He Does Not Only Hate Gays... Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney Hates Black People Too!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Adam_PoE

Draco69
I don't think he meant it. I didn't even know "tar baby" was a racist term...

Is it like "ghetto" when all of sudden the NAACP thought the word "ghetto" was racist?

pr1983
Originally posted by Draco69
I don't think he meant it. I didn't even know "tar baby" was a racist term...

Is it like "ghetto" when all of sudden the NAACP thought the word "ghetto" was racist?

I've seen people by offended by the word 'black'... erm

doesn't surprise me how pc the world is...

Darth Macabre
Give me a break...This is ridiculous...Does anyone actually believe he meant it as a racial slur?

badabing
The question everybody needs to ask is "Why would a public figure intentionally say something racist?" I've never heard of that term until I read the article. I guess in this world, ignorance of obscure(at least to me) racial slurs = bigotry. I only blame the Governor for ignorance of know every racial slur.

Emperor Ashtar
Tar baby's laughing

How old are these people?

docb77
Moreso than belittling Romney, this article shows how much political correctness has run amok.

I don't think he should have apologized, I think he should have pointed out how stupid political correctness is. Of course that would be political suicide, so of course he wouldn't do it. But it would be nice to see a politician with the balls to point out the idiocy of some people.

Emperor Ashtar
Maybe if the issue of racism became a serious subject instead of a taboo subject that is not discussed, there would be less problems.

docb77
Sure, but in the current climate it is sacrilegious to say anything about race, especially for a white guy.

Emperor Ashtar
Why does the "Black Community" go out of it's way to represent for all blacks, one small organization cannot represent an entire group of people, it's stupid.

cking
what a racist!!!furious

Emperor Ashtar
Originally posted by cking
what a racist!!!furious

Are you kidding me, he just said tar baby.

cking
I'm just pulling your leg. wink I don't care what the guy says as long he doesn't say anything to me.

NINJ4_BL4D3
WTF??????!!!!!!!!!

KidRock
Yeah yeah racist racist racist.

Someone says they want their shead painted black and they're a racist these days. Just tune the politically correct dumbass liberals out.

C-Dic
"Tar baby" was adopted as racist term in the same sense as "gay" was adopted by the GLC. "Tar baby" is defined as; "something from which it is nearly impossible to extricate oneself", which makes perfect sense in its application here.

Using it in the context these fingerpointers are using, he'd be saying; "The best thing politically would be to stay as far away from that ****** as I can.", and apparently they're suggesting he referred to as a failed project as a black person, in a derogitory and malicious manner?

I smell bullshit.

Emperor Ashtar
Originally posted by KidRock
Yeah yeah racist racist racist.

Someone says they want their shead painted black and they're a racist these days. Just tune the politically correct dumbass liberals out.

He said tar baby's laughing

Is saying "Mudbutt" politically incorrect?

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Give me a break...This is ridiculous...Does anyone actually believe he meant it as a racial slur?

A racial slur? Are you kidding? What other way is there to use the term "tar baby"? I grew up in a town where the side of the Dariy-O said "Nigg*r don't be here when the sun goes down"! Either you know the meaning of 'tar baby' or you don't! Otherwise, you wouldn'd use it to illustrate your feelings.

xmarksthespot
The phrase itself seems very obscure, not just its apparent status as a racial slur, which would imply but not necessitate pre-existing knowledge of the derogatory connotations...

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
The phrase itself seems very obscure, not just its apparent status as a racial slur, which would imply but not necessitate pre-existing knowledge of the derogatory connotations...

Well, here I am as a childof the south. I'm telling you that "tar baby" is no different than 'nigg*r' or 'darkie' or negroid on a birth certificate. Nigg*r, don't be here when the sun goes down.

jaden101
the only othe time i remember seeing "tar baby" used was in a richard prior sketch

GCG
Hmm.....looks like Gov. Romney got himself into a tar baby.

Oh Shit !

FistOfThe North
Mitt's cool. He's the Gov. of my state and "Tar Baby" wasn't racially said. It was in reference to the Big Dig tunnel.

He's gonna be the next president, but i dont know if the US is ready for a Mormon president, but i hope he wins.

botankus
This just in...Keebler has withdrawn its use of the word "cracker" when describing E.L. Fudge. Oops, guess they can't use "Fudge" since it might suggest "Black" People - oh, can't say that either. I give up.

FeceMan
Tar baby's a slur?

Cripes, then I was traumatized by Briar Rabbit as a child.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by botankus
This just in...Keebler has withdrawn its use of the word "cracker" when describing E.L. Fudge. Oops, guess they can't use "Fudge" since it might suggest "Black" People - oh, can't say that either. I give up.

