Aberforth

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

APIECEOFME
Ok, so I've searched but didn't find a thread devoted only to Aberforth theories. I'm curious to know what everyone thinks. How important will he be, what role will he play, was he close to Albus etc.

To start off I came across this passage in OotP that I never gave much thought to and would like to know if anyone thinks it's significant. It's in chapter 17 when Sirius is telling the trio that the the witch under the veil in the Hog's Head was actually Mundungus who overheard them. Sirius says Mundungus was "banned from the Hog's Head twenty years ago, and that barman's got a long memory."

So Aberforth has a long memory, this may come in handy in the last book!

What does everyone think?

Barker
Originally posted by APIECEOFME
Ok, so I've searched but didn't find a thread devoted only to Aberforth theories. I'm curious to know what everyone thinks. How important will he be, what role will he play, was he close to Albus etc.

To start off I came across this passage in OotP that I never gave much thought to and would like to know if anyone thinks it's significant. It's in chapter 17 when Sirius is telling the trio that the the witch under the veil in the Hog's Head was actually Mundungus who overheard them. Sirius says Mundungus was "banned from the Hog's Head twenty years ago, and that barman's got a long memory."

So Aberforth has a long memory, this may come in handy in the last book!

What does everyone think?
srug

It's weird that Aberforth, the Barman of the Hog's Head (Who banned Dung from the Bar in the First place) was doing business with Dung in HBP.

I think that'd have more signifigance than a long memory.

APIECEOFME
That's interesting, I had just assummed he was doing business w/ Dung to keep tabs on him for DD (I personally think Albus and Aberforth were regularly in touch if not working together)

The Phantom
Don't get pissed, but I swear somewhere there was a thread on Aberforth... bot the person who started it didn't know how to spell his name. Either way, this one is better. I haven't given the man much thought. What do we know of Aberforth all together? Someone make a list!

APIECEOFME
Good idea! Here's what I got from the Lexicon:

He's tall and thin and wears glasses. He is "a grumpy-looking old man with a great deal of long grey hair and beard."

He was in the original Order of the Phoenix.
Moody says he was "a strage bloke"
He was prosecuted for practicing "inappropriate charms on a goat"
And Albus wasn't sure if he could read or not.

That's pretty much all we know about him.

allofyousuckkk
wait, he's the barman? i didn't know that, i just remember him being mentioned

The Phantom
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
wait, he's the barman? i didn't know that, i just remember him being mentioned This was news to me too.

APIECEOFME
Well it's not in the books, but JKR confirmed some people's suspisions in an interview. wink

allofyousuckkk
can we have a link to this interview?

Council#13
Anyone have a discription of the barman?

Barker

APIECEOFME
Thanks Barker! And your question earlier really got me thinking....why was he doing business w/ Dung if he banned him in the first place? Crazy!

Originally posted by Council#13
Anyone have a discription of the barman?
The physical descrition on Aberforth that I posted above, was pretty much the description of the barman.

confused confused blink confused

Nannibef
Aberforth and Dung were probably discussing stuff about the Order, because they're both in it. Another clue about Aberforth in the books, a side from being tall and thing like Dumbledore, and the goat thing, Harry says he looks as though he had seen him before. This may be, of course, just him looking like Dumbledore, but also because Harry saw him in the picture Moody showed him at the beginning of the book at Grimmauld Place. (The old Order picture.)

People in the Order really don't have to like each other too much, Molly hates Dung, and they're working toward the same goal.

The Phantom
I'm curious. If Aberforth looks a bit like DD, do you think it could be possible between the two, after a little work, to switch places? That the person talking to Dung could actually have been Dumbledore in a Aberforth disguise and Aberforth dying in a Dumbledore disguise? Just a thought.

APIECEOFME
I agree that it could have been Albus talking to Dung in Hogsmead, but as far as it being Aberforth who died....I don't know, Harry had just spent the whole night with him, I think he would have known. Also, Like Nannibef says, Aberforth could only look familiarto Harry because Moody had shown him the picture of the first Order.

There is more to Aberforth than we know. I know that....and I'm loving everyone's ideas!!
thumb up

ndfreak
the barman is aberforth dd's bro because it sez so on jkr's website

Council#13
Originally posted by APIECEOFME
Thanks Barker! And your question earlier really got me thinking....why was he doing business w/ Dung if he banned him in the first place? Crazy!

The physical descrition on Aberforth that I posted above, was pretty much the description of the barman.

confused confused blink confused

Oh no expression

APIECEOFME
Originally posted by Council#13
Oh no expression
I know...we don't know very much about either but I really do think he'll play a part in the last book, I just don't know what that part will be. huh

air
ok so does Harry actually know who the barman in the Hogs Head is? does he know its Aberforth? and if not do you reckon he'll find out in book 7? because nowhere in the books and ive just read all thtough them (yes again) and its not moentioned that Harry has formed the link...although in book 6 Dumbledore makes several references to knowing people in bars etc...

The Phantom
Originally posted by air
ok so does Harry actually know who the barman in the Hogs Head is? does he know its Aberforth? and if not do you reckon he'll find out in book 7? because nowhere in the books and ive just read all thtough them (yes again) and its not moentioned that Harry has formed the link...although in book 6 Dumbledore makes several references to knowing people in bars etc... Did you read the page? some of those questions can be answered if you do.

air
yes but it doesn't answer my question of
1) does Harry know that the barman of the Hog's Head is Abeforth - Dumbledores brother
2) ok yes it does question somewhat about his role in book 7

APIECEOFME
Hey Air!
Harry doesn't know that the barman is Aberforth yet. I'm assuming that he'll make the connection or find out another way in book 7 though. yes

allofyousuckkk
i dont get the goat hint, can someone elaborate?

The Phantom
Aberforth was known to do tests on goats.

APIECEOFME
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.harrymedia.com/img/data/media/189/aberforth.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.harrymedia.com/img/details.php%3Fimage_id%3D12884&h=200&w=172&sz=8&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=h6arHy0Y4wfhpM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=89&prev=/ images%3Fq%3Daberforth%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr
%3D

Just found this picture of the person who will be playing Aberforth in OotP!

air
he lol looks as though he'd play a good role....and thankyou APIECEOFME for answering my question!!

APIECEOFME
wink Anytime Air!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.