Need info from you Final Fantasy people

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sai1
I just finished with FFX and before I dicide whether or not to waste my time with FFX2, read the follwing gripes I have with FFX and tell me what things havn't changed in FFX2.

The battle system is no fun at all. As long as you just attack with the right person, most things die in one hit. There's even less of a challenge because there's a save point around every corner. I like the while random battle schematic but FFX goes way overboard. Battles come up every 5 - 10 seconds. I'm sorry but the story just isn't very compeling either and the story is the one thing I figured I could look forward to. Got a little interesting towrds the very end. And there are cut scenes every freaking 10 minutes! Im sitting there rolling my eye's half paying attention. I've never done that before. I'm not kidding I think half the the 60 hours I put in this game was watching cut scenes. Everyone only uses only two pieces of equipment.... Gil was pretty much pointless excepet for when you very seldomly came across someone selling a weapon with a rare attribute. My god this is the most linear RPG I've ever played. There is only one path and you cant diverge from it. Literally and figuratively! You can go back to old places either until you get to the very end of the game. You can't even change camera angles. This has got to be the first FF where there isnt even a overworld map to travel though! Worst use of the Airship ever. It seems like they are so desperate to invent some new way to level up every time. This Shpere grid is the most annoying yet...

That about sums it up I think. So how close is FFX2 to this. And also since FFXI and the rest are supposed to be on-line, are they any fun just single player?

General Kaliero
While I won't say anything about FFX (mostly because my opinion is nearly a polar opposite of yours and I don't trust myself to remain civil), I'll mention that the majority of FF gamers were... displeased by X-2, shall we say? The term "pretty princess dress-me-up" comes to mind.

XI is online period, there is no other gameplay. That's the single player, you in the online world.

XI's the only online one, though. XII will be a proper single player FF game, coming out before Christmas at least.

My advice is to get an SNES, the PlayStation FF collection, or an SNES emulator and play FFVI. That's the best in many people's opinion, though pretty soon you'll probably have dozens of people flinging around their reasons for why any one of the twelve is "the best."

Lana
I'll go with Kaliero and not really say anything about FFX because as with him, my opinion is the exact opposite of yours...though I will say that of all the level-up system in an FF game, I liked the Sphere Grid the best. The only people I've ever seen not like it didn't because they couldn't figure out how to work it.

FFX-2 I found fun, but not anything to really take seriously, though my favorite FF character is from that game. It does have a good story (though as you didn't like FFX's plot, which I thought was excellent, you might not like it), though depending on how much you get done in the game, it wrecks the ending of FFX, and the plot doesn't really come into play until about halfway through the game.

Sai1
Originally posted by Lana
I'll go with Kaliero and not really say anything about FFX because as with him, my opinion is the exact opposite of yours...though I will say that of all the level-up system in an FF game, I liked the Sphere Grid the best. The only people I've ever seen not like it didn't because they couldn't figure out how to work it.

Oh, I figured it out. And I did a really awsome job with it if I do say myself. smile It's just really annoying to have to manually go and do that every time you level. Especially when after leveling all you get is a small evasion boost or something. It wasn't like you were really customizing the characters either cause it was pretty obvious which route each character should take (except for Khimari). It only gets interesting towards the end when you've traveled almost every spot on the grid and you then decide how you use teleport, return, and friends spheres and such.

Lana
Originally posted by Sai1
Oh, I figured it out. And I did a really awsome job with it if I do say myself. smile It's just really annoying to have to manually go and do that every time you level. Especially when after leveling all you get is a small evasion boost or something. It wasn't like you were really customizing the characters either cause it was pretty obvious which route each character should take (except for Khimari). It only gets interesting towards the end when you've traveled almost every spot on the grid and you then decide how you use teleport, return, and friends spheres and such.

Oh, but you can customize your characters to hell with that.

I made Tidus a black mage once when I was playing, just for the hell of it.

