Surnames

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

debbiejo
Does anyone know what their "Sir" name means?

I think mine was named after a place in Italy where there was a Volcano...

Victor Von Doom
Hahahaha.

Sir names.

You're a funny one.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Hahahaha.

Sir names.

You're a funny one.

What the hell does she mean? Does she mean surnames? What the hell? I don't get it? I feel stupid.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Bardock42
What the hell does she mean? Does she mean surnames? What the hell? I don't get it? I feel stupid.

This post made me laugh...

debbiejo
Ohhh...... laughing out loud

yeah, I mean surnames.......I am an American you know.......bag.

Victor Von Doom
Bardock's means pig climber.

debbiejo
laughing out loud Does it.......

lil bitchiness
I have taken the liberty of making your thread look more...European.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
This post made me laugh...

Well, I do spend a lot of time with Floo....it might be contagious....

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Bardock's means pig climber.

That's nothing to joke about, it's a serious offense to climb pigs in Germany...

Bardock42
I have taken the liberty of making your thread look more...intelligent.

I made your post more understandable...although I just used a synonym, it's a skill...I feel so elitist now.

debbiejo
I have taken the liberty of making your thread look more...European. Oh thank you, thank you....

Well like I said, I believe mine is named after a place........

Bardock!!! mad She didn't say that... stick out tongue

Doesn't anyone know what theirs means???

Bardock42
Originally posted by debbiejo
Oh thank you, thank you....

Well like I said, I believe mine is named after a place........

Bardock!!!

What do you mean...I'm not a place...well..I guess I have some place....in the universe...I guess to some extend I am or at least have a location....an every changing one though...then again so do other things we generally consider places...

debbiejo
You all don't even know what your names mean..........oh WOW!!

Bardock42
You all don't even know what your names mean..........oh WOW!!

I do.

debbiejo
and?

botankus
When I first saw this thread (in its original subject title of 'Sir Names,' of course), I initially thought this was where we were going to post our names of royalty. Like Prince Botankus or something.

Bardock42
and? What?

debbiejo
What? What does your surname mean..........is it really Pig climber??? roll eyes (sarcastic)

docb77
Scandinavian and Scottich names are easy. The scandinavian seem to all mean son of, while the Scottish can be son of or just from.

examples:

Jensen - son of Jens
Peterson - son of Peter

McDonald - Son of Donald
MacWhatever - of whatever

My own surname, no idea, but I do know that when I google it I find it in Britain, France, and Germany. so I really don't even know the roots of it.

Syren
Leatherer, I think... or tanner.

Fėanor
hahahaha...mine? more like a derogatory male genitalia in the UK. so i won't mention it. oh wait...i think i just did.

debbiejo

Fėanor
You scare me.........lol confused only if i drop my pants. and i don't think i've done that today....yet.

botankus
I don't know what my surname means. I don't have $155 for an annual subscription to ancestry.com. If everyone wants to chip in and send me $155, I might go and check it out.

Fėanor
Originally posted by botankus
I don't know what my surname means. I don't have $155 for an annual subscription to ancestry.com. If everyone wants to chip in and send me $155, I might go and check it out. oh. oh. oh. how 'bout i send you $155 dollars in canadian money so it'll cost ya less.

debbiejo
I don't know what my surname means. .

cry

We will make one up for you then.....

botankus
You send me $155 American money or I'll come and hunt you down. And don't think I won't find you, for I know where you live. You live in California.

Fėanor
You send me $155 American money or I'll come and hunt you down. And don't think I won't find you, for I know where you live. You live in California. *looks in pocket* oh shit! *moves to another state*

MISSISSIPPI?!? eek! riiiiiight!

The Pict
Originally posted by docb77
Scandinavian and Scottich names are easy. The scandinavian seem to all mean son of, while the Scottish can be son of or just from.

examples:

Jensen - son of Jens
Peterson - son of Peter

McDonald - Son of Donald
MacWhatever - of whatever

My own surname, no idea, but I do know that when I google it I find it in Britain, France, and Germany. so I really don't even know the roots of it.

where did you get this from?

Bardock42
Originally posted by The Pict
where did you get this from?

Shut up, McYourbrother

The Pict
Shut up, McYourbrother

very amusing ha ha ha no expression

anyway i asked because a lot of Scots first took their surnames from the parts of SCOTLAND they lived in.

Bardock42

anyway i asked because a lot of Scots first took their surnames from the parts of SCOTLAND they lived in.

Yeah, I know, because I implied your father was also your brother, haha, and that your mother slept with your brother, her son...haha, funny.

debbiejo
yeah, everything is Mc and Mac ...and......hmmmmmmmm Macaroni...

docb77

True, That's why I said Mc or Mac doesn't always mean son of, some times it's from.

McFarland isn't son of farland, it's more like from a far land.

As to where I got it from - Just stuff I've heard for the most part, I have a lot of ancestry from scandinavian countries.

Russian names are often patronymic as well.

-edit-

Maybe I'm mixing up Irish and scottish. I do that sometimes

debbiejo
Macaroni means then Son of noodle???

Victor Von Doom
Well, I do spend a lot of time with Floo....it might be contagious....

Hahaha.

Like the disease.

Alpha Centauri
That's nothing to joke about, it's a serious offense to climb pigs in Germany...

*Ascent*

-AC

fini
hmm
mines is hindi for Lion.

Capt_Fantastic
As it has been explained to me, my last name is supposed to mean "of or from a mountain" in German.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
As it has been explained to me, my last name is supposed to mean "of or from a mountain" in German.

What is it...?

PVS
hitler

Capt_Fantastic
Close, that's the Austrian

debbiejo
I found out what Botankus surname means........."Road that goes east"..... huh

It's kind of a nutty name........lol

Belegūr
Damn my English/Norse surname....

debbiejo
What does it mean though??

Imperial_Samura
My surname quite simply means "The descendant of Neil, those that are the powerful or mighty."

One of my relatives has studied our family tree right back to Ireland, and apparently the name eventually gets back to a minor offshoot founded by bastard sons linking to one of the old Irish royal families. So, in a round about way descended from an Irish king or an Irish kings brother, even though that might not sound particularly exciting, it is still nice to know.

docb77
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
My surname quite simply means "The descendant of Neil, those that are the powerful or mighty."

One of my relatives has studied our family tree right back to Ireland, and apparently the name eventually gets back to a minor offshoot founded by bastard sons linking to one of the old Irish royal families. So, in a round about way descended from an Irish king or an Irish kings brother, even though that might not sound particularly exciting, it is still nice to know.

So is that a Mac or a Mc?

Templares
I think my surname means "the truth" in Spanish.

BlackC@
My last name is Johnson. I have no idea what that means.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by docb77
So is that a Mac or a Mc?

Usually O. The O seems, for some, to be seen as the equvilant of Mac or Mc in certain Irish clans - O'Neil, O'Neill that kind of thing.

docb77
Originally posted by BlackC@
My last name is Johnson. I have no idea what that means.

Ah, that's an easy one - scandinavian patronymic surname.

Johnson - John's son

GCG
Mine is Sicilian ;it rhymes with Marijuana.

Strangelove
All I know about my last name is it's one of the most common last names in the UK.

debbiejo
What about Middle Ages names?????

Any thought?

mechmoggy
Mine was originally an Italian name, which got modified to sound more English sounding at some point in time.

The thinker
Mine means "A tempered feline"
Seriously.

NINJ4_BL4D3
In English Mine means = To Chase down prey and Usually Kill it

In Estonian it means = Wolf

Belegūr

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.