who's gonna buy the OOT ??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
Ok so whos gonna buy the Orignale trilogy when it comes out on 11th Sep ???

Theres a big debate of who's gonna buy them on the originaltrilogy.com site becouse they are non anamorphic widscreen !

overlord
Only if there is a scene of towers collapsing.

Akira99
What has it got that previous OT didn't?
I only bought it a few months ago

pr1983
Originally posted by Akira99
What has it got that previous OT didn't?
I only bought it a few months ago

It has the original theatrical versions of the ot... which means han shoots first, no hayden in rotj, and no added stuff of any kind...

and yes, ill be buying it...

coolmovies
but they will be non anamorphic

roughrider
Yep, non-anamorphic. Not just the fact the image quality is 1993 laserdisc.
From Wikipedia:

For many years, Lucas has stated that the original, unaltered versions of the trilogy would never be released again, having been released for the last time on VHS and Laserdisc in 1995. However, on May 3, 2006, Lucasfilm announced on the official Star Wars site that due to "overwhelming demand", the original versions would be released on DVD on September 12, 2006. Each film will be released as a two-disc set with the 2004 versions of the films on one disc, and the original, unaltered film on the second disc. The set would only be available until December 31, 2006, then withdrawn from the market. The DVD trailer can be downloaded here.

There has been great controversy surrounding this release, however, since it has been revealed that the DVDs will feature non-anamorphic versions of the original, unaltered films based on laserdisc releases from 1993 (as opposed to newly-remastered, film-based transfers). Since non-anamorphic transfers fail to make full use of the resolution available on widescreen sets, many fans were upset over this choice.

In response to fan outcry over the perceived mis-treament of the original cuts, Lucasfilm representatives stated that new, anamorphic transfers of the original cuts cannot be made because the original negatives of the theatrical cuts (from which the anamorphic transfers would typically be made) no longer exist. This created further anger when fans worldwide discovered that George Lucas himself had during the 1990s ordered that as many of the existing 35 millimeter copies of the film as could be found be destroyed.

In a May 2006 posting, the editor of The Digital Bits, a DVD enthusiast website, noted that one of the supposedly lost 35 millimeter copies is owned by Robert A. Harris, one of the world's renowned film archivists and the owner of Film Preserve, a highly lauded company specializing in the digital transfer and restoration of 35 millimeter film stock. Harris, who is a contributor to the site, submitted a letter stating that he is positive that anamorphic, high definition transfers of the films can be made along with a "master" presentation negative from which new 35 millimeter reels can be made. The letter (a copy of which was sent directly to Lucasfilm) has gone unanswered.

For me, I have moved on from the originals, and embrace the Special Editions & the DVD versions. I won't be buying.

Lord Saboteur
The OOT fails. no expression It's just some cheap piece of nostalgia, 1997/2004 special editions are FTW.

pr1983
Well i'll be getting them as they're the versions i prefer... erm

DeVi| D0do
I'll be getting them so I can create my own ultimate edition to rule all other editions! Mwahaha! cool

coolmovies
rough rider where is the DVD trailer ??? i wanna see it

hellsangels
i am going to be buying, i havent seen all of them from the original form.

i read some where there is a game release too.. i hope it meets the expectations of the Star Wars standard

coolmovies
yes there is a game

PVS
lucas will never recieve another dime from me for this insult to his fans.
his ego is out of control and this is just an example of what a child he's behaving like. bitter that his new 'original vision' of the OT was floptastic, now he has to be spiteful while profiting at the same time. boycott this release. dont allow him to profit for being an art vandal.

DeVi| D0do
What's the big deal about it being non anamorphic? Is it really that big a difference in quality?

PVS
Originally posted by roughrider
Since non-anamorphic transfers fail to make full use of the resolution available on widescreen sets...

if i wasnt crap resolution ill just pop in my vhs tapes messed

thanks lucas, for taking something special to all of us and adding a sprinkle of suck to it.

coolmovies
Theres a big difference in the quality of the OOT you get a letter box view of the movie not 16;9 widscreen like the SE sad

chinabing
The difference in quality is for all those early-adopters who have the big widescreen tvs and spent a ton of money for them. I can't believe they are so wound up about it.

I have a DVD copy of the OOT years ago when somebody copied the laser disks onto DVDs and sold them on Ebay before the listings were closed.

