Combat speed vs Moving speed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

UniOmni
If character A can blitz, and has faster than the eye can see hand movement, does he automatically win against character B, who doesn't have true combat speed, but can move faster than character A??

Lets say Superman tries to blitz the Surfer........Will he connect since his combat speed is high??
Or can Surfers flying speed nullify that combat speed?

Rols
If both reflex(combat) and flight speed are equal and release at desame time, combat speed will never connect since both speed are moving at desame time.

Jesse7
Like wise Surfer will never hit Superman as long as he is running, but once SS decides to attack, he loses his edge in speed because he is no longer focusing purely on traveling/sprinting speed but rather now combat speed which surfer has MANY poor showings of.

A prime example of this is SS battle with Odin, SS was flying at his hyper speed blitzing speeds (o he wasn't? then I guess that means he doesnt have super speed in battle since HE HAS NEVER shown on panel i n a battle to have such) and Odin who is not even that fast not even light speed, was able to nail SS with a energy blast dead on.

Point of the story here folks, Combat speed/reflex speed>>traveling/sprinting speed in combat

thedude1948
Originally posted by Jesse7
A prime example of this is SS battle with Odin, SS was flying at his hyper speed blitzing speeds (o he wasn't? then I guess that means he doesnt have super speed in battle since HE HAS NEVER shown on panel i n a battle to have such) and Odin who is not even that fast not even light speed, was able to nail SS with a energy blast dead on.

Point of the story here folks, Combat speed/reflex speed>>traveling/sprinting speed in bombat
That is a horrible example, Odins speed has no relevance on the speed of his energy blast. That just shows he has good aim.

Jesse7
Yes it does have complete relevance, Odins combat speed and reflexes were able to match and surpass Surfers, thus he was able to see SS and react to SS (who at the time was flying around in the air bombarding Odin with cosmic blast) by blasting him out of the air. That is a PRIME example of reflexes over sheer sprinting speed, its also an example of ss poor combat speed.

Another example is when SS fought mephisto, mephisto grabbed SS legs (while SS was flying around) and pulled him off his board, in order to grab some or hit some one with a energy blast or magic, you have to be able to see them and react to them, that is combat speed and reaction time.

Slade is a prime example of combat speed and reaction time, he is able to react to speedsters and hit them and or tag them.

Broly92
This is untrue I can get lucky by guessing and moving fast does not mean the other person isn't faster

Jesse7
Sigh, It wasn't guessing in both examples I provided, want to know why? Because Odin hit Silver Surfer twice, once he knocked SS back, then SS came flying in strategic patterns bombarding Odin from above, and Odin while fighting thanos blasted SS out of the sky, and KO'ed him, it wasn't guessing that he hit SS dead on twice in a row.

My second example isn't guessing either, Slade consecutively hits people who are far faster then him via his superior combat and reaction speed; Wally, and then kid flash.

Broly92
Sigh, It wasn't guessing in both examples I provided, want to know why? Because Odin hit Silver Surfer twice, once he knocked SS back, then SS came flying in strategic patterns bombarding Odin from above, and Odin while fighting thanos blasted SS out of the sky, and KO'ed him, it wasn't guessing that he hit SS dead on twice in a row.

My second example isn't guessing either, Slade consecutively hits people who are far faster then him via his superior combat and reaction speed; Wally, and then kid flash.
I did not deny this but Surfer having to slow down is not right

drwerwer
Well silfer surfers would have to use his speed to get him away from supes combat speed, then he would probly not be able to get in close and fight since then he would be relying more on combat speed which would not be as fast as supes and so he would lose there. But he could run around supes in circles and goe in for one quick hit then get away really quickly but if he stayed close for to long then surfer would get socked.

drwerwer
Sorry for some of the spelling and grammer.

Jesse7
Originally posted by Broly92
I did not deny this but Surfer having to slow down is not right

It is right that SS has to slow down want to know why? Because SS only has his super speed when sprinting in a relative straight line (such as traveling). But through his entire comic history he has never shown to have this speed in combat, he has to slow down because he cant make sharp turns or agile moves while going those speeds.

Point being SS doesnt have super combat and or reflex speeds.

SS can run in a straight line all day, but it wont win him any battles, the momment SS goes on the offensive he loses his edge in speed and thus Superman in this case would pummel him, if Thanos who is not as strong or fast as Superman can KO SS with punches, then Superman could KO SS with punches 1/100 of the time.

And dont tell me SS is too durable for punches, because a knife has hurt him before, a thunderbolt from storm has had SS on his knees, I could go on, Thanos has KO'ed SS in melee.

