Why didn't Ani just walk up to Obi instead of somersaulting over him?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JaehSkywalker
That was so stupid!

Blaxican Hydra
Because hes a flashy, immature kid whose over confident in his own powers.

Ushgarak
Because the whole point was that Obi-Wan was in too good a position there.

Anakin thought he coukd 'cheat' that by sommersaulting behind- but aparently not.

JaehSkywalker
but it's still sorta stupid..

i mean, he could fight obi from there, then just turn around slowly till he's on the higher ground and force him over.. erm

Ushgarak
Well evidently no he couldn't. The whole set-up was Anakin's arrogance making him think he could bypass Obi-Wan's superior position. There is no point you saying he could 'just' have done anything. If he could have done he would.

JaehSkywalker
ok. agreed. but it's still stupid.

Council#13
The ground was unstable. You saw how Anakin tried grasping at it but it crumbled. Maybe he could have hopped up there, not allowing the ground to fall apart beneath him, but he would have been stopped at the top, and the ground would have slid from under him. Or he was attempting to use a massive smash down at Obi-Wan's head, using the brute force that was Djem-So's signature move.

steverules
In an alternate ending on the game, he blocks obi wan and then put's his lighsabre through him

Council#13
no expression

Neat! eek!

steverules
Yeah, it was ok. I'll try and find the video

overlord
You should look at Yoda, that one is stupid..

J.M FcThumbs-Up
A simple answer for a simple question>>>experience, nothing more to it.
No bullshit explanation!

Blue_Hefner
Well there lava between them so he could exactly walk over to Obi Wan.

JaehSkywalker
Originally posted by overlord
You should look at Yoda, that one is stupid..

how? when? where?

overlord
Yoda pointlessly twirling around Dooku in all kinds of ways.
I swore Yoda could have been slashed in the back a dozen times.

His way of dueling didn't seem effective at all, only showy.

JaehSkywalker
maybe...

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Originally posted by overlord
Yoda pointlessly twirling around Dooku in all kinds of ways.
I swore Yoda could have been slashed in the back a dozen times.

His way of dueling didn't seem effective at all, only showy.

Yoda was toying with Dooku although it does look funny sometimes.
In Jedi/Sith terms>There is no such thing as slashing in the back.
You've got to remind that there is a thing called Jedi-sense as in sensing the opponents movements(with a lightsaber).
If slashing in the back was so easy, then Vader could've slashed Palps on numerous occasions.
The slashing part comes when an opponent is at the end of it's energy in combat and is caught off balance, mostly that would be the defeating part of combat(well, at least for one of the combatants).
To get Yoda off balance you have to be something more than Dooku in my oppinion.

overlord
Yoda's a clown, prancing around, jumping over Dooku and shit. What's that all about. How are you successfully gonna defend yourself while doing something like that in reality of swordfighting?

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Council#13
The ground was unstable. You saw how Anakin tried grasping at it but it crumbled. Maybe he could have hopped up there, not allowing the ground to fall apart beneath him, but he would have been stopped at the top, and the ground would have slid from under him. Or he was attempting to use a massive smash down at Obi-Wan's head, using the brute force that was Djem-So's signature move.

Co-singed.

That makes the most sense, as to why he wouldn't just step off the platform and walk up the little hill.

SnakeEyes
If I were Anakin, I would have still leapt, but I would have leapt to the side or something. Not directly over Obi-Wan.

SpyCspider
yea they can Force jump an entire story (TPM), but not over another's head?

i wonder why Obiwan didn't just Force-push Anakin when he lept, so he would've fallen right into the lava....come to think of it, they could've done that A LOT during those scenes. And it would've been funny.

cking
it would have turned out to be a pinball game instead.

exanda kane
I thought the whole thing about Obi-Wan being in too good a position was that Lucas couldn't think of a decent way to end the duel.

Sadako of Girth
The purpose of that move would have been to land beyond Obi-Wan's field of vision (behind him).
Its basic stuff. You cant defend yourself against something you can't see is the mode of thought that Anakin seemed to be in.

