Who to cast as Iron Man?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Vegas
My vote goes to Oded Fehr to play Tony Stark.

http://www.odedfehr.de/gallery/ifaoded042903-03.jpg
http://www.odedfehr.de/gallery/razor200211.jpg
http://www.odedfehr.de/gallery/razor004.jpg
http://www.odedfehr.de/gallery/razor19.jpg
http://www.odedfehr.de/gallery/razor010.jpg

redcaped
No, I don't think so. An Unknown

willRules
Johny Depp

Xirius
Definitely Johnny Depp.

redcaped
You Kidding. I'm sure there is a great Tony out there...look well.

Silverstein
now that i think of it Johnny Depp would be cool lol, i'd like to see him play a superhero. big grin

Darth Vegas
Favreau himself said that they were not going to go with a big name. Favreau is going with someone who definitely has experience but is not a household name.

You can pretty much count out Depp and Cruise.

He doesn't want to go with a big name actor because he doesn't want the actor to define Iron Man, but rather the other way around.

Also, big name actors that play superheroes/villains don't always translate well (ie. Clooney, Affleck, Halle, Arnold, etc.)

roughrider
Ben Affleck. shifty

redcaped
I'm gonna ignore stein. Affleck is DD don't mess with that.

willRules
Originally posted by Silverstein
now that i think of it Johnny Depp would be cool lol, i'd like to see him play a superhero. big grin

yes in the Ultimates they asked each other which actor should play who. Tony Stark was Johny Depp yes

SnakeEyes
Well, Johnny Depp would be awesome as Stark... but if you already know that an unknown is being cast as him, then what the hell is the point of this thread?

Darth Vegas
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Well, Johnny Depp would be awesome as Stark... but if you already know that an unknown is being cast as him, then what the hell is the point of this thread?

What a stupid question.

What's the point of any thread?

To get other people's views and opinions. roll eyes (sarcastic)

roughrider
With Jon Favreau directing, who's to say he wouldn't cast his buddy Vince Vaughn? eek!

The Iron Man suit - that would be a great icebreaker to crash weddings with! stick out tongue

redcaped
Iron-Mean is not Psycho!

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Darth Vegas
What a stupid question.

What's the point of any thread?

To get other people's views and opinions. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Yeah, but initially, you're asking people who they think should be cast as Iron Man, yet you also already know that an unknown is going to be cast for the role. So I guess I was a little puzzled as to why you wanted people's views on who to play Iron Man, when they would all be wrong, considering that an unknown is going to get the role. Understood? I can't make it any clearer than that, if you still don't understand what I'm trying to say and if you still percieve it as a "stupid" question, then that is entirely your fault. I'm outta here.

NoFate007
He actually probably will go with someone like Fehr. They can't go with someone too famous (especially someone like Cruise after that whole fiasco) but I can picture Favreau going with someone that he has already seen before. Fehr isn't a name you can say at the dinner table and have people know who you're talking about, but he isn't a total unknown like an Edward Furlong casting for T2 (who by the way I'm not suggesting should play Stark lol). Although I can't name an actor without thinking about it for a while, and although I can't say "yay or nay" for Fehr since I haven't seen him in any movies, I think I'm right in saying we won't see Matt Dillon or someone in the role.

Silverstein
Johnny depp won't 'tarnish' the iron man/tony stark role. he's a cool guy, i havent seen him do anything regretful, like jump around on a coach proclaiming his love for a girl half his age... roll eyes (sarcastic)

one things for sure if, depp is iron man, itll bring in some $$$. its like "oh Iron Man is the latest star-driven movie" or "lets go see Johnny Depp's new movie"

Darth Vegas
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Yeah, but initially, you're asking people who they think should be cast as Iron Man, yet you also already know that an unknown is going to be cast for the role. So I guess I was a little puzzled as to why you wanted people's views on who to play Iron Man, when they would all be wrong, considering that an unknown is going to get the role.

Who said anyone was "wrong"?

I'm simply asking everyone's opinion on who they think should play Iron Man.

