her being true or not. To the dismay of many, Jar Jar turned out to be essential to the plotline, but that doesn't stop us from despising him.

Not to mention that, since Natalie Portman, IMO, was bloody awful at points, bad at others, and acceptable in the rest, this line coming from her especially, is rather annoying. It's so whiny and high-pitched, she's a girl know, but that doesn't stop it from sounding dumb. Factor in the blatant obviousness, and you end up with an American cliche of aline, considering their circumstance. Couldn't she have said something more along the lines of, "You can't beat him," or "He's too powerful for you!" Something other than the freaking piece of cheese she spewed.

The line is fine, and so is the delivery. You're too hard on her, and the line. Padme wouldn't say something like "You can't beat him;" she's not a jedi she doesn't know his strengths. "He's too powerful for you?" That sounds like Vader! They did need help! I guess we disagree.

queeq
OOoh... that's new. wink

Sith Master X
In the name of... what's wrong with that line? Corniness? Star Wars is one big corn feed! There are cornier lines than that. How about when Obi Wan responds "There isn't time." I think in each movie somebody says that. It's like "I have a bad feeling."

But how about Padme was right? What if they had waited for some more of those jedi ships, full of clone troopers and jedi and stuff. Dooku wouldn'tna hada chance! Why didn't the jedi ship fire back at those two orangie ships? Just keep Dooku from escaping until more republic ships arrive.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Finally someone else who sees that theres no reason to fuss over little stuff like that. That's why people hate the PT, because the pick over stuff that doesn't matter.

Sorry, 1 line doesn't ruin an entire movie. lol

Tangible God
The line is fine, and so is the delivery. You're too hard on her, and the line. Padme wouldn't say something like "You can't beat him;" she's not a jedi she doesn't know his strengths. "He's too powerful for you?" That sounds like Vader! They did need help! I guess we disagree. Then she should've stayed silent.

And one line didn't ruin the movie for me, that line ruined the next minute for me. After that I started listening to SW lines instead of just hearing them, which also made me a fan. I went home and watched TPM but instead of just hearing SW talk, I heard lines of corniness, then I saw AOTC again, and caught even more of them.

Then I watched the OT again. There were lines of fluff, but in proportion to the PT, there are considerably less of them. 3 years later during the ROTS screening I rolled my eyes at least a dozen times, most of 'em during scenes with Portman or Christenson. Just about everyone I've mentioned this to agrees with me that the PT, AOTC especially, is filled with statements that any moron could have spouted. The bad acting that many here have claimed the PT possesses is from the dialogue, not body-movment. That bad dialogue takes the form of corn, cheese, and fluff.

Darth Kreiger
Now that I look back at AOTC, it was horribly put together, the only reason I understood ROTS was because I saw the Cartoon series. AOTC should have made things make sense for ROTS.

They didn't advance Plotlines that they spoke of in the beginning, like Dooku and friends. The PT Movies were reliant on the EU for information, that's really sad.....

Not to mention it destroyed Boba Fett for me, and the only good part was the Arena Scene.

queeq
I agree about Boba.

Well the thing that bothered me most is that AOTC seemed to set-up for a grand resolving conflict. But when I saw ROTS, I really wondered what the heck AOCT was about, why it was made in the first place. ONly to say two things: Ani and Padme fall in love and a Clone Army get made. Since the latter in the end is just boring exposition, AOTC is a virtually obsolete film. Watching it again with my kids it became clear that it just has a few nice action sequences but that's about it. AOTC is one big fluff...

Alliance
AOTC is the same fluff as ESB then.

queeq
No way!! ESB is a classic and shattered the world with Vader's immortal line: "I am your father". And even today ESB stands out among critics in general as a great film. AOTC will never ever reach that status.

Darth Kreiger
ESB was at least mostly completed, it left room for a Sequel, but AOTC left Plots incomplete, and only addressed them towards the end, then the Cartoon pretty much had to make up for it

queeq
INdeed, indeed... It even started whole plot threads that were never finished or... when finished... didn't prove to be very interesting. After all, who cares where Boba Fett came from?

DeVi| D0do
Cut out everything that doesn't happen on Tattooine in AOTC and you've got a pretty good movie. Nothing else (NOTHING else) that happens in that movie matters.

Tangible God
Except for Mace realising that the Jedi are getting crappier and crappier with the Force. I said, "Good for you."

queeq
Hahahahaha

Yeah, I always felt Anakin and Padme should never even have gone to Naboo. They could have fallen in love on that crappy transport. Much more interesting place to fall in love than a beautiful lake, water, waterfalls, green meadows and THOSE TERRIBLE AWFUL DISGUSTING SHAAKS!!!!!

