rise and fall of the shi'ar empire

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

stickman618
i just got the first two issues of this series, i think its cool but i have a few questions.

1. what are vulcans powers?
2. who is darwin?
3. does polaris have new powers?
4. what the heck happened to nightcrawlers hair?

Kaos sebaceous
Darwin is a mutant with the ability to adapt his body to any situation for an example if he was underwater he would grow gills

stickman618
was he part of prof x's shi'ar x-men?

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by stickman618
i just got the first two issues of this series, i think its cool but i have a few questions.

1. what are vulcans powers?
2. who is darwin?
3. does polaris have new powers?
4. what the heck happened to nightcrawlers hair?

1.) Vulcan powers to put it vaguely is that he can manipulates energy. He hasn't shown any limits as he negated Rachel's Psionic and Phoenix Energy.

2.)Darwin is an X-Men from the X-Men 1.5 team which was the second team to be sent to Krakoa. Sway and Petra were also part of this team...Emma was almost part of this team.

Darwin has the ability to adapt to any situation in order to survive. He can also consciously activate his powers.

3.) Yep, from Apocalypse but she's not a mutant anymore

4.)Lawnmower.

stickman618
so what are her new powers?

ExodusCloak
so what are her new powers?

A semblance of her old powers.

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
1.) Vulcan powers to put it vaguely is that he can manipulates energy. He hasn't shown any limits as he negated Rachel's Psionic and Phoenix Energy.

Rachel isnt currently hosting the Force so no he didnt negate any "Phoenix energy".

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by GalacticStorm
Rachel isnt currently hosting the Force so no he didnt negate any "Phoenix energy".

She has a fragment doesn't she, hence the Phoenix Symbol that kept appearing during the Shiar attack and the Phoenix mark that keeps appearing on her face.

stickman618
i think that night-crawler and Rachel look weird in this series

my fav. drawings of them are in uncanny x-men 469-471

GalacticStorm
She has a fragment doesn't she, hence the Phoenix Symbol that kept appearing during the Shiar attack and the Phoenix mark that keeps appearing on her face.

Nope. The Phoenix mark and firebird is just a physical manifestation of her powers. Jean used to have the same thing even when she wasnt serving as an avatar for the Force. Its in the Grey genetics to be a Phoenix however the Force doesnt currently reside within her, she has just her standard tp/tk chronoskimmin abilities.

ExodusCloak
You mean this? She may not have the Phoenix Force but she does have a Phoenix Fragment...heck everyone seems to have them these days...Jean's Phoenix conscience used to have that black speech bubble...Rachel had a normal one and a red one but now she has a black one.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/4138/uncannyxmen4520019dd8.th.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1066/uncannyxmen4520021ch7.th.jpg

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7360/uncannyxmen47130vq3.th.jpg

stickman618
how did she get rid of the tatoo on her face?

GalacticStorm
You mean this? She may not have the Phoenix Force but she does have a Phoenix Fragment...heck everyone seems to have them these days...Jean's Phoenix conscience used to have that black speech bubble...Rachel had a normal one and a red one but now she has a black one.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/4138/uncannyxmen4520019dd8.th.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1066/uncannyxmen4520021ch7.th.jpg

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7360/uncannyxmen47130vq3.th.jpg

Rachel just like Jean has in recent years always manifests her powers in that fashion, its just her energy signature. She is after all a Phoenix. She is not however currently a Phoenix host, therefore she does not possess a Phoenix fragment. As stated in Cable issues 83 to 84, the Force abandoned Rachel.

ExodusCloak
Rachel just like Jean has in recent years always manifests her powers in that fashion, its just her energy signature. She is after all a Phoenix. She is not however currently a Phoenix host, therefore she does not possess a Phoenix fragment. As stated in Cable issues 83 to 84, the Force abandoned Rachel.

Not everything Cable says is entirely true. She may have lost the PF but so far she's demonstrated Phoenix-Like Qualities which includes the Black Bubble. Heck like you said she is a Phoenix and like you've said before there's is only One Phoenix Force. And shouldn't she possess a fragment if she's a Phoenix?
Heck even Emma Frost supposedly possesses a fragment after the Force was ripped from her body. even the Cuckoos possess a fragment and they aren't anything uber yet.
And according to the that newish Shiar Arc she's showing signs of getting it back. And this is what the Shiar feared.

