Superman Struggling

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

GODOFALL1
Why is this movie struggling at the box office? It's bombing as a matter of fact. Why? I thought it was awesome. AND SUPERMAN 3D WAS AMAZING! Why is it struggling?

Galvaclaw
I have no idea. It's got favourable review from movie critics. It's an excellant film. I reason the general public are idiots.

pr1983
I just don't get why people were so convinced it was going to make so much money... erm

redcaped
Here's the answer...people hate strong people

MattDay
or descent people who, the idea of them, is to help them and save them, they'd rather have someone who kicks the crap outta them... weird huh? yea i know!

RUNMAN
The movie was so hyped and it just failed to deliver.

MattDay
well it did have pirates, a heavy weight movie messing up superman's introduction into film again, it was a combination of stuff that pushed supermans returns (excuse the pun) into a dark hole, although its showing its got the legs to *possibly* surpass batman begins domestic income. when you directly compare how much money they got and cross reference it with the dates after, it shows superman is a couple of mil over batman every week so far... lets hope it does because then it passes this so called "200 mil" bracket for a sequel. (the reason it has to pass 200 mil really is because excluding falied attempts costs, this film is at 200 mil budget, then add the failed attempt costs and its 260 mil, they wanted the film to pay for the failed attempts...) warner bro's im disappointed in you for making the film having to pay for stuff it didnt really have much to do with other than the name.

well now you know what's happened, might happen and why

Scarlet_Spidey
I thought it was excellent although :

- it took about one hour too long
- i didn't enjoy brandon routh's plastic charm
- kate bosworth looks way to young and relaxed to play Lois
- brandon looks so much like reeves it scares the sh*t out of me
- the beginning was thesame as the first movie, making it feel like a remake
- brandon routh wearing high heels was pretty darn messed up
- bryan singer's ego (he was pronnounced three times in the movie as the director; TWO times in the beginning and once in the end)

olympian
Fear the box office force of the Carabbean Pirates.

HAR!

pr1983
Originally posted by redcaped
Here's the answer...people hate strong people

Originally posted by MattDay
or descent people who, the idea of them, is to help them and save them, they'd rather have someone who kicks the crap outta them... weird huh? yea i know!

i really don't think its that big a factor...

and if the movie hadnt cost so much to make, then it'd be doing well... but its insanely huge budget is costing fox big time now...

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by RUNMAN
The movie was so hyped and it just failed to deliver.

Exactly.

chase el
Originally posted by GODOFALL1
Why is this movie struggling at the box office? It's bombing as a matter of fact. Why? I thought it was awesome. AND SUPERMAN 3D WAS AMAZING! Why is it struggling?

who says its doing bad

its sold more than batman... that was a box office success.

its a GREAT movie. why ponder questions like "why isnt it doing better". Pirates came out, very poor choice on the release date, end of summer would have been nice.

Superman Returns was a success

redcaped
people don't live for superman but I do

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by chase el
who says its doing bad

its sold more than batman... that was a box office success.

its a GREAT movie. why ponder questions like "why isnt it doing better". Pirates came out, very poor choice on the release date, end of summer would have been nice.

Superman Returns was a success

Ask WB if they think it was a success. It's still not at $200 million domestically and the film's total pricetag was $260 mil, not counting the marketing campaign--add another $40 mil. Studio take from box office sales is roughly 50-60%. Translation--film is still way behind. DVD sales will have to do well for it to break even.

Batman Begins didn't have anywhere close to Superman Returns' price tag. It was a financial success. Plus, it was a brilliantly written, brilliantly directed movie. One of my best friends is in film production in Hollywood. Although not a super high-up, he does have access to insider information. He tells me that WB has been slitting their wrists over the underwhelming performance of Superman. In their eyes, it was a failure. If there's a sequel, it will have a drastically reduced budget. Singer may or may not get to shoot it.

redcaped
Do people really care? Are we responsible for others? It always works that way! Things have to change to ensure Things.

.Dance_Inside.
who really cares about the box office, if you like it thats all that matters..

pr1983
Do people really care? Are we responsible for others? It always works that way! Things have to change to ensure Things.

Originally posted by .Dance_Inside.
who really cares about the box office, if you like it thats all that matters..

it does matter what fox thinks and how well this movie does at the box office...

because without fox's backing or some more profits, there'll be no sequel...

chase el

i agree..?