Cybervader
AoTC reveals Palpatine's orchestration of events that led to the Republic acquiring the clones, which was to be used against them. I think the name "Attack of the Clones" has a symbolic meaning to it. The initial blast that shatters the Republic, and pave the way for the age of the beloved stormtroopers.

Anyway, i think Anakin and Padme should have had sex in Naboo. Heightens the forbidden love doesn't it.

Alliance
stormies are an insult to the clones...

queeq
Are they?

Alliance
Yeah. They really are.

Tangible God
They really are. If there was one thing I could change about the OT, it would be the Stormtroopers. This time round they'd exterminate every last Ewok.

queeq
OH YEAH!!!

exanda kane
Originally posted by Alliance
Yeah. They really are.

confused

queeq
Exanda doesn't get it.

Alliance
No.

queeq
Strange

Alliance
Well...

queeq
Well, what? Thread is dead?

Cybervader
As i was saying, it explains why the imperial march was played full-fledged when they showed the clones at the end of AoTC.

willman
AOTC isnt all that. its rather crubbish.

queeq
Yup

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Cybervader
As i was saying, it explains why the imperial march was played full-fledged when they showed the clones at the end of AoTC.

I was hoping that they would have reprised it in the ending shot of Vader and Palps on the star destroyer looking out at the death star.

Would've been perfect there.Originally posted by willman
AOTC isnt all that. its rather crubbish.

ATOC is the PT's ROTJ.

Alliance
Its sad to associate the two.... AOTC is on and off my favorite SW...ROTJ is permenantly rock bottom.

nice sig by the way... smile

Quinlan_Vos
The main reason I don't like ROTJ is because of the Ewoks, otherwise it would rank higher.

Rampant ox
I didnt mind the ewoks, I thought they added some depth to the movie. However I really dont like Jabba's palace at the beginning. I find that whole sequence boring and nothing looking realistic eg the guards and that blue thing on the piano (forget his name). However it is redeemed greatly by the wondeful space battle at the end.

queeq
MAx Rebo...

ROTJ has the best opening sequence of all films though, and the scenes with Vader, Luke and the Emperor are awesome... THat kinda redeems the ewoks and the Jabba Palace scenes to me. AOTC has no such redeeming thread.

sithsaber408
Its sad to associate the two.... AOTC is on and off my favorite SW...ROTJ is permenantly rock bottom.

nice sig by the way... smile

Well, they both have at least a solid half hour of amazing scenes that are vital to the entire saga, and lots of filler in the middle.

I meant more that each episode is considered by (most) fans as the inferior of that trilogy.

Personally, I don't have a "lesser" of the PT, they all rule.

And thanks, I like the sig too. If your'e interested in one I know a guy who knows a guy....

@ Queeq
The scenes of Anakin on Tattooine meeting the Lars, loosing his mother, and commiting his first act of dark side murder are equal (in terms of importance to the saga as a whole) to the Vader, Luke, Palps scenes in ROTJ.

ROTJ has the best space battle, ATOC has the best land battle at the end.

The opening of ROTJ is better, though I still like Obi and Ani "In Da Club". It sort of redeems the slow start to ATOC. Also worth mention is the first scene of Anakin and Palps together. Short scene, but very good setup.

Alliance
Ha. The BoG scenes don't cut ti for you?

I love the Vader, Luke, Emperor scenes...but ROTJ is beyond slavagable...the digital horrors at Jabba's palace, the ewoks, and the unfair treatment of the empire ruin it for me.

queeq
All the emotional scenes in AOTC suck, including the ones one Tatooine. Now if we'd actually SEE Anakin slaughter the Tusken... then, maybe....

Tangible God
Ha. The BoG scenes don't cut ti for you?

I love the Vader, Luke, Emperor scenes...but ROTJ is beyond slavagable...the digital horrors at Jabba's palace, the ewoks, and the unfair treatment of the empire ruin it for me. I thought we were all beyond using graphics as excuses?

ROTJ is at the bottom of my OT list, but AOTC is at the bottom of my entire list, simply because of Hayden and Natalie, and their dialogue.

queeq
Which is a good reason. So where does ROTJ rate in your whole list?

Alliance
I thought we were all beyond using graphics as excuses?

ROTJ is at the bottom of my OT list, but AOTC is at the bottom of my entire list, simply because of Hayden and Natalie, and their dialogue.

Its not the graphics...i said "DIGITAL"...its that stupid 80's rock out song.

queeq
Which is the new edition, what about the original then, when all that is out?

Alliance
I dont mind it then. Honestly...I think the new editions are worth it though...sorry.

queeq
I like all the matte fixes, all the technical improvements, even the new Tatooine shots in ANH. It kinda needed that. What I don't like is all the color timing they did, thus ruining the original and groundbreaking look of Star Wars.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>