Telepathy vs Psionic Manipulation

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ExodusCloak
Which attack works the fastest?

Shutting down someones brain via Telepathy or Summoning a Bolt of lightning via Psionic Manipulation.

I have found make that 3 people(All Storm fans) on these boards that say telepathy does not work at the speed of thought.

Discuss.

Apolloknight
Originally posted by ExodusCloak

Shutting down someones brain via Telepathy or Summoning a Bolt of lightning via Psionic Manipulation.

I have found two people on these boards that say telepathy does not work work at the speed of thought.

Discuss.

It depends on what is being Psoniclly manipulated, in this case, a bolt of lighting, (although not slow in the very least) would be much slower then then shutting off someones brain, even if it just took a millisecond longer. Look at it like this.

A. Time to shut off someones brain=Speed of thought

B. Time to summon a bolt of lighting=Speed of thought+time for the bolt of lighting to reach the target

So it this case, even though both will be thinking at the same speed, Person B's brain will be shut off first, if their lighting bolt is still summoned, Person A still has a chance to dodge it, the bolt could miss or just vanish since it was summoned, because the summoner is a vegetable at this point.

But in a different scenario, lets say, Person B has to the power to psoniclly manipulate, lets say reality, Person B stands a much better chance.

B. Time to manipulate another person into jello=Speed of thought

So I would say in case 2, it just comes down to who wants it more, is person B highly immune to telepathic assaults, enough to slow person A down just a tad? Or is person "A" a God? Capable of toying with the minds of cosmics beings?

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by Apolloknight
It depends on what is being Psoniclly manipulated, in this case, a bolt of lighting, (although not slow in the very least) would be much slower then then shutting off someones brain, even if it just took a millisecond longer. Look at it like this.

B. Time to summon a bolt of lighting=Speed of thought+time for the bolt of lighting to reach the target

So it this case, even though both will be thinking at the same speed, Person B's brain will be shut off first, if their lighting bolt is still summoned, Person A still has a chance to dodge it, the bolt could miss or just vanish since it was summoned, because the summoner is a vegetable at this point.

But in a different scenario, lets say, Person B has to the power to psoniclly manipulate, lets say reality, Person B stands a much better chance.

So I would say in case 2, it just comes down to who wants it more, is person B highly immune to telepathic assaults, enough to slow person A down just a tad? Or is person "A" a God? Capable of toying with the minds of cosmics beings?

Thanks for the input. However those 3 people are saying that telepathy has never shown to act at the speed of thought in the comics. They say it takes longer to shut off someones brain.

UniOmni
Thanks for the input. However those 3 people are saying that telepathy has never shown to act at the speed of thought in the comics. They say it takes longer to shut off someones brain.

They are partly right.
Tp in comics is normally a process.
Tp usage in comics normally includes a boast about the power of the mind, some grimacing and finally success.
About 2-5 minutes long.
It is faster to simply shoot a bolt of lightning out to ko the tper.

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by UniOmni
They are partly right.
Tp usage in comics normally includes a boast about the power of the mind, some grimacing and finally success.
About 2-5 minutes long.

2-5 minutes? What about shutting off messing with someones brain...
http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/2473/telepathy5ot.jpg
http://img319.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newxmen11811nn1.jpg

Apolloknight
Originally posted by UniOmni
They are partly right.
About 2-5 minutes long.

Even still, that doesnt work on these forums. Telepaths have shown in comcis to shut off peoples minds and powers at will, like you said there is a bunch of talking that last for 2-5 pages, but here we have to remove all that. If a telepath thinks something, it happens, just like that. So if a telepath wants to mndwipe someone, its going to happen the instant they think it, without the rambling on for 2-5 pages.

don't shiv

too many times to call we've seen a telepath especially powerfull ones like phoenix mindwiping. Invariably the mindwipee gasps

"what are you doing ta' me?!?"

"get outta my mind"

"NNngg"

"Aaaaiiee!"

then all is quiet.

Case Study on the other SIDE .

Psionic Manipulator Dr Cecilia Reyes TK shields
"seems to have a mind of its own."

As seen in Operation Zero Tolerance resucitating a Prime Sentinel at Mercy General Hospital,

the shield/protective aura rose before the psionic manipulator's concious thought proccess registered a threat,

Juntai
Originally posted by Apolloknight

So I would say in case 2, it just comes down to who wants it more, is person B highly immune to telepathic assaults, enough to slow person A down just a tad? Or is person "A" a God? Capable of toying with the minds of cosmics beings? You left out RESISTANCE in your factors of comparing shutting mind down to summoning lightning. Mentally dominating and shutting someone down requires you to beat their will. You don't have to mentally out-macho anyone when you're summoning lightning.