GalacticStorm
Not everything Cable says is entirely true. She may have lost the PF but so far she's demonstrated Phoenix-Like Qualities which includes the Black Bubble. Heck like you said she is a Phoenix and like you've said before there's is only One Phoenix Force. And shouldn't she possess a fragment if she's a Phoenix?
Heck even Emma Frost supposedly possesses a fragment after the Force was ripped from her body. even the Cuckoos possess a fragment and they aren't anything uber yet.
And according to the that newish Shiar Arc she's showing signs of getting it back. And this is what the Shiar feared.

Rachel no longer possesses the Phoenix Force. She is genetically a Phoenix she has the potential to serve as a host however she is only empowered by the Force as and when it decides she is required to perform her Phoenix duties.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/8/21709395363.jpg&s=f10

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/8/21709404580.jpg&s=f10

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/8/21709475482.jpg&s=f10

If Rachel herself states that she no longer has the Phoenix power then no offence but you are in no position to say otherwise. Rachel merely having a Phoenix energy signature is insuffcient evidence for you to speculate when Rachel and her mother both manifest this signature at points when it is made quite clear that they dont possess the Force. It is just an energy signature representative of their heritage. They have the geneteic potential to be hosts for the power, however when they are hosts for the power is up to the Force.

ExodusCloak

Face
The Shi'ar story starts in Uncanny x-men 475 its looking pretty cool there must be 12 parts or something

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g74/Vloco/UNCX475cvrcol.jpg

stickman618
it DOES say "part 1 of 12"

GalacticStorm

ExodusCloak
Youre speculating here EC. Rachel has said on panel that she no longer possesses the Phoenix Force. She states that and says she only has her basic tp/tk. Rachel has been demonstrated on panel only possessing said abilities. Both Racel and her mother as Phoenixes manifest their powers in the bird like energy signature, however they both do not have Phoenix powers unless they are required to perform their duties. Until such times as it is announced on panel that Rachel has got her Phoenix powers back and she is shown performing feats in kind then you are totally unjustified in stating that she possesses a Phoenix fragment or that she has access to Phoenix powers. That is the crux of the matter.

Emma or the Cuckoos apparrently having Phoenix fragments has nothing whatsoever to do with this discussion so i dont know why you keep bringing it up. In that situation you actually saw parts of the Force approaching them, with the Rachel situation regardless of the fact that its canon that the Force abandoned her in Cable #84 youre assuming she has a fragment because of the appearance of her energy signature. Not good enough. Inconclusive. Just how her powers manifest themselves.

I never said she had the Phoenix Force just a fragment but fair enough, that feat however where she overextended her powers while trying to protect the protect the city from the Shiar attack caused her to tap into "something" which ignited the black bubble. And the black bubble has always symbolized the Phoenix conciousness. Manifesting her energy signal as a firey bird and a Phoenix tattoo as part of her mutation is understandable but the black bubble is a completely different issue.

Again she may have not have the Force but her being able to utilize that black bubble does imply a lot.

But again, fair enough. I believe the next issue of Uncanny will have her more involved in the story, and by the end of the arc she'd have made their worst fears come true.

BTW The Emma thing was to prove that you can have the Force ripped out of you and still possess a fragment.

stickman618
Xavier is BALD PHOENIX big grin

Darth Vicious
Rachels Info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Summers

stickman618
i finally got my hands on the third installment of this series big grin

i think its great

and, no offense to Billy Tan, but thank God they fixed their hairstyles

am i right??

stickman618
Vulcan vs. Phoenix

now that would be cool

i hope this happens in "the rise and fall of the shi'ar empire"

Rachel grey can bond with phoenix force right?

GalacticStorm
Vulcan vs. Phoenix

now that would be cool

i hope this happens in "the rise and fall of the shi'ar empire"

Rachel grey can bond with phoenix force right?

Yeah. Rachel is a Phoenix. Its a mutation that allows her to host the Phoenix power when the Force decides it needs her. She isnt currently serving as a host though so its just standard tp/tk at the moment.

ExodusCloak
Yeah. Rachel is a Phoenix. Its a mutation that allows her to host the Phoenix power when the Force decides it needs her. She isnt currently serving as a host though so its just standard tp/tk at the moment.

GS, did you check out the whole Sword of the Phoenix thing yet? What do you think it is?

GalacticStorm
GS, did you check out the whole Sword of the Phoenix thing yet? What do you think it is?

Well we'll find out soon.

Rachel is a Phoenix by genetics but she isnt always host to the Forces power. She has it as and when it needs her.

ExodusCloak
Well we'll find out soon.

