Best Pirates of the Caribbean sword fighter.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr. Joke
In the Pirates of the Caribbean series, including what might happen in the third film (Davy Jones), who would say has the greatest skill with a sword?

I say Jones, as he could probably fight with his tentacled 'beard' (he seemed rather coordinated with the tentacles while playing the organ, and had them hold his hat to his head while the Duchman submerged).

His fighting style would be a lot like General Grievous' because he would fight with more than one weapon.

ESB -1138
Will is said to be the best swordsman in the movies by the screenwriters. Jack Sparrow is said to be the worse out of Will, Norrington, and Barbossa and the only reason Jack can win is because he uses his wits.

Will Turner is the best swordsman according to the screenwriters and that would be the highest form of cannon.

blackpearl44
Def. Jack........Yea, he uses his wits......he is smart, and he plays mind tricks on people..........and he is the pirate......he's never really lost a fight......

When did the screenwriters say that ESB -1138?

ESB -1138
DVD commentary

blackpearl44
Jack is the pirate, nomatter which way you look at it......not even Will can beat him......they might say that Will is the best swordsman....but they haven't really shown it.....

ESB -1138
He shown it against Jack and Norrington. Just watch the 3 way duel again and you can see that Will is clearly the best. Jack would be able to beat them all but it would be using his wits but it said best sword fighter so that would be Will.

evilm0nki3
I think Davy would suck at sowrdfighting. he can barely walk! He just hobbles around. And he cant use hsi other hand cause its just a claw..

Barbossa is very good but I'm going with jack...he is smart

Dr. Joke
True, Jack has wits, but in Dead Man's Chest they didn't help much when he tried to make Will worth more souls for Jones. Davy said Will was worth one soul and only one soul, regardless of Jack's futile attempts a barganing.

blackpearl44
^^ Right.......but nobody can change Davy's mind about the amount of souls an individual person is worth.....nomatter who is barganing.....

Nobody really won that 3-way swordfight anyway......nobody can manage to beat Jack.....regardless of who is the best swordsman......

ESB -1138
Has anyone noticed that Will gets knocked out a lot in both movies.

blackpearl44
^^ LOL yea.......

random21
i say... jack. hes smart and can outwit anyone. ^^i agree, hes never really lost a fight i dont think.

LovelyOne
When the heck did davy fight with a sword? confused

ESB -1138
Davy Jones is a complete unknown. We have no knowledge of his fighting skill. Whoever voted for Davy Jones need to rethink that. We haven't seen him in combat. For all we know he could really suck and that's why he sends out the Kraken.

Dr. Joke
In an interview with Bill Nighy at Comingsoon.net asked the question:

CS: Do you actually get to do any sword fighting in the movie?

To which Bill responded:

Nighy: I have some serious sword fighting.

Pirates 3 was being filmed at the same time a Dead Man's Chest, so this could be refering the the third installment.

Link:http://comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14949

(About half-way down)

LovelyOne
he has a crab claw...must be hard to pick up a sword.

random21
Originally posted by LovelyOne
he has a crab claw...must be hard to pick up a sword.

lol! good point

Dr. Joke
Which is why I say he might be able to use his beard tentacles (Read first post).

Dr. Joke
Barbossa and Norrington are equaly skilled with a sword according to the comentary of the first film.

Just wondering why Barbossa is ahead of Norrington.

LovelyOne
Originally posted by Dr. Joke
Which is why I say he might be able to use his beard tentacles (Read first post).

LOL lots of swords in one go..that would mean he could KICK SERIOUS ASS!

jessigem
i can't believe only 7% said liz!! she hasn't even had any training(or at least the movie hasn't said so) and she would've killed all of davy jones' crew in 2 minutes if they weren't undead. eek!

spencerspider
i got to go with jack.. he's acting funny while fighting for his life which is great

Dr. Joke
You all have read my theory, right? Just imagine if that happened, Jones would be fighting Will, Jack, and Barbossa at once.

jessigem
jones would go down. . . . . unless he can hold a sword in each tentacleeek! or was that in your theory. sorry, i didn't read it.

Dr. Joke
Yeah, he would use his tentacles to hold the swords and fight (he used them to play the organ).

Dr. Joke
It appears he has ample control of them (Read first post).

ESB -1138
Striking a key is one thing but to hold a sword is another. You actually think that Davy can fight with all these swords with his tentacles but yet you have no proof so again Davy is an unknown.

Jack is the best fighter but Will is the best sword fighter

blackpearl44
^^ Right.....Jack is the best fighter overall...because he uses his wits as well as everything else...