Only Obi-wan, being more experienced than Anakin nailed him as he knew what he was trying. We the audience knew it. Obi-wan knew it.
Anakin being so twisted by anger and arrogance failed to acknowlege it.
And then he got all maimed up.
stick out tongue

smoker4
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
The purpose of that move would have been to land beyond Obi-Wan's field of vision (behind him).
Its basic stuff. You cant defend yourself against something you can't see is the mode of thought that Anakin seemed to be in.

Only Obi-wan, being more experienced than Anakin nailed him as he knew what he was trying. We the audience knew it. Obi-wan knew it.
Anakin being so twisted by anger and arrogance failed to acknowlege it.
And then he got all maimed up.
stick out tongue

I concur with the interloper smokin'

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Originally posted by smoker4
I concur with the interloper smokin'

Well spoken my friend...have a smoke! big grin

smoker4
Danke, passes the blunt smokin'

PVS
its probably been said, but if so ill repeat:

its known from RC, i believe, that anakin is weak when his opponent has the high ground. so for him to run up to obiwan would have been suicide. he had only 2 choices:

1-find a way to gain the high ground

or

2-give up

he chose 1 and got turned into kindling. hope that helps

Jam-Jul_Lison
Originally posted by PVS

its known from RC, i believe, that anakin is weak when his opponent has the high ground. so for him to run up to obiwan would have been suicide. he had only 2 choices:

or

2-give up

There is a third option. Which we see in Return of the Jedi. Hurl your lightsaber at them. lol.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by PVS

or

2-give up

Indeed. So many reasons to actually attack that way might bring the more relevant question of "why would anyone in their right mind or otherwise attack in any other way".... stick out tongue

Good to see you all again btw...

*Tokes and passes*

drwerwer
Anakin somersaulted over him because hes cocky from having so much raw power and he likes to be showy to show how good he is. Think about it if you were a great basketball player would you rather just dunk a ball normally or try dunking it fancy to show off how good you are. Although he wasn't trying to showoff to Obi he was just so use to being fancy it had just becime a habit of being showy and whats more showy somersaulting or walking up to someone and starting a fight.

drwerwer
So basicly His cockiness cost him three limbs.

chinabing
Actually, I wish we had a better view of the leap, fall and dismemberment. Super-slo-motioning it, it's still so dark, and the angle is so oblique, and the edits are so quick you just can't completely see everything, (which I know, I know, was by design).

I want John Madden there, circling on the telestrater, going "Now here, Bam! That's where Skywalker made his first mistake. He shoulda fallen feet-first, saber down to block Obi-Wan."

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Indeed. So many reasons to actually attack that way might bring the more relevant question of "why would anyone in their right mind or otherwise attack in any other way".... stick out tongue

Good to see you all again btw...

*Tokes and passes*

Same here...... smokin'

Darth Acheous
I think he should have force-pulled Obi-wan and jumped at the same time holding out his saber and then Killed palps to rule the galaxy and take me as his apprentice!

Obi-Wan Kenobi'
coz he wuz impotent

nekon
it wass becuesa obi awn wa s geogrpahical sprerior to enekon.

overlord
Originally posted by chinabing
Actually, I wish we had a better view of the leap, fall and dismemberment. Super-slo-motioning it, it's still so dark, and the angle is so oblique, and the edits are so quick you just can't completely see everything, (which I know, I know, was by design).

I want John Madden there, circling on the telestrater, going "Now here, Bam! That's where Skywalker made his first mistake. He shoulda fallen feet-first, saber down to block Obi-Wan." You know.. Anakin should just have been beaten in the fight and getting dismembered, then fall to burn somewhere, maybe even that Kenobi can't see Anakin anymore to conclude he is dead. Instead of Anakin jumping on a hot slope.
Originally posted by nekon
it wass becuesa obi awn wa s geogrpahical sprerior to enekon. Wait, can you spell that again? I don't get it.

Council#13
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Co-singed.

That makes the most sense, as to why he wouldn't just step off the platform and walk up the little hill.

I'll take it you agree with me cool

Captain REX
Council#13 put it more elaborately but best, as did Ush but more simply.

Anakin couldn't do anything else. Jump to the side? I'm sure Kenobi could have moved to intercept him rather easily by sidestepping or jogging down the bank with little effort.

zephiel7
Not to intrude, but if Anakin truly was the superiour to Obi Wan, couldn't he of just used his uber-leet force powers to launch Kenobi away. This would have given him enough space to jump to a more favourable position.

