the compass....again i know

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sailorleo
um i was wondering in the first movie when Norrington has the compass you now "compass that doesn't point north," is in fact pointing to sparrow, now am i too assume that oh, Johnny trumps Kiera..?

LovelyOne
LOOOOOOOOL..thats very strange actually...maybe back when they wrote it the compass only pointed where Jack wanted it to point..and when someone else held it it didnt work? They wrote the first one with no intention of writing a second script..

katelovespirate
yeah thats true. and the compass always takes a few seconds to work and norrington barely glances at it.

if it was pointing to jack, it probably had something to do with the fact that Norrington was a proffessional who loved capturing pirates, and here was another to add to his impressive list.

sailorleo
**drools about norrington** yeah i thought that too, i was just wondering what the conspirists thought...or if any one read the fanfics i've heard of lol

katelovespirate
conspirists???? who are they??? what do they think???? i am intrigued.

sailorleo
ummm...well....um....Jack and Norrie gay romp fics....some people really get into their own stuff...

katelovespirate
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i hate it when people try and say Jack is gay, because its such a dumb idea i dont even want to argue about it because thats the silliest thing i have ever heard. jack is a total homophobe, plus he hates norrington, plus he is attracted to women.

Hee hee.. norringtons kinda hott though. jack dav. is soooooo funny on the commentary... smile

How can Jack Sparrow be so sexy? Like, even when he is being totally goofy and dumb, there is this undeniable, extreme charm there. lol. what a great character.

sailorleo
i think norrington is totally an underated character in the POTC movies he needs more screenitme...and by the way reffering to the commentaries...shut up knightly! Now one cares about ur tuny bosom....oh god i said it...now im going to slaughtered...be nice...neehhh (runs away like jack)

willofthewisp
Sigh. If only we could have Norrington's personality from the first movie and his looks from the second movie. He may have been a little snobby, but he was the only one who stood for law and order and he gave up Liz after asking her if Will was who she really wanted. Now in this second one, he's just a broken, bitter man who is working on the wrong side. Maybe he'll find someone like Anamaria who will loosen him up but get him back on the good side!

Bwa Ha Ha
...perhaps

Hambah
Originally posted by sailorleo
um i was wondering in the first movie when Norrington has the compass you now "compass that doesn't point north," is in fact pointing to sparrow, now am i too assume that oh, Johnny trumps Kiera..?

omg, i noticed that when i was watching COTBP a few days ago. i laughed. it's the most stupid idea ever that either on of them is gay though. i mean, half the country is against gay-ness. maybe they just didnt think anyone would notice?

Hambah
wait, forget everything i just said.
norrington opened the compass so that north was facing towards jack, who was standing directly in front of him. right when he said that, he said "a compass that DOESNT point north." so it couldn't have been pointing towards jack because jack was north. they must've just thought nobody would pay attention.
sorry if this is wrong lol. im confusing myself thinking about it. it's really confusing. if i'm correct, could someone explain it to me, and if i'm wrong, can someone explain it to me? haha thanks.
happy holidays. =]

Surreal_44
Who cares if Jack/Norrington is canon or not? It's fun to write (more fun to read), and in the Alternate World of Slash, James and Jack sure do make a fun pairing. big grin

As for the compass pointing toward Jack, well...yeah, Norrington wants to capture Jack 'cause he's a pirate. big grin

Oh...and what's wrong with brocade? big grin Stuffington or Scruffington, I adore Norrington either way. Sexy voice and gorgeous eyes...*sighs* And Elizabeth gave it all away. What was she thinking?! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Hambah
haha
i do not support gays in some catagories/i have slight homophobia so i do not like the slash stuff
but i've actually never really liked norrington.

Hambah
and you're right about the compass pointing to jack
even if it did point to him while norrington was holding it, it was probably because he wanted to capture and kill jack sparrow the most

Jacky Sparrow
I mean of course he wanted to capture Jack, he even knows the tattoo on Jacks hand to identify him, so why shouldn't he be interested in getting him? And now Jack is direct in front of him, does anyone think he thinks now about something else?

Surreal_44
Norrie and Jackie = OTP stick out tongue

Bwa Ha Ha
how is jack north?

willofthewisp
Here's an idea that's really simple, what if it was pointing to Jack because in Norrington's mind, capturing Jack would impress Liz? Don't forget last we knew, Norrington really has it bad for Liz yet doesn't know her all that well. Yeah, he knows she's gorgeous and smart and brave and all, but I don't think he knows about her pirate fetish. Maybe this was his chance to be the hero, especially after the fact it was Jack that saved her from drowning. Maybe that's why it points to Jack.