FireIncarnate
It all depends on if the person being mind wiped has a strong will.

If he/she doesn't, then Telepathy wins out, if she does, then a battle of wills ensue, thus taking time, and allowing TK to pick up the win via a lightning bolt or disembodiment.

**FI**

Avalonofthewind
Originally posted by Juntai
You left out RESISTANCE in your factors of comparing shutting mind down to summoning lightning. Mentally dominating and shutting someone down requires you to beat their will. You don't have to mentally out-macho anyone when you're summoning lightning.

You beat me to it.

don't shiv
You left out RESISTANCE in your factors of comparing shutting mind down to summoning lightning. Mentally dominating and shutting someone down requires you to beat their will. You don't have to mentally out-macho anyone when you're summoning lightning.

Good call.

xmarksthespot
You left out RESISTANCE in your factors of comparing shutting mind down to summoning lightning. Mentally dominating and shutting someone down requires you to beat their will. You don't have to mentally out-macho anyone when you're summoning lightning. You can't resist attack on subconscious functions. Motor control. Orgasms. Pain centres. Epileptic fit. "Shut down."

HandOfFate

I agree with you too. If the person has a naturally strong will then they have a chance of resisting telepathy. If said person also has an ability that interferes with telepathy, then their chance of defending themselves go even higher.

In short, telepathy is not an instant win, if it was the X-Men wouldn't have as many battles as they do.

Originally posted by xmarksthespot
You can't resist attack on subconscious functions. Motor control. Orgasms. Pain centres. Epileptic fit. "Shut down."

It depends on who your talking about.

Example: Jean using Cerebra couldn't get into Storm's pleasure center (That sounds so nasty, now that I think about.stick out tongue)
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/9996/stormandphoenixgo7.th.jpg

Sin I AM
co-sign..........Telepaths would "never" lose if thought equaled actrion, unless in extreme cases where it was a high-end tp battling a weak individual or taking over some1 who was completely unaware of an impending assault........

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by HandOfFate
It depends on who your talking about.

Example: Jean using Cerebra couldn't get into Storm's pleasure center (That sounds so nasty, now that I think about.stick out tongue)
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/9996/stormandphoenixgo7.th.jpg From across the globe and Jean was trying to access taste through a psychic probe. She wasn't issuing a psychic command. "Emergency shut down!" Esme to Sage who actually has telepathic powers and uses them to block others from controlling her.

Psi-blast. Storm goes down. As she has before.

don't shiv
You can't resist attack on subconscious functions. Motor control. Orgasms. Pain centres. Epileptic fit. "Shut down."

Here we go again.

HandOfFate
From across the globe and Jean was trying to access taste through a psychic probe. She wasn't issuing a psychic command.

Are we talking about the same Jean who stored the Professor entier consciousness within her own and the split it across the world using Cereba?
"Emergency shut down!" Esme to Sage who actually has telepathic powers and uses them to block others from controlling her.

That comes more from the fact that Grant consider Sage more of a computer then a telepath. Read the story again, you will see he didn't write her as a telepath.

xmarksthespot
Are we talking about the same Jean who stored the Professor entier consciousness within her own and the split it across the world using Cereba?Probably not since she began accessing Phoenix power in that arch. Unless you think Phoenix Jean can't defeat Storm.
That comes more from the fact that Grant consider Sage more of a computer then a telepath. Read the story again, you will see he didn't write her as a telepath. It's just a single example. Psi-blast. Storm goes down. As she has before. Most people go down unless they're actually immune like Psylocke. Some can resist control, still go down to psi-blasts.
Originally posted by don't shiv
Here we go again. Says the individual who tries to come up with inane ways for Storm to beat WW, which wouldn't work anyway. no expression

HandOfFate
Probably not since she began accessing Phoenix power in that arch. Unless you think Phoenix Jean can't defeat Storm.

Look at you trying to change the conversation.stick out tongue

don't shiv
I agree with you too. If the person has a naturally strong will then they have a chance of resisting telepathy. If said person also has an ability that interferes with telepathy, then their chance of defending themselves go even higher.

In short, telepathy is not an instant win, if it was the X-Men wouldn't have as many battles as they do.

It Depends on who your talking about.

