Portal

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

taft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if3Qv2tHyfA&search=portal

Looks very cool.

SaTsuJiN
wow that looks fun.. whens the release date lol

taft
I have no idea, my friend just linked me to that video. Looks like I have some googling to do.

Smasandian
It comes out with Half Life Episode 2 and TF2. Sometime in the fall, I'm thinking October.

taft
Can't wait to play it. dancingman

crazy_shadow
looks like prey's ideas of the portals will come to most future first person games, just like they were hoping. now i wonder if the gravity thing will too?

Smasandian
But this is completly different than Prey, it isnt just an level design, its designed into the actual gameplay.

All Prey did was portray portals in a very neat graphical way, but the idea of portals have been around since Doom.

Gravity gun idea was included in the expansion pack for Doom 3, but I cant see the gravity being a big part in FPS because it will be labelled as being an HL2 ripoff. Also, it takes an insane amound of coding to do the gravity gun.

But until the physic's PCI cards are more available, I dont think you will see alot of gravity gun rip-offs.

H. S. 6
Holy god.

That's awesome.

General Kaliero
I saw the trailer for this early this morning, and started laughing in an insane manner once the practical use examples really got going.

I love games that combine puzzles with action, and this seems to be doing that perfectly.

crazy_shadow
Originally posted by Smasandian
But this is completly different than Prey, it isnt just an level design, its designed into the actual gameplay.

All Prey did was portray portals in a very neat graphical way, but the idea of portals have been around since Doom.

Gravity gun idea was included in the expansion pack for Doom 3, but I cant see the gravity being a big part in FPS because it will be labelled as being an HL2 ripoff. Also, it takes an insane amound of coding to do the gravity gun.

But until the physic's PCI cards are more available, I dont think you will see alot of gravity gun rip-offs.

im not talking about the fact that portals are made from prey cause i know they arent. im saying the way the portals are made. on the game you see them as holes to another part of the world, a doorway to another part of the room. it doesn't do some special effect crap or noise when you go through like the old teleporters, it just lets u walk in without any feeling. plus the shape is the same as prey...i'm not saying this game looks bad, cause it does look kinda good, i'm just saying the portals are the exact same except ones using a gun to make them and the others just portals set there already.

Smasandian
So your point is that the actual graphic looks like Prey?

Or the gameplay?

Sora The Brave
Holy Christ.

Amazing.

What system? Or is it PC?

General Kaliero
Apparently intended to be shipped with the PC version of Half-Life 2. So it would be for PC.

Cerberus
Damn, it looks good but I would get confused after a while, lol.

crazy_shadow
So your point is that the actual graphic looks like Prey?

Or the gameplay?

not the graphics, the gameplay.....only part of gameplay i mean is going through the portals.

Smasandian
I guess, but the portals in Prey are pretty much like doors.

The idea of portals in science fiction has been around for decades.

SaTsuJiN
I started crackin up when he fell infinately... great stuff.. definately lookin forward to it

MadMel
that looks awesome !!!

crazy_shadow
I guess, but the portals in Prey are pretty much like doors.

The idea of portals in science fiction has been around for decades. nvm....u wont understand what im talking about.

Barker
That would confuse the hell out of me if I played that. ermm

steverules
looks good

Smasandian
Originally posted by crazy_shadow
nvm....u wont understand what im talking about.

Ok, then enlightening me?

Phazon
Have you seen this game?!

Its AWESOME!!! i think you get it When you bye HL2 ep2

And i must have it!! eek! big grin

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1299927595688205543&q=Portal

IceJaw
Bastard! no expression I was gonna make this thread

Phazon
Hahah i was faster!!!

General Kaliero
Actually, you're both incredibly slow.

SEARCH BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND.

Lana
*pulls out magic wand*

Mergius!

ermm

SaTsuJiN
this game just looks confusing as hell to play lol...

I'd prolly wind up doing the infinite fall by accident or something

Phazon
Damn there was already a thread aboud this sad my search thing is weird blink

Smasandian
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
this game just looks confusing as hell to play lol...

I'd prolly wind up doing the infinite fall by accident or something

Hahahahah, even worst, you quick save by accident while doing to infinate fall.

Phazon
LOL!

MadMel
hahaha lol....thatd be wicked..

DigiMark007
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Holy god.

That's awesome.

What he said.

I dislike shooters, but I about crapped myself when I watched the trailer.

chickenlover98
this game comes with the HL2 orange box. all consoles except wii and comp are the systems it comes out on

MadMel
bah...
the 2 consoles that i have sad

Morridini
What?
This isn't a PC game?
How silly, lets hope there is a demo at XBL then.

EDIT: Did a search, and it does come on the PC.

MadMel
woot!

DigiMark007
I just beat all of Portal yesterday. Then did all the advanced stuff today (but not the "least steps/portals" crap).

Fun. Interesting and mind-opening as all hell. But short.

Good thing it comes with the rest of Orange Box. If it was a stand-alone, I'd be upset. As it is, I'm pleasantly sated with gaming for the day, and will likely fire it up randomly in the coming weeks.

...the cake is a lie!

chickenlover98
Originally posted by DigiMark007
I just beat all of Portal yesterday. Then did all the advanced stuff today (but not the "least steps/portals" crap).

