Super Paper Mario

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JToTheP
As of now, NOT the 3rd game in the Paper Mario Saga.

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/rpg/superpapermario/index.html?q=Super%20Paper%20Mario

Anymore info feel free to post. ign has one video.

IceJaw
I'll buy it no expression

Kayne Archeron
hey, i dug castlevania's Platforming RPGness, this shouldn't be too bad either

AstroFan
Is this closer to the original Mario games or the Paper Mario games?

Aside from the obvious graphics. lol

General Kaliero
The flipping of the world is one of the better ideas I've seen for platformers recently, and I can tell this game will be fun.

To answer, Ast, there are the tried-and-true jump and buttstomp mechanics, but also items that are triggered by button combos a la Paper Mario: TTYD/Mario & Luigi.

((The_Anomaly))
This game is going to be amazing. Check out the GDC demo on Gametrailers. Amazing. I'm gonna go reserve this game at EB tomorrow. I'm hyped for this game hardcore.

Smasandian
I need an Wii first.

That might help.

Skeets
Getting this.I loved the other Paper Mario games.

((The_Anomaly))
This is different from the past two Paper Mario games, which is why I'm so psyched about it. I don't really like turn based RPG's, so this game looks SO much better then the turn based Paper Mario's that game before it. This is like Classic Mario Bros, with RPG elements and a 3D twist which is the most creative thing I've seen in a "side scroller" in a LONG time. It was so cool, and so unexpected when I saw it my jaw dropped, its amazing and the concept of it is brilliant.

Check these Vids out.

GDC Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlFtjwSGy3w
GDC Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdC8s-m4Llc&mode=related&search=

Pure awesome. I traded in my old Xbox to reserve and pay for this game today lol.

Skeets
Wow! just checked a bunch of games play videos.
The games looking great.I'm gonna reserve my copy tomorrow,for sure.

InnerRise
I never got into the whole Paper Mario thing.

I've been reading up on it and it has gathered quite a following and a lot of hype.

Why?

Inquisitive minds would like to know.

Maybe I'll give this one a try.....maybe not? erm

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

JToTheP
I can't wait for Paper Mario 64 to be on VC, I never gave it a chance. I pre-ordered this and can't wait for it! Playing these games makes me miss Mario RPG even more though!

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by InnerRise
I never got into the whole Paper Mario thing.

I've been reading up on it and it has gathered quite a following and a lot of hype.

Why?

Inquisitive minds would like to know.

Maybe I'll give this one a try.....maybe not? erm

Have you seen Gameplay videos? If you have then you'd know.

This game is gonna be amazing. It really speaks for itself.

MadMel
laughing out loud the flip thing is awesome!!

InnerRise
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
Have you seen Gameplay videos? If you have then you'd know.

This game is gonna be amazing. It really speaks for itself. Yeah, later last night after my post in here I went and watched some videos.

I guess it does look kind of good.

Don't know if it's enough to draw me in though being that I never got into the previous ones.

I didn't have any idea that previous ones and this one had RPG Elements in them.

I thought they were your basic mario side scrollers just in Paper Form.

Hmmm......I am a huge RPG fan.....so ya never know.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

General Kaliero
InnerRise, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door was one of the best GC games made.

The Mario RPG/Paper Mario series is known particularly for genuinely funny writing and stories. Few series can actually make me burst out laughing while playing; this is one of them.

InnerRise
Yeah, I was aware of "The Thousand-Year Door" when it came out, but I wasn't aware of the following that it obtained and how good it supposedly was until now.

Hmmm....I think I'll go and try to find it soon and play it to see what I think and then decide if I'll get this new one.

InnerRise
Well I just got back and I purchased "Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door."

I'm actually excited which is a surprise for me.

I'll be playing it tomorrow when I get home.

This game is also welcomed because after just finished God of War 2, I really have no enthusiasm for any of my other games ahora mismo which annoys me.

I have Oblivion at home to finish playing, Baten Kaitos, Rayman Rabbid Rabbits, not to mention Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess and I haven't picked any of those games up in months, except for Oblivion, but still yeah. I don't feel like playing any of them, so Paper Mario will be yet another excuse to ignore all of those games mercilessly and swipe them aside.....for now. I really need to get back into them though. Especially Zelda.

Once I don't play a game for a while, it's just so hard to get back into it.

((The_Anomaly))
This games release grows near, and I grow impatient. I want it now dammit!

AstroFan
I cant wait, this looks great, all the previews Ive read cant stop raving about how good it is. Wii may have a suprise hit while everyone waits for Galaxy and Brawl.

JToTheP
I think you can call 07' officially Mario's return to dominating gaming:

Super Mario Bros. 1 on Xmas day for NES on Virtual Console
Mario Kart 64 on Virtual Console
Super Paper Mario
Mario RPG confirmed coming to Virtual Console
Brawl
and Galaxy.

Seems like a great year for Nintendo to me. big grin

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by AstroFan
I cant wait, this looks great, all the previews Ive read cant stop raving about how good it is. Wii may have a suprise hit while everyone waits for Galaxy and Brawl.

And Metroid.

