The Economist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lil bitchiness
I just browsed through the magazine section at Borders and I picked up the new edition of The Economist. I love picking out the odd article in The Economist and reading it from time to time, because the views in some articles are just...stunning.

I detest this magazine more than I detest the ''women's'' magazines filled with useless advice on how to lose weight while getting a promotion at job, keeping your mom and friends happy, while getting those fabulous abs while giving a blow job.

The Economist is filled with generic and simplistic views on today's world, filled with ignorant as well as (in this issue) sexist comments and articles, which are doing nothing but enforcing a stupid stereotypes, with the lack of objectivity and substance, through brainless rants which are supposed to sound intelligent!

Does anyone read or has read The Economist?

Do you agree or disagree?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Oh, boy! I'm with you on this. Again.

Did you read the article regarding Blair's supposed influence on Bush by one of Bush's advisors?

"He's not a poodle! He has a voice!"

Bardock42
It seems people that hate that magazine are their target group. That's a pretty sweet concept actually, since it is so much easier to piss people than to convince them into actually liking what they read. Anyways, good job you two, you are the reason this magazine (I have never even heard of) exists. Give yourself a round of applause.

So, what was that part about blowjobs again?

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Bardock42
this magazine (I have never even heard of) exists.

Thats why your post is bullshit.

Because you have never seen, read, nor do you know what The Economist is supposed to do.

You don't know the theme, you don't know who writes it, and you don't know what they write, yet somehow you formed opinion about it.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Thats why your post is bullshit.

Because you have never seen, read, nor do you know what The Economist is supposed to do.

You don't know the theme, you don't know who writes it, and you don't know what they write, yet somehow you formed opinion about it.

Well, I like to call it a joke, but I guess Bullshit is a pretty much equal label indeed.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Bardock, you naughty boy! I don't buy the magazine, but I do occasionally read it. Anyway, if I only ever read articles that I agree with, I wouldn't be a very informed person, would I?

(I am, by the way. I am informed.)

lil bitchiness
Well, I like to call it a joke, but I guess Bullshit is a pretty much equal label indeed.

Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Bardock, you naughty boy! I don't buy the magazine, but I do occasionally read it. Anyway, if I only ever read articles that I agree with, I wouldn't be a very informed person, would I?

Heres the cheap way to do it.

www.economist.com

Bardock42

Well I have to believe you since you said it, right? Right?

Also, reading a magazine you didn't buy is evil. You might not understand it, but it's basically the same as going to a store, take a butterfinger and hide it in your pocket...then raping the hot shop clerk and killing everyone that ever visited the store (except yourself, of course) after making fun of a handicapped person.

Anyways, I'm not informed (and generally ignorant), so what is this Economist thingy about? Also, it has quite the great name, it should be good...not bad...but good.

Thank you there, lil.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Well I have to believe you since you said it, right? Right?

Yeah. Yeah, I think that's how it works. Also, I said it once rhetorically and twice explicitly, so I think you're, like, really supposed to believe me. Or something...

Also, reading a magazine you didn't buy is evil. You might not understand it, but it's basically the same as going to a store, take a butterfinger and hide it in your pocket...then raping the hot shop clerk and killing everyone that ever visited the store (except yourself, of course) after making fun of a handicapped person.

So, that's bad how? The thing about it being the same?

Bardock42
Yeah. Yeah, I think that's how it works. Also, I said it once rhetorically and twice explicitly, so I think you're, like, really supposed to believe me. Or something...

So, that's bad how? The thing about it being the same?

Good points, good points.

Anyways, are you two the only ones that actually read it? And are we three the only ones that actually want to talk about it (when I say actually I mean "not actually at all"wink?
Their Webpage sucks..I want someone to explain to me what it is.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Anyways, are you two the only ones that actually read it? And are we three the only ones that actually want to talk about it (when I say actually I mean "not actually at all"wink?
Their Webpage sucks..I want someone to explain to me what it is.

Hot sex. Cold shits. Wet blankets.

Alpha Centauri
I just browsed through the magazine section at Borders and I picked up the new edition of The Economist. I love picking out the odd article in The Economist and reading it from time to time, because the views in some articles are just...stunning.

