The sea Goddess Calypso? (spoiler warning)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LovelyOne
just read this on wikipedia

This is an interesting concept..LIz being the human form of Calypso, Davy's wife will Davy try to get her back? Or is it Tia? hmmmm

Also that must mean Davy has always looked like squid face...and he was to be married to a sea godess but she ran away?

FG725
Originally posted by LovelyOne

This is an interesting concept..LIz being the human form of Calypso, Davy's wife will Davy try to get her back? Or is it Tia? hmmmm

Also that must mean Davy has always looked like squid face...and he was to be married to a sea godess but she ran away?
Yeah read that awhile back but I don't Davy Jones was as disgusting as he currently is. I think he's like the others over time growing more and more like a sea creature. So he may have had his octopus face before but I doubt he had other features like maybe he didn't have his claw

blackpearl44
Hmm.......interesting.......another thing we may see in the trailors...

jessigem
wasn't calypso supposed to be the most irresistable and beautiful person/thing in mythology?
i guess it's possible that liz could be her, BUT TIA?! maybe tia dalma would be pretty if she washed her face or something. . . . . i can't really tell.

blackpearl44
LOL!!^^

brokenxxheart14
haha yea and brush her teeth.

katelovespirate
tia might wear her dirty body like a disguise. i personally think they cast someone young and beautiful for a reason- and dirtied her up to throw us off. they could have cast someone old and decrepit if that character was really meant to be that way. i think tia has the potential to be gorgeous if she were cleaned up a bit... which we may get to see in the next one. Plus, this way, she's more interesting. she's got a history and a story. she isnt just another annoying pretty face.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by jessigem
wasn't calypso supposed to be the most irresistable and beautiful person/thing in mythology?
i guess it's possible that liz could be her, BUT TIA?! maybe tia dalma would be pretty if she washed her face or something. . . . . i can't really tell.

Perhaps Tia made herself look that way to hide from Davy Jones

katelovespirate
good thought! i like that.

Quincy Archer

Yeah I was reading that too. It is very hard to call. Like you said before, I believe Will and Elizabeth's relationship will mirror Davy's and his former loves. However their story will end on a better note (as in Will and liz reconcile.)

I do think that Tia has something to do with Calypso. Apparentely someone pointed out that both Tia and Davy have the same lockets?

lovethemtigers
Originally posted by jessigem

The actress that plays Tia is very beautiful - so without her makeup she would be a beauty..

lovethemtigers
Originally posted by katelovespirate
tia might wear her dirty body like a disguise. i personally think they cast someone young and beautiful for a reason- and dirtied her up to throw us off. they could have cast someone old and decrepit if that character was really meant to be that way. i think tia has the potential to be gorgeous if she were cleaned up a bit... which we may get to see in the next one. Plus, this way, she's more interesting. she's got a history and a story. she isnt just another annoying pretty face.

Yeah and if they let her clean up - then maybe Will can notice how beautiful she is - she was very drawn to Will. That way we would have a way for Jack and Lizzie be together. I just wonder what she really meant when she said the Will had a certain destiny about him....Or maybe Tia will try to rekindle her relationship with Jack, thus bringing out the jealous streak in Elizabeth.....

brokenxxheart14
hah that would be good.

LovelyOne
I did classical civilisations at college as well as film and I learned alot about Greek Mythology.

I just remembered that Calypso (in greek mythology) does tend to go with mortal men..but... being a goddess she can never be controlled by them. If she went with another god then she would be controlled. Maybe thats why Davy cut his heart out..to make himself more like a sea god. which he kinda Is...

Now this is interesting because if it IS Elizabeth (in a scrip seo feng seems to think its her) then that would explain why she is turning so wild..and has always had this fascination with pirates and the lifestyle since childhood. She seems to be called to the sea as if its embedded deep with in her.