Originally posted by JToTheP
I think you can call 07' officially Mario's return to dominating gaming:

Super Mario Bros. 1 on Xmas day for NES on Virtual Console
Mario Kart 64 on Virtual Console
Super Paper Mario
Mario RPG confirmed coming to Virtual Console
Brawl
and Galaxy.

Seems like a great year for Nintendo to me. big grin

Sho nuff! smokin'

MadMel
shouldn't brawl be about kirby??
i mean, its made by the same people, and a lot of the moves were taken from kirby superstar erm

JToTheP
How could a game about Nintendo characters/mascots fighting be about Kirby's platform adventures?

MadMel
i meant kirby as a character
damn, i said kRiby again erm

Darth Jello
master hand and crazy hand were bosses in a couple of kirby games apparantly...

I think that Mario RPG should be expanded, updated, and ported to th DS or GBA. That game is my favorite mario game, a work of art and it deserves better than simple emulation.

JToTheP
No, I'd rather it just be on Virtual Console rather than on DS. I love my DS, but I love my Mario RPG on tv.

InnerRise
Well I played Super Paper Mario all weekend and I'm up to Chapter 5.

The game is pretty amazing.

Much more than what I thought it was way back in 2004 when it first came out.

I thought it was your basic Mario Gameplay, only in Paper Form.

I had no idea it was an RPG, which probably would have pulled me in, at least I'd like to think so.

So yeah. I can't wait to go home this weekend and possibly finish this weekend and be ready for Super Paper Mario.

The worse thing about this game in my opinion is that it's so hard to choose which stats to upgrade.

I keep upgrading badges because there are so many I want to use and I know that I won't be able to by the time the game is over, but I still want to use as many as I can.

I know that I should be upping my Health and Flower Points though.

My health is at 30 and my flower points is at 20.

My Badges is at 36.

It took me forever to upgrade my health to 30 though and as you can see. My Flower Points is getting no love.

I feel guilty after an upgrade. weep

But yeah. And there's so much to the seperate stories that you encounter and get involved in. The dialouge is fantastic as well. I have found myself chuckling here and there.

And the way that they "Break the third barrier", as Goombella put it, periodically is pretty neat as well.

I also love how at the end of the chapters you get to see where Peach and Bowser are at in their storylines as well and how you can play them in some parts as well. That was definitely a surprise, as well as some others, such as the whole Shadow Mario Thing.

I had no idea what was going on. Mario, assumingly Mario, defeated the ghost and then left. So I'm waiting for the screen to transition and nothing happens and it's just staying there and I thought my game had froze, being that I had being playing since 11AM till bed time, and I press a few buttons and then what I thought was the enemy popped up and I thought that for some reason I was controlling the bad guy. SO when I left and passed by the Star Box with rejuvenates all your stats, I decided not to hit it b/c I didn't want to help who I thought was the enemy that I was controlling. Ha.

But yeah. Very nice. I love how the Boss Battles aren't that complicated and it allows you to flow easily through the game. And I love how SOME of the partners in which you obtain are characters that you would have never expected to join you.

The game doesn't even feel like a 2004 game. It still looks good.

SO yeah.....

Good Stuff.

JToTheP
You mean Paper Mario:The Thousand Year Door, the sequal to Paper Mario 64.

I thought you had a bootleg of Super Paper Mario or something.

((The_Anomaly))
Well I played Super Paper Mario all weekend and I'm up to Chapter 5.

The game is pretty amazing.

Much more than what I thought it was way back in 2004 when it first came out.

I thought it was your basic Mario Gameplay, only in Paper Form.

I had no idea it was an RPG, which probably would have pulled me in, at least I'd like to think so.

So yeah. I can't wait to go home this weekend and possibly finish this weekend and be ready for Super Paper Mario.

The worse thing about this game in my opinion is that it's so hard to choose which stats to upgrade.

I keep upgrading badges because there are so many I want to use and I know that I won't be able to by the time the game is over, but I still want to use as many as I can.

I know that I should be upping my Health and Flower Points though.

My health is at 30 and my flower points is at 20.

My Badges is at 36.

It took me forever to upgrade my health to 30 though and as you can see. My Flower Points is getting no love.

I feel guilty after an upgrade. weep

But yeah. And there's so much to the seperate stories that you encounter and get involved in. The dialouge is fantastic as well. I have found myself chuckling here and there.

And the way that they "Break the third barrier", as Goombella put it, periodically is pretty neat as well.

I also love how at the end of the chapters you get to see where Peach and Bowser are at in their storylines as well and how you can play them in some parts as well. That was definitely a surprise, as well as some others, such as the whole Shadow Mario Thing.

I had no idea what was going on. Mario, assumingly Mario, defeated the ghost and then left. So I'm waiting for the screen to transition and nothing happens and it's just staying there and I thought my game had froze, being that I had being playing since 11AM till bed time, and I press a few buttons and then what I thought was the enemy popped up and I thought that for some reason I was controlling the bad guy. SO when I left and passed by the Star Box with rejuvenates all your stats, I decided not to hit it b/c I didn't want to help who I thought was the enemy that I was controlling. Ha.

But yeah. Very nice. I love how the Boss Battles aren't that complicated and it allows you to flow easily through the game. And I love how SOME of the partners in which you obtain are characters that you would have never expected to join you.

