Marvel is more original than DC ( Even tho I love DC better)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

nvrbeenwthagirl
Are there any top Tier toons in DC powerwise who are not Superman Clones, have super strength, a flash, or have a power ring?

The onlyones I can think of are Metron and Lightray. Am I wrong in this? I'm sure there are lot's of Magic toons but we won't count the ones who do the above mentioned stuff because of magic.

Tha C-Master
Honestly I think DC has had better storytelling overall, particularly recently. So despite the "cliche" powers, their stuff is an interesting and deep read.

Validus
Originally posted by nvrbeenwthagirl
Are there any top Tier toons in DC powerwise who are not Superman Clones, have super strength, a flash, or have a power ring?

Are there any top tiers who don't have a top tier power set? confused

Dinalfos
Nah, Marvel is better. Their characters are more grounded, more relatable and more interesting. DC has done some great stuff(despite the lame ass characters) but nothing beats Infinity Gauntlet, Secret Wars, Civil War, The Ultimates and all that. No, not even Kingdom Come, Infinite Crisis, The Dark Knight Returns or Sandman.

Tha C-Master
I like how more relateable Marve's characters can be, but my problem is the storytelling is often lacking. In terms of complexity, (when compared to DC).

I love reading both though.

nvrbeenwthagirl
Originally posted by Dinalfos
Nah, Marvel is better. Their characters are more grounded, more relatable and more interesting. DC has done some great stuff(despite the lame ass characters) but nothing beats Infinity Gauntlet, Secret Wars, Civil War, The Ultimates and all that. No, not even Kingdom Come, Infinite Crisis, The Dark Knight Returns or Sandman.

Um Wait just a minute. Kingdom Come is Bad ASS. And Some of the Grant Morrison JLA Stories deserved to be company wide cross overs they were so good. Marvel has more diverse characters and a better cosmic setting. DC's Heroes just inspire me more. And they are more powerful and I like my heroes feeling super. It's just that DC is waaay over the top with the Clones. DAMN. Superman Clones every where, Green Lantern Clones. Shazam Clones. Flash Clones. Batman Family. Hell even Wonder Woman has clones now.

Validus
I'm not even going to touch this.

Dinalfos
Personally, I find the complexity in DC comics a bit overrated, but I see what you mean. They do seem to genuinly try. But so does Marvel, and more often than not, they have succeeded. Now more than ever, actually.

doctorstrongbad
Marvel will always be better because their characters are more realistic. Peter parker being a nerd and getting beat up before he became spider-man. I can relate to that. An alien who crashes in Kansas, but looks just like humans? I can not relate to that at all.

Dinalfos
Um Wait just a minute. Kingdom Come is Bad ASS. And Some of the Grant Morrison JLA Stories deserved to be company wide cross overs they were so good. Marvel has more diverse characters and a better cosmic setting. DC's Heroes just inspire me more. And they are more powerful and I like my heroes feeling super. It's just that DC is waaay over the top with the Clones. DAMN. Superman Clones every where, Green Lantern Clones. Shazam Clones. Flash Clones. Batman Family. Hell even Wonder Woman has clones now.

It's very good, excellent even. But not quite as good as some of Marvel's stories, imo.

Big Sexy
Um Wait just a minute. Kingdom Come is Bad ASS. And Some of the Grant Morrison JLA Stories deserved to be company wide cross overs they were so good. Marvel has more diverse characters and a better cosmic setting. DC's Heroes just inspire me more. And they are more powerful and I like my heroes feeling super. It's just that DC is waaay over the top with the Clones. DAMN. Superman Clones every where, Green Lantern Clones. Shazam Clones. Flash Clones. Batman Family. Hell even Wonder Woman has clones now. no really truth be known is just the way that both have their hierarchy set up. The more powerful marvel beings are usually separated unlike the JLA, JSA etc who have them all on teams. Anyway, I just enjoy marvel stories more, its just a feeling. Take Infinite Crisis for example, I have every issue yet I bought it at different times. Now take Civil War, I have bought every issue the day it hit shelves. It just draws me in. It just has to do with taste.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by doctorstrongbad
Marvel will always be better because their characters are more realistic. Peter parker being a nerd and getting beat up before he became spider-man. I can relate to that. An alien who crashes in Kansas, but looks just like humans? I can not relate to that at all. But the struggles can make them more believable overall.

Validus
Marvel will always be better because their characters are more realistic. Peter parker being a nerd and getting beat up before he became spider-man. I can relate to that. An alien who crashes in Kansas, but looks just like humans? I can not relate to that at all.
Maybe you could try to relate to Kyle Rayner, Wally West, Roy Harper, Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Jason Rusch, Jamie Reyes, and the multitude of other DC characters who aren't alien?

Big Sexy
Originally posted by Validus
Maybe you could try to relate to Kyle Rayner, Wally West, Roy Harper, Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Jason Rusch, Jamie Reyes, and the multitude of other DC characters who aren't alien? Exactly. It not really about relatability but more about a persons taste in comics since both have an abundance of both powerful characters and street levelers.