Rols
I think what slows down SS in combat is the board, while fast in straith and sharp turns, its slow in awkward movement.. while having both legs and body to control awkward movements Ie. Supes, Glads, Thor, etc.. etc.

Broly92
It is right that SS has to slow down want to know why? Because SS only has his super speed when sprinting in a relative straight line (such as traveling). But through his entire comic history he has never shown to have this speed in combat, he has to slow down because he cant make sharp turns or agile moves while going those speeds.

Point being SS doesnt have super combat and or reflex speeds.

SS can run in a straight line all day, but it wont win him any battles, the momment SS goes on the offensive he loses his edge in speed and thus Superman in this case would pummel him, if Thanos who is not as strong as Superman can KO SS with punches, then Superman could KO SS with punches 1/100 of the time.

And dont tell me SS is to durable for punches, because a knife has hurt him before, a thunderbolt from storm has had SS on his knees, I could go on, Thanos has KO'ed SS in melee.
1.PIS
2.Thanos>>>>Supes
3.You obviously think Supes can beat Surfer

Jesse7
Thus SS does not have super combat or reflex speeds, do you see what im saying now?

Jesse7
Originally posted by Broly92
1.PIS
2.Thanos>>>>Supes
3.You obviously think Supes can beat Surfer

1. Are you calling SS entire comic history PIS? Face it SS doesnt have super combat or reflex speeds.

2. Supes>Thanos with no prep

3. Im not decided on this one, I say its 5/5 SS can exploit supes weaknesses, but I also believe that if Supes can knock SS off his board then Supes would take it 10/10, it all depends if Supes can knock SS off his board which I believe he can because he has the combat/reflex speed advantage

Broly92
1. Are you calling SS entire comic history PIS? Face it SS doesnt have super combat or reflext speeds.

2. Supes>>>>Thanos with no prep

3. Im not decided on this one, I say its 5/5 SS can exploit supes weaknesses, but I also believe that if Supes can knock SS off his board then Supes would take it 10/10, it all depends if Supes can knock SS off his board which I believe he can because he has the combat/reflex speed advantage
I don't argue with Supes fanboys see ya no expression

Rols
Thus SS does not have super combat or reflex speeds, do you see what im saying now?

No, There are advantages in having to fight straith or sharp corners, reflex speed is comple diff. its eye hand coordination. have to go to work big grin .

Jesse7
Im not a fanboy of Supes, but what I do dislike is when characters are over rated, espicially when one claims character A is over character B for the sole reason of "speed blitz" when in fact that character like SS in point doesnt have super reflex or combat speed.

Tell me this, if Supes knocked SS off his board, do you think SS has a chance to defeat SS, shall I post scans of how slow SS is without his board? Shall I post scans of what happens to SS when is knocked off his board?

Jesse7
Originally posted by Rols
No, There are advantages in having to fight straith or sharp corners, reflex speed is comple diff. its eye hand coordination. have to go to work big grin .

Reflex speed is this, surfer blast a cosmic blast at some one, that some one is able to see the cosmic blast and react to it, that is reaction speed. A prime example of this is Slade

Combat speed is being able to move with agility at super speeds in close-med range without losing speed. Combat speed is also being able to punch 1000 times in under a second, a prime example of this would be Flash, Supes, Majestic, etc.

thedude1948
The Silver Surfer can use his speed offensively. Specifically in Infinity Crusade when he absorbed a star and slammed into Paradise Omega's shield using his moving speed.

Jesse7
As I said SS can only use his super speed when traveling in a relatively straight line, Majestic has the reaction and combat speed to dodge this, secondly it didnt do SS much good in IC when he dashed for Thanos gauntlet did it? SS tends to suffer in performance when under stress.

Rols
Reflex speed is this, surfer blast a cosmic blast at some one, that some one is able to see the cosmic blast and react to it, that is reaction speed. A prime example of this is Slade

Combat speed is being able to move with agility at super speeds in close-med range without losing speed. Combat speed is also being able to punch 1000 times in under a second, a prime example of this would be Flash, Supes, Majestic, etc.

Here is SS reflex speed, seing hails of random meteorshowers lighyears away and avoid it without 1 touching him... Show me majistic punching 1000 times in under a second, i assure you he does not have such feats..

SS on straith line and sharp turns is a lot faster than Supes, how is Supes going to knock SS of his board, Supes might be below SS in combat speed but SS can outran supes.

How the heck did come into this conclution, he failed un appointed task does not mean he backles up to stressed, lets not forget Thanos was also powered up for that fight..

