What sleeper hit/cult classic games do you own?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

General Kaliero
Games that are exceptionally good, but for some reason don't do well in the market. Games that receive bad professional reviews, but are viewed as masterpieces by the playing public. There are dozens of games like these, but how many do you have?

Beyond Good and Evil was a well-executed, truly interesting game whose only fault was the sadly short playtime. I have NO idea why this didn't sell, because virtually every magazine and review site recommended it.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem falls into both categories, really, but it still seems like it's in the top ten of GameCube titles after all this time. Dark, Lovecraftian, and literally insane at times, the only problem I have with this game is that to truly beat it, you have to play through the story three times under slightly different conditions. Other than that, an intriguing story and interesting play mechanics make this game a must have for any 17+ GameCube owner.

Killer7, one of the now infamous Capcom Five, boasts a wierd yet compelling story, an intriguing cast of characters, stylish presentation, and a nonconformist control scheme. Reviews blammed this game on the unconventional control scheme and large amount of adult content and gore, but the player base has managed to rebuild its reputation somewhat, and it's worth a look if you're into stylish insanity.

Cerberus
Freedom Fighters - PS2

JToTheP
Eternal Darkness, Killer 7, Max Payne 2, Chaos Legion (this game needs a sequal ASAP!) Outlaw Sport Series, and Haunting Ground.

I think that's it, everything else is mainstream, or sold well at one time.

I want Beyond Good and Evil, but Ubisoft games bother me, POP trilogy isn't as fun as I expected, I still can't bring myself to finish 3.

Smasandian
Enternal Darkness.

Other than that, I'm an corporate whore.

AstroFan
Did Chronicles of Riddick sell well?

Lana
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete is a game I totally love (though sadly I never finished it, due to my PSX memory card resetting itself). It's gotten excellent reviews, though I know very few people who've ever heard it, and no one else who's played it. I've never ever seen it anywhere in a store beyond the time I found a copy and bought it (spent $35 on a used PS game...eesh...so worth it though), and as far as I can tell, it's a pretty rare game.

JToTheP
Ah, I did indeed forget some:

Manhunt-It did sell in the US, never to the point of Greatest Hits, and the only advertising for it was negative advertising.

Tales Of Phantasia, Destiny, Destiny II (Eternia), Tales Of Legendia-The four in America that didn't sell, Symphonia did, 300K in the US. I don't understand why people don't play this series, probably too brainwashed by Square Enix's Final Fantasy's never ending slew of shit. This is me, I could never win against the Final Fantasy fanboys/girls if I spent 20 years on it, they are too thick-headed to see the truth alongside opinion.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by JToTheP
Tales Of Phantasia, Destiny, Destiny II (Eternia), Tales Of Legendia-The four in America that didn't sell, Symphonia did, 300K in the US. I don't understand why people don't play this series, probably too brainwashed by Square Enix's Final Fantasy's never ending slew of shit.

I have ToP and ToL, and yeah, I guess they are sleepers. ToP is one of the best RPGs to appear for the Super Famicom, and it's really a shame that they never thought to officially bring it to America until this past year.

A large part of the Tales series is still Japan-only, and Namco's many Tales crews have stated why: research shows that Americans don't like 2D games in an era when 3D uber-graphics drive which games are hot.

On one hand, I think it's stupid for them to do that, especially after ToS blew out; they could have been successful with bringing the other Tales over just on brand name.

But then I think they're also partially right, looking at what games sell in America now and why.

Regardless of those things, Tales of the Abyss for the PS2 is thankfully being brought over, and they're considering bringing over Tales of the Tempest as well.

Both will likely be sleeper hits.

who?-kid
Ico

Shadow of the Colossus

Kayne Archeron
Ico, Advent Rising.... i want to put Conker and Fable on here, but those actually did sell kinda well

i loved Lunar's stories, i just never got into the gameplay x-x

JToTheP
Originally posted by Kayne Archeron
Ico, Advent Rising.... i want to put Conker and Fable on here, but those actually did sell kinda well

i loved Lunar's stories, i just never got into the gameplay x-x

Conker didn't sell much a ton N64 considering so many people were into Paper Mario and such by then.