And I really liked that you did everything yourself...much better than "you've gone up a level, your stats increase by this". It's all under your control. Of course, until you get towards the end and have tons of spare spheres, it's also a lesson in managing what you've got, but I definitely liked it a lot. Only thing I ever found annoying were trying to find damn level 3 key spheres, they were so hard to find. But between unlocking the locks and collecting items from monsters in Omega Ruins, I made my characters insanely powerful, and that's without even having all of their final weapons.

who?-kid
I just finished with FFX and before I dicide whether or not to waste my time with FFX2, read the follwing gripes I have with FFX and tell me what things havn't changed in FFX2.

The battle system is no fun at all. As long as you just attack with the right person, most things die in one hit. There's even less of a challenge because there's a save point around every corner. I like the while random battle schematic but FFX goes way overboard. Battles come up every 5 - 10 seconds. I'm sorry but the story just isn't very compeling either and the story is the one thing I figured I could look forward to. Got a little interesting towrds the very end. And there are cut scenes every freaking 10 minutes! Im sitting there rolling my eye's half paying attention. I've never done that before. I'm not kidding I think half the the 60 hours I put in this game was watching cut scenes. Everyone only uses only two pieces of equipment.... Gil was pretty much pointless excepet for when you very seldomly came across someone selling a weapon with a rare attribute. My god this is the most linear RPG I've ever played. There is only one path and you cant diverge from it. Literally and figuratively! You can go back to old places either until you get to the very end of the game. You can't even change camera angles. This has got to be the first FF where there isnt even a overworld map to travel though! Worst use of the Airship ever. It seems like they are so desperate to invent some new way to level up every time. This Shpere grid is the most annoying yet...

That about sums it up I think. So how close is FFX2 to this. And also since FFXI and the rest are supposed to be on-line, are they any fun just single player?
Do you have any idea of all the secrets you missed ? I thought I had found quite a few secrets, until I read a walk through... wow...

And don't get me wrong, but you complain about everything, but you still completed such a huge, pretty complicated game ? I find that a bit strange.

(It took me longer than 60 hours btw.)

If you want more freedom on your PS2, check out Dragon Quest VIII : pretty impressive game.

Lana
Originally posted by who?-kid
Do you have any idea of all the secrets you missed ? I thought I had found quite a few secrets, until I read a walk through... wow...

And don't get me wrong, but you complain about everything, but you still completed such a huge, pretty complicated game ? I find that a bit strange.

If you want more freedom on your PS2, check out Dragon Quest VIII : pretty impressive game.

There is a ton of side stuff, indeed.

I'd say average time in that game is about 50 hours. I've beaten it about 4 times and one of my files had more than 100 hours of gametime. And I still hadn't completed all the sidequests and mini-games.

BackFire

You don't need to do that everytime you level. What I did, since I'm a lazy bastard, was wait until I leveled 4 or 5 times, and than go and apply all the points. That way, you don't have to do it every 3 fights, and you're characters are noticeably stronger when you're done and gives a better feel of accomplishment than if you only gave them slight enancements after ever 3 fights.

To answer your original question, X-2 is a worse game. The battles are paced quicker, but the story takes way to long to get going. The sphere grid is gone, so you might like that aspect better.

Sai1

And I really liked that you did everything yourself...much better than "you've gone up a level, your stats increase by this". It's all under your control. Of course, until you get towards the end and have tons of spare spheres, it's also a lesson in managing what you've got, but I definitely liked it a lot. Only thing I ever found annoying were trying to find damn level 3 key spheres, they were so hard to find. But between unlocking the locks and collecting items from monsters in Omega Ruins, I made my characters insanely powerful, and that's without even having all of their final weapons.

It's under your control but like I said before, the path you take is pretty much predetermined so it's not too much different from "your stats increase by this". All the abilities/skills that a character is geared for are along the same road. Even if you did want to go another way, the keys to do so were probably not available yet. And your always had tons of spare spheres. At least I did. You get them after every single battle. I willing to bet that practically every person had the same type of characters with the same skills/abilities the first time they played the game.

As for level 3 keys, I happened to have Khimari drop by Rikkus path just to learn steal on a whim. As I said before, this is the one character that has a few options. In that fight with Khimari against those 2 other Ronso, I had him steal a huge load of level 3 keys off them. Never had any more need for those after that.