I detest this magazine more than I detest the ''women's'' magazines filled with useless advice on how to lose weight while getting a promotion at job, keeping your mom and friends happy, while getting those fabulous abs while giving a blow job.

The Economist is filled with generic and simplistic views on today's world, filled with ignorant as well as (in this issue) sexist comments and articles, which are doing nothing but enforcing a stupid stereotypes, with the lack of objectivity and substance, through brainless rants which are supposed to sound intelligent!

I'll comment on this after I go do some irony...I mean ironing.

*Tsssssh, steam*.

Back, yeah The Economist, not all that.

-AC

Bardock42
Hot sex. Cold shits. Wet blankets.

QED, *****, QED.

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I'll comment on this after I go do some irony...I mean ironing.

*Tsssssh, steam*.

Back, yeah The Economist, not all that.

-AC

Haha, I get it, because that is a brainless rant which is supposed to sound intelligent itself, while condemning just those..haha, that's funny. Dude, you are mean.

Alpha Centauri
It's not even that I disagree with her, I see no point in sitting around discussing reading material I hate or dislike.

I just found the whole "So I was sitting in Borders (The book shop, reading, you know) and I picked up the new edition of The Economist (sips tea). I hate it when people try to sound intelligent." thing to be funny.

-AC

lord xyz
It seems people that hate that magazine are their target group. That's a pretty sweet concept actually, since it is so much easier to piss people than to convince them into actually liking what they read. Anyways, good job you two, you are the reason this magazine (I have never even heard of) exists. Give yourself a round of applause.

So, what was that part about blowjobs again? You know, at first I thought you were quite intelligent, but you show signs of arrogance and stupidity. I don't think I can take you seriously anymore. erm

Victor Von Doom
QED, *****, QED.

Haha, I get it, because that is a brainless rant which is supposed to sound intelligent itself, while condemning just those..haha, that's funny. Dude, you are mean.

Hahaha.

You're feigning only getting the joke on a deconstructed level, thereby stripping the original humour and hijacking it for evil purposes.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Hahaha.

You're feigning only getting the joke on a deconstructed level, thereby stripping the original humour and hijacking it for evil purposes.

Hahaha.

You're doing the....I wonder if that would go on forever.

Originally posted by lord xyz
You know, at first I thought you were quite intelligent, but you show signs of arrogance and stupidity. I don't think I can take you seriously anymore. erm

My heart..it is...bleeding.

lord xyz

My heart..it is...bleeding. no expression

lil bitchiness
It's not even that I disagree with her, I see no point in sitting around discussing reading material I hate or dislike.

I just found the whole "So I was sitting in Borders (The book shop, reading, you know) and I picked up the new edition of The Economist (sips tea). I hate it when people try to sound intelligent." thing to be funny.

-AC

Why don't you go do some more ''ironing''...for you apperantly.

Here comes the person who argues about things he hates on daily bases.

And here some more irony - you came to this thread not to contribute anything to the argument but to make a point of how you think the argument itself is stupid.

Yeah, go back to 'ironing'...

I don't only 'sound' intelligent, I am intelligent - and I have people skills too - in real life or otherwise.
Something you greatly lack.

PVS
i see where this is going

*milla slaps AC across the face*

*AC gropes milla*

*hot angry sex ensues*

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by PVS
i see where this is going

*milla slaps AC across the face*

*AC gropes milla*

*hot angry sex ensues*

Eww.

Do you wanna argue, PVS....?

PVS
Eww.

Do you wanna argue, PVS....?

shifty
sure...

...but i should shower first

Bardock42
I don't only 'sound' intelligent, I am intelligent - and I have people skills too - in real life or otherwise.

I may be old fashioned (no I'm not), but that's something you have to prove rather than to proclaim.

And here some more irony - you came to this thread not to contribute anything to the argument but to make a point of how you think the argument itself is stupid.

Although I have to admit the amount of ironing (haha, I use it too now, I'm cool, because it is a whole different thing, but they sound similar, it's so intelligent, I want to pat myself on the back just for using it, and I didn't even come up with this hilarious idea....) in that is quite enormous.

lil bitchiness
I may be old fashioned (no I'm not), but that's something you have to prove rather than to proclaim.