Exactly, Reference Mutant Massacre files

Sabretooth is shrugging off Psylockes telepathy Psylocke elicts the aid of WOLVERINE & A Posse of X-men to distract Sabretooth by engaging him in physical combat, coz " his natural defenses are too high"

Then theres the scene in Cable "Fathers & Sons" where Stryfe scythes Syrin with a vicious psi blast then observes how Siryn lacks basic skills in psychic defense."

LIKE HAND OF FATE said the effectiveness of Telepathy in combat is consistent with the degree to which the antagonist is drilled in defence.

veterans like Mr Sinister, Apocalypse, Batman, Gambit, Storm, "Rogue", "The Skorrn", "Irene Merryweather" "Magneto", "Juggernaught" have various defense mechanisms against Telepaths.

don't shiv

X said Orgasms

Juntai
X said Orgasms Heh.

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by Sin I AM
co-sign..........Telepaths would "never" lose if thought equaled actrion, unless in extreme cases where it was a high-end tp battling a weak individual or taking over some1 who was completely unaware of an impending assault........

In the X-Mens case everyone seems to have those things called telepathic blockers ie Stryker, O.N.E, S.W.O.R.D, S.H.I.E.L.D. Some have a high degree of telepathy themselves ie Selene, Nova, Exodus, Mr Sinister, Apocalypse, helmets and skull caps that protect them ie Juggs, Magneto and some just have technology that makes them immune ie Apocalypse and War. Or the X-Men fight some alien/machine cyborg thing which doesn't have a brain. I almost forgot the mutant dampener devices.
As for the earlier fights when Emma wasn't Headmistress, Xavier and Jean were bound to their code of ethics. Now with Emma as headmistress she rarely ever gets a chance to fight, or when she does she usually fights people with TP blockers or bad guys who are immune to it ie Danger. Once these blockers are removed she immediately capitalizes on this opportunity with her telepathy.
The X-good guys just seem to get owned by telepathy. Beast, Cyke, Wolverine, Jean and Xavier by Nova. Rogue and Jean by Exodus. Wolvey, Colossus and Storm by Evil Emma. Rachel by Vulcan. Emma by Kid Omega and Dark Phoenix.

And finally the most important point of them all, comics would really suck if telepaths knocked out their opponents immediately that's why they is enough PIS and CIS to ensure telepaths do something stupid.

Mindship
I have found make that 3 people(All Storm fans) on these boards that say telepathy does not work at the speed of thought.
Discuss.

H'mm. Both a telepathic attack and a psionic lightning attack are initiated by thoughts in the attacker's brain. And the "speed of thought," in this regard, is what? 3 feet/sec in unmylineated neurons? 300 feet/sec in mylineated neurons (about Mach 0.3)? Not mind-boggling fast. Assuming no "accelerated" electrochemical impulses (ala Flash-style) for one party over the other, we are still on equal ground.

Now lightning is fast: it travels at about half lightspeed. Telepathy, on the other hand, has never even been proven to be a real phenomenon, though studies going as far back as the 1920s at Duke University suggest that "psychic" abilities function independent of distance and barriers. The only thing we know of for sure which seems to function that way is quantum phenomena (eg, tunneling, entanglement), which, in effect, appear "faster-than-light."

At this point, telepathy would seem to be the faster attack. But there is more...

1. How quickly can psionic manipulation summon/generate lightning?
2. How quickly can the telepath's intent effect the target brain?
Both of these factors would appear to be writer-dependent, and thus the only way to come to a conclusion is to compile in-panel feats of both.

Just my 2-cents worth.

ExodusCloak
Damn...sorry about the double post my 15 minutes were up...

As for the resistance to telepathy thing. Characters who have shown resistance to telepathy usually only fight off certain attacks. ie Rogue, Wolverine and Storm. These usually include probing, mind control and recently a behaviour configuration thing.
However when it comes to other telepathic attacks all 3 of those characters have been subdued. ie Brain Shutdown, Psi-Blast, Psi-Force Bolt.

And then you have Nova who just happens to own everyone with her telepathy.

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by Mindship
H'mm. Both a telepathic attack and a psionic lightning attack are initiated by thoughts in the attacker's brain. And the "speed of thought," in this regard, is what? 3 feet/sec in unmylineated neurons? 300 feet/sec in mylineated neurons (about Mach 0.3)? Not mind-boggling fast. Assuming no "accelerated" electrochemical impulses (ala Flash-style) for one party over the other, we are still on equal ground.