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by pr1983
and if the movie hadnt cost so much to make, then it'd be doing well... but its insanely huge budget is costing fox big time now... Warner Brothers. Which has actually had a bad summer in general in terms of B.O. Poseidon was a flop, Lady in the Water was a flop, Ant Bully looks like it's doing crap. SR was supposed to be its summer tentpole and the B.O. is disappointing to say the least.

Meanwhile Fox has had a mixed but overall financially successful summer.

pr1983
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Warner Brothers. Which has actually had a bad summer in general in terms of B.O. Poseidon was a flop, Lady in the Water was a flop, Ant Bully looks like it's doing crap. SR was supposed to be its summer tentpole and the B.O. is disappointing to say the least.

Meanwhile Fox has had a mixed but overall financially successful summer.

Bollocks.

xmarksthespot
confused

pr1983
confused

Irish slang. as in bollocks, how could i have made such a silly mistake...

Praylu
It's meaning was somewhat obvious in it's placement.

xmarksthespot
Uhh... "Bollocks" is a term that's commonly used as to indicate disbelief, disagreement or denial...

pr1983
Uhh... "Bollocks" is a term that's commonly used as to indicate disbelief, disagreement or denial...

Not for me... stick out tongue

in ireland its basically... crap, shit, and so on...

xmarksthespot
Not for me... stick out tongue

in ireland its basically... crap, shit, and so on... Here the equivalent is "Bugger", "Bollocks" is more commonly used as an interjection indicating disbelief/disagreement e.g. "WW can beat Superman." "What? That's bollocks."

pr1983
Here the equivalent is "Bugger", "Bollocks" is more commonly used as an interjection indicating disbelief/disagreement e.g. "WW can beat Superman." "What? That's bollocks."

Oh, we can use it as that too... it has many uses for us...

Praylu

Ah, I had thought you lived in the US.

GODOFALL1
It's just that i've seen it 4 times, twice in 3D. I thought it was really really good. I also saw Pirates of the Carribean, and there is nooooooooooooooooooooo way that movie is better or should make more money. Jack Sparrow is an evil SOB! It just doesn't make sense. I mean you would think b/c Superman hasn't been on the screen for decades that his return would be something just about everyone would want to see. How could someone NOT go see Superman? Heck, Spiderman and Spiderman II look they will make more than what Superman Returns did. And I thought Superman Returns was better than those and The Fantastic Four. I guess Im just into POWER. And Superman can just bring a certain ENERGY that those other movies could never. Im surprised more people would want to experience that as well.

SpyCspider
i was hyped about it and came out disappointed. I'm sure many others would attest to that. Watching it at midnight doesn't help, especially towards the end where everything just kept dragging on and on...it's like "find some damn closure already."

I expected the film to deliver a generally wholesome, good ,if slightly patriotic feeling like its predecessors. Nobody clapped when the movie was over and the seats were packed to the fullest. It was like a loud trumpet playing a flat note.

Dr. Zaius
It's just that i've seen it 4 times, twice in 3D. I thought it was really really good. I also saw Pirates of the Carribean, and there is nooooooooooooooooooooo way that movie is better or should make more money. Jack Sparrow is an evil SOB! It just doesn't make sense. I mean you would think b/c Superman hasn't been on the screen for decades that his return would be something just about everyone would want to see. How could someone NOT go see Superman? Heck, Spiderman and Spiderman II look they will make more than what Superman Returns did. And I thought Superman Returns was better than those and The Fantastic Four. I guess Im just into POWER. And Superman can just bring a certain ENERGY that those other movies could never. Im surprised more people would want to experience that as well.

But that was the problem with the movie...no power, no energy. SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. I nearly fell asleep during the last 30 minutes. And the first 30 minutes, for that matter. Well...for all of it, really. Take out the plane scene and the scene with the gatlin gun on the roof, and you have a Lifetime made for television movie.

MattDay
ouch! the only problem with it is that it's half an hour too long, i agree with the bbc's reviews," 5 out of 5, brillaint and effortless, just take out the slow scenes to make it 2 hours to make it the best superhero movie yet."

GODOFALL1
I wish it had been longer. Then again, I really love Superman! smile

badabing
Pirates of the Caribbean.

Superboy Prime
Make no mistake there WILL be a sequel.

draxx_tOfU
Originally posted by Superboy Prime
Make no mistake there WILL be a sequel.

"bollocks!!!"

MattDay
it made back it's own production budget, it just didnt make back the total production budget which includes the crappy idea of superman they had with nic cage as superman.

xmarksthespot
huh No it hasn't.

