Davy Jones' locker

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mondenschein
well, I watched the first movie again, English version, and I was really astonished that Davy Jones was mentioned 2 times blink
(it's not in the German version ^^)

1) Will (on the Black Pearl making the bargain with Barbossa to free Liz) : ... Or I'll pull that trigger and be down in Davy Jones' locker!

2) Pintel (telling Will the story of Bootstrap Bill): Last we saw of old Bill Turner, he was sinking into the crushin' black oblivion of Davy Jones' locker.

sooo, here comes my question:

Davy Jones is a general known synoym for the sea itself? rolling on floor laughing

So if I was Will I wouldn't be very surprised to find my father on Davy Jones' ship when he was sent to Davy Jones locker before ^^

confusing thing... for me, aye big grin

SteiniDJ
Davy Jones locker is a idiom for the bottom of the sea - The resting place of dead seamen. (Wikipedia).

Davy Jones is a nickname used by sailors of old, for what could be the devil of the seas.

Infinity

jdl1224
that's really weird its not in the german version.

but i guess it just like a name. like when people are lost to the sea they call it davy jones locker. they didnt know it was necessarily a place. ilke when jack asks will in the 2nd one 'how much do you know about davy jones?' and he said 'not much' he obviously didnt know it was a place, so i guess it wouldnt occur to him that his father would be there. plus, i doubt he'd recognize him since he died when he was so young, he wouldnt really remember him.

LovelyOne
There wass a whole legend back then of Davy Jones..being in control of the sea or something like that..so if you died at sea you would be lost to his sea...if that make sense confused

mondenschein
hmmm...
thank you all ^^

diddly-dum
I'm wondering,... How did the name "Davy Jones" come into play??
I mean back then they could have also called it something else, like 'seaman's abyss' or 'Jone's navy of the sea'
Anyways, WHY DAVY JONES???

jdl1224
idk, just a myth. theres proally some reason for it. go research.

diddly-dum
I'll wait til skool starts. Besides who knows what they'll make me look up!! lol

jdl1224
haha. i'm with you there.
thats all that time is good for.

researching pirates. <3

diddly-dum
to tell the truth we actualy read about pirates one day in History!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.