Silent Hill

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

klaus kinski
What did you think of the movie Silent Hill? It was a good movie.
But, I didn't understand the ending. confused

Dusty
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=400816&perpage=20&highlight=Silent+hill+forumid%3A58&pagenumber=1

hellsangels
i thought the film was a great enactment of the game, they used the same music from Akira Yamaoka, they and the Silent Hill team worked on it together which to my opinion gave its authentic feel.

did anyone else catch the film or play the game?

the dvd release comes out august 21st

i hear there may be a sequel also too, im not a huge fan of sequels.. but maybe this could work with the right people

stunna1773
that gives me more of a reason to watch it. i thought it would turn out like resident evil did

hellsangels
check the trailer.. it looks wicked... www.trailerplayer.com/trailerRef.php?Traname=http://www.trailerplayer.com/Silent_Hill_Trailer_Play_snif.html

bigsnuff
I thought it sucked. There were a few cool visuals, but overall it was like watching a video game (not a good thing), and I somehow new it was going to go all Hellraiser 3 before it did.

MR Potter
with respect to this movie, I do not like for anything. Although it has the scenes similar to the game, this does not finish convincing. However history has much to do with the game, but not with history that they want to count, they had been based on the Silent hill 1 and the movie had been a little better.

Last the movies based on video games, Sucks

The Machine
I loved Silent Hill. I just wish they would have shown more of PyramidHead. Maybe in Part II they will have more of him.

woody82
I'm fine with more pyraqmid head as long as theres none of that stuff he did in silent hill 2 when your hid in the coupad and he's banging another pyramid head. big grin lol

hellsangels
Originally posted by stunna1773
that gives me more of a reason to watch it. i thought it would turn out like resident evil did

thankfully it didnt come out anything like resident evil

SelphieT
Originally posted by woody82
I'm fine with more pyraqmid head as long as theres none of that stuff he did in silent hill 2 when your hid in the coupad and he's banging another pyramid head. big grin lol

hahaha yeah that was awkward big grin

hellsangels
the release date keeps changing... i heard it was being pushed back to 4th september.. but ive just seen a pop up for the 28th... anyone know much about this?

Wolfie
I just watched this last night. It didn't do anything for me. It got tired... fast. The CGI was bad. And I'm getting so sick of the "mother lost her child" story, though I'm sure it's not the movie's fault, that's probably the plot of the video game, huh?

SnakeEyes
Yeah... I thought this movie was pretty damn bad.

SelphieT
Originally posted by Wolfie
I just watched this last night. It didn't do anything for me. It got tired... fast. The CGI was bad. And I'm getting so sick of the "mother lost her child" story, though I'm sure it's not the movie's fault, that's probably the plot of the video game, huh?

well in the game its supposed to be the FATHER looking for the child. I haven't played the first, but I've played some of the second. I'd have to play the games first to really judge the movie.

The girl was the only part I thought was really annoying.

hellsangels
thats the debate.. if you can only appreciate the film as a game player

Wolfie
That's what makes an awful movie. It's fine to make a movie that's based on a video game but it should also be able to stand by itself.

I hadn't played more than a few minutes of any of the Tomb Raider games before I saw the movies. I enjoyed the movies.

If I need to play the Silent Hill games to enjoy the movie, it's not a very good movie.

Evil Dead
this movie was horrible.

There was no build up.......no character development. As soon as the movie opens.......it's off and running to Silent Hill, why?.....because a little girl was sleep walking and said Silent Hill. Yeah......the audience is really along with this without further explanation, back story or even knowing who these characters are. It's like they started the movie 30 minutes into it.......and the audience just missed all the important stuff building up to them going to Silent Hill.

Once they get to Silent Hill......crazy shit happens. Okay....I'm down with that, as long as it's explained later. Then the explanation comes. The girl built this imaginary world to punish those who burned her. Alrighty.........but uh.....why is this world still in existence after she's killed all the religious nuts? Who was the other little girl? was it satan? we don't know.......all we know is that the other girl came to the burned girl in the hospital and offered to help her take revenge. beyond that.....no explanation.

bad movie. Atleast Resident Evil had a plot.......not a bunch of questions and is still reasonably fun to watch as a popcorn movie if nothing else.