Omega Ruins was absolutely rediculous in the frequency of battles. Litterlly every 5 steps was a battle. If I didnt have a weapon with no encouter I probably wouldn't even have bothered with the place. laughing

Sai1

I don't know what percentage of secrets I found but, I'm not even interested in trying to find them all to tell you the truth. I like side quests and stuff but for this game I'm just not interested enough to bother looking for em. I assume I found the main ones like omega ruins and getting anima. Lame way of hiding stuff btw. Just randomly searching the map with that cursor while hitting the X button.

I completed the game game becuase I always complete my games (unless they're too hard and I just can't). But this especially goes for RPGs which are my favorites. And that especially goes for FF which is a series I grew up with. In all truth I'm likely to play through FFX2 and any other FF game as well. But throughout most of FFX the main thought going through my head was, "When is this gonna be over".
But hey, if I can play through the mistake known as FFVIII, I can play through anything. wink

YES! The Dragin Quest/Warrior serries is the best RPG series. They know how to do an RPG right. Every aspect of of their games is great. If they fall behind FF in any way it will have to be story but their games are so fun you don't even worry about it (not that the stories are bad by any means). If it weren't for DQ/DW 8, I never would have even gotten a PS2 untill much later.

Sai1
Originally posted by BackFire

To answer your original question, X-2 is a worse game. The battles are paced quicker, but the story takes way to long to get going. The sphere grid is gone, so you might like that aspect better.

What about stuff like having an actual world you can go around freely in and an Airship you can actually use. The linear pace of FFX is the main gripe I have with it.

BackFire
Yes, I miss the open ended world map to walk around, unfortunately that's not in FFX-2 either, and from what I understand, won't be in any future FF games, which sucks.

X-2 is both linear, and open ended. You can go to several places at once at your discretion, because you have an airship at the start, but going through the main quest of the game is easy and straight forward, you always know where you're supposed to go next to keep the story moving forward, but you don't have to.

Sai1
Oh yeah. And gil. Is it really necessary or do you wind up just amassing a huge hoard cause you don't really need it? In FFX I pretty much just used it to keep a stock of phoinex downs, softs, and other items.

BackFire
Huge amount you don't need. Money has never been a big deal in FF games, it's always been easy to get, even in the early ones.

Lana
Bah, a post of mine disappeared.

And X-2 is weird, it's mostly side-quests and such strung together to form the main part of the game. Most of the stuff in the beginning you don't need to do in any particular order, though if you, say, don't do something in Chapter 1 and go back to it in Chapter 3, it might not be there anymore.

It's only really when you hit Chapter 3 and the plot really starts that it's more a case of "okay, now you need to go here to do the next bit".

Sai1
Huge amount you don't need. Money has never been a big deal in FF games, it's always been easy to get, even in the early ones.

You used it alot in earlier games. Upgrading weapons and armour was always necessary/very helpfull. Unless I'm remembering incorrectly...

BackFire
Even then, you always had way more than you'd ever need.

Sai1
Even then, you always had way more than you'd ever need.

That certainly wasn't the case in FF1 where you had to actually buy those spells. laughing

General Kaliero
In all the old ones, I've always amassed huge amounts of Gil by at least the halfway point. And I'm the kind of person who buys all new weapons for each character whenever he reaches the next town and keeps a constant supply of pretty much every HP/MP/Status healing item at around 15.

Plenty of RPGs have it like that, just because all the money comes from battling, and battling's what the game's about. Though DQVIII keeps my money to the bare minimum, so that I have to choose who gets the one new weapon I buy in this town...

Lana
I tend to not have a massive amount of money, but I also usually try and carry as much healing stuff as possible - it's not uncommon for me to have 99 Mega-Potions and stuff like that. Plus in FFX I'd be buying as much stuff as I could for Rikku's Overdrive, not to mention buying weapons and armor.

Sai1
Originally posted by General Kaliero

Plenty of RPGs have it like that, just because all the money comes from battling, and battling's what the game's about. Though DQVIII keeps my money to the bare minimum, so that I have to choose who gets the one new weapon I buy in this town...

