That BLOOMING "curiosity scene"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LovelyOne
I have to say that this is one of THE hardest scenes to interpret in the movie...SERIOUSLY

I have so many takes on it but I STILL don't really know what Liz's true intentions/feelings where....All I know is that she is CLEARLY disappointed that Jack pulls away at the end..

Ok she was obviously TRYING to prompt jack to kiss her... So why the heck was she saying she wanted the complete opposite from him?

That would be a risk on her behalf..if she wants the Kiss why risk it not happening by saying that to him?

I suppose she may have been trying to make herself feel less guilty about Will..by pretending it was a test..when In reality she wants Jack on her lips...

Also. The very tone she's saying those lines in suggests that she is kind of.."playing with the words" and not really meaning them when she's saying them..Its like it makes the whole situation more EXCITING for herself by stating out loud that he "SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT"...forbidden fruit...verryyy tempting..The fruit TASTES BETTER when you KNOW you shouldn't be TASTING it..

I was watching the whole scene again. I notice is that..as Jack is saying to her "you will come over to my side I know it. One word "curiosity"....One day you wont be able to resist" She looks as if she is trying to suss something out in her head, she gives a sideways glance at him.

It almost seems as if she kinda picks up on the fact that Jack shows a BIG interest in her here..as if he is REALLY hoping that she will come over to his side..This means MORE than just sleeping with her..By these words of his she senses that he might want her as a COMPANION..instead of just someone to sleep with and ditch..does she "like" this thought? She looks VERY excited when she's trying to make him Kiss her. Its like she's thinking "Does he see me differently to his usual women?"..I think this thought makes her feel incredibly special

anyway back to the point where Jack has just finished what he says:

She says:
"why doesn't your compass work?"

was she suspecting here that it was pointing to HER when HE held it?..

"My compass works fine"

Which doesn't actually answer her question....so THEN what does she go and do?she TESTS him...to see what he really wants.

So basically in this scene, I think she suspects that he wants her..but on a completely different level to how he usually wants his women . ..I think it takes her by slight surprise that he is very gentle with her before he leans in to kiss her...which is probably not what she expected..This confirms to her that he treats her DIFFERENTLY to his usual women.

When he pulls away...she's quite hurt like she she had all her hopes up and then they get dashed...she thinks she's been rejected..she was "wrong about him"..."He doesn't want her".."she isn't so special after all"...Or so she THINKS ahaha..thats probably why she felt so overwhelmed when he came back for her later..it well and truly confirmed for her that she means MORE to him than the average girl...

Anyway..I need some help here..I cant figure out what this scene really means all by me onesies..savvy?

katelovespirate
liz has her tongue ready, you can totally see it...

i think in some ways, if Jack would have kissed her, Liz would have been satisfied that he was a complete pirate with no morals and therefore, despite any attraction they might have, she would know he wasnt the one for her.
When he pulls away, she is obviously upset cause she just wanted the kiss, but she is probably also confused because it shows her that Jack does have morals sometimes... making him much more attractive to her... somethin like that.

I LOVE THIS SCene> ITS HOTT. hahaha

LovelyOne
LOl thats so funny about the tongue..

I actually think that if she had got that Kiss...she would have completley fallen for him right then and there..the fact it was halted is increadibly important to the plot later on..I honestly have a feeling that that whole scene isn't what we are meant to think it is..It seems as if those words of hers are just a front and she doesn't really mean them..She's actually making the whole situation more exciting for herself by stating them out loud..The forbidden fruit ALWAYS tatses sweeter when you know you shouldn't be eating it..wink

katelovespirate
lets look at the facts:

jack has been drinking, and Liz has had a swig or two herself. Liz is getting vulnerable with Jack cause she's feeling lonely and depressed... perhaps she is wondering why Will got press-ganged into DJ's crew, and if he maybe did it on purpose.

Notice that when she is talking about marriage, she doesnt ever mention Will. She seems to like the idea of marriage/sex, but doesnt say anything like, "im so ready to be married to WILL" or "I miss Will, and i wish he were here..." nothing like that. When Jack proposes, she seems confused, but responds with "no thank you" rather than "i am engaged to Will you idiot" hahaha. she doesnt seem to be thinking about Will at all there... rather she is thinking about her wedding dress, the excitement of a wedding night, that sort of thing.

Though Liz starts out as being a bit depressed, and cranky, she quickly becomes merry again as Jack starts to flirt with her. I think She expects him to buzz off after the shoots him down several times, but the very fact that he ignores her remarks and persists in flirting with her, probably intrigues her. girls always love guys who will really fight for them, and keep pursuing them...

Plus, Since she has such a hero/mentor regard for Jack, it is probably intensly flattering when Jack says she is just like him... we know She got all flustered and excited in the 2st one when Jack remarked that they were peas in a pod, and now Jack is doing it again. Whats probably going through her head is, could he be right? could i really be a pirate? Could i act on selfish impulse, and not hate myself afterward? it is an intriguing idea to her...BUT she quickly stifles it, for now, by replying that IF her and jack are alike, it is because they are good at heart.
Liz still wants to see herself as a basically good person at this point... she perhaps fears thoughts/impulses she has, and wants to stifle them so she can continue to see herself as a good person, the type of person who should be married to a good man like Will.
Unfortunately, i dont think she really is this type of person.
Which is why she doesnt want Jack to be a good man. IF Jack is a good man, that means he could potentially beat out Will as the man for her... and thats confusing. She wants Jack to remain the pirate, so that when she does piraty things to him (tricking him with the rum, tempting him with herself) she wont feel as guilty, because he is a pirate...

does any of that make sense??? hahaha.

katelovespirate
i forgot to mention this on my super long post i just posted:

Liz, at this point, doesnt know anything about Davy Jones, or how Jack is indebted to him, or that Jack also needs the chest.
She just thinks Jack is helping her find the chest to be nice, to help save Will.
IMO, she should have known that Jack is JACK and he always has ulterior motives...

LovelyOne
Yes I understand..That was one of my other takes on the scene..she may have secretly wanted him to kiss her to prove to her that he IS a pirate and not a good man..so she cant be tempted..but he totally squashes that attempt laughing out loud in that scene and she's like..."oh shit...well that backfired..now what the hell am I feeling for him?"

I still find it very strange how she says those words though, just as he's about to kiss her...the WAY she says them is strange to me..they seem so false with the emotion of lust backing them up...

And I agre with your 4th paragraph..I feel that she is slightly flattered that he keeps showing this interest in her...especially when its not all just about sex..he shows interest in her becoming a companion for him in that scene..and it's here where the tone of the scene first changes..she totally changes from depressed/pissed to happy and horny..

random21
this is one of the absolute BEST scenes in the movie.

and i like your view on it LovelyOne.

you guys really get deep into the storyline but i sooo hope you guys are right..

sccch
Also in the 1st and 2nd movies, every time she is with him,they get closer and closer together.But with Will, besides that kiss in the 1st one,they don't really get close to each other.