K3VIL
Usually the movement speed and the reflexes are on par in comic books.
Flash can achieve unbelievable speeds, that's why to him the world looks standing still since a certain point.
Silver Surfer can travel at warp speeds, that's why he can perceive the things around himself not only through common senses but through energy perception and why he can still think and react at such speeds, he's been adapted from Galactus.

Swanky-Tuna
Surfer has circled opponents while boasting about his ability to travel faster than light, I'm guessing while traveling faster than light.

MattDay
Originally posted by Rols
Here is SS reflex speed, seing hails of random meteorshowers lighyears away and avoid it without 1 touching him... Show me majistic punching 1000 times in under a second, i assure you he does not have such feats..

SS on straith line and sharp turns is a lot faster than Supes, how is Supes going to knock SS of his board, Supes might be below SS in combat speed but SS can outran supes.

How the heck did come into this conclution, he failed un appointed task does not mean he backles up to stressed, lets not forget Thanos was also powered up for that fight..

3rd line shows that you are a fan boy of silve surfer, makes no sense, and you've said ss is faster than superman in close combat when most people agree that isnt true... silver surfer has no chance in hell physically against supes, luckily he has the power cosmic to beat him but thats it, his speed only can get him so far with a character like supes

Acrosurge
Speed blitzing is a moot point when it comes to the Silver Surfer. He has enhanced, cosmic perceptions, not to mention superhuman reflexes. He threads meteor showers easily at relative velocities. He dodges starship fire from entire fleets. He has the reflexes and powerset to counter a speed blitz. Therefore, a speed blitz or fast combat speeds aren't going to win the day against him, IMO.

nvrbeenwthagirl
The Silver Surfer is beyond any speed blitz. And I always wondered who came up with speed blitz. The only characters shown to be able to fight in combat at top tier speed have been the flashes and beings who are made of light like Monica Rambeau or The Ray or Nova. Any super being who can travel really fast has to slow down to fight effectively. Not super slow but not anywhere near thier top speed. Also, when someone fights using speed, they loose some impact to thier punches and heighten thier chances of missing or only landing glancing blows.

Dinalfos
The impact is only lost if they can't begin to approach light speed. If they can, the impact will be larger than normal.

MattDay
meh bla bla blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Superherovandal
actually there are a few beings capable of blitzing SS. the Runner for one, Zoom, anyone with the space gem.and Flash with the Speed formula which incidentally he knows.

nvrbeenwthagirl
Originally posted by Dinalfos
The impact is only lost if they can't begin to approach light speed. If they can, the impact will be larger than normal.

Ok maybe I"m wrong, I was always under the assumption that anything traveling at light speed had to convert to light or something like that to be moving that fast and not destroy the atmosphere. Anything faster than light moves into the warp or hyper fields. With that being said, NO super beings other than the flashes should even be able to punch someone moving at Light Speed. The flashes have that cool aura thing that allows them to be part of the speed force and outside of it at the same time. I think the Runner had the same kind of power. THe fastest someone should be able to fight using super speed in an atmostphere should be the upper limit of the Machs. Escape Velocity if I'm correct. Someone who is into physics can probably tell us.

UniOmni
Originally posted by nvrbeenwthagirl
Ok maybe I"m wrong, I was always under the assumption that anything traveling at light speed had to convert to light or something like that to be moving that fast and not destroy the atmosphere. Anything faster than light moves into the warp or hyper fields. With that being said, NO super beings other than the flashes should even be able to punch someone moving at Light Speed. The flashes have that cool aura thing that allows them to be part of the speed force and outside of it at the same time. I think the Runner had the same kind of power. THe fastest someone should be able to fight using super speed in an atmostphere should be the upper limit of the Machs. Escape Velocity if I'm correct. Someone who is into physics can probably tell us.

Correct. Any more and their speed would rip off the protective atmosphere, wasting the Earths surface.

nvrbeenwthagirl
Originally posted by UniOmni
Correct. Any more and their speed would rip off the protective atmosphere, wasting the Earths surface.

So from this point on, anyone arguing speed blitz must realize that if two beings who are both faster than escape velocity fight in the atmosphere, it doesn't matter if one is actually fater than the other beyond that point becuz niether could move much faster any way. Lest they destroy the planet. With that being said, super speed in combat is used correctly on Dragon ball z. they basically use super speed to fly after thier targets, hit them and then move to hit them again, or to deflect blows and rain down blows. If both targets are moving, they rarely duke it out while moving. Unless they are directly infront of each other, which would simulate them actually standing still. Combat Speed shoudl really go into the reflexes department.

