Supermans Power rate vs Hulk's Power Rate

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

UniOmni
I was reading SHC, and a poster called Jellyrobes, said that Superman has a legit dynamic power level.
Ie, that his power goes up and down depending on the mindstate he's in.

Now by now, everybody knows that Hulk has a true blue, dynamic powerlevel. Its tied into his stress levels.

Now lets compare Hulks moving power level to Superman.

Does the Man of Steel actually have a moving powerset??

Or is it just dependent on his access to it?

I call no.

And after a few responses, i'll reply with why.

batdude123
thorinn

UniOmni
Originally posted by batdude123
thorinn

Don't be quiet now!!
Speak on it!!

Avalonofthewind
Superman's power level seems to be all in his mind.
His actual power level doesn't have any real set limit...especially in the physical realm.

batdude123
Well, it's been stated by J'onn, Wonder Woman, a scientist that knows Superman's body better than anybody (his genetic make up, not what you think mad ), and Mongul that his body is able to absorb more and more sunlight the more stressed he becomes, so I say yes. erm

UniOmni
Originally posted by Avalonofthewind
Superman's power level seems to be all in his mind.
His actual power level doesn't have any real set limit...especially in the physical realm.

Jelly, is that you? confused

But thats not true. Superman has a power source. Sunlight.

And the amount of sunlight he has in his body, dictates what he can do.........Right??

Avalonofthewind
Originally posted by UniOmni
Jelly, is that you? confused

But thats not true. Superman has a power source. Sunlight.

And the amount of sunlight he has in his body, dictates what he can do.........Right??

What is this Jelly thing?

Yes, Sunlight is the catalyst but we aren't talking about a weakened Superman.

You're bringing up a standard everyday Supes, correct?

Validus
Of course it's dynamic. He can go all the way from John Byrne power level to Jeph Loeb. herbnana

Avalonofthewind
Originally posted by Validus
Of course it's dynamic. He can go all the way from John Byrne power level to Jeph Loeb. herbnana

laughing

batdude123

That's the funniest smilie I've ever seen. laughing

UniOmni
What is this Jelly thing?

Yes, Sunlight is the catalyst but we aren't talking about a weakened Superman.

You're bringing up a standard everyday Supes, correct?

Jelly is a superman fanboy of the highest level.

Actually, i gotta apologize for likening you to him.

Sorry embarrasment

But Superman doesn't have a true dynamic power level, i always thought.

He simply does what every other hero does, and stops holding back on occasion and accesses the full brunt of power within him.

Or is that line of thought wrong?

batdude123

Sorry embarrasment

He simply does what every other hero does, and stops holding back on occasion and accesses the full brunt of power within him.

COMPLETELY wrong. herb

UniOmni
COMPLETELY wrong. herb

How so?

And correct me if you will

Validus

Sorry embarrasment

Yeah, that was pretty low. Even for you.

batdude123
How so?

And correct me if you will

He has an unlimited power source. You do the math.

UniOmni

When did it become unlimited??

I thought it was yellow sunlight??

badabing
I've always wondered if Superman had a cap on the amount of sunlight he could absorb.

batdude123
When did it become unlimited??

I thought it was yellow sunlight??

For all intents and purposes, the sun is an unlimited power source for him. It has enough energy to run for another 5 billion years.

Avalonofthewind

Sorry embarrasment

I'd have to check out some of his posts, I may agree with some but probably not all. There is usually a scan and always a method to my madness.

Well, the first thing is that Hulk and Superman are 2 totally distinct characters. I'm not sure why people like comparing them as the only thing they have in common is that they both share Super strength.

Hulk directly gets stronger through his anger.

Supes does 2 things... the angrier he gets, the less he holds back and at the same time, the more solar energy he absorbs. In my opinion it's a much slower process of him powering up as compared to the Hulk. However since Superman is holding back less it may seem like it's completely dynamic.

The only exception to that is sundipping which quickly exponentially powers him up.

Seeing has Superman basically has very few physical limits (said by writers, not myself) he taps into very little of his power due to him being raised as a human. It's especially evident when he's pulling insane feats that lie beyond what most would consider his limits.

batdude123
Originally posted by badabing
I've always wondered if Superman had a cap on the amount of sunlight he could absorb.

Apparently not i.e Superman Prime. And if he does, it's so much that it's hard to comprehend.

UniOmni
I'd have to check out some of his posts, I may agree with some but probably not all. There is usually a scan and always a method to my madness.

Well, the first thing is that Hulk and Superman are 2 totally distinct characters. I'm not sure why people like comparing them as the only thing they have in common is that they both share Super strength.

Hulk directly gets stronger through his anger.