Even taking worldwide box office it still hasn't made back it's production budget. Studios ultimately end up with around 50% of domestic box office. Production budget according to Singer is $204 million, preproduction over the decade brings it to an approximate $260 million, marketing and prints brings it to over $300 million. This is arguably the most expensive film ever made.

olympian
It makes money because it brings the S.O.B we all have inside of us! HaRRRR! pirate

MattDay
i've watched both and they are both good films, it's just what happened, if superman came out a month before or after pirates it could have been a different story... never mind, atleast the sequel has a good chance of surpassing the first film's success, aslong as luthor isn't the main villain...again! most people didn't go because of the lack of villains in the film... well just one and it's the same as the old films, the sequel will do really well if it has 2 or 3 new villains all working against the man of steel, simple! beer

brainchild81
Originally posted by RUNMAN
The movie was so hyped and it just failed to deliver. ditto

chase el
the movie was great. sorry to dissapoint anyone. Oh... and by the way... they made their money back before the DVD was realeased. So there will be a sequel. They are already interviewing Singer about it

MattDay
I know, get the message out to the fans that are worried there isn't because it's being confirmed now, story, villains, sub plot... everything is going ahead for the suspected release of 2009

brainchild81
Originally posted by chase el
the movie was great. sorry to dissapoint anyone. Oh... and by the way... they made their money back before the DVD was realeased. So there will be a sequel. They are already interviewing Singer about it Maybe they'll get it right the second time around. S.R. wasn't great, it wasn't even good. It was boring

olympian
Too much on trying to be like the first movie pirate

MattDay
well he did a good job reintroducing the character into modern cinema, that I believed to be the hardest part of bringing back a hero that ws massive in the 70/80's era... that's where brian got it right, as it got brilliant reviews (of course there are a few nasty ones) but overall i was happy they got big blue back, now the fun can begin with the sequels, actually throwing a punch would be nice, i noticed he did no fighting in the first one, not even a flick of his finger

evilm0nki3
I didn't like Superman Returns. It was boring to say the least.

systemshock2
Even the backers of the "Superman Returns", Legendary pictures, still have confidence in financing it again. Here's a quote I saw from Superherohype.com:

-----------------------------------

In a Variety article talking about investors it is mentioned that Legendary is on board for the Superman Returns sequel:

If Legendary is unnerved, it isn't showing. Like Warners, Legendary insists it will turn a profit on "Superman Returns," and has given all indications that it's on deck to co-finance a sequel.

Like Legendary, all the funds argue that they won't be made, or broken, by just one pic. By investing in a slate of pics over the course of several years, they're virtually guaranteed a return of 10%.

-------------------------------

Now all that's left is Singer returning, and 2009 can't come soon enough. =)

MattDay
right on!

kabluey
I like the movie, it provides a story line, which is rare compare to what people expect this days. Which consist more of unecessary violence and graphic sex. Then again what can you expect from some teenagers and their short attention span.

MattDay
lol not a lot

Bicnarok
Probably because theres nothing original in it, the same old villian Lex Luthor, the same old story line.

The only plus points are the special effects (most new films have these) and the novelty of him having a son.

MattDay
well you forget it's a reintroduction... meaning they have to re-establish the franchise, which means go back to the basics and build up from that, which means, the original villain, which means, a similar plot would help bring back the character, which means superman. because I've had to explain the obvious to you bicnarok you are a dum f*cker!

pr1983
well you forget it's a reintroduction... meaning they have to re-establish the franchise, which means go back to the basics and build up from that, which means, the original villain, which means, a similar plot would help bring back the character, which means superman. because I've had to explain the obvious to you bicnarok you are a dum f*cker!

It's SUPERMAN, he doesnt need a reintroduction... and besides, SR didnt even do that... it had Luthor, but spent more time on the 'oh no, i've been gone for five years and lois has moved on and had a kid' angle than anything else, thats not a reintroduction (assuming one was needed, which imo it wasn't)

and watch your language... no personal attacks, whether you agree with him or not...

MattDay
okay sorry I apologize, that was harsh, but it was still a reintroduction needed for the GENERAL public too, a lot kids didn't know superman was on the big screen in the late 70's, they needed a small background just for them and the GENERAL public who don't follow comic book character like drones, but enjoy a movie with heart and something lacking in most films these days... a sublime plot and a parallel sub plot which this film had.

pr1983
okay sorry I apologize, that was harsh, but it was still a reintroduction needed for the GENERAL public too, a lot kids didn't know superman was on the big screen in the late 70's, they needed a small background just for them and the GENERAL public who don't follow comic book character like drones, but enjoy a movie with heart and something lacking in most films these days... a sublime plot and a parallel sub plot which this film had.