Your joke was too long to be funny. Meaning because it was too long it wasn't funny

PVS
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Your joke was too long to be funny. Meaning because it was too long it wasn't funny

just because you lack the attention span to read a joke with more than 5 words doesnt render it not funny....oh damn...was that to longwinded?

docb77
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
A racial slur? Are you kidding? What other way is there to use the term "tar baby"? I grew up in a town where the side of the Dariy-O said "Nigg*r don't be here when the sun goes down"! Either you know the meaning of 'tar baby' or you don't! Otherwise, you wouldn'd use it to illustrate your feelings.

2 things,
- Romney isn't from the south.
- Tar baby has been defined in other posts as a situation that is almost impossible to get out of. No racial innuendo there.

Again, it's just PCness run amok.

sithsaber408
This is horseshit, the dictionary doesn't even give the racial slur as a second or third meaning:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tar%20baby

Damn PC liberals, always tryna hold da conservative man down.

PVS
its terminology adopted from old southern racist storytelling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Remus

the main character uncle remus, a kindly and obedient slave who tells stories to white children. the "tar baby" was an element of one of those stories, and the source of the definition.

Darth Macabre

And I grew up in a town where Tar Baby means a sticky situation that you got yourself into....So what was the point of that post? Look at the context he used it in. Can you honestly tell me he meant it as a racial slur?

FeceMan
Taaaaaaaaar baaaaaaaaaaaaaby!

I always thought it was like a scarecrow...coated in tar...or whatever.

'Course, I never heard of the phrase 'porch monkey' until recently.

PVS
i grew up thinking it simply meant a monkey which sat on a porch, so therefore its not racist.

(sarcasm to counter a previously stated point, for those OMGRACIST!!!!! knee-jerk reactionaries who just cant hit the quote button fast enough)

Capt_Fantastic
And I grew up in a town where Tar Baby means a sticky situation that you got yourself into....So what was the point of that post? Look at the context he used it in. Can you honestly tell me he meant it as a racial slur?

How can you racially insult a construction project? Using racist terms to describe them isn't an insult to the project, it's an insult to people who've been called tar babies in the past.

Darth Macabre
How can you racially insult a construction project? Using racist terms to describe them isn't an insult to the project, it's an insult to people who've been called tar babies in the past.

I've been called a "cracker" or "Kracka" in the past....Does that mean I should go crying all the time I hear the words "saltine" or "ritz"?

People fail to see the context something is used...Just like the word for a female dog...If you're talking about a woman, of course it's rude...But if you're talking about a dog, it's appropriate.

jaden101
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9ECvjma0E&search=richard%20pryor

Capt_Fantastic
I've been called a "cracker" or "Kracka" in the past....Does that mean I should go crying all the time I hear the words "saltine" or "ritz"?

That doesn't make any sense.

BackFire

So if I call a black person a sticky mud-hole, and some other people start adopting it as a racial slur in my area. Then someone in another part of the country used it in a different context and said "this is worse then being in a sticky mudhole", they'd be racist?

of course they wouldn't, just because some people associate the term with racism doesn't mean the term can't be used properly in a non derogatory context. That's giving racists way to much power.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by sithsaber408
This is horseshit

Damn PC liberals, always tryna hold da conservative man down.

So, the black republican that was quoted in the article is a "PC liberal"?

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by BackFire
So if I call a black person a sticky mud-hole, and some other people start adopting it as a racial slur in my area. Then someone in another part of the country used it in a different context and said "this is worse then being in a sticky mudhole", they'd be racist?

of course they wouldn't, just because some people associate the term with racism doesn't mean the term can't be used properly in a non derogatory context. That's giving racists way to much power.

Okay. I'll yeild in my belief that it's an outdated term and subscribe to the idea that people north of Washington don't know what the term "tar baby" means south of Washington.

badabing
Read the definition and decide. it had nothing to do with race.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tar%20baby

Adam_PoE

xmarksthespot
Pejorative...

I don't see how this phrase has a standard usage as a derogatory term, having never heard of it before. I don't see how this phrase has a standard usage at all, having never heard of it before. But the obscurity of the phrase would imply that in knowing the phrase, one would also know the derogatory racial connotations. So it depends on how much benefit of the doubt one is willing to afford.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by PVS
just because you lack the attention span to read a joke with more than 5 words doesnt render it not funny....oh damn...was that to longwinded?

yeeeaaa...it was still corney.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by botankus
Oops, guess they can't use "Fudge" since it might suggest "Black" People

I thought "Fudge" was gonna imply a gay joke, not a Black joke. laughing out loud

FeceMan
Briar Rabbit got stuck to a tar baby. Then he tricked them other varmints into throwin' him inna briar patch.

BackFire

Capt_Fantastic
having never heard of it before.