Supes does 2 things... the angrier he gets, the less he holds back and at the same time, the more solar energy he absorbs. In my opinion it's a much slower process of him powering up as compared to the Hulk. However since Superman is holding back less it may seem like it's completely dynamic.

Seeing has Superman basically has very few physical limits (said by writers, not myself) he taps into very little of his power due to him being raised as a human. It's especially evident when he's pulling insane feats that lie beyond what most would consider his limits.

But that contradicts all the other kryptonians/daxamites running around.

Zod wasn't raised to hold back.
Current Kara wasn't either.

And yet both are fighting and being beaten by Superman and those in his range.

He has little access due to being raised as a human, but they don't.

Whats their excuse for not imploding the galaxy when they breath deep??

Thats why i hate cockstroke writing. It makes everything skewed all over again.

Validus

Kara just destroyed Ultraman in 3-4 hits. jockey

batdude123
You gonna judge the match? mad

Validus
You gonna judge the match? mad
What match?

batdude123
Battle #6. herbwank

Validus
Battle #6. herbwank
Oh yeah....

I'm having a hard time judging. It's pretty close. At this point, I'll take bribes.

batdude123
herbnana

Avalonofthewind

Superman may just be different... Check out what Ion's take on it is...

He mentions everyone, kryptonians, and THEN Superman...
http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/331/ionzp0.th.jpg

Avalonofthewind
Originally posted by badabing

Doubtful, or this could never happen at all.

http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/6844/supesprimehp5.th.jpg

All star Superman is the only one shown with a cap to the amount he can absorb...at least to this point. Seeing that in his universe there is a Superman 1M (which means there is a Superman Prime)...even THAT is up for debate...

UniOmni
Kara just destroyed Ultraman in 3-4 hits. jockey

Yeah, i read it. But even thats not so bad.

But writers saying that Superman accesses little of his true power, due to being raised as a human contradicts Kara or Zod, who weren't raised as humans, and don't hold back at all, but are still trumphed by Superman, who mysteriously holds back the majority of his power.

Sometimes i'm convinced, that Superman isn't merely a probable descendent of Rao.
I won't be surprised if one day DC unveils that Superman is just Rao with amnesia and regression to birth.

But back to the topic.

Superman can't create/generate power within himself.
He can't do that.
Hulk can.

And thats why Hulk is dynamic, while Superman isn't.

He can access hidden levels of power though, and make it appear as though its dynamic.

But i maintain that the same goes for mostly all Superheros.

They all hold back.

And grit it out to pull for the win.

Superman has an immeasurable amount of energy in him. But its not unlimited. Or unlimited potential.

Superman can get as angry as he wants, but without the right scenario, he won't gain more power if he's already operating at the optimum level.
He needs outside forces to power him.

Validus
Superman may just be different... Check out what Ion's take on it is...

He mentions everyone, kryptonians, and THEN Superman...
http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/331/ionzp0.th.jpg
Do you think Superman not speaking to Kyle was just him being pissed someone took his number one spot? sad

Soleran

Your a blasphemer!

UniOmni
Do you think Superman not speaking to Kyle was just him being pissed someone took his number one spot? sad

Not Superman being pissed due to something shallow as that.
Thats against his nature.

Thats the writer being pissed that Superman isn't pissed about it, so now Superman is pissed at himself, due to an internal conflict.

So yeah, he's pissed at Ion. Happy Dance

Avalonofthewind

I thought that at first also, but when they did talk at the end of the issue it made perfect sense. Kyle was doing the same thing that Superman disapproved of from the white martians.

He was going way overboard in his involvements in things.

That's a whole other point either way. Ion basically claims that Superman is unique...even from other Kryptonians...

UniOmni
But what would possibly make him different??

And like i said, the whole Rao reborn thing won't surprise me when it happens.

Avalonofthewind
But what would possibly make him different??

And like i said, the whole Rao reborn thing won't surprise me when it happens.

That, my friend is a question only DC can answer. For now we know he's the ONLY kryptonian who can laugh off Omega beams.

He actually is a direct decendant of Rao (as stated by Cythonna) so I wouldn't be surprised if DC pulled that stunt.

Blair Wind
Oh yeah....

I'm having a hard time judging. It's pretty close. At this point, I'll take bribes.

has the money made it your way yet? shifty

UniOmni
Oh, i know he's directly descended.

But if they reveal that he's Rao reborn, it'd piss me off, but wouldn't ultimately surprise me, the way they cater to the Superfamily.

Blair Wind
can someone explain who Rao is?

UniOmni
Rao is the Sun God of Krypton, and the most powerful God of that Pantheon, iirc.