WrathfulDwarf
Pure fanboyish BS. Wasted 1 min of my life reading this stuff.

*leaves*

Darth Martin
DC has believable characters like Validus stated but DC specalizes and sells with Batman and thier overly-powered characters and Marvel specalizes and sells with thier street-levels. DC imo has better storylines altho I do love Civil War, u just can't beat the Hush storyline with Jim Lee's art and Loeb writing.

Big Sexy
Nah, Marvel is better. Their characters are more grounded, more relatable and more interesting. DC has done some great stuff(despite the lame ass characters) but nothing beats Infinity Gauntlet, Secret Wars, Civil War, The Ultimates and all that. No, not even Kingdom Come, Infinite Crisis, The Dark Knight Returns or Sandman. Thats not really true though. I must admit that many times both DC Mainstream and marvel can be boring but a lot of vertigo titles like Hellblazer, Lucifer, and Sandman had be addicted.

sexyking
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

*leaves*

It would have been better if you closed this piece of sh.. excuse for a thread.

batdude123
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

*leaves*

Cosigned. roll eyes (sarcastic)

It's all about personal preference people. I prefer DC SLIGHTLY over Marvel because I find the stories more interesting and more in depth than Marvel stories. But that's not to say that Marvel doesn't have fantastic stories either. I really enjoy both companies.

Dinalfos
Originally posted by Big Sexy
Thats not really true though. I must admit that many times both DC Mainstream and marvel can be boring but a lot of vertigo titles like Hellblazer, Lucifer, and Sandman had be addicted.

Sandman spawned one of my favorite characters, Dream. And it's also one of DC absolute high lights when it comes to writing. But I can't help but feel that some of the stuff that Marvel has done outweights it. Not necessarily because of the writing, though. I can't really explain it. Their stories make me feel more connected, more involved. The character portrayals and many original ideas make up for the sometimes lazy writing.

Validus
Exactly. It not really about relatability but more about a persons taste in comics since both have an abundance of both powerful characters and street levelers.
Someone who gets it. It always come down to the same old statement about DC focusing too much on powerful characters but thats a load of crap. Nobody forces you to buy Action Comics instead of Manhunter or JLA instead of Rush City. Likewise, I'm not forced to read Daredevil instead of Annihilation.

Broly92
Originally posted by batdude123
Cosigned. roll eyes (sarcastic)

It's all about personal preference people. I prefer DC SLIGHTLY over Marvel because I find the stories more interesting and more in depth than Marvel stories. But that's not to say that Marvel doesn't have fantastic stories either. I really enjoy both companies.
DC more in depth in what way?

I personally find them equal but not for being the same
just where one is better at another is better at a different category

leonheartmm
normal dc is not very original but vertigo is much MUCH more original than marvel.

batdude123
Originally posted by Broly92
DC more in depth in what way?

They take into account a characters history and they don't disregard what happened in the past like Marvel sometimes does with characters. But, I like both companies a lot. wink

Broly92
They take into account a characters history and they don't disregard what happened in the past like Marvel sometimes does with characters. But, I like both companies a lot. wink
DC does that alot too confused

Dinalfos
Exactly. I remember a certain character named Superman....

ThePittman

batdude123
Originally posted by Broly92
DC does that alot too confused

*sigh* How interesting the debates of "No that thing does that too!!!" "No it doesn't!!!" "Yes it does!!" "NO IT DOESN'T!!!" "YES IT DOES!!!!" roll eyes (sarcastic)

Anyway, like I said before it's a matter of personal preference. And yes, to me DC has more "in depth" stories. But Marvel also has great titles as well.

Crease
I didn't read any DC b4 joining the forum. In collecting books for 15 years, off and on, I'd only ever read the mid-90's GL and Batman stuff. 2 things forced me to give'm a try; Batman's prep reputation, and one thread I created.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=396481

I put these 3 guys against DC earth w/prep and was politely told my team would get they're ass handed to them. And I know that team would take over Marvel Earth.

So I now pick up everything GL related, WW, and I've bought a ton of old Bats Graphic novels & trades. Good s**t...Still like Marvel better because of the cosmics smile

Juntai
There is characters and titles I like in both Marvel and DC, and Vertigo, and Wildstorm,and Image, and Crossgen, and Archangel Studios, and.....etc. but I think DCUniverse's overall storyline beats them all. Though I think Crossgen could have gave them a huge run if they would have went into their giant crossover and continued for years to come.

rotiart

You can relate to going into a laboratory and having a radioactive spider bite you and give you super--strength, speed, agility, webshooters and a spidersense??

I want you to be my new best friend!

Tron
Moving...

Brutacus
I like Marvel also beter like some say it's just what you prefer, I came in contact with marvel comics, because of the x-men, hulk, spiderman cartoon, lol can still remember wenn I was a small kid, me and my brothers where fighting about who they where from the x-men big grin big grin .

And never really looked at DC comics, well I don't know I think you get attached to a label I guess atleast I did.

UniOmni
I read both companies, though DC gets 95% of my money.
And that goes mostly to TeenTitans, Batman family and the occasional Outsider book.
Wildstorm gets my money in large doses though.