Just because Favreau will choose to go with someone who isn't a big name star doesn't make anyone's opinion of who they think should play Iron Man "wrong" or less than anybody else's opinion.

Are we clear?

redcaped
roll eyes (sarcastic) ?

Praylu
Johnny Depp as Stark? Apologies, sick

Here are some of the films Oded Fehr has appeared in:

# Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) (filming)
# Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story (2005)
# Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo (2005)
# Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004)
# The Mummy Returns (2001)
# The Mummy (1999)
# Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo (1999)

I remember suggesting Ferh play Iron Man nearly two years ago, http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=306591&perpage=20&highlight=iron+man+movie+forumid%3A43&pagenumber=2

Wally West
Tom Selleck, of course!

eek!

HellMaster93
laughing Isn't he the Magnum guy (and Richard in Friends?)? if so, he's lik 60... mad

Deathstroke
I vote for Jim Caviezel.

Silverstein
YE YE JC

i dont really care big name or not, if the actor is a good actor, they should get that person. Not limit the casting to unknowns.

Praylu
It worked well enough for Clark & Wolverine. wink

Silverstein
Clark & Wolverine?

Brandon Routh and Hugh Jackman?? i still dont get your post, what worked well enough for them?

Praylu
Clark & Wolverine?

Brandon Routh and Hugh Jackman?? i still dont get your post, what worked well enough for them?

No I meant Clark Gable and artic wolverines, yes Brandon Routh and Hugh Jackman.

You claimed the casting should not be limited to unkowns within the casting of Iron Man and I followed this by implying that selecting previously unknown actors for X-Men & Superman worked for the best. Viweres find themselves more easily immersed into the universe & characters when the lead actor is not someone highly known or famous. You want to say "Hey looks it's Batman!", not say "Hey look it's Tom Cruise as Batman!".

Get my drift?

pr1983
Originally posted by Praylu
No I meant Clark Gable and artic wolverines, yes Brandon Routh and Hugh Jackman.

You claimed the casting should not be limited to unkowns within the casting of Iron Man and I followed this by implying that selecting previously unknown actors for X-Men & Superman worked for the best. Viweres find themselves more easily immersed into the universe & characters when the lead actor is not someone highly known or famous. You want to say "Hey looks it's Batman!", not say "Hey look it's Tom Cruise as Batman!".

Get my drift?

true... although... patrick stewart, kelsey grammar...

xmarksthespot
Johnny Depp as Stark? Apologies, sick

Here are some of the films Oded Fehr has appeared in:

# Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) (filming)
# Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story (2005)
# Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo (2005)
# Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004)
# The Mummy Returns (2001)
# The Mummy (1999)
# Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo (1999)

I remember suggesting Ferh play Iron Man nearly two years ago, http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=306591&perpage=20&highlight=iron+man+movie+forumid%3A43&pagenumber=2 That list of films is supposed to inspire confidence in his acting abilities... blink

Tom Crazy would be an awful choice.

Saw Johnny Depp on TV the other day and he does bear a resemblence to Stark.

It worked for Jackman, and it worked for Reeve who was a relative unknown before Donner's Superman, but whether it worked for Routh is a whole 'nother story...

DigiMark007
Patrick Stewart.

With a wig.

no expression

....make it so, number two.

Praylu
Originally posted by pr1983
true... although... patrick stewart, kelsey grammar...

I know exactly what you mean but as far as title roles, particularly Superman/Batman/etc. goes....

Blair Wind
Originally posted by Deathstroke
I vote for Jim Caviezel.

looks a little bit like him I think actually. And hes not that bad...

pr1983
I know exactly what you mean but as far as title roles, particularly Superman/Batman/etc. goes....

Yeah, i guess so...

WAIT... you saying professor X in that wolverine movie wasn't a lead role? stick out tongue

Praylu
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
That list of films is supposed to inspire confidence in his acting abilities... blink

Tom Crazy would be an awful choice.

Saw Johnny Depp on TV the other day and he does bear a resemblence to Stark.

It worked for Jackman, and it worked for Reeve who was a relative unknown before Donner's Superman, but whether it worked for Routh is a whole 'nother story...