JToTheP
Originally posted by General Kaliero
I have ToP and ToL, and yeah, I guess they are sleepers. ToP is one of the best RPGs to appear for the Super Famicom, and it's really a shame that they never thought to officially bring it to America until this past year.

A large part of the Tales series is still Japan-only, and Namco's many Tales crews have stated why: research shows that Americans don't like 2D games in an era when 3D uber-graphics drive which games are hot.

On one hand, I think it's stupid for them to do that, especially after ToS blew out; they could have been successful with bringing the other Tales over just on brand name.

But then I think they're also partially right, looking at what games sell in America now and why.

Regardless of those things, Tales of the Abyss for the PS2 is thankfully being brought over, and they're considering bringing over Tales of the Tempest as well.

Both will likely be sleeper hits.

Yeah I know, I'm a member of Namco's Tales forum, so I get an earful about the Japanese-exclusive titles daily. The big discussions now being Tales Of Eternia's port to the US, if it will happen, and of course TotA.

Tempest is another side issue, and Tales Of Destiny's remake on Ps2.

I hope some of us finally notice TotA, ToL is definately underrated, yes the main game wasn't that good, but the Character Quests were great.

As far as I'm concerned, ToP should sell enough to go Player's Choice on GBA at least, because we need more classics on GBA/DS.

Gregory
Haunting Ground.

That's a good game; I don't know why it didn't do better.

JToTheP
It is a great game.

I also got Disgaea off ebay, whenever I GET IT! mad I'll say that's a sleeper hit, nowhere near a huge game.

Draco69
Psychonauts! Why does everyone keep forgeting this great game!

MadMel
LOOM....this game was (and still is) incredible..best voice acting in history...nothing else comes close...the only sequals now are fan made, because lucasarts dropped nearly every game franchise they had that didnt have 'starwars' written on it, becasue they didnt sell very well...

Sai1

Tales Of Phantasia, Destiny, Destiny II (Eternia), Tales Of Legendia-The four in America that didn't sell, Symphonia did, 300K in the US. I don't understand why people don't play this series, probably too brainwashed by Square Enix's Final Fantasy's never ending slew of shit. This is me, I could never win against the Final Fantasy fanboys/girls if I spent 20 years on it, they are too thick-headed to see the truth alongside opinion.

Darn those FF fanboys. mad

leonheartmm
i dunno. most games i love are famous and score well but many of em dont do well financially.

leonheartmm
shadow of destiny would be one of my favourites.

leonheartmm
many games were cult before when i liked em but now have been accepted in the mainstream. silent hill, xenogears, earlier final fantasies, megaten games, dot hack games, nuclear dawn, koudelka, crono trigger, earlier legacy of kain titles, zone of the enders games etc are some of them.

who?-kid
Originally posted by Sai1
Darn those FF fanboys. mad
Somebody doesn't like FF.

Duriel-076
How about Breakdown?

Phat J
Originally posted by who?-kid
Ico

Shadow of the Colossus
those were classic games, ico was my favourite though.
Originally posted by Lana
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete is a game I totally love (though sadly I never finished it, due to my PSX memory card resetting itself). It's gotten excellent reviews, though I know very few people who've ever heard it, and no one else who's played it. I've never ever seen it anywhere in a store beyond the time I found a copy and bought it (spent $35 on a used PS game...eesh...so worth it though), and as far as I can tell, it's a pretty rare game.

i love those games, probably my favourite rpgs. i beat one of them, i think it was 2; the second disc from the first game from blockbuster was all scratched to shit so i could beat the other. that pissed me off to no end, but yeah those were great games.

IceJaw
Would Flatout count? confused

Ico was the best, it wasnt really a game, it was art

MadMel
ill say it again, since i was ignored the first time laughing out loud...loom.....best voice acting in history (i seriously mean that, nothing comes close..), and lucasarts became too caught up in their starwars games to finish the series..mad

Sai1
Originally posted by who?-kid
Somebody doesn't like FF.