And if what the director says about Will mirrororing what happened with Davy Jones IS true..then It would make more sense if it IS Liz is Calypso in human form...Tia seems to think Will has a similar destiny to Davy..she also seems to know that Will's Liz is also becoming uncontrollable. (the hut scene)

But I agree too with the dirtied up Tia..as if its trying to throw us off the scent a bit. she seems to have lots of powers too that normal people dont have..She also has a hut on water...sea goddess/water..ya know..

katelovespirate
i think it would be really neat if Liz were it... BUT i would still put my money on it being Tia.

I also thing there is a likely chance of Liz and Will reconciling, meh... its seems to fit with the trilogy more. But There are still a billion reasons why she should be with Jack.

Yeah i think its Tia... and I think she is pretty dangerous and might wreak some havoc in the next one...

lovethemtigers
i think it would be really neat if Liz were it... BUT i would still put my money on it being Tia.

I also thing there is a likely chance of Liz and Will reconciling, meh... its seems to fit with the trilogy more. But There are still a billion reasons why she should be with Jack.

Yeah i think its Tia... and I think she is pretty dangerous and might wreak some havoc in the next one...

I sure hope Callypso is Tia and not Elizabeth - that would be just too weird...I know you are probably right about Liz and Will. I should start preparing myself, but I can't keep fantasing about all the things that could transpire between Jack and Liz...

I've read many romance novels -course I know we are talking about Disney - but sometimes these love stories will start where the lead lady is in love with a good, honest man...then enters a dashing, seemingly dangerous stranger who turns her world upside down, who she is attracted to, flirts with, but still demands she still loves her first love...but then fate intervenes and she finally ends up with her one true love - the dashing stranger....
Sounds like our Captain Jack Sparrow

Syren

Also that must mean Davy has always looked like squid face...and he was
to be married to a sea godess but she ran away?

I definitely don't think it's Elizabeth, I'd be much more inclined to believe the Tia Dalma version. Simply because Davy Jones hasn't really shown an interest in Elizabeth whatsoever, there's no attraction to him (admittedly, he's a bit squiddy) or even comprehension of who he is on the part of Elizabeth, Tia Dalma has a similar locket and is, insofar as her human form can portray, quite mythical and supernatural.

On top of that, it just wouldn't be suitable for Elizabeth to turn out to be some kind of ancient goddess, or Davy's lost lover.

Oh yeah, and there's the odd feelings she's having regarding Sparrow. How do those fit into her being Calypso?

(Just my opinions, please feel free to argue against big grin )

LovelyOne
But maybe disney are trying to make it look as if its Tia when its actually Liz. Tia is the obvious choice isnt she..

Syren
But Liz seems a really unlikely choice. I know this generally means it's the right choice but I also don't think it would work well with the storyline... even the most unlikely choices should have the potential to make a stunning finale. Liz being Calypso just doesn't suit a fantastic finish.

WickedWench
My money`s on Tia being Calypso - definately! She`s a major player in the third film and I reckon she`s gonna cause some fireworks! She`s beautiful enough too! OKay, she`s a bit slack on dental hygiene, granted, but other than that I think she`s ok! Of course, there could be some reason behind that black stuff in her gob! Something to do with a spell, or some kind of side effect of disguising herself .....

Syren
She could have been having secret midnight trysts with Jones; the black stuff could be his ink laughing out loud

WickedWench
I have one thing to say to that - Ewww! Lol

Syren
Sorry, just a silly idea stick out tongue

katelovespirate
i like that silly idea, in a big way. seriously. good thought!

WickedWench
Lol. I don`t mind the black stuff - it`s so her! Ha ha. Only she could get away with it ...

LovelyOne
Originally posted by Syren
She could have been having secret midnight trysts with Jones; the black stuff could be his ink laughing out loud

OMG haha thats true..I was constantly thinking "has she been chewing an ink cartridge?" It would make sense if she's been havin secret kisses with octapus face.