Now lightning is fast: it travels at about half lightspeed. Telepathy, on the other hand, has never even been proven to be a real phenomenon, though studies going as far back as the 1920s at Duke University suggest that "psychic" abilities function independent of distance and barriers. The only thing we know of for sure which seems to function that way is quantum phenomena (eg, tunneling, entanglement), which, in effect, appear "faster-than-light."

At this point, telepathy would seem to be the faster attack. But there is more...

1. How quickly can psionic manipulation summon/generate lightning?
2. How quickly can the telepath's intent effect the target brain?
Both of these factors would appear to be writer-dependent, and thus the only way to come to a conclusion is to compile in-panel feats of both.

Just my 2-cents worth.

You mean like this:

Storm
This is her summoning winds.
http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=airpressurea2cr.jpg

Lightning
http://img146.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=06744__hr_Page_20_545lo.jpg
http://img125.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=07019__hr_Page_21_307lo.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stormvshumantorch8yw.jpg

http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xtremexmen22p20hgwellsyd0.jpg
http://img432.imageshack.us/my.php?image=molecularclothing9rg.jpg

Esme
http://img68.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newxmen14121bx8.jpg

Emma
http://img155.imagevenue.com/loc434/th_22916_House_of_M_05_page_11_434lo.jpg
http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/2473/telepathy5ot.jpg
http://img319.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newxmen11811nn1.jpg
http://img158.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=05156_Uncanny_X_Men_129_16_303lo.jpg
http://img375.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xtremexmen22p17hgwellsod3.jpg
http://img40.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=05296_Uncanny_X_Men_1980_03_131_07_438lo.jpg
http://img109.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=05601_Uncanny_X_Men_1980_03_131_10_428lo.jpg
These four go together:
http://img9.imagevenue.com/loc462/th_23459_X_Men__Deadly_Genesis_01_page_06_462lo.jpg
http://img150.imagevenue.com/loc376/th_23738_X_Men__Deadly_Genesis_01_page_07_376lo.jpg
http://img18.imagevenue.com/loc403/th_24046_X_Men__Deadly_Genesis_01_page_08_403lo.jpg
http://img145.imagevenue.com/loc559/th_24131_X_Men__Deadly_Genesis_01_page_12_559lo.jpg

Nova

These two go together:
http://img158.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lastscanva7.jpg
http://img464.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cnhc7.jpg

These three go together:

http://img148.imagevenue.com/loc471/th_24901_Untitled_Scanned_06_471lo.jpg

http://img150.imagevenue.com/loc312/th_25033_Untitled_Scanned_10_312lo.jpg

http://img12.imagevenue.com/loc507/th_25196_Untitled_Scanned_11_507lo.jpg

I need more Storm, I'll be back.

HandOfFate
I hope this doesn't get me in trouble for posting a link to another site but ...

Storm RESPECT thread
http://www.superherochat.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=112411

If this is a problem, please delete. big grin

IIRC, you can also find a thread for Namor and Magneto

Mindship
ExodusCloak
Nice scans.
I did not analyze each one in depth, so I may've missed something. But from the looks of it, generally, a telepathic attack seems to be just a bit faster. I mean, Storm summoning wind or lightning seems to occur in the time it takes for her to monologue/dialogue with another character. With a telepathic attack, though, sometimes it seems as if the attack has already occurred, and the character talking is after the fact. Frankly, that sequence of events does make more sense to me.

ExodusCloak
I hope this doesn't get me in trouble for posting a link to another site but ...

Storm RESPECT thread
http://www.superherochat.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=112411

If this is a problem, please delete. big grin

IIRC, you can also find a thread for Namor and Magneto

You should consider making a Storm respect thread for KMC, god knows more females need them.(I got a few good scans regarding Storm) if you start one I'll post them, but it all depends on imageshack. Imagevenue doesn't permanently keep the scans up) I'm getting ready to start an Emma one. I just need to get a better internet connection.

BTW Thanks for posting the link.

ExodusCloak
Nice scans.
I did not analyze each one in depth, so I may've missed something. But from the looks of it, generally, a telepathic attack seems to be just a bit faster. I mean, Storm summoning wind or lightning seems to occur in the time it takes for her to monologue/dialogue with another character. With a telepathic attack, though, sometimes it seems as if the attack has already occurred, and the character talking is after the fact. Frankly, that sequence of events does make more sense to me.

No problem and thanks for the input.

stormfront13

i think your getting confused. about what some of us are saying. tyhis is what i meant if your refering to me.

1)telepathy works at the speed of thought- yes...we agree on that

2)shutting down someones mind however does not occur at the speed of thought.

see the difference between what i'm saying?