You're right.
Im proving myself to people who matter to me (in real life) every day.

Never hurt to proclaim though. Its just internet. Proclaim away.

Bardock42
You're right.
Im proving myself to people who matter to me (in real life) every day.

Never hurt to proclaim though. Its just internet. Proclaim away.

Yeah, I do that too, I try to do it a little less obvious. For example by calling out people who proclaim themselves to be smart I hope to achieve an image that makes me look smart, I think it works...well, worked until now...good job Bard...good job.

Alpha Centauri

That's not irony, because I don't try to make myself look intelligent, I'm comfortable enough in myself not to do that. Had I tried to, then irony would be consistent. You're the one who took exception to my three line post, so who are you trying to convince here?

Since we're on the subject, let's be honest, shall we? There's a difference between containing knowledge from certain experiences, educational or otherwise, that you can constantly reference to make yourself look intelligent, and actually being intelligent.

You can spout off all the references you desire, but the fact is that you reveal yourself to be nothing more than booksmart on steroids everytime you try to contribute your own created opinion to an intelligent debate. You're the kind of "intelligent" that impresses people who aren't intelligent, because they know no better.

So before you moan at me for replying to you, I made a three line comment that you didn't have to reply to, if it was so pathetic, yet you did.

-AC

Bardock42
Well, saying that it's ironic to argue about something you hate (a magazine in this case) and actually doing it yourself every day is kind of ironic. Well, maybe even the very definition...but I still love you AC.

Alpha Centauri
Well, saying that it's ironic to argue about something you hate (a magazine in this case) and actually doing it yourself every day is kind of ironic. Well, maybe even the very definition...but I still love you AC.

There's a clear difference between starting a thread to say "Look how much I hate this, let's talk about it." and contributing posts to an already existing discussion, which might not even be something I "hate", just dislike.

E.g: Music Forum, I don't consistently post in Avril Lavigne's thread, because I hate the music. Nothing to discuss.

Furthermore, I was pointing out an entirely different case of irony.

But I still like you a bit, Bardock.

-AC

Bardock42
There's a clear difference between starting a thread to say "Look how much I hate this, let's talk about it." and contributing posts to an already existing discussion, which might not even be something I "hate", just dislike.

E.g: Music Forum, I don't consistently post in Avril Lavigne's thread, because I hate the music. Nothing to discuss.

Furthermore, I was pointing out an entirely different case of irony.

But I still like you a bit, Bardock.

-AC
That is certainly true and I also know that you were referring to a different case of irony in lil b's posts (which is certainly there, no doubt about it), just that the irony lil b pointed out is existent as well.

And only a bit? I feel insulted. Like that dude yesterday I called an ugly ass bastard.

lil bitchiness
That's not irony, because I don't try to make myself look intelligent, I'm comfortable enough in myself not to do that. Had I tried to, then irony would be consistent. You're the one who took exception to my three line post, so who are you trying to convince here?

Since we're on the subject, let's be honest, shall we? There's a difference between containing knowledge from certain experiences, educational or otherwise, that you can constantly reference to make yourself look intelligent, and actually being intelligent.

You can spout off all the references you desire, but the fact is that you reveal yourself to be nothing more than booksmart on steroids everytime you try to contribute your own created opinion to an intelligent debate. You're the kind of "intelligent" that impresses people who aren't intelligent, because they know no better.

So before you moan at me for replying to you, I made a three line comment that you didn't have to reply to, if it was so pathetic, yet you did.

-AC

http://img432.imageshack.us/img432/3500/moronks0.gif

Bardock42
http://img432.imageshack.us/img432/3500/moronks0.gif

Haha, funny picture, but quite inappropriate as well as not important to the conversation. I think I have to report you.

Just kidding...I don't report....I don't believe in it...also I'm scared.

Alpha Centauri
"Out! Out! You demons of stupidity!" Said the girl doing who's doing what's known as a Sithsaber.