SelphieT
Originally posted by Evil Dead
this movie was horrible.

There was no build up.......no character development. As soon as the movie opens.......it's off and running to Silent Hill, why?.....because a little girl was sleep walking and said Silent Hill. Yeah......the audience is really along with this without further explanation, back story or even knowing who these characters are. It's like they started the movie 30 minutes into it.......and the audience just missed all the important stuff building up to them going to Silent Hill.

Once they get to Silent Hill......crazy shit happens. Okay....I'm down with that, as long as it's explained later. Then the explanation comes. The girl built this imaginary world to punish those who burned her. Alrighty.........but uh.....why is this world still in existence after she's killed all the religious nuts? Who was the other little girl? was it satan? we don't know.......all we know is that the other girl came to the burned girl in the hospital and offered to help her take revenge. beyond that.....no explanation.

bad movie. Atleast Resident Evil had a plot.......not a bunch of questions and is still reasonably fun to watch as a popcorn movie if nothing else.

you do have a really good point there

Evil Dead
I didn't even mention the lack of score or horrible CGI.......

crazy_shadow
Originally posted by woody82
I'm fine with more pyraqmid head as long as theres none of that stuff he did in silent hill 2 when your hid in the coupad and he's banging another pyramid head. big grin lol if u mean cupboard...that wasnt another pyramid head, it was like 2 mannequins, and i think he was just killing them or something...the thought of "banging" didnt occur to me till the 3rd time i played and my friends like "wtf?!"

crazy_shadow
Originally posted by Evil Dead
this movie was horrible.

bad movie. Atleast Resident Evil had a plot.......not a bunch of questions and is still reasonably fun to watch as a popcorn movie if nothing else. how do you not understand any of it, but i do? confused

Evil Dead
who said I didn't understand it? It's not exactly Primer.....or anything near as complex. I understand it perfectly.......I understand that it was a shitty movie. No character development, no plot development, unanswered questions, lack of score, horrible CG.......

ps. cute emoticon kiddo.

Kryzula
This could have been a great horror film had it been handled differently. Some of the visual effects in it were really amazing, but that alone could not save it. Oh well. =/

It has succeeded in making me more interested in the game, though.

~ Kryzula

roughrider
They shot this film mostly in my hometown of Brantford, Ontario - an hour southwest of Toronto. Several streets in our downtown core are so depressed - closed businesses, shuttered windows - that we won dubious honours of having The Worst Downtown in Canada (while also having the best parks & gardens; there's irony.) It's slowly turning around, but it was easy for the filmmakers to make those streets look even worse, and putting up false fronts and the like. I took several photos of the set, on the days they weren't shooting.
Scenes earlier in the film around the cliff and waterfall, that was outside Hamilton, a half hour east toward Lake Ontario. The falls is Tew's Falls; the glowing cross area is around a gorge known as The Devil's Punchbowl.
The film itself was creepy and fascinating, but ultimately too long to get where it's going, and some CGI wasn't convincing. Good music score though - dark & industrial. And Laurie Holden is way hot.

hellsangels
i do think the sequel (if it goes through) that it is less based on the game.. it would make a better film perhaps and non-gamers can follow it a fresh

E.C.
What would have been better, not just for non-gamers but for the sake of a better movie, is if the storyline stayed closer to the actual storyline of the town, but not make that backstory the main story and do something similar to the Silent Hill 2 game.

I think the writers did a good job adapting the story of the first game into a coherent story, but their version makes Alessa the main (only?) reason why the town is screwed up. Now that Alessa/Sharon's "cured", the town may as well as go back to normal.

And it also, as said by too many people to count, the plot wasn't structured well.

(minor GAME SPOILER here) Alessa wasn't the reason the town was screwed; it was a demon god that the cult worshipped. The child Alessa/Sharon was supposed to give birth to this god, but that caused... problems.