Surreal_44
No, no. The compass points to Jack because Norrington secretly digs pirates and Jack is after all, a very attractive one. Don't you see the hidden sexual desire? It's all right there.

I mean, Jack even has James on his knees in the second film...

Bwa Ha Ha
1. but he lectured lil liz 4 singin bout pirates
2. ....yes

Surreal_44
No, you see, the anger towards pirates is really just suppressed sexual desire. It's really all right there. Seriously. You just have to look really hard.

Of course, Jack/Will is more cannon and is a bit easier to defend...

Hambah
i don't think they were implying anything like that
no jack/norrington, no jack/will
it's a disney movie.

willofthewisp
Disney's not openly gay about anything. Even if Norrington floated that way, there is NOOOOOO evidence saying Jack does. He even gets freaked out when he thinks Liz is a boy. "My first and only love is the sea," as he gestures to Gibbs to get rid of "him."

Surreal_44
That's just fear of being confronted with his true sexual desires getting to Jack. The compass is actually pointing at Norrington, but Jack has convinced himself that it's pointing at Elizabeth.

Every scene between Jack and Norrington is filled with sexual energy. I mean, Jack is hung up (hehe) on eunich jokes...ooooh, maybe he's in love with Will!

I mean, he trades Will for his soul. It could just be his attempt to remove temptation from his life, because the possibility of being in love with another man is just too frightening to contemplate.

Bwa Ha Ha
.....lol the eunuch jokes

willofthewisp
Is this some kind of parody of what we say about Jack and Liz sometimes? laughing

If there is sexual tension between Jack and Norrington, then there is sexual tension between Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty, Obi Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker, Maximus and Commodus, Harry and Voldemort, Braveheart and Longshanks, Batman and the Joker, and RickyBobby and the French guy!

There is tension, but can you really say it's sexual? Norrington's a little too bitter and Jack enjoys Liz's kisses a little too much to be gay.

Bwa Ha Ha
lol yes

Surreal_44
Jack is only enjoying Elizabeth's kiss because he's imaginging her wearing a commodore's uniform. stick out tongue

Nah, it's not a parody, but I could do one if you want. big grin I'm just a slash fan, and if everyone in the pirate world was gay, I'd totally go for Norrington/Will/Jack, with a dash of ~EVIL~ Beckett on the side for fun. big grin

DssTrainer
Originally posted by Hambah
and you're right about the compass pointing to jack
even if it did point to him while norrington was holding it, it was probably because he wanted to capture and kill jack sparrow the most

Ya, he does want Jack more.... Norrington is the type to always put his job first before his girl... which is part of the reason he lost Elizabeth to begin with.

Surreal_44
Norrington puts his job above everything, including himself. Poor guy. That's why he needs Jack to help loosen him up and free him from the constraints of society.

katelovespirate
mmm... i think norrington did loosen up. i have this idea that he always wanted to try out a pirates life. you only persecute people or ideas that scare you because you find yourself weak in that area, and the venom with which he condemns pirates in film 1 makes me think he sort of secretly longs to be one. Seeing Will Turner turn pirate, having dealings with Jack Sparrow, and then seeing who Elizabeth chooses and why probably convinces him further to try out a pirates life.

but of course, it wasn't as glamorous as imagined, and he does have an honest streak and was born and bred a gentleman... so it makes sense he would want to go back to that life, not realizing the implications of working for the EITC etc. I think when he realizes it isn't the royal navy and how corrupt Beckett is, he will jump back into the other boat.

I reckon Elizabeth should kiss him in AWE, just to even out the love pyramid.

Surreal_44
I don't think James wants a posh life back. I think James is horrified by his actions from CotBP to DMC. The writers mention in WordPlayer somewhere that James takes his job seriously, and the responsiblity that comes with it. He knows he failed his men, and that weighs heavily on him.

He wants redemption, not a comfy bed. He is desperate to find his way back to who he was before Jack Sparrow, Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner shook up his world and turned it upside down.

Right now he's struggling with who he is, because no matter what he thinks, he'll never be able to go back to seeing the world in black and white, but he despises how loosely he's been living. He lost everything, and now that he's given a chance to pull himself out of the muck and try to make things right by his men, he's going to do it.

I love the tragic hero. I'll be so pissed if he dies. mad

katelovespirate
eh, i dont think he's the tragic hero. pretty much everyone in the film is following a similar path. Him and Will are actually very similar in my mind.

You've got the gods:
Barbossa
Jack
Tia
Davy Jones

The Principal mortals:
Elizabeth
Will

The Mortals with plot value:
Norrington
Bootstrap
Gibbs (?)