The Shiar are insane enough to give it to some ruthless alien(Whose entire species is extinct)

IMO It's most probably a weapon that's suppose to be used against the Phoenix...but...Rachel will probably end up weilding it..then go mad...and join her uncle eventually which would suck....then after a while Darwin saves the day...

I also believe UXM #181 will clear up whether or not Rachel is or isn't manifesting part of the Phoenix Force..

BTW What did you think of Warsong...I thought it was average....better then Endsong though..

GalacticStorm
The Shiar are insane enough to give it to some ruthless alien(Whose entire species is extinct)

IMO It's most probably a weapon that's suppose to be used against the Phoenix...but...Rachel will probably end up weilding it..then go mad...and join her uncle eventually which would suck....then after a while Darwin saves the day...

I also believe UXM #181 will clear up whether or not Rachel is or isn't manifesting part of the Phoenix Force..

BTW What did you think of Warsong...I thought it was average....better then Endsong though..

Youre right, that would suck. What would be great is an all out battle between Vulcan and Rachel. I would luv that!!

Yeah i thought Warsong was average. I hope it picks up because i loved Grant M's interpretation of Phoenix and this supposedly explores that.

I thought the first issue of Endsong was better than this first Warsong issue though.

ExodusCloak
Youre right, that would suck. What would be great is an all out battle between Vulcan and Rachel. I would luv that!!

Yeah i thought Warsong was average. I hope it picks up because i loved Grant M's interpretation of Phoenix and this supposedly explores that.

I thought the first issue of Endsong was better than this first Warsong issue though.

There was a preview which a user scanned that suggested Rachel was going to switch sides....
I doubt they'll be a major fight between Rachel and him...but if there was one...you know who I'll be routing for....Darwin seems like he'll save the day....did you see the cover for UXM #180 yet?

Endsong started of good..it got worse by the issue....Warsong was predictable...the only thing that caught my attention was the part when the Cuckoos were seperated....

Weapon X...planted the Cuckoos in Emma's care....and like the Cuckoos they are...they bit off the Warblers head...

IMO It's not exactly about Jean...so it should be a better story...no offense...I prefer her dead..or shattered...they should give her, her own cosmic series..

GalacticStorm
If youve got the cover i wouldnt mind seeing it. smile

ExodusCloak
It sparked quite a lot of controversy around the forums...

http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/1106/UNCXM480.jpg

stickman618
why do you guys say UXM#180?

don't you mean UXM#480?

ExodusCloak
Who wants to bet that he'll get his powers back?

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/covers/previews/2006/December/uncanny481.jpg

eternitygoddess
On Uncannyxmen.net there was an interview that featured the writer/editor of the series and he said that Rachel will show Phoenix-related...things but she will not be a Phoenix. He stated that she's powerful enough already without the force.

eternitygoddess

ExodusCloak
What that could mean is that she won't have the entire PF with her...but that doesn't mean she doesn't have a fragment....

GalacticStorm
What that could mean is that she won't have the entire PF with her...but that doesn't mean she doesn't have a fragment....

But then you cant say she does have a fragment because thats unsupported speculation based merely on her standalone mutant powers manifesting the Phoenix insignia, something she does merely because she is a Phoenix. But becaus eshe is a Phoenix it doesnt mean that she always possesses the Forces powers, it just means that she has the potential to serve as a host at a time designated by the Consciousness.

ExodusCloak
But then you cant say she does have a fragment because thats unsupported speculation based merely on her standalone mutant powers manifesting the Phoenix insignia, something she does merely because she is a Phoenix. But becaus eshe is a Phoenix it doesnt mean that she always possesses the Forces powers, it just means that she has the potential to serve as a host at a time designated by the Consciousness.

I'm not saying she does...all I'm saying is that it's a possibility especially when we've seen her talk with the black speech bubbles...and only people who have part of the Phoenix force has shown this trait.....it should all be cleared up in the next issue...with the sword of the phoenix...

GalacticStorm
I'm not saying she does...all I'm saying is that it's a possibility especially when we've seen her talk with the black speech bubbles...and only people who have part of the Phoenix force has shown this trait.....it should all be cleared up in the next issue...with the sword of the phoenix...

Jean did it when she didnt possess a fragment according to continuity so thats not right. However im not sure that issue will reveal what you want it to as writers make it clear that the Phoenix isnt returning to Rachel anytime soon. Shes A Phoenix. That in no way means she possesses the Phoenix Force.