The cool thing about Silent Hill 2 was that the story was independent of the backstory of the town. The main guy found clues as to why the town was the way it was, but the main story of finding his dead wife was still dominant. Such structure also meant that other people could be drawn to the town and have their own experiences (in sequels), regardless of Alessa or the cult. As such, the town would always be haunted regardless of Alessa.

I think the movie Silent Hill would have been better if it took that approach.

And, to be honest, as a HUGE Silent Hill fan, I love the concept and atmosphere of the games a lot more than the complete backstory (which is conflicting and even a little hokey).

Oh well, there's always the games (which I HIGHLY recommend to anyone).

Kryzula
I agree with a lot of your points E.C.

The painfully overembellished back-story on Alessa and the exaggerated dramatics by the religious zealots really grated on my nerves. I would have preferred a little more restraint during those parts. It would have been better if everything had been explained a little more subtly. I enjoyed the times when the atmosphere was quiet, mysterious, and surreal. I did not enjoy the ridiculous theatrics near the end... gah. That's what ruined it for me.

I think I am going to have to watch this movie again. I might be able to overlook it's shortcomings if I just focus on the good stuff. I don't think that it was a bad film, it just failed to be great like it could have been.

~ Kryzula

lovintatum
it was an okay movie,but what was the ending about?anyone know?

Dejio
I think the movie was great. The atmosphere of the game was captured beautifully on film.

Although I didn't like the reason why the mother and her daughter came to Silent Hill in the first place. I thought it was not very believeable.

Also, I hated the fact that they keep mentioning "Silent Hill" in the movie and that it was a fairly known ghost town. I think it would have been a better idea if they just stumbled into town without knowing anything about it.

Other than that, I think it's a very good adaptation of a game. Better than Resident Evil.

Solo
It's my worst movie of 2006 so far.

Dejio
I'd say my worst movie this year would be "Lady In The Water". And to think I'm an M. Night Shyamalan fan!

Anywho..looking forward to buying Silent Hill on DVD.

systemshock2
Originally posted by roughrider
They shot this film mostly in my hometown of Brantford, Ontario - an hour southwest of Toronto. Several streets in our downtown core are so depressed - closed businesses, shuttered windows - that we won dubious honours of having The Worst Downtown in Canada (while also having the best parks & gardens; there's irony.) It's slowly turning around, but it was easy for the filmmakers to make those streets look even worse, and putting up false fronts and the like. I took several photos of the set, on the days they weren't shooting.
Scenes earlier in the film around the cliff and waterfall, that was outside Hamilton, a half hour east toward Lake Ontario. The falls is Tew's Falls; the glowing cross area is around a gorge known as The Devil's Punchbowl.
The film itself was creepy and fascinating, but ultimately too long to get where it's going, and some CGI wasn't convincing. Good music score though - dark & industrial. And Laurie Holden is way hot.

You lucky punk =P. How sweet that you had a chance to go through the town set and so on. I loved the movie, and how cool would it have been for me to drop by the actual town. Anychance you can post your pics up roughrider, I'd really like to take a look. Interesting that the cross was located at a place called The Devil's punchbowl too.

Btw I still haven't figured out what the movie poster of Alessa without a mouth is suppose to mean. Anyone know?

roughrider
Originally posted by systemshock2
You lucky punk =P. How sweet that you had a chance to go through the town set and so on. I loved the movie, and how cool would it have been for me to drop by the actual town. Anychance you can post your pics up roughrider, I'd really like to take a look. Interesting that the cross was located at a place called The Devil's punchbowl too.

Btw I still haven't figured out what the movie poster of Alessa without a mouth is suppose to mean. Anyone know?

I can try posting some pictures, but they may be too big for the bite size allowed for files. We'll see.

roughrider
OK; I had to shrink these down a bit to fit file requirements, but here are some photos of the set I took, in April 2005.

The main street they dressed was Colbourne St. Here's looking out, towards the way everyone comes in.

roughrider
This movie theatre is a completely fake front.
Note the title - The Omega Man, circa 1971. It's about to get remade with the title of the original novel, I Am Legend.