Erm when did I say that? confused
It was posted to supply posters who are not familar with him reference to his film appearances. Those films would not pose as representations to anyone's acting ability even if it were Pacino.

Ah yes I failed to mention Reeve as well...

Yeah, i guess so...

WAIT... you saying professor X in that wolverine movie wasn't a lead role? stick out tongue

laughing

redcaped
I hate how Thor looks in ultimate, but I would love Iron-Man how he is for the movie...red & gold!

Darth Macabre
I actually wouldn't mind Christian Kane being cast for the role...He's a good actor.

Silverstein

Get my drift?

yeah, thats why you find actors that FIT the role. If they fit, there won't be any problems. You should be able to see 'so and so' play 'this character'. If i go watch see a movie with badass Biker gangs, and Tom Hanks is the lead biker...it just won't work, he wouldnt fit. Thats why you find the proper actor.

Johnny Depp can play just about any character in any movie
Jim Caviezel hasn't done anything wild to ruin himself like Cruise

and what movies did Hugh Jackman star in before Xmen?

Praylu
yeah, thats why you find actors that FIT the role. If they fit, there won't be any problems. You should be able to see 'so and so' play 'this character'. If i go watch see a movie with badass Biker gangs, and Tom Hanks is the lead biker...it just won't work, he wouldnt fit. Thats why you find the proper actor.

Johnny Depp can play just about any character in any movie
Jim Caviezel hasn't done anything wild to ruin himself like Cruise

and what movies did Hugh Jackman star in before Xmen?

Yes....exactly the reason why unkowns often "FIT" the role more efficiently than the popular A-listers, there in lies infinite variety & choice when searching for properly fitting actors to suit a role.

Johnny Depp would not work in my eyes personally, besides me not envisioning him as Tony Stark the audience would be looking at Johnny Depp and not Iron Man. This is the principle in which casting unknowns is based, the goal is to allow the audience to believe this character is alive & breathing. Someone with the status of Depp would distort the image of Iron Man we are made to believe is really there, regardless of any acting ability or appearance he may be equipped with.

Hugh Jackman's work prior to his involvement in the initial X-Men film consisted and centered around theatre acting as did that of Christopher Reeve's prior to his casting in the original Superman.

Silverstein
Yes....exactly the reason why unkowns often "FIT" the role more efficiently than the popular A-listers, there in lies infinite variety & choice when searching for properly fitting actors to suit a role.

Johnny Depp would not work in my eyes personally, besides me not envisioning him as Tony Stark the audience would be looking at Johnny Depp and not Iron Man. This is the principle in which casting unknowns is based, the goal is to allow the audience to believe this character is alive & breathing. Someone with the status of Depp would distort the image of Iron Man we are made to believe is really there, regardless of any acting ability or appearance he may be equipped with.

Hugh Jackman's work prior to his involvement in the initial X-Men film consisted and centered around theatre acting as did that of Christopher Reeve's prior to his casting in the original Superman.

well, when i watch Superman Returns, i see Brandon Routh. Not Superman. roll eyes (sarcastic)...

Praylu
well, when i watch Superman Returns, i see Brandon Routh. Not Superman. roll eyes (sarcastic)...

Amusing.....yawn It seems going any further would be deemed pointless...

Silverstein
Amusing.....yawn It seems going any further would be deemed pointless...

my point is: either way, unknown or known, people will know who 'he' is, will find out who he is. They just have to find a good actor. Its like, "you are searching for the best movie, and you ignore all the mainstream films, and pick one of those limited released films to be the best film." i hope thats clear lol

Darth Vegas

That's exactly why Favreau is going with a relative unknown, but with some acting experience. He wants Iron Man to define the actor and not the other way around (ie. George Clooney's Batman, Ben Affleck's Daredevil, etc.)

Praylu
That's exactly why Favreau is going with a relative unknown, but with some acting experience. He wants Iron Man to define the actor and not the other way around (ie. George Clooney's Batman, Ben Affleck's Daredevil, etc.)

thumb up

At last, another is watching this from the same angle as I. There is great talent to be found with unknowns, because as I said before there in lies a vast variety of actors & abilities to choose from.