Not at all. Really there's only 3 of them that I'm not too crazy about. It's the FF fanboys who unconditionally praise anything with the FF name as the greatest RPG (and who usually haven't played any of the FF that come before VII) that irk me.

JToTheP
Not at all. Really there's only 3 of them that I'm not too crazy about. It's the FF fanboys who unconditionally praise anything with the FF name as the greatest RPG (and who usually haven't played any of the FF that come before VII) that irk me.

Thank you, and they pick the worst ones as the greatest, 7 and 10.

Majority of them also hate 9 because it is the 10th anniversary game. It's ironic the numbers of who has played 1-6, I admit I haven't either. Though 9 makes me realize Square COULD BE capable of a good RPG, minus the CULT.BRAINWASH.FOLLOWING. of 7. roll eyes (sarcastic)

JToTheP

I saw this at toys R us long ago, and Star Ocean 2. Back when Toys R Us had the "PS1 wall" Had to be close to 60-70 games. I really wish I bought them now, and Valkirye (sp?) profile just to ebay later on if I didn't like them. sad

Sai1
Though 9 makes me realize Square COULD BE capable of a good RPG, minus the CULT.BRAINWASH.FOLLOWING. of 7. roll eyes (sarcastic)
thumb up

Lana
Thank you, and they pick the worst ones as the greatest, 7 and 10.

Majority of them also hate 9 because it is the 10th anniversary game. It's ironic the numbers of who has played 1-6, I admit I haven't either. Though 9 makes me realize Square COULD BE capable of a good RPG, minus the CULT.BRAINWASH.FOLLOWING. of 7. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Personally, I've never even played 7, though 10 is my favorite by far. From what I've seen, though, people who like 10 tend to not like 7 as much as most of the rest of the fanbase.

I didn't like 9 for the simple fact that I was bored to tears waiting for battles to end. Random encounters should not take longer than 30 seconds, tops, and the battles went so long they'd easily take 5 minutes if you ever tried to do anything other than straight attacks.

I saw this at toys R us long ago, and Star Ocean 2. Back when Toys R Us had the "PS1 wall" Had to be close to 60-70 games. I really wish I bought them now, and Valkirye (sp?) profile just to ebay later on if I didn't like them. sad

Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile are another 2 games I wish I would have gotten.

PS1 games are starting to get hard to find, period, let alone the ones that were hard to get to begin with.

mysterio69
beyond good and evil, shadow of the colossus, and boy and his blob for nes.

maddani
boy and his blob rocked! i own a copy of golgo 13 i wish i has an nes to play it on.

Skeets
Chrono trigger for the snes.
Guilty Gear XX for the ps2 and X-box.
Tales of Symphonia for the Game cube.
Perfect Dark for the N64.
Killer instinct for the Snes.

JToTheP
Personally, I've never even played 7, though 10 is my favorite by far. From what I've seen, though, people who like 10 tend to not like 7 as much as most of the rest of the fanbase.

I didn't like 9 for the simple fact that I was bored to tears waiting for battles to end. Random encounters should not take longer than 30 seconds, tops, and the battles went so long they'd easily take 5 minutes if you ever tried to do anything other than straight attacks.

Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile are another 2 games I wish I would have gotten.

PS1 games are starting to get hard to find, period, let alone the ones that were hard to get to begin with.

Have you played 1-6 though? (Not counting 3 yet)

Yeah, I really do wish I just grabbed SO and VP just to own them if I knew this kind of rareness would occur.

General Kaliero
I hear VERY mixed things about Star Ocean. And Valkyrie Profile... know I've heard OF it, but not about it. I'm guessing from the rarity and opinion shown here that it's rather good?

Gregory
I though Star Ocean: Second Story kicked ass, although it was sort of weird how it morphed from fantasy to scifi halfwat through. Pick it up if you see it.