Yes: that's me standing in front.

roughrider
A fake newspaper. The real city newspaper building is on the other side of the street up ahead. It was used for the scene when Chris looks in the city police archives.

roughrider
I check out a false bank they put up.

For info on the real city and my hometown, look here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brantford%2C_Ontario

Fianchettoer
You ****ers couldn't do a better job if you had 30 million to work with, I liked it.

Lucifer_M
the ending was they were trapped in that dimension FOREVER!!!!!

LaHaine
this movie was a piece of shit

Solo
Originally posted by Fianchettoer
You ****ers couldn't do a better job if you had 30 million to work with, I liked it.

You're ****ing kidding me, right? That's such an ignorant statement. When movies that rely on visuals like "The Fountain" are being made for 35 million, I'm sure it'd be pretty easy to make a decent horror film for 30 million. If you knew a thing about film you'd almost have to agree with me.

It was absolutely terrible, if I haven't said so before.

systemshock2
Originally posted by roughrider
I check out a false bank they put up.

For info on the real city and my hometown, look here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brantford%2C_Ontario

Sweet shots! Thanks a lot roughrider, I appreciate it. Amazing to see how different the city looked there as oppossed to the final result on film. Hey did you manage to grab any memorabilia from the set?

roughrider
Sweet shots! Thanks a lot roughrider, I appreciate it. Amazing to see how different the city looked there as oppossed to the final result on film. Hey did you manage to grab any memorabilia from the set?

No, just the pictures.

Fianchettoer
They died in the car accident from the start, and they were in their own purgatory until they believed they could leave. So what was the deal with all the hell-fiends? Are they there b/c they were originally human but have been there so long they evolved to the conditions? And why doesn't anything else attack them like they do the fresh victims? Also, since they were all dead, why was the woman killed by the triangle head guy? What happened to her soul?

systemshock2
They died in the car accident from the start, and they were in their own purgatory until they believed they could leave. So what was the deal with all the hell-fiends? Are they there b/c they were originally human but have been there so long they evolved to the conditions? And why doesn't anything else attack them like they do the fresh victims? Also, since they were all dead, why was the woman killed by the triangle head guy? What happened to her soul?

I posted this in the other Silent hill thread about what I thought the monsters were about and figured I could paste this here too.

======================

The Ash Children: I think these were the children who made fun of Alessa, and once Alessa turned Silent Hill into her own world turned them into these screaming ashen things. (If you notice there's no children at all within the religious group now)

That coocon monster who spews out acid: I think this was suppose to be a representation of Alessa and all of her skin graft patches. I know it's a stretch, but looking at the monster it seems like it's forcibly trying to get free of the skin that's on top of it, and I think this represents Alessa being forced to have those skin grafts on her after she was burned.

That barbed wire monster: obviously this is the janitor that molested and/or raped Alessa. I think he was wrapped in barbed wire in such a disfigured manner that if you think about, it'll be physically impossible for him to ever have sex or jerk himself off. Maybe Alessa wanted him to never have that gratification again? And the way he has a bandage over his eyes implies that he might have lost his vision too, signifying that Alessa won't even give him the pleasure of ever seeing a woman again.

Pyramid Head: this is the only monster that I can't put my finger on anything. He's so unique, and there's no other character in the film that somehow relates to him. I can't find any meaning to his pyramid head, or the apron made of skin, or the large knife, or those freaky cockroaches. I think in this case it was all just made up with no purpose behind it.

The nurses: these monsters might be a loose interpretations of the nurse that decided to get a quick peek at Alessa. IMO they all have wrapped bandages completely covering their faces because this signifies Alessa's jealousy at how pretty the nurse was, and how after the accident Alessa will never be. When we finally see that the real nurse has no pupils, a cracked face, and bleeds blood this further acknowledges my theory of how Alessa purposely ruined her beauty.

