Swapshop

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mechmoggy
Okay, those of you who witnessed mine and Tex's music discussion will know that this is a thread in which we can advise each others next CD purchases.

I got Tex to buy "The Melting Pot" by the Charlatans and he told me to get "Vespertine" by Bjork. Kinda embarrased to say my local CD retailer didn't have that in stock but I'm trying somewhere else over the coming weekend.

I did buy "The Last Broadcast" by Doves and "The Coral" by The Coral today. Love the Doves but haven't been able to afford it until today. The Coral however, are a band I've heard only a little of but what I have heard I've really liked.

I think I know some ya'll different music tastes and The Coral sounds like something JediOasis would enjoy.

finti
Red Hot Chillie Peppers - By the Way
Bruce Springsteen - Rising

actually two good new cd`s

Bob Marley - One Love The Very Best Of Bob Marley and The Wailers

also on cdnow.com you can get a prieview listening to albums you are adviced to buy, this way you can see if it is worth buying

Tex
Didn't have 'Vespertine' in stock?
What an outrage!!

It must of been sold out eh? cool

Bad Boy
Is Noel Edmonds hosting this?

LaurenE147
Bjork? Sold out? laughing laughing laughing laughing

Tex
Here's a little present for you!
http://www.bjork.com/db/images/bjork-newpromoshoot04.jpg

BackFire349
dredg- leitmotif

finti
Hey guys and girls this is a seriouse attempt by Mech to keep a music changing thingy thread. Cut the crap thing or I am gonna delete all bullshit replys

LaurenE147
Sorry. *shuffles feet apologetically*

I reccomend the Moulin Rouge Soundtrack. It's the best.

mechmoggy
laughing out loud

That was a joke right Lauren?

Anyhoo..... The Coral album is good, it sounds like 60's music at times with a psychedelia element in there too. Mrs.MM's nan has got Legend by Bob Marley Finti, I'm gonna go borrow it in the week. I have heard it before and liked it so I'm sure I enjoy listening to it.

What I do need right now is some harder music to listen to whilst I work out. I usually listen to Oasis, Linkin Park, Smashing Pumpkins or The Strokes. All have the kind of pace and aggression needed to work out to, I have been told by people to buy "The Vines" album but I haven't heard enough of it to make a purchase yet. Mrs.MM is close to buying the Chilli Peppers album soon which should save me some dosh.

finti
This Bob marley I mentioned is better than legend cause you get a bonus cd with less known Bob M songs , it is just a killer.
on a dice 6 out of 6 smile

Tex
just to set an example:
edited by FINTI. now keep it to musical replys and musical replys only

mechmoggy
Easy Tiger, Finti's just passionate about his music and threads related to good music.

Hows the Charlatans album sounding the more you listen to it? There was a programme on late night telly last night about thier homecoming gig. It was great to hear the band tell stories of thier drummer who was sent down for armed robbery and then died in a car crash later after his release. They also talked about thier accountant screwing them for large sums of cash, who incidently is now also doing time, and how that experience led them to write "Judas" which is on the latest "Wonderland" album. Tim Burgess is a god. cool

Tex
Well I've listened to it twice now, and really the first track is the best one. For a big band the sound is just to light and fluffy.
I need some bass! cool

finti
They say that Radiohead is the hottest of those Brit bands, not too keen on radiohead myself since they are in my opinion overrated. Supergrass though are good, and so is Coldplay

mah
okidoki...so anyone want to swap cd's?

mechmoggy
Radiohead are kewl, I love the albums "The Bends" and "OK Computer" but I didn't buy the last album cus they didn't release a single from it and explained that it couldn't be split up into seperate pieces as it was a complete work etc. Sounded like they'd disappeared up thier own arses a little so I didn't buy it.

The Bends has enough rock in there for Tex to enjoy I believe, the songs "Just" and "My iron lung" are really good rock tunes and I still count "High & Dry" as one of my all time favourite tracks.

Coldplay aren't Tex's cup of tea though, too soft methinks. I love the album "Parachutes" and cannot wait to buy the new album.

mah
buy some norwegian black-metal, tex, that shouldn't be too soft for you

Mujaffa
turboneger............the best metall in norway.....i think.... :shy:

Orpheus
I'm currently listening to a load a music, I'm in the process of upgrading my Hi-Fi kit.