Good thing it comes with the rest of Orange Box. If it was a stand-alone, I'd be upset. As it is, I'm pleasantly sated with gaming for the day, and will likely fire it up randomly in the coming weeks.

...the cake is a lie!
you took a long ass time dude. its been out since like....semptember? lol. w/e good news is valve stated there is more portal to come

Lana
It came out in November (if I remember correctly...maybe October), and hey, I haven't played it at all yet. I'm not going to buy the Orange Box because I have zero interest in anything else on it, and my computer can't run it so I can't just download Portal by itself.

BackFire
Originally posted by DigiMark007

...the cake is a lie!

I still need to do the advance maps.

Yeah, it's just one part of an all around outstanding package -- Team Fortress 2 is one of the best MP games in existence, Half Life 2 Ep 2 was arguably the best game of the year all by itself and a stunning example of how episodic gaming should be done, and Half Life 2 is positively classic.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by BackFire
Yeah, it's just one part of an all around outstanding package -- Team Fortress 2 is one of the best MP games in existence, Half Life 2 Ep 2 was arguably the best game of the year all by itself and a stunning example of how episodic gaming should be done, and Half Life 2 is positively classic.

Wait, there were other games in The Orange Box? no expression

BackFire
Yes, and they were arguably better than Portal.

General Kaliero
Blasphemy!

Then again, I don't like online multiplayer, especially shooters, and Half-Life has always managed to avoid my adulation.

Well-written, black humored puzzle games are far more my cup of tea.

DigiMark007
Yeah, I'll get into HL2 and the episodes soon enough. But Portal was an easy play, and I'm in the middle of Spider-Man 3 right now, so I didn't want to devote myself to 2 full-length games at once.

And more Portal? I dunno. It's a cool novelty, but I might not shell out money for more.

Smasandian
I think Portal was great when it was short.

Hopefully, they continued this trend by releasing small Portal games with their Half Life games.

DigiMark007
I could see it being, say, a cool $10-20 download on Xbox Live. Because they can pump out Portal stuff faster than they could make new HL games or episodes.

Lana
I'd rather have a full-length Portal than anything Half Life...ermm

I'm with GK on this one.

Blax_Hydralisk
And now my young Lana.. you will die.

BackFire
Portal couldn't afford to be any longer, its story, while cute and somewhat engaging, couldn't sustain much more than a simple 3 hour time-frame without getting incredibly tedious and repetitive. Same goes for the gameplay progression.

That said, I think there's a very very good chance that we'll see the Portal gun in Episode 3, that way you'd have the best of both worlds -- The unique "make your own way" level design of Portal, with Half Life 2's exceptionally engaging world and character development that shames most other game's.

Smasandian
I'll agree with you on that one also.

I also think you'll see some sort of connection that directly involves Half Life, but I dont think we'll get to use the portal gun. The level design would be a nightmare. Or, it could be used just for a few seconds.

BackFire
I don't think it will be necessarily prevalent or anything, like the gravity gun, but I think there will be a few segments that would allow it.

Smasandian
Yeah, probably.

It would be neat but I just want the conclusion to the episode trilogy.

BackFire
As do I. After Ep 2's ending I'm dying to see what's going to happen, they really pushed the envelope with storytelling, mostly in terms how the realistic and believable well developed characters peaked at the end of the game.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Lana
I'd rather have a full-length Portal than anything Half Life...ermm

I'm with GK on this one.

yes

I am rather sick of the countless shooters bombarding the XBOX, a good puzzle game like a full length portal would be refreshing.

Smasandian
Originally posted by BackFire
As do I. After Ep 2's ending I'm dying to see what's going to happen, they really pushed the envelope with storytelling, mostly in terms how the realistic and believable well developed characters peaked at the end of the game.

Yeah.

Hopefully, they do Half Life 3 and not more episodes. I would love to have full length Half Life again. Maybe, change up the gameplay just a bit so any Half Life veteren cant finish an Half Life game in thier sleep.

Knowing Valve though, they'll do something cool.

Digi
http://emoticarolers.com/?id=84ca238c748f421f2d79be0390fc6acb9e0b4d77&author=Mark

Merry Something, b*tches.

Peach
Originally posted by Digi
http://emoticarolers.com/?id=84ca238c748f421f2d79be0390fc6acb9e0b4d77&author=Mark

Merry Something, b*tches.

...laughing out loud

Wow.

I still need to play Portal. I crack everyone up by the fact that I have Still Alive as one of my ringtones on my phone though stick out tongue

Macabre
Originally posted by Peach
...laughing out loud

Wow.

I still need to play Portal. I crack everyone up by the fact that I have Still Alive as one of my ringtones on my phone though stick out tongue

I has it on my iPod. Also, I have that bit about "There was even going to be cake. We were going to invite your friend, the companion cube, but you MURDERED him. Also, it says here you were adopted, so that's funny too".

GLADoS = <3

Peach
I own Portal now, so I can play it! Finally big grin

LilMimister006
Portal is such a cute little game. And yes, I'm pretty much favoring this game over Half life. Though I'm addicted to team fortress 2 at the moment. Hmm..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.