Don't you think that makes it alot more interesting and challenging? Otherwise they might as well just award you with a new set of everything every time you get to a new town. You should at least able to buy two or three new weapons/armour though. smile Plus when you die you have to start from the last town you saved in and you keep any experience you got but lose half your money so there's a much larger element of danger than FF where you just restart from where you last saved around the corner. And in the earlier ones, after dying you'd have to then pay through the nose to revive the rest of your party on top of losing all that gold. laughing Made going in caves an dungeons alot more scary. Not that much a problem ever since chracters had the ability to learn reviving spells so you only have to pay to bring him/her back though.

When you die in DQ your like, "ah shit". When you die in FF your set back maybe two minutes and its more like, "oh well lets try this again."

Sai1
I tend to not have a massive amount of money, but I also usually try and carry as much healing stuff as possible - it's not uncommon for me to have 99 Mega-Potions and stuff like that. Plus in FFX I'd be buying as much stuff as I could for Rikku's Overdrive, not to mention buying weapons and armor.

There were only 2 things aside from items in all of FFX that I had the urge to buy. They were two weapons you could buy from Oaka's brother. Unbelievabley weapons and armor don't affect your stats at all, only give you some attribute.

Lana
There were only 2 things aside from items in all of FFX that I had the urge to buy. They were two weapons you could buy from Oaka's brother. Unbelievabley weapons and armor don't affect your stats at all, only give you some attribute.

I'm well aware of that, but getting weapons that let you customize and put in 4 attributes/skills/whatever are well worth tracking down, especially later in the game after gathering stuff in Omega Ruins.

Sai1
I'm well aware of that, but getting weapons that let you customize and put in 4 attributes/skills/whatever are well worth tracking down, especially later in the game after gathering stuff in Omega Ruins.

They weren't that worth it (for me anyway). I hardly did any customizing at all. I did maybe 2 or three times to add 5% magic or scan. Game was simple enough to beat without really customizing at all (woot for Anima! laughing ).

Sai1
Originally posted by General Kaliero

XI is online period, there is no other gameplay. That's the single player, you in the online world.

At this point then, would it be pointless for me to get it. Can someone tell me exactly how FFXI works? Is it like Diablo or Phastasy Star Online?

Lana
They weren't that worth it (for me anyway). I hardly did any customizing at all. I did maybe 2 or three times to add 5% magic or scan. Game was simple enough to beat without really customizing at all (woot for Anima! laughing ).

Not worth it...

Give Yuna or Lulu a weapon with 1 MP cost, magic booster, and break damage limit and tell me it's not worth it when they're doing 50k-85k damage on each casting of Holy/Ultima stick out tongue

And you can't always use the aeons you know.

Sai1
Not worth it...

Give Yuna or Lulu a weapon with 1 MP cost, magic booster, and break damage limit and tell me it's not worth it when they're doing 50k-85k damage on each casting of Holy/Ultima stick out tongue

And you can't always use the aeons you know.

Yeah that's impressive but by not worth it I mean that it wasn't worth trying to accumulate all that stuff when I beat the game easily enough without it.

And you can always use aeons...

Lana
Yeah that's impressive but by not worth it I mean that it wasn't worth trying to accumulate all that stuff when I beat the game easily enough without it.

And you can always use aeons...

No you can't...there are several fights in which you cannot use the aeons.

Thunder Fox
i am glad i didn't level my aeons much toward the end anyway

Lana
Originally posted by Thunder Fox
i am glad i didn't level my aeons much toward the end anyway

It makes no difference at all.

SpadeKing

well now I know not to get either of them sad I was just going to get them tommorow morning and in my opinion 9 was hte best cause that was the only one I ever got ot play eek!

Sai1
Originally posted by SpadeKing
well now I know not to get either of them sad I was just going to get them tommorow morning and in my opinion 9 was hte best cause that was the only one I ever got ot play eek!

If you want the best ones you need to go back to the super NES era.