Darth Vegas

Not me.

I saw Superman.

Why? Because I didn't know who the hell Brandon Routh was.

That's why someone who is relatively unknown works so well as a character. (with the exception of Patrick Stewart; with his acting chops, he was perfect as Prof. X. Not once did I think of Capt. Picard when I saw the X-Men flicks.)

Silverstein

if Iron Man is a flop, then they actor would regret it wont he? afterall, that movie and the iron man character will define him. George Clooney and Ben Affleck dont fit lol.

I still wanna see Caviezel or possibly Depp play the part IF any hollywood actor should be chosen.

(random info: i heard Singer was going to cast Caviezel as Superman before his decision to cast an unknown.)

Darth Vegas
if Iron Man is a flop, then they actor would regret it wont he?

Of course. What actor doesn't regret being in a flop?

And casting a big name, A-List actor doesn't automatically make it a box office hit. Especially when the actor just doesn't fit the role.

Just because Johnny Depp is a hot name right now and can grow a goatee (a bad one at that) doesn't necessarily mean that he's perfect for the role of Tony Stark.

afterall, that movie and the iron man character will define him. George Clooney and Ben Affleck dont fit lol.

You completely missed my point.

Hugh Jackman was relatively unknown (to me anyway) when he was cast as Wolverine. I had no clue who the guy was. I wasn't like, "hey there's Hugh Jackman with Adamantium claws". Instead, I totally bought into the character because the name "Hugh Jackman" didn't have any significance to me.

When I saw "Batman and Robin", I didn't see the character of either Bruce Wayne or Batman.

I saw George Clooney instead.

I didn't say, "hey, there goes Batman". Instead, I saw George Clooney running around in a Batman costume.

Same deal with Daredevil and Affleck.

IMO, casting too big of a name tends to take away from the character that is being portrayed.

Scarlet_Spidey

Silverstein
Of course. What actor doesn't regret being in a flop?

And casting a big name, A-List actor doesn't automatically make it a box office hit. Especially when the actor just doesn't fit the role.

Just because Johnny Depp is a hot name right now and can grow a goatee (a bad one at that) doesn't necessarily mean that he's perfect for the role of Tony Stark.

Hugh Jackman was relatively unknown (to me anyway) when he was cast as Wolverine. I had no clue who the guy was. I wasn't like, "hey there's Hugh Jackman with Adamantium claws". Instead, I totally bought into the character because the name "Hugh Jackman" didn't have any significance to me.

When I saw "Batman and Robin", I didn't see the character of either Bruce Wayne or Batman.

I saw George Clooney instead.

I didn't say, "hey, there goes Batman". Instead, I saw George Clooney running around in a Batman costume.

Same deal with Daredevil and Affleck.

IMO, casting too big of a name tends to take away from the character that is being portrayed.

i didnt name Depp cuz i felt he was the 'hottest name' currently. I just felt that he was suitable for the role more than probably 80% of the other a list actors.

yeah, i didnt know hugh jackman either, or atleast most of the xmen cast except prof x, toad(darth maul haha), and some others...

RogerRamjet
Tom Selleck would be a great Tony Stark and James Gandolfini as The Beetle eek!

Silverstein
im suprised no one blurted Vin Diesel or The Rock as Tony Stark lol or atleast War Machine hahaha

xmarksthespot
Not me.

I saw Superman.

Why? Because I didn't know who the hell Brandon Routh was.

That's why someone who is relatively unknown works so well as a character. (with the exception of Patrick Stewart; with his acting chops, he was perfect as Prof. X. Not once did I think of Capt. Picard when I saw the X-Men flicks.) Really? I saw Brandon Routh doing a subpar Christopher Reeve impression...

This is the Google and Wikipedia age.