Sai1

I remember the battles for FF9 being pretty standard. But 30 seconds? Unless you're fighting enemies much lower in level I would think a battle should take more than 30 seconds. I think battles are better when you actually have to think about each step and play things more strategicly.
Also when you do things other than straight attacks, wouldn't that be something more powerful than a straight attack since a straight attack is as basic as it gets. Thus the battle should go faster shouldn't it?

MadMel
i didnt mind 9's battles...true, they were long, buts so's ruby weapon in 7...

Lana
Have you played 1-6 though? (Not counting 3 yet)

Yeah, I really do wish I just grabbed SO and VP just to own them if I knew this kind of rareness would occur.

I've got all of them on my computer (including 3, it's fan-translated), played them, but never beat them or anything. I dislike playing roms and trying to use my keyboard.

I remember the battles for FF9 being pretty standard. But 30 seconds? Unless you're fighting enemies much lower in level I would think a battle should take more than 30 seconds. I think battles are better when you actually have to think about each step and play things more strategicly.
Also when you do things other than straight attacks, wouldn't that be something more powerful than a straight attack since a straight attack is as basic as it gets. Thus the battle should go faster shouldn't it?

Regular random encounters that you come across are not supposed to take a long time. I don't mean the battles in FF9 were hard - they weren't any more so than in other FFs. I mean the system was just ridiculously slow. It took forever for the characters to actually attack, for the ATB bars to fill, etc.

And when I said anything other than a straight attack, I meant anything - summoning, casting spells, using items, etc.

JToTheP
Originally posted by Skeets
Chrono trigger for the snes.
Guilty Gear XX for the ps2 and X-box.
Tales of Symphonia for the Game cube.
Perfect Dark for the N64.
Killer instinct for the Snes.

Most of those games wouldn't be categorized as a Sleeper hit considering many people know of them, so they would mainly be defined as hits. I know Killer Instinct had a bit of a buzz back in the day of SNES, sothat is a sleeper/cult. Guilty Gear has gotten pretty popular right?

JToTheP
I've got all of them on my computer (including 3, it's fan-translated), played them, but never beat them or anything. I dislike playing roms and trying to use my keyboard.

And when I said anything other than a straight attack, I meant anything - summoning, casting spells, using items, etc.

Lucky, I can easily play 1-6 on GBA, 5,6 in December, I really want to play 3 considering how notorious it's become. Ever since the 3 translating into 6 in the US, (That's what it is right? Japan's 3 is on DS, yes?) I've been confused by it.

General Kaliero
Japanese FFIII is coming to the DS, yes. I REALLY want it, partially because it'll be old-school FF mixed with 3D graphics, and partially because it's such an infamous game for being to only FF with no official English version.

I agree with Lana about keyboards, too. I have a basic gaming setup (wasd movement, numpad actions) and compared to a controller, keys are clumsy. Virtually impossible to play Super Metroid well on a keyboard.

So yeah, I love the SNES FFs coming to GBA/DS. Still only finished 1, though. XP

Sai1
Keyboards are no problem for RPGs though.

Phat J
Originally posted by General Kaliero
I hear VERY mixed things about Star Ocean. And Valkyrie Profile... know I've heard OF it, but not about it. I'm guessing from the rarity and opinion shown here that it's rather good?
star ocean is a great game, best rpg ive ever played by far. valkyrie profile is sort of like a platformer rpg mix, but its good. stories having to do with myth's are always good.

Tallis
Yeah I know, I'm a member of Namco's Tales forum, so I get an earful about the Japanese-exclusive titles daily. The big discussions now being Tales Of Eternia's port to the US, if it will happen, and of course TotA.

Tempest is another side issue, and Tales Of Destiny's remake on Ps2.

I hope some of us finally notice TotA, ToL is definately underrated, yes the main game wasn't that good, but the Character Quests were great.

As far as I'm concerned, ToP should sell enough to go Player's Choice on GBA at least, because we need more classics on GBA/DS.

What is your username in that forum

JToTheP
Originally posted by Tallis
What is your username in that forum

JToTheP, I only have like 50 posts.

Tallis
I use to be called Soulja in that forum. I'm one of the infamous people that got banned

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.