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by stormfront13
i think your getting confused. about what some of us are saying. tyhis is what i meant if your refering to me.

1)telepathy works at the speed of thought- yes...we agree on that

2)shutting down someones mind however does not occur at the speed of thought.

see the difference between what i'm saying?

You said a telepathic attack does not connect at the speed of thought right?

Shutting someones mind is just a brain command that targets subconscious reflexes.

See the scans and then give me an honest opinion.

Particularly this one.

http://img155.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=22916_House_of_M_05_page_11_434lo.jpg

Here's another one, not as good as the first but good nonetheless.
http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wolverineorigins55up0.jpg

stormfront13
See the scans and then give me an honest opinion.

i've seen the scans and my opinion still stands

no...i said it connects at the speed of thought, but the action of shutting down someones vrain does not occur at the speed of thought

that scan doesn't prove much. there is nothing involving someone having their mind shut down. emma is just telepathically commanding somsone to do something who happens to have no psionic protection at all, which is about right

once again. nothing involving any shutting down of the brain. just communicating telepathically, which is no big deal whatsoever. btw what comic is that scan from.

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by stormfront13
i've seen the scans and my opinion still stands
Fair enough...

Hmm...I think I'm seeing what you're saying kind of, if the command connects at the speed of thought like we agree then it'll take another subconcious automated thought from the opponent to switch off.
Meaning the telepath thinks, and the opponent takes another subconcious automated thought to switch off. If the command was to however numb the entire brain, meaning the pulses in the brain are stopped then it should be instant.
Fair enough...I think I can agree with that.

They were to show that telepathic commands connect at the speed of thought.

Wolverine Origins #5.

montrail
For these "3" people I hope it isn't me because I know for a fact that telepthy moves at the speed of though....so does psionic manipulation.

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by montrail
For these "3" people I hope it isn't me because I know for a fact that telepthy moves at the speed of though....so does psionic manipulation.

Not you montrail, I haven't seen you in days. wink

Anyway I misunderstood their interpretation. I thought they meant that telepathic attacks don't connect at the speed of thought. But they are right in way when they say another subconcious thought from the enemy is required to pull off a mind shut down. However if a telepath decided to numb the entire brain so no pulses flow, then the shut down should be instant.

Mindship
The speed of neural impulses is, at best, about mach 0.3. So I'm curious: what does everyone consider the "speed of thought" to be?

rotiart
Its almost as fast as the speed of lint. Almost. But not quite.

What If...
I don't really see why you keep bringing this up.

Threads with telepaths will always be " *charcter* instantly shuts down their mind"
Then a meaningless debate of who strikes faster will emerge, when there is really no clear answer.

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by What If...
I don't really see why you keep bringing this up.

Threads with telepaths will always be " *charcter* instantly shuts down their mind"
Then a meaningless debate of who strikes faster will emerge, when there is really no clear answer.

That's why Mindship suggested the on panel evidence idea.
One character has to manipulate weather patterns via thought in order to generate an attack. The other has to think and wait for the effect to take place depending on their attack.

don't shiv
Random & Systemic Uncertainty

ExodusCloak
Random & Systemic Uncertainty

Not really I just realized that we forgot one little thing about Storms powers.

She thinks and manipulates weather patterns inorder to generate lightning.

So it's actually Speed of thought + Speed of Weather Patterns + Speed of Light.

BTW Since the speed of weather patterns differ from place to place and Storm manipulates weather patterns it should be assumed that the Weather patterns move at their optimum speed.

So as said before the process of activating the manipulation is at the speed of thought, but the production of the bolt is at the speed of weather patterns + the speed of light.

xmarksthespot
Lightning doesn't travel at the speed of light.

don't shiv
The Energies of Lightning Exist in the Visible Light spectrum.

Ergo

Light-ning = Light Speed

Mindship
Lightning, per se, is an electrical discharge, with particles of matter (electrons) moving at about 0.5 cee. This aspect of lightning is not visible. What one sees is the light being generated from the air being superheated (to about 50,000oF) superfast by this electrical energy--that part moves at lightspeed, but not the 1-10 gigawatts of electricity itself.

btw, just as a point of interest: some lightning bolts, sometimes called "superbolts," generate about 100 gW of power: enough to light up the whole Eastern seaboard of the USA. Pretty impressive, I think.

don't shiv
Shocking.

Mindship
laughing out loud

Cosmic Flame

ExodusCloak
Lightning doesn't travel at the speed of light.