The game doesn't even feel like a 2004 game. It still looks good.

SO yeah.....

Good Stuff.

Funny I was the complete opposite lol. I was turned away by the RPGness of the previous Paper Mario's. But the "basic Mario Gameplay, only in Paper Form" as you so eloquently put it was the reason for my now near hysteria for Super Paper Mario. I literally cant wait for this game. Less then a week now! eek!

InnerRise
It would seem we are quite opposites. The fact that this new Mario goes away from the in your face RPG mode and goes back to Platforming with RPG elements sprinkled in ever so lightly is kind of causing me to doubt how much I'll like it compared to Thousand Year Door.

I like Thousand Year Door so much because it's an RPG with Platforming sprinkled in.

I fear what made Thousand Year Door so dear to me may be lost.

((The_Anomaly))
It would seem we are quite opposites. The fact that this new Mario goes away from the in your face RPG mode and goes back to Platforming with RPG elements sprinkled in ever so lightly is kind of causing me to doubt how much I'll like it compared to Thousand Year Door.

I like Thousand Year Door so much because it's an RPG with Platforming sprinkled in.

I fear what made Thousand Year Door so dear to me may be lost.

Huh, to each his own. I don't mind RPG's but I REALLY dislike turn based battles, thats kinda my thing about it. I liked the newest Final Fantasy because it half got away from elongated turn based battles, the same thing with KOTOR. I just cant stand turn based stuff. I also don't much like extreme micro management stuff like a lot of RPG's are filled with. But a lot of people live for that stuff, power too them, its just not my cup-o-tea. Thats why I'm so psyched for Super Paper Mario, its got platforming (which is one of my fav types of games) in spades, but its also got a lot more depth added to it with the RPG elements. And I'm a stickler for good depth, just not uber RPG micromanagement depth. In all honesty though if I love this game (which I'm sure I will) I'll prolly grab Thousand Year Door just to play it.

InnerRise
Wow. I didn't know you actually hadn't played it yet.

So did you rent it the first time and figured you didn't like it?

I'm wondering how much of an RPG it can be with the attention being on platforming.

How do you know you like Thousand yr door if you didn't really play it?

I'm confused.

You say you didnt like the rpg part as if you played, then you say you'll probably pick it up and play. erm

pinkfloydkor
i LOVE mario RPG, it might be my favorite game of all time, and i am getting it the DAY it goes on VC, but i think i would like to see a RPG ported and then expanded onto the ds, i think that would be interesting

((The_Anomaly))
Wow. I didn't know you actually hadn't played it yet.

So did you rent it the first time and figured you didn't like it?

I'm wondering how much of an RPG it can be with the attention being on platforming.

How do you know you like Thousand yr door if you didn't really play it?

I'm confused.

You say you didnt like the rpg part as if you played, then you say you'll probably pick it up and play. erm

I actually rented it, it and the N64 Paper Mario. I REALLY tried to like Thousand Year Door, but I just cant get around the slow paced turn based battles...erm. I've never liked 'classic' turn based gameplay and probably never will. However, in recent years I've come to be more tolerant of it, so I'm hoping if I pick up Thousand year Door then maybe I'll like it. Whatever, I'm looking forward to this Paper Mario massively, Like foaming at the mouth with anticipation. stick out tongue

BTW, this game got a 8.9 from IGN. A little less then I'd expect but Matt has been real harsh with stuff as of late. I mostly disagree with the 'lackluster graphics' with the 3D flip though, I don't get it at all and its what lowered the score. I dunno, sometimes IGN is nit-picky and I don't agree with it. But, I have yet to play the game to I'll let you know on monday or tuesday what I think.

MadMel
the only chance that ill get this any time soon is ebay
unless some idiot goes "oh yay, a mario for 360" then 5 hourse later "WHAT NOT 360!!! WAAAHH!!!" and somehow throws it all the way from america to my house laughing out loud

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by MadMel
the only chance that ill get this any time soon is ebay
unless some idiot goes "oh yay, a mario for 360" then 5 hourse later "WHAT NOT 360!!! WAAAHH!!!" and somehow throws it all the way from america to my house laughing out loud

LOL! laughing If only eh.

Send me 200 bucks and I'll get you a copy wink evil face

I'll be getting it on Monday (hopefully) but at least Tuesday for sure. I have it reserved but my EB rarely gets games on the release day because they are actually just the ship day. Stupid ship day mad

InnerRise
I never pre order.

I'm not sure if Super Paper Mario is a continuation of Thousand Year Door or not, but I seriously suggest you play Thousand Year Door. The game has been amazing so far.

Being that I like RPG's and you don't really like them, it's easier for me to say this to you, but yeah, you should really give it another try.

I can't wait to get home tomorrow and finish it. I'll then get Super Paper Mario Next Week and play it Next Weekend when I get home again. It sucks being up here at college away from my games. sadwalk

I read a review and that stated and showed that the graphics were actually pretty good and the 3D Flip Flop element was amazing as well.

What I don't like about the flip flop thing is that you loose health points as you're in that mode of the game so it's not something you take lightly and just play around in to your heart's content.

The good thing is that you regain your health points back once you flip flop back out of flip flop mode.

