Tips, gratuities, etc.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

docb77
Yesterday I got myself a $12 Fantastic Sam's haircut. Pretty much the only place I feel obligated to tip is in a sit down and get served restaurant. Am I wrong? Should I tip the Fantastic Sam's and Great Clips girls? How much do they make anyways? I'm guessing that it is more than the 2.13 that servers make at restaurants.

When is a tip necessary? When is what you pay good enough?

debbiejo
That is how they make most of their money, just as waitress are paid under wage. In hair Style places some have to rent their chairs....

PVS
of coarse you should tip them. just because restaurants pay slave wages doesnt justify not tipping the hairdresser.

docb77
See, and I always thought that that the tip was just a way of saying good job. If it was just another haircut... Well, they're getting their base pay. If they cut my hair really fast, and I look good afterwards, then I would definitely tip.

debbiejo
They don't make min. wage though...they depend on those tips...

Dr. Zaius
Yeah, unless they totally screw up your hair, you tip.

Shakyamunison
I tip according to the service:

Great service gets 20%
Standard service gets 15%
Pore service gets 10%

But I never get my hair cut, I cut it myself.

PVS
yeah, we can tell

docb77
What about the pizza delivery guy. Having been one, I know they make at least minimum wage + gas expenses. tip them?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PVS
yeah, we can tell

How can you tell? stick out tongue I have a hat on all of my photos.

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by docb77
What about the pizza delivery guy. Having been one, I know they make at least minimum wage + gas expenses. tip them?

I always do. Usually $2.

Storm
Over here, service charge is always included and tipping is usually not expected. It is optional, and only given as a sign of appreciation.

Soleran
Tips for chicks that cut my hair are commiserate with the amount of cleavage revealed during the hair cut.

Dr. Zaius
Ha Ha! Never had a hot chick cut my hair, but you're right. Nice cleavage would definitely up the ante! Good call, Soleran.

What if she gave really good shampoo? Even more tip?

botankus

The next time you go into a Domino's and look at the people running around, scrambling to take orders and make the pizzas behind the counter...then look at the driver's quietly shuffling in and out the side door, grabbing 2 orders' worth and bolting. Those drivers are making twice as much money.

Soleran
Originally posted by Dr. Zaius
Ha Ha! Never had a hot chick cut my hair, but you're right. Nice cleavage would definitely up the ante! Good call, Soleran.

What if she gave really good shampoo? Even more tip?

There's a place in town that just opened shop, you get a shoe shine, chair massage, 2 shampoos 42 inch plasma (while getting hair cut) bunch of smokin hot chicks all in uniforms that are red bottoms, black tops.....................skin tight low cut (90% of the girls look really good) 25$ for with a [email protected]

Now I make sure to keep my haircut twice a month! Too Hotties is the name of the place and its run by three guys, just awesome!

Oh and 25cent pool games on an 8foot table if there is a wait, and darts, and free root beer. Its so worth a good tip!

Afro Cheese
Yeah you always tip hair dressers unless they really mess you up.

For delivery guys i tip but not nearly as well as waitresses and hair dressers.. just throw a couple of dollars on the end and have em keep the change, don't have to worry about percentages or anything like that.

botankus
Originally posted by Soleran
There's a place in town that just opened shop, you get a shoe shine, chair massage, 2 shampoos 42 inch plasma (while getting hair cut) bunch of smokin hot chicks all in uniforms that are red bottoms, black tops.....................skin tight low cut (90% of the girls look really good) 25$ for with a [email protected]

Now I make sure to keep my haircut twice a month! Too Hotties is the name of the place and its run by three guys, just awesome!

Oh and 25cent pool games on an 8foot table if there is a wait, and darts, and free root beer. Its so worth a good tip!
I'll have to come and visit. I just got my hair cut by an 18-year old. Unfortunately, it was my sister-in-law.

Dr. Zaius

Where do you live? In Xanadu?

This sounds like a wet dream I once had...except that the root beer was acutally beer.

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by botankus
I'll have to come and visit. I just got my hair cut by an 18-year old. Unfortunately, it was my sister-in-law.

Is she hot?

botankus
Yes, but she's my sister-in-law, so no.

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by botankus
Yes, but she's my sister-in-law, so no.

You might be able to get around that little problem if you lived in West Virgina.

PVS
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
How can you tell? stick out tongue I have a hat on all of my photos.

here's a 'tip' for you: ditch the flowbee eek!

botankus
You might be able to get around that little problem if you lived in West Virgina.
'Tis only a few hours away.

