How much can elves change?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draugwen
All right, this question might probably sound a little weird... Just think of an elf (elf A) that got to know another elf (elf B) while elf A was still a child, let's say at about the end of the First Age. Then they get parted for some reason and meet again shortly before the end of the Second Age. Supposing elf B has gone through a hard time and that changed him a lot, do you think elf A would still recognize him? Do you think an elf would be able to change so much, or maybe make himself appear changed, that another whom he's lived together with for some years wouldn't recognize him any more? Even if they lived together for some centuries maybe?
Ahm... guess I am confusing... confused Anyone able to help me?

thefallen544
I don't think they can, unlike humans I think it is harder for the elven folk to change their natural appearance. For example they do not even begin to grow beards until their third cycle of life. Elrond hasn't even reached this stage yet. Only Cirdan the Shipwright is seen in the main story as the only elf with a beard. Whilst becoming world weary can age and change an elfs looks to some degree I don't think personally they would change that much so as not to be recognised.

Belegūr
Elf-bodies can endure much more physical- and emotial-pain than can those of humans, although they doubtless endure far more over the years.

For reference and more info., I'd suggest reading the essay entitled "Laws and Customs of the Eldar" given in Morgoth's Ring, (pp.207-253).

Draugwen
Gotta have that first before I can read it stick out tongue But thanks you two, your answers were helping me a lot big grin

Belegūr
laughing out loud

I'd quote, but I'd like to not be sued. stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.