More than likely not the LT level God that some profess, but probably a decent skyfather type.
Though, iirc, he has no hardcore feats.

But was seen in a volume of Sandman iirc.

Batman Beyond
ok this is my opion but wouldent the sun be like lets say a gl ring. the ring has a 24hr time on it so you can use as much energy as you want within that 24hr limit(i believe it was hal jordan who did this once).

its just on a higher scale. superman has no limit on how much he can absorb and the sun will keep feeding him energy.

the sun is like the ring in a since it will burn and produce unlimited energy for superman within a certin amount of time. (the sun will continue to bur for a certin amount of time.)

UniOmni
True, but the dynamic power would allow him to generate his own power. And he's never done that. The sun is what powers him.

He can access previously hidden stores, but he can't simply create stores. Without sunlight, he's powerless.

Avalonofthewind
Rao is the Sun God of Krypton, and the most powerful God of that Pantheon, iirc.

More than likely not the LT level God that some profess, but probably a decent skyfather type.

Hmm... I was unaware that he's ever made an actual appearance, any links/info to that sandman issue?

Blair Wind
what avolon said

Blair Wind

so your saying that there could be an actual REASON as to why Superman can do half the crap he can do no expression

I would actually like them to say he is him just so I wouldnt sit here and wonder how rubbing your hands can seal a time/space hole What the f**k?

batdude123
Or use his body to seal up rifts in time/space as well. erm

MattDay
meh, must be intense heat caused by his body when he does that stuff, i mean if he can take the heat of the sun he must be able to exert heat that even the sun doesn't burn at causing unexplained things to happen, like closing space holes and such... just an idea!

lilnutta12
i seem to have missed the point here - i havent been on kmc in ages
a week or 2 actually.

i dont feel like reading all the posts so can some 1 keep me up to date on this plz

UniOmni
Originally posted by MattDay
meh, must be intense heat caused by his body when he does that stuff, i mean if he can take the heat of the sun he must be able to exert heat that even the sun doesn't burn at causing unexplained things to happen, like closing space holes and such... just an idea!

He doesn't take the heat of the sun.

He simply absorbs it and converts it into power.

It strengthens him, so theres a loophole there.

Toss him into a red sun, and see how badly he hurts.

But in the Sandman issue, iirc, he was simply talking with one of the Endless, like Death or Dreaming.

MattDay
i meen take as in be able to resist it to no harm, hence he can create intense heat from rubbing his hands together causing unknown effects to happen

Avalonofthewind
Interesting. Rao looks a whole lot like a sundipped Superman...

http://www.newsarama.com/Vertigo/Dream1_t.jpg

http://img323.imageshack.us/img323/1525/supesimperiexlc0.jpg

MattDay
indeed young padawan

UniOmni
Interesting. Rao looks a whole lot like a sundipped Superman...

http://www.newsarama.com/Vertigo/Dream1_t.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/avalonofthewind/supesimperiex.jpg

I actually find him to resemble the original firelord.

A Sun God should look like current Firelord. He has that Godly look.

Blair Wind
no expression superman has to be him......I find no other reason for him to be able to do half the crap he can do stick out tongue

batdude123
There is the good old "IT'S F*CKIN SUPERMAN!!!!" explanation. stick out tongue

Blair Wind
no expression

batdude123
Geo-Force 6/10. no expression

Blair Wind
laughing

batdude123
herbnana

Tron
herbnana

Now where he at, where he at, where he at, where he at...

Now there he go, there he go, there he go, there he go...

Mindship
With regard to how much power Superman can acquire through sunlight, this is something I had initially posted many months ago in another thread...

"One ton of TNT exploding yields over 4000 megajoules of energy. One megaton yields over 4000 terajoules.

Seems to me, in order to survive a one megaton blast, one would have to counter 4000 terajoules with an equal amount of energy, at least.

Thusly...
- On a sunny day, the amount of sunlight per square centimeter yields 0.1345 joules every ten seconds.
- An adult male has about 1.8 square meters of total skin surface area.
- If Superman were totally naked, he could perhaps absorb about 2500 joules in ten seconds. He needs 1.6 trillion times this amount to counter the energy of a 1 megaton bomb (4000 trillion divided by 2500).
- 1.6 trillion x 10 seconds is about 500,000 years. This is how long Kal El has to sunbathe to absorb enough power to survive 1 (one) "typical" nuclear explosion."

No Supes bashing intended here (heck, he's my #2 fave). But the math makes for an interesting perspective, I thought.

God only knows where Hulk gets his power from...though I have my theories on that as well...renske

batdude123
That obviously isn't the case, but nice job. thumb up

Mindship
Quite true...and thanks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.