PVS

i always tip delivery people. especially if they deliver heavy packages like furniture, mattresses etc, i tip very well.

Soleran
Surprisingly this haircut shop is in Springfield, MO.

Missouri of all places, more importantly all the girls there have their teeth and mullets aren't allowed in the front door. However if you drive an 80's model camaro you do get a discount!

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by PVS
i always tip delivery people. especially if they deliver heavy packages like furniture, mattresses etc, i tip very well.

Are you talking just money, or do you include other little extras?

PVS

i wasnt refering to money. i just give them the courtesy of a reach around

botankus
Well, if they're delivering a mattress, you've already got one part taken care of.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PVS
here's a 'tip' for you: ditch the flowbee eek!

I have never used one. I cut my hair as short as possible, 1/8". big grin

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by PVS
i wasnt refering to money. i just give them the courtesy of a reach around

No wonder they keep coming back for more!

Dr. Zaius
Surprisingly this haircut shop is in Springfield, MO.

Missouri of all places, more importantly all the girls there have their teeth and mullets aren't allowed in the front door. However if you drive an 80's model camaro you do get a discount!

I'm there! Can you make reservations?

PVS
I have never used one. I cut my hair as short as possible, 1/8". big grin

thats not a hair cut. anyone can take a clipper and buzz their hair off.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PVS
thats not a hair cut. anyone can take a clipper and buzz their hair off.

Whatever. roll eyes (sarcastic) I like it, and I never have to tip any hair stylist.

PVS
Whatever. roll eyes (sarcastic) I like it, and I never have to tip any hair stylist.

whatever indeed. clipping and cutting are two entirely different things. one takes skill and training while the other requires a hand and a power outlet.
as for me, i just decided to grow my hair long. never have to worry about a bad haircut.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PVS
whatever indeed. clipping and cutting are two entirely different things. one takes skill and training while the other requires a hand and a power outlet.
as for me, i just decided to grow my hair long. never have to worry about a bad haircut.

What in the world are you talking about? confused I never said anything about skill. I think you are just trolling.

PVS

you don't. thats not trolling. its fact. thats like saying you know how to cook, because you can pop a tv dinner in the microwave.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PVS
you don't. thats not trolling. its fact. thats like saying you know how to cook, because you can pop a tv dinner in the microwave.

I don't care about that. It is called semantics. It is always wrong to argue over semantics.

PVS
I don't care about that. It is called semantics. It is always wrong to argue over semantics.

but what if the topic of discussion is 'semantics'?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PVS

Well, start a thread. big grin

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by PVS

Or the semantics of a question concerning semantics...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PVS

What I find interesting is that you don't cut your hair for the same reason I clip it all off. Too many bad hair cuts big grin

But back to tips

PVS
i just said that as a joke. actually i have a barber in my family who does an exceptional job (and for free). really i just wanted to grow my hair long.

Capt_Fantastic
Yesterday I got myself a $12 Fantastic Sam's haircut. Pretty much the only place I feel obligated to tip is in a sit down and get served restaurant. Am I wrong? Should I tip the Fantastic Sam's and Great Clips girls? How much do they make anyways? I'm guessing that it is more than the 2.13 that servers make at restaurants.

When is a tip necessary? When is what you pay good enough?

In my experience it's almost always appropriate to tip someone who performs a service. Not the cable guy or the machanic. Here's what I do:

Resturants -always, unless it's a fast food resturant

Hair -always, be it a $12 haircut or a $50 hair cut

Hotels -pretty much everyone except the person who checks you in. guy who gets your bags out of the car and hails cabs, the concierge, room service, etc

Taxi or limo drivers

Bartenders

Coat check personnel

And if they've performed their job with any measure of competence then I over tip.

John!attheDisco
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
In my experience it's almost always appropriate to tip someone who performs a service. Not the cable guy or the machanic. Here's what I do:

Hotels -pretty much everyone except the person who checks you in. guy who gets your bags out of the car and hails cabs, the concierge, room service, etc

Taxi or limo drivers

Bartenders

Coat check personnel

And if they've performed their job with any measure of competence then I over tip.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic

Taxi or limo drivers

Bartenders

Coat check personnel

And if they've performed their job with any measure of competence then I over tip. I agree... not a cable guy, or plumber or any service guy.....I don't take taxi's, but if a friend gives me a ride, I might buy her a coffee latte.. big grin ....not really bartenders....nah......though many times, I just say keep the change....Now with hair cuts with the extras, I usually give an extra $10.00.....That way, they know to do well, if not, then next time I try someone else.........they talk and know I'm a good tipper........they want my business... cool

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.