If you are going to reply, at least have the decency to make it an actual, intelligible post. It doesn't bode well for someone saying "I Am intelligent.".

That is certainly true and I also know that you were referring to a different case of irony in lil b's posts (which is certainly there, no doubt about it), just that the irony lil b pointed out is existent as well.

And only a bit? I feel insulted. Like that dude yesterday I called an ugly ass bastard.

It's not, because I don't discuss things I actually "hate" on an everyday basis, unless there is a fruitful discussion to be had.

I refer you to my Music Forum example.

-AC

WrathfulDwarf
*WD enters*

Victor Von Doom
That would have been implied when you posted, I imagine.

Bardock42
It's not, because I don't discuss things I actually "hate" on an everyday basis, unless there is a fruitful discussion to be had.

-AC

Dude, I read every post in the "American Idol" thread in the OTF....you won't fool me (or the children of the revolution...shit, I'm mainstream).

lil bitchiness
"Out! Out! You demons of stupidity!" Said the girl doing who's doing what's known as a Sithsaber.

If you are going to reply, at least have the decency to make it an actual, intelligible post. It doesn't bode well for someone saying "I Am intelligent.".

-AC

baby waaa waaa

Bardock42
That would have been implied when you posted, I imagine.

Great, he has to show off his superior intelligence again. Why don't you rub it in our stupid face....rhetorical question (maybe more pointless than actually rhetorical)...you do already.

Alpha Centauri
Another stellar contribution there, Milla. Did you get that from The Independent on Sunday?

Dude, I read every post in the "American Idol" thread in the OTF....you won't fool me (or the children of the revolution...shit, I'm mainstream).

Yes, now read that quote again, and complete the equation.

Furthermore, I don't "hate" American Idol, I wouldn't get rid of it if I could, it has it's place and purpose.

-AC

PVS
*PVS picks his nose*

Bardock42
baby waaa waaa

Okay, this thread floats down the Liffey...

botankus
Cheap ads for The Economist are beginning to pop up on Internet banners. Now I hate it more than all of you!!!!

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by botankus
Cheap ads for The Economist are beginning to pop up on Internet banners. Now I hate it more than all of you!!!!

You've got to give them credit for bringing people views that aren't expressed. Both profound and groundbreaking.

Such as:

"SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
The mismeasure of woman;
Men and women think differently. But not that differently.".

You learn a new thing everyday, apparantly.

-AC

PVS
"SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
The mismeasure of woman;
Men and women think differently. But not that differently."

thats deep...but not that deep at all

Victor Von Doom
Okay, this thread floats down the Liffey...

Like Ulysses.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by PVS
thats deep...but not that deep at all

I know, it's astounding.

"Ok, buddy, chill out. We don't all watch Frasier, alright?".

I genuinely wonder what the point of that article is, though. "Women think differently, but look, not that much.". What did they hope to achieve by covering that?

Like Ulysses.

Which you spell R-E-A-D...I-N-G...reading.

-AC

WrathfulDwarf
How much does it cost to buy a copy?

PVS
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
How much does it cost to buy a copy?

only about $3.00 and a few million neurons

WrathfulDwarf
Pretty similar Newsweek....hmm..

Alpha Centauri
Since other, better newspapers are only about 40p, I'd say not much more. Any more than 40p and you might as well ask for a limb.

-AC

PVS
newsweek? thats the best you could come up with?
you should check out the new york post of daily news.
brain cell holocaust just by looking at the cover page.

WrathfulDwarf
For .50cents I can buy a newpaper and be more informed...but nowadays we have the internet.

Alpha Centauri
What's the average cover about, on a standard American newspaper?

Because over here, there's one or two newspapers that feature the actual news on the front, more often than not. The rest are about celebrities sleeping with someone.

-AC

PVS
What's the average cover about, on a standard American newspaper?

Because over here, there's one or two newspapers that feature the actual news on the front, more often than not. The rest are about celebrities sleeping with someone.

-AC

depends on the paper. however we have the papers i mentioned which are basically daily tabloids passed of as real news. while there are three wars going on and countless people dying, their headline last week was

MAD MEL!

of coarse referring to osama bin gibson.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by PVS
depends on the paper. however we have the papers i mentioned which are basically daily tabloids passed of as real news. while there are three wars going on and countless people dying, their headline last week was

MAD MEL!

of coarse referring to osama bin gibson.