My current favourites are
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - By the Way
Dido - No Angel

I'm probably going to audition "The Last Broadcast" by Doves tommorow.

finti
By the way as in the song or the entire album, if the song only get the entire album cause it is besting Californiacation which was an awsome albume IMHO

LaurenE147
Travis is good.

Ushgarak
Travis is damn good!

Orpheus
I've got the whole album

mechmoggy
Travis is okay, the Stereophonics are better. Thier albums have a good mix of harder rocking and slow songs IMO.

I'm really enjoying the Doves album, if anyone out there liked the singles "There goes the fear" and the new one "Pounding", I suggest this as your next purchase. cool

mechmoggy
Just got Vespertine Tex, I'm listening to it as I type this message. It sounds true to her usual form, quite atmospheric and moody.

If this is your bag, do you own "Mezzanine" by Massive Attack? Its another oldy I'm afraid but there's some real chill out classics on there like "Angel" and "Teardrop".

mah
I love chill out. massive attack was it?

finti
Unfinished Sympathy by Massive Attack rules, Shara Nelson has the vocal part and it can be found on their 1991 album Blue Lines

ToMacco
finti, is Rising Bruce Springstein's new one?

finti
yes it was relesed on july 30th 2002, I am no Bruce fan at all, but this one was nice and relaxing. Just the kind I need after work on Saturdays. Crash on the bed with my cd walkman and shut everything but music out.

queeq
Even Live?

finti
she is out palying at that time anyways so I can listen to my music

mechmoggy
Its gone straight to No.1 in the album chart over here, not going to buy it myself though.

Yes Mah, Massive Attack and the albums called "Mezzanine". Its quite old so you may get it it cheap. If you want a taste of what its like, listen to the music playing in the film "Snatch", when Mickey's mom's caravan is on fire. Very kewl.

mah
been awhile since I saw snatch, didnt think about the music then.
I'll pick it up if I find it, or at least download a song on mp3.

finti
If you got the chance Mah, chop at Platekompaniet

mah
yeah, when I'm in bergen or any other bigger city I'll check

Palanfirith
I prefer using mp3 and after that burn them on audio CD's but I still buy CD's(from once in a while).
Metallica:Garage INC

Tex
That's pretty much what I do.
Those mini CD-R are very usefull when you want to burn a couple of songs, beats wasting an entire 80min one.
And they fit in your pocket cool

mah
do they play on all cd-players?

Palanfirith
There are also some small CD-players special designed for that model of cd.

mah
dont think so, no

Tex
They play in all CD players, that little O in your CD tray, that's what it's for. They'll play in walkmans too. Just not in your car. Learned that the hard way. :shy:

mah
well there's none of those 'O's on the computers cd player is it?

Palanfirith
I have a TEAC and I have an O

mah
well actually now that I checked I found the 'O'

mechmoggy
Going slightly off topic people. roll eyes (sarcastic)

finti
let it pass for now mad any postings that are not about "swaping" music WILL BE DELETED

mah
okay, I reccomend everyone to run out and buy Nightwish's new album, Century Child

finti
hmm ....symphonic goth-metal band from Finland, I think I pass. Metallica is the "hardest" I am listening to. Goth is not my alley, I know the band memebers in Theatre Of Tragedy. They have the same rehearshall studio as my friend, their music nah

mah
mm, yea, maybe not to everyones taste.

finti
Bought the Very Best of RAINBOW last week. Old heros been a long time since I listen to RAinbow it was really a trip down memory lane

mechmoggy
Jeez Rainbow, haven't heard them in years, I've got some Rainbow cassettes somewhere in the loft. I'll try and find them and have a listen. A friend of my dads recorded them for me years ago along with a load of Zepplin.

The hardest stuff I'm listening to at the moment is the Cooper Temple Clause album "see this through and leave". Quite hard in places and some songs do sound like early Oasis tunes, which is never a bad thing.

mah
so, has there been any actual swapping?

mechmoggy
Well I went out and bought "Vespertine" by Bjork, which was Tex's suggestion and he went out and bought "The Melting Pot" by the Charlatans which was mine. Other than that, no.