The Lesser Mortals:
Gibbs (?)
Gov. Swann
Pintel and Ragetti

The gag characters:
The dog
the strumpets
the disposable sailors and crew
the fish dudes

And the Napoleon characters:
Beckett

So, Jack, Will, and Norrington all are very similar, just different levels of power and importance. IMO.

I reckon Sao will be up with the gods, as well as Teague. I'm also assuming characters will be adopting new roles in AWE. Elizabeth has shown herself capable of playing with the gods, for one. She tricked Jack, bargained with Beckett, defied Barbossa, and will hopefully have some good interaction with Tia or Jones in 3, after also wrapping Sao around her finger.

Surreal_44
What's the deal with the gods/mortals thing? Film making class or something?

And I believe Norrington would be more of a Principal Mortal, rather than a mortal with plot value; every action he's taken in the first two films, and likely from the third, is absolutely vital and pivotal to the plot. He swings the story one way or another (interesting how both movies end with a pivotal action of his that continues the story)...so he at least should get to be in the Prinipal Mortal list. big grin

katelovespirate
Originally posted by Surreal_44
What's the deal with the gods/mortals thing? Film making class or something?

And I believe Norrington would be more of a Principal Mortal, rather than a mortal with plot value; every action he's taken in the first two films, and likely from the third, is absolutely vital and pivotal to the plot. He swings the story one way or another (interesting how both movies end with a pivotal action of his that continues the story)...so he at least should get to be in the Prinipal Mortal list. big grin

im going off what the writers said on the first and second commentaries and on wordplayer.

they specifically listed Jack and Barbossa as "godlike characters" in the commentary. They also said you could tell how godlike a character was by their teeth. wink

Norrington just doesn't have the amount of screentime as Will and Elizabeth. He is important to the story, but he isn't on the movie poster. you know I love Norrington with a passion and find his character one of the most fascinating in the series, but i was classifying based on what the writers said, that kind of thing. because t and t are good writers, the actions of EVERY character (except the gag characters) are pretty much essential to the plot.

my point in doing that was to show the similarities between certain characters on different levels and to speculate how characters may change in the course of AWE.

Ericadawn
Although Ted or Terry said that James' sword had a destiny...

PirateDiva
Originally posted by Ericadawn
Although Ted or Terry said that James' sword had a destiny...

Really they said that when?

willofthewisp
Okay, am I dreaming this up, or is there a scene in Beckett's office when he's telling someone he found this special sword and he puts it in a case? Since Norrington has his sword with him, I wonder if the two tie in in some way?

Mistypirate
No you are not dreaming

Surreal_44
Norrington doesn't get his pretty sword back until the end of DMC...the scene was rudely cut from the film. *sighs* But there is a slight destiny to the sword. It better not involve James dying. mad

jackismyboo
i think in wikipedia it said james not dying i imagine him to be the next governer of port royal in the end if there still is a port royal

katelovespirate
Maybe James will use the sword to trim his beard. wink

willofthewisp
Wait, so his sword was taken away? Let me see if this is right.

Norrie loses his comission, and therefore his sword.

Somewhere along the lines of being a despot, he picks up another sword and that's what he uses in the 3-way wheel fight.

He returns he heart and gets his comission and his regular sword back.

Is that the sequence of events?

katelovespirate
to my knowledge

willofthewisp
So what else have the deleted scenes kept us from seeing? I'm wondering if they didn't put those on the dvd because they would give away too much about the third movie, you think?

Surreal_44
From what the writers have said, and in various comments made to other people in the form of private messages, Norrington resigned his comission, and left his sword behind...

And then yes, he commandeers another sword from someone, and then when he gives the heart to Beckett, he gets his sword back...and then prepares to stab Jones' heart.

I do think they cut a lot of scenes from DMC because it foreshadows what happens in the third film.

My favorite deleted Norrington moment is his line about "Better mad with the rest of the world than sane alone". I saw Jack Davenport say it in one of those behind-the-scene videos on youtube, and the delivery of that line was utterly swoon-worthy. Why oh why did they cut it out? *sobs*

katelovespirate
man, they cut all the best lines from the script in my mind. that norrie line, Jack's pot kettle black line, Will's woman line, etc. whats up with that.

Mistypirate
Why make something more obvious that already is?. wink

Chiki Mina
big grin

Well, girls. Im getting impatient about the trailer lol.

katelovespirate
yes im off to bed then. night! smile

Chiki Mina
Night xoxo

Keep the faith

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.