FG725
Originally posted by Dr. Joke
It appears he has ample control of them (Read first post). his tentacles aren't that long they would have him in reach and he would be exposing his head for attacks since he would have to move it forward when striking and from what we can tell the can't grow bigger. Besides how strong are his tentacles anyway? I doubt they'll hold swords. Maybe they can throw knives that I can picture. I imagine he'll have the Yoda effect. But since I haven't seen him yet I'm going with Will since it's just sword fighting in an all out battle if Barbossa and Davy Jones can be killed Jack would more then likely win. Though Elizabeth is also pretty damn tough and skilled.

katelovespirate
ooooo NICE THEORY about Jones. thats hott.

i had to go with Will as the best all-around swordsman, but his weakness is that he plays by the rules.

i am more partial to the Jack method of swordfighting---- confusing and manipulating your opponent, like he does with will:
"do you really think this wise boy? crossing blades with a pirate?" AKA Jack is trying to get out of fighting him at all

ESB -1138
In the list I have to say Elizabeth is the worse. Everyone else has years of exprience in sword fighting like Barbossa who kept Jack on full defense throughout their fight.

FG725
Originally posted by katelovespirate
ooooo NICE THEORY about Jones. thats hott.

i had to go with Will as the best all-around swordsman, but his weakness is that he plays by the rules.

i am more partial to the Jack method of swordfighting---- confusing and manipulating your opponent, like he does with will:
"do you really think this wise boy? crossing blades with a pirate?" AKA Jack is trying to get out of fighting him at all
I voted for Will mainly because he has more skill a just a sword fighter Originally posted by ESB -1138
In the list I have to say Elizabeth is the worse. Everyone else has years of exprience in sword fighting like Barbossa who kept Jack on full defense throughout their fight.
I think she could take on Pintel and Ragetti seperately of course maybe together they aren't very strong just pirates who are more of comic relief. erm if Barbossa and Norrington are on the same level then she can't take Norrington. But I can't see how they are on the same level

ESB -1138
I'm pretty sure Norrington is a great sword fighter. Him and Will went toe to toe and niether managed to gain the upper hand throughout their fight. And straight up sword fighting Will is better then all the others so that says that Norrington is a great sword fighter.

FG725
Originally posted by ESB -1138
I'm pretty sure Norrington is a great sword fighter. Him and Will went toe to toe and niether managed to gain the upper hand throughout their fight. And straight up sword fighting Will is better then all the others so that says that Norrington is a great sword fighter.
But I don't like Norrington no expression

ESB -1138
But that's not the case. Norrington proved to be almost as good as Will making him one of the top three best sword fighters.

Quincy Archer
Why is everyone saying Jack. Is it just because he's the favorite? ESB is right, dvd commentary lets us know that Jack is the worst fighter of all of them. This isn't a "who would win altogether" but "who is the best sword-fighter" thread. Therefore the answer canonically is Will, then Barbossa and Norrington, followed by Jack.

I would imagine Davy Jones could kick ass with a sword. If he could hold one.

ESB is the one to listen too here, he seems to know most about the fighting. Whereas Jack was overwhelmed during the 3 way duel, Norrington and Will battled it out - with Will having a slight edge.

katelovespirate
eh, we are not voting Jack on technicalities. just syle. smile

Quincy Archer
The thread is "Best Sword-Fighter"

Dvd commentary "Jack is the worst sword-fighter"

brokenxxheart14
jacks not the worst sword fighter

Quincy Archer
Then don't listen to the dvd commentary with the guys who made the movie.

You will be proven wrong.

brokenxxheart14
i dont care wut those ppl say its just IMO

Quincy Archer
I suppose you are entitled to it.

However the truth is Jack = worst sword fighter.

Still though Jack = Coolest character. I'm just speaking the truth.

brokenxxheart14
yeah he is the best character! <3

lady_captinjack
soooo true!

Escape81
He shown it against Jack and Norrington. Just watch the 3 way duel again and you can see that Will is clearly the best. Jack would be able to beat them all but it would be using his wits but it said best sword fighter so that would be Will.

Norrington and Will are equal.