Fancy taking your chances Mah, I've already suggested Massive Attack's "Mezzanine" for you. Is there anything you've recently bought which I may appreciate? (please remember my music taste doesn't include "The Streets"wink.

finti
Buy some Rainbow, Whitesnake(the older stuff). take some trips down memory lane

mechmoggy
I've done the rock thing as a youth Finti, and I'm trying to keep to records released in the last 5 years. You know my music taste though, I like guitar music, some dance and chill out stuff and even a bit (only a bit mind) of R&B.

We need to find some common ground here Finti, whats been on your recent buying list?

finti
I bought these within the last two weeks

One love- the very best of Bob Marley and the Wailers
The Very best of Rainbow
The best of Steely Dan Then and Now
Depeche Mode the singles 81-85
Depeche Mode the singles 86-98
Kiss-Unmasked
Metallica -Master and Puppets
The Who-Tommy(digital remastered)-
The Who-Live at Leeds (digital remastered delux edition)
The Who-Who are You
Judas Priest- Metal Works 73-93
Bernad Jenkins(local band and firends of mine)-Now &Then
By the way -Red Hot Chili Peppers
Bruce Springsteen- Rising
I'm trying to keep to records released in the last 5 years. /QUOTE] In my mind there haven`t been many great releases the last 5 years, so I have too look for the older stuff

mah

Thomas H
Royksopps newest song rocks, so does the movie!

finti

mechmoggy
Okay dokey, I'll buy it next week Mah.

Depeche Mode Finti, I'm impressed. I think we've found some common ground here. Also I've got all the Metallica albums up to the black album cover one.

How about you listen to some tracks from Radiohead's "The Bends" or Cooper Temple Clause's "See this through and leave". If you like one of them, I'll pick up one off your list.

finti
My friend have all of the Radiohead albums.
WHen we are at his place drinking he allways put on radiohead, and I allways turn it off

mah
mech, I found Mezzanine on the local today already, listened through it twice. only track I'd heard before was Teardrop.
have to say, the album's really great, some dark dirty tunes and some great guest-vocals. all the tracks are good really, but my favourites so far is Man Next Door, and Group Four. thanks for the tip, mint!

mechmoggy
Angel is probably my fave, along with Teardrop of course.

How about Cooper Temple Clause then Finti, or even The Coral. Download some tunes and listen to see if you like them.

mah
now that I've listened to it more, I think the 2 first tracks,Angel and Risingson are also among the best.

mechmoggy
Its an ideal album to put on as background music when people come round to see you. Top notch.

finti
heard some and ... not my stuff so no.

Next cd`s to add to my collection is gonna be Bruce Springsteens Greetings From Asbury Park NJ and Nebraska. John Cougar Mellencamp`s Uh-Huh and Scarecrow also gonna get Blues Travellers Four

mechmoggy
Jeepers, we're really struggling here aren't we. Errrr do you like Oasis type music, how about the Stone Roses. The album "The Complete Stone Roses" is a treasure trove of classic music.

finti
I like Stone Roses, Oasis though. Dont really see what the hype around this band is. They are overrated, the brothers are indeed rude morons who think too much about themselves.
Stone Roses was cool though, just face it Mech we dont share the same musical taste. Nothing to do about that. You sadi yourself you are trying to by releases that aint older than 5 years old.
Me, I have a hard time bying stuff younger than at least 15 years old,
Jeff Buckley and Supergrass being the exception here

mechmoggy
Do you own the "Complete Stone Roses" album then? If you buy that, I'll go in search of Jeff Buckley. Deal?

LaurenE147
What's the best Counting Crows CD? I'm thinking about getting into them.

finti
oh but I have the Complete Stone Roses , we discussed that album some time ago. Jeff Buckley s album is called Grace. If you got a chance listen to it before buying it, he has become a cult item mainly because he drowned in 1997. Dead artist seems to grow after their death

mah
''Recovering the Satellites''. I dont like their latest album but that one's good.

mechmoggy
Sorry Finti, my memory is quite poor.

How about Ocean Colour Scene's "Moseley Shoals" album, thats good and old enough for you to like it. Got a great mix of slow and hard tunes on that one. Plus the guitarist, Steve Craddock, has been on many a Paul Weller and Oasis album. cool

Thane Zereil
hmm swapshop apart from advice can we use this place to trade stuff as well? I have loads of junk to swap

finti
music only big grin make a new thread and call it junkyard (ord mantrell) or something

mechmoggy
Or "Zereil's Unwanted Gift Emporium", I like the sound of that.