==============

As far as the redhead that was killed by Pyramid Head, as with her and the whole religious group, they're neither dead nor alive at the same time. IMO they're stuck in some dimensional limbo where both the people and the monsters can still be hurt and killed (i.e., the roach that was stomped, Pyramid Head's arm being shot, the Nurse's necks being slashed, the miner's being eaten alive, the redhead's skin being ripped off, and so on).

SelphieT
They died in the car accident from the start, and they were in their own purgatory until they believed they could leave. So what was the deal with all the hell-fiends? Are they there b/c they were originally human but have been there so long they evolved to the conditions? And why doesn't anything else attack them like they do the fresh victims? Also, since they were all dead, why was the woman killed by the triangle head guy? What happened to her soul? wait, how do you know they died?

deathbycorn
I don't play the games but did anyone else think it was a bit like In The Mouth of Madness?

Did the first Silent Hill game come out before or after In The Mouth of Madness?

SelphieT
Originally posted by deathbycorn
I don't play the games but did anyone else think it was a bit like In The Mouth of Madness?

Did the first Silent Hill game come out before or after In The Mouth of Madness? hmm, never thought about it like that

deathbycorn
Silent Hill & Hobb's End were both these 'other dimension' fictional towns, not on the map, that had weird creatures roaming around.

Seem's very similar to me stick out tongue

SelphieT
hmm yeah, but silent hill will never be as scary as In The Mouth of Madness

crazy_shadow
I posted this in the other Silent hill thread about what I thought the monsters were about and figured I could paste this here too.

======================

The Ash Children: I think these were the children who made fun of Alessa, and once Alessa turned Silent Hill into her own world turned them into these screaming ashen things. (If you notice there's no children at all within the religious group now)

That coocon monster who spews out acid: I think this was suppose to be a representation of Alessa and all of her skin graft patches. I know it's a stretch, but looking at the monster it seems like it's forcibly trying to get free of the skin that's on top of it, and I think this represents Alessa being forced to have those skin grafts on her after she was burned.

That barbed wire monster: obviously this is the janitor that molested and/or raped Alessa. I think he was wrapped in barbed wire in such a disfigured manner that if you think about, it'll be physically impossible for him to ever have sex or jerk himself off. Maybe Alessa wanted him to never have that gratification again? And the way he has a bandage over his eyes implies that he might have lost his vision too, signifying that Alessa won't even give him the pleasure of ever seeing a woman again.

Pyramid Head: this is the only monster that I can't put my finger on anything. He's so unique, and there's no other character in the film that somehow relates to him. I can't find any meaning to his pyramid head, or the apron made of skin, or the large knife, or those freaky cockroaches. I think in this case it was all just made up with no purpose behind it.

The nurses: these monsters might be a loose interpretations of the nurse that decided to get a quick peek at Alessa. IMO they all have wrapped bandages completely covering their faces because this signifies Alessa's jealousy at how pretty the nurse was, and how after the accident Alessa will never be. When we finally see that the real nurse has no pupils, a cracked face, and bleeds blood this further acknowledges my theory of how Alessa purposely ruined her beauty.

==============

As far as the redhead that was killed by Pyramid Head, as with her and the whole religious group, they're neither dead nor alive at the same time. IMO they're stuck in some dimensional limbo where both the people and the monsters can still be hurt and killed (i.e., the roach that was stomped, Pyramid Head's arm being shot, the Nurse's necks being slashed, the miner's being eaten alive, the redhead's skin being ripped off, and so on). or all the monsters could just be copied from the game for fun big grin

systemshock2
At my friends place we were watching the Silent Hill DVD on his kickass surround sound system, listening to it real loudly, and I swear that there are some subliminal voices that happen throughout the film. What I'm referring to is there are scenes where the voice of Alessa can barely be heard saying some words (in fact I credit the stereo being turned on so loud for me being able to hear it).

Pay close attention to the scene when Rose first finds the flashlight in one of the buildings, or when Rose is inside the Midwich school in the classroom. You can hear the voice of Alessa very quietly say "here" or "mommy". The best scene for this is when Rose, the cop, and the redhead are just finding the painting in front of Room 111, or when Rose jumps over those columns to find Alessa huddled in the corner crying.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.