ExodusCloak
Jean did it when she didnt possess a fragment according to continuity so thats not right. However im not sure that issue will reveal what you want it to as writers make it clear that the Phoenix isnt returning to Rachel anytime soon. Shes A Phoenix. That in no way means she possesses the Phoenix Force.

When was this? Jean is the PF...so wouldn't she always possess it as of continuity?
Emma and the Cuckoos have used the Phoenix consciousness when they were possessed a fragment of it...the next issue might explain the role of the Sword of the Phoenix....for example maybe it does something to Phoenix Energy..i.e. Inhibits it...so we might get something out of it...

I mean the Shiar seem to think killing Rachel the normal way won't cut it(They go and get a special weapon to do the job)...so there has to be something about her....

GalacticStorm
When was this? Jean is the PF...so wouldn't she always possess it as of continuity?
Emma and the Cuckoos have used the Phoenix consciousness when they were possessed a fragment of it...the next issue might explain the role of the Sword of the Phoenix....for example maybe it does something to Phoenix Energy..i.e. Inhibits it...so we might get something out of it...

I mean the Shiar seem to think killing Rachel the normal way won't cut it(They go and get a special weapon to do the job)...so there has to be something about her....

Continuity has changed in recent years. When Jean was manifesting her powers in the firebird shape 6 years ago the 86 retcon was in place where Jean was NOT the Force, just someone the Force impersonated in the past and had a fondness for.

The rest of your post is speculation, but yeah we'll see what happens in Uncanny, although i really dont think its going to reveal what you want it to! wink

ExodusCloak
UXM #479 Preview

http://www.popcultureshock.com/index.php?p=40394

Early So Mike, Josh and I hung out today and went by the comic shop and looked at next week's Uncanny. I didn't notice any Jean mentionings at all, but it is Phoenix related, so...

So, the Shi'Ar dude Korvus is a descedant of a man who was once the Phoenix and all that (I'm sorry...is it me, or is everyone/has everyone been the Phoenix?) so he has and can use the Blade of the Phoenix, which through some miracle of retcon, is imbued with the smallest fraction of the Phoenix Force. He plans to use it against Rachel and destroy her. As Josh pointed out, if such a thing had always existed, why did they never use it against Jean?

At any rate, Rachel and Xavier have a little fight because she feels that he is only using her since he doesnt have his powers anymore, and wants her to get better and control it and all of this. She talks about feeling 'them' out there, watching her; the same ones that killed her family and gave her that mark on her back. It glows gold when she talks about it.

At any rate, some other stuff happens that I don't remember and Korvus finds and attacks Rachel. He slams the blade down on her and the Phoenix inside of it and inside of her link together and they share memories. They realize the two of them are very similar, both having had their entire families destroyed by the Shi'Ar due to being in the line of the Phoenix, all save themselves, all the horrors they've endured, et cetera. He asks her what she is doing and she says it is the Blade, not her.

When the psychic thingy is over, the blade loses what it had inside it and it joins with Rachel. Korvus says she took it, but she says that it took her. She was touched by the Phoenix, and she says that it remembers her and likes her. Her eye symbol and back begin to glow blue like the blade did instead of gold, and she is now one with this smallest fraction of the Phoenix Force.

So yeah. I don't see why they don't just call her Phoenix since she apparently has it now. And don't give me that "its just a fraction of it" stuff, either. A fraction of infinity is still infinity, correct? I don't like it, but some of you may jump for joy over it. But that's how it goes.

Thoughts?

eternitygoddess
^I am confused.

So the blade of the Phoenix is some energy sword that kills Phoenix or something?

And since when did descendants of Phoenixes possess a fragment of teh Phoenix?

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by eternitygoddess
^I am confused.

So the blade of the Phoenix is some energy sword that kills Phoenix or something?

And since when did descendants of Phoenixes possess a fragment of teh Phoenix?

Not exactly...the blade was owned by a Shiar person....who was once the Phoenix...the blade contains a fragment of the PF..and the blade can only be weilded by Phoenixes or people with the same bloodline as a Phoenix...

stickman618
arggggggggg!!!!!!!

i'm so lost

comics must come out late in the philippines

pr1983
Just read the last one... i dunno... i think i'll drop it after this arc... warpath and darwin had the potential to be great... i just dont see it happening, and to be honest im sick and tired of uber mutants in marvel...

i hope gladiator gets his hands on vulcan and f*cks him up, so to speak... erm

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by pr1983
Just read the last one... i dunno... i think i'll drop it after this arc... warpath and darwin had the potential to be great... i just dont see it happening, and to be honest im sick and tired of uber mutants in marvel...

i hope gladiator gets his hands on vulcan and f*cks him up, so to speak... erm

Couldn't agree with you more with the first bit...I hope Rachel Grey dies....a horrible death....