Indeed.

LaurenE147
Watto's Junkshop?

mechmoggy
How about that album then Finti?

And how about you Lauren, give me some "sound" music advice.

finti
old enough? it is from 1996

mechmoggy
You'll like it, I assure you. What Jeff Buckley album do you suggest I get?

finti
Grace - Jeff Buckley, and it will grow on you
I talk to the cd store guys today and I have to order the cd.
Sneak listen too it on Cdnow and it sounds ok.

LaurenE147
Matchbox 20's mad season. I know it's mainstream but htere is not a bad song on it. numbers 2, 3, 6, 12, and 13

mechmoggy
Give me some background here Lauren, its not mainstream over here. What type of music is it and what type of album of my choosing are you gonna want to buy?

Mrs.MM has nicked my bank card Finti so I'll have to buy yours and Mah's choice tomorrow (hopefully).

finti
You have a smart wife there Mech

LaurenE147
I'm into rock. Not metal.

finti
then you should listen to the older stuff off Deep Purple

mechmoggy
Agreed, or Led Zepplin. cool

finti
and Black Sabbath, Rainbow big grin ,Whitesnake, Allman Brothers..

mechmoggy
Black Sabbath for sure but Whitesnake! sick

I'm playing The Coral album mostly at the moment. cool

finti
The older Whirtesnake, before the 1987 album

mechmoggy
I prefer my rock a little heavier, try some Sepultura for size.

mah
their 'Roots' is da bomb!

finti
overrated

mechmoggy
Do you remember "Metal Church" Finti?

I also liked Anthrax quite a lot when I was younger too. (Thats the group not the livestock killer, obviously roll eyes (sarcastic) )

mah
so have you bought any of the cd's you were to buy, mech?

mechmoggy
Okay guys, a little slow I know but at this very moment I'm listening to Jeff Buckley's "Grace" album and I've also bought that "Melody AM" album too.

JB is quite a mellow album, I could imagine listening to this while reading or chilling out. Melody AM is super kewl Mah, that 1st track is on an advert over here but I can't quite remember which one yet. Mrs.MM heard that album once and has nicked it and is claiming it as her own.

I also bought the new Coldplay album on Tuesday but I haven't had chance to listen to it yet cause' I've been listening to all your suggestions instead! roll eyes (sarcastic)

For my next CD purchase I'm thinking of buying The Vines and 100 reasons. The 1st cause' I've heard good things about it and the 2nd cause' they won best album at the Kerrang awards (I think). Anyone got either of these and fancy giving me the low down?

finti
Yes JB is quite good when you chill out after a stressful day, and belive me Mech it will grow on you.
Ask for the Ocean Colour Scene's at the store, they said that ordered import cds might take up to three!!!!!! months to get here. So I just have to check in every now and then. Great way for them to sell me other stuff while waiting stick out tongue

mechmoggy
I'm waiting for "Strange and Beautiful" by Aqualung to come out. Its that really kewl song from the VW Beetle advert but there hasn't been a release date set for it yet. mad

Coldplay's new album "A rush of blood to the head" is good, just like the last one was. smokin'

mah
yea, Melody AM is kewl, good to sit back and relax to

finti
why not Jethro Tulls Aqualung big grin it is great

mah
btw mech, I think it's the T-Mobile advert.

mechmoggy
I'll keep an eye out for it Mah.

Have you ever heard of Ocean Colour Scene Finti? I'd be suprised if you haven't, they were quite big over here for a while. They're from B'ham too. smokin'

finti
oh I heard of them allright, but it seems to be hard to get there cd`s though, but i have ordered the Moseley Shoals album. Can take a while to get it sad Just have to pop in an ask every now and then

mechmoggy
Steve Craddock, the guitarist in OCS, used to play with Paul Weller and he was on an Oasis album too. PW is one of my fave artists of all time, except that dodgy phase he went through with the Style Council, have you got any Weller Finti? Or The Jam either?

finti
Jams greatest hits, soooooo you dont like Style Council huh? big grin

"I could be discontent and chase the rainbows end
I might win much more but lose all that is mine;
I could be a lot but I know I'm not
I'm content just with the riches that you bring."- Style Councils "Youre the best thing"

big grin

mechmoggy
The Jam are kewl, kids today should be made to listen to old albums in school.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.