(I love my wonderful terminology here)

((The_Anomaly))
I never pre order.

I'm not sure if Super Paper Mario is a continuation of Thousand Year Door or not, but I seriously suggest you play Thousand Year Door. The game has been amazing so far.

Being that I like RPG's and you don't really like them, it's easier for me to say this to you, but yeah, you should really give it another try.

I can't wait to get home tomorrow and finish it. I'll then get Super Paper Mario Next Week and play it Next Weekend when I get home again. It sucks being up here at college away from my games. sadwalk

I read a review and that stated and showed that the graphics were actually pretty good and the 3D Flip Flop element was amazing as well.

What I don't like about the flip flop thing is that you loose health points as you're in that mode of the game so it's not something you take lightly and just play around in to your heart's content.

The good thing is that you regain your health points back once you flip flop back out of flip flop mode.

(I love my wonderful terminology here)

Actually that was worded wrongly I think. You don't lose hit points, you have a meter, and if the meter runs out THEN you start to lose hit points, its the same kinda thing as most oxygen meters, once the meter gets to zero, then you start to lose life. However, the meter recharges when you get back into 2D space. I think IGN said the hit points thing and it was just badly worded.

InnerRise
Ok. That sounds a little better.

Although before I read any reviews I was under the impression that you stayed in 3D mode as long as you wanted, which I liked the idea of.

((The_Anomaly))
Ok. That sounds a little better.

Although before I read any reviews I was under the impression that you stayed in 3D mode as long as you wanted, which I liked the idea of.

Yea I'm not sure the exact purpose behind it, i guess its cause if you stayed in 3D space you'd miss half the stuff all the time, like enemies etc. that only show up in 2D. So they needed to make a way to force people back to 2D. I don't really mind, I'm mostly looking forward to the 2D anyways. Though the 3D flip just about made me sh!t my pants when I first saw it.

General Kaliero
Well since the game's puzzles are based on switching intelligently between 2D and 3D, it kinda ruins the fun to stay in 3D the entire time.

InnerRise
Staying in 3D the entire wasn't my intentions, nor the point of what I was saying. ermm

pinkfloydkor

i doubt it is, Paper Mario 64 wasnt a sequal to mario RPG and TYD wasnt a sequal to PM64

JToTheP
Paper Mario 64 would of been Mario RPG 2, but due to Squaresoft's involvement it couldn't be.

((The_Anomaly))
2 more days! w00t!

InnerRise
My Nintendo Wii isn't working and I haven't been able to finish Thousand Year Door yet. weep

MadMel
2 more days! w00t!
heh..that means 2 months for us
you people get everything first *sulks*

General Kaliero
No, Japan gets everything first. And tons of stuff we don't.

MadMel
yea point...
but you still get it earlier than us sad

LÉONpro2007
Originally posted by General Kaliero
No, Japan gets everything first. And tons of stuff we don't.

Wii got the console first. wink

See what I did there? roll eyes (sarcastic)

((The_Anomaly))
Actually the US and Canada are getting this game before Japan too. We get it the 9th of this month and they get it the 19th of this month.

Currently this game has a review rating of 90% on Gamerankings. Not too shabby wink

pinkfloydkor

((The_Anomaly))
My Nintendo Wii isn't working and I haven't been able to finish Thousand Year Door yet. weep

Whats wrong with your Wii? confused

MadMel
is it the 8th over there??
heh, we got a one day head start shifty

((The_Anomaly))
is it the 8th over there??
heh, we got a one day head start shifty

LOL, Indeed you do. Its the 9th as of 5 mins ago where I live. HOPEFULLY my EB gets this game in today whip

It might be the ship date though, which means I might not get it till Tuesday. erm

Oh well, if not then I'll just continue my Star Fox 64-a-thon for one more day lol.

MadMel
laughing out loud

InnerRise
Whats wrong with your Wii? confused Originally posted by InnerRise
So we lost power last night twice.

I just went to play my Nintendo Wii and I see the red light isn't on. I go to press the power button to turn it on and it won't turn on either.

Is this normal? Is my Nintendo Wii messed up now?

anata wa wakarimasu ka..... Originally posted by InnerRise
Well I tried unplugging it and replugging it (The Adapter that is) but it didnt work, so I decided to research up on this problem online.

It didn't really help. In the middle of the researching, I decided to unplug it again but leave it unplugged this time while I continued to look for help.

I decided that I may have to get into contact with Nintendo and may have to get a new one. weep

So I go to NIntendo's website and they actually have a troubleshooting area and I followed that for a while to see if that would work.

So I get to this thing that instructs you, if it's necessary to, to reset your AC Adapter, which I didn't know anything about.

It instructs you to unplug everything from your Wii for 45 seconds.

Well by then, I had had my Adapter unplugged for a very long time, so I decided to plug that back in now to see if it would work before I'd have to unplug EVERYTHING...............and it just TURNED BACK ON.

As enthusiastic as I am (And pissed that my whole day was basically waisted) I'm still very concerned by this.

I'm sure it had something to do with the Electiricity going out last night 2 times and once more today for a few seconds, but still I don't think that's suppose to happen. My other appliances did not have this problem.

