Virgil Donati vs Mike Portnoy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

blind faith
so who do you think is the better drummer in your opinion?

Don't just think of technique, think also of the music.

Discuss...

Victor Von Doom
Portnoy.

Music definitely, technique probably.

blind faith
well Portnoy plays more normal music, Virgil is a virtuoso,although I think he has the edge in technique, watch this solo and you'll see what I mean. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inhckpMxxdo smile

Victor Von Doom
Yes, I've seen them both play a lot.

Portnoy isn't less skilled.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by blind faith
well Portnoy plays more normal music, Virgil is a virtuoso,although I think he has the edge in technique, watch this solo and you'll see what I mean. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inhckpMxxdo smile

I swear you said "Don't just think of technique.", and then go on to use technique as a "decider" in finding your opinion.

Portnoy playing "normal music" (which he doesn't) wouldn't mean a thing. Lots of drummers who don't play major technical material are still brilliant drummers.

-AC

~Da Rev~
well Portnoy plays more normal music, Virgil is a virtuoso,although I think he has the edge in technique, watch this solo and you'll see what I mean. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inhckpMxxdo smile Its nothing special. Sure, he can do some stick flips, but thats nothing compared to other drummers. He's good, but there are better.

blind faith
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I swear you said "Don't just think of technique.", and then go on to use technique as a "decider" in finding your opinion.

Portnoy playing "normal music" (which he doesn't) wouldn't mean a thing. Lots of drummers who don't play major technical material are still brilliant drummers.

-AC No, I did not use technique as the winning factor confused , I answered Victor Von Doom's post because he said "technique probably" so I chosed to disprove that by showing him the video.

Portnoy plays more normal music compared to Virgil Donati. That's what I meant. Not to mention I never said that Mike is a bad drummer did I? I actually have more bias towards Mike than Virgil.

Originally posted by ~Da Rev~
Its nothing special. Sure, he can do some stick flips, but thats nothing compared to other drummers. He's good, but there are better. OK that's good for you if that's what you think:smile:. Just out of pure curiosity, who are, according to you, better drummers than Virgil?

Alpha Centauri
No, I did not use technique as the winning factor confused , I answered Victor Von Doom's post because he said "technique probably" so I chosed to disprove that by showing him the video.

You didn't disprove it. I know for a fact that both he and I had seen the video before.

Portnoy is still better.

Portnoy plays more normal music compared to Virgil Donati. That's what I meant. Not to mention I never said that Mike is a bad drummer did I? I actually have more bias towards Mike than Virgil.

So? This doesn't change the idea of Portnoy being a better drummer.

-AC

~Flamboyant~
What band is Virgil Donati from?

Victor Von Doom
He drums for Steve Vai, but he's done many things.

~Flamboyant~
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
He drums for Steve Vai, but he's done many things. Oh. I'd say Mike Portnoy then.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by ~Flamboyant~
Oh. I'd say Mike Portnoy then.

Based on knowing who he drums for but not having heard him?

blahhlahblah
Come on guys! Listen to "On the Virg" and "Planet X". I consider myself to be an OK drummer and even I can play Mike's beats, but I can not touch Virgil's. As far as playing with a band, I believe that again Virgil takes the cake. Even with such crazy time signatures Donati accents with the band like nobody's business. All he does is practice. He has no life.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.