Lightning, per se, is an electrical discharge, with particles of matter (electrons) moving at about 0.5 cee. This aspect of lightning is not visible. What one sees is the light being generated from the air being superheated (to about 50,000oF) superfast by this electrical energy--that part moves at lightspeed, but not the 1-10 gigawatts of electricity itself.

btw, just as a point of interest: some lightning bolts, sometimes called "superbolts," generate about 100 gW of power: enough to light up the whole Eastern seaboard of the USA. Pretty impressive, I think.

I just did some googling and I found out you guys are right....it doesn't move at the speed of light....now that's pretty shocking....in fact it's much slower then the speed of light...

http://lecglobal.com/Lightning%20101/lightning_glossary.htm
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/wea00/wea00189.htm
http://wsx.lanl.gov/Publications/lightning_bolt.html
http://van.hep.uiuc.edu/qa/listing.php?id=533

Lightning travels in a zig-zag fashion where the speeds of the downward stroke is different to the upward stroke.
The much faster return stroke goes up the channel opened by the downward stroke at almost 1/3 of the speed of light.

Plus remember that the electrons actually have a flow and are travelling through a dense medium. So the flow of electrons in a bolt of lightning does not travel near the speed of light.

I guess you learn something everyday..

Now what about weather patterns how fast do they move?

Originally posted by Cosmic Flame
In Uncanny #292, Jean and Colossus confront MeMe, who’s absorbed several victims into his body. He suddenly stops speaking and his victims fall from him. Colossus says what happened and Jean says, “I happened.” He was stalling for time so that his victims would become a part of him permanently. She says that she didn’t have the time to be subtle, so she turned his mine off. It was instantaneous.

In Unlimited #27 Thunderbird was losing control of his powers. Suddenly they stopped because Jean turned them off.

In both of these instances there was no fanfare, no announcement before Jean acted. She made a decision, and that became the action.

Here’s my question: How do these arguments stand in relation to the type of action and distance? For example, if a TP establishes a mind link with opponents, aren’t the thoughts that are transmitted done so as soon as they are formed? There appears to be simultaneous. What about when Cerebra is used? Even though a TP may formulate a thought in NYC, when Cerebra is used, distance doesn’t seem to matter.

What about telepathic reports like the ones that Jean/Scott and Xavier/Lilandra have (especially the latter)? If Lilandra is millions of miles away, is there a time lag in Xavier’s thoughts?

Very true there's more evidence of this phenomenon on the previous page.

FireIncarnate
Not really I just realized that we forgot one little thing about Storms powers.

She thinks and manipulates weather patterns inorder to generate lightning.

So it's actually Speed of thought + Speed of Weather Patterns + Speed of Light.

BTW Since the speed of weather patterns differ from place to place and Storm manipulates weather patterns it should be assumed that the Weather patterns move at their optimum speed.

So as said before the process of activating the manipulation is at the speed of thought, but the production of the bolt is at the speed of weather patterns + the speed of light.

Can't Storm generate lighting from within herself? I think I've seen her do it before, without calling it down from the sky beforehand.

**FI**

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by FireIncarnate
Can't Storm generate lighting from within herself? I think I've seen her do it before, without calling it down from the sky beforehand.

**FI**

She can,
The question is would that count as prep because that's stored electrical energy in her body? And how does that work? Is it stored electrical energy or is it chemical energy being converted into electrical energy which would make the process even slower.

It's still thought + projection + speed of electron current right? It would be the same as any other projectile attack.

don't shiv
what do PIS and CIS mean

Juntai
what do PIS and CIS mean Read the forum rules thread at the top of the page. It's a "sticky" thread. Meaning it's always there.

don't shiv
on it.

FireIncarnate
She can,
The question is would that count as prep because that's stored electrical energy in her body? And how does that work? Is it stored electrical energy or is it chemical energy being converted into electrical energy which would make the process even slower.

It's still thought + projection + speed of electron current right? It would be the same as any other projectile attack.

I think it would be stored, because she has instantly emmited lightning from her hands before. If it isn't then she would have to electrify her molecules to emit the lightning, and you are therefore correct in saying it would take longer.

**FI**

don't shiv
Dr Essex is the authority on this subject.

montrail

Actually, in on eissue, Storm has generated Lightning that has lit up the enitre manhattin. She actually put the sun to shame. I don't know the issue number so u don't have to beieve me. And in Uncanny X-men# 444, she generated lightning in an instant and took out 5 people.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.