I'd read the Xmen, but way too much convoluted history to touch there it seems.

The Ultimate Line is what gets alot of my cash for Marvel.

Neither company is better than the other, but they each fill unique cravings in my comic maw.

srankmissingnin

... Tell that to Richard Dragon sad

Sin I AM
personally I loved the Universe and earth X storylines that Marvel did

Juntai
Originally posted by UniOmni
I read both companies, though DC gets 95% of my money.
And that goes mostly to TeenTitans, Batman family and the occasional Outsider book.
Wildstorm gets my money in large doses though.

I'd read the Xmen, but way too much convoluted history to touch there it seems.

The Ultimate Line is what gets alot of my cash for Marvel.

Neither company is better than the other, but they each fill unique cravings in my comic maw. I get those same books. lol. Robin, Batman, and Detective, Outsiders, Titans... and I'm looking into Wildcats with Jim Lee and Grant Morrison. Then in Marvel, most of it goes into cosmics or Ultimates.

Those are some of my favorite reads out of the mass of titles I collect.

Big Sexy
Right now I'm taking a hiatus on Batman and Teen titans comics. Right now mostly Ive been buying a combination of Deadpool and Cable and Superman comics. I got a little turned off from batman because of the way the writers went with Jason Todds character.

Validus
Originally posted by rotiart
You can relate to going into a laboratory and having a radioactive spider bite you and give you super--strength, speed, agility, webshooters and a spidersense??

I want you to be my new best friend!
I was going to say that but decided not to. Personally, the idea of relating to super heroes was always a little odd to me. For every facet of their being you can relate to, theres about 5 you can't.

Juntai
Right now I'm taking a hiatus on Batman and Teen titans comics. Right now mostly Ive been buying a combination of Deadpool and Cable and Superman comics. I got a little turned off from batman because of the way the writers went with Jason Todds character. Jason isn't a factor much in OYL Batman. He's much more prominant in Nightwing.

Anyways, Kubert and Morrison just took over the Batman title. Expect big things. Son of the Bat story just kicked off.

Big Sexy
Originally posted by Juntai
Jason isn't a factor much in OYL Batman. He's much more prominant in Nightwing.

Anyways, Kubert and Morrison just took over the Batman title. Expect big things. Son of the Bat story just kicked off. I only have three issues of the one year later batman . The only things I know about it now are that Two-face is back and Batman not as much of a dick as he used to be.

Juntai
I only have three issues of the one year later batman . The only things I know about it now are that Two-face is back and Batman not as much of a dick as he used to be. Well, by the newest issue, Batman went on a sweep and removed all the major criminals in Gotham, and has set his sights on the world now.

Skeets
Well, by the newest issue, Batman went on a sweep and removed all the major criminals in Gotham, and has set his sights on the world now.
Answer my PM...no expression

Big Sexy
Well, by the newest issue, Batman went on a sweep and removed all the major criminals in Gotham, and has set his sights on the world now. Sounds interesting. I'll probably pick it up then.

Juntai
Originally posted by Skeets
Answer my PM...no expression Hows that for starters?

Skeets
Hows that for starters?
thumb up

Black Adam

The onlyones I can think of are Metron and Lightray. Am I wrong in this? I'm sure there are lot's of Magic toons but we won't count the ones who do the above mentioned stuff because of magic.

what?

are you asking about the cartoons like JLU or did you use toons as a substitute for characters?

anyway how many characters out there have spider-man/symbiote/wolverine power sets?

nvrbeenwthagirl
Infinite Crisis was good sex until the last minute when your partner calls someone elses name right when you get ready to release. OMG. I was evil at it. The battles where so fast and sucky. And EASY. DC hvillians suck pickle!!! And they shouldn't. How is it that someone can constantly be a problem for Superman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern, and yet be so Easily Beaten? How come all the really good stories and villians of DC are so easily discarded? It's so DC can keep this dumb Superman is Uber thing going. I loved the story with The Quantum Mechanics who had zealots and all that. That was so wonderful. Why did they all have to die? and What did the wonderworld have to be destroyed? Those 100ft super Heroes had so much potential. And why are the New GODs so damn weak? Marvel is good because of it's villians.

complexbrother
^^^ I agree

ST0RM SHAD0W
An alien who crashes in Kansas, but looks just like humans? I can not relate to that at all.

You're using the wrong example.

Nobody can relate to that.

Superboy Prime
I agree with the villains point.

MJOILNIR
Ill admit Im a Marvel fan. I like DC as well but have always been drawn to marvels characters more. I actually use to like Supes, way back but dc has turned me into a Supes hater.

Juntai
Originally posted by MJOILNIR
Ill admit Im a Marvel fan. I like DC as well but have always been drawn to marvels characters more. I actually use to like Supes, way back but dc has turned me into a Supes hater. Because he's powerful and in the spotlight?

Fanboy
I like Marvel and all but the thing that annoys me is how they keep killing people off and them brings them back to life or shunts off storys that no one ever even mentions later on in other story lines in its own comic series.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.