Crazy in Love

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xmarksthespot
Dr Fisher has subdivided "love" into three stages with each having a distinct set of critical neurotransmitters/hormones.

Lust, which is relatively self-explanatory and driven by testosterone and oestrogen. Romantic love which is characterized by a degree of euphoria, obsession thinking and focused attention, and is driven by monoamines. And attachment, maintained and driven by oxytocin and vasopressin.

So is love simply chemicals in the brain, or do you think there's more to it?
How much do you agree with the notion that love is akin to a mental disorder?
Do you think you've ever been or are you currently "in love" and how aptly do Fisher's stages describe what you felt/feel?

Soleran
I agree for the most part and studies like this have been saying what you summed up for over a decade now (probably longer thats just when I actually read about them.0

Interesting none the less and certainly does take the "mystery" out of romance huhsmile

xmarksthespot
It also compounds the difficulty of treatment of the clinically depressed. sad

Soleran
In my opinion we look to "treat" far to many things today and end up creating as many problems as solving.

Living in the world of Pharma goodness.................. no

xmarksthespot
Meh.. clinical depression is a serious condition. There is such a thing as chemical imbalance in the brain despite what Dr Tom Cruise and his PhD from Crazy-couch-jumping-my-baby-doesn't-actually-exist-I-hug-people-with-my-crotch University says.

Soleran
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Meh.. clinical depression is a serious condition. There is such a thing as chemical imbalance in the brain despite what Dr Tom Cruise and his PhD from Crazy-couch-jumping-my-baby-doesn't-actually-exist-I-hug-people-with-my-crotch University says.

I don't deny there are illness's that need treatment, just about how we diagnose and treat...................lol thirty years ago amphetamines were used for over 30 odd illness'ssmile No wonder we got fat in the USA we got off speed from doctors.

Tom Cruise............... laughing On a side note if crazy gets you Katie Holmes, crazy must be a pretty ok place to be.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Soleran
I don't deny there are illness's that need treatment, just about how we diagnose and treat...................lol thirty years ago amphetamines were used for over 30 odd illness'ssmile No wonder we got fat in the USA we got off speed from doctors.

Tom Cruise............... laughing On a side note if crazy gets you Katie Holmes, crazy must be a pretty ok place to be. With the advent of modern scientific techniques and increased knowledge of cognitive function pharmacology is less likely to go down such unsafe routes imo. Besides I can't think of many alternatives off the top of my head.

As for Katie Holmes... I don't think there was much point in him getting her...
http://www.mollygood.com/celebrities/071706%20Tom%20Cruise-thumb.jpg
What better way to greet an old associate by rubbing crotches?

Must resist derailing own thread.

botankus
Damn, I thought this was a thread about CrazyInLove, the KMC Member. Speaking of which...Becca, get your ass on the computer and post more!!

Fëanor
Originally posted by botankus
Damn, I thought this was a thread about CrazyInLove, the KMC Member. Speaking of which...Becca, get your ass on the computer and post more!! you and me both! i thought i was gonna have to hurt someone. and she can't.

botankus
Why not?

Fëanor
Originally posted by botankus
Why not? can't say on here, bot. the walls have eyes, and ears, and a mouth....two legs and arms. ohwait! that's my poster of Lima big grin

Dr. Zaius
The ancient Greeks thought erotic love was a mental disorder that temporarily overcame man's rational faculties.

Sounds about right. wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.