Syren
'Octopus Face' laughing

jessigem
laughing out loud
i like your avatar syren.big grin
. . . . . . . . . that's weird that your name is syren, when we're talking about calypso. and calypso draws sailors in like the sirens. except the sirens use their voices and calypso uses her beauty.
~ so would that make tia evil? since calypso is kinda evil in The Odyssey. . . . . .

lovethemtigers
i like that silly idea, in a big way. seriously. good thought!

That was a great thought - espeically since Jack calls it ink in reference to The Squid Man.

spencerspider
maybe she was evil, then turned good

katelovespirate
i dont think she is evil, but i do think she is dangerous and unpredictable....

jessigem
danger danger shifty
i think she's VERY unpredictable(i.e. jar of dirt) but not so dangerous. maybe to people she doesn't like. . . . . . . .

Jcksparrows
No... The Chinese pirate guy Sao Feng thought that Elizabeth might be the Goddess Calypso and right before he died, Elizabeth told him she wasn't.

katelovespirate
woah he dies? shoot. i like him i think. lol.

Jcksparrows
You probably won't but maybe you will... He might not die, but what I've read it said he would but it WAS just the first draft.

jessigem
if he has a cool moustache I'LL like him.

i love your siggy pic by the way jcksparrows. and your avatar. pretty awesome happy

Jcksparrows
Ha ha! Thanks!

jessigem
it's that cheesy smile that made me fall in love with that monkey.happy

libertine713
Actually the black stuff in her teeth is a type of hallucenigin type drug that was commonly found in those parts in that time... sorry to kill the funny of kissing squid face =P

-Libertine

sccch
Well, the actress that plays her says Tia is going to have a dramatic departure.

katelovespirate
you bet she will... im seeing galadriel-esque moments of atomic anger... LOL...
tia's on drugs? thats funny, and makes sense. i bet jack is on them too sometimes then. hahaha. smile

willofthewisp
She'll get impaled on the Flying Dutchman..... I don't know.
Remember, Liz is the second choice for Calypso because Liz is the only other woman besides Tia! Anamaria is gone with her own ship and I doubt she's coming back. Plus, if there are subtle hints that she should be with Jack, then there are even more hints that she is all too human and not a goddess.
1. We see her as a child, fascinated by pirates. I think a goddess wouldn't impress as easily.
2. She has a dad, and it was more common back then to lose parents, so I really think she had a mom and losing that mom probably helped give her that independence we all love about her.
3. Corsets stifle her breathing. If she's a goddess, or even a reincarnation of a goddess, wouldn't she be, I don't know, magnificent or something all dolled up instead of huffing and puffing?

jdl1224

Dang it LovelyOne- i'm gone for like 3 days and you start like 3 major threads. BUH. Alright, here comes my thoughts. smile

I REALLY don't think it's Liz. Of course I could be wrong, and I'm usually thinking the way no one else does (as in Tia is horribly BAD) but I really just don't think it's Liz.

Someone has already said that Tia has all the powers like a Goddess would, and sure Liz is facinated by pirates but I just don't believe it could be her. There are so many clues indicating that Tia will end up being Calypso, at least in my opinion. And it does look like he has ink all over her face- but couldnt that be another clue linking her to Davy? They resemble each other. Just like people were saying Liz and Jack's costumes resemble each other- and now they are falling in loooove. smile

willofthewisp
jd, I love how you write. It may be a long process, but I hope Jack and Liz stop falling and actually land hard in love.
If anyone here needs a Jack/Liz fix, or any kind of fix really, there is actually a lot of great stuff on fanfiction.net. Some of the universes have a lot of crap, but the pirates universe has a great variety and decent writing.

katelovespirate
Yeah I agree, totally think it is Tia and not Liz.

I mean, to the average person, even Tia being Calypso will come across as a shocker. ya know?