I can't take Mel Gibson's face seriously after that South Park episode.

-AC

WrathfulDwarf
I think "Drunken Mel" has a better punchline.

Fëanor
I think "Drunken Mel" has a better punchline. ...or Melly Mel. oooh, could be a start of a new career in rap.

WrathfulDwarf
^Oooh! Even better.

But going back to The Economist...basically is a Political News magazine. You can't expect it to be a reliable source. No political magazine can really take a bias stand. It's mostly editorial and opinions.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Like Ulysses.

I've read that. With my eyes. I'm smart?

Pretty similar Newsweek....hmm..

Pff! Newsweek? Newsweek is a tabloid! I read it when I'm feeling like a Bardock. At all other times I read The Spectator and The New Yorker. Yeah, 'me'.

Bardock42
I've read that. With my eyes. I'm smart?

Pff! Newsweek? Newsweek is a tabloid! I read it when I'm feeling like a Bardock. At all other times I read The Spectator and The New Yorker. Yeah, 'me'.

No. You'd be smart if you had read it with your nose. Now you are just average. Good job, Floo.

What's wrong with Newsweek? It is a good and informative source of slight entertainment.

xmarksthespot
"Out! Out! You demons of stupidity!" Said the girl doing who's doing what's known as a Sithsaber.When did he become a verb? I'd think you need to do a bit more to become the next Xerox or Google...

Did somebody steal my ironing thing I stole from Simpsons. sad

Is the thread supposed to increase awareness of the Economist...? Sort of like "Don't look down."
Originally posted by botankus
Cheap ads for The Economist are beginning to pop up on Internet banners. Now I hate it more than all of you!!!! Firefox. No ads. erm

BackFire

Now, wait just a damn minute, you're telling me girls can get fabulous abs while giving a blowjob, and it's BAD for a magazine to inform women of this? Everymagazine/movie/videogame/bible/church/song/show should inform people of this, the more women that know, the better.

Oh, and I've never heard of this magazine. It sounds boring, I'd rather read about these blowjobs that work the abs out. I think I shall call them Blow J-abs.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
No. You'd be smart if you had read it with your nose. Now you are just average. Good job, Floo.

After I read it with my eyes, I ate it with my nose. Do I get smart points for that?

What's wrong with Newsweek? It is a good and informative source of slight entertainment.

I was being snooty.

*snoots*

Bardock42
After I read it with my eyes, I ate it with my nose. Do I get smart points for that?

I was being snooty.

*snoots*

No, but you get points for the correct usage of the italics function.

You always are...you always are...like...someone who always is.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by PVS
*PVS picks his nose*

That...is officially the sexiest post in this thread droolio

Originally posted by BackFire
Now, wait just a damn minute, you're telling me girls can get fabulous abs while giving a blowjob, and it's BAD for a magazine to inform women of this? Everymagazine/movie/videogame/bible/church/song/show should inform people of this, the more women that know, the better.

Oh, and I've never heard of this magazine. It sounds boring, I'd rather read about these blowjobs that work the abs out. I think I shall call them Blow J-abs.

You heard it here first!

Its a good way to convince your girlfriend how blow job is actually good for HER.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I don't about it actually being god, but a blow-job certainly takes me closer to heaven.

Ah-haw-haw-haw.

lil bitchiness
I don't about it actually being god, but a blow-job certainly takes me closer to heaven.

Ah-haw-haw-haw.

Har har har har! FIXED!

Modly powers to the rescue.

Imperial_Samura

I read a fair few magazines on the subjects of foreign affairs and/or the economy, and I remember way back thinking with a name like "The Economist" it would be something I'd read.

What I found left a bad taste in my mouth, at times it gives of such a "good old boy smoking room" vibe its not funny. So yes, I agree entirely with what your say. I'm surprised it has survived on the market as long as it has, but it just goes to show that there is a market for some of the drivel it contains, when there are so many better publications out there.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.