Silverstein
yeah, he DOES look like he's doing an impression of Christopher Reeve, but it might just be a coincidence. I've seen Brandon talk on tv a lot recently, and he has a similar speech pattern, eerily similar to Reeve. But Singer has been called a copycat for trying to copy the old Supe movies instead of making something modern

RogerRamjet
no War Machine would be given to the guy who plays the President on 24..he's huge..Dennis Haysbert!

http://www.sportshollywood.com/images/haysbert.gif

Praylu
Really? I saw Brandon Routh doing a subpar Christopher Reeve impression...

That's not what he meant....

i didnt name Depp cuz i felt he was the 'hottest name' currently. I just felt that he was suitable for the role more than probably 80% of the other a list actors.

See below:

Darth Vegas
Really? I saw Brandon Routh doing a subpar Christopher Reeve impression...

This is the Google and Wikipedia age.

I didn't know who Brandon Routh was and up until Superman, I didn't care. And I certainly didn't care enough about him to Google him.

Yes, Routh had a lot of the same mannerisms as Christopher Reeve (Reeve portraying Clark Kent anyway). To me, Superman/Clark's onscreen incarnation was devised by Reeve, so seeing Routh immitating Reeve made Routh as Superman that much more believable.

xmarksthespot
A talented actor, with a good script and direction makes the portrayal believable. I don't see Charlize Theron in Monster I see Aileen Wuornos, Patrick Stewart became Xavier in X-Men, there aren't flashing lights in my head screaming Ian McKellen when I see Gandalf in LOTRs. Brandon Routh was still just a guy in a costume trying to emulate Christopher Reeve in SR.

An unknown is not necessary for a believable portrayal, nor does it guarantee one.

Darth Vegas
A talented actor, with a good script and direction makes the portrayal believable. I don't see Charlize Theron in Monster I see Aileen Wuornos, Patrick Stewart became Xavier in X-Men, there aren't flashing lights in my head screaming Ian McKellen when I see Gandalf in LOTRs. Brandon Routh was still just a guy in a costume trying to emulate Christopher Reeve in SR.

An unknown is not necessary for a believable portrayal, nor does it guarantee one.

Of course casting an unknown doesn't necessarily guarantee a believable portrayal.

Obviously, the actor's talent has a huge part to do with it. Despite not being a household name when casted in X-Men, Jackman's considerable acting ability was a major factor in him pulling off the character of Wolverine.

I agree with you that a talented actor, with a good script and direction makes the portrayal believable.

This goes to show that Ben Affleck and George Clooney are not actors in the league of McKellan and Stewart.

Praylu

Actually....

xmarksthespot
Actually.... Batman? The first role I saw Christian Bale in was Empire of the Sun.

Praylu
Batman? The first role I saw Christian Bale in was Empire of the Sun.

Yes, but he was not well known (as those previously mentioned) and stuck closely to independent or lesser known films.

xmarksthespot
Christian Bale wasn't an unknown and is a poor example to illustrate unknowns in lead roles.

Praylu
Christian Bale wasn't an unknown and is a poor example to illustrate unknowns in lead roles.

*sigh* Read again, you'll notice I did not say he was an unknown...

Yes, but he was not well known (as those previously mentioned) and stuck closely to independent or lesser known films.

Darth Vegas

At the time he was casted for BB, he certainly wasn't A-List.

He was probably best known for American Psycho and Reign of Fire. Prior to that, Empire of the Sun.

True he wasn't a complete unknown, but he certainly wasn't a household name.

Praylu
Exactly, thumb up

xmarksthespot
*sigh* Read again, you'll notice I did not say he was an unknown... In the context of this quote in which Batman is used as an example it is implied erm

Praylu
In the context of this quote in which Batman is used as an example it is implied erm

I made sure to make it clearly obvious he was not, in this post after the one your referring to. erm

You'll take notice to the fact I mentioned "he was not well known as those previously mentioned" meaning those listed in your post prior to the below.

xmarksthespot
erm This:
Was in reference to this:
In the context of this:
YE YE JC

i dont really care big name or not, if the actor is a good actor, they should get that person. Not limit the casting to unknowns. Originally posted by Praylu

Get my drift? Originally posted by pr1983
true... although... patrick stewart, kelsey grammar... Originally posted by Praylu
I know exactly what you mean but as far as title roles, particularly Superman/Batman/etc. goes.... Originally posted by xmarksthespot