Superman is the most famous superhero EVER. Very few people need an introduction, and even if they did, they could find someone within twenty feet who probably knows the origin already and could just tell them...

This isnt x-men, or a hero that has only existed in comics for the better part of their history... Superman is in every form of media in one way or another...

and most of those kids probably watch smallville too...

MattDay
i don't know, maybe a lot of kids in america know who he is, but all the kids know spiderman, and only "sort of" know who superman is... my cousin for example, him and his mates, don't know krypton, that he's an alien, they just assumed he was born that way or "something" as he kindly put it. lol

Ah well it did help as it didn't do bad at the box office... but slapping on the failed attempts as well was unfair, as the film cost 200 - 210 million by itself.

pr1983
i don't know, maybe a lot of kids in america know who he is, but all the kids know spiderman, and only "sort of" know who superman is... my cousin for example, him and his mates, don't know krypton, that he's an alien, they just assumed he was born that way or "something" as he kindly put it. lol

Ah well it did help as it didn't do bad at the box office... but slapping on the failed attempts as well was unfair, as the film cost 200 - 210 million by itself.

Well im in ireland, and my 12 year old brother knew all that, and he's never read a superman comic... most people have watched the reeve movies (i mean, any movie channel shows them all the time over here), if your in uk, do you have sky movies? a year or so ago they had it free for a month or two, they showed superman and superman II constantly...

i just dont think an origin movie is that neccessary...

and to be honest, superman returns, to me, wasnt even that... we didnt see him come to earth as a baby, or find out about his kryptonian heritage, or watch his parents put him in a rocket...

R.O.T. Yahman
Oh, we can use it as that too... it has many uses for us...

I bet they do ..... *shifty*

Back to your orginal statement is it not: 'Ohhhhhh Bollocks' ?

pr1983
Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
I bet they do ..... *shifty*

Back to your orginal statement is it not: 'Ohhhhhh Bollocks' ?

laughing

its what i wrote, and thats final... stick out tongue

MattDay
okay fair enough, there's a lot less people who agree with you, and a lot more who agree with me, but that's the beauty of opinion... without it, we'd be making the biggest pieces of shit to ever come out into the movies and it would get praised... oh wait pirates came out didn't it lol

pr1983
okay fair enough, there's a lot less people who agree with you, and a lot more who agree with me,

Do you really think that? To me it looks pretty even... from people i've talked to on kmc and offline...

pirates was ok imo... but it would have been a hell of alot worse without depp...

MattDay
ohh totally, johnny was the highlight from begining to end, and the loopy story was based around him all the way... if he wasn't in it, it would of been aweful.

well when u do searches over google, look at polls, chat to friends, go onto kmc, although everyone here hates superman, so i cant trust most people's judgement on here, it got 4 out of 5 stars overall from every major critic (this is the average score from them all) people say it's a B on boxofficemojo, it got a lot of thumbs up from my mates who were bored shitless in X- 3 (i.e. people actually do appreciate a story line... didnt think that was possible nowadays lol)

it did good, and turned a small profit which the investors Ledgend said will benifit them in the long run when DVD sales come in and sequels in the future, with one already getting into pre production next year even.

see, always postive! clapping

pr1983
ohh totally, johnny was the highlight from begining to end, and the loopy story was based around him all the way... if he wasn't in it, it would of been aweful.

true...

I dont think that many people hate superman (they may dislike how he is overrated and overexposed, but i dont think they have much animosity towards the character, although there are idiots everywhere who use the most stupid reasons to dislike him), after all, people can like superman and not like SR... i think alot of superman fans were disappointed... alot weren't, its all down to personal opinion... alot of critics liked it, but alot didnt, especially where i live, it didnt get a great score...

the x-men movies are an abomination...

positive? knowing the kind of movies singer makes, im not so sure...

i went through the exact same thing with xmen, always hoping the next movie would be good... erm

MattDay
well arent we lucky the story is being written three ways instead of one man's vision... that way we can get a better overall story, hopefully in the next one, but i can see what they were doing in this one was to reintroduce (man i've said that word alot) the franchise, get that out the way and then have fun and be creative with it... sequels will do that to a director

MattDay
true...