Rols
Originally posted by MattDay
3rd line shows that you are a fan boy of silve surfer, makes no sense, and you've said ss is faster than superman in close combat when most people agree that isnt true... silver surfer has no chance in hell physically against supes, luckily he has the power cosmic to beat him but thats it, his speed only can get him so far with a character like supes

Admittedly i am a fan of SS but a fanboy dont think so. 2nd paragraph 3rd line was a sentence mistake, I meant to say SS combat speed is below Supes. In brute fight only way SS could probably take out Supes is hit and run tactics w/ PC blast.

Mindship
One would think that since the Surfer can augment his strength with PC, he should be able to augment his reflex/combat speeds as well. But then, there is so much the Surfer should be able to do, but doesn't. And this is because if he did, most fights would be over in a few panels.

Acrosurge
Originally posted by Mindship
One would think that since the Surfer can augment his strength with PC, he should be able to augment his reflex/combat speeds as well. But then, there is so much the Surfer should be able to do, but doesn't. And this is because if he did, most fights would be over in a few panels. And yet, there is so much the Surfer can and has done that seems to go ignored by Surfer haters. The Silver Surfer has demonstrated superhuman reflexes, people, both standing still and in flight on his board. He doesn't speed blitz, but he can sure as heck fly and dodge with the best of 'em when he wants to. Need I bring up the example when he dodged the Badoon's living, seeking rocket at relativistic velocities? Or dodged the barrage of a Shiar armada? Or was teleported into an asteriod swarm yet avoided every one? Or searched the earth for Namor and returned before Doc Strange could finish a sentence? That's not just straight line speed, folks, but superhuman speed, reflexes, and manueverability.

Jesse7
Thats nice, how about showing a scan or two of when SS has succesfuly EVER used his so claimed superhuman speed, reflexes, and manueverability, in combat against some one who isn't a rock, or against an actual hero (such as a main character, Thor, firelord, thanos, etc.)

HisMajestyAC43
ok, first off, you can't really bring actual physics theory into the comic world. it just doesn't really apply like it should.

but my main point is this. i have always been under the impression that if a character was capable of traveling at 300x the speed of light they undoubtedly had super reflexes, and were capable of using them. imagine going even 70 mph... if a ball rolled into the street, you would be hard pressed to avoid hitting it. i understand that i just stated that physics dont really apply in comics, but i think you'll agree that this makes sense. in combat, the same reflexes used in high speed travel, should be applicable. in theory, if a character can avoid hitting an object while traveling at 300x light speed, the same character should be able to avoid being hit by anything traveling at that speed toward him, as long as he was aware of it.

and surfer is a constant victim of pis... he is sort of easy to look at and poke holes through. but thats my 2 cents.

Sirius77
Originally posted by thedude1948
That is a horrible example, Odins speed has no relevance on the speed of his energy blast. That just shows he has good aim.

Im sorry but I'm going to have to call you on that one, you can hit something moving at "light speed" if you are not moving at "light speed" yourself, no matter how good your aim is, and another thing, the SS doesn't have very good reaction time compared to characters such as Superman or Majestic, or somone like that, he theoretically moves at lightspeed, but yet he can be K.O.ed by Thanos... I don't get it.

Sirius77
Originally posted by nvrbeenwthagirl

If the Flashes are the only ones who can use the speed force, then how come in Infinite Crisis, Superboy-Prime speed blitzed them while in speed force usage. So if he can do that, then imagine what he could do to Surfer.

Sirius77
Originally posted by Acrosurge
And yet, there is so much the Surfer can and has done that seems to go ignored by Surfer haters. The Silver Surfer has demonstrated superhuman reflexes, people, both standing still and in flight on his board. He doesn't speed blitz, but he can sure as heck fly and dodge with the best of 'em when he wants to. Need I bring up the example when he dodged the Badoon's living, seeking rocket at relativistic velocities? Or dodged the barrage of a Shiar armada? Or was teleported into an asteriod swarm yet avoided every one? Or searched the earth for Namor and returned before Doc Strange could finish a sentence? That's not just straight line speed, folks, but superhuman speed, reflexes, and manueverability.

Thats only one example, Superman does it frequently, effortlessly.

Rols
Well his done it a few times not as much as Supes but it goes to show you his got very fast reflexes. Question is, is it faster or equal than Supes?

Acrosurge
Originally posted by Sirius77
Thats only one example, Superman does it frequently, effortlessly. Well, that would technically be four examples of Superhuman reflexes.

Again, I'm not arguing for some "combat speed", or whatever nonsense. I'm simply pointing out that the Surfer has superhuman reflexes and have given four examples of it, and can provide more, if need be.

As for the argument that the Surfer can only travel in straight lines, that's just silly. There are too many instances of the Surfer spanning the globe in a few seconds or dodging asteroids or weapons fire to believe he can only fly fast when traveling straight.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.