An unknown is not necessary for a believable portrayal, nor does it guarantee one. Originally posted by Praylu
Actually....Originally posted by Praylu

pr1983
erm This:

In the context of this:

i got quoted... embarrasment big grin

Praylu
Erm...I just explained this to you...and additionally you reponded after this post, not the other.

xmarksthespot
Erm...I just explained this to you...and additionally you reponded after this post, not the other. no expressionOriginally posted by xmarksthespot
erm This:

In the context of this:
Big picture.

xmarksthespot
i got quoted... embarrasment big grin You're a star, man... enjoy the shine while it lasts... celebrity is fleeting...

pr1983
You're a star, man... enjoy the shine while it lasts... celebrity is fleeting...

*basks in the temporary adulation* big grin

xmarksthespot
*basks in the temporary adulation* big grin *basks in PR's reflected glory.*

pr1983
*basks in PR's reflected glory.*

big grin

Praylu
This is what transpired...

Batman? The first role I saw Christian Bale in was Empire of the Sun.

And as I mentioned before, reading the post above would make it clear I did not refer to Bale as an unkown but rather less known, regardless of what you may have thought the other post implied seeing as this one was after the one in question. wink

Additionally in reality he was virtually unknown to the mainstream eye, bar the cult following he had developed prior to his casting in Batman Begins which is not remotely near a "well known" level.

Good day....

pr1983

And as I mentioned before, reading the post above would make it clear I did not refer to Bale as an unkown but rather less known, regardless of what you may have thought the other post implied seeing as this one was after the one in question. wink

Additionally in reality he was virtually unknown to the mainstream eye, bar the cult following he had developed prior to his casting in Batman Begins which is not remotely near a "well known" level.

Good day....

You took my 15 mins... cry

Praylu
You took my 15 mins... cry

Sorry embarrasment

Btw, I'm off now and I'll be posting in the rp later.

xmarksthespot

Good day.... The thread is about who should be cast as Iron Man. You've maintained an unknown would be best. You used Batman as an example of how title roles with unknowns are better. I referred to that comment in the context of the thread as a whole - Christian Bale i.e. Batman is a poor example to illustrate unknowns in lead roles.

The only recent example that comes to mind is Jackman's Wolverine portrayal. Routh was a destitute man's Christopher Reeve.

The only thing that matters in the end is acting ability.

You took pr's 15 minutes. You fiend!

pr1983
Sorry embarrasment

Btw, I'm off now and I'll be posting in the rp later.

Good big grin

read the updates section too...

The thread is about who should be cast as Iron Man. You've maintained an unknown would be best. You used Batman as an example of how title roles with unknowns are better. I referred to that comment in the context of the thread as a whole - Christian Bale i.e. Batman is a poor example to illustrate unknowns in lead roles.

The only recent example that comes to mind is Jackman's Wolverine portrayal. Routh was a destitute man's Christopher Reeve.

hysterical

you guys are awesome... laughing

Praylu
The thread is about who should be cast as Iron Man. You've maintained an unknown would be best. You used Batman as an example of how title roles with unknowns are better. I referred to that comment - Christian Bale i.e. Batman is a poor example to illustrate unknowns in lead roles.

I suppose we can agree to disagree regarding Bale's state of popularity among movie-goers, however I do believe this link speaks for itself: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=christianbale.htm

Routh as Superman is up to personal opinion.

You provoked it stick out tongue

Good big grin

read the updates section too...

hysterical

you guys are awesome... laughing

Will do, thumb up

Praylu never fails to amuse, stick out tongue

pr1983
I suppose we can agree to disagree regarding Bale's state of popularity among movie-goers, however I do believe this link speaks for itself: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=christianbale.htm

Routh as Superman is up to personal opinion.

You provoked it stick out tongue

Will do, thumb up

Praylu never fails to amuse, stick out tongue

Routh sucked... a copy is never as good as the original... period.

Praylu
Routh sucked... a copy is never as good as the original... period.