I dont think that many people hate superman (they may dislike how he is overrated and overexposed, but i dont think they have much animosity towards the character, although there are idiots everywhere who use the most stupid reasons to dislike him), after all, people can like superman and not like SR... i think alot of superman fans were disappointed... alot weren't, its all down to personal opinion... alot of critics liked it, but alot didnt, especially where i live, it didnt get a great score...

the x-men movies are an abomination...

positive? knowing the kind of movies singer makes, im not so sure...

i went through the exact same thing with xmen, always hoping the next movie would be good... erm

your forgetting pr, it's superman!

Happy Dance

pr1983
well arent we lucky the story is being written three ways instead of one man's vision... that way we can get a better overall story, hopefully in the next one, but i can see what they were doing in this one was to reintroduce (man i've said that word alot) the franchise, get that out the way and then have fun and be creative with it... sequels will do that to a director

if its still those two idiots who wrote x-men then all hope for me is lost... sad

your forgetting pr, it's superman!

Happy Dance

I love Superman, i have done for years... thats why i want them to make better movies... erm

GODOFALL1
I started this thread! I can't believe some of the things you guys are saying. Im also a movie critic, among other things. Let me say something that will probably reallly piss a lot of people off! Superman would ANNILATE THE XMEN, SPIDERMAN, GHOSTRIDER at the same time! Its amazing how spiderman and spiderman 2 made more money than Superman Returns! It's OK! The general public are ****ing morons! Sorry..................you are! Superman Boring??????? WTF! is wrong with you? Open Water, The Village, The Life Aquatic......those movies SUCK ASS!!!!! Don't ever say Superman returns was boring you ****ing IDIOTS! Oh, and for you forum moderators??? Im not flaming!!!!! Im being real! Superman Returns was great! It was a good movie. It was a reintroduction for Superman. That is all. NOW, if the next one, he isn't fighting DOOMSDAY???? Yeah, ill lose faith in Superman, b/c if they did do it like that, it would be amazing, and very emotional, and make more money since FAGGOTASS AMerica likes emotion.

Million Dollor Baby......many academy awards, best picture.......WORST ****ING MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRITICS SUX ASS! REMEMBER THAT......Idiot movie! The hero always wins in a GREAT movie! And don't bring up BraveHeart! B/c that movie sux ASS on a multitude of reasons........................I'll be happy to prove them all!!!

Well.........OK, that was a great movie, but could have been better!!!

Happy Endings!!!! That's what makes a movie AWESOME!!!!

Titianic-------Sad movie, right? NO! She dies at the end, and ends up with the guy she was always meant to be with! DUH! Great movie! That's why its like the 5th best money making movie of all time!

And for any dumbass that would like to prove to me that Titanic made the most box office money??????? Ill crush you!!

Matt

GODOFALL1
Superman Returns was GREAT!!!!! The next one will be even BETTER~

MattDay
whoa! I agree with you that it was a great movie, and most if not all the films listed were pretty boring and ott on the emotional catch... i think there's going to be an arguement though! ahhhh HIDE!

pr1983
I started this thread! I can't believe some of the things you guys are saying. Im also a movie critic, among other things. Let me say something that will probably reallly piss a lot of people off! Superman would ANNILATE THE XMEN, SPIDERMAN, GHOSTRIDER at the same time! Its amazing how spiderman and spiderman 2 made more money than Superman Returns! It's OK! The general public are ****ing morons! Sorry..................you are! Superman Boring??????? WTF! is wrong with you? Open Water, The Village, The Life Aquatic......those movies SUCK ASS!!!!! Don't ever say Superman returns was boring you ****ing IDIOTS! Oh, and for you forum moderators??? Im not flaming!!!!! Im being real! Superman Returns was great! It was a good movie. It was a reintroduction for Superman. That is all. NOW, if the next one, he isn't fighting DOOMSDAY???? Yeah, ill lose faith in Superman, b/c if they did do it like that, it would be amazing, and very emotional, and make more money since FAGGOTASS AMerica likes emotion.

Million Dollor Baby......many academy awards, best picture.......WORST ****ING MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRITICS SUX ASS! REMEMBER THAT......Idiot movie! The hero always wins in a GREAT movie! And don't bring up BraveHeart! B/c that movie sux ASS on a multitude of reasons........................I'll be happy to prove them all!!!

Titianic-------Sad movie, right? NO! She dies at the end, and ends up with the guy she was always meant to be with! DUH! Great movie! That's why its like the 5th best money making movie of all time!

