Sequals are so underated.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lord xyz
Anyone agree?

H. S. 6
I'd go back to the OTF. erm

Lana
Um, why don't you explain yourself a bit.

I would have to say in general though, sequels have a hard time living up to the original.

Barker
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequal

Spot the difference.

SaTsuJiN
I dont think so... people expect way too much from sequels these days.. so high expectation doesnt match being underrated

Kayne Archeron
but it's those high expectations that lead to the underrating, I try to enjoy a sequel for what it is and i still don't think DMC2 was that bad, but FFX2 was rather dull about halfway through

Lana
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I dont think so... people expect way too much from sequels these days.. so high expectation doesnt match being underrated

Well, a sequel should at least match the original, or what's the point of it?

Gregory
In the context of video games, I don't think sequels are "underrated." Super Metroid, Metal Gear Solid, Super Mario World, Resident Evil 4 ... this thread would make sense in a movie forum, but I don't think it's true for video games.

JToTheP
SOME sequels are underrated while others are overrated:

MGS2 is very overrated, the plot was presented poorly, and Raiden=/=MGS, Raiden=whiney little girl who should be in Barbie games. I'd of rather had a woman as the lead, than I could be more sympathic.

DMC2 is underrated, it's easy as hell, but Lucia is fun to play as IMO, and it isn't THAT terrible.

Max Payne 2 is underrated, yes the Ps2 version is pretty bad graphically, but the gameplay is as fun as 1.

IceJaw
The OTF is calling you back, go

Phazon
LOL damn wankers at OTF laughing

IceJaw
Didnt vote....there was no "Nah" option disgust

ESB -1138
I disagree. Sequels can and most of them are better. Super Mario Bros 3, The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past and OoT, Super Mario 64, Metroid Prime, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and 3 and Knuckles, many sequels are in fact better then the orginals.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Lana
Well, a sequel should at least match the original, or what's the point of it? Oh I didnt mean it like that... I meant that they expect so much to a point where being underrated is no longer possible.. considering underrated is where one thinks a game to be crap when its actually good or has some good qualities... (at least to the point of bringing it to 'cult following' status)

I definately dont see anything wrong with wanting more for your 50 dollars in the next game

most of the sequels I can think of dont come near being underrated

kingdom hearts 2
halo 2
half life 2
diablo 2
capcom vs snk 2
street fighter 2
resident evil 2
soul calibur 2

I know there can be more than a '2' to a sequel, but the second game in a series is usually what decides if the franchise is revisited a 3rd or more times

IMO the first game in a series of sequels are usually underrated.. I've also seen games like ICO turn to underrated status.. (games that try to be wierd and different... then succeed at it)

Bardock42
Originally posted by Lana
Well, a sequel should at least match the original, or what's the point of it?

Well, it can be an extraordinary game without matching it's predecessor

JToTheP
Originally posted by ESB -1138
I disagree. Sequels can and most of them are better. Super Mario Bros 3, The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past and OoT, Super Mario 64, Metroid Prime, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and 3 and Knuckles, many sequels are in fact better then the orginals.

Well that's because those sequels you mentioned blow away the originals. The originals made the landmark, but the sequels blew them away completely. You can add Mario World to the list.

And IceJaw, I know that OTF jab wasn't at me. I can't believe people STILL are taking shots at the OTF, all because who was new back in 2005 followed who was doing it then. roll eyes (sarcastic) It was a good forum at it's time, and it got really ruined when the users from when it was first made left.

who?-kid
Most of the time, sequels are better imo : a lot of the mistakes or little things that could have been better of the first game have been taken care of.

For example:

Resident Evil
Splinter Cell
Syphon Filter (PSX)
Maximo
Tekken
Little Big Adventure
Gran Tourismo
Lord of the Rings (EA)
Max Payne
Warcraft
Dungeon Siege

And I forget a lot of games.

(MGS is a tough one to classify)

mysterio69
super mario bros. 2 kicked ass. and so did silent hill 2, and 3. viva le sequel.

AstroFan
In video games sequels are better alot of the time, unless the original is very very good, then the hype is too much to live up to.

MadMel
BUMP!
thats true, most videogame sequels are usually better than the original..super bomberman 5 is much better than Sbm1, for example..

lord xyz
Originally posted by Phazon
LOL damn wankers at OTF laughing Hey, I'm from the OTF. Well, originally SWF.

JToTheP
Originally posted by AstroFan
In video games sequels are better alot of the time, unless the original is very very good, then the hype is too much to live up to.

Like Red Alert 2, I love it incredibly much, but listening to Hell March 2 creates so much Nostalgia urges of Red Alert 1.

crazy_shadow
although the final fantasy series is getting old o.O

lord xyz
Originally posted by crazy_shadow
although the final fantasy series is getting old o.O yes I still don't even know why they even made a 10. FFX sucks.

coolmovies
alien 3 directors cut is good

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.