But who knows maybe you'll like it more than I did. But when I compare FFX to DQ/DW it just pales too much.

Sai1
No you can't...there are several fights in which you cannot use the aeons.

Were there? They must have been so easy I didn't bother to try calling them...

Lana
Originally posted by SpadeKing

I didn't like 9 because the battles were very slow.

FFX is my favorite and certainly one of the more popular ones.

MadMel
i like 7 better...its the one i started with....(yes im young, lol)...X and X-2 i thought were both decent games.....lack of overworld was the only real problem i found with them...

Kayne Archeron
people need to stop whining about 8, just because junctioning exploded their insignificant heads x-x
6 through 10 were awesome, X-2 was just a complete mistake x-x

NINJ4_BL4D3
Has anyone seen the preview for 13...............dante style killing, fighting.............which is just OMG.................
To be honest X-2 Sucks, to much dress up.

Kayne Archeron
Originally posted by NINJ4_BL4D3
Has anyone seen the preview for 13...............dante style killing, fighting.............which is just OMG.................
To be honest X-2 Sucks, to much dress up.

yeah, no kidding... also, you can't say X-2's awesome because it's all about girls this time... i dunno about you, but i don't like letting the world be handled by ditzes XD

now, if you wanna see a real world-saving woman, look at what me and Ninj4_BL4D3 have been drooling over, FF13

Sai1
I was just reading IGN's review of FFX2. The score they gave it, when compared to FFX contradicts what most people seem to be saying. It even contradicts what they say. I've been wondering for a while. Is IGN PS2 biased or just FF biased?

who?-kid
I was just reading IGN's review of FFX2. The score they gave it, when compared to FFX contradicts what most people seem to be saying. It even contradicts what they say. I've been wondering for a while. Is IGN PS2 biased or just FF biased?
Don't forget : it's just a persons opinion. A review can be interesting, but doesn't always tell the truth.

Sai1
Don't forget : it's just a persons opinion. A review can be interesting, but doesn't always tell the truth.

Is that the roundabout way of saying "yes"? smile

BackFire

Be more specific.

Besides, IGN isn't the most reliable reviews site. I like gamespot.com much more.

Lana
Is that the roundabout way of saying "yes"? smile

No, it's just him saying that the particular people reviewing that game liked it better.

I personally don't pay too much attention to reviews.

The common stance among fans and players of the FF series though is that FFX-2 fell far short of FFX.

Kayne Archeron
hm.... ever think of renting it?

leonheartmm
x-2 SUCKS

leonheartmm
X-2 is a DISGRACE to the name, final fantasy.

Kayne Archeron
yeah, pretty much =/

Sai1
Alot of people seem to be saying that FFVI is the best one but I want to clarify. Do they mean the FFVI that was released in America as FFIII or do they mean the real FFVI?

Lana
Alot of people seem to be saying that FFVI is the best one but I want to clarify. Do they mean the FFVI that was released in America as FFIII or do they mean the real FFVI?

Those are the same game.

FFVI is what it was known as in Japan, and FFIII is what it was called when released overseas.

General Kaliero
...FFVI period.

American FFIII was in fact FFVI. They just called it three because America kinda didn't get III, IV, and V back then. The logo you're looking for should have a person riding on a bipedal mech-like machine.

Edit: Darn, beat me to it, Lana! stick out tongue

Kayne Archeron
the REAL FF3 is the one that hasn't been released over here yet, but will soon come out on the DS

Sai1
Oh yeah. I guess I was kinda confusing myself. So that means there hasn't been an actually FFVI release (by title) here in America right?

BackFire
Correct, FFVI was released in America as FFIII.

General Kaliero
But VI WAS numbered correctly in the American port for the PlayStation.

Oh, and I apologize for my mistake earlier, IV was released in America, only it was numbered as FFII. Silliness abounds.

Sai1
So... Is it illegal to play roms of games like FF3, 4, 5 that were never realeased in US and thus we couldn't purchase them?

Kayne Archeron
yeah... but honestly, i've never heard of ANYONE getting busted for ROMs in my life

General Kaliero
The only way I've seen people get busted for having ROMs is when some jackass has created a fake ROM that contains a virus.