Plus while research online I found that there have been many Power Supply Problems with the Wii, with it not actually getting any power at all and people hooking up Car Batteries to supply powre and having to get New Wii's sent to them or new Adapter's sent to them.

SO yeah.

I'm worried that this may be an ongoing problem and may develop into something bigger. I may be paranoid though, but I'm very peculiar about my possessions.

Should I get into contact with Nintendo even though my system is working now or should I just leave it alone and see if it happens again, and even if it happens again and is solved in the same way, should I still talk with Nintendo about this?

Lana
LOL, Indeed you do. Its the 9th as of 5 mins ago where I live. HOPEFULLY my EB gets this game in today whip

It might be the ship date though, which means I might not get it till Tuesday. erm

Oh well, if not then I'll just continue my Star Fox 64-a-thon for one more day lol.

Chances are you won't get it until tomorrow because what most people think is the release date is actually the ship date and it's rare for a place to get the game on the ship date.

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by Lana
Chances are you won't get it until tomorrow because what most people think is the release date is actually the ship date and it's rare for a place to get the game on the ship date.

Yea I know, SOMETIMES though stores will actually get the game on its release day. Usually not though. I called my EB today and they said they prolly arnt getting it till tomorrow. sad Oh well.

InnerRise
Well I'll be going out TODAY and I plan on getting this game TODAY.

((The_Anomaly))
F*@k you!!!!! stick out tongue

InnerRise
Well Sadly, for some reason, I decided not to play Thousand Year Door all weekend until Sunday, so I didn't finish.

I just landed on the moon

I would have liked to go back up through the ranks in the Stadium up in the sky, but it's cheap that they loose your records and you have to start all the way from the bottom and that would have took a little while so I didn't do it being that I want to hurry and complete this game.

I have all of my partners upgraded twice.

And I also read that ghosts diary on the train...........which I shouldn't have done as he said. He said if you do it something bad will happen and I decided to do it anyway after the countless warnings and I was like jawdrop when I suffered the consequences. But luckily being that this all happened at a certain part in the game, it's not that horrible if you do something very frequently as one should do.

And so......yeah......I was also hesistant and shocked when all of my money was taken from me assumingly and then the character was like "I'm just joking" and gave it all back to me. I have like 580 coins so yeah......I was pissed when I thought I wasn't getting them back.

Hmmmm........

I was getting frustrated last night when I had to wake up that guy and he just wouldn't wake up. I just kept jumping on him out of frustration the last time after having tried and left and came back like twice until he finally woke up. I think that was a little too much b/c I can imagine many people assuming that he just won't wake up by just jumping on him and then going out of their way to do something else like leaving the entire area only to come back after hours of whatever to see that they just needed to keep jumping on him. Luckily I didn't do that.

So yeah....hopefully.....HOPEFULLY....I'll finish this game Friday when I get home and start on Super Paper Mario soon thereafter.

I have 1 more star to go so yeah.....I should finish.

((The_Anomaly))
So did anyone actually manage to get this game today (meaning the 9th)???

InnerRise
NOPE weep

So I'll go back out tomorrow to look again.

Although I still wont' be able to play until this weekend.......after I finish Thousand Year Door.

General Kaliero
I shall be out to get it tonight. I've watched clips of about 20 minutes of the beginning, and I already know I'm gonna love it.

Lana
So did anyone actually manage to get this game today (meaning the 9th)???

And what did I say about that?

I work in a damn video game store, I know what the chances are of getting a game on the ship date, and it's slim to none stick out tongue

JToTheP
Hey Lana, Super Paper Mario should be in today right? I got that pre-emptive auto-mated message, which I think is stupid because if it DOESN'T come on Tuesday, then you get some kids who freak out over nothing.

InnerRise
And what did I say about that?

I work in a damn video game store, I know what the chances are of getting a game on the ship date, and it's slim to none stick out tongue Well you do have an unfair advantage........stop rubbing it in why don't ya. weep

Lana
Hey Lana, Super Paper Mario should be in today right? I got that pre-emptive auto-mated message, which I think is stupid because if it DOESN'T come on Tuesday, then you get some kids who freak out over nothing.

Unless something massively screws up then yes, it will be in today. The automated message usually goes out on the shipdate.

Well you do have an unfair advantage........stop rubbing it in why don't ya. weep

Well, when I say something about ship date vs. release date and people ignore it...stick out tongue

General Kaliero
I know that games hardly ever hit shelves on ship date, and I don't work in a game store... ermm

I just assumed that was common sense. It takes time to unload and unpack those boxes.

Lana
I know that games hardly ever hit shelves on ship date, and I don't work in a game store... ermm

I just assumed that was common sense. It takes time to unload and unpack those boxes.

Nah, that takes about 10 minutes per box and new games never even get onto the shelf the day it comes out because 90% of the copies are preorders.

More like it takes time for them to get the games from the warehouse to the store stick out tongue

General Kaliero
Nah, that takes about 10 minutes per box and new games never even get onto the shelf the day it comes out because 90% of the copies are preorders.

More like it takes time for them to get the games from the warehouse to the store stick out tongue

Nah, I know they send the games from the warehouse via transmat and they get there instantly. It's all a conspiracy so you evil store employees can play the games first! stick out tongue

InnerRise

I just assumed that was common sense. It takes time to unload and unpack those boxes. Well I just knew that it was said it was the RELEASE DATE and I have actually found many games on their release date. Thought THAT was common sense. closedeyes

General Kaliero
That's not common sense, that's just marketing messing with your head.

