Bring back the old search function when it actually was better...and worked

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deano
anyone agree

Prabhodh
It's working fine for me, i know its a little different but we'll get used to it.

Clovie
NO!!!

this one IS working.
the last one was having all the common words crap disgust and this one is not saying I'm a common word. happy so fine by me

btw> in the black skin the way it looks is a bit complicated embarrasment it took me two days to understand how it works cry

Deano
ive tryed it. its rarely accurate

Lady Fianna
Perhaps you need to check your spelling.

Raz
Originally posted by Deano
ive tryed it. its rarely accurate The new search engine is actually more accurate than the old one, since it allows any size characters - includings characters less than 3, which the previous didn't.

The search is also based on fact and ordered by date. So if you search for "deano" it will return ALL posts that contained that term. It will not drop any posts.

Prabhodh
who voted yes and didn't post ninja

WillUEvrGiv^
Current one works fine for me.

H. S. 6
You can't search for threads in the new one, though.

Therein lies its inferiority to the old one, in my opinion. erm

Barker
Originally posted by H. S. 6
You can't search for threads in the new one, though.

Therein lies its inferiority to the old one, in my opinion. erm
yes, Don't mods usually tell you to search for Duplicate threads before posting a new one?

Can't do that Very easily now.

Clovie
so what? the old one wasn't searching up stuff anyway erm

and Raz said he'll add the thread option soon.

Lana
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=6874573#post6874573

That post explains how to best use the new search engine.

Barker
Originally posted by Clovie
Raz said he'll add the thread option soon.
Didn't know that. erm

Impediment
I want the old Search feature to come back. I seriously despise this new one. On two separate occasions, I looked for and existing thread, one in the DVD forum and the other in the Comic Book VS. Forum, and wasn't yielded any results. So, naturaly, I made new threads. Turns out, both threads already existed, and I was made to look like an ass.

Lana
Originally posted by Lana
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=6874573#post6874573

That post explains how to best use the new search engine.

Read the post I linked in there.

Impediment
I have. I tried, numerous times, to use that in my search, but I got nothing. I dont know if Im doing anything wrong.

Lana
The 'title:' is the best way. Just type 'title:words you think are in the title' and you should be able to find what you're looking for.

Impediment
For example, if I wanted to find a thread, say, in the Video Games forum of Resident Evil 3. I'd type "title: Resident Evil 3: Nemesis"? Actually use "title" in the search?

Lana
Type in "title:resident evil" and it'll find all RE threads.

It gets tricky with doing very specific title searches, due to misspellings and people not using full names for thread titles and stuff, so just use a word or two that you think would be in the title.

Raz
If you want to use multiple words in a field search you should surround them with parenthesis i.e. the search you want is: title: (Resident Evil 3 Nemesis)

You have to remove the colon as it would be hard to distinguish it from a field search.

Impediment
hm The more I practice, the more this is starting to come together................like peanut butter and waffles. Thanx.

Lumanix
Originally posted by Clovie
NO!!!

this one IS working.
the last one was having all the common words crap disgust and this one is not saying I'm a common word. happy so fine by me

btw> in the black skin the way it looks is a bit complicated embarrasment it took me two days to understand how it works cry

Scoobless
The current search function, for lack of a better term, sucks!

It used to be half decent, you'd be looking for an old thread, so you'd type in one or more words from title that you can remember and it'd give you a list of threads with those words in the title

Now though, you type in those words and it lists every thread in that forum where those words have been types in.... and it searches by post rather than thread title

This is not good (which is why I said it sucks .... roll eyes (sarcastic) ) most of the results you get in a search, in my experience, are all from the same thread

It used to be much m,ore user friendly... why was it changed to the crapshack we have now? (yeah... I just made that word up.... but I like it)

________

There is definite possibility that a thread about this already exists... but I couldn't find one due to the uber-suckiness of the search function

no expression

Any chance of this problem be addressed, or just fixed, in the near future?

Tx... rant over

Barker
Originally posted by Scoobless
There is definite possibility that a thread about this already exists... but I couldn't find one due to the uber-suckiness of the search function

no expression

All you had to do was scan the first page. It's there. no expression

Scoobless
But I'd prefer to find threads by using the search function.... for all I knew the older similar thread was 20 pages back.... and I'm sure as hell not going to scan through that many to find it

Barker
Well, that's called being Lazy.

Scoobless
That's what the search function is for.

smile

Lana
Originally posted by Raz
Update

New search is up and running and blindingly fast. There are some new advanced operators you can use in your search:

userid: search by user - so userid:1 will only return results by me. You can get the userid of a user by looking at the URL from the profile of the person you want to search by. Or by entering the username in the advanced section of the search.

forumid: search by forum - so forumid:61 will only return results from the OTF. You can get the forumid by looking at the URL of the forum.

threadid: search by thread - so threadid:10813 will only return results from the "Random Comments" thread (our largest on KMC). You can get the threadid again by looking at the URL of the thread.

title: search by title - title:google will return all threads with the word google in them.

Only thing left is "results as thread" option, which will be done by the end of this week.

Enjoy!

Huzzah, the answer to using the search function to it's fullest extent.

It's great what you find when you read an entire (two page) thread, ya know?

Barker
Originally posted by Lana
Huzzah, the answer to using the search function to it's fullest extent.

It's great what you find when you read an entire (two page) thread, ya know?
(One Page) if you do 40 posts a page.

Ya know?

Syren
Someone can't grasp the concept. Oh dear.

Impediment
The search feature says that "invalid characters" are being used when I use (parentheses) and a : colon in my search. Am I doing it right by including them?

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Deano
anyone agree

I totally agree.i liked it much better the way it was back then.

bogen
this seach engine keels the other one

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.