PVS
it was never implied that anakin was 'uber-leet'. he had the potential to be, but he did not meet that potential. yoda told kenobi that palps was too powerful for him, yet sent him to fight anakin. so it was no secret that anakin was not all he could have been.

Sith Master X
We'll I'd imagine that if Anakin tried walking up to Kenobi, that sand would have been awefully hot by the lava bank. That's what set him on fire.

But the reason quite simply, it just looks cooler to do a flip on film. Yeah, Anakin could have walked up to Obi-Wan, but how dramatic would that have been? Star Wars is all about the fancy stuff.

It's just like TPM. The Gungans had projectile weapons, so why didn't they fire them at the droids while they were taking 5 minutes to activate? Cause simply, there's no drama to that.

Lord Saboteur
Originally posted by zephiel7
Not to intrude, but if Anakin truly was the superiour to Obi Wan, couldn't he of just used his uber-leet force powers to launch Kenobi away. This would have given him enough space to jump to a more favourable position. Simple, Anakin at that point was completely consumed by his rage and couldn't think clearly on anything but gutting Kenobi with his saber. So instead of taking a risky bout of testing the sands, he leapt over Obi-Wan Keninja and got WTF owned by the man who knew what he was about to pull off.

Sith Lord Windu
i agree that SW is about drama, fancy moves and anakin being a cocky s-h-i-t. i was reading earlier and someone said that yoda fights stupid (jumping and prancing), in his defense, he is (unofficially) versed in ataru, which uses flips and twirls to the wielders advantage, making it harder for him to be hit. anyway, he was described as the wiset being in the galaxy when he was alive, so let him do as he pleases.

coolmovies
He thought he was smarter then obi wan but he was wrong and paid the price

JaehSkywalker
still stupid... no he could've.. thought about it for a sec or two.. right?

PVS
it was a stupid move, simply because he had already used it to trick obiwan when jumping on the platform. obiwan wasnt about to get fooled twice and thats how he saw it coming. he knew before anakin even jumped, as you can clearly see.

in itself though, the move was smart and perhaps the only move he could execute. had obiwan not seen it coming, he would have pulled it off. thats why obiwan said "dont try it". he saw it before on the platform so he know.

dont apply your own pseudo-logic on fictional weaponry to the duel to make nonsense out of it. it made perfect sense and was explained clearly, however briefly.

yettoh
in the revenge of the sith game at last lvl if u play as anakin obi wan misses anakin anakin lands behind him and back stabs him i guess thats what he intended to do

Tangible God
If Anakin were smart he'd have pulled a quick Force-choke out of his arrogant ass and yanked Obi-Wan into the lava.

But he's not smart, so he gave us three sequels.

yettoh
guess he wants to show off a bit by jumping futher then obi and killing him at the same time hes over confident

yettoh
mybe like this starwars

lord_radar1
I think it is a combination of the two most likely theories posted here:

1. He was consumed by hate and anger and wanted to stike Obi Wan down with great prejudice.

2. His position was such that the only opening he had was to get behind Obi Wan and the only efficient method he had was to jump over him.

A simple response to all the "why didn't he use X force power?", because that wouldn't have worked well in that seen for the movie. In novelization form it is much easier to draw out fights with dramatic shifts in power and use of other methods to create suspense and excitement. However, in film you are bound by time, physical limitations of the actors, SFX, and budget. Thus it is most easily achieved through a more simple yet exciting action sequence such as that used in the film.

Of course we would all like to see the what if stuff but the fact of the mater is the best we will get of that is forums such as these. The story and movies are what they are.

yettoh
Originally posted by dark soul
I think he should have force-pulled Obi-wan and jumped at the same time holding out his saber and then Killed palps to rule the galaxy and take me as his apprentice!
wel he does this on alternative neding to episode 3 game after killing obi wan he goes to palpatine palp gives aniken a red darth vader saber and anaking stabs palp and the clones but there guns up and then he says no the galaxy bellongs to me the clones take ther guns down

Kaos sebaceous
obi wan knew the jump was coming and obi wan knew he would totally rape anakin hence the "dont try it" anakin just thought he was stronger then obi wan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.