The idea is, if you go there and they don't have the game you wanted, maybe you'll buy another game since you're there anyway, then come back the next day to get the game you wanted in the first place.

InnerRise
It sucks that SUPER PAPER MARIO, which this thread happens to be about, is only 20 hours long approximately. Considering that Thousand Year Door is about 40 hours long, and I'm already at that and still haven't finished, it's kind of a let down.

Well I'm on my way out to see if they have it now. Adios.

((The_Anomaly))
I picked this up today....its amazing thus far. A platforming and visual masterpiece. I still haven't gotten far enough to give a real overall judgement on the game (I don't even have Bowser yet) But thus far its outstanding.

InnerRise
no expression

((The_Anomaly))
no expression ???

AstroFan
This game starts off painfully slow(it still hasnt picked up where im at), but it is funny and you can see early on that all the gameplay elements will be a blast in levels were they are put to use.

InnerRise
Yeah....like the first 20 mins in the beginning is kind of slow.

Prepare for some more information. doped

AstroFan
I do like the Count, he is strangely funny. stick out tongue

I hope he interacts more with Bowser, I thought that was really funny at the start. laughing out loud

InnerRise
Let's not SPOIL the game as soon as it comes out ok? How about that idea?

Lana
Okay, I really fail to see how saying a character is funny is any sort of spoiler.

AstroFan

Oh my god. roll eyes (sarcastic)

General Kaliero
Inner, cool off. It was decided long ago that character names are not giant spoilers. It doesn't even have a name at all, it could be Count Dracula for all you know.

In other news, I agree with Ast. The Count is amusing (as are most of the characters) and it does get off to a bit of a slow start.

Can't wait to get into the later levels, though.

InnerRise

anata wa wakarimasu ka..... This was just a warning as it seemed like at any point in time one was ready to pop up AS THEY ALWAYS DO.

So I just put that out there early.

And even if it's not a spoiler, I hate to know even things like that....let's me know right there that more than likely a vampire character is involved. I'm particular like that..

And Lana, I did not report anybody so really....really....shh.....

Lana
Number one, do not tell me to 'shh' or anything of the sort. I don't care if you didn't report anyone, if I'm reading a thread and see something idiotic, I will point it out.

And you have no place giving any sort of 'warnings', either. That is my job.

And I will make this very clear. Something is not considered a spoiler unless it is directly plot related, in which case it must be marked with the spoiler tags. If you are not happy with this, then I would say avoid the thread until you have finished the game.

InnerRise
"Number 1" Haha. Well I wouldn't think telling you to "shhh" to be the number 1 issue here queen egotistical.

Saying Shhhh won't kill you and I clearly stated I know that it is not a spoiler.

And I'm aware that character names are able to be thrown left and right.

And pointing out what you deem as "idiotic" achieves nothing so just don't.

And I can't give out warnings officially so your position is still intact for now so don't take it to heart or worry about it.

I think this has gone on far enough as it is and should never have precipitated and should be shut down ahora mismo.

Not another word.

Get Some Rest. doped

JToTheP
So...I picked up my pre-ordered copy after I saw Reign Over Me, and I'm on 1-2. I think it's great so far, I love the swapping from 2D to 3D and back!

Lana
"Number 1" Haha. Well I wouldn't think telling you to "shhh" to be the number 1 issue here queen egotistical.

Saying Shhhh won't kill you and I clearly stated I know that it is not a spoiler.

And I'm aware that character names are able to be thrown left and right.

And pointing out what you deem as "idiotic" achieves nothing so just don't.

And I can't give out warnings officially so your position is still intact for now so don't take it to heart or worry about it.

I think this has gone on far enough as it is and should never have precipitated and should be shut down ahora mismo.

Not another word.

Get Some Rest. doped

You know what I don't appreciate?

People who try and backseat mod while having a horrible attitude towards others.

Do not try it again.

InnerRise
Yeah, I'm in a bad mood. Guess wrong time, wrong place. Sorry I guess.

JToTheP
I love the mini 8-bit Mario level up, and the 8-bit star mario!

Refused
What a fun ****ing game. I've already logged in 4.5 hours. Simple but super fun platformer/adventure/rpg. I love it.

MadMel
that does it i want it now :@

Skeets
I getting my copy in an hour..

MadMel
sweet i can get this off eBay
with luck..no expression

InnerRise
Anybody else disappointed by the length of this game...especially when compared to Thousand Year Door's 40 hour time length? erm

Although I'm not as excited for this game as I would be if it were more RPG oriented and not side scroller, I'm still semi excited for it I guess. Still need to finish Thousand Year Door, which I'm sure I'll do Friday, and hopefully Friday I'll get Super Paper Mario and so I'll start that Friday as well.

For those that do have the game........can you see yourself playing it over again once you've completed it once?

I've learned that the game is pretty wordy, has been described as a novel, although the dialogue is still very amusing. It's even said this game is wordy to the point where it may not be appropriate for young children of a certain age.