Liz is def. human. but i could see tia giving her the option of becoming immortal or something. everyone else is the films have had their brush with immortality, except liz and will. its time they got to feel what its like, haha.

yes!!!! stop falling and land!!!! smile

willofthewisp
I don't think most people would be that surprised if Tia turned out to be Calypso. They would at least think it made sense. Hmm, Tia offering Liz immortality? I kind of like the idea. I don't think she would take it, though, unless it were to save someone else. She's a thrill seeker and for those people, it's the idea of coming so close to death that makes something fun for them. I think she's very happy being a human, although she wants to be a human with a little more freedom, and a certain pirate.

jdl1224
Yeah I was actually thinking that when I posted "reasons why Tia=Bad News!" I mentioned I thought she was Davy's lover and I got reactions from people saying that they didn't think that- but when she goes againt Liz- now everyone believes its her. lol. I find it quite ammusing. smile

And why thank you willofthewisp- I didn't think my writing was anything special. smile

LovelyOne
Who the HECK is Liz's mother?? SERIOUSLY we never hear about her..

jdl1224
hahaha. that was random!
who knows, maybe she died?

Maybe that'll come up in the 3rd one too. It'll be a big parental reunion! smile

katelovespirate
i think Liz's mother is dead, or ran off to be a pirate. Or killed herself because she was so sick of the social restraints. haha.
disney loves the "died during childbirth" excuse for mothers. very few disney ladies have a mother. if they did, they wouldnt be allowed to wear their lovely but scandalous clothing which disney considers essential. big grin

willofthewisp
Liz's mom is dead, imo, and I think she died when Liz was really young. I think a lot of stories are about characters with no parents or a dead parent because it makes them independent sooner. Liz may not have turned out so stubborn if her mom had been alive along with Gov. Swann. Plus, he's the only tie she has left, so if he does die, as someone mentioned, there is really no reason for her to go back to Port Royale.

D_Shiznitdog
I think Tia Dalma is Calypso too. In all of the interviews with Naomie Harris, she says how Pirates 2 was only an introduction to her character. "She's not quite who she seems." She also has a lot more power than people think, she says.

LovelyOne
Originally posted by willofthewisp
She'll get impaled on the Flying Dutchman..... I don't know.
Remember, Liz is the second choice for Calypso because Liz is the only other woman besides Tia! Anamaria is gone with her own ship and I doubt she's coming back. Plus, if there are subtle hints that she should be with Jack, then there are even more hints that she is all too human and not a goddess.
1. We see her as a child, fascinated by pirates. I think a goddess wouldn't impress as easily.
2. She has a dad, and it was more common back then to lose parents, so I really think she had a mom and losing that mom probably helped give her that independence we all love about her.
3. Corsets stifle her breathing. If she's a goddess, or even a reincarnation of a goddess, wouldn't she be, I don't know, magnificent or something all dolled up instead of huffing and puffing?

she might be the sea goddess reincarnated in human form..its what happened with the Buddha ..he came to life again through a human child..or something like that...

we NEVER get to see who Liz's mother is do we? Could she have been Calypso..and Liz is in fact an orphan? It would explain why Liz is so obsessed with the sea and the free life...she's not interested in the life she has at all...remember Calypso is a SEA goddess...

erk maybe Tia is Calypso in disguise and she is in fact Liz's real mother...

I too think that Tia is Calypso..and she is behind ALOT of what goes on in the movie..

Rhagetti mentions the words "divine intervention" in the movie..and that is exactly what a goddess is..a divinity..and in ancient Greek mythology when a god or goddess intervenes in the mere lives of mortals its known as "DIVINE INTERVENTION" they are able to oversee EVERYTHING and intervene in peoples lives to make things go the way they want...and Calypso IS a Greek goddess..I'm very suspicious of Tia..

willofthewisp
LovelyOne, do you think Liz is Calypso, or were you playing devil's advocate.
I really hope they don't do that to her character. Why can't a girl in a movie just be a regular girl who can do extraordinary things? In Star Wars, she's not some regular freedom fighter, she's a princess. In Harry Potter she's a witch, and in the Mummy, she's a reincarnated princess. I think it speaks more to Liz's character to be just a regular girl, brought up in a life of privilege, who just wanted something more in her life.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.