And for any dumbass that would like to prove to me that Titanic made the most box office money??????? Ill crush you!!

Matt

passion = good...

superman returns, at times, to some people, was boring...

when they say its boring, they dont mean the scene with the plane or the confrontation with luthor, they're talking about the superman and lois stuff, which, imo, was badly executed (as if casting bosworth wasn't bad enough)...

For me, it wasnt a movie that had you glued to the screen for its running time, as alot of the lois stuff, to be frank, wasnt that great in comparison to whats come before it...

thats all people are saying...

SpyCspider

Matt

roughrider

Matt

............. whistle ...............

UniOmni
Superman Returns was a good movie. It was also a chick movie.

And the fact that it was aimed at those who remembered the Reeves films didn't help its case.

Superman is a good character to write about, but imo, he doesn't have the draw of Batman and Spiderman.

Ras Al Ghul >>> Lex Luthor, imo.
Dr. Octupus fighting Spidey on a train >> Lex's gang shanking Superman.

Alot of younger people see Superman for senior citizens.

I like the books that look at his character more, than the actionfests myself, but i got an old soul.

But Superman is supposed to be about action and blam, boom!

It was tame, and low key. Good, but not super.

If they'd had Mongul or Bizarro come and beat the stuffing outta him, that woulda been a seller.
And give some of his less popular rogues some exposure.

Let the next one have DD kill him, and then have the next film be an adaptation of The Return of Superman, including the Reign of the Supermen, one of my favorite stories of his.

pr1983
Originally posted by UniOmni
I like the books that look at his character more, than the actionfests myself, but i got an old soul.

you're preaching to the choir...

MattDay
I agree, i did read that producers of this superman movie, had a public conference and at the end a superman sheild appeared, with blood dripping from it... i think superman is going the "im gona die them come back and go all jackie chan on ur ass" angle... sounds interesting!

roughrider
Now it's less than $2 million away from $200 million domestically.
Two months away from DVD - will it make it?

MattDay
i see it being like $199,999,999 away from that mark just because it would be bloomen typical lol

MattDay
oh and just to point out overall, it brought in more dough than batman begins

UniOmni
Also cost much more than Batman Begins tho.

MattDay
50 mill on it's own merit yes, but it brought in... wait im not sure exactly how much it has brought in but it will possibly make up the difference there uniomni

SupermanV

MattDay
well think what u want, they have said that the lack of revenue made wasnt the decider everyone is sitting on, they said in the long run the franchise will most likely make up for it... they said they are investing money in the franchise i.e. sequel... dude nice try trying to put a downer on the idea, but no.

SupermanV
well think what u want, they have said that the lack of revenue made wasnt the decider everyone is sitting on, they said in the long run the franchise will most likely make up for it... they said they are investing money in the franchise i.e. sequel... dude nice try trying to put a downer on the idea, but no.

I am a realist Matt, studios do not make movies for the sake of the fans, but to make money. SR has by their own admission was $100 million below their expectations and since the Horn interview, I have seen a number of articles which state the Returns is set to deal WB and Legendary a loss of about $20+ million each. With the summer WB has had, it cannot afford to run out and sink money into another project that may lose money. They will be cautious and take their time, and if DVD sales are flat I suspect we will see the sequel not get the go ahead. However, it sales turn out to be like BB, then it will be a go!

Many things were against this film becoming financially successful,

1. It cost too much! They wasted a great deal of money from using state of the art digital cameras, building a farm and corn field in Australia, to leaving $10 million whole scenes out of the film. It has hurt the bottom line.

2. Marketing! This film never went after the casual viewer. Fans were rabid and knew about each and every aspect of the film and were counting down to the second it was going to be released. However, not until after the film began to be shown, did we here in the states begin to see commercials and trailers. I could tell 2 weeks in that WB was panicked, because almost nightly on the big networks we were seeing new commercials and newly cut trailers, showing much more action. By then it was too late for the most part as POC2 was out and everyone wanted to see that movie instead.

3. Distribution! A week before POC2, what more can I say? Only that their hubris got the better of them.

4. Word of Mouth! Many fans are disappointed with the film and said it loud and clear. I was eager to see it and plunked down my $10 for the special Tuesday night the day before it opened seat. I walked away from the movie feeling somewhat disillusioned, wondering how after all this time and money, this was the best they could come up with?

So until I see an actual official news release stating a sequel has been given the go ahead, I will set aside my excitement on any 2009 release. I have seen too many films that were suppose to have sequels end up not having them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.