Hmmm....

DarkC
The first Paper Mario is still a classic.

I've developed a bit of a fondness for Bow.

General Kaliero
It's hard to be disappointed with game length until you've, y'know, finished the game. I'm only on the third world, and there's tons of opportunity for exploration.

And frankly, I think this surpasses TTYD. The gameplay is brilliant.

I'm sure I'll be playing it over again, just for the hilarious story elements, and to make sure I've got EVERYTHING you can find.

((The_Anomaly))
This game really is brilliant. I'm on world 4 now and I can safely say that once it really picks up, it picks up big, and it really is a blast to play. Its very addicting as well. It pretty much lived up to my expectations completely. Its fantastic, and despite (some) loooong written dialogue being well...long, all of it is amazingly written, its witty and humours and pokes fun at so many different things from both the Mario universe and pop culture, its a blast. Easily the next best game on the Wii (nest to Zelda: TP). If you own a Wii you should own this game, without a shadow of a doubt. From what I've played thus far I'm even enjoying it more the New Super Mario Bros. Its amazing.

MadMel
must...................have.....*gasp*
surgeon - "ok, he needs that new nintendo game stat!"

JToTheP
InnerRise needs to get over it already about the game length. It IS NOT an RPG, it is a PLATFORMER with RPG ELEMENTS. 20 hours is quite long for a platformer, so let it go already and if you choose not to buy it for the length factor when it's a different GENRE. You're screwing yourself out of a great game.

InnerRise
InnerRise needs to get over it already about the game length. It IS NOT an RPG, it is a PLATFORMER with RPG ELEMENTS. 20 hours is quite long for a platformer, so let it go already and if you choose not to buy it for the length factor when it's a different GENRE. You're screwing yourself out of a great game. Although curiosity killed that cat...........assumptions are just as lethal. roll eyes (sarcastic)

General Kaliero
Then stop making assumptions that because a platformer doesn't have RPG hours, it's not good.

InnerRise
Then stop making assumptions that because a platformer doesn't have RPG hours, it's not good. Originally posted by InnerRise
Although curiosity killed that cat...........assumptions are just as lethal. roll eyes (sarcastic)

anata wa wakarimasu ka..... anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

General Kaliero
InnerRise needs to get over it already about the game length. It IS NOT an RPG, it is a PLATFORMER with RPG ELEMENTS. 20 hours is quite long for a platformer, so let it go already and if you choose not to buy it for the length factor when it's a different GENRE. You're screwing yourself out of a great game.

Look, I can quote people too! eek!

Seriously, though... just try playing it before being worried about playtime, eh? If you're really that worried about it, rent the damn game first.

InnerRise
I'm definitely buying the game no matter what, that's why I'm like "HUH" WHAT" when you all say I'm not going to buy it or like it b/c of the run time.

I was simply stating that I wish it was longer. The only thing I said about liking the game is that I may not like it AS MUCH b/c of the lack of as many RPG Elements as the last one.

But I'm definitely getting it and I don't doubt that I'll enjoy/like it.

pinkfloydkor
no expression no expression ninja huh

that wasn't confusing at all....

General Kaliero
If you're going to buy it anyway, then why whine about the game's length?

And common sense tells me it's silly to moan about how "short" a game is when one has not even begun playing said game yet.

Burnt Pancakes
Anomaly has, hasn't he? no expression

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by Burnt Pancakes
Anomaly has, hasn't he? no expression

Wait, what have I done? confused

InnerRise
Hmm......approx. 20 hours worth of game play....wish it were longer. doped

*MOANS AND WHINES* roll eyes (sarcastic)

pinkfloydkor
well now that we have established that the games length NO LONGER MATTERS in this thread, lets move on

SO people who hae played this game so far, besides the 3D shift, how different is it than TTYD?

InnerRise
Well compared to Thousand Year Door....it is considerably shorter.

pinkfloydkor
thanks for that Inner, i really had no idea

InnerRise
Anytime.

General Kaliero
Now for something useful and, y'know, not antagonistic.

Originally posted by pinkfloydkor
well now that we have established that the games length NO LONGER MATTERS in this thread, lets move on

SO people who hae played this game so far, besides the 3D shift, how different is it than TTYD?

Well, the character situation is different, since you're not gathering a large party. Only four at the most, and one on-screen at a time.

The fighting mechanic is mostly jumping at the right time, classic Mario style. However, there are also items like there were in TTYD, that simply affect one or more enemies on-screen. The player health is the same, so you can get hurt a certain number of times before dying.

The story style is pretty similar. Basic fantasy story, modified for Mario and the rest of the gang, topped off with smart and quirky humor. Even unimportant background characters have a certain unique quality all their own.

In closing, a Goomba.

Goomba: "NOOOOOOOO... GARY!"

big grin

MadMel
hmm..can you do the stuff you can do in TYD??
eg. paper plane?

InnerRise
Hmm....I wonder.......be kind of......surprising if they were to take those aspects out of play.

But they do add new moves and stuff so you never know.

General Kaliero
The flipping sideways thing is still in, except via a Pixl named Slim instead of Mario simply having the ability. I dunno if rolling up or becoming a plane are, but I doubt the plane thing is still around since Peach can float.

