Longest take in cinema?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dusty
Anyone know the answer? Nothing comes up on a search. I've been wanting to know this.

There are some pretty long ones like in 'Snake Eyes' or 'Serenity'. But it's often several takes, very nicely edited to make it seem like just a single take.

(Documentaries not included)

Impediment
Pulp Fiction. When Jules and Vincent leave the elevator and discuss the pros and cons of eating out the p*ssy of your boss's wife.

Wolfie
There were some pretty long shots in the first Clerks movie.

Dusty
Originally posted by Impediment
Pulp Fiction. When Jules and Vincent leave the elevator and discuss the pros and cons of eating out the p*ssy of your boss's wife.

QT is great for long takes. Like the ear scene in RD.

tabby999
Irreversible was shot in long continuous takes. There is a russian movie that i believe is shot entirely in one take, can't remember the name though, so its not much use to you sad

DeVi| D0do
Elephant has ludicrously long shots... There's a five minute shot of clouds, if I remember correctly. Not to mention all the tracking shots...

Irreversible has very long takes. The rape itself is an 8 minute static shot.

The sequence in Speilberg's War of the Worlds when they're in the van driving on the freeway is one continuous shot. Given the way the camera moves from a closeup of the actors' faces to a wide shot of the van weaving through the cars, I'd say it wasn't actually shot in one take... But the fact that they could pull it off convincingly by piecing together multiple shots and VFX is pretty amazing...

I shot a short film completely in one take (7 minutes), which actually proved to be easier than I initially thought...

Myth
I haven't actually seen them, but from what I've read probably Rope or Running Time.

Rope is a Hitchcock film that was made to be one continuous shot for the whole movie. The only cuts were because back in those days, it was impossible to film the entire movie with the way the camera reels worked (not enough tape). (81 minutes total)

Running Time does the same thing but from what I read it was "was edited to disguise its cuts". (70 minutes)

Myth
Originally posted by Dusty
QT is great for long takes. Like the ear scene in RD.

My favs are when it follows Bruce Willis as he is sneaking back to the motel for his watch.... and... in Kill Bill before the fight with the Crazy 88 where they are playing that "Woo Hoo" song.

DeVi| D0do
Anyone know the answer? Nothing comes up on a search.
Your internet searching abilities fail you... http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=longest+continuous+shot&btnG=Google+Search&meta= (See results 5 & 10)

According to Amazon, Russian Ark is a feature film shot entirely in one take (90 minutes).

Dusty
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Your internet searching abilities fail you... http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=longest+continuous+shot&btnG=Google+Search&meta= (See results 5 & 10)

According to Amazon, Russian Ark is a feature film shot entirely in one take (90 minutes).

Thanks a lot DD. My search abilities may fail me, but they're strong within you. pray

MildPossession
Yeah Russian Ark is the film, think it took the director 3 takes to get it all right in one, urgh. Interesting film to watch.

I noticed in that link that Goddard's Weekend was added, that ten minute tracking shot was the part where the camera followed a road traffic jam as the leads tried to drive through it I believe, I nodded off through part of it so didn't follow it all lol.

coolmovies
TITANIC

Strangelove
QT is great for long takes. Like the ear scene in RD. There are also two really good ones in Jackie Brown

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The steady-cam take in 'Goodfellas' as they enter the kitchen of the restaurant.

BackFire
Kubrick has many many long long takes in almost all of his movies.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by BackFire
Kubrick has many many long long takes in almost all of his movies.

True that. 'The Shining' has that long take of the girls riding around on their tricycles, and 'Eyes Wide Shut' has some very long takes of some very beautiful women. Then there's '2001', which has more long shots than all the others put together.

BackFire
Yep, another that comes to mind is Paths of Glory, when the general is walking through the trenches for a few minutes.

coolmovies
Pirates of the carabian is flying at the box office at the moment

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.