As I've never bought the SEs DVDs, (only rented them to see the bonus material), I will buy the OOT to see if there is any difference between my laser disk copy, this OOT, my widescreen "faces" VHS, etc. I don't know if I'll keep the SE DVDs which will come in the same package, I don't really like them.

coolmovies
what are u gonna do with your SW SE box set that came out in 2004 ?

hellsangels
im an early adopter.. am i missing something here... why would it be 'non anamorphic' and what would you need to do if it doesnt work?

roughrider
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
What's the big deal about it being non anamorphic? Is it really that big a difference in quality?

The image will be compressed, because it's only letterboxed for a 4:3 standard TV; everything will have a squeezed look on a 16:9 widescreen TV. If you have the kind of 16:9 TV that can correct this - like my Samsung slimtube - it will look better. But it will only play at the lowest resolution. It won't play normally if you try to up the pixel level to HD standards - 720, 1080.

roughrider
Originally posted by hellsangels
im an early adopter.. am i missing something here... why would it be 'non anamorphic' and what would you need to do if it doesnt work?

- Look at my first post above, as to why it isn't anamorphic.
- What can you do? Forget the OOT, embrace the new SE that Lucas prefers, and get on with life.

Tangible God
Is Lucas going broke or does he just love draining nerds of their money?

coolmovies
hes a greedy git

Darth Kreiger
Ever since EP1, he's been getting worse and worse, someone should take Star Wars from him

coolmovies
I agree with you there steven speilberg shoud do it

roughrider
Originally posted by Tangible God
Is Lucas going broke or does he just love draining nerds of their money?

Can't blame him if nerds can't stop giving him money. I'd take it too. stick out tongue

hellsangels
i haven't seen the originals without all the effects so i'm quite intrigued

coolmovies
you dont know what your missing

Scarecrow756
I grew up with the SE versions and I do not mind the DVD versions so I will be giving this a miss. I am happy with my OT boxset and thats that.

coolmovies
next year theres gonna be a 12 disk box set !! are u guys gonna buy that too ?

EPIIIBITES
I have the 4-Disc DVD OT Box Set, the 2-Disc DVD PT movies, and the "original", original VHS Widescreen Box Set...

Not spending another dime until I get an HD-DVD player and the movies are re-released in HD-DVD...which will probably be in just a couple of years...at which time I will give all my old SW DVDs to charity.

Tangible God
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
I have the 4-Disc DVD OT Box Set, the 2-Disc DVD PT movies, and the "original", original VHS Widescreen Box Set...

Not spending another dime until I get an HD-DVD player and the movies are re-released in HD-DVD...which will probably be in just a couple of years... In a couple of years we'll all be buying SW in the version of microchips you implant in your head.

hellsangels
Originally posted by coolmovies
next year theres gonna be a 12 disk box set !! are u guys gonna buy that too ?

im a sucker.. i will... ive got to have everything that comes out

hellsangels
callin all fans... join the star wars queue.. http://starwarsqueue.co.uk/home.php bit of fun for all!! big grin

OB1-adobe
They have it at my work already sittin in the warhouse.

I looked at the tin boxset.

Box: coooooooool big grin

$69.99: not so cool sad

hellsangels
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
They have it at my work already sittin in the warhouse.

I looked at the tin boxset.

Box: coooooooool big grin

$69.99: not so cool sad

haha shame the things we want cost so much hey

coolmovies
where do u work obi ??

Slyððering
To answer the thread:
I'll buy it, but probably just for the DVD covers....

DeVi| D0do
Seriously? Those DVD covers are terrible... erm

coolmovies
So nobodys gonna buy them ?????

DeVi| D0do
ANH :: Opening Crawl 1977
ANH :: Han Shot First
ESB :: The Original Emperor
ROTJ :: Yub Yub, Sebastian Shaw

Much better quality videos at MF.com

The last clip showcases why I'm torn between the different versions... On one hand, Sebastian Shaw is far better and makes much more sense than Hayden Christensen... but on the other hand, that Yub Yub, Celebrate the Love song just doesn't fit...

pr1983
i prefer the yub yub music, and the shaw thing too... erm

willman
im going to buy it!

pr1983
Bought all three... got the 'ewok adventures' bonus dvd too...

couldnt be happier...

JKozzy
I don't understand the basis of having it non anamorphic -- would it have seriously taken that much more of an effort? erm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.