InnerRise
hmm..can you do the stuff you can do in TYD??
eg. paper plane? I wonder if we'd have enough TIME in the game to be able to do all of the things done in Thousand Year Door anyway.

happy

JToTheP
I wonder if we'd have enough TIME in the game to be able to do all of the things done in Thousand Year Door anyway.

happy

Dude, seriously now, time is NOT the issue here. I think you've dragged that out enough.

InnerRise
I'm sure Super Paper Mario won't drag out though considering how long it is...

pinkfloydkor
it really wasnt funny the first, second, third or ANY other time

so drop it, seriously

so anyway, is peach like in your party? you can choose her anytime?

JToTheP

so drop it, seriously

so anyway, is peach like in your party? you can choose her anytime?

All I know is she uses her Parasol to travel over pits.

General Kaliero
Yes, you can switch to any character you have at any time. With Peach, if you hold 2 when you jump she'll float until she hits ground or falls off the screen. She can also hold down while standing to use her parasol as a shield against attacks.

InnerRise

so drop it, seriously

so anyway, is peach like in your party? you can choose her anytime? It wasn't meant to be funny. I was serious until people made a big deal about a simple innocent question about how they felt about the time length. I didn't make it an issue. The last time I checked, I'm allowed to ask questions and shouldn't be accosted by people who ASSUME things left and right based on simple question.

JToTheP
Yes, you can switch to any character you have at any time. With Peach, if you hold 2 when you jump she'll float until she hits ground or falls off the screen. She can also hold down while standing to use her parasol as a shield against attacks.

Oh cool, so it's like Super Princess Peach! eek!

Skeets
Just played for about an hour or so.
Very good so far.
Gotta love the koppa troopers with shades on...cool

pinkfloydkor

sounds cool, who are some of the people you get in your party?

General Kaliero
SPOILAHS!

Mario, Peach, Bowser are the three I have now.

I think there are more though.

I also want to note that Bowser's Baddies are hilarious in this game. I was waiting for that one Koopa Troopa to shout "Game over, man, game over!"

InnerRise
Did anybody purchase this game from a Wal-Mart? I actually went to one and they didn't have it.

I'll be checking at 2 Wal-Marts tomorrow.

General Kaliero
I got my copy at EB.

...Er, Gamestop.

Last unreserved copy they had in the store.

MadMel
goddammit
ebay doesnt have any "buy now" options for this anymore sad

InnerRise
goddammit
ebay doesnt have any "buy now" options for this anymore sad I was about to suggest that you stop by a store and check to see if they have it, but I'm guessing it's not released yet over there.

That sucks.

MadMel
nope
not here yet sad

InnerRise
Considering I'm posting right under your sad post MadMel please forgive, but I actually got this game today.

Yeah...that's it....all that I wanted to announce........

MadMel
laughing out loud its ok

InnerRise
Whoa World was rather trippy.

I really have to ask a question though.

Has anybody done any of the 100 Pit Trial?

Because I've done it and I've gotten to level 50

So once you finish the first 10 levels your reward is a card for Tippi and the information on it tells that Tippi's real name is Timpani, who we've actually been getting a little dialogue from in between chapters unknowingly.

So I feel as if the game just revealed a potentially huge plot twist, b/c I had no idea that's who it was and then it's just told to me all willy nilly. So maybe it ends up not being that big of a thing I guess. But once I read that card I was like...........What the f**k?.......it was interesting to find out but you would think it would have ended up being some huge reveal and not something revealed to you on some card

I think I have some kind of idea who Blumiere is though.

MadMel
ur teasing me sad

InnerRise
ur teasing me sad Am I now? dodgy

So my suspicious were true as to who Blumiere was.

I'm right at the end of the game and am sure if I hadn't returned to college today that I would have finished it. I so wanted to complete it.

Ahora Mismo I'm at level 15 or 16 coming up on the next level fast. I have yet to get a game over. This game is relatively easy.

Thousand Year Door was considerably harder than this, although it wasn't that hard either except for the last boss.

Whenever I think I'm coming up on a dialogue scene I try my best to be any character but Mario b/c he doesn't talk and I feel it's a waist and I'd rather be one of the other choosable characters so that I can read their responses.

I do think though that by being Mario doing dialogue scenes means that you just get to see Tippi respond instead b/c something I've been noticing is that she talks more when you're Mario and not as much when you're the others so maybe that's it.

The funniest, more over the top dialogue comes from Bowser so that's who I like to be the most during dialogue scenes.

MadMel
grrr
god, if you really love me, youll put super paper mario in all australian store..in return ill.....erm....play it

InnerRise
You ask too much of God. Be Patient......as I am.....was.......dodgy

MadMel
hmm!!

JToTheP
grrr
god, if you really love me, youll put super paper mario in all australian store..in return ill.....erm....play it

Unless God is Nintendo who's putting out the game, I don't think he can help much.

InnerRise
God is still putting out Atari games. He doesn't even know what an Nintendo Wii is. ermm

MadMel
first he builds the universe in 6 days, then he takes him time doing everything else erm

InnerRise
first he builds the universe in 6 days, then he takes him time doing everything else erm Are you questioning ME and god?eek

MadMel
laughing out loud

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>