And yeah, it's technically illegal to use ROMs, but like Kayne said, there's really no way for them to stop it.

DarthSidiouss
im gonna be honest with u.. realy, it sucks... ffx2 dozent even come close to ffx. its a waste of ur money... and time

Sai1
Well, FFX2 is plauged with alot of the problems FFX has. Still I have to admit I like the way the whole garment grid sphere/dress sphere/ability learning system works a lot better than FFX's sphere grid system.

Infinity
sphere grid is most unique, and my favorite leveling-up system

Sai1
Unique is the about the only thing it's got going for it. But I went into all of bad things about the sphere grid earlier in this thread I think.

Sai1
Well, I went and found the roms for 4 and 5. Couldn't find 3 cause all searches turned up 6 instead. I must have already played 4 and 5 a long time ago cause they are just way too familiar when I started them up. Oddly enough I don't remember a single thing about them, but I remember hardly anything about 2 and 6 as well so... (wonder what that says about how much I enjoyed them. I don't recall being displeased with them. Don't really feel like re-playing them to find out though) Anyone able to find the original 3? For all I know I might have played that one too but...

Kayne Archeron
if you're looking for a ROM for 3, try the old nintendo ROMs

Sai1
old nintendo roms? Is that a website? And wasn't 3 for SNES?
Also, while going through roms I noticed something else. Was the original Final Fantasy 4 released as Final Fantasy 2 here in the west? That's what it's looking like according to some roms I saw.

Lana
FF4 was released in the US as FF2, and FF6 as FF3.

The original FF3 is for NES and you can get a rom of it, I have one ermm

Kayne Archeron
the FF3 that was on SNES in america is actually FF6, the REAL FF3 is on the NES, and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a translated ROM

Infinity
i have ff4 for gba. kain owns big grin as does edge . cecil and rydia big grin

Sai1
Well, FFX2 is now done. That's gotta be the easiest boss fight ever in an RPG. The desert boss was 100x harder. In closing, Brother is the most annoying character in any video game ever. He.... must.... die....

So what about FFXI? Being online only, do I need to bother with it?

Lana
I found the final bosses in FFX much easier than FFX-2, personally.

Blank force
well yea the battle system in ffx lets you switch out people where as you have to stick with just three characters in ffx-2

Lana
Originally posted by Blank force
well yea the battle system in ffx lets you switch out people where as you have to stick with just three characters in ffx-2

It's not that, though, I used the same three characters throughout all the final battles in FFX. I just found them far easier.

Sai1
I did die the first time I fought the FFX final boss. But that's only he got me with one of those cheap break moves that kills a character for good.

VanillaCocaCola
lol The Final Fantasy race. laughing out loud

Blank force
indeed a race raver

Kayne Archeron
12 is taking forever to get here...

Lana
Originally posted by Kayne Archeron
12 is taking forever to get here...

End of October it's supposed to be out.

It's only been out in Japan a couple months, you know.

BackFire
Comes out Halloween. Sucks because I usually have a bunch of people over for Halloween, so I'm stuck between playing one of my most anticipated games of all time all day/night or celebrating one of my favorite holidays of the year.

BackFire
****ing slow site, trying my patience making me click the button twice.

Lana
Nice double post.

I'll probably go out like I usually do on Halloween and then stay up all night playing. Or something like that.

General Kaliero
I'm thinking holiday etiquette requires partying like a fool the first half of the night, then playing the anticipated game for the other half of the night until one passes out.

Seriously, this stuff needs to be written down somewhere...

Lana
That's what I always do on Christmas/birthdays/etc stick out tongue

Swe_Bum
im doing that so often i can blink yes

Kayne Archeron
i pretty much just only do the second part unless i'm forced to do the first...

Blank force
yea

souvinir
i never knew moderators were aloud to post in threads unless there closing em

as for FFX i didnt really got that far into it (my PS2 was stolen)but i liked it quite a bit...ive never played FFX-2 but i heard it wasnt all that good

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.