I like Johnny Depp and all, but it's obvious that if it were a fight to the death, he'd eventually lose. Hell, I'd argue Barbossa is the better "sword fighter".

choosewisely
Lizzie kicked ass in DMC

Escape81
Good Lord. People are going to make me hate Johnny Depp with the constant praising. Sorry, guys. In a sheer lightsaber fight, Will, Norrington, and Barbossa would defeat him. He's a hell of a sword fighter, but not the best.

choosewisely
yeh u saw how he lost from will 2 times

LovelyOne
Will completley kicks Jacks ass at sword fighting im sorry lol laughing out loud but its true..I wish Jack could whoop him but PotC1 and PotC2" shows us that he can fight better than Jack with a sword..He would have beaten him in the first one had Jack not cheated.

His sword got knocked out of his hand in the latest one whilst up on the church roof.

Rampant ox
Barbossa is the best imo. He arguably has more experince than any of them and we could see he had the upper hand against Jack in POTC1. Also if he was to fight against Norrington and Will he wouldnt be limited to the rules - he would be more than happy to cheat whereas the others would not. This in itself gives him a significant advantage.

However I havent heard the commentary so my opinion is a bit biased. Whatever the commentary says is canon so there is no point in arguing with it.

LovelyOne
^^ I think Liz would cheat too laughing out loud

FG725
Originally posted by LovelyOne
^^ I think Liz would cheat too laughing out loud
she's getting more and more like JackOriginally posted by Escape81
Norrington and Will are equal.

I like Johnny Depp and all, but it's obvious that if it were a fight to the death, he'd eventually lose. Hell, I'd argue Barbossa is the better "sword fighter".
He'd win an all out fight to the death he could've died in Dead man's chest if not for him turning Norrington on Will. But by swordsmanship he loses. Barbossa I don't think was at all worried about Jack since he knew he couldn't die which is why he kind of just stopped fighting at one point but then a little bit later he was looking like he had to take a breather so his fighting style was kind of hard to read to me anyway erm

LovelyOne
Yes^^ she fought with two swords..totally cheating laughing out loud

FG725
anyone wanna tell me why Pintel and Ragetti are up there?

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Rampant ox
Barbossa is the best imo. He arguably has more experince than any of them and we could see he had the upper hand against Jack in POTC1. Also if he was to fight against Norrington and Will he wouldnt be limited to the rules - he would be more than happy to cheat whereas the others would not. This in itself gives him a significant advantage.

However I havent heard the commentary so my opinion is a bit biased. Whatever the commentary says is canon so there is no point in arguing with it.

Barbossa gained his skill from fighting in actually fights. And who knows how often Barbossa actually fought. Will on the other trained with many different swords for three hours a day.

I wouln'd put Barbossa on Will's level or Norrington's but he is without a doubt better then Jack. After all the screenwriters themselves said Will was the best.

FG725
Barbossa gained his skill from fighting in actually fights. And who knows how often Barbossa actually fought. Will on the other trained with many different swords for three hours a day.

I wouln'd put Barbossa on Will's level or Norrington's but he is without a doubt better then Jack. After all the screenwriters themselves said Will was the best.
he also said Barbossa and Norrington were on the same level erm

Tigerlilly
HECTOR???

FG725
Originally posted by Tigerlilly
HECTOR???
yeah,Barbossa

dhong
Jack got stabbed by Barbossa in their duel. So how come come people voted his better?

Infinity
okay look this is hwo it goes. Will = Norrington = Barbossa

Jack = worst then them, and why ? because he's a pirate stick out tongue lololol he plays dirty.

spencerspider
ok here is how i think it truly goes, i want jack to be the best but he aint sooo
Will > Barbossa > Norrington > Jack

ilvorlandobloom
Barbossa's first name is Hector? hehelaughing i never knew that one........ well i picked jack without really thinking but now i wish i chose will.

bloble
ok here is how it is, as the question states who is the best SWORDSMEN out of them its definatly will considering thats what the CREATOR claimed

now the best FIGHTER is a slightly differant matter and harder to judge considering they all bring somthing unique to the table

Will- most skilled swordsman
Jack- most clever/cunning fighter
Hector- most experienced fighter considering his age and the early age at which he started fighting
Jones- special powers including being notoriously hard to kill.

siriuswriter
Will is definitely the best swordsman - when it comes to following the rules as every gentleman would. Will doesn't fight like a pirate, which of course, is a problem since the movies are fraught with them. Jack would never have won against will in CotBP UNLESS he cheated, which means that Will can be defeated, but only if his opponent fights dirty.

rusev_ivo
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Will is definitely the best swordsman - when it comes to following the rules as every gentleman would. Will doesn't fight like a pirate, which of course, is a problem since the movies are fraught with them. Jack would never have won against will in CotBP UNLESS he cheated, which means that Will can be defeated, but only if his opponent fights dirty.

Totally agree

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.