As for the second part of your post....I predict Kallark and the rest of the Imperial Guard go down in 10 panels... stick out tongue

pr1983
You would... stick out tongue

stickman618
i personally don't like the whole idea that men can bond with the phonix

the phoenix force is female after all

ExodusCloak
You would... stick out tongue

Heh...just remember I predicted it... big grin

pr1983
Heh...just remember I predicted it... big grin

and you've undoubtedly seen the preview image of vulcan choking glads... whistle

ExodusCloak
and you've undoubtedly seen the preview image of vulcan choking glads... whistle

Course I haven't shifty...okay fine...I still predict the 10 panel thing....

And I'm also guessing the Imperial Guard are going to be humiliated....more so then ever.... stick out tongue

pr1983
Course I haven't shifty...okay fine...I still predict the 10 panel thing....

And I'm also guessing the Imperial Guard are going to be humiliated....more so then ever.... stick out tongue

i never liked gladiator, in fact, i pretty much despise him, vulcan is slowly catching up...

gone were the days when x-men didnt need uber characters to carry a story...

ExodusCloak
i never liked gladiator, in fact, i pretty much despise him, vulcan is slowly catching up...

gone were the days when x-men didnt need uber characters to carry a story...

Exactly...except I don't think Brubaker or Carey understand that concept....niether does Claremont...who suprise is still on their pay roll...

pr1983
yeah... the only one who seems to have any understanding is whedon, and even he has had danger and ord, though both had their asses handed to them eventually by x-men...

tis a worrying trend... and as for marvel's payroll, marvel is the manchester united of the comic world, always in it for the money, not for the craft...

ExodusCloak
yeah... the only one who seems to have any understanding is whedon, and even he has had danger and ord, though both had their asses handed to them eventually by x-men...

tis a worrying trend... and as for marvel's payroll, marvel is the manchester united of the comic world, always in it for the money, not for the craft...

Heh...who do you support? Hopefully not Liverpool..

pr1983
I actually support man u, i'm just pissed off with them hoarding all their money and not spending it where they should (i.e. world class players), but still whoring themselves out all over the world just so they can be richer and richer...

we could learn some things from abramovitch...

stickman618
what issue d'ya reckon the x-men and vulcan will meet?

pr1983
within the next four or five hopefully...

stickman618
i just want vulcan to take on the phoenix and get his but kicked

and i mean rachel serving as an actual host

not just with a fragment

oohhhhhhhh........ and with blue flame rock

ExodusCloak
uxm #483 COVER

http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/745/745593/marvel-in-february-20061113032710627.jpg

pr1983
Alrighty... so what, he's the shiar ruler now? Yippedeefrickindoo... messed

stickman618
how long has it been since deathbird was in the comics?

ExodusCloak
Anyone read UXM yet? Rachel got a new costume...

pr1983
i read it, and to be honest, im so dropping this after this arc... im really starting to hate the line-up, the writing and the art...

i like darwin though, his power as a concept seems rather cheap, but on execution i think its kinda cool...

ExodusCloak
i read it, and to be honest, im so dropping this after this arc... im really starting to hate the line-up, the writing and the art...

i like darwin though, his power as a concept seems rather cheap, but on execution i think its kinda cool...

I have to agree with you there...it just seems like another space jouney...the Vulcan issues have been far more entertaining though.

Is it me or does that Korvus guy share quite the resemblance to Wolverine?

pr1983
he does quite a bit... and he's into a grey... what a surprise...

ExodusCloak
Okay...after finally reading the latest issue of UXM...I officially hate Gabriel...the character offers me nothing...I have no idea how this happened I was practically infactuated with him in Deadly Genesis. The UXM story itself is going no where...and that scene with Grandma Deathbird is just gross. Now I'm going to have to change my sig... sad

I hope Gladiator plucks out his other eye.

Oh well at least I have my Emma Frost. I learnt my lesson...l'l' take character development over power any day .

pr1983
I'll just put what i wrote in the 'comic of the month' thread...

Uncanny X-Men #483 - So... Vulcan. would be conqueror of the shiar empire... the man who almost took down the entire imperial guard single handed... is pussy-whipped... wow... is it me or is that just a crock of shit... and deathbird sure loves her mutants doesnt she...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.