CaptinJackLover
In thw first movie i couldnt really feel the connection between Will and Liz. It almost seemed like she didnt like him at all. But you can totally feel the connection and passion between Jack and Liz especiallyu during that scene.

sccch
yes

lovethemtigers
Yes, If you think about it....there aren't hardly any romantic scenes between Will and Liz at all - I mean nothing like with Jack and Liz...even in POTC 1, that's why I was so convinced that they meant to put Liz with jack - I was still hoping up until the very end....but was like, Oh Well,,,it was a great movie, cuz I love Jack....then with POTC 2 and the flirting scenes came out - WOW> every single scene that Jack and Liz have together is all about flirting and getting closer and closer until the climatic kiss at the end....

The Curiosity Scene is great....Yes, Jack has had some drink...but he is not drunk. I said that way back when, on one of our older Jack/Liz threads....I always thought it curious that Liz doesn't say "Oh, I miss Will, I should be married to Will, I so want to be Will's wife...." No, she just says "I'm so ready to be married"...meaning she is thinking about sex - and who wouldn't after the "Persuade Me" scene....The way they show her looking all sad on the steps, and Jack realizing she is troubled...I think she is confused/troubled - I think right at that moment she is thinking "I came here to find Will, but then I see Jack and I'm having all these strange feelings about Jack..I'm secretly thinking about him and wondering what it would be like to be with him"....remember at this point the Persuade Me scene has already taken place, the conversation with Norrington, and then the compass pointed to Jack....Also, just before this we see her wedding dress that she was to marry Will in sink to the bottom of the sea - I think this is a very symbolic issue - her Wedding Dress for Will sinks, just as their relationship in sinking....and then Up walks Jack and a whole new aspect to her life is opening up ....she is growing, changing...she is not the same girl that fell in love with Will...she is becoming more and more of a woman meant for Jack Sparrow..IMO.....

And I definitely think she wanted Jack to kiss her...she is so disappointed when he pulls away...and I don't think she is thinking about Will at all once she and Jack start flirting....I think she is mesmerized by Jack...and she doesn't even realize it yet...or she does but doesn't want to admit that it's anymore than just having "faith and trust" in him as a friend....

CaptinJackLover
I think the only reason she wanted to find Will was because she loved him but not in the I want to marry you sense. She loved him like you love your family, like a brother. She just wanted him to be safe.And then she would keep jack all to herself.

sccch
again yes

LovelyOne
Originally posted by lovethemtigers
Yes, If you think about it....there aren't hardly any romantic scenes between Will and Liz at all - I mean nothing like with Jack and Liz...even in POTC 1, that's why I was so convinced that they meant to put Liz with jack - I was still hoping up until the very end....but was like, Oh Well,,,it was a great movie, cuz I love Jack....then with POTC 2 and the flirting scenes came out - WOW> every single scene that Jack and Liz have together is all about flirting and getting closer and closer until the climatic kiss at the end....

The Curiosity Scene is great....Yes, Jack has had some drink...but he is not drunk. I said that way back when, on one of our older Jack/Liz threads....I always thought it curious that Liz doesn't say "Oh, I miss Will, I should be married to Will, I so want to be Will's wife...." No, she just says "I'm so ready to be married"...meaning she is thinking about sex - and who wouldn't after the "Persuade Me" scene....The way they show her looking all sad on the steps, and Jack realizing she is troubled...I think she is confused/troubled - I think right at that moment she is thinking "I came here to find Will, but then I see Jack and I'm having all these strange feelings about Jack..I'm secretly thinking about him and wondering what it would be like to be with him"....remember at this point the Persuade Me scene has already taken place, the conversation with Norrington, and then the compass pointed to Jack....Also, just before this we see her wedding dress that she was to marry Will in sink to the bottom of the sea - I think this is a very symbolic issue - her Wedding Dress for Will sinks, just as their relationship in sinking....and then Up walks Jack and a whole new aspect to her life is opening up ....she is growing, changing...she is not the same girl that fell in love with Will...she is becoming more and more of a woman meant for Jack Sparrow..IMO.....

And I definitely think she wanted Jack to kiss her...she is so disappointed when he pulls away...and I don't think she is thinking about Will at all once she and Jack start flirting....I think she is mesmerized by Jack...and she doesn't even realize it yet...or she does but doesn't want to admit that it's anymore than just having "faith and trust" in him as a friend....

I totally agree with every word you say..it seems as if she is slightly irritated about these feelings she for Jack..she thinks that she shouldn't have them..so she kind of takes it out on him and tells him off about his personal hygiene..trying to put herself off of him..but it doesn't work laughing out loud he basically makes her realise that its not important..what matters is what she wants "trifles" as jack said..

I agree totally about the symbolism of that dress sinking...and then fading to the new piratey Liz..that was probably the most obvious clue in the movie as to where her heart truly lies....and this whole new possible life with Jack basically walking right up to her..(quite literally)

Its so obvious she was thinking about sex..thats why she showed that repulsive face when Jack suggested he have sex with her..just like she did before!! then you see her secretly smiling..that happens again in the curiosity scene..she's repulsed then obviously shows that she likes the thought deep down..

CaptinJackLover
ok i kind of think these lyrics describe liz and jack and the kiss in a way. mabe im wrong but i kinda of think so

What if I told you it was all meant to be?
Would you believe me, would you agree?
Its almost that feeling that we've met before so tell me that you dont think Im crazy when I tell your love is here and now.

A Moment like this.
Some people wait a lifetime for a moment like this.
Some people search forever for that one special kiss.
I cant believe its happening to me.

Everything changes, but beauty remains.

Something so tender I cant explain.
Well I may be dreaming but til I awake..Can we make the dream last forever?
And I'll cherish all the love we share for a moment like this.

The speed of waiting love of all.
I wanna know that you will catch me when I fall.
So let me tell you this.
Some people wait a lifetime for a moment like this...

Some people search a lifetime for a moment like this.

lovethemtigers
CaptainJackLover that is great...you know I posted another Kelly Clarkson song on one of the other threads..HOTT MEN I believe...Beautiful Disaster...that also is a great lyrical song about Jack and Liz...I love Kelly Clarkson's voice....and this too is another song...I can listen to these songs and make up my own Jack/Liz video in my mind This is Addicted by Kelly Clarkson...the music and lyrics are wonderfull...If I could make a video I would use this song for my Jack/Liz shipper -well, one of them, still think "Beautiful Disaster" is the perfect song for them...

"Addicted"

It's like you're a drug
It's like you're a demon I can't face down
It's like I'm stuck
It's like I'm running from you all the time
And I know I let you have all the power
It's like the only company I seek is misery all around

It's like you're a leech
Sucking the life from me
It's like I can't breathe
Without you inside of me
And I know I let you have all the power
And I realize I'm never gonna quit you over time

It's like I can't see anything
Nothing but you
I'm addicted to you
It's like I can't think
Without you interrupting me
In my thoughts
In my dreams
You've taken over me
It's like I'm not me
It's like I'm not me

It's like I'm lost
It's like I'm giving up slowly
It's like you're a ghost that's haunting me
Leave me alone
And I know these voices in my head
Are mine alone
And I know I'll never change my ways
If I don't give you up now

Nothing but you
I'm addicted to you
It's like I can't think
In my thoughts
In my dreams
You've taken over me
It's like I'm not me
It's like I'm not me

I'm hooked on you
I need a fix
I can't take it
Just one more hit
I promise I can deal with it
I'll handle it, quit it
Just one more time
Then that's it
Just a little bit more to get me through this
I'm hooked on you
I need a fix
I can't take it
Just one more hit
I promise I can deal with it
I'll handle it, quit it
Just one more time
Then that's it
Just a little bit more to get me through this

Nothing but you
I'm addicted to you
It's like I can't think
In my thoughts
In my dreams
You've taken over me
It's like I'm not me
It's like I'm not me

LovelyOne
Both those lyrics are so true to how she feels..that second one even matches in with certain scenes in the movie..

CaptinJackLover
OH YEAH I READ THAT ONE AND SAW THE VIDEO TOO. ITS LIKE SOO PERFECT FOR THEM AND I SHOWED IT TO MY FRIEDNS WHO DONT BELIEVE JACK AND LIZ BELONG TOGETHER! (YES I KNOW, WHY AM I EVEN FRIENDS WITH THEM LOL). AND "ADDICTED" IS SOO PERFECT FOR THEM. YOU ICK GOOD SONGS!

lovethemtigers

sccch
Here's one!
kelly clarkson beautiful disaster

He drowns in his dreams
An exquisite extreme I know
He's as damned as he seems
And more heaven than a heart could hold
And if I try to save him
My whole world would cave in
It just ain't right
It just ain't right

Oh and I don't know
I don't know what he's after
But he's so beautiful
He's such a beautiful disaster
And if I could hold on
Through the tears and the laughter
Would it be beautiful?
Or just a beautiful disaster

He's magic and myth
As strong as what I believe
A tragedy with
More damage than a soul should see
And do I try to change him
So hard not to blame him
Hold on tight
Hold on tight

Oh and I don't know
But he's so beautiful
And if I could hold on
Would it be beautiful?

I'm longing for love and the logical
But he's only happy hysterical
I'm waiting for some kind of miracle
Waited so long
So long

He's soft to the touch
But frayed at the end he breaks
He's never enough
And still he's more than I can take
Oh and I don't know
But he's so beautiful
And if I could hold on
Would it be beautiful?

He's beautiful
He's beautiful

katelovespirate
i love those songs guys, seriously, beautiful. beautiful disastor is one of my favs for sure...

liz and jack are both really horny a lot. haha. no other word for it. they cant help themselves around each other. i like that. smile

I think Elizabeth was always hoping Will would be the guy for her... i mean, she meets him very young, and girls always have this fantasy that someone they know but dont really know very well will be the one... without really thinking if personality type matches. she is still fighting to make it come true, when Jack Sparrow is a much more obvious solution to all her wants.
whether it comes true or not in 3, i think we all agree Jack Sparrow is really the right guy for her...

but something i wonder about. Would Jack really be satisfied with Liz if he won her? He goes on about "time and tide, love" and having whoever he wants, getting crushes on whoever he is around, that sort of thing... can a man like that really just stop and be with one woman? it seems so un-jack to me. I know his character is really developing forward and all, and he has done a lot of things he wouldnt normally do, but his character would really have to go somewhere new if he were to get liz...

lovethemtigers
Originally posted by sccch
Here's one!
kelly clarkson beautiful disaster

He drowns in his dreams
An exquisite extreme I know
He's as damned as he seems
And more heaven than a heart could hold
And if I try to save him
My whole world would cave in
It just ain't right
It just ain't right

Oh and I don't know
But he's so beautiful
And if I could hold on
Would it be beautiful?

He's magic and myth
As strong as what I believe
A tragedy with
More damage than a soul should see
And do I try to change him
So hard not to blame him
Hold on tight
Hold on tight

Oh and I don't know
But he's so beautiful
And if I could hold on
Would it be beautiful?

I'm longing for love and the logical
But he's only happy hysterical
I'm waiting for some kind of miracle
Waited so long
So long

He's soft to the touch
But frayed at the end he breaks
He's never enough
And still he's more than I can take
Oh and I don't know
But he's so beautiful
And if I could hold on
Would it be beautiful?

He's beautiful
He's beautiful

I LOVE THIS SONG...I WILL TEACH TO MY CREW AND WE WILL SING IT EVERY NIGHT....AND YOU WILL BE THE MOST FEARSOME PIRATE.....

sccch
there use to be a vid on YouTube about Jack and Lizz with that song,BUT once again 'Disney' decides to take to take it down! furious

lovethemtigers
And yet another song that perfectly describes Jack and Liz...and how they feel...listen to this and you can see scenes just flow into your mind...

Josh Groban's "My Confession"

I have been blind, unwilling to see
The true love you're giving.
I have ignored every blessing.
I'm on my knees confessing

That I feel myself surrender
Each time I see your face.
I am staggered by your beauty,
Your unassuming grace.
And I feel my heart is turning,
Falling into place.
I can't hide
Now hear my confession.

I have been wrong about you.
Thought I was strong without you.
For so long nothing could move me.
For so long nothing could change me.
Now I feel myself surrender
I am captured by your beauty,
Your unassuming grace.
And I feel my heart is turning,
Falling into place.
I can't hide
Now hear my confession.

You are the air that I breathe.
You're the ground beneath my feet.
When did I stop believing?

Cause I feel myself surrender
I am staggered by your beauty,
Your unassuming grace.
And I feel my heart
Falling into place.
I can't hide
Now hear my confession.
I can't hide
Now hear my confession.
Hear my confession

CaptinJackLover

willofthewisp
I had a thought. I think "curiosity" had another point than the desire they both have to be like each other (Liz to be bad and Jack to be good), but it's also the desire for balance. I think Liz loves the fact Jack is so bad, but she usually acts heroically, tries to help others, and do the right thing. So she wants Jack to be bad and good at the same time, if that makes sense. She wants him to have a limit to his badness and have some conscience in there, and that's why she tempts him, just to see what he will do. When he backs away, she's disappointed, but I think she did mean it when she said she was proud of him. To her, that proved he could be good.
I also don't think Jack wants her to be completely bad. I think he would just rather she give up being good all the time and once in a while do what she wants to do without a second thought. He's attracted to her suppressed bad side, but he's also attracted to her good side. It's what makes her unattainable in his mind and different from other women. So the curiosity scene is just them trying to figure each other out in addition to all the other delicious reasons they have this conversation.

Found a song fitting them
"Spin" by Lifehouse

I'd rather chase your shadow all my life/than be afraid of my own/I'd rather be with you/I'd rather not know/where i'll be than be alone and convinced that i know
Chorus:
And the world keeps spinning round/my world's upside down and i wouldn't change a thing/I've got nothing else to lose/I lost it all when i found you and i wouldn't change a thing/you and i wouldn't change a thing

Everything I know has let me down/so i will just let go/let you turn me inside out/cause i know i'm not sure/about anything at all but you wouldn't have it any other way

Chorus

Spinning Turning Watching Burning/all my life has found it's meaning/ walking crawling climbing falling/all my life has found its meaning

Chorus

katelovespirate
im obsessed with josh groban by the way, haha. that song is lovely. except i might rather post it for Will at the end of 1... lol.

willofthewisp i totally agree with what you said about balance. its so true, that Jack often sees Liz as unnattainable, nut at all because she is engaged, but rather because she is strong, independent, and yet incredibly heroic. unlike Will, she sees her goals as more important that her methods to achieve them. she's willing to use people, lie, flirt, fight, whatever to achieve what she wants- not because she is a bad person, but because she is extremely driven... if that makes sense...

CaptinJackLover
Originally posted by katelovespirate
im obsessed with josh groban by the way, haha. that song is lovely. except i might rather post it for Will at the end of 1... lol.

willofthewisp i totally agree with what you said about balance. its so true, that Jack often sees Liz as unnattainable, nut at all because she is engaged, but rather because she is strong, independent, and yet incredibly heroic. unlike Will, she sees her goals as more important that her methods to achieve them. she's willing to use people, lie, flirt, fight, whatever to achieve what she wants- not because she is a bad person, but because she is extremely driven... if that makes sense...

I totally agree with you. What i was wondering though was, why does Liz have to do all of that stuff to get what she wants. When all Jack has to do is be himself. The only thing he does is flirt and that is part of his nature when he is around women, so technically he does nothing except have to find what he wants.I feel bad for poor old Lizzie, she has it so much harder than him, probably because she has more to protect about herself (like hiding it from Will, keep her "good-gril" reputation , things like that)

katelovespirate
its true... Jack and Liz have very similar tactics for getting what they want, but actually, Jack hardly ever uses "tactics" on Liz... sure he flirts, but he isnt like he is with other people- completely overbearing and confusing them...

willofthewisp
I have to disagree. Jack uses his cleverness. Consider how he tricks pretty much everyone in the first movie. He also uses his "stupidity" to help him out at times. Everyone underestimates him which works to his advantage.
Liz tricking the whole crew of the ghost thing kind of shows they both use their cleverness to get what they want, but I think Liz has it harder because she's a girl (has to be in disguise) and because she doesn't have as much experience as Jack.

CaptinJackLover
exactly. Jack just uses his natural ability to do things. and Liz is just learning...perhaps to become more like Jack so it will be easier for Willl to understand why they cant be together( because of them being complete opposites.)

katelovespirate
or maybe Will will surprise them both by being the trickiest of them all, and pulling a total sparrow-pirate move that stuns everyone and wins him the girl. wink who knows...

Yes Jack is incredibly persuasive, charming, and clever. I LOVE his act of drunken clumsiness, and how comfortable he is with people. its lovely. he's a bit of a hippe- "why fight when you can negotiate"... Jack knows he can trust his personality and his cleverness to get him through things, whereas fighting is not his strong point. Even though he looks totally hott when he sword fights. smile i'd really, really like to see him and Liz swordfight. that would be hott.

lovethemtigers

willofthewisp
Wonder if he'll die eventually. (HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT?) I don't want him to! (THAT'S BETTER)
But if you think someone will die in the next one, who would it be? (HARRY) What? (HARRY BLOODY POTTER) Um, this is POTC.
My guess is that they will successfully kill Norrington, and if this is the last movie, Barbosa.

katelovespirate
Yeah Jack isnt going to die... cause Johnny wants to make a 4th. haha.

Erotic and dangerous=== the PERFECT words to describe their precarious relationship.
Its true, Liz is adventurous.
That was a brilliantly written article... Jack is a charismatic rogue... thats beautiful. smile that makes me happy.

CaptinJackLover
or maybe Will will surprise them both by being the trickiest of them all, and pulling a total sparrow-pirate move that stuns everyone and wins him the girl. wink who knows...

Yes Jack is incredibly persuasive, charming, and clever. I LOVE his act of drunken clumsiness, and how comfortable he is with people. its lovely. he's a bit of a hippe- "why fight when you can negotiate"... Jack knows he can trust his personality and his cleverness to get him through things, whereas fighting is not his strong point. Even though he looks totally hott when he sword fights. smile i'd really, really like to see him and Liz swordfight. that would be hott.

In a way I could see that happening. but considering what his charcter has done before, i dont think its like him. I dont think Disney will change his charcter completely, it would be nice if it was a slight change to make him a more interesting and likeable character, but not to make the same as Jack. that would sort of ruin how much we love jack, because he is so unique and that woulsd be taken from him if will ended up doing something Jack would do.

katelovespirate
sometimes Liz reminds me of Jane from Disney's tarzan... she thinks she belongs in society with people, when honestly, she belongs with her man... cough cough JACK... on the ocean.

the rogue should get the girl, end of discussion. Jack is one of the best characters of all time, screw the rules, give him the girl!!! hahaha

CaptinJackLover
hahaha so true!

willofthewisp
He certainly needs a girl. That would disspell all those rumors about him being gay. Because he wears eyeliner? He's a pirate! I think the other pirates would have done a lot worse to him than marooned him if he was gay. Also the "I'm flattered, son, but my first love is the sea," kind of thing pretty much says it all.

katelovespirate
i think Jack and Liz should kiss for about 40% of 3.

CaptinJackLover
lol. ya i wish people would stop saying he is gay. because then i have to go and defend him. which isnt so bad but its tiring after awhile because they dont believe me

willofthewisp
This last movie really seals the deal, though. No one can argue he's gay now, unless they say being tied to a mast by a girl would turn someone gay. But not Jack.

CaptinJackLover
I never once thought he was gay. but thats probably because i was totally in love him becasue of his sexiness and awesome personality!

sccch
Here's another song that fits with Jack and Lizz. Lizz POV.

Britney Spears:Oops I did it again

I think I did it again
I made you believe we're more than just friends
Oh baby
It might seem like a crush
But it doesn't mean that I'm serious
'Cause to lose all my senses
That is just so typically me
Oh baby, baby

Chorus:
Oops!...I did it again
I played with your heart, got lost in the game
Oh baby, baby
Oops!...You think I'm in love
That I'm sent from above
I'm not that innocent

You see my problem is this
I'm dreaming away
Wishing that heroes, they truly exist
I cry, watching the days
Can't you see I'm a fool in so many ways
But to lose all my senses
That is just so typically me
Baby, oh

Chorus:
Oops!...I did it again
Oh baby, baby
That I'm sent from above
I'm not that innocent

Oops!...I did it again to your heart
Got lost in this game, oh baby
Oops!...You think that I'm sent from above
I'm not that innocent

Chorus:
Oops!...I did it again
Oh baby, baby
That I'm sent from above
I'm not that innocent

Chorus:
Oops!...I did it again
Oh baby, baby
That I'm sent from above
I'm not that innocent

LovelyOne
This movie actually showed us that he is slightly homophobic laughing out loud

sccch
dontgetit

LovelyOne
homophobic means he dislikes gays^^

sccch
Oh,OK!angel_not

LovelyOne
When he thought Liz was a man coming onto him he was slighty disgusted. Then there was massive relief when he realised it was her laughing out loud

sccch
When he said 'Elizabeth.' you can hear the relieved and slightly shocked tone of voice.

LovelyOne
yeh...it was also a pleasent surprise kind of voice laughing out loud

ivebeendepped43
hes hot!totally sexy! way 2 sexy 4 his own good! yes

lovethemtigers
YES, When you see it on the big screen when he turns around and says "Elizabeth" he kind of huskly whispers it and gives her a once over with his eyes - from head to toe - like drinking the sight of her in...and also, look at the look on Gibbs face it almost says, "Oh, no it's the one thing that can distract Jack, Ms. Swann."....

And, no not once did I ever think Jack was GAy - especially after the scene in POTC when he rescues her - I mean there is so much chemistry between him and Liz in that shot - the way she can't take her eyes off of him, the way they are so close to each other's faces when he is holding her at gunpoint, so hott...the way she whispers "You are dispicable" to him....

when he does say "I am deeply flattered, son, but my first and only love is the sea" he's got that weird look on his face and he motions with his pointer finger to Gibbs to get that kid off the boat...now....and Gibbs shakes his head in agreement....

Jack is a man's man, HE IS NOT GAY, not even close....it's hard for me to believe that people actually still believe that...it's crazy

sccch
'when he does say "I am deeply flattered, son, but my first and only love is the sea" he's got that weird look on his face and he motions with his pointer finger to Gibbs to get that kid off the boat...now....and Gibbs shakes his head in agreement....'

I know,it's like "get this person out of my sight." And then when he says 'Elizabeth' to me it looked like Gibbs rolled his eyes.

lovethemtigers
I know that's what I mean, Gibbs is like, oh no not her again....I think he is aware that Jack has a thing for her and knows that she will spell trouble for Jack, IMO

lovethemtigers
Maybe there will be some great deleted scenes from POTC 2 that will further explore the Jack/Liz relationship that didn't get put into the final movie release....hope so...

sccch
youpi I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE DVD!!!!

willofthewisp
Gibbs just doesn't like women on a ship in general. I'll have to watch it again to see his face, but Gibbs is that "old salt" kind of pirate that probably has more experience and wisdom then he lets on, and women on board ships used to bother all sailors. Plus, this isn't just any woman: this is Liz! Gibbs has dealt with her before and knows she isn't just going to sit pretty.

CaptinJackLover
Yeah he knows she will be a distraction and try and do things her way. and make everything different.

katelovespirate
yeah, and Gibbs seems unswervingly loyal to Capt. Jack in 2. he seems to take great delight in freaking Liz and Will out at various points in the film- overplaying danger and all that. hahaha. i love gibbs.

personally, i agree that Gibbs can see Jack is attracted to Liz... and i think Jack knows that too. I mean, what does he do before talking to Liz? Gets rid of Gibbs with the rum line.

willofthewisp
But it looks like Gibbs sincerely is going to hide the rum! It doesn't look like an eye roll again.

But Gibbs is awesome and can see the attraction Jack and Liz have for each other. I mean, everyone can....except Will. He didn't get the one about the priest and the rabbi either.

Do you think he likes Will at all, or he would root for Jack to get Liz? I still think he's a little leery about a woman on board.

CaptinJackLover
i think he would root for JAck because they are long time friends. but then again Jack is a pirate and it doesnt seem normal for a pirate to fall in love with a girl and Gibbs might be scared for Jack. but i mostly think he is rooting for Jack and Liz

LovelyOne
Jack is actually different to your usual pirate..he quite often puts other people's needs before his own...I think that Gibbs knows Jack lets his gaurd down around her and his priorities start to change ..maybe thats why he's a bit iffy when she's about to come on board..and he was right to be iffy..Liz screwd Jack over at the end becasue he lt her get under his skin.. lol..

CaptinJackLover
^^thats true

tia dalma
sometimes Liz reminds me of Jane from Disney's tarzan... she thinks she belongs in society with people, when honestly, she belongs with her man... cough cough JACK... on the ocean.

the rogue should get the girl, end of discussion. Jack is one of the best characters of all time, screw the rules, give him the girl!!! hahaha

I like simple and easy to remember. stick out tongue

katelovespirate
they will totally contradict themselves if they dont give jack the girl, IMO. lol.
he is the one who frees her from her repressive corset/lifestyle...

"hang the code, and hang the rules!" aka... disney, screw your previous rules about hapilly ever after.

big grin

willofthewisp
You're all really building up my hopes for Jack/Liz. I didn't even consider that the writers would run with it when I saw it, and then I came here and read these posts...... I'm out for blood if they don't work out!

lovethemtigers
I know Gibbs is loyal to Jack....I don't know if is rooting for A Jack and Liz pairing...because he believes Liz is a distraction to Jack...disorients him, gets him unfocused on his goals....so I think Gibbs would kind of resent a relationship between Jackand Liz...however, having said that, if thought that being with Liz would make Jack happy and complete, then he may be all for it...as long as the attraction turns healthy instead of dangerous...like it did in POTC 2 in the end...when Jack gets screwed by Lizzie....but I think even though he is screwed by Liz all of a sudden jack is overcome with pride in her....look at that smile on his face....

willofthewisp
I watched it earlier and I noticed that when Liz tells them all he "elected to stay behind," it shows a close up of her face and it is Gibbs right behind her. He looks a little worried, because Jack isn't with them, of course, but he also looks a tad suspicious. I wonder if he thinks she killed him up there.

vegaofthelyre
I adore Gibb's character. Katelovespirate is completely right when she says he likes to "freak people out by overplaying danger" ahhahah I think that Gibbsy takes a great delight and playing his "pirate/salty sailor" image to a heavy-handed perfection. heheheh Just remember his "Ayee!! SEA TURRRTLES! o_O" exchange with Will in COTBP. That many others are priceless moments in the Pirates movies. hahhaa.

But anyhow, I never considered that Gibbs would have picked up on the interaction between Jack and Lizzie.... right before THE KISS scene, you can see Jack and Liz covertly exchanging looks right under his nose while they're talking about "We need to abandon ship" HMMMMMMMM I feel like he's been around Jack so long that he doesn't even know WHAT Jack will come up with next, I mean, Jack's specialty is masking or camouflaging his true desires/intents while simultaneously coming up with completely unexpected reactions out of left field. He's seen it all by now and knows that you can't predict what Jack's going to do next. Probably always in a state of high alert. pirate big grin

LovelyOne
LOL he also notices them giving eachother little looks when they are talking about Will working for the EITC laughing out loud

lovethemtigers
Why do you think Liz looks at Will so angrily when he asks "Where's Jack" - the way she and Will stare at each other on that boat - I don't see any love between them two at all in that scene - I feel anger and tension....I just wonder? Yeah, Gibbs in the background the way he glances back up at the ship, I'm sure he's wondering what happened...he knows that the entire movie Jack has been "spooked" now all of a sudden he's willing to face the Kracken alone - so that they can all escape? He even comments about it in Tia's cabin "Jack had us fooled right up to the very end, I guess that sense of Honor finally won out. To Jack Sparrow" Notice Liz never takes a sip of her drink after they all toast Jack - what does that mean - she just raises her cup and says "He was a good man" but never takes a drink....Even Will takes a sip of his drink...

LovelyOne
she doesn't feel she deserves be toasting to the man SHE just killed...its all about guilt..I think...

Gibbs doesn't actually know that Jack ran away and came back...Liz is the only one who knows this..I think thats important. The others seem to be a bit like "wtf? Jack do something honorable?" They are uncertain of Jack staying on the boat..but Liz actually knows that he really did do something honorable and it was for her....and she killed him..she doesnt deserve to toast him....It's eating her up inside..

willofthewisp
And so we will find out just how far she is willing to go. I really hope she doesn't get sidetracked (kidnapped) somewhere and Jack has to save her. Let it be the other way around.

vegaofthelyre
You guys, maybe someone has noticed this before?? hahah but I was just watching the Curiousity scene again and when Liz asks "Why doesn't your compass work?" Jack looks down and says, ""My compass works FINE", but the CAMERA PANS DOWN TOO, and there is a cannon positioned VERY suggestively in relation to Jack. Go back and watch it!

hahhaahhaha I'm sorry, but could this be coincidence? It seems soo blatant to be coincidence and we all know how disney likes to put "messages" in their movies. haha Such overt phallic imagery, I just couldn't help noticing.

sccch
Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuAlpeRhx8 turn up your volume for it.

LovelyOne
OMG lol vegaofthelyre *goes to watch*

Also now with my theory of Jack's character changing..and changing for Liz (jar of dirt was a lesson for jack)..this scene makes alot more sense.

For him to win her over SHE needs to realise that HE cares about her MORE than his possessions and own well being..she was flat out hinting about how he could win her over in that scene..but he's just STILL not really getting it and that scene was a test in more than one way..he had the chance to either follow her into the boat or choose a material possession in a time of danger..

He chooses the jar of dirt over HER which means he is choosing the inanimate comfort and is ALSO only thinking about his own safety..and it totally back fires on him later..it makes him LOSE he realises that its his WEAKNESS...he needs to LEARN from that mistake if he wants to get Liz..Jar of dirt taught him valuable lesson...after he has learned this HE LETS liz see that she now means more to him than his own well being and meaningless crap in his life because he goes BACK for her..and he wins her over...which is why she became so threatened and chained him up..in the curiosity scene you could sort of see that she knew if he did the good thing for her it means that he wins her heart over (which she is actually fearing)...so THATS why she is disappointed and UNEASY that he pulls away...She didn't want him to do the good thing in that scene..she WANTED him to selfishly kiss her so that she couldn't fall for him..At the end he does something amazing for HER and she is TERRIFIED...so what does she do?

LovelyOne
Ok that makes hardly any sense..I'm not explaining myself all that well..I'm going to try again.

It's been established that Jack is having trouble realising how to Win Liz over in this movie..From the moment we first see him in movie 2 he is already experiencing "new" emotions..he's starting to not care about his own well being (compass not showing him the Key/chest) and he's starting to not care about his own objects(losing the hat) They are not really enough to keep him feeling strong in a time of danger....So he is subconsciously looking for something to protect and love (not himself for "once"wink..and he's also looking for something that can REALLY make him feel safe in a time of danger..and its NOT a material thing..It's obviously Elizabeth...He's having trouble figuring out if he actually wants her and WHY he wants her..AND how to win her over... and Tia actually steps in and helps..

To win her over he is going to have to stop thinking about himself all the time and he's going to have to stop putting all his love into material objects. Liz clearly has feelings for him..and has a fear of them she is in big denial..and she actually seems quite desperate to "make" him be a man who is too selfish to love her..to STOP her falling for him...the curiosity scene being the example..

She has just had a bit of a wakeup call to Jack..Norrington suspects she has feelings for him and now she does too..I think she knows that if Jack starts to show that he cares more about her than himself and his possessions then that gives her reason to fall for him....which she is afraid of..

what she says and does in that scene basically hints to Jack.."The only way for you to get me is if you show me that you love me and can put my feelings before yours...and we all know that you aren't capable of doing that..." She literally thinks that HE is about to kiss her..she KNOWS that he probably will... If he KISSES her here then that means he is SELFISHLY kissing her because she is saying its "not what she WANTS"...he PULLS AWAY and to her this means.."OMG Jack has just put MY feelings before HIS OWN FEELINGS...OH SHIT! I WASN'T EXPECTING THAT Jack just committed an honorable deed for me..his NOT acting selfish..what is going on?!" She didn't want him to do the "right thing" there because that would mean Jack is caring for her feelings instead of his own..which gives her all the more reason to embrace her feelings for him that she is so desperately trying to suppress..uh oh Liz...that little disappointed look and uneasiness is a little warning sign for what she is going to do later once he does that for her..AGAIN..

This actually makes me suspect Tia's intervention in this scene..the ring(Jack stole from her hut) is made to be obvious just before the black spot appears on that hand...Was this in fact TIA halting that kiss to stop Jack from screwing his chances with Liz up? If he kissed her there then he wouldn't have realised what he needed to do to win her over later..which was NOT be selfish around her..and Liz herself would have had reason not to fall for him had he selfishly kissed her there. So then her Jar of dirt enters to wake him the hell up to what he needs to do to truly win her over..."stop putting all of your love into material objects they cant always keep you safe!..SHOW liz that you care for her MORE than yourself and your objects"...and he does...and he wins her over..and she is terrified of it..

LovelyOne
LOL Liz keeps TRYING to get rid of the temptation of Jack but her plans to make him "leave" continuously BACKFIRE on her laughing out loud Jack keeps gaining the higher ground EVERY time she does this..laughing out loud Her feelings just grow stonger and STRONGER for him..

shannstar79

CaptinJackLover
I was going to post that song yesterday! but i couldnt think of the right thread to post it in!

shannstar79
Its a great song and It totally reminds me of Jack and Liz's situation. when ever I hear it I think of them and i seriously makes me want to cry it fits so well!!

CaptinJackLover
yeah i kno! the song fits them the best! but practically all songs remind me of POTC in one way or another lol

shannstar79

CaptinJackLover
OK that is like SO PERFECT!!!!!

shannstar79
I know Girl
That one is probably the best one to me!!

CaptinJackLover
Ya i dont think there are any that are better than that

shannstar79
This is slightly off topic from songs but, did you notice in Pirates 1 that Jack and Elizabeth both fell off of the fort in the same exact place. When she coulndt breathe in her corset, and when he was leaving to get to the pearl at the end. I though shows a great bit of forshadowing as to their relationship in the next movie
What do you guys think>

CaptinJackLover
ehh...it could. but its not likely. i dont think that could show taht they might have a future relationship. but im not saying that they dont. i just dont think it means anything

PirateDiva
So New to this.. but i have to say i was reading all your discussions on this scene and it's one of my favorites...i love all your takes on this scene in particular...i love it keep it up guys...I'm totally infatuated with the whole JACK/ LIZ/ WiLL Triangle...i think i'm obsessed..LOL! I LoVe the songs too!

LovelyOne
I changed my opinion now lol!

katelovespirate
Originally posted by LovelyOne
I changed my opinion now lol!

about what?

LovelyOne
I just see all of that as her "fish out of water" stage (stage 1) lol..the girl was stuck there for so friggin long(with Jack)..right till the end of the movie..all the denial/fear/anger of the special world(Jack/feelings for him) were building up..feeling more and more scared and out of place in that world so when the question comes up and she is thrown into the special world "be my girl Liz..see I did what you wanted" ..the refusal to the call was bound to be a climactic one. It was saved right till the end for that very reason..she royally freaked out and ran away like a scared kid back to the ordinary world (Will)

both Jack and Will got off that stage pretty early on in the movie...they were on it for about 6 minutes each..then Liz was on it for about 45 mins - 1 hour..maybe even more..the second the movie starts she's thrown into the world of Jack again...and she appears to have Jack on the brain as soon as Beckett suggets she has feelings for him..woman was fit to explode by the end of it.

PirateDiva
So how about the scene where Will and Liz are at the jail and he tells her that he has to go find Jack to get his compus....and he tells her that he is going and that he is coming back with every intension to marry her, "that is if you'll still have me."-will...does anyone think that that might be a form of foreshadowing maybe implying that she'll have a change of heart!

lovethemtigers
Originally posted by PirateDiva
So how about the scene where Will and Liz are at the jail and he tells her that he has to go find Jack to get his compus....and he tells her that he is going and that he is coming back with every intension to marry her, "that is if you'll still have me."-will...does anyone think that that might be a form of foreshadowing maybe implying that she'll have a change of heart!

Good point...never thought much about that line...but yes, that could be so true..cuz at this point (first time you see it) you might be thinking, "now why wouldn't Liz stil have Will"....but then as the movie unfolds and you explore all the other hidden clues, symbolisms, etc..you see what is meant here...another great clue as to the doomed relationship of Will and Liz...along with Beckett saying "fate intervenes" and Norrington saying "it's a curious thing"

LovelyOne
and then the "It's bad luck to see me before the wedding" etc

SO many hints!

the whole wedding day looked like a funeral

PirateDiva
LOL...u are so right! a wedding is suppose to be a HAPPY occasion! i had totally disregared that "it's bad luck for the groom to see the Bride before the wedding" line....ya thats like screaming LIZ IS GONNA FALL FOR JACK!!!

and the whole fact that it was raining too....i mean if the wedding would have actually happened....the rain would have bombared them and they would have had to stop it anyway....it's like the wedding was meant to be stopped!!!

LovelyOne
PirateDiva were you obssesed with PotC before the Jack/Liz aspect?

I liked the movie..but i was never THIS obssesed with it until the Jack/Liz aspect came along.

PirateDiva
I did like the movie a lot....mostly because i loved Johnny Depp! But obssesed i became the minute i saw Jack and Liz kiss....my heart sank and right there i knew the movie was going to be a huge epidemic! There is just something about FORBIDDEN LOVE that just captures an audience! Jack and Liz a huge factor as to why the movie is such a success!!

PirateDiva
I Also heard that in the Pirates 3 movie the scene with Jacks father only involves Jack, Liz, and Grant Sparrow... no Will! wonder where Will is? He's probably out risking his neck trying to rescue her (once again)...while she conveniently ends up alone with Sparrow again! How fortunate for her that she gets to meet Jack's Father...maybe taking that next step in the relationship..eh? Meeting the Parents...LOL!!!

Is it me or is it that in both Movies 1 & 2 More than half the time Will is out trying to save Liz....while she somehow always ends up with JACK alone somewhere!! Poor Will is out fighting monsters, settling other PPL's Debts, risking his life all to save her! I can see why it was such a stab in the heart when he saw Jack & Liz kissing! Oh well Jack and Liz are Hott together...LOL!!

katelovespirate
piratediva, you really hit it on the nose with the Forbidden Love thing... thats such an important aspect... thats totally the thing that makes the movie.

it seems to me that most of the time, Will is trying to fight destiny. Trying to fight his background, his love for a woman not of his class, etc etc etc. oh will.

PirateDiva
I Know thats what sparked my Obsession...LOL!! Jack And Liz Forever...LOL!!

And now that Will is also fighting for his father that might keep him a lil occupied....to let Liz do some more exploring with Jack...haha!

ottergirl25
I have to say- I love how movies and books, fiction that touches our hearts, inspires people to ponder, fantasize, discuss- it really opens doors in our minds. I love that. Sorry, just had to be said. I freaking love to read all of the posts your guys write on Jack/Liz/Will. It is the age old love triangle- the woman is 50% light and 50% dark- but the dark side always has to be kept hidden because she is of the female persuasion. She honestly does love Will- in a very light bright lovey dovey wife sense- she does, I know it. This is her light side- Will is her light side. Then we have Jack- her dark side... That 50% of her that holds her dark unspoken even unknown fantasies- the forbidden fruit- wants Jack very badly now too. The "lighter" Jack becomes, if he does, the harder it will be for her to choose between both men.

One thing tho- technically- Kiera and Johnny have total chemistry on screen. I like Orlando, but don't get chills running down my back when he and Kiera are on screen together like I do Jack and Liz.

ottergirl25
Sorry- it's been 15 minutes so I can not edit my prior post.

Like- I'm in my 30's- I totally should not be so wrapped up in a fictional character- but I just can't help it!

I only saw part 2 once- yes, I know- but when one works full time plus, has a part-time business AND is writing a historical pirate novel- I don't have much free time sad I can't wait for the DVD because I can watch at home while doing other stuff.

Anyway- I just popped over to YouTube to watch the "Persuade Me" clip and "Curiousity" clip. OMGosh- I did not realize it is so blatant- the attraction between Liz and Jack. It is rocking! I forgot Norrington says that to her- that he remembers a time when he wished she would have looked like that thinking of him, and she says she trusts Jack, that's all.

Woah- like, this is deep. I wonder what will happen next film!!! Oh please, if I was Liz- no holds barred, she's not married to Will yet- it would be Captain Jack Sparrow all night long...

Oops- I meant, you know, sailing on his ship all night long...

Darn it- I want that pirate captain!!!!!

LovelyOne
did you read that thing where ted elliot(script writer) explained what the compass was doing for both characters?

the persuade me scene was so sexually suggestve lol "you do know will taught me how to handle a sword" *cough*pecker!*cough*

Also I agree when I watched DMC the first time lots of things slipped past me lol

akanai
omg big grin yeah, so sexy scene big grin i love it!
and elliot really said thet? wow big grin sounds great

LovelyOne
no lol here's what he said big grin:

"The reason we included the "Why is the rum always gone?" line was not just as a callback to the first movie; it was intended to remind audiences of the specific circumstances that it referenced, and so act as a cue to what Jack had on his mind: the woman who he was first attracted to and then infuriated with (or: the woman who Jack never would have been infuriated with if he had not been attracted to).

So, the deal with compass: Jack simultaneously wanted Elizabeth and wanted to be as far from Elizabeth as possible. Whichever of those he wanted most would cause him to immediately want the other more ... so the compass would not settle, swinging between "Port Royal" and "antipode of Port Royal" (which is sort-of-but-not-quite Singapore, btw).

(There was much debate about whether, in the first scene aboard the Pearl, to show the compass pointing in a specific direction and have Jack set course in the opposite direction, or to show it as it is in the movie. I think the first would have made it more clear to the audience that something weird was going on with Jack ("he's not going where the compass points? What's up with that?"wink, but the second is actually more demonstrative of his emotional state)(at least, that was the theory).

And, as long as I'm breaking silence on the compass, let me just say: there's no transference. If it points to a waffle, it's not pointing to the waffle because you're hungry or because you really want to be Belgian or something; it points to the waffle 'cause what you want most is that waffle.

Of course, if you've been hungry for a while, anticipating the most delicious meal you could ever imagine, and for some reason you couldn't partake of that meal, and then you found yourself in the presence of a very interesting waffle ... well, that doesn't mean that you suddenly think the aforementioned meal would not be delicious. It just means that, right then, that waffle seems pretty tempting.

Does that make you a terrible person?"

------------------

Basically they are both vexed over each other..Jack is vexed by a woman(Liz) and Liz is vexed by a man (Jack)

they both want each other but at the same time they dont lol..Jack actually decideds to have her in his life at the end but Liz is still a bit behind lmao

Jack's compass kept pointing away from her because he didnt want to make her an obligation in his life

With Liz the compass pointed to Jack sometimes and then pointed at the means to save Will(chest)

They both basically have an emotional battle going on.

katelovespirate
Why oh Why are they setting it up this way?!?!? Why are they making Jack truly love her if they arent going to give her to him??!? WHAT DO THEY THINK THEY ARE DOING?!??

akanai
agree >< they don't know what they're doing XD''

LovelyOne
Why oh Why are they setting it up this way?!?!? Why are they making Jack truly love her if they arent going to give her to him??!? WHAT DO THEY THINK THEY ARE DOING?!??

LOL he obviously does by the end of it..and IMO as soon as he let Liz on board THAT was the changing point..he was previously running away from her(step 1 fish out of water)..Will asked him to save her (step 2 call to adventure) and he refused because of his little fear of making her an obligation in his life(step 3 refusal of the call because the hero fears the quest)..Then he meets the mentor (step 4) who actually can see into what his heart truly desires(Naomi(spell?) Harris said this herself), She secretly helps him on his way without telling him. Then as soon as he bumps into Elizabeth? He takes her willingly on board.(step 5 crossing the first threshold)..and it wasn't ALL about the compass...there is that little moment where he says "It points to what you want most in this world" and he looks at her with such a wanting in his eyes.

willofthewisp
It is an interesting scene how they play it. Jack gets so elaborate to draw her in, get her interested. But he doesn't realize he's flirting with her. He's almost teasing her with it and she gets completely reeled in. Look how fascinated she looks when he tells her about the compass. She's so mesmerized by it she has to stop and ask him if he's telling the truth, which he is. The only thing he lied to her about was that he had nothing to do with Will's "disappearance."
It makes the scene about much more than two people trying to find a chest. I'm not saying there is anything metaphorical about what they're saying. (It points to what you want the most...and I mean you, baby), but look at the body language, how their eyes are lighting up. He's going to get her on that ship one way or another.

LovelyOne
exactly. I agree with you...even the camera zooms in on his face, the music is really emotional..then it zooms in on her reaction..she totally blushed there lol. the music is still emotional..then she goes into her denial and the music jolts a bit..

I also love how when she shouts "JACK!" he looks scared.

gotta say something rather random about the kiss..If that kiss was only to chain him up she need not have closed her eyes..if it was to only get him to the mast and nothing else..she would have made sure she could see the mast whilst she was pushing him..she totally milked that kiss for all she could get before leaving him.

willofthewisp
Duh! Lol, I see why you said it, but it's the keeptothecode losers you need to convince. We're all on your side here at this end.

Also, she wouldn't have had to wait until everyone was off if it was for the sole purpose of chaining him. They would have all been stunned at first, but then agreed with her and reluctantly left, hearts broken about their choice. She wanted him alone. Notice he doesn't cry out for help, and she knows he won't. There was no other reason to wait until everyone was off besides wanting him all to herself for just a few minutes.

LovelyOne
Yeah I agree with you about wanting him alone..I mean will was right near her..so it wasn't so he couldn't see.

I dunno if she knew how he would react...I don't think she even realised till much later that he put up no fight what so ever lol..she was totally taken aback by how good the kiss was..I don't think she noticed..He even heard the chain rattle and waited for her to clamp it shut..then he smiled big grin..meanwhile she's having trouble breathing properly

I think she realised that he was going to stay anyway whilst she was in Tia's hut...so she need not have done it..and IMO she realizes he came back cuz he loved her..and he wasn't going to force himself in her life..he was going to stay and die for her whilst she escaped.

katelovespirate
its so interesting to me that in the original version, Elizabeth was just going to use a sword to chain him up.

T and T keep talking about pushing things as FAR as they can go... and if they havent made people totally dumbfounded and surprised, they need to take it furthur. I hope they keep this in mind when filming all scenes with Jack and Liz near the cabin in 3.... wink

CaptinJackLover
yes! they definatley should! im glasd they decided they needed more than her just using a retartded sword...the kiss is what really got people so interested in the movie...the sword wouldve have made it excitred but not AS exciting

willofthewisp
Wow, they were going to use a sword? How predictable. I'm glad they changed it just for that reason. I was not expecting them to kiss at all. The curiosity scene was as close as I thought they would get, at least in this movie.

Me watching: Abandon the Pearl? Jack looks so sad. Wait....why is Liz looking at him like she has something up her sleeve? Oh. She's just thanking him. That's kind of nice. ........ OMIGOD! I AM SO HOT RIGHT NOW! YEAH! TAKE HIM, LIZ! UNLEASH THE BEAST!

CaptinJackLover
HAHAHAH LOL!

my exact thoughts!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.