Wisdom

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xmarksthespot
I've been thinking. I know, what a silly thing to do. Anyway...

Webster's defines wisdom as follows:
Main Entry: wis·dom
Pronunciation: 'wiz-d&m
Function: noun
1 a : accumulated philosophic or scientific learning : KNOWLEDGE b : ability to discern inner qualities and relationships : INSIGHT c : good sense : JUDGMENT d : generally accepted belief <challenges what has become accepted wisdom among many historians -- Robert Darnton>
2 : a wise attitude, belief, or course of action
3 : the teachings of the ancient wise men

Do you consider yourself "wise"? And what do you think has enabled you to achieve this? What do you believe the word "wisdom" encompasses? And how much do you believe age and wisdom are intrinsically linked?

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by xmarksthespot

Do you consider yourself "wise"? And what do you think has enabled you to achieve this? What do you believe the word "wisdom" encompasses? And how much do you believe age and wisdom are intrinsically linked?

I think the word "wise" is relative. Depending on the context it can refer to a specific field, but usually it refers to life in general.

Age and wisdom are obviously linked; a 70-year-old knows far more about life than a 20-year-old.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I think the word "wise" is relative. Depending on the context it can refer to a specific field, but usually it refers to life in general.

Age and wisdom are obviously linked; a 70-year-old knows far more about life than a 20-year-old.

Not necessarily a 70 year old might have drawn the wrong conclusions from the day he was born, while the 20 year old perceived and understood everything he experienced so far accurately.

Great Vengeance
Most of the time, age and wisdom are linked...yes. Also intelligence and wisdom is linked.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Great Vengeance
Most of the time, age and wisdom are linked...yes. Also intelligence and wisdom is linked.

I guess I can agree with both. But if you just go by age you will not be able to determine the wisdom of a person. That is just to simple.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Bardock42
Not necessarily a 70 year old might have drawn the wrong conclusions from the day he was born, while the 20 year old perceived and understood everything he experienced so far accurately.

I'm talking about general life experiences, like growing up, marriage, kids, losing your parents, your best freind dying, etc....

Not opinons.

Deus Venčficus
The only thing I know about wisdom, is that I am not wise.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6797/sign7bz.png

Quiero Mota

xmarksthespot
I'm talking about general life experiences, like growing up, marriage, kids, losing your parents, your best freind dying, etc....

Not opinons. One does not need to be 70 to experience all those things. And one being 70 would not imply having learned from any of them.

Quiero Mota
One does not need to be 70 to experience all those things. And one being 70 would not imply having learned from any of them.

The mere fact that he has been on the planet so long, makes him wise.

debbiejo
An old saying to be wise in ones own eyes is is not wisdom at all......Wisdom can be perceived by others. Trying to do the wise things with all the knowledge you can encompass along with experiences and age helps, but there are always exceptions....There are some pretty stupid 70 year old and some pretty wise 9 year olds........And some people never learn from their mistakes...Some can't control their temper and let it thread through their lives making decisions distorted and not properly thought through......Wisdom is hard to explain.

xmarksthespot
The mere fact that he has been on the planet so long, makes him wise. Cum hoc ergo propter hoc

Bardock42
Ohhh....look how he pwns with his Latin...

Where are you from by the way? You may PM me in case you don't want to admit it publicly...you DO have to answer me though,

xmarksthespot
Ohhh....look how he pwns with his Latin...

Where are you from by the way? You may PM me in case you don't want to admit it publicly...you DO have to answer me though, Latin is but one of my varied and many talents. I live in New Zealand, a small country at the edge of the world which no one cares about, German swine!

Bardock42
Latin is but one of my varied and many talents. I live in New Zealand, a small country at the edge of the world which no one cares about, German swine!

Latin is one of the many talents I tried to acquire but failed horribly....and you live on the other side of the freaking world. What the hell...stop that.

Imperial_Samura

I don't think wisdom need inevitably be linked to age. Nor knowledge. In fact I believe that wisdom and knowledge/intelligence can be exclusive - having one does not automatically equal having the other. Just because one is old does not in fact equal one being wise.

I believe concepts of wisdom to be a relative commodity, but I often equate wisdom, in its basest form, to knowing what to do with ones knowledge, and secondly to actually understanding what it is one knows. I always like Socrates quite on the subject:

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

A person doesn't have to be smart to be wise, or old - a wise person is a person who possesses the ability and faculties of very good common sense, judgement and foresight, as well as understanding the benefits of action, as well as inaction, and ones own limitations.

Am I wise? I don't know if I am qualified to make that claim, I certainly seek to be.

Correlation implies causation? How very true.

I care about New Zealand, all I can say is " Go the All Blacks!"

xmarksthespot
Yeh, but you're Australian aren't you? I think that legally invalidates your opinion stick out tongue.

Bardock42
Yeh, but you're Australian aren't you? I think that legally invalidates your opinion stick out tongue.

Man, that sucks, I want an invalid opinion as well.

xmarksthespot
We all want what we can't have. Your opinion is valid... too valid.. it's validity could implode the universe. You should really stop having opinions it's dangerous.

Bardock42
We all want what we can't have. Your opinion is valid... too valid.. it's validity could implode the universe. You should really stop having opinions it's dangerous.

Will it kill me? Like Cancer? Or AIDS? Or George Bush?

xmarksthespot
Will it kill me? Like Cancer? Or AIDS? Or George Bush? Yes. No. No. And yes. It will kill you like George Bush... slowly... cackling Yeehaw while firing pistols at the ground and dancing a jig. It will then go on to sexually assault your Chancellor.

PVS
The mere fact that he has been on the planet so long, makes him wise.

no, it just makes him old....relatively as i'm sure a 90 year old man would disagree. whether or not he is truly wise has nothing to do with his age.

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
no, it just makes him old....relatively as i'm sure a 90 year old man would disagree. whether or not he is truly wise has nothing to do with his age.

I think it has some sort of something to do with something though.

debbiejo
Latin is one of the many talents I tried to acquire but failed horribly....and you live on the other side of the freaking world. What the hell...stop that.

en vino veritas!! ..........wine......Sure might not make you wise, but

Tha C-Master
Intelligence and wisdom aren't always related. Intelligence is like the sponge, and knowlege is like the water you've accumulated over time. Wisdom is how you use that water.

Imperial_Samura
Man, that sucks, I want an invalid opinion as well.

Yeah. You be envious of my invalid opinion. Look how it shines and glistens in the light!

Am I the only one that has noticed that being wise is somewhat, in terms of attitude, like being humble? As in it is better to be perceived as such (through your actions people can say "he is wise" or "he is humble"wink or claim to be trying to be such, rather then to just come out and say "I am wise" or "I am humble" - doing so lessens the validity of the claim in the eyes of people.

debbiejo
IMO........Wisdom could be something born with, cause many don't have it, yet can be very intelligent........odd, eh?..........intelligent people without wisdom or even common sense.

Soleran
Originally posted by debbiejo
IMO........Wisdom could be something born with, cause many don't have it, yet can be very intelligent........odd, eh?..........intelligent people without wisdom or even common sense.

huh? confused

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by debbiejo

Not so wrong. In fact I would say, in stereotypical terms, an extremely smart/powerful person can be portrayed/seem less wise due to arrogance, pride and certainty in their own actions due to their great levels of intelligence/power.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Soleran
huh? confused whistle

Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Not so wrong. In fact I would say, in stereotypical terms, an extremely smart/powerful person can be portrayed/seem less wise due to arrogance, pride and certainty in their own actions due to their great levels of intelligence/power. Yes, it seems to me that age sometimes doesn't matter......wisdom comes in may ages..........maybe some of it is in the genes....

cking
true, wisdom doesn't matter with age. you developed wisdom through experience of whatever you experienced in life. wisdom is a developing part of life, it takes time to even have such a small amount.

debbiejo
I believe (at this moment) that wisdom is in ones heart..........It's a knowing.......some can understand earlier than others............and some don't even grasp it................these type of people are more self gratifying than others, and miss out on the learning of it...............Wisdom cannot be stereo typed............It comes to different people of different ages...........It's your view on the whole perspective of life and what it encompasses that helps with wisdom....

redcaped
There is no science or physics, just us. Be wise, get to know yourself.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.