E3 Cancelled... for good?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

§P0oONY
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/30/e3-canceled-for-next-year-and-beyond/

Any thoughts guys? I'm not sure if this is 100% true... I've not seen joystiq wrong that often though, here's hoping it's false.

Draco69
It's true. And it's not surprising. High costs with very low revenue. They get little media attention and profit for sustaining a huge event.

Oh well. We still have gametrailers.com.

El_NINO
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6154897.html

Ya its official, E3 is no more mainly because the ESA says they dont make loads of money from those 3 days. I mean all they have to do is allow the general public to pay lets say $60 to get in and they would make a whole lot more.

Lana
I've seen that on a few sites...and yeah, it really sucks. Open it to the public and they'd make tons of money.

SpadeKing
noooooooooooo I still never got to go to E3 cry

Blaxican Hydra
*Points and laughs at Spadeking* no expression

SpadeKing
crybaby

LanceWindu
It's not cancelled. People don't have their facts straight. Aother site (don't have the URL at the moment) found out that E3 is NOT cancelled, but it's being scaled down a lot so publishers can spread their money out on multiple game conventions and not have such extravagant booths at E3.

Blaxican Hydra
Poor Spade, it seems that by E3 closing down

http://www.myspacepranks.com/Myspace-Codes-Animations/myspace-codes-animations-69.gif

Lana
Maybe then the proper info should actually be officially released?

I still say that if they think they're not bringing enough money in, they should open it to the public. Solve lots of problems with that.

Impediment
Cut down on the extravagancies, and maybe open it to a limited amount of public, like sell tickets of a limited quantity, and it'll do loads better, IMO.

Draco69
Originally posted by LanceWindu
It's not cancelled. People don't have their facts straight. Aother site (don't have the URL at the moment) found out that E3 is NOT cancelled, but it's being scaled down a lot so publishers can spread their money out on multiple game conventions and not have such extravagant booths at E3.

Translation: E3 - Flea Market Style.

H. S. 6
Why not downsize it, and open it to the public, for the price of admission?

§P0oONY
Opening to the public wouldn't work, it'd sell out in minutes meaning people who actually were in the trade couldn't get in, rendering it useless for the developers and such.

§P0oONY
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/31/e3-killed-reborn-as-new-e3expo/

My sister just sent me this link.

Lana

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Lana
Seperate tickets.

One admission level for the general public, one for developers.

Lots of conventions do that sort of thing.

Yeah, but with the sheer number of people that go, I can't see that working.

Lana

§P0oONY
If you set a limit on the number of admissions available, it would.

But the whole purpose of the show is for developers and such to show off and sell their product to big gaming corporations and the media, setting a limit of admissions available to the possible buyers; so the general public can attend will not benefit the people who are actually setting up booths.

LanceWindu

Lana

§P0oONY
I meant set a limited amount for the general public.
Either way I believe that it would effect the number of "game industry professionals" that could attend.

H. S. 6

§P0oONY
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Not if it was done intelligently.

As Lana said, many conventions do something along those lines; I'm sure it'd be incredibly easy for E3 (considering the number of civillians willing to fork up a load of cash to get in, I would assume it could make quite a bit of cash from the general public only).
A lot of convention's do, the thing is a lot of convention's are no way near as big. E3 is full with people every year, so opening it to the public in anyway is going to result in a diminished amount of people who are actually there for the reasons the expo is run.

H. S. 6

Lana

BackFire
Keep in mind that the new E3 may be held in a smaller venue, most likely not the huge LA Convention Center that it's usually been held in.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Hence the reason I said E3 needs to downsize.

If they focus more on the major companies, they'll be able to allow civillians in for a price (a hefty one, at that).

No, I really don't think it will.

I go to conventions, as of this year I work at them. The only thing that really dictates how many people can attend is the space available. E3 gets about 60,000 attendees, I think the one article said. Even if they were to have 10,000 tickets available for the general public, that would generate a lot of money - just by the admission alone, and that's not even taking into account how much they'd make from vendors, deals with local hotels, etc.

Meh, whatever, it's all pretty irrelevant anyway, as they are most probably downsizing.

WrathfulDwarf
This just doesn't make any sense. Why minimize the event with all the hype and publicity it's been getting during the past three years? Video Gaming is a huge market. E3 basically generates tons of publicity for video game developers.

Draco69
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
This just doesn't make any sense. Why minimize the event with all the hype and publicity it's been getting during the past three years? Video Gaming is a huge market. E3 basically generates tons of publicity for video game developers.

But it doesn't make any money for itself. The event costs millions to host and plan. And the revenue made simply isn't profitable.

If they started charging for it like in a movie theater...

woody82
E3 is great io've been once, and it would be a shame if it went, but hey theres other gaming conventions to go to.

Ushgarak
It's simply not worth the money that is chucked at it, that's all.

Nactous
Originally posted by Ushgarak
It's simply not worth the money that is chucked at it, that's all.
Maybee.....

SaTsuJiN
lol.. well they 'were' getting too involved with making extravagant booths rather than focusing on the content they were bringing to the table.... so heres hoping that they start focusing on the right things from now on

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Draco69
But it doesn't make any money for itself. The event costs millions to host and plan. And the revenue made simply isn't profitable.

If they started charging for it like in a movie theater...

I can see the revenue issue been a problem. I think G4 jinx them with their coverage.

Kayne Archeron
why would they cancel E3, especially after the huge turnout this year? there's no way they didn't make enough money this year

JKozzy
It's not cancelled. People don't have their facts straight. Aother site (don't have the URL at the moment) found out that E3 is NOT cancelled, but it's being scaled down a lot so publishers can spread their money out on multiple game conventions and not have such extravagant booths at E3. Thank you for reading the articles.

Smasandian
Other reason is downsizing is because developers and publishers are spending millions of dollars to go to E3. Costs of sending thier employees to LA (remember alot of them are not from America), hotel costs, food costs, transportation costs for their stands, the cost of renting out space for thier exhibitions and the cost of putting together all those TV's and fancy stuff they have in thier booths. That's all the company paying for that, and not the conference people. No matter how many tickets they could sell, they wont cover everybodies cost.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by JKozzy
Thank you for reading the articles.

I can't tell, is that sarcasm or no? ninja

El_NINO
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6155038.html?tag=topslot;action;2

Gamespot has responses from around the gamming community about E3 being downsized.

JKozzy
I can't tell, is that sarcasm or no? ninja It isn't, E3 is being downsized dramatically, not cancelled. Some people don't understand that.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Kayne Archeron
why would they cancel E3, especially after the huge turnout this year? there's no way they didn't make enough money this year

But the games makers don't see it!

It's not necessarily the event that is annoyed about the money, it is the games publishers. They don't think that the publicity they get from the event is worth the amount of money they have to put into it!

woody82
Well the publicity if its good then when teh game comes out or consol it should sell more copies. Eg Star Wars KOTOR had the ratings off E3 best rpg, and so did JAde Empire and they sold and did great, also mass effect looked awesome and got best RPG.

Ushgarak
No, again, they don't think they are getting a good enough return. They think they would get more publicity spending the money their own way. E3, so they seem to be saying, is not giving publicity worth the amount of money they pay.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.