This apparently has as much meaning as I implied when I told the story from my childhood. I've not ever heard the story of teh inescapable situation as a synonym for "tar baby". But, then again, my grand father still refers to black people as *******.

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I thought "Fudge" was gonna imply a gay joke, not a Black joke. laughing out loud

you forgot the 'packers' part. Then it would be a gay joke.

globally recognized as pretty much the main racial slur, and nothing but a racial slur. It's original meaning is long gone

Tar Baby has an actual, legit meaning that many people still recognize today

So, which is it? Commonly recognized or commonly considered?

BackFire
Does it matter?

Point was, ****** is seen by all as nothing but a racial slur these days, Tar Baby still has a meaning beyond a racial slur that many still seem to see as it's main one. And seeing as many in this thread didn't even know Tar Baby was a racial slur at all, the analogy was flawed.

GCG
Perhaps tommorrow, words like Shit, Liquorice, Coal and Pudding may all become racial slurs.

BackFire
Well apparantly, now that the idea is perpetuated and in the open, they can no longer be used in their normal form. If racists adopt them it becomes racist for others to use them in their proper form.

Mmmmmm pudding.....shit! Damn it!, I guess I'm a racist.

GCG
Opportunistic Wanna-be Victims I SAY !

FeceMan
So, I'm wondering--does Mitt Romney actually hate gays, or is that statement as retarded as the "he hates black people" bit?

docb77
He's against gay marriage, I guess you can read into that what you want.

Adam_PoE
No, it wouldn't. Since at this time, that word is globally recognized as pretty much the main racial slur, and nothing but a racial slur. It's original meaning is long gone in the shadow of the infamy of it's now accepted, standard meaning.

Tar Baby has an actual, legit meaning that many people still recognize today as it's main definition, it can be used in a non racist manner.

Obvious difference here dude.

It seems by your reasoning any word that recognized by anyone should lose whatever meaning it has, and only be recognized as a racial slur.

There is no difference. The actual definition of the word tar baby is "a human figure composed of tar that is used to trap Br'er Rabbit."

From this usage, it developed the colloquial meaning, "a situation or problem from which it is virtually impossible to disentangle oneself," and later the deprecatory meaning, "a derogatory term for a black person."

Adam_PoE
I don't see how this phrase has a standard usage as a derogatory term, having never heard of it before. I don't see how this phrase has a standard usage at all, having never heard of it before. But the obscurity of the phrase would imply that in knowing the phrase, one would also know the derogatory racial connotations. So it depends on how much benefit of the doubt one is willing to afford.

Indeed. To quote Timothy L. Warner:

"Even at my tender preadolescent age I didn't need an adult to explain to me the racist implication of the phrase tar baby. The colloquial usage of tar baby to denote 'a sticky situation' was utterly lost on my back in the early to late 1970s, naturally. To be sure, I wonder now if the phrase even had that particular connotation at that time.

...Why in the world would a public figure, especially someone speaking for the President of the United States or someone running for the President's office, choose to use a phrase that is in any way associated with disparagement in general and racism in particular?"

BackFire
And when it was used by him it was used with this - "a situation or problem from which it is virtually impossible to disentangle oneself"- meaning in mind.

Maybe he used it because he was unaware, like many others, that it was actually also a racial slur.

Afro Cheese
But the obscurity of the phrase would imply that in knowing the phrase, one would also know the derogatory racial connotations. So it depends on how much benefit of the doubt one is willing to afford. Not necessarily. Assuming he didn't look up the word and it's multiple meanings in the dictionary, he very well could've heard someone use it in the way he meant it, liked the phrase, and repeated it in that context.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Either he didn't know about the phrases racial connotation when he said it or he said it in a non-racist way without thinking about its other meaning. The only other scenario would be that he's injecting subliminal racism into his speach about the big dig? Yeah, sorry, sounds a little far fetched.

FeceMan
Originally posted by docb77
He's against gay marriage, I guess you can read into that what you want.
Ah, yes. I forgot that I hate gays. Hate 'em with a passion. String 'em up with Ye Olde Wrath of God, that sort of thing.

...So, to answer my question, yes, it is as retarded.

Capt_Fantastic
Well apparantly, now that the idea is perpetuated and in the open, they can no longer be used in their normal form. If racists adopt them it becomes racist for others to use them in their proper form.

Mmmmmm pudding.....shit! Damn it!, I guess I'm a racist.

You are right. I have interpreted this situation incorrectly. Besaides, anyone who wants to toss his name in the hate for the nomination to the office of President would never have made such a statement.

You are right, and I was wrong.

Black Rob
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
I love the fact that after he made efforts to actually help the black community he's slammed by black leaders. Why do these guys have to represent me. no

docb77
I never really thought about that. It does almost seem that words are more important than actions to some people.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.