Singer wanted an unknown who resembled Reeve (voice, appearance, etc.) as much as possible so it was bound to happen even if it wasn't Routh and an A-list type actor would not have worked for obvious reasons. With Singer on-board no actor would have been what we wanted him to be...sadly.

xmarksthespot
Routh sucked... a copy is never as good as the original... period. Like when you Xerox a colour photo...

pr1983
Singer wanted an unknown who resembled Reeve (voice, appearance, etc.) as much as possible so it was bound to happen even if it wasn't Routh and an A-list type actor would not have worked for obvious reasons. With Singer on-board no actor would have been what we wanted him to be...sadly.

I wanted someone new... someone more... i dunno... mature looking? More, man of steel who's been doing this gig for years sorta thing...

Like when you Xerox a colour photo...

Either that is a cheap shot or you agree with me... stick out tongue

xmarksthespot
I wanted someone new... someone more... i dunno... mature looking? More, man of steel who's been doing this gig for years sorta thing...

Either that is a cheap shot or you agree with me... stick out tongue The latter of course... shifty

pr1983
The latter of course... shifty

lol... its 6.30 am... i need some sleep... but yeah... people agree with me... more fame! Later...

colossus_2000
Okay, tyring to steer the ship back on course, I'll post my thoughts.

I have always thought of Tony Stark as a Bond 007 type kinda guy, but with a hell of a lot more depth. He is smart, very smart. He designed a suit of armour that can do fly, and fight and parallel park etc. He also has the whole great alchohoholic side to him. So he is a smart Bond, but nicely sozzled. So why not the one man who should have been Bond, but missed out on to a wimp...

Of course I'm talking about Clive Owen.

He has a great voice (and lets face it, it's going to be a lot of voice through mask work), and is not too big an actor to ruin it, but not too small an actor to not live up to his role.

Thoughts?

nimbus006
I like Clive Owen very much as Iron Man.

roughrider
I bet you they will look at Colin Farrell, to play Tony.

Silverstein
i cant picture Clive Owen with a mustache. and they wont get colin ferrel, they're going for some unknown actor. clive owen is like a b-list celeb a list under the radar.

colossus_2000
They'd have to go with the cool goatee thing Tony's had for the last few years. The msutache is a little dated...

Personally, I can't see anyone else who can fill this role as well as Clive Owen.

Good actor + not to big for his boots = keep fan boys happy

Silverstein
does he keep fanboys happy?? ive only heard his name from a couple people here.

outavodka
clive duznt let u down hed be a good tony/ last i heard the dude that played Angel wanted the part in some body building magazine GOD LET HIM BE JOKING!

Silverstein
the actor that played Angel had an annoying voice.

just throwing a name in to the iron man casting

what about Karl Urban (lotr/doom)

colossus_2000
I really like Karl Urban, he's a really good actor, but I just think he's too young to play Tony. Anyone can do a good job once in the suit, so it's really casting Tony Stark that's the problem.

pr1983
Why does every bloody superhero thread have clive owen as a suggestion to play a superhero? First its the Superman forum, now this?

The guy is just... wrong... wrong dammit!

End of outburst... embarrasment

MattDay
karl urban could do it, for some reason i see ashton kutcher becoming a superhero soon, not sure who he could be, just got an inkling feeling that he's looking for one, maybe a young or just as hal jordan... he could pull that off after seeing that disaster film he was in recently... what do you guys think, he plays serious roles just as good as comic roles

Wolfie
ComingSoon.net just reported that Robert Downey Jr. will be Iron Man.

xmarksthespot
He's smarmy enough and can definitely play an addict...

Lucid Lui
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=85852

I'm happy with the choice. Very happy actually.

At first it seemed a little off, but Downey's a great actor and i think he could make a great Tony Stark.

Now i'm excited for this movie.

nimbus006
I dont know I just see Downey Jr. as that weird kid in Johnny be good. He is a very versatile actor so maybe he can surprise me.

Carl Urban would be perfect actually. He is not to young b/c the story is taking place back when Tony first started out as Iron Man.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.