psychology

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

debbiejo
Who here has studied psychology, and would want to talk about some aspects of it?

Evil Dead
I have take a course or two........I wouldn't say I've studied it though, wasn't my major.

debbiejo
don't need IMO to take it in school...............that is only for a degree.........

I have studied it for over probably 15 years as a hobby just as other subjects that I thought were of interest...........though thinking of going to Unvi. this fall and would like to talk about categories...

debbiejo
Well, I want to go back to school, and have always been told this is where I should be...................soooooooo................would like to know the pros and cons about it.............I already know about the high suicide rate.

leonidas
i majored in it for 5 years. i loved neuroscience, especially its cogitive applications. i liked that area better than the diagnostic areas or clinical areas because there was/is still so much . . . 'inexactness' in those areas. even today much of clinical psych is viewed as a pseudo-science, though it is tending more toward pharacology than medicine . . .

Bardock42
I took a one year elective in school to which I didn't pay the slightest bit of attention...I'd consider myself an expert.

KidRock
Originally posted by debbiejo
Who here has studied psychology, and would want to talk about some aspects of it?

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/741/inspcaptkirkrg7.png

I took Psych 1 and 2 in HS..what would you like to discuss? I dont remember anything except analyzing dreams and...ummm..some other stuff. Just need something to spark my memory.

ILoveMyDaniel
Taking it right now in High School.

ThePittman
Studied it as a passing fancy.

Nazgulinthedark

I've always found psychology extremely interesting, and psychiatry even more so, but I haven't had the opprotunity to take any classes in it.

Soleran
Majoring in Psychology is an expensive self-help sessionsmile

KidRock
Dont talk about psychiatry around tom cruise..because really..you just dont know the facts, you havent studied them like tom cruise has.

Regret

Worked my way through Post-Doc work, and currently have been working in the field.

I am Skinnarian, if that doesn't scare you then I'm fine talking about it.

My area of emphasis was organization behavior management split with autism. My strengths were behavior analysis, research methodology, physiological/neurological psychology, neurophysiology, history of psych, and statistics (All of which I scored in the 95th percentile or higher in my school's testing in comparison with all graduates in the field at that school.) I followed a fairly clean slope from concrete psychology to the more inferential and abstract schools of thought. My worst area of psychology is personality theory, since I believe the entire area is crap. I abhor the cognitive, due to its total inferential basis, and so my knowledge is less than perfect there.

Regret
Psychiatry is the drug pusher area of psychology. wink

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Regret
Worked my way through Post-Doc work, and currently have been working in the field.

I am Skinnarian, if that doesn't scare you then I'm fine talking about it.

My area of emphasis was organization behavior management split with autism. My strengths were behavior analysis, research methodology, physiological/neurological psychology, neurophysiology, history of psych, and statistics (All of which I scored in the 95th percentile or higher in my school's testing in comparison with all graduates in the field at that school.) I followed a fairly clean slope from concrete psychology to the more inferential and abstract schools of thought. My worst area of psychology is personality theory, since I believe the entire area is crap. I abhor the cognitive, due to its total inferential basis, and so my knowledge is less than perfect there.

I think Debbie just wanted to talk about starsigns...

Regret
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I think Debbie just wanted to talk about starsigns...

All the same, Debbiejo, if you want to discuss it PM me

Nazgulinthedark
Psychiatry is the drug pusher area of psychology. wink

Aren't psychiatrist also real doctors? Like they have an M.D. and the end of their name and went to med school, and psychologists only have a Ph.d.? Something like that... erm

Bardock42
All the same, Debbiejo, if you want to discuss it PM me

...you are joking, right?

doomsday49
does anybody here know anything about the maslow heiarchy of need?

doomsday49
By the way i'm going for behavior psychology.

Lana
Originally posted by Nazgulinthedark
Aren't psychiatrist also real doctors? Like they have an M.D. and the end of their name and went to med school, and psychologists only have a Ph.d.? Something like that... erm

Um, someone with a PhD is a real doctor, as much as a person with an MD. PhD is a doctorate of philosophy, while MD is a doctorate of medicine. To be a psychiatrist you need an MD. Anyone with a doctorate is a real doctor, just not necessarily a medical doctor. My uncle has a PhD in math.

However, you are correct in saying that a psychiatrist needs an MD. To be a psychologist you need a PhD.

I'm majoring in psych myself, and hope to eventually get my PhD in it.

babe_89
LiL nAstY GirL
Feline of Avenue B

Hi
How are you?

I would just like you to know that I'm going out with Leo, and would highly appriciate it if you would stop throwing yourself at him. Not to be a ***** or anything, but I love him with my whole heart, and dont want to get it broken.

Thanks,
Allie

Thanks ThePittman

get a load of this stupid ***** jumping to conclusions and making up her own little story.

Nazgulinthedark
Originally posted by babe_89
LiL nAstY GirL
Feline of Avenue B

Hi
How are you?

I would just like you to know that I'm going out with Leo, and would highly appriciate it if you would stop throwing yourself at him. Not to be a ***** or anything, but I love him with my whole heart, and dont want to get it broken.

Thanks,
Allie

Thanks ThePittman

get a load of this stupid ***** jumping to conclusions and making up her own little story.

I think you're in the wrong thread. confused

Lana - Thank you for the clarification. smile

Bardock42
Originally posted by babe_89
LiL nAstY GirL
Feline of Avenue B

Hi
How are you?

Thanks,
Allie

Thanks ThePittman

You must be the dumbest member I have ever encountered...and I talked to socks of whob.

Anyways, is it just me or does anyone else notice that a huge amount of people nowadays study psychology....like a really huge amount...like..wow?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Bardock42
Anyways, is it just me or does anyone else notice that a huge amount of people nowadays study psychology....like a really huge amount...like..wow?

Yeah, everyone just wants to masturbate their own minds.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, everyone just wants to masturbate their own minds.

seriously, I mean what the hell changed in the world that we now need people to doctor around in our brains. I think people just don't know what real problems are anymore.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, I remember when all this was nothing but green fields...

I think the reason is that as a result of increased leisure time, our ears pick up on the tick-tock of our brain. Freaks most people out, but I drum along to it.

Regret
Originally posted by Nazgulinthedark

Psychiatrists typically get a bachelors in psychology and then go to a medical school that deals with psychological phenomena from a medical stance, typically through pharmacology. They do get an M.D.

The term "doctor" was originally used to describe an educated individual. The medical field were termed physicians and surgeons, as well as other titles. The medical field began using the term "doctor" in their title because they fit the term, and also to differentiate between legitimate practitioners and the bogus con artists that were selling heal all remedies.

Regret
Originally posted by doomsday49
does anybody here know anything about the maslow heiarchy of need?

Maslows Hierarchy of needs:

****/Need for self actualization
***/Esteem needs
**/Belongingness and Love needs
*/Safety needs; Security, order and stability
/Physiological needs; food, water and sex

Maslow was a quack though. But that is from a Skinnarian behavioral stance wink we don't get on well with the internal schools psychology like humanistic psychology.

Great Vengeance
Originally posted by KidRock
Dont talk about psychiatry around tom cruise..because really..you just dont know the facts, you havent studied them like tom cruise has.

Lawl.

debbiejo
I've always found psychology fascinating.........I didn't realize though that it could take like 7 years to get into